Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Om mani padme hum! The All-Green Lama Thread!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Om mani padme hum! The All-Green Lama Thread!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So, I just discovered that the complete stories featuring this groovalicious pulp hero are currently available in three paperback volumes!

I'm mostly familiar with the character through radio series, but, as I understand it, he had a prominent role in Dynamite's Project Superpowers series.

Anyone read the original stories?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Five issues are available online at the Digital Comic Museum.

Why should I read them, Ester?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think I've actually read any of the comics, but the groovy thing generally about the Green Lama is that while he's in the Shadow-esque mold of characters who received their powers from "studying Eastern mysticism", his creator Kendell Foster Crossen actually took the time to research Buddhism to make the character seem more authentic.

I will, however, read the comics and report back about how fun they are!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
He's always had a pretty groovy look to him.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't help but feel a bit odd about a cover that features a Buddhist (which is all about the non-violence) hero choking someone with what looks to be a red silk scarf. I'd be curious to see how the author reconciles the problem.
From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Leap Year Lord:
Five issues are available online at the Digital Comic Museum.

Why should I read them, Ester?

So, they have some pretty sweet artwork, particularly on the Christmas issue #7 (don't ask me why a Buddhist superhero has a Christmas issue, but...); however, I can't say the stories are really anything all that special.

#3 features toy-themed super-villain Falstaff stealing toys. The great mystery is why he's stealing toys rather than actual valuables. Kind of fun, but not anything all that exciting.

#4 and #5 are both war-themed stories. While it's generally against the Green Lama's way to interfere in war, since "countries must win their own battles or they will learn nothing from them", apparently he makes an exception when Japan develops drones in #4, and so he flies to Tokyo to prevent their use or something like that. Anyway, he leaves Hirohito hanging by a chandelier. In #5, he receives a letter from a soldier who is a member of the Green Lama club (if you join, you can receive the secret code). The soldier is concerned about a fellow soldier who is a racist, and so the Green Lama flies the bad soldier to Germany and shows him that the stuff he is saying is basically the same as the stuff Hitler is saying, which cures him of his racism.

#7 is the aforementioned Christmas issue, in which the Green Lama encounters an old miser who is trying to take over the local fishing industry by hiring thugs to dump the catches of the fishermen, whose boats the miser holds the mortgage on. The Lama has to teach the old miser a lesson and help him learn the Christmas spirit or something.

#8 basically reprints the Green Lama story from #3, with a few superficial changes.

The Lama is presented as very much a conventional super-hero, with his chant "Om mani padme hum!" changing him from Jethro Dumont into the Green Lama, and exhibiting powers such as flight and super-strength (which I don't believe were possessed by the character in other incarnations).

All and all, a fairly average Golden Age comic.

I briefly glanced at the various back-up features, but none of them really struck my fancy.

[ October 20, 2012, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Green Lama fans take note:

Jethro Dumont makes the scene in Masks #2! We learn there that his Tibetan training has taught him to "resist worldly desires", such as watching Miss Fury change clothes!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.