Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » RIP Donald "Duck" Dunn

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIP Donald "Duck" Dunn
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Nothing against Donna Summer or Levon Helm, but the one that really saddened me was the passing on May 13th of Donald "Duck" Dunn, the bassist for so many great Stax recordings in the late 60s. As a member of Booker T. and the M.G.'s, Dunn was heard on records by Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Albert King and others. From there he went on to play with such diverse talents as Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, and Muddy Waters (and many many others).

Probably his most visible appearance to mainstream audiences was as a member of the Blues Brothers (as himself), where he uttered the line "We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline!"

You'll be missed, Mr. Dunn.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
What a bad year it's been for music in terms of deaths.

In one of those rare moments of irony, I happened to invoke Mr. Dunn's name last night while engaging in a friendly trivia contest with my brother. The Blues Brothers' "Soul Man" came on Pandora, and my brother challenged me to name the backup band. I said Junkyard; he wanted more, so I said Steve Cropper. Then just to add the coup de grace, I mentioned the bass player, Mr. Dunn.

It's not an important moment at all, and one that hardly honors Mr. Dunn in any way. Except that I had no idea he had passed, and my brother and I had earlier lamented the passing of Donna Summer and Robin Gibb.

With the additional passing of Whitney Houston, Davey Jones, Levon Helm, and Greg Ham, it seems that a lot of the musical architects of my childhood and young adulthood are disappearing all at once.

Thank you, Mr. Dunn, for your contributions to the soundtrack of my youth.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
If I could play bass as good as either Donald "Duck" Dunn, or say, like that Les Claypool from Primus (are they still around?) I'd take the former over the latter hands down. He had a great feel. I wish I'd seen one of the shows when Booker T. and the M.G.'s backed Neil Young. Those had to have been pretty great.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by matlock:
If I could play bass as good as either Donald "Duck" Dunn, or say, like that Les Claypool from Primus (are they still around?) I'd take the former over the latter hands down. He had a great feel. I wish I'd seen one of the shows when Booker T. and the M.G.'s backed Neil Young. Those had to have been pretty great.

I was lucky enough to have attended one in the early 90s (in a 16th row seat even!) and it was as good as you would imagine, especially the older material that Young had originally recorded with Crazy Horse. They even did a song co-written by Steve Cropper as an encore: Dock Of The Bay. Although Neil Young didn't sound a thing like Otis Redding, he did put a lot of feeling (dare I say "soul"?) into his rendition of the song.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.