Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So, what are you listening to? (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: So, what are you listening to?
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Those are great songs, too, Set.

Tonight's excusion into Youtube began with Genesis and to Murray Head's One Night in Bangkok. This song was part of a Broadway musical called "Chess," and was composed by Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Anderssen (better known as the male half of Abba) and Tim Rice (lyricist of "Jesus Christ Superstar" fame).

The lyrics are a little hard to understand at first, so here's a transcript.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

Home by the Sea is another favorite. I have no idea what it's about, but I was reading a lot of Poe (Annabelle Lee, in her sepulchre by the sea...) and Lovecraft when it came out, and the song creeped me out with lines like 'shadows with no substance, in the shape of men.'

It's basically about a burglar breaking into a haunted house.

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:

I love the lines, "I won't be home tonight/Our generation will put it right." They sound almost hopelessly naive but also optimistic for the future.

That's actually what's always bothered me about the song. Rutherford's lyrics just seem so hopelessly naive. It just always feels like there should be some sort of ironic twist in the song that never comes. I've always preferred the much-less-catchy but much-more-introspective
Feeding the Fire which covers similar Cold War themes.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

It was announced today that Michael Dunford, guitarist and main composer of Renaissance, passed away yesterday.

So, I've been listening to a lot of their stuff today.

Their biggest hit, Northern Lights.

One of the most beautiful songs ever, Ocean Gypsy.

A recent tune, Mystic and the Muse.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd never heard "Feed the Fire" before. Thanks for posting it. It's a much more sophisticated treatment of the same themes.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Sorry to hear about Dunford's passing.

Renaissance never really grabbed me. I was only interested in them as a peripheral connection to the Yardbirds (Keith Relf and Jim McCarty were original members of Renaissance), but their music was very haunting and beautiful.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

A few more thoughts on "Land of Confusion":

The song's naivete harkens back to the '60s, when bands of that era thought they could change the world with their music. Naive, yes, but I find it hopeful that every generation thinks it can make a positive difference.

I still admire the lyrics, "There's too many men, too many people/making too many problems/And not much love to go round. . . . This is the world we live in/And these are the hands we're given/Use them and let's start trying/To make it a place worth living in." It's not the most profound statement, but in plain language they urge the listener to take action with whatever talents and skills are at his or her disposal to bring more love into the world. Not a bad goal, indeed.

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
There was definitely a surge in 'musical activism' with things like Farm Aid and 'We Are the World' and various bands making a commitment to not play Sun City (in South Africa) as a protest against Apartheid, etc. Suddenly rich and popular people with tons of money and tons of fans, asking themselves, 'is there something I should be doing with all this other than blowing it all on parties and coke?'

Various bands and artists touched on the Cold War / Soviet theme, the Scorpions singing 'only love can bring down the wall, someday', Sting singing that Russians 'love their children too,' even Elton John singing about a forbidden romance with someone named Nikita 'with eyes like ice on fire,' etc. (back when he wasn't 'officially' gay yet, and people could poke fun that he'd 'accidentally' used a Russian man's name for the woman he was expected to be singing about...).

And Billy Joel, with 'We Didn't Start the Fire,' trying to wrap his head around how strange the world had gotten in his generation.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Don't forget Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun," about child molestation. (Or, better yet, maybe we should forget it.)

Some of these songs probably genuinely attempted to address wrongs; others may have been bandwagon jumpers: "So-and-so wrote a socially relevant hit; let's see what we can come up with."

Back in the '60s, songs with socially relevant or political protest lyrics were new enough that they seemed more genuine, particularly when they were obviously not intended for radio airplay ("I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag" by Country Joe & The Fish). Even popular artists like John Lennon risked being laughed at for using their fame as a bully pulpit to express their views.

In the era of MTV, though, there was nothing controversial (from an American standpoint, at least) about "Sun City," "We Are the World" or "Russians". Those songs merely confirmed sentiments already agreed upon most listeners. A bit more controversial and more clumsily genuine was "Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid (the song that kicked off the charity movement of the '80s)--clumsy because, as someone on TV pointed out a few years ago, it was condescending to people in Africa (of course they knew it was Christmas), but at least the song's heart was in the right place.

Social relevance and rock 'n' roll is always an awkward marriage. Many rockers simply don't know what they are talking about, but they have the clout to get their message across, and they have the means to motivate young people. On the other hand, simplistic views of complex social issues (such as the "our generation will put it right" mentality of "Land of Confusion") can do more harm than good. Young people who try to make change and find out it's not so simple may give up or retreat into cynicism and selfishness. Some argue that's what happened to the Woodstock generation in the '70s.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Part of the difference between the 60s and the 80s is that rock bands of the 60s were typically young people from solidly working class backgrounds, and so "socially relevant" songs often reflected more directly their experiences. A band like Genesis (and I think this generalizes to a lot of 80s "rock stars"), by contrast, were from a mostly upper middle class background (they were formed at an exclusive private school), and were well in their thirties and quite wealthy by the mid-80s, and so their attempts to come off as "socially relevant" tend to come off much more artificial.

With regards to the "naivete" of "Land of Confusion", part of what's frustrating to me is that typically they tend to be a much more cerebral band, and that there tends to be a theme running through a number of their songs that one should distrust the hubris of anyone who claims that they're going to suddenly make the world better. So LoC kind of generates a reaction of "haven't you guys listened to your own songs?" whenever I hear it.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Good points, Eryk.

As I recall, Phil Collins came from a working class background whereas Rutherford and Banks had been students at Charterhouse. But, as you point out, Collins was in his 30s and quite well off (and extremely popular as a solo artist) by the time of "Land of Confusion" -- the lyrics of which were written by Rutherford, in any case.

In the '50s and '60s, rock 'n' roll was by its very nature controversial, socially relevant, and a form of protest. By the '80s, this was no longer the case, and so attempts by artists of that era to come off as such do seem to fall flat if not come off as hypocritical.

--------------------

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't say that the activism of the 80's fell flat. An event like Live Aid was unheard of at the time in terms of its scope and benefitted a lot more people than Woodstock ever did. Yes, they were very different things, but while the pop musicians of the 80's did not represent the counter-culture, they represented a segment of the "haves" that made sure to remind us of the "have-nots", which in the "me" decade, perhaps was a bit counter-culture.

Artists like U2 were certainly protesting. Springsteen was certainly protesting. (despite what Reagan might have thought) Just because they didn't represent a counter-culture didn't make their message less relevant. Personally, a lot of the people in that overly-romanticised counter-culture of the 60's weren't doing much more than being self-indulgent - especially in rock. Folk was the more socially-minded music of the time anyway.

IMO.... \m/ [Yes] \m/

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Drake, welcome back! [Smile]

I agree with you, up to a point. There is romanticizing of the Sixties, but it comes from both sides: the worshipers and the detractors.

Over the last year, I've done some reading on the history of People's Park, for instance. It's not something that was ever mentioned in the mass media nostalgia trips that took place in the Eighties when the Sixties were being discussed. I think one reason it wasn't mentioned is because it flew in the face of many myths about the era: both pro and con.

I have mixed feelings about events like Live Aid. Yes, they pointed towards the generosity of some very wealthy, influential people. But they also pushed a notion that it was no longer realistic for we, the "commoners" to expect economic and social justice from our own elected leaders. Our main hope was random largesse from celebrities. (I feel the same way about events like Comic Relief, which grew against a backdrop of social programs being slashed all over the place during the Reagan Era.)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Trying desperately to jump-start my day here. I started with the Traditional Jazz show on KMHD. Now I've moved on to a mix of Black Watch songs. (The California pop band I've plugged here before, not the Scots with bagpipes.)

Though if I can't pull myself together soon, I might need some bagpipes. Or else a collection of Viridis Lament's Greatest Hits.

"Maybe maybe maybe you just haven't met
The Wrong People yet..."

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.