Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » The "Some Drivers are Dumb" thread.

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "Some Drivers are Dumb" thread.
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
What possesses someone to pass me (illegally) on a two lane highway, only to be the car directly in front of me!?

If you pass, and I can still read your license plate, than you do not understand the concept of passing.

Anyone else have a lovely driving experience today?

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^ deal with that all the time. [No]

One I seem to see more and more of is the "driver distracted (probably because texting) and misjudges light turning red, thereby stopping waaay too far into the intersection". At that point, just blow the red!

And then they usually put the car in reverse, not ready to acknowledge that there is a thing called traffic and there are people behind you: you can't just reverse in the middle of traffic no matter how bad you want to correct your stupidity.

Where's Judge Dredd when you need him?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
I tend to notice people doing that without being distracted. They assume that, despite the fact that there is NO ROOM for them on the other side of the light, that they can just nudge their way out into the middle of the intersection. Then, when the light doesn't turn in time, they're just STUCK out there, blocking my way.

I'm such a jerk, though. I'll just drive right up to their car and stare into their window.

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Something that's been bugging lately is that I've noticed this weird trend of drivers that yield right of way to me when there is no apparent reason for them to do so. I'm pretty sure they're just trying to be nice, but I'd be perfectly content to just wait thirty seconds and go in the proper order, and I really think it would be much safer that way.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just had a situation where a stoplight at a major intersection was out. Simple to handle right. Treat as a 4 way stop.

Oh hell no. Groups of 5 - 20 cars would just start blowing through the light at any given time with no regard to who else was in the intersection.

I got to the light and waited patiently and then finally leaned on my horn and inched out into the intersection. One perplexed driver glared at me...he was about the fourth car in the line going through the light.

All this was in front of a police officer that had just arrived on the scene and nodded to me as he passed me because I stopped to let him and his lane through.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Back when I was driving, this would bug me. I'd be in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. I would be pacing a car that was 5-7 car lengths ahead on me. Both lanes on either side of me would be absolutely clear of cars, both ahead and behind for miles. Then a car would come up the middle lane and start to tailgate me. After a few minutes of being tailgated, I would pull into the right lane and the car would zoom up and start tailgating the car I had been pacing. I would then increase my speed slightly and pass both cars while thinking "What a dumbass!"

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass

I'm also incredibly sick of people making COMPLETE STOPS at right hand turns. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to do that, as the ONLY car capable of hitting you is the CAR BEHIND YOU. So, no need to stop completely, just slow down and MAKE YOUR DANG RIGHT TURN.
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Right turn issues...people that slow down in the regular lane when there is a turn lane for them to do that in.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Oh! Here's another one. The guy (or gal) who has to tailgate you and then pass you...only to slam on their brakes to make a right hand turn 50 yards later.
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it okay for a pedestrian to lodge a complaint?

I can't stand it when there's little in the way of bumper-to-bumper traffic, and yet a driver making a turn will pull all the way into the crosswalk while I have the signal-- and they'll STAY THERE!

This forces the crossing pedestrian to get dangerously close to oncoming traffic even when s/he has the signal and right of way.

I have seen drivers do this while talking on the phone, and one time I saw a dude doing it while leaning over the back seat to talk to his kid. I yelled at him to back up so I could cross. It went downhill from there.

[sigh]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
people laying on their horns is common in my old neighborhood. Just as a neighbor and pedestrian ... this is crazy annoying!

I hate driving. Its so dangerous because people are so distracted and crazy.

I used to ride my bike but then I got hit by a car, I flew into an intersection ... and then the lady was worried I had scratched her car ... even as my bike was trashed ... and I was limping away ... because I was so upset I was afraid I would yell at her.

Anyway, she had her phone in her hand the whole time ... the cause of the accident.

Also, I had an especially fun event when a guy turned in front of me as I was walking across the street in a crosswalk ... which is a misdemeanor ... and a cop at the intersection just watched ... as I gave him a wtf look.

Oh I've got another one, when anyone says that Marijuana is harmless ... well I was almost ran over ... actually I was ran over a bit ... because the guy was too stoned to step on the break.

I even have passenger rage ... hate driving ... being driven .... I like walking ... I walk everywhere I can.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm pretty sure I could post a different story every day for the next 2 years if I wanted about bad drivers in this area, for now I will post my most recent experience.

Two days ago I had a training course to attend.
So I started to drive in to town, the roads were very bad due to snow and ice (the speed limit is 110km, I was only going 50km and the car was still kinda "loose" on the road).

So about halfway into town there is a rest area on my side of the road. I noticed a car headed towards the exit ramp as I was approaching and thought "he's not that stupid is he?"

Yes he was...veered on out onto the highway at an extremely reduced speed, even had the roads been clear I could not have stopped in time.
I braked as much as possible, the truck behind me didn't even see the point of trying.
I ended up having to swerve and pass him on the right, through a foot or more of snow on the shoulder to avoid an accident while the truck behind me swerved left.

Really glad that guy managed to get on the road 10 seconds faster though rather than wait

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass

Holy crap! Though it's long been my experience that people do NOT drive more safely in snow and rain. If anything, they drive like bigger idiots than they already are!

One of my biggest pet-peeves is when people are on the acceleration ramp getting out into traffic and absolutely REFUSE to go the speed of traffic. They want to slooooowly come out onto the highway, but that's actually more dangerous than coming out at the speed of traffic! The law says to come out doing the speed limit for a reason!!

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Conjure Lass:
Holy crap! Though it's long been my experience that people do NOT drive more safely in snow and rain. If anything, they drive like bigger idiots than they already are!

Oh I agree, and in addition to that the more "rugged" or "safe" the vehicle the crazier the driver. Considering at least half the people here drive replacement penis' jacked up 4x4 pickups we have LOTS of bad drivers.
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass

quote:
Originally posted by Viridis Lament: Oh I agree, and in addition to that the more "rugged" or "safe" the vehicle the crazier the driver. Considering at least half the people here drive replacement penis' jacked up 4x4 pickups we have LOTS of bad drivers.
Yeeeeah, people don't seem to understand that a 4x4 is really only good for the snow, and even then you should still be careful. But those four tires will slide on ice just as easily as any other car.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.