Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Prometheus - spoilers lie within.

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prometheus - spoilers lie within.
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Saw this one today with my Dad.

Very good movie. I thought it was a lot more straightforward than a lot of reviewers gave it credit for.

I did think the cast should have been a little smaller to give us more of a chance to get to know the characters. That's really a small quibble though.

David is the most interesting character, and I think when the inevitable extended edition comes out, he will be even more so.

Anyone else go see this yet? If anyone has and wants to talk plot points, we can throw a spoiler warning in the thread title.

[ July 01, 2012, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Dev - Em ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it looked great ...

Click Here For A Spoilerbut I wanted Charlize Theron to be the 'Ripley' at the end rather than meet a villain's demise ... and Idris Elba's phony southern accent really bugged me. Plenty of actors could do that better. and ... I basically thought ... everyone was just takign screen time from Charlize Theron. ha ha. Some of the acting was spectacular .... and unfortunatley (for me) it brought attention to the average acting of a few of the cast. I wasn't too bothered by the timeline or the continuity. I didn't care, it was a good movie anyway. I thought it was fairly spectacular except the ending which was very star trek where they fly into a collission ... (very hollywood) rather than a good sci fi horror movie ending. David was the most interesting character but also... sleazy/creepy. but not anywhere less than that creepy husband scientist. Was Charlize Theron supposed to be a villain ... because I agreed with all her decisions.

and Noomie Rapace's character was awesome, if extremely over the top/unbelievable ... the abortion scene ... was SO TENSE ......and I have never scene anything like that before ... which in today's movie world must be saying something!

I thought Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Noomie Rapace were AWESOME. as well as some of the other cast ... like Guy Pearce ... Logan Marshall Green and Idris Elba were sub par in an amazing cast.

[ June 09, 2012, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Michael Fassbender

Click Here For A SpoilerI thought his DAvid was the right amount of creepy and knowledge seeking. Definately set up to be in any possible sequals. Why else take his body along on the trip.

Charlize Theron

Click Here For A SpoilerThere was not enough of her in this movie. Period. That aside, I thought her character was the sane one of the whole bunch, except for maybe the Capt. Who I also thought deserved way more screen time.

Noomie Rapace

Click Here For A SpoilerShe did a great job. Especially with the stuff they put her through. I read somewhere someone complaining about her actions after the surgery...not really taking into account the cauterizing of the wound that took place. Plus, they had her doubling over every few minutes to emphasize that she was in extreme pain. I also thought that the pressure suit she was wearing was helping keep everything in place.

Not really familiar with any of the others, but the two that got separated from the others for a while annoyed me.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I read some scathing reviews before going to see it, so my expectations were low.

Those reviewers must have been on crack, is all I gotta say. Excellent movie, and, agreeing with what has been said above, entirely too many really good actors shoved into the narrative for them to get to shine. (Idris Elba and Charlize Theron felt a bit underused, IMO.)

The only quibble I've got, is the old man makeup being used for one of the characters, when they could have just hired an actual old man, for that smallish role. Get an actor who is beginning to show his age (like Leonard Nimoy or Ian McKellen) and have him act even older, rather than put some younger dude in a bad fake wrinkle-mask.

(Plus, if they used McKellan, they could have two Magneto's in one movie!) [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Yeah Set, that was a bit jarring to see at first.

There are a few questions I have about the ending though...but I want to watch the beginning of Alien again before I comment.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So....are there xenomorphs in it ot not?!?!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Go see it and find out.

[Razz]

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've already decided to watch Prometheus again!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

This essay has some interesting observations of the movie. Some of which I had thought of, others I had not. Very interesting.

Also MASSIVE SPOILERS are within said article.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

I really am looking forward to seeing it at home with extra footage added back in. This is a beautiful film to see.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I heard Ridley Scott had to cut some stuff out to avoid a NC-17. Could be an interesting Blu-Ray.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

oooooo blue ray!
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
SPOILERS!

I'm a bit late to the party but I just saw this movie and wanted to talk about it too.

Like, I think, everyone else in here so far - I really liked it! Maybe it was the low expectations after reading the lukewarm reviews or just the fact that I haven't been to the cinema in forever so that made the whole experience kinda fun - but I had a blast watching it and was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole last half of the movie.

That said, I did have some big problems with it and I'm gonna list them here first -

1. The dialogue - was really woeful at times. Especially in a lot of the character/personality-building scenes between the crew. Way more drafts should have been done to make these interactions sound less generic/annoying. Which brings me to...
2. The crew/cast - were almost all completely under-developed. A few characters stood out but for the most part it was a bunch of one-note stereotypes and indistinguishable red-shirts running around. Which brings me to...
3. The comparison with Alien - where they did a MUCH better job of getting us to know and really like ALL of their poor, doomed characters before putting them through the mill. Which brings me to...
4. The plot - which was way too similar to Alien - motley crew of scientists/space-truckers investigate strange structure on an alien planet, one gets infected by an unknown substance and brings a creature back on board, remaining crew get whittled down bit by bit trying to contain the creature(s) while a scheming robot furthers its own (company) agenda. Obviously Prometheus played around with the formula a bit by infecting a couple of people in different ways and using different creatures and expanding the setting a bit to include the two ships but for the most part, the plots were extremely similar. And my biggest problem...
5. Some of the character decisions were so nonsensical -
* gross, strange, snake-like alien creature is rising up menacingly at me and hissing - I'm going to baby-talk it and try to pat it;
* two crew members are stuck on a strange ship on an alien planet and I'm getting a mysterious separate life-form readings - I'm going to go off and have sex and not have anyone monitor their safety;
* I've just given birth to a gross, alien octopus creature which is still on the ship - I'm not going to mention this fact to anyone;
* one crew-member turns into a homicidal super-strong giant and kills a bunch of crew-members - we're just going to carry on like nothing has happened.
I know some poor character decision-making is a necessity for horror/suspense movies but better writing would have found a way to make them more believable/acceptable.

Now you'd probably read all of the above and think that I hated this movie but no - despite all that, I really liked it!

1. I LOVED the look of the film - I'm a sucker for well-designed sci-fi universes with interesting tech and space-ships and outfits and concepts and so on so I had a ball just watching all the cool visuals on display in this movie.
2. I had no problem with the acting at all really. I thought Logan Marshall Green did a great job (this was my first time seeing him in anything) and Idris Elba was pretty good (he had a few spotty moments but I blame that on the weak script/dialogue). And the main three actors - Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron - were all excellent IMO.
3. I really enjoyed the addition to the Alien mythos with this weird other race of creatures that sort of created them. And that race's mysterious origins and motivations. I want a sequel to find out more about them!
4. The abortion scene was incredible! So tense! As was pretty much most of the movie. I thought Scott did a really good job of building and sustaining the requisite feeling of dread/suspense.
5. The production design, music and 3D were all fantastic. Ridley Scott is always at the top of his game in that department.
6. Despite the unoriginality of the plot, the plot they were copying is one of my favourites so to see it updated in this glossy, action-packed way was exciting.

So, yeah - this movie was definitely not without its short-comings and I can see why some of the critics weren't enamoured by it, but as an exciting, scary, sometimes thought-provoking action/suspense movie I thought it did a really good job.

Now I just hope we get a sequel!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.