Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So, what are you listening to? (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  15  16  17   
Author Topic: So, what are you listening to?
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Had a road trip to Dartmouth just before Christmas so I took the opportunity to switch out the CDs in the car. This is what's now been in rotation since then:

Led Zeppelin - Box Set Disc 2

Sloan - One Chord to Another

White Stripes - Elephant

Beck - Mellow Gold

Cure - Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me

Pure Funk (Various Artists)

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been listening to a lot of 60s stuff lately. Right now I'm going through a Byrds phase. Their first half-dozen albums are rarely less than interesting. The one I have on right now is The Notorious Byrd Brothers, whose opening track, the brass-driven "Artificial Energy", just had to have influenced the first Teardrop Explodes album!

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Have fun, Harbi. [Smile]

I like Simon & Garfunkel a lot, their solo careers not so much, especially not Simon's. I think that, like a lot of rock stars, he lost touch with the everyday world at some point, and his lyrics became patronizing and pretentious. Just my opinion.

FWIW, Art Garfunkel's Scissors Cut is mostly a sweet, unassuming record that probably would've been heavily played on "Adult Contemporary" stations or on VH1 if either had existed at the time. Some of the songs cry out for full-blown cheese-laden arrangements that they sadly didn't get. Which makes sense, given that most or all of them were written by the dude who wrote "MacArthur Park."

Case in point. (The YouTube poster not only gets the title wrong, they attribute it to the wrong LP. "Watermark" isn't bad, but its arrangements sound even more dated now than the SC ones do.)

I'd love to hear this one again. Maybe it's about to cycle around into "so-bad-it's-good" territory, whereupon billions of irony-loving hipsters will pounce on the vinyl version and drive its price up into the triple digits. (Not that anyone should pay that much, but... [Razz] )

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Garfunkel sings songs by Jimmy Webb? How could I refuse? Thanks for the heads-up and for the sample track, Cleome.

Maybe it'll help me forgive Garfunkel for doing that smugly deadpan cover of Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]

I missed that one, FL. I knew the poor man was on a slippery slope when he started making records with Amy Grant, though.

[Evil]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

The saddest thing is that most of the current country-pop princesses actually make Amy Grant look good!

Funnily enough, one of the very few that I like is American Idol alum Carrie Underwood. Especially her first album, "Some Hearts."

Even funnier, one of the songs she sang on AI was..."MacArthur Park."

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Been listening to mostly hard rock stuff. Old AC/DC, zep. And some country. Older stuff from the 90's somewhat.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Medusa by Annie Lennox, her version of the clash song Train in Vain is fantastic!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Love that album, Harbinger. You inspired me to post a Youtube link on the Amazing Covers thread. She also does the most haunting cover of "Whiter Shade of Pale" on Medusa.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
I've been listening to a lot of 60s stuff lately. Right now I'm going through a Byrds phase. Their first half-dozen albums are rarely less than interesting. The one I have on right now is The Notorious Byrd Brothers, whose opening track, the brass-driven "Artificial Energy", just had to have influenced the first Teardrop Explodes album!

The early Byrds albums are terrific! They not only had solid hits but put together nice broad perspective albums. They get tons of praise for their harmonizing--and rightly so--but u think sometimes they're underrated for their talent as musicians beyond that. Great array of instruments, grew lead vocals, the occasional off the beaten path arrangement...all groovy stuff!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree 100%, Cobie.

In fact, you've inspired me to give their "Mr. Tambourine Man" album yet another spin right now. Thanks.

Then, as an added bonus, I'll put on the Turtles' "You Showed Me", which was written by the Byrds' Clark & McGuinn, but abandoned at the demo stage.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Right now, I'm listening to this 80s gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98qdFQF7sw

--------------------

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
badmotorfinger

3 days on repeat in the car and it hasn't gotten old yet.

When the kids are in the car though, we're listening to The White Stripes' Icky Thump. My son loves "Conquest", and my daughter likes "Prickly Thorn"

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm currently hooked on 3 divas: Rumer, Lana Del Rey & Imelda May.
Also recently discovered Dum Dum Girls & Those Darlins, two pop/punk girl bands.

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8eRdFK710

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.