Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Just an odd thought about a childhood thing (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Just an odd thought about a childhood thing
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw a reference online recently to something I had forgotten about from childhood.

Remember that thing where you would hold a buttercup beneath someone's chin to see whether they... liked butter?

I never thought of what a strange thing that is to test for. It's not as if "liking butter" is something that someone would lie about.

The whole thing just strikes me as some sort of kid version of the Salem witch trials. A Dairy Inquisition or something.

"No, I swear I like butter."

"Your chin says differently, Goody Goodwyfe."

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
*raises eyebrow*

I have...never heard of this before in all my life. The only thing I remembering doing as a child was licking the nectar from the honeysuckle. I don't quite think I understand how this test was meant to work? Would it reflect off their chin? Make their skin yellow?

How cute is that? CUUUUTE.

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Yeah, it would reflect yellow... supposedly the "positive indicator" for butter preference, but... looking at this image:

-

I think maybe I just had an "a-ha" moment.

I just realized the whole thing was probably just a rural ruse to steal a kiss. D'oh! I wish I'd realized that when I was a kid!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think I've ever heard of this either.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Admittedly, I did grow up in farm country. Perhaps it's just a thing that bored country kids did.

--------------------

Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
AWWWWW! How ~adddooorrraabbbllleee~! I would happily have a kiss stolen this way. And all that time you were actually testing for butter and little did you know that you could have been getting little kisses.

Try it as an adult and see how that works for you! LOL

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Conjure Lass:
The only thing I remembering doing as a child was licking the nectar from the honeysuckle.

Also works with clover. Pick the little pink petals off the puffy flower during the right time of year and they each have a little drop of sugary nectar in them. Perfect for already hyperactive children who are taste-tasting everything they can get their hands on anyway...

As for the buttercup thing, never heard of it. Buttercups are poisonous, IIRC, so probably not the sort of thing one wants to encourage little kids to play around with.

(Plenty of other flowers are edible, after all!)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
LOL this thread helps me to understand just how poor our neighborhood was.

We didn't use "buttercups." We used dandelions. We also used them to "pop ma's head off." I can't remember the rhyme that goes with it.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I did it in Suburbia. We used buttercups and dandelions.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy: LOL this thread helps me to understand just how poor our neighborhood was.

We didn't use "buttercups." We used dandelions.

Ha, we were so poor that we ate dandelions! As in dandelion salad. (The ones with the reddish color to the veins and stalks taste better.) Clean 'em off, throw them in a bowl, toss in a little oil and vinegar and it's good to go!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
We did the buttercup thing, but I really don't remember seeing any yellow reflection - and we all happily ate mounds of butter. Maybe our chins were too grimy.

Didn't eat dandelions until I was grown-up. Now it's fashionable, at least in certain circles, like lobster used to just be for poor people.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Physicists find out why buttercups make your chin glow yellow

I recall someone trying the buttercup thing when I was a kid, and maybe someone subbing in a dandelion. I also remember kids trying (unsuccessfully) to twine together dandelions a la a daisy garland. If you wanted serious chains, though, you'd go to the park bleachers and collect soda can pull tabs.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

We didn't use "buttercups." We used dandelions. We also used them to "pop ma's head off." I can't remember the rhyme that goes with it.

Was it Mama had a baby and its head popped off ? I have a vague recollection of that, too.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Good luck finding your buttercup.

Lucinda, Who else?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Admittedly, I did grow up in farm country. Perhaps it's just a thing that bored country kids did.

Nah. Grew up in the Detroit suburbs and we did it as well. I think it might be a little generational thing that has slowly faded from the general consciousness.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.