Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Once upon a time (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Once upon a time
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
If you liked Lost, I really recommend this show. I understand that it is produced by the same people, and it shows, it has the same sense of deep mystery and the same structure per episode, focusing on a character and showing elements from the past and the present in two parallel narratives. After the pilot, essentially an introduction to the show, there have been two episodes: last week's focused on the Evil Queen and today's focused on Snow White and Prince Charming. Fun stuff.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I plan on catching this on On Demand this week.

Also hoping to check out Hell On Wheels as well.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I've watched the first 2 eps on HULU and plan to continue.

There is somewhat of a cheese factor to the whole thing, but cheese tastes good, especially when it is coated by a layer of charm.

2nd ep was definitely an improvement on the first, and I suspect this trend will continue.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Saw the first two and plan to watch the third On Demand. Enjoyed them overall, even though the disney influence was obvious. Kinda fun trying to guess who all the characters are in fairy tale lore. (Wonder who the cop is? [Hmmm?] )

Overall, it doesn't look like a Fables rip-off at all, and I'm happy about that. Note: While there are some creators from Lost onboard, the major forces are either absent or minor consultants. No J.J. Abrams or carlton Cuse, and Damon Lindeloff has only made minor uncredited contribs.

It's got some good quality so far, and I hope it continues improving. Looks like there's already been a full season pick-up of 22 eps.

Anybody seen "Grimm"?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I watched the first two episodes of Grimm this weekend, and it was better than I expected. Haven't checked this one out yet.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

This reminds me, I need to check out GRIMM (which I suspect may be more of the Fables-homage/ripoff than OUAT is).

No time like the present... *goes to HULU*

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LASHbrain:
This reminds me, I need to check out GRIMM (which I suspect may be more of the Fables-homage/ripoff than OUAT is).

No time like the present... *goes to HULU*

Actually, Grimm is NOTHING like 'Fables'... makes me think more than a little of 'Supernatural' if anything.
Any way, I had fully expected to Hate 'Once Upon a Time after reading about how ABC had obtained rights to 'Fables', put together a pilot and a couple episode scripts and then shelved it (maintaining the exclusive rights so no one else could produce it) and then created their own 'original' show based on fairy tale characters in the real world. I expected that it would be a complete rip-off of 'Fables' that would have had the heart and soul sucked out of it by the minions of The Mouse.... But it isn't. It is a good show in it's own right and no more similar to 'Fables' than 'Fables' was to 'The Charmings'. I look forward to each new episode.

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
My wife really likes Grimm, I could take or leave it. It seems to be set up for a disposable, "Monster/Villain of the week" kind of deal, which is fine, but not too interesting for me.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
My wife really likes Grimm, I could take or leave it. It seems to be set up for a disposable, "Monster/Villain of the week" kind of deal, which is fine, but not too interesting for me.

Like I said, it reminds me a lot of the early 'Supernatural'... Hunters, monsters, victems, Oh My!
From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I like BOTH of those new shows actually!

I never saw even one episode of Lost, believe it or not, so I cannot compare Once Upon A Time to that ..... but I like it so far. As far as Grimm goes, well it's just a damn good show! [Smile]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I caught up on Grimm a few days ago. It's definitely a good show. My main complaint about it is that the lead actors seem to lack any charisma. Hopefully, that will change with time.

Meanwhile, I thought Once Upon a Time's third ep was really terrific! I love how this show "fills in the blanks" in the classic fairy tales, and the stuff with Snow surviving as a thief was really nice. I also like how, in the present day, Snow's 'kiss' revives Prince Charming. Good, entertaining show!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Just watched the first three episodes, and can definitely say I enjoyed it!

The strong Lost influence shows, but it succeeds where so many of the Lost wannabees have failed.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't seen Once Upon a Time yet (the ads in the comics are intriguing, though!), but it's Tivo'd for the girls, so I might be able to steal the TV some night and see it.

Grimm, I've seen online, and I really like it. As already mentioned, the actors are deadly dull, but I love that the main dude has already begun unofficially working with one of the 'monsters.' I like line-blurring.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
This has really been a banner year for new network sci-fi/supernatural shows. Terra Nova, Once Upon a Time, and Grimm have all exceeded my expectations, and the two that sounded most promising to me, The River and Alcatraz, are still yet to premiere.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I would have gotten into "The Secret Circle" on the CW, but I missed the premiere. I like hot teen angsty witches!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.