Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So, what are you listening to? (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: So, what are you listening to?
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Been listening to My Chem's DANGERDAYS: the true lives of the Fabulous Killjoys pretty much nonstop since I got it for X-Mas. I love how it's so different from Black Parade yet still so good. I could see LASH clubbing to Planetary (GO), and the first two singles, Na Na Na and Sing are great songs-- love the videos, especially in that they're opposites, with the upbeat feel of NNN and the downbeat vibe to Sing. My current fave is the final track Vampire Money, a punked-out old-school rocker taking a jab at the current Twilight ( [Disgusting] ) craze-- "Sparkle like Bowie in the morning sun" is a direct jab at Pattinson's twinkletoes Lestat wannabe. [Roll Eyes] [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Rubber Soul is my favorite Beatles album.

Traditionally, Rubber Soul has always been my favorite, but just now (within the last 48 hours) I think I'm ready to proclaim Help! as my all-time favorite. Of course, that's a tongue in check comparison because they are both utterly fantastic.

One album I've never given a chance before but I'm also listening to (rotating with Help) is Magical Mystery Tour. Mainly, the end sequence in Across the Universe with "All You Need is Love" was so damn AMAZING that I've just been obssessed by the song (see: thread I started several months ago where FL harmonized for me [Smile] ).

I plan to give each album a solid listen to over the next few months, as well as all the singles. I'll be doing it all out of order though to keep things as fresh as possible.

Interesting. I haven't listened to the pre-Rubber Soul albums in years, as I'd rather snobbishly dismissed them as a bit lightweight. You've inspired me to go back for another listen. [Smile]

ATM, though, I'm listening to XTC's "Skylarking", the band at its most Beatles-esque thanks to Todd Rundgren's amazing production. (I think if John had still been alive in 1986, he'd probably have loved "Dear God.")

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
this.

Tito Nieves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0R_QTnKzA&feature=related

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
SANTA MARIAS (2008)

Mitzi Dodge, Betsy Todd & Palmyra Delran!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I listened to two of the Singles compilations over the weekend, which was cool, but now I want to move onto a new Beatles album. Since I'm purposely not doing in any sort of order, I went next to SGT Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said--and I've always enjoyed the album--but I plan to at least try to give it a fresh listen this week.

One thing I've noticed is I'm actually enjoying the Beatles "With a Little Help from my Friends", where I usually skipped over it since Joe Cocker has the definitive, awesome version of that song.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Nothing lately. Life's been crazy.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

this: Mondo bongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B9OaJIFumg

--------------------

Something pithy!

Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Trawling through YouTube, I recently came across a few songs from the early 70's by a singer named Emily Bindiger. It was sort of a psychedelic-folky sound (sort of early Grace Slick crossed with Natalie Merchant). Here's a few samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iqpL6_q3Lg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCw7VGtv74s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUPQA1baaU

I tracked down the rest of the album, just called "Emily" and the whole thing was just phenomenal. It seems it was her only solo album, recorded when she was just 16, backed by the French psych band Dynastie Crisis. It was so good, though, I wondered how why I had never heard her before.

Well, a bit of googling later and it turns out that I have heard her... obscurely... in every decade of my life. It seems that after this album, she toured with Leonard Cohen, and later recorded with him, being the female half of the duet on "Who by Fire," which was one of my favorite songs as a teen. A few years later, she was cast in the children's program, "The Great Space Coaster," which I watched every morning before school as a little kid. She later got into voicing TV jingles, being the voice behind, "Wait'll we get our Hanes on you..." and "Trust Sleepy's... for the rest of your life." More recently, she's been performing with an a capella group who, somewhat notably, sang the "Spider Pig" song from the Simpsons Movie.

What an absolutely bizarre career!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Do you think she may be stalking you, Exnihil?

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

I've been listening to the Oxford American's latest Southern Music CD. Alabama (the state, not the band) is the focus this year. Some great stuff you've probably never heard before.

--------------------

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Amos Lee, my new favorite. Started with his newest, Mission Bell, and also his self-titled album.

--------------------

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Rick Wakeman:
THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII
JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH
THE MYTHS AND LEGENDS OF KING ARTHUR AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE
NO EARTHLY CONNECTION
WHITE ROCK
CRIMINAL RECORD
RHAPSODIES
ROCK N ROLL PROPHET
G'OLE
COST OF LIVING
CRIMES OF PASSION
SILENT NIGHTS

(The early-80's albums tend to be a low point, sadly... but he got much better again in the mid-late 80's... at least for awhile.)

profh0011
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
since Joe Cocker has the definitive, awesome version of that song.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
^I'm with Prof on this one Cobie.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

On the other hand, I dig BIG DADDY'S album "SGT. PEPPER'S". They redid the entire album in the style of various 50's rock & roll artists.

"With A Little Help..." in the style of Johnny Mathis' "It's Not For me To Say"

"Lucy In The Sky..." in the style of Jerry Lee Lewis' "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On"

"Within You Without You" done as a spoken-word poem recited by a Greenwich Village coffee house beatnik

...and the kicker...

"A Day In The Life" as a Buddy Holly tribute. The "John" section in the style of "Peggy Sue", the "Paul" section in the style of the flip side, "Everyday", the finale as a tribute to "Heartbeat", and the END, as the sound of a plane crash followed by the news report of Buddy Holly's death.

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.