Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » THE WALKING DEAD Computer Game

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD Computer Game
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone else played this yet?

I have. And it's really, really, really good!

Did you ever used to read those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books as a kid and think to yourself "I wish this was a more immersive, visceral experience"?

Have you ever watched a cartoon or read a comic and thought "I wish I had more control over the direction this tale is taking"?

Are you a big fan of The Walking Dead universe and wish you could be a part of it, meeting the characters within it and experiencing their dangers alongside them?

Well this is the game for you then because it absolutely supplies all those thrills and more.

And it's all canon too (with the comic, not the show) meaning this whole game adds fantastic further flavour to Kirkman's universe. You even get to meet some of the characters from the comics - including a couple of surprising ones!

The first thing to know about this game is that it's not like a normal/traditional action or RPG computer game. It's much more like a cartoon (drawn in a very similar style to the comic) that lets you control the conversations the lead character has and the decisions he makes - morally tough decisions that have real impact on the way other characters treat you, and even which ones will survive or not! And it's a cartoon that still leaves you plenty of opportunities to get killed yourself too.

Because of all that, this game seems a lot more engaging and interesting to me than many others I've played (caveat: I'm not much of a gamer so my experience with them isn't that vast) and I really can't wait to see/experience where it goes next.

The only frustrating thing about the game is that it's released in chapters (chapters 1 and 2 of 5 have been released so far, with the next one due out in mid-August) so the wait between seeing/playing each one is a killer.

Here's a trailer for the game to give you a bit of an idea of what the story is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhL776xz9YU

Note - those aren't cut scenes. All of that is the actual game.

The game has so far been set during the first 3 and a bit months of the outbreak so those characters you probably recognised in the trailer above are all from before Rick and co. met them. I love getting to see a little bit of what they were up to before their stories in the comics began.

There's another character in the game who was a HUGE surprise to me when I realised they were from the comics too. I won't give away who they are but they're a character who was extremely minor in the comic and yet was involved in an extremely major event within it. It always frustrated me that we never got to find out more about them in Kirkman's story so this game has been a real delight for me on that front too.

I would definitely recommend this game to all fans of The Walking Dead comic or show, and even those who just enjoy exciting survival stories from any medium.

Is anyone else playing it?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
HOW. DO. I. DO. THIS???!?!?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

That trailer kicked SERIOUS ASS.... can I just watch the story unfold somewhere??

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I played the demo and am planing on DLing it on my 360 once my interwebs are hooked up at home.

It is VERY good from the little I got to play it, its been a while since playing a point and click adventure.
The company that made this (TellTale Games) have been making point and clicks for years and it thier experience really shows.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I played the demo as well. Will be looking to get this soon.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I really like TellTales games, and played the demo for this on PS3, but I've got wayyyy too many games queued up as it is. I'll probably wait for the whole series to come a a bundle next year.

Anyone play the Jurassic Park game they did? The trailer looks good, but I've never heard of anyone who's tried it.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
HOW. DO. I. DO. THIS???!?!?

I think the game is currently only available by download (i.e. you can't just walk into a shop and buy it in a box at the moment).

It can be downloaded from the game-maker's website - https://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead - or you can get it from where I got it, the Steam games website - http://store.steampowered.com/

If you haven't heard of Steam, it's a website that sells loads and loads of games and lets you download them straight to your computer. No need to have boxes of old games lying around anymore, now you can just store them all on your hard drive.

If you want to buy it from Steam, you will need to set up an account with them first. It's free and easy though and IMO very worthwhile.

You can buy each chapter/episode of the game individually as they come out, or you can do what I did and just buy all 5 at once. I think it works out cheaper that way (but bear in mind that only the first two chapters have been released so far and there can be a wait of at least a month between chapters - they are really recreating the comic experience! haha). Buying all 5 chapters at once costs $25 I think. Very reasonably priced IMO.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
That trailer kicked SERIOUS ASS.... can I just watch the story unfold somewhere??

That trailer only scratches the surface of the ass-kickery in this game. All of that is from the first chapter of it and you will NOT BELIEVE how epic it gets in the second one.

People may have put up on YouTube some of their playthroughs of some scenes but it won't really be possible (or worthwhile) to just watch the story anywhere. For one thing, the game will be different for everyone who plays it. The mechanics of the game almost completely revolve around the choices you make as a player (playing Lee Everett, the main character) and those choices then affect everything else in the game - from the small things like what the other characters think of you, to the big things like which of the other characters will live or die (there is a moment where you literally have to choose which 1 of 2 characters to save and which 1 to let get eaten by zombies - and the outcome of that choice will affect a lot of the story and the dynamics from then on out).

But it's much more than just an action game. It wouldn't be The Walking Dead without "talking" and there is a LOT of talking in this game. You will have lots of conversations with the other characters. But that's what makes it so great. You really get to know and like/dislike them and since the game does such a good job of putting you in the head of Lee Everett, it really starts to feel like you're all struggling together against this overwhelming force. And that then makes it that much harder when you lose someone.

As the zombie-fan I know you are, I KNOW you will be blown away by this game. It is so much like being inside a great zombie movie or comic. Or a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story on crack. Totally worth it.

And each chapter can probably be played in about 2 / 2 and-a-half hours so you don't have to worry about the game consuming your life the way some can do sometimes.

---

I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys all think once you've played more than the demo. I'm sure there will be some interesting discussions about some of the tough decisions you had to make. [Big Grin]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I am TOTALLY enthralled by your description. This month is a particularly hard one for me financially but I'll keep that $25 for all 5 games on my mind.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

HOLY SHITSNACKS ON RYE!!! Thanks to a friend's kindness, I am currently on the STEAM thing now, about to try this out... I haven't played a game on a computer since BEJEWELED, MINESWEEPER and FREECELL... I'll probably get killed within seconds!!! [LOL]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Actually I won't start play tonight... It looks like I should set up the account and do some "paperwork" first... and it's kinda late to get going! But I am MLLASH there too so "friend" me or whatever!!!

I am very excited--!!!!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

<------------ Zombie chow within minutes! LOL

It was quite sad to see "YOU ARE DEAD" plastered across the screen! *sobs* I WANNA LIVE!

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

^ Oh no! haha I didn't even realise you could get killed that early in the game.

I'm guessing the Click Here For A Spoiler policeman or the Click Here For A Spoiler baby-sitter got you.

Hopefully you've made it a bit further by now.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

The former got me. I was so startled by what was going on I didn't press the required button fast enough! This style game is totally new to me so I figure it will be slow going for awhile, to say the least.

I will report back when I next log on and play!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.