Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So, what are you listening to? (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: So, what are you listening to?
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
hard to go wrong with that, Set.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I seem to have misplaced a lot of my old cd's, cause some of the things I wanna listen too, I can only find the cd case for. Rick James' Icon album has been in the cd player for over a month now.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I listened to the Beatles' White Album on the way home from Charlotte today. I never gets old!

I think today, for the first time, I realized that it wasn't chock full of their biggest, signature hits like their other albums. In a way the White Album is all the better for that, I believe.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm preparing for a Kataklysm concert in Edmonton next week, so I've been getting pumped up on their music for the past few days
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady Fanfic Lady has just turned 43
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
I listened to the Beatles' White Album on the way home from Charlotte today. I never gets old!

I think today, for the first time, I realized that it wasn't chock full of their biggest, signature hits like their other albums. In a way the White Album is all the better for that, I believe.

Good observation, Lardy. You've helped me finally figure out just what that certain je nes sais quoi about the White Album actually is. Thank you.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree about the White Album too. George Martin has stated he'd have preferred to pare it down to one album of just the "best" tracks more along the lines of "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver." I'm glad the band had the clout to put the whole thing out. I'm sure we would've lost at least two George Harrison songs and they rarely went back to songs they'd discarded after earlier sessions. Personally I've tried to figure out my own one-disc White Album and I can't do it.

As to what I listened to today: two Blake Babies albums, "Earwig" and "Sunburn." Even the throwaway tracks are steeped in that late 80's "college rock" sound that I'm still a sucker for.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Lately, I've been frequently spinning Kate Bush's debut album, "The Kick Inside." It's a testament to her talent that, while she has followed it up with even greater albums, the debut still sounds as fresh and frisky and bursting with potential as I imagine it must have back in 1978.

This is part of my chronological revisiting of Kate's complete discography. The IMO underrated "Lionheart" is up next.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Got my mother the Ultimate Bee Gees 2 disc set, so of course I finally ripped it to my MP3 player and have listened to it every day for the last week or so.

Even watched a documentary on them a few days ago. A truly talented group of brothers who are unfairly considered the Disco guys by way too many people.

They had a long career before and after that period. So sad that only Barry is left.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Now my heart is full

What Dev said. [Yes]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
There are few things that surprise me anymore about our shared taste in music Fanfie.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Now my heart is full

[Big Grin]

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Getting into mega-obscure territory here, but:

Tops of Trees, by harpist Carol Emanuel (1992). She's somewhat well-known to jazz fans for working in improv groups with free/noisy jazz musicians like John Zorn. But here she's mostly in duos or trios, playing modern-day pieces with a half-classical, half-jazz feel.

There's some atonality, but also strong melodic sensations coming through most of the pieces. My favorite is "How Long is the Coast of Brittany?" I guess it's kind of dated now, but Emanuel's playing is energetic and atmospheric without lapsing into New Age noodling, while a group of female singers provide wordless "siren" vocals to punctuate the strings. "Listening to Robin" and "Singing Sands" are the most listener friendly pieces: good to wake up to on a Sunday morning.

I know she's made at least one other disc since this one came out, but I haven't bought much new music in the last few years.

[ETA- Just had a chance to hear the newer one, called Allow It To Happen (2010). So far, not impressed. There's way too much emphasis on New-Agey lyrics and "lite" classical arrangements this time around for my taste. Though technically the playing is good.]

[shrug]

[ September 16, 2012, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: cleome46 ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Been watching the Strikeback series, and have gotten addicted to it's theme song, Short Change Hero.

It's totally catchy.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Listening to the Proclaimers, not something I'd admit to everyone but I just love them

[Love] [Love] 500 Miles!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Well, I've got a new stereo in my old truck, one that will take cd's and has a usb port. So, Carol's gonna take a look at my gear, and see if we can take all my old albums on cd and copy them to a flashdrive. Then see if I can plug it in and listen to it in the truck. If I do, I can listen to about 100 different albums.

--------------------

Something pithy!

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.