Legion World
Cause, the JSA thing actually annoys the Hell out of me rather than makes me happy. I've invested a lot of money in the current Legion because I was glad to see the DCU committing itself to the Legion of superheroes once more.

Now, the first crossover with the modern DCU and its the Old Legion? What's the point of making a new Legion if suddenly Superman met an entirely different Legion? WAY TO MARGINALIZE THE LEGION here guys!

Is the Supergirl of the future even the DCU's supergirl or is she a phoney like Power Girl? I know everyone else is ectastic about the old guys showing up but I for one am more than a little annoyed that after defending the New Legion every which way from Sunday...

Even the authors at DCU don't seem to want to work with them.
I'm one of the ones happy about the "old guys" showing up, but I think it's too extreme to say that they're marginalizing the Legion. I mean, there have been a *lot* of different versions of the Legion, what's wrong with checking in on some of the other eras sometimes?

The current version of the Legion seems to be the one that will appear in Brave and Bold, so they're not exactly gone.

The more Legions the better, I say!
I just think it makes the current Legion "less real." This is supposedly the Legion of the future but apparently Superman received much of his inspiration from an entirely different Legion.

It's sorta crazy.

It also makes the current Legion to be less relevant. Its probably a good thing that Kon-El is dead because he'd probably remember another Legion still. If they're going to have a Legion comic then it should be the Legion comic used in pretty much most events.

They should just De-Boot the current Legion as an alternate and make it a two year mini-series. Maybe this was "Year One" and "Year Two" of the Old Legion.
Multiple versions don't bother me. To have the original Legion back is exciting - more than I would have thought - but I would be unhappy to see the current Legion just wiped out, as DC has done with previous versions. Someone at DC is probably crunching some numbers about which version would sell more books.

I don't know what Supergirl is supposed to be; we'll probably find out eventually. Meltzer, in the Word Balloon interview at Newsarama, said that the Legion Supergirl has absolutely nothing to do with the Lightning Saga story - but whether he meant she won't be part of the same universe as JLA/JSA, or that she just won't be in the story wasn't explained.
They killed Barry Allen. They killed Kara. They can kill this "Legion" and it will hardly blip on the historical radar screens of comic or even Legion history. It was never a grand seller nor seemed to have any pertinent affect. If the writers can memorably and heroically kill this Legion in a way that has lasting affects it will be the best memorial they could give it, the best way to sell graphic novels that have already been published, and maybe even set up a scenario in which the occasional flashback story to this version might even be interesting. They could call it "Ghost of the Worst Legion Ever."

Can you tell I'm not a fan? smile
Imagine the distress preboot fans felt after they had invested 30 years of their fanhood into LSH stories that were whited out. And then fans of the postboot, with a decade-plus, eradicated.

And then fans like me who have stuck with it through thick and thin.

At this point, I don't care what version of the LSH is considered valid by the alleged PTB, I just want to *LIKE* the Legion again!
ps/ thank goodness for the 'toonverse LSH!
Well I prefer this legion over the last one. Oddly, they're MORE adult than the previous Legion and they also have a legitimate cause (fighting against stifling bureaucracy and resignment)

I loved the old Legion too but this lack of loyalty just ticks me off.
If an old legion back in the dc universe.. is a complete different legion..?
or is the legion of Superboy's pocket universe legion ?
or the Glorith version with Valor & Laurel Gand?
I'll wait for a new legion based in the old legion (without killing Karate Kid of course, and all the members lost: Ferro Lad, Matter Eater Lad, Blok, White Witch, Tyroc, Chemical King, Spider Girl,Veilmist)
But please don't kill more favorites ones.
If the writers want to kill heroes: Kill Monstress, Kinetix, Kono, XS, Cub, Gates, Lori Morning, Sensor, Thunder and more....
Disregarding the upcoming "Brave and the Bold" storyline, of course, there is the remote possibility that this Legion really is just in Supergirl's head.

I mean, that's a trap door they could use.

I'll honestly say that the fight against bureaucratic parents who instant message their coworkers even though they're standing right in the room next to them may be the biggest yawner and the most boring villain concept I have ever experienced in a comic book.
It's an idea about contrasting the legion's bright cheery optimism with a society of lowered expectations/endless compromises. The problem is people think its a generation war.

More, it seems to be a revolt against the apathy of Office Space and Clerks except with less swearing.

But how would they go about De-booting the Legion if they do? How would they introduce the Old Era Legion?
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
But how would they go about De-booting the Legion if they do? How would they introduce the Old Era Legion?
They already HAVE, no? Spinning out of a JLoA/JSoA crossover when they're pretty much DC's two top-selling monthlies would seem to make financial sense. Given a reasonably well-known creative team, they would probably start with over double the "threeboot" sales and probably settle higher than a book which is only over 30k because it has "Supergirl" in the title.
I confess. Given the universal loathing of "bad" Supergirl, why do they keep writing Bad Girl Supergirl in her own title?
keep your shoes on and your hands inside the space-vehicle!
I confess. Given the universal loathing of "bad" Supergirl, why do they keep writing Bad Girl Supergirl in her own title?
Because it keeps selling. People may complain, but until sales drop, there won't be a change.
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
If the writers want to kill heroes: Kill Monstress, Kinetix, Kono, XS, Cub, Gates, Lori Morning, Sensor, Thunder and more....
Grr....they better NOT kill Gates, XS, Danielle Foccart, Monstress, Kono!!! because we need more alien looking/non-humaniod races in the Legion! and need more black female legionnaires!
I sure hope so,But I think of it more as a revival since the Legion (1958-1985)has been missing for over 20 years now.

It sure would be nice to be able to say Long Live the Legion again.
Grr....they better NOT kill Gates, XS, Danielle Foccart, Monstress, Kono!!! because we need more alien looking/non-humaniod races in the Legion! and need more black female legionnaires!
Well, with all due respect, I think we need more Legionaires of Earth based ethnicity before we need to fill them with a bunch of aliens. Besides we've got Mon'el, Supergirl, and Superman for aliens.

;-)
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]I confess. Given the universal loathing of "bad" Supergirl, why do they keep writing Bad Girl Supergirl in her own title?
Because it keeps selling. People may complain, but until sales drop, there won't be a change.[/b]
good point. if I don't like a book, I stop buying it. I have read a lot of negative comments about Supergirl and yet the book is still selling. go figure.

when my Legion gets rebooted, I will give the originals a try. but if I don't like it, and/or if I am still peeved about being misled as to the nature of the current book I will turn away without a second look.
Well, if they do Deboot the Legion then I'm hoping that they make a little nod towards the current lineup.

Say it's "untold adventures of the Legion of Superheroes"
I thought I saw on newsarama or somewhere that the story of the Lightning Saga Legion is supposed to spin into Countdown when the JLA/JSA teamup is over.
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
What's wrong with Thunder? I liked her. A decidely different fun twist on the Shazam mythos.(But then again, I'm a BIG Shazam fan so I'm admittedly biased laugh )

So.....if the Multiverse is back.....or at least there are 52 other universes out there.....then each universe has it's own Legion??

And does this mean Superboy is now back in contuinity? (Clark, not Conner, that is)
I think they're going with "The Adventures of Superman....as a teen!"

like on the television show.
I think they're going with "The Adventures of Superman....as a teen!"

like on the television show.

What's Countdown supposed to be about anyway?
What's Countdown supposed to be about anyway?
Stuff blows up.
informative
They said all the 52 worlds are identical in 52. I think countdown is the thing that drives the divergent time lines to form. Legion, Kamandi, Kingdom Come etc.

Well, if they do Deboot the Legion then I'm hoping that they make a little nod towards the current lineup.

Say it's "untold adventures of the Legion of Superheroes"
I would Levitz Legion in the multiverse and call it Superman's Legion. You could even give it a title by that name. The only rule would be that it's interaction with the dumb DCU crossovers would be limited and the characters have to interpreted using 30-50 year old continuity. Also this would prevent the changes in the modern DCU from effecting it.

The interaction with the current edgy DCU would be reserved for a current 'teenage' Legion where there'd be no rules about how the characters are interpreted. Essentially they'd recognize that this Legion are new versions of those characters and not the originals.

Not unlike the original setup of the JSA/JLA.
informative
That was actually DC's official answer to the question awhile back.

Here's what we know:

Jimmy Olsen is targeted for death.
Eclipso tries to seduce Mary Marvel.
The Trickster and Pied Piper are handcuffed together.
Ray Palmer is searched for.
"Unto Man Shall Come A Great Disaster" which has something to do with Darkseid.

It also seems to have something to do with working out the consequences of 52, such as the fact that the multiverse is back.
So, what's people's take on it?

Are they actually going to deboot the Legion and bring it back to the Legion thats been dead for 13 years or not?
Right now, I think they're just testing the waters.

By next year... yes.

Though I don't think they'll be "debooting" per se, in that they'll wipe out the current continuity. I think they'll just shift their focus to a different world in the multiverse.
No, they're not bringing back the Legion that died 13 years, but evidently something that resembles the Earth-One Legion that ended with Crisis on Infinite Earths 21 years ago. Big, big difference to many fans.

The 3boot Legion will probably continue to exist alongside it for the forseeable future but I doubt we'll see the post-Crisis versions in DC's 52 universes (or however many universes are left standing by the end of Countdown #0). Instead, look for new ones to emerge like the Kingdom Come Legion, a Tangent Legion, Legions inspired by Batman, Wonder Woman or Lex Luthor, and such.
Originally posted by Tromium:
[QB] No, they're not bringing back the Legion that died 13 years, but evidently something that resembles the Earth-One Legion that ended with Crisis on Infinite Earths 21 years ago. Big, big difference to many fans.
Perhaps, perhaps not. The Earth-1 Legion survived a lot of retcons while still be THE Legion after all.
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
I'll honestly say that the fight against bureaucratic parents who instant message their coworkers even though they're standing right in the room next to them may be the biggest yawner and the most boring villain concept I have ever experienced in a comic book.
Well said! When I read #1 of the new series, which I had been looking forward to reading a lot because of Waid and Kitson involved, my first reaction was... "Huh??? Where is the story???"

Unfortunately that didn't change since after Supergirl came on board. So I don't care one little bit about this incarnation of the Legion, I really don't think it is working and reading those JSA issues with the old heroes popping up made me really happy. I really can't feel sorry for the fans whose two years of tiny continuity without a plot might be wiped out after MY 30 years of continuity full of legendary stories have been wiped out just the same in 1994...
mad
I really can't feel sorry for the fans whose two years of tiny continuity without a plot might be wiped out after MY 30 years of continuity full of legendary stories have been wiped out just the same in 1994...

Thank you, some of us happen to like BOTH of the stories. However, I for one, believe the Legion was hopelessly sprocked up beyond all repair by the time of the Reboot.
I won't go so far as to say that I like all Legion stories (you can keep the Conway stuff, probably a lot of the Silver Age stuff, and the Legion on the Run, for instance), but I have a high regard for most of it. So this:

I really can't feel sorry for the fans whose two years of tiny continuity without a plot might be wiped out after MY 30 years of continuity full of legendary stories have been wiped out just the same in 1994...
is quite contrary to my point of view. What, Chemical King's feelings are more important than those of a newer fan, because he doesn't like the newer stories? No. All Legion fans are created equal and all have the same right to want their favourite stories in continuity. Currently, fans of the threeboot have that and fans of the original, SW6 and reboot Legions don't. And that's not fair. But we won't fix it by making itn unfair in somebody else's favour.

However, I for one, believe the Legion was hopelessly sprocked up beyond all repair by the time of the Reboot.
I don't think it was hopeless. They could have solved a lot of the problems by giving Brainiac 5 a haircut.
[b] No, they're not bringing back the Legion that died 13 years, but evidently something that resembles the Earth-One Legion that ended with Crisis on Infinite Earths 21 years ago. Big, big difference to many fans.
Perhaps, perhaps not. The Earth-1 Legion survived a lot of retcons while still be THE Legion after all. [/b]
It all depends on this: if New Earth Superman and Supergirl turn out to be resurrected versions of Earth-One Clark and Kara, the Legion may very well share the same origin.

However, judging by what the Superman/girl writers have to say, they are new incarnations of Clark and Kara meant to recall the iconic aspects of the Silver and Bronze Age characters, not the originals themselves. The next year will tell, I suppose. It doesn't really matter to me.

As for the post-Crisis Legion(s) from 1986 to 1994 (and I do agree the situation was pretty hopeless in 1994), I have the feeling DC will either never refer to them again or explain them away as a "nightmare", as other posters have suggested. The latter option is similar to what they did recently with the Metal Men -- Doc's 90s adventures as a robot were the result of neglecting to take his meds. Personally, I'd prefer if they spun them off into a separate universe of their own, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Well I take everything with something of a grain of salt really. For example, Superman is a hero that has a career spanning 70 years of comics.

Now, intellectually, we understand that there have been three Supermen at this point. Golden Age Superman whom officially died as of Infinite Crisis, The Silver Age Superman whom seems to have been nulled by Man of Steel, and now the current one that is being slowly patched with Silver Age continuity.

For me, though, there's only one Superman. Despite all the retcons and so on, the essence of the character is in a single superhero. It's an intellectual distinction but its one that I happen to make.

If these "New/Old" (I use this to refer to characters that are SUPPOSED to be the characters we know and love) Legionaires are close enough to the Old continuity to pass muster then I'll accept them. Like the Doom Patrol, everyone was DEAD at the end of their series. Now they're all alive again and no one is questioning how. We just move on.

If some elements are different like Saturn Girl isn't married to LL or has no kids, I won't disregard it out of hand. I had enough problems with the Mon'El as Superboy Reboot with laurel Gand but I actually liked Laurel by the end of it all. I could have coped, this is likely to be far closer to what I consider the "real" Legion.

(Oddly, I'd like the current WAID Legion to be considered a Legion: Birthright style series and part of the past---I also wished that they really would make the Reboot Legion into Earth-2's Legion despite what Infinite Crisis said)
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Jimmy Olsen is targeted for death.
Eclipso tries to seduce Mary Marvel.
The Trickster and Pied Piper are handcuffed together.
Ray Palmer is searched for.
"Unto Man Shall Come A Great Disaster" which has something to do with Darkseid.
The Great Disaster might be a reference to Kamandi's future or at least the event that might lead to it (if that is indeed DC's intent)

Also of note, Meltzer has said that the Legion was established due to an inspiration of something that happened in our time.

Possible connection?
I think they already made Kamandi's future canon by destroying Bludhaven while building an underground vault beneath it.
Charles is on target for those that didn't see it. We actually saw Bunker "Command D" in the Battle for Bludhaven mini.

And speculation has led many to believe Kamandi will play a role in Countdown--even if not the character, but the events leading up to his timeline.
A little strange for a single series that threatens planetary decimation but DC loves its properties. Amazing they can insert a nod towards Kamandi but the Legion continuity gives them so much Hell.

But yeah, thats a "cake and eat it too" scenario.
I think it's jumping to conclusions to say that DC will "deboot" the current Legion back to the late bronze age equivalent. My sense is that they're using the bronze age Legion to make a point about the newly returned Multiverse. We don't know what that point is yet, though, and won't know at least until the Lightning Saga is complete, and possibly not until Countdown wraps up.

For me, I've enjoyed just about every iteration of the Legion over the last 25 years with the exception of the Legion on the run and pretty much all of DnA's run. I have a special fondness for Levitz's Legion and I'm glad to see them back, but I've also really enjoyed the WaK Legion and would be sorry to see them go.
I gotta think that DC has to be looking at the sales figures. The sad truth is that over 50K picked up Waid's Legion #1 but over 20K of those have since gone away in the past two years. This current version is not meeting sales expectations. Why not jump start it on the Legion 50th anniversary year with something fans are responding positively to? (and I mean a lot of fans!). The Levitz Legion has got a lot of history and success to draw upon. I think we will be seeing a lot of it for the next year or so, in crossovers and hopefully in the main title itself. The Legion fans are out there, but the current version isn't satisfying enough of them, myself included.
It#s not about "newer is better" or "the old continuity is better" but about which continuity lasted longer -> who has (or will be) loosing / lost more. And it is obviously clear that fans of the threeboot (and of that alone) are loosing much less than we all have lost 1994.

Rebooting any comic has nothing to do with fairness anyway. It's only about money and what some creators deem to be a "bold new direction"...

I really don't have ANY feelings about the Threeboot - I hated the Reboot, but the Threeboot? - no feelings at all, total irrelevance to me... frown
Originally posted by Chemical King:
It#s not about "newer is better" or "the old continuity is better" but about which continuity lasted longer -> who has (or will be) loosing / lost more. And it is obviously clear that fans of the threeboot (and of that alone) are loosing much less than we all have lost 1994.

Rebooting any comic has nothing to do with fairness anyway. It's only about money and what some creators deem to be a "bold new direction"...

I really don't have ANY feelings about the Threeboot - I hated the Reboot, but the Threeboot? - no feelings at all, total irrelevance to me... frown
They don't have to reboot anything anyway. Nobody has to lose anything. If DC wants to tell stories about the original Legion, they can do it without throwing away the current Legion. There's the multiverse, multiple futures... there are any number of mechanisms DC could use to plausibly keep any number of different Legion versions around (although they almost certainly wouldn't feature more than one version regularly in a comic book, and I'm not suggesting that they should), and to do so in a nonconfusing way.
How exactly do you quantify that? Seems to me that you equate longevity, and therefore the existence of more material, more "story", as indicative of higher quality and the ultimate reason for why "your" version of the Legion is more worthy of survival than others, which is a concept I really do not understand. Sure, by wiping out of existence a long-running Legion version you are going to lose a lot, which is certainly a shame. A long run does however not automatically signify quality for all readers, since everybody's tastes are subjective, or make losing other versions less of a loss for their fans, who might have other, equally valid reasons for thinking "their" Legion" the best.

The problem I have with your statement is not that you hold one Legion in very high regard and dislike the "other" Legions, that's perfectly okay - as I said, everybody has different tastes, and I see absolutely nothing wrong even with severely criticising those versions you might not happen to like, or basing your preference of your favorite Legion on the fact that there is an immense, rich amount of history behind it.

What sticks in my throat though is that you seem to enjoy other fans potentially being "screwed over" just like the pre-ZH Legion fans. What exactly do you want to achieve by stating "now you'll see what it's like to lose your continuity, you lovers of different 'boots, you"? Saying that it is justified that those "other-booters" lose their versions since those are clearly defficient in the first place on account of having existed for a shorter amount of time, and then additionally taking delight in the whole cancelling idea is like me saying "Well, my car got stolen once, and that totally sucked, but now it has happened to you too, ha ha!" This whole schadenfreude aspect strikes me as a bit less than magnanimous, especially in light of your favourite version coming back anyway.

PS.: Regardless of my feelings on the threeboot Legion, I'll believe it'll be cancelled when I see it.
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I gotta think that DC has to be looking at the sales figures. The sad truth is that over 50K picked up Waid's Legion #1 but over 20K of those have since gone away in the past two years. This current version is not meeting sales expectations. Why not jump start it on the Legion 50th anniversary year with something fans are responding positively to? (and I mean a lot of fans!). The Levitz Legion has got a lot of history and success to draw upon. I think we will be seeing a lot of it for the next year or so, in crossovers and hopefully in the main title itself. The Legion fans are out there, but the current version isn't satisfying enough of them, myself included.
What about the sales situation in 1993/1994? The Legion had disappeared from the charts before LSH #50 and TPTB would have given their right arm for sales of 30K. Where was Legion fandom then?

What about in 1988/1989, at the end of the Levitz run, when sales were said to be so stagnant they considered rebooting back to Day One? Where was Legion fandom then?

What about after Crisis, in 1986/1987, by which time the once #2-selling title had plummeted down the sales charts and the reprint experiment was cancelled. Where was Legion fandom then?

Why have Paul Levitz and other DC executives approved one relaunch after another instead of trying to find a way to rework the original version? People are conveniently forgetting that for the 8 years preceeding Zero Hour, the old Legion was a sales failure, too. The fact the post-ZH version topped out at ~25K and the Waid/Kitson reboot is losing buyers is not a victory for supporters of the original version. It merely supports TPTB's suspicions that the franchise is moribund.

If the tide is turning towards a "de-boot" (or what people perceive as such), we'd better hope that every single voice on the Internet message boards clamoring for the return of the old Legion represents at least 5,000 actual buyers who will stick with it for at least three years. Because if the next attempt fails to satisfy TPTB's sales expectations, chances are there is no more Legion. Not for you. Not for me. Not for anybody.
Trom's perspective and analysis is as usual, thorough, thoughtful and convincing (checks in the mail?).

Seriously, the Legion has been on the brink of extinction many times. I think it survived into the 1970s just because DC had pages to fill, and it was a place for young creators like Bates and Cockrum to bust their chops. It was the weed-out course at DC.
I will say that I don't think there's much danger that DC's going to completely shut down the Legion. Here's my logic.

1. DC is always going to publish a certain number of comic books.
2. DC only has so many characters to populate those comics.
3. The Legion's sales might not be everything we want them to be, but they're a lot better than a lot of other DC books, including some that nobody thinks they're going to cancel.

I'm sure DC's looking for a way to improve sales on the Legion. I don't know what they're going to settle on. They may switch to a different version. They may even, for all I know, let the franchise take a break for a year or two (although I doubt it). But I don't think they'll mothball the Legion permanently, simply because they don't have that many stronger candidates to do a monthly series about.
All right, maybe I was a little too histrionic, but the Legion could easily go the way of the Doom Patrol and Metal Men and become a side-show act.
I think the Legion has a much larger fanbase overall than properties like the Doom Patrol or the Metal Men, so much so that it would be difficult to sideline it for long. They may not agree on anything and may hate basically anything that gets done with the Legion, but they'll complain enough if there's no Legion that I can't imagine DC not having a Legion title for long. Plus the DC editorial seems to be becoming invested in the notion of the LSH as the "third great franchise super-hero team" or whatever, along with JSA/JLA.

I actually think it might be better for the overall health of the title to let it lay dormant for a couple of years, however.
I can't believe that DC would cancel or "sideline" the Legion with their 50th anniversary coming right up.

The tag line for the next issue reads: "The end of an era is a new beginning." I hope that doesn't mean another reboot, but nothing would surprise me from these clowns anymore.
The sad fact is DC is a business and sales are the bottom line at the end of the day. According to the last sales report I've seen (in CBG #1630) for Feb. '07, the current Legion title didn't make neither the Top 50 titles ordered by retailers nor the Top 50 titles sold by retailers.
I don't have any answers. All I know is this -- for the sake of the Legion, its fans better stop pitting one incarnation against the other, denouncing honest and well intentioned creators like Waid and Kiston, shutting the door in the faces of new fans with comments like "now you know how we felt in 1994", and holding out for the one and only "real" Legion. Because odds are it isn't coming soon to a theater near you. Meltzer has already mentioned a ""new explanation for the Legion" and is dancing around the word "retcon". His statement, "I'm someone who doesn't like writing about the old stories", was not for nothing, either.

The new Multiverse (assuming it actually survives Countdown) is a gift, and if we can't find it in our hearts to support all and sundry visions of the Legion that happen to live in it, we support none of them. They are all cut from the same cloth and if people start demanding that certain threads be removed because they don't like those particular colors, the whole fabric may unravel.

The campaign to restore the Legion to popularity has to begin here, on this very board, where there seems to be a concentration of people with living brain cells in their heads who understand the stakes. Yes, indeedie, the shepherds of the Legion have screwed things up over the past twenty years, but they didn't mean to. We in our divisiveness enabled them, but we didn't mean to. Starting today, let's just make sure they -- and we -- don't make the same mistakes all over again.
Hm. I'm surprisingly rallied Tromium. You might have just given me the first positive feeling about the Legion I've had in awhile. Well spoken! cheers

But at the end of the day...the one I want to see in stories, no matter who is in continuity or not, is the original Legion.
Trom, that sounds ver inspiring but what if you don't like a certain Legion? Do I still buy it to support it? Um, no. I started buying the DNA Legion at a certain point cause I liked it. Same with Waid/Kitson. I bought the first few issues then stopped. But not because it's a new legion but because I didn't enjoy the book. I checked it out later and liked it so i started buying again.

Also what I think is best for the Legion is different than others. And the Meltzer quotes got me excited. smile

I have no problem with a multiple Legions. But a certain Legion is popular for more reasons than just "it was the Legion I grew up with".
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Trom, that sounds ver inspiring but what if you don't like a certain Legion? Do I still buy it to support it? Um, no. I started buying the DNA Legion at a certain point cause I liked it. Same with Waid/Kitson. I bought the first few issues then stopped. But not because it's a new legion but because I didn't enjoy the book. I checked it out later and liked it so i started buying again.
I wouldn't go so far to say buy a book you dislike -- I have not supported every version of the Legion and there's one or two I've openly admitted I detest -- but I do ask people to stop and consider the consequences before joining the madding crowd demanding that one creation be dismantled and replaced by "the one real Legion", which even its promoters can't seem to precisely define, and probably won't be what DC has in mind anyway.

To tell you the truth, for all my support of the 3boot Legion, I'm not completely invested in it, either, but I will be sorely disappointed if DC sends yet another incarnation of the LSH on a mission to annihilate the previous one, even symbolically. Somewhere there's a Legion Life Equation that encompasses its entire its panoramic history, both ancient and modern, and we ought to be thinking of ways to encourage DC to find it instead of giving them an open invitation to perpetrate more carnage.

That is all for today's lecture, my dear. wink
I have already, many times, pointed out my particular proposal that goes along with Tromium's ideas, but since it's relevant to the conversation I'll do it again, just in case anyone hasn't seen it: The Legion Manifesto
Originally posted by Matthew E:
[b]It#s not about "newer is better" or "the old continuity is better" but about which continuity lasted longer -> who has (or will be) loosing / lost more. And it is obviously clear that fans of the threeboot (and of that alone) are loosing much less than we all have lost 1994.

They don't have to reboot anything anyway. Nobody has to lose anything. If DC wants to tell stories about the original Legion, they can do it without throwing away the current Legion. There's the multiverse, multiple futures... there are any number of mechanisms DC could use to plausibly keep any number of different Legion versions around (although they almost certainly wouldn't feature more than one version regularly in a comic book, and I'm not suggesting that they should), and to do so in a nonconfusing way. [/b]
Absolutely right. I think a very successful way this was done was over at Marvel with the Ultimate Universe - you keep the old continuity for us oldtimers, you have a parallel new continuity and everybody can choose which one he will buy, both or just one of them. That's a very decent solution. DCs Multiverse was fine as long as there was Earth 1-3 - but it got confusing and now, after Reboot, Threeboot and all, it will be very confusing again to bring back the old guys...
Originally posted by Insomniac Girl:
[b] It#s not about "newer is better" or "the old continuity is better" but about which continuity lasted longer -> who has (or will be) loosing / lost more. And it is obviously clear that fans of the threeboot (and of that alone) are loosing much less than we all have lost 1994.
How exactly do you quantify that? Seems to me that you equate longevity, and therefore the existence of more material, more "story", as indicative of higher quality and the ultimate reason for why "your" version of the Legion is more worthy of survival than others, which is a concept I really do not understand. Sure, by wiping out of existence a long-running Legion version you are going to lose a lot, which is certainly a shame. A long run does however not automatically signify quality for all readers, since everybody's tastes are subjective, or make losing other versions less of a loss for their fans, who might have other, equally valid reasons for thinking "their" Legion" the best.

(snip snip)

What sticks in my throat though is that you seem to enjoy other fans potentially being "screwed over" just like the pre-ZH Legion fans. What exactly do you want to achieve by stating "now you'll see what it's like to lose your continuity, you lovers of different 'boots, you"? Saying that it is justified that those "other-booters" lose their versions since those are clearly defficient in the first place on account of having existed for a shorter amount of time, and then additionally taking delight in the whole cancelling idea is like me saying "Well, my car got stolen once, and that totally sucked, but now it has happened to you too, ha ha!" This whole schadenfreude aspect strikes me as a bit less than magnanimous, especially in light of your favourite version coming back anyway.
[/b]
Oh well. There's a tendency in this board to feel attacked when people are just posting their honest opinion. Calm down.

I did not say anything about quality. I said that there is more to be lost in 30 years of Legion than in two years of Legion. Where is there a comment about quality in that?

The amount of Schadenfreude - an adopted German word, I like it smile - would have been there if this would be the board I posted at in 1995 where there were tons of new readers bashing on the 5YL run of Keith Giffen while their new Legionnaires were busy fighting "Tangleweb". But that was the Reboot. As I stated before: I have absolutely no bad feelings about the Threeboot and the people who are liking it are welcome to. What I am hoping to achieve is to help the new readers in understanding that it may be bad to loose (maybe, maybe not) a (however flawed) modern version of the Legion about two years old - but that you have to quadruple these feelings to understand how many of the oldtimers felt back in 1994 and that we did get over it (mostly). So they will get over it as well smile

IF the Threeboot is debooted again. IF.

So no hard feelings, no attacks and no megalomania, just honest feelings and memories. Okay?
I wouldn't go so far to say buy a book you dislike -- I have not supported every version of the Legion and there's one or two I've openly admitted I detest -- but I do ask people to stop and consider the consequences before joining the madding crowd demanding that one creation be dismantled and replaced by "the one real Legion", which even its promoters can't seem to precisely define, and probably won't be what DC has in mind anyway.

[/QB]
Ah ok. I understand. wink thanks
My favorite Legion version is the Levitz one. That said, I will support any Legion version that provides good stories. IMO the Levitz version was generally successful because it built upon its predecessors, evolving rather than deconstructing and remaking (rebooting). TMK, Zero Hour and the latest Waid version all had to change things to the creator's own 'vision' rather than simply pick up the baton and go with it. The result is the convoluted history we now have. To me, it's a slap in the face to all the previous writers who contributed to developing the Legion mythos to basically have their stories undone or twisted in some way. DnA had it right when, as they had inherited a bad situation, went forward with good stories rather than trying to rewrite what had come before them (I'm thinking specifically of the Wildfire re-origin).

I've enjoyed some bits and pieces from all different versions, and from many Elseworlds tales. If each month was a different Elseworlds Legion, I'd probably buy it. BUT - to have consistent sales, DC needs to implement some kind of Legion continuity and stick with it. The version that's been around the longest with the most to draw upon seems to be to be the obvious way to go.
I would have to disagree. I think the best way to show support for the book is to buy it. Simple as that.

Awhile back, while re-thinking my pull list, I actually considered dropping W/K's Legion. But then I decided against it. Why? DC is publishing them on a monthly basis. They are invested in promoting this book and having it out for the fans. Waid has come up with some fresh innovative concepts for the title. Do I agree with all of them? No, I don't but I don't let that run me away from purchasing the book. These are the same characters and team that I have faithfully read whenever I have been able to all these years and if DC continues to publish them in their own title, I will buy it regardless.

The same with all the 'other' Legion eras. Levitz, Giffin, McGraw, Peyer, Waid, DnA, they all had their strengths and their weaknesses and I was willing to accept all of those because of my love for the characters and the team.

I don't want to see them relegated to guest appearances or what-not like they've done to one of my other fav characters, Captain Marvel. It's only recently that has changed about him. But we can show support for the team by buying the title but by also letting DC know that we think they can improve it, change it for the better. That we love these characters as much as they do and that can be reflected in their history and stories.

Now, apparently DC is on track to correct things about the Legion and their history which is a good thing. Because all I've ever heard from non-Legion comic fans is how they like the concept and the group but they don't want to get bogged down in all that contuinity mess. It's like X-Men syndrome on steroids. Mayhaps some house-cleaning is in vast order and if so, I'll be right there with them . smile
Fact is, if you buy the book, you are supporting THIS LoSH above any and all others. It's binary - support this, or support none. Sales don't tell DC "I'd like a different Legion please".

Now, if you like the pre-Crisis team, you have an alternative option of being sure to buy JoLA and JoSA right now. But, again, that only works if they see a noticable spike for those issues and a noticeable drop thereafter. And a corresponding drop for SLOSH.

And, if you like the 5YL team or post-ZH team, you're screwed and have no way to send a message DC will listen to. Again, buying the current book only supports the CURRENT team, and it's foolish to suggest otherwise.
No, there's something else you can do. You can write them letters. Not e-mails; snailmail letters. A while ago I boiled down the stuff I wrote in the Legion Manifesto posts from my blog and sent in three letters, one each to Paul Levitz, Dan DiDio and Mike Marts. I got a couple of nice but noncommittal letters back.

If we all do this, they'll listen. There's just something about getting letters in the mail that stands out.

Of course, it's important that we all ask for the same thing from them, or they'll just conclude that Legion fandom is hopelessly splintered and it'll go nowhere. So I recommend that people write DC and ask them to restore all versions of the Legion to active continuity. I think this is the best thing to ask for for several reasons:

1. it's my idea and I like it
2. it's what I already asked them and repetition helps strengthen the message
3. it's got something in it for everyone.

Just a suggestion; do what you think best. But DC's mailing address is:

DC Comics
1700 Broadway
New York, NY 10019
U.S.A.

Letter-writing tips: be polite, be brief (one page or less!), be legible and be clear.
double post
Of course, it's [b]important that we all ask for the same thing from them, or they'll just conclude that Legion fandom is hopelessly splintered and it'll go nowhere. So I recommend that people write DC and ask them to restore all versions of the Legion to active continuity. I think this is the best thing to ask for for several reasons:

3. it's got something in it for everyone.[/b]
Thing is:

1) "Returning all versions to active continuity" is, in and of itself, meaningless. What matters is usage (and the reverse) - and, especially, which one has the ongoing comic (since I don't think anyone thinks or expects that they'd publish more than one version - NB: tie-ins to other media don't count for the purposes of the last sentence, since they're aimed at a completely different market). In the sense you mean, the Legion's MU counterpart, the Guardians of the Galaxy, are "in active continuity" - but they still haven't appeared in a comic in over ten years. And what even consititutes a "version" - aren't the 5YL Legionnaires essentially the same "version" as the Adventure team when you come down to it?

2) Frankly, I think Legion fandom **IS** "hopelessly splintered" at this point.
I agree with Matthew. Fans disenchantment with the way Nightwing was being written didn't help convey the message they wanted creative change, it was interpreted by TPTB that Nightwing was killable.

You want all versions of the the Legion killed? Then stop buying the current book and confine your opinions to grumbling on Internet boards. The only message they're likely to get is the Legion is disposable.

I repeat what I said earlier, pitting one incarnation against another is destructive, and Legion fandom has to rise above that limited mentality. It's one and all, or we may be left with nothing at all.
I think I've said something along the lines of "I'd rather sleep on a bed of rusty nails under a blanket composed of woven live poisonous snakes than buy a threeboot Legion book" (if not those exact words) before, and I stand by that.

I'm only interested in one version of the Legion, and have no desire or interest to waste time, money or brain cells on another version. Unless something which I expect will never happen happens, I'll keep my promise to never buy any new Legion stuff ever again. And if it kills the book - well, it's dead to me already, so no change there.

Oh, and if that unthinkable thing happens, I'll still only get it if it's good. "10th Anniversary AoA" looms large in my mind on that score, which served only to attempt to demolish everything that was good about the AoA.
I think the new Multiverse will have 52 legions. smile DC is saying they are all parallels. I am guessing most of the Legions we've seen will be around.
Below is a quote from the Newsarama interview with Geoff Johns about 52. They're discussing the new 52 multiverse:

NRAMA: But after Infinite Crisis seemed to attempt some kind of former multiverse return and played upon that old idea, why go back to a different, new multiverse that exists out there? A new one that hasn't been explored at all?

GJ: Because there are still stories to tell. The idea of a multiverse should be available for those stories. Why put things on a shelf and let them get dusty? Why not put them out there so people can use them? If you don't want to use them, don't use them. But if you want to use them, they're there. That's what we're all about right now -- not putting rules on things. The DC Universe has always been about stories of all types and different interpretations of characters. Let that continue. Allow a megaverse to exist. Allow a book to be anything it wants to be. Allow the characters that people love to be able to be used.
Hard not interpret Geoff's comments in light of the "old" Legion's appearance in JLA/JSA.
Originally posted by Reboot:
I think I've said something along the lines of "I'd rather sleep on a bed of rusty nails under a blanket composed of woven live poisonous snakes than buy a threeboot Legion book" (if not those exact words) before, and I stand by that.

I'm only interested in one version of the Legion, and have no desire or interest to waste time, money or brain cells on another version. Unless something which I expect will never happen happens, I'll keep my promise to never buy any new Legion stuff ever again. And if it kills the book - well, it's dead to me already, so no change there.
You are perfectly entitled to that opinion and so are all others who believe the Legion is defeated, and that the rest of us can do nothing about it. I prefer not to go there.

What a timely quote, doublechinner!
Re: Geoff's comments.

Not putting rules on things. I like.
[b] I think I've said something along the lines of "I'd rather sleep on a bed of rusty nails under a blanket composed of woven live poisonous snakes than buy a threeboot Legion book" (if not those exact words) before, and I stand by that.

You are perfectly entitled to that opinion and so are all others who believe the Legion is defeated, and that the rest of us can do nothing about it. I prefer not to go there.[/b]
I'm struggling to think of an apt comparison here, since the number of properties which have been rebooted in situ, like Legion has, is miniscule. It's like closing Season 5 of a show, and open Season 6 with a complete different troupe of actors playing nominally the same characters, but in completely different ways and without any of the past events counting.

Really, here's how I see it - if Farscape is cancelled and Stargate goes in its' slot, does that mean you're obliged to follow Stargate since it'll convince Sci-Fi to bring Farscape back? That's the sort of bass-ackwards logic you're presenting me with here.
I tend to agree with Reboot but also agree the real decision maker is "good stories."

Problem is, until I hear the stories ARE good, I probably wouldn't be buying another "reboot." A "deboot," yes, because at least I'll know it is a team with which I have emotional connection and that is worth a half years give it a go money.

Face it, deboot, reboot, boot in the patootie, if Legion were made a major player instead of a remote fanbook and the characters given special status up there with the League, who of us wouldn't be tempted to pick up a few issues, risk emotional attachment to a Legion that is not "ours?"
Hmm... I'd like to think that what really interests me is good stories, and I don't care about the version, but here I am buying the JLA/JSA crossover, despite the fact that I don't particularly like either book, simply because of Kenz Nuhor. I do own all of his appearances, after all!

I think I'm getting to the point where I'll only buy a Legion series under one of two conditions:

1) It features a team that either is or is a close analogue of the team that was featured in Adv. #300 to #380. As long as most of that history is intact, I'm there.

or

2) It doesn't feature that team, but is nonetheless of *extremely* high quality. I'm talking The Spirit level goodness.

Beyond that, I'm actually kind of tired of buying comics that I consider mediocre or that feature characters I like replaced by giant snakes and such just to support "The Legion" as an abstract ideal.
I'm struggling to think of an apt comparison here, since the number of properties which have been rebooted in situ, like Legion has, is miniscule. It's like closing Season 5 of a show, and open Season 6 with a complete different troupe of actors playing nominally the same characters, but in completely different ways and without any of the past events counting.

Really, here's how I see it - if Farscape is cancelled and Stargate goes in its' slot, does that mean you're obliged to follow Stargate since it'll convince Sci-Fi to bring Farscape back? That's the sort of bass-ackwards logic you're presenting me with here.
The crucial idea you seem unwilling to accept or even acknowledge, is that all Legions are cut from the same cloth and represent a unified mythology played out in different ways. I have long argued that was the case but now it's official -- we can postulate they are all the same "souls" replicated by the birth of the Multiverse and sent off on their own unique journeys. In that light, the Farscape vs. Stargate doesn't register, and if I have to use it at all, they are more like different episodes of the same long-running show. That "bass-ackwards logic" works just fine for me, if not for you.

People will undoubtedly gravitate to some versions and turn up their noses at others based on their own personal biases and prior reading histories, and DC will be watching which way the wind blows, but as far as I'm concerned, the terms "reboot" and "deboot" should now be considered obsolete.
I have long argued that was the case but now it's official -- we can postulate they are all the same "souls" replicated by the birth of the Multiverse and sent off on their own unique journeys.
The multiverse as you have it is an entirely artificial construct - pre-Crisis, there was a traintrack (non-divergent) multiverse. Post-Crisis, there was no multiverse. Post-Zero Hour, there was a branching (divergent) multiverse in the form of Hypertime. Now, there's a limited traintrack multiverse again.

And, while I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, didn't End of and Era end with something like "the souls of this Legion will live on in the reborn timeline" anyway? In-fiction, often contradictory, explainations for this are all irrelevant on what we're talking about. Ask EDE and his "characters [he] like[s] replaced by giant snakes"

In that light, the Farscape vs. Stargate doesn't register, and if I have to use it at all, they are more like different episodes of the same long-running show. That "bass-ackwards logic" works just fine for me, if not for you.
But then you're using my other example - where Season 6 has different actors playing different versions of characters than appeared in Season 5, with every prior actor and writer fired, so the characters they don't look the same - perhaps radically so, with actors of different ethnicities and genders taking some roles - don't act the same, and a chunk of the characters simply disappear without explanation, while the title sequence, theme music, logo and directorial style have also changed.

Under all those circumstances, calling it the same show is ******* - it's a branding excercise and nothing else to claim otherwise.

Hell, take a Snickers bar. If Mars-the-company replace the peanuts with hazelnuts, the chocolate with white chocolate, the brown nougat with white nougat and the caramel with fudge, and withdraw the old version of Snickers completely to replace it, should everyone who liked old Snickers bars but hate the new ones continue to buy Snickers bars because, hell, Mars might stop making Snickers bars completely and they're bound to take your purchase of nuSnickers as a sign that you want oldSnickers bars on the shelves?

Because when Mars replaced the brown nougat with white nougat in Milky Way bars here, people kept buying, so they didn't change back. Whereas with Coca-Cola, well, I'm sure you've heard of what happened when they changed the formula .

People will undoubtedly gravitate to some versions and turn up their noses at others based on their own personal biases and prior reading histories, and DC will be watching which way the wind blows, but as far as I'm concerned, the terms "reboot" and "deboot" should now be considered obsolete.
Why, exactly? You're thinking of in-fiction, but that's irrelevant. What matters is what version of the team stars in the present-of-the-time Legion of Super-Heroes (whatever the exact name) comic.
I really don't see how you can incorporate all the different versions of the Legion together at this point into a 'unified mythology'. If the characters are changed enough, at a certain point they are different characters from what they were. That's where we are now with the Legion.

Take Jeckie for example; how can she exist as Princess Projectra, Sensor Girl and Sneckie? Is she dating Timber Wolf or Karate Kid. Is Karate Kid alive or dead? Is Orando existent or not (what about our little raccoon friends?).

That's just one of a number of many Legion characters who have become twisted into multiple personalities. Any Legion ideals that would unify characters over different versions have become so vague as to be increasingly estranging readers who have been fans for a period of time.

Our choices as readers are:
1) Continue with the current continuity - this seems unlikely as the JLA/JSA crossover seems to be heading.
2) Multiple versions in multiple titles - a la the 52 earth Legions
3) A new reboot starting yet a new scenario, possibly drawing from a past version - this hasn't really worked well yet.

None of these choices will ever cure any continuity fanatics out there - the Pandora's Box has already been opened (repeatedly).
It's not just that the characters have been changed, but that the fundamental essence of what the Legion is about has been altered from one version to the next. Is it a super-hero club inspired by the legend of Superboy? Is it part of a PR campaign by a fledgling Interplanetary Government? Is it a mass youth movement trying to alter a stagnant society?
[b]Of course, it's [b]important that we all ask for the same thing from them, or they'll just conclude that Legion fandom is hopelessly splintered and it'll go nowhere. So I recommend that people write DC and ask them to restore all versions of the Legion to active continuity. I think this is the best thing to ask for for several reasons:

3. it's got something in it for everyone.[/b]
Thing is:

1) "Returning all versions to active continuity" is, in and of itself, meaningless. What matters is usage (and the reverse) - and, especially, which one has the ongoing comic (since I don't think anyone thinks or expects that they'd publish more than one version - NB: tie-ins to other media don't count for the purposes of the last sentence, since they're aimed at a completely different market). In the sense you mean, the Legion's MU counterpart, the Guardians of the Galaxy, are "in active continuity" - but they still haven't appeared in a comic in over ten years. And what even consititutes a "version" - aren't the 5YL Legionnaires essentially the same "version" as the Adventure team when you come down to it?

2) Frankly, I think Legion fandom **IS** "hopelessly splintered" at this point.[/b]
1. It's not quite meaningless. The reboot Legion (for instance) can't appear in a comic unless they're there, can they? And as far as we know right now, they're not there. Not really. So let's get DC to establish that they're around, someplace, and same for all the other versions, and after that we'll worry about what comes next.

(As for the 5YL Legion, to me they're the same Legion as the original Legion, but they're such a love-'em-or-hate-'em group among Legion fans that it might be a better idea for DC to treat them as completely distinct, even though they really aren't. Other than that, yeah, you only really need three versions, not counting the SW6 Legion as a separate version. But you could have, like, Superboy's Legion (under a different title, of course), the Adult Legion...)

2. No, there's one thing we can all agree on: we all like the Legion. So we should be able to all get behind the idea of having all versions of the Legion available for anyone who likes them. I hope there's nobody here with the attitude of 'I like my favourite version of the Legion so much that I don't want any of the others ever to appear in comics again, no matter how many people like them.'

Anyway, whatever we want, it's not true that there's no way of asking for it. There is. Write a letter. No guarantees, but it allows you to convey more information than buying or not buying does.
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I really don't see how you can incorporate all the different versions of the Legion together at this point into a 'unified mythology'. If the characters are changed enough, at a certain point they are different characters from what they were. That's where we are now with the Legion.

Take Jeckie for example; how can she exist as Princess Projectra, Sensor Girl and Sneckie? Is she dating Timber Wolf or Karate Kid. Is Karate Kid alive or dead? Is Orando existent or not (what about our little raccoon friends?).

That's just one of a number of many Legion characters who have become twisted into multiple personalities. Any Legion ideals that would unify characters over different versions have become so vague as to be increasingly estranging readers who have been fans for a period of time.
If you think in terms of character archetypes -- which is why I use the word "mythology" -- they do fit together. But, of course, in Jeckie/Jeka you deliberately pose the thorniest possible example. Even the most coherent mythologies are not seamless, but the exceptions do not make the rule.

To use more typical examples instead, how do you *not* see various versions of, say, Cosmic Boy, Ultra Boy, Phantom Girl, Chameleon or Light/ning Lass, as anything but variations of the same theme? Their histories and culture differ as much as their costumes and codenames, but their conceptual DNA is 99.999 identical. Yeah, even evil versions and the ones people call punks and thugs these days. The cartoon characters, too, including werewolf Brin and robot-boy Brainy.

As for the overall Legion mythology, it's simple and we all know it by heart: A thousand years from now, a colorful band of supers, formed by three teenagers inspired by one or more present-day heroes (preferably a member of the El family), grow up to form a legion and fight evil and injustice throughout the galaxy. Yadda, yadda, yadda. The form that "evil and injustice" takes -- whether its monsters and robots or an oppressive adult society -- does not substantially affect the essential mythology. It just makes for a different riff on the same old tune. We will soon hear other variations of the same tune we've never heard before, but most of them will be familiar.

I am not surprised if people resist the idea of not having one definitive version of the Legion (ideally their favorite) with a single history whose details are permanently written in stone. That's understandable, but I also believe we should be ready for a storytelling paradigm shift to take place in the near future. What they do in "The Lightning Saga" will tell a lot.

(As for the 5YL Legion, to me they're the same Legion as the original Legion, but they're such a love-'em-or-hate-'em group among Legion fans that it might be a better idea for DC to treat them as completely distinct, even though they really aren't. Other than that, yeah, you only really need three versions, not counting the SW6 Legion as a separate version. But you could have, like, Superboy's Legion (under a different title, of course), the Adult Legion...)

Bringing back the Levitz Legion in the 70s costumes means that 5YL will be nothing but a bad, Bobby Ewing is dead-like dream in Ultra Boys memory - which is a shame, on the one hand, because I considered Giffens writing as a very adult approach to the Legiopn and loved it a whole lot but, on the other hand, I can understand that many people did not like the slight changes he had to shoehorn in like Kid Quantum or Sean Erin. But the point is: As long as any writer tells any stories again in the original continuity in a similar, sophisticated (and maybe controversial) way, it would be a dream come true even if we lost 5YL.

The way writers are telling stories these days - Lost, Battlestar Galactica or Heroes on TV, Squadron Supreme, Newuniversal or maybe 52 in comics - has been going the way of 5YL for years now: More slow-paced, more building up to a "big picture", more suspense, more characterization. The audience seems to be there for these sophisticated stores today. And it certainly should be there in Legion fandom as well. So the question is not which continuity will be the final solution, but which writer will finally tell a fine, intelligent Legion story with a decent beginning and a satisfying ending again?

Yes, the Threeboot tried to do so - but in my eyes, Mark Waid failed for the first time in years, doing nothing of his Kingdom Come, Empire, Flash Magic, giving us slow-paced but pacing nowhere and hardly any characterization worth mentioning. Why doing a Threeboot when DnA had finally made the Reboot worth reading (and gotten rid of some of the unbearably characters like MONSTRESS)?

But I digress. My point being is, I think that there can be told wonderful Legion stories in every continuity, which DnA proved. The original universe that I would prefer is just one option. But these stories have to mean something, have to have an impact, have to have some grandeur. And whichever Legion story will return to these basics, I will be buying. But another Legion fighting Tangleweb or proclaiming "adults are jerks" will not be that smile
I agree with you, Chem. Whatever happens next with the Legion, we can't have any more re-origin or re-re-origin stories for a while or another reboot or deboot. We need to move Forward with some good stories and good characterization. Period.
Sorry, I kind of disagree.

It was raison d'etra for WaK's Legion which was a huge part of the problem, not just the slow telling. I think that still has to be addressed if this book is to catch on, with or without a "reboot" or a "Bobby Ewing/Universo."

I think the easiest path is for this "popular" version being shown in JSA/JLA to find it's way to the real book, just as a beginning, with as little homage shown to the first 31 issues as possible.
Simple as pie:

Classic Legion - Earth 1
Reboot Legion - Earth 2
Waidboot Legion - New Earth

That way everything is still in place and makes sence. Superman went to Earth 1 when he was a member of the Legion as teenager. Impulse/Kid Flash/Flash came back in time from the Earth 2 future. Kon-El Superboy went to the Earth 2 Legion when he was a member.

I think that pretty soon we are going to see a return to something very close to the classic Legion. The Waidboot just has not been recieved as well as DC thought it would when they put one of their bog names on the book. To keep it going they would probably have to make some radical changes, and if they are going to do that they might as well go back to something closer to the classic in my opinion. Then I think you will see a team up here and there between the different Legions, but with the Classic Earth 1 Legion as the lead team in the book.
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

It was raison d'etra for WaK's Legion which was a huge part of the problem, not just the slow telling. I think that still has to be addressed if this book is to catch on, with or without a "reboot" or a "Bobby Ewing/Universo."
Yes I know the slow pacing was not the problem. I agree on that - I very much like slow pacing if it is leading to a big, satisfying story ending. Waids story lead nowhere. That's the problem. Why doing a new reboot at all, another problem. Why were the characters looking like the old Legionnaires, but acting totally out of (old) character without any introduction (the story started right in the middle...) - another problem.

Until the Dominators appeared, there was hardly any part of the Threeboot which had NOT another problem. Maybe this development together with the omnipresent nostalgia is the main reason for good old Dreamy, Dawny and Stary (?) popping up all over JSA.

The JSA issues I liked a whole lot more that the current Legion book, by the way. Even though I never had read any JSA in the past, I liked the way it was written, even without the Legionnaires.
Originally posted by Zeroman:
Simple as pie:

Classic Legion - Earth 1
Reboot Legion - Earth 2

That way everything is still in place and makes sence. Superman went to Earth 1 when he was a member of the Legion as teenager. Impulse/Kid Flash/Flash came back in time from the Earth 2 future. Kon-El Superboy went to the Earth 2 Legion when he was a member.
It makes no sense to call the postboot "Earth-2" - remember, Computo got to the 31st Century by LIVING FROM the 20th Century Impiriex War (Our Worlds At War).

So did Martian Manhunter.

So did Scavenger.

R.J. Brande's holograms that helped convince the Legion to form were of Long-Hair (post-Death of) Superman, =w= Wonder Woman, Yellow-Oval Batman and Wally-Flash, and he had a tattered post-ZH Superman cape in his collection, amongst many other things.

Scavanger's collection included a Barry-Flash costume, Superboy's leather jacket and wallet.

Warworld was another Imperiex War legacy, which was guarded by a holographic Justice League, including Kyle-GL, Bearded Aquaman, Ray Palmer-Atom, Orion, etc...

Oh, and of course M'Onel/Valor is from the Earth-ZeroHour timeline, so after meeting Payton-Starman, co-headlining a major crossover with Eclipso, and being a L.E.G.I.O.N. member (and B5 was certainly THAT Dox's great-grandson - he even looked up the records from Dox's lead serum when working on Andromeda - and set his COlu back a thousand years awhile in the past with Team 20) Valor watched the JLofAmerica become the JLofEarth, that Billy Batson was Captain Marvel and lots of other stuff.

IT IS A NON-STARTER, unless what you mean isn't "classic Earth-2", but simply defining Earth-ZeroHour as Earth-2, with a Justice League, Young Justice, Titans, Cassandra Cain Batgirl, etc; rather than a solo-JSA. Which clearly isn't what you mean.
I think " 'boots" matter - at the moment - because (1) comic fans expect a continuity of consistency from issue to issue, year to year, and ideally from decade to decade, and (2) because it's an ongoing, contemporary franchise.

LSH is sometimes called a "knights of the round-table" of the far-future. In this context, if we look at the entire breadth of Arthurian lore, there is little to no consistency - one author's verson may resemble others slightly or not at all. It may be set in Medieval or post-Roman eras, somewherei n between, or in some cases contepmorary (Knights of Pengdragon, late 80s Twilight Zone, early 80s TV "Mister Merlin") of future (80s: Camelot 3000, Dr. Who Monthly #59) times.

Even within one "definitive continuity," that of Sir Thomas Malory, the author can not settle upon whether Morgause is Arthur's sister or aunt, who exactly is Lady of the Lake, how many siblings Gawaine has, or a number of other inconsistent details. Early stories of Percival, Tristan, Geraint, Gawaine and plenty of other knights contradict each other.

Yet all these versions combined contribute to a canon of works from which one can draw general themes of similarity. Each set of tales may lack internal consistency and definitely lack consistency with other works within the canon, but yet each connect with the spirit of Arthurian lore in their own way.

None contradict the "real" Arthurian lore becuase there was never a single one to begin with.

And since no LSH story follows Adventure 247 to a "T," and even the pre-Adv 300 issues contain contradictions (costumes, magnetic eyes, children of the original Legion carrying on the traditions, 21st vs 30th centuries, etc), I'm less worried about a single "true" continuity than following the theme and spirit of the LSH - AND getting good storytelling.
Originally posted by Zeroman:
Simple as pie:

Classic Legion - Earth 1
Reboot Legion - Earth 2
Not so simple.

Earth 1/2 have specific meanings in DC's prior continuities, and recycling them into this usage does not fit.

Pre-Crisis (-1985) classic Legion was Earth-1.
Post-Crisis Preboot and Reboot were divergent futures of the Postboot universe. JSA Classified suggests Threeboot could have been, also - to an extent.

I haven't read 52, so I don't know how the current multiverse works, but based upon Reboot's outline and other information, Threeboot is presumably the future of the "main" DCU, and the JSA/JLA Legion is presumably from an alt-universe, but the reverse theoreticalyl could be true.
[QUOTE]2. No, there's one thing we can all agree on: we all like the Legion. So we should be able to all get behind the idea of having all versions of the Legion available for anyone who likes them. I hope there's nobody here with the attitude of 'I like my favourite version of the Legion so much that I don't want any of the others ever to appear in comics again, no matter how many people like them.'

Anyway, whatever we want, it's not true that there's no way of asking for it. There is. Write a letter. No guarantees, but it allows you to convey more information than buying or not buying does.
If sales of the current book continue to dwindle, why should DC continue to publish one at all? Why publish one team to the exclusion of others?

I may be new to this here Legion fandom thingy, but I happen to enjoy all the Legion versions I've read so far. I may not agree with every single little intention those creators laid out, but I am not quick enough to judge that this attempt/version is utter garbage and I won't read another single Legion issue until so-and-so creator comes back and/or his version of the team comes back. That's shortcoming and short-changing yourself as a comic reader. I've seen worth and good material in every incarnation of the Legion so far. The different creators over the last 20 years have worked hard to expand and alter the Legion mythology to both good and bad degrees. But to wholly disregard and trounce such work and creativity because it doesn't fit 'what was' is crazy.

Thus to dismiss buying the current title (and whatever becomes of it) as 'meaningless' is meaningless to me. I support the Legion as an ideal while apparently some here support versions and specifics. Waid's work so far has had highlights as well as lows but I rather see that as a side-effect of his other writing assignments (weekly series anyone?) than anything intentional on his part.

DC seems to want to make the Legion BIG again in the DCU and I am glad for it. Dido said the same kind of things back when Johns was giving the GLC a swift kick in the butt and I don't see any reason why this should be any different. But why play favorites? Why wholly embrace the Levitz Legion to the exclusion of the others? Or vice-versa?

Perhaps what is needed is similar to the JLA Classified book or JSA Classified book. A Legion Classified/Confidental title that would showcase ALL the previous Legions in their own unique environments and stories.
you and Matthew make good points.

I for one would accept a good Legion of any era, as long as stories were good, and characters were self-consistent (and hopefully at least marginally consistent with prior portrayals), while true to the Legion theme.

I think the appeal of the Levitz Legion at present is (1) it represents the last time LSH was a top-selling, extremely popular book, (2) for many fans, it represents LSH at the top of its game, (3) any and all relaunch attempts since then have gone for the teen and/or Silver approaches, which haven't struck gold or become self-sustaining franchises, and (4) combining those two factors, why not give the Levitz era another try? Also (5) the Levitz era is one of the longest eras ignored of late: Silver fans had Superboy's Legion, plus elements in Reboto and Threeboot; only 70s Legion has been ignored longer.
As for the overall Legion mythology, it's simple and we all know it by heart: A thousand years from now, a colorful band of supers, formed by three teenagers inspired by one or more present-day heroes (preferably a member of the El family), grow up to form a legion and fight evil and injustice throughout the galaxy. Yadda, yadda, yadda. The form that "evil and injustice" takes -- whether its monsters and robots or an oppressive adult society -- does not substantially affect the essential mythology.
That sounds nice in principle, except

a) I don't think it's important that it take place a 1000 years from now (I'd be fine with them being 100 years, for example).

b) I don't think it's important that it's founded by three teenagers.

and

c) I don't think think the connection to the House of El, specifically to Kal-El, is merely something to be prefered; I think it's an essential part of the mythology.

As far as I'm concerned, the basic idea of the Legion is that they are "Superman's friends from the future". That's the essence of the team, and that's what was gutted by COIE.

The situation that the Legion is in is similar to taking Nightwing and suddenly saying that he'd never had an connection to Batman, or, that, at most, he was "inspired" by Batman. But, of course, someone might say that "He's still got black hair... he's still an acrobat... he's still a natural leader...", and all those things might be true, but you've kind of left out something that's important to what Nightwing is all about.

That isn't to say it might not be interesting to write an Elseworlds or some other alternate version in which Bruce Wayne doesn't take in Dick Grayson, and that in some sense such a story would be dealing with a variant of "the same mythology", but to publish such a version as the mainline continuity for Dick Grayson is just a horrible mistake. Nightwing is "Batman's sidekick grown-up". That may not be all he is, but to try to do the character without that aspect goes against the very idea of what Nightwing is supposed to be.

And that's the kind of thing that's been done with the Legion since Crisis.
recent stuff discussed here that I like:

Geoff Johns' "less rules, more good stories using beloved characters" thingie.

The notion of all versions of the LSH being valid in the form of parallel universes. This is obviously going to happen.

Chem's insinuation that the TMK era was ahead of its time. Agreed, and I say it's its own continuity, especially after # 4. I'll bet it's part of the many coming universes!

other stuff:

Those fearful that the WaK book's failure might mean the end of the LSH may have missed the successful launch of the LSH tooniverse, what with its announced second season, its announced DVD release, it's McHappy-Meal tie-ins and what-all.

If anything, expect whatever becomes the "current" Legion to strongly resemble the tooniverse LSH.
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Chem's insinuation that the TMK era was ahead of its time. Agreed, and I say it's its own continuity, especially after # 4. I'll bet it's part of the many coming universes!

Thanks for putting it into the right words - sometimes it's hard to find the proper catchphrase in a foreign language. Anyway, I always tend to forget the small reboot Giffen had to do in #4 back then... the Valorification of the LSH universe. Might be a good way to someday bring back the 5YL continuity - but at which point? After "Terra Mosaic"?
Sooo....

1. We still have no idea what's going to happen, right?

2. Re: Cancellation--The Warner Bros. parent company is really only interested in DC as a copyright/licensing mine. This does not lend itself to wholesale cancellation of titles. What exactly does DC have on the back burner to replace LSH? I'm much less worried about this than many of you seem to be. The very nature of the comic book business today is creating nostalgia for an aging fan base, which continues to be just about exactly what the Legion has been for most of the last 12 years.

3. Isn't it a bit funny that this is happening just as the Legion, because of the TV show, is as high-profile a property as it has been in over twenty years? How many TV shows does DC have on national television right now? How could Legion NOT be a priority?

4. All the arguing about eras, continuities, reboots, threeboots, etc. boils down to a few important facts for me...If I see any of the following:
--an older, balding, ponytailed Jo Nah mentoring younger Legionnaires
--a brightly clad, youthful group of heroes from the future fighting evil next to Superman when he was a boy
--Mon-El, Ultra Boy, and Timber Wolf taking Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, and Light Lass out on the town
--a souped-up Legion of Substitute Heroes led by ex-Senator Tenzil Kem fighting Dominators, Khunds, and a sense of the ridiculous
--Gates

I will weep happy tears.
© Legion World