Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » 2012-2013 Legion World College GameWeek (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: 2012-2013 Legion World College GameWeek
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
My picks for the week:

Week 2
Auburn @ Miss State ~ Tough call. Auburn did not impress me that much this past week. They are good but not great. Miss State has been building a solid program. I think Auburn will still be trying to recover from their devastating loss to Clemson. Vee's pick ~ Miss State

Maryland @ Temple ~ Temple is a sleeper and currently may well be the best Div 1 team in Pennsylvania. Maryland still has a long way to go to prove themselves to me. Vee's pick ~ Temple Owls

Miami (FL) @ Kansas State (22) ~ I've been dreading this. Bill Snyder always puts a solid team on the field. Last year, they came down to Miami and beat us in a squeaker. I have concerns about our passing defense at the moment. It just hasn't seemed to gel yet and it could well cost us the game. On the flip side, K State has a solid D Line but is struggling against the pass. If our TEs and WRs step up and make some catches it will open up opportunities for us to run the ball at them as well. If Miami can shut down or seriously impair K State's passing game we win, if not it will be a long afternoon for the Canes. Vee's pick ~ Miami

North Carolina @ Wake Forest ~ UNC looks very good this year. Butch Davis left Larry Fedora a wealth of talent to work with and he has the skill to put it all to good use. Vee's pick ~ UNC

Florida (23) @ Texas A&M ~ This is going to be an interesting game to watch. The Gators are over ranked in my opinion. They are benefiting from past performance in the polls much like a few other teams. They struggled mightily for much of the game last week against Bowling Green and just barely pulled it out at the end at home in the Swamp. Doesn't bode well against an Aggie team playing their first game in the SEC and wanting to make a name for themselves. Vee's pick ~ Texas A&M

Purdue @ Notre Dame ~ Tough call. For the past few years we've been hearing "This is the year Chip Kelly's Irish make it back in to the BCS hunt." Yet they've been a disappointment. Yes, they are coming off a huge win in Dublin, but it was against a very poor team. The Purdue Boilermakers are not slouches and they will give ND a solid run for their money. Vee's pick ~ ND but only because it's at home under the Golden Dome and it really would not surprise me to see it go the other way.

Washington @ LSU (3) ~ Ummmm...does anything need to be said? Vee's pick ~ LSU

Nebraska (17) @ UCLA ~ Jim Mora's UCLA Bruins are a sleeper, under the radar team. No one is paying them any mind and they just may rear up and slap down the Husker's this week if Nebraska isn't paying attention. I think this may be a great game to watch and could be decided at the last minute. Vee's pick ~ I think Nebraska pulls it out in the end after a big scare.

Georgia (6) @ Missouri ~ Georgia is getting a great deal of hype this year with their relatively easy in conference schedule. Many pundits are saying they could win the SEC East. Like Florida (and probably the other SEC teams) they feel confident that the SEC plays on a different level than anyone else. Therefore they, and everyone else, gives Missouri no chance of competing. I think they're in for a big surprise. Vee's pick ~ Missouri

Oklahoma State (19) @ Arizona ~ Rich Rodriguez will turn around Arizona and make them competitive in the Pac-12 and a fun team to watch. But that's not ready to happen yet. OSU is a high powered team and should have little trouble with Arizona. Vee's pick ~ Okie State

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Miss State
Maryland
Kansas State
UNC
Texas A&M
Norte Dame
LSU
Nebraska 
Georgia
OK State

I agree Georgia might be a little over-ranked right now. Should be a very interesting game, but ultimately the Bulldogs should pull this off. 

Florida is way over-ranked too. Of course, I can't talk since I cringe whenever ND gets ranked before they actually prove themselves...which happens basically every year. Maybe this'll be the year they do it.

I'm thinking A&M will definitely have a chip on their shoulder all season, looking to push some people around. I'm def going to be following them curiously.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Week 2
Auburn
Maryland
Kansas State
North Carolina
Texas A&M
Notre Dame
LSU
Nebraska
Missouri
Oklahoma State

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll be working, wont get to see most of today's games.

Bummer

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Cocks Win! too bad they weren't in the choices. [Wink]

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Michigan and MSU both won today...too bad they were not on the list. [Wink]
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

well, I'm just suckin' at my college picks so far this year.

--------------------

Something pithy!

rickshaw1
Leader

so, I have espn on to see how bad I did this week and there was an Oregon clip. Last week she saw them and said "I didn't know Sprite sponsored a football team" after seeing their uniforms. So, she sees them tonight when I point them out and says

"Oooh, now with the power of Limon!"

I love my wife.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Yesterday was a crazy, wild ride with some huge disappointments for me and some enormous surprises as well. Let's get to the results for the week...

Cobie 6 of 10 = 60% (Season ~ 14 of 20 = 70%)
Lardy 4 of 10 = 40% (Season ~ 12 of 20 = 60%)
Vee 3 of 10 = 30% (Season ~ 11 of 20 = 55%)
Legiontracker 7 of 10 = 70% (Season ~ 13 of 20 = 65%)
Rick 6 of 10 = 60% (Season ~ 12 of 20 = 60%)
Dev-Em 4 of 10 = 40% (Season ~ 9 of 20 = 45%)

Good luck picking next weeks winners!

--------------------

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
WOO! Cementing the bottom spot already. [Wink]
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Some comments on yesterdays games:

1) Kansas State v Miami ~ As I feared our defense in general and our secondary in particular wasn't up to the task. Yesterday demonstrated just how far we have to go before we return to the top of the game. Many Miami fans obviously had overly high expectations for a team that lost large percentage of its experienced players last year. This years team is composed of 65 freshman, red shirt freshman, and sophomores (12) and only 20 juniors and seniors. The younguns, or Baby Canes as I call the 65, make up more that half of the starting lineup

Yesterday put their extreme lack of experience on display. It was painful to watch at times, particularly on defense where they were being manhandled by those huge Kansas farmboys. And yet, as bad as the final tally makes it seem, they didn't play poorly, they were simply overmatched. I was very happy to see their positive attitudes and determination. They never gave up and played hard until the final second ticked off the clock. As a fan, you really can't ask for more than that.

It's going to be a long, difficult year for the Baby Canes but they will continue to improve under the tutelage of an incredible coaching staff. I expect them to be much improved by the end of the season. The next few years could be lots of fun with this group once their game experience begins to rival their talent level

2) All of the other games were incredibly fun to watch. As I suspected most were a great deal more competitive than the pundits were expecting. Maryland, Florida, Georgia, & Notre Dame all had hard fought wins. Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Auburn, and North Carolina were all upset. All in all it made for a fun, exciting, and sometimes shocking, weekend of college football.

3) I can't not mention some other truly surprising games. Louisiana - Monroe, an FCS team, upset #8 Arkansas. Utah State beat Utah of the Pac 12, Sacramento State, another FCS team, beat Colorado of the Pac 12, Iowa State beat Iowa, Arizona State beat Illinois, and Oregon State beat Wisconsin. This was really Upset Weekend 2012.

***EDIT ~ I forgot Louisiana Monroe moved up to 1A last year and joined the Sun Belt Conference. Still...as an opponent for #8 Arkansas? Should have bee a breeze for the almighty SEC.

[ September 09, 2012, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Vee ]

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
WOO! Cementing the bottom spot already. [Wink]

Careful Dev! Lardy and I are giving you a run for the money! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

And here are the games to consider for next week. Tough to come up with ten good match ups this week. Still seem to have lots of cream puffs on these schedules and it seems the off weeks have started. Please note that the first game is on Thursday night. Make sure to get your selections posted before game time.

Week 3
Rutgers @ South Florida - THURS
Wake Forest @ Florida State
Virginia @ Georgia Tech
North Carolina @ Louisville
Alabama @ Arkansas
Florida @ Tennessee
Arizona State @ Missouri
USC @ Stanford
Notre Dame @ Michigan State
BYU @ Utah

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Week 3
South Florida - THURS
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Arkansas
Tennessee
Missouri
Stanford
Michigan State (I think this is one of States more important games)
Utah

Vee
Still smoooooth!

And the latest polls have been released. Lots of movement as one would expect.

AP Top 25

1.Alabama (48)
2.USC (8)
3.LSU (4)
4.Oregon
5.Oklahoma
5.Florida St.
7.Georgia
8.South Carolina
9.West Virginia
10.Michigan St.
11.Clemson
12.Ohio St.
13.Virginia Tech
14.Texas
15.Kansas St.
16.TCU
17.Michigan
18.Florida
19.Louisville
20.Notre Dame
21.Stanford
22.UCLA
23.Tennessee
24.Arizona
25.BYU

USA Today

Alabama (42)
LSU (5)
USC (11)
Oregon (1)
Oklahoma
Florida St.
Georgia
West Virginia
South Carolina
Michigan St.
Clemson
Texas
Virginia Tech
Kansas St.
TCU
Stanford
Florida
Michigan
Notre Dame
Louisville
Arkansas
Wisconsin
UCLA
Nebraska
Arizona

--------------------

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.