S

click to enlarge

ADVENTURE COMICS #521
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Co-feature written by JEFF LEMIRE
Art by GERALDO BORGES & MARLO ALQUIZA
Co-feature art by MAHMUD ASRAR & JOHN DELL
Cover by SCOTT CLARK & DAVID BEATY
The rebuilding of the Green Lantern Corps in the 31st century starts here! Now set in “contemporary” Legion times, this issue tells an all-new tale starring the last survivors of the fabled Corps. Their next recruit will shock you!
In The Atom’s co-feature, the Colony continues its assault on Ray Palmer with more shrinkable suicide bombers!
On sale DECEMBER 1 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

click to enlarge
^ NOT the cover!

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #8
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art and cover by YILDIRAY CINAR & WAYNE FAUCHER
As votes come in from across the galaxy for the next Legion leader, Chameleon Boy enlists Yera in the hunt for their fellow shape-shifting Durlans, convinced that more are at work to destroy the United Planets.
On sale DECEMBER 22 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

click to enlarge

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ANNUAL #1
Written by PAUL LEVITZ & KEITH GIFFEN
Art and cover by KEITH GIFFEN & JOHN DELL
The legendary team of Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen reunite on the Legion for the first time in 20 years! And their next 31st century masterpiece introduces the all-new, all-deadly Emerald Empress! She’s ultra-twisted! She possesses entire planets! And she devastates the Legion so completely, one Legionnaire will never be the same!
On sale DECEMBER 29 • 56 pg, FC, $4.99 US

click to enlarge

DCU HOLIDAY SPECIAL 2010 #1
Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING, SETH ALBANO, TONY BEDARD, JOEY CAVALIERI, KEVIN GREVIOUX and DARA NARAGHI
Art by RENATO ARLEM, ROBERTO CASTRO, RICHARD & TANYA HORIE, CARLO SORIANO and more
Cover by MATT HALEY
From the dawn of time (Anthro) to the far-flung future (Legion of Super-Heroes), sentient life has honored the winter holidays with celebrations and rituals as diverse as the universe itself! Join DC Comics - and a stellar team of writers and artists - to honor the vast and diverse holidays of the DC Universe in
6 tales of holiday cheer! Starring the aforementioned characters along with Superman, The Spectre, Jonah Hex, and Green Lantern John Stewart for a HOLIDAY SPECIAL like no other!
On sale DECEMBER 8 * 56 pg, FC $4 .99 US

click to enlarge

R.E.B.E.L.S #23
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art by CLAUDE ST. AUBIN & SCOTT HANNA
Cover by FRANCIS PORTELA
In “To Be a R.E.B.E.L.,” part 3, Adam Strange plays peacemaker between Vril Dox’s band of rebellious space cops and the entire Green Lantern Corps – and negotiations aren’t going well at all. Let’s hope Lobo can stay on his best behavior . . .yeah, right!
Guest-starring Green Lantern John Stewart!
On sale DECEMBER 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Oh God, Borges...
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Oh God, Borges...
Is that good or bad?

' . . . all-new, all-deadly Emerald Empress!'
So, Sarya IS dead.
And what a costume!
Nothing sexy there and definitely mangaish with a generous hint of Kirby!
I loved Giffen's costume designs in the late Baxter/TMK era. So different and Middle Agey.
I daresay this Levitz/Giffen annual has me more excited for December than Christmas does...
Bad.

Borges illustrated most of Rise, and it's not just because the story was awful. I don't like his art.
On the Adventure cover, who is seated at the front, left?
Hmm... Vi and Ayla together on that Annual cover...
Originally posted by ultrajo:
On the Adventure cover, who is seated at the front, left?
Timber Wolf in a new costume? It looks more like his original costume than his current one.

Either that or Beast Boy.
Wow, that's a very Kirby-esque Emerald Empress.

Also, kinda blocky. In fact, 'she' looks more like Earth-Man in drag than a typical super-femme...
I suppose making comic books is not the most earth-friendly industry, so is DC trying to compensate with a glut of Green Lanterns and Emerald Empresses?

"DC Comics. The greenest publisher in the universe."
I love that look for the Empress, she really looks regal in an arrogant, nasty kind of way. It also looks like she owns the eye, and not the other way around. This look will be hell to draw consistently, but I'm sure Giffen knows what he's getting himself into....
I'm thinking EE's costume in the actual story will probably be a little more simplified than it is on the cover. Unless this comic's actually appearing in December '11 instead of December '10. tongue
Originally posted by Set:
Wow, that's a very Kirby-esque Emerald Empress.

Also, kinda blocky. In fact, 'she' looks more like Earth-Man in drag than a typical super-femme...
It looks like she's supposed to be the size of a giant and that she's being seen from below, and therefore in a distorted perspective.
The annual looks great, but I'm really looking forward to the Holiday Special. I've had a sentimental weakness for DC Christmas comics my whole life.
With my birthday being Christmas, it's hard for me not to love them.
click to enlarge

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ANNUAL #1
Written by PAUL LEVITZ & KEITH GIFFEN
Art and cover by KEITH GIFFEN & JOHN DELL
The legendary team of Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen reunite on the Legion for the first time in 20 years! And their next 31st century masterpiece introduces the all-new, all-deadly Emerald Empress! She’s ultra-twisted! She possesses entire planets! And she devastates the Legion so completely, one Legionnaire will never be the same!
On sale DECEMBER 29 • 56 pg, FC, $4.99 US
The cape/robe thingy probably isn't worn all of the time.
Under it is probably more revealing, probably another boob window.
sigh
And the Empress' face is the same size as Ayla's and Vi's so she's not really shown as a giant but you're right, I think the perspective is deceiving and the robe is HUGE, which helps.
That and the girls are at her feet.

It's a very commanding, old fashioned type of cover, Kirby again.
I wonder who will never be the same?
Maybe,Shady will be so impressed with EE's outfit that she'll never wear a bathing suit as her costume, again?
Nah.

I like the Holiday Specials, too.
And we get a DnA story!!!
She does look pretty big, even with the angle. Maybe it's Titania? That would be interesting. (I'm hoping for someone new though.)

I'm also hoping that this new EE is the one we've been seeing since Lo3W. I'd rather not have any retcon headaches so soon into this retroboot Legion run. (And the EE was never addresses as Sarya in any of her recent appearances was she?)
The no neck, head on a platter effect is part of the problem and helps with the 'giantess' look, I think.
Hmmm what about the Mighty Crusaders #6? they mentioned Durlans...so thought that it may be included in this?

Info:
"THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS #6
Written by ERIC TRAUTMANN & BRANDON JERWA
Art by JULIAN LOPEZ & JOHN LUCAS
Cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
In this final chapter, it’s all-out Durlan civil war with our heroes caught in between! There’s only one way out, but first the Crusaders will have to finally solve the mystery behind Project SWORD!
On sale DECEMBER 15 • 6 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US"
WHy the heck are Durlans appearing in Mighty Crusaders!?!?! And why does it bother me?!?!?!
I don't want another "New Empress". I had enough with the Cera Kid and the crazy killer in reboot.
I only want Sarya returns...maybe she never died in this new version.
I also enjoy the Kirby-esque look of this Giffen Empress ... boy, Keith changed his art style yet again hey? I have to see a bit more of it before I pass judgement but I think I might actually LIKE this new style.
I hope the annual features more of the Fatal Five than just the Empress. I bet it turns out to be a great first annual for this version of the Legion, I can just feel it!

The "cover" of Legion #8 is beautiful. It should be turned into a poster of some sort. Kudos to the artists for their fine work.

The Adventure cover has me also wondering who that guy in the bottom left is. Maybe it's T-Wolf, maybe not though ... it's so vague in that it's hard to make out any costume patterns.

The Tinya floatie on the Christmas special's cover is quite amusing, and a nod of respect for the Legion in general as well.
Oh God, Borges...
I'm sure his art can't possibly be worse than sharpe's, who not only is a bad penciler but also hasn't any storytelling sense.
click to enlarge

ADVENTURE COMICS #521
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art by GERALDO BORGES & MARLO ALQUIZA
Cover by SCOTT CLARK & DAVID BEATY
The rebuilding of the Green Lantern Corps in the 31st century starts here! Now set in “contemporary” Legion times, this issue tells an all-new tale starring the last survivors of the fabled Corps. Their next recruit will shock you!
I was thinking that Wolf was the one between Lar and Tinya and the one on the other side was Garth in his old costume, the one with the belt.
Their hair is very retro Adventure so I thought his costume might be, too.
You never know with new artists what they're going to choose to do.

There's an original Superboy on the cover with Wonder Woman, the new one, I think.
Is Superboy sightings/stories considered Legion related?

And I repeat, who do we think the new Lanturn is?
Are we still wanting Li?
Originally posted by Candle:
[QUOTE] And I repeat, who do we think the new Lanturn is?
Are we still wanting Li?
Gee, I sure hope that the new 31st century Green Lantern isn't Arm-Fall-Off Boy. It could be disastrous if the arm that his ring-hand was on fell off at a crucial moment in battle.
laugh
I was thinking that Wolf was the one between Lar and Tinya
No, it's Cosmic Boy. Look carefully, you can see circles on his chest.
Hm, Blok is in the non-cover of LSH # 8. I'm glad he's back. I wonder if the <strike>White</strike> Black Witch came back with him. I hope so, I really like Mysa.
The new Emerald Empress.. could that be Harmonia Li???
That Emerald Empress cover is amazing!!
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
It looks like she's supposed to be the size of a giant and that she's being seen from below, and therefore in a distorted perspective.
I think the head is supposed to be angled upwards. She's sticking her nose up in the air in typical royal snootiness.
I wonder if the rest of the LSH stories appearing in ADVENTURE will be 'current day'? Or will there be more set in the team's past?

We still don't know exactly when they'll lose the lead feature. I guess it's possible that they'll become the back-up.

The Giffen cover is beautiful. Emerald Empress vs. Lightning Lass and Shrinking Violet... I sure hope Sensor Girl appears as well.

Looks like Levitz is sticking to his 'everything in my previous run happened' stance.

I can't decide if I think that's admirably stubborn or selfishly defiant.

Another bit of news that's not in an official solicit yet-- apparenlty LEGION LOST will be collected next May. I'm not sure if it's hardback or trade paperback yet.

About the Durlans in THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS-- they've been the background antagonists since #1, though I believe (wouldn't swear to it) that this is the first time they've been called 'Durlans'.
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

Another bit of news that's not in an official solicit yet-- apparenlty LEGION LOST will be collected next May. I'm not sure if it's hardback or trade paperback yet.
Great news!!
Jeepers! Why would they be collecting that now?

Unless there's plans to do something with that version of the Legion...
Squeeeeeal!!!

Man this going to be the best Xmas (LSH-wise) in years!

I know there's been some negative reviews, but in my opinion, everything we've gotten so far since LSH #1 has been well worth the wait.
Oh, and by the way...who's to say that's not Sarya, or that having it be Sarya would be a retcon?

So, she crumbled to dust...doesn't mean she's dead...could have had her spirit live on in the eye, blah blah blah or maybe she comes back with the powers of Sandman (snark)

And "all-new" is a ubiquitously and over-applied adjective that could just mean the obvious fact that she's got a new costume and a kinky whip.
That is the best Legion cover I have seen in YEARS. Even if I had never heard of the Legion I would be inclined to pick up that annual just because the Emerald Empress looks so friggin AMAZING!

Brilliant brilliant job on her look!! She looks really regal and powerful, and it's a great use of Kirby influence! Can't wait for this annual!

(on another note, I am SQUEEEing about Vi and Ayla together in a story again too, and even just to see Vi at all - she's been kind of invisible in the run so far)
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

Aren't the writers and artist on that run very popular now? Maybe DC's just trying to cash in.

TBH, I'd be leery of spending money on Great Darkness again, good as it is. This is something I'd go out of my way to get hold of because I've never actually read the whole story before.
[b]I was thinking that Wolf was the one between Lar and Tinya
No, it's Cosmic Boy. Look carefully, you can see circles on his chest.[/b]
Yes, I see them.
I originally thought they were the wolf's eyes.
blehhh

Originally posted by lil'rhino:
[b]
Great news!![/b]

Proty YES!!! Proty
--
Proty Proty Proty Proty Proty Proty Proty

heh just testing.....love that dancing!!! laugh
You can have up to 8 in a posting!
Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:
[b] Oh God, Borges...
I'm sure his art can't possibly be worse than sharpe's, who not only is a bad penciler but also hasn't any storytelling sense. [/b]
He is definitely better than Kevin Sharpe.
[b]
[b]I was thinking that Wolf was the one between Lar and Tinya
No, it's Cosmic Boy. Look carefully, you can see circles on his chest.[/b]
Yes, I see them.
I originally thought they were the wolf's eyes.
blehhh

Originally posted by lil'rhino:
[b]
Great news!![/b]

Proty YES!!! Proty [/b]
Why Legion Lost if it's not even more revered than 5YL? Boooo.

Paul Levitz has stated in at least two interviews that he has no plans for any of the alternate Legions.

I suspect that the decision to publish now is a reflection that the collected editions editor 'gets' the Legion no more than Dan DiDio and doesn't understand the confusion this collection will cause with new Legion readers. A little bit worrying when the Collected Editions Editor Bob Harras is the new Editor-in-Chief at DC.
^ Why do all Legion Trade releases have to be subject to the whims of whether a new reader will 'get' it or not? And does that mean that in your opinion DC can never release a Legion Trade again since all previous continuities are a little but different to the current one?

Maybe DC just wanted to put a great story in the hands of as many new and old readers as possible.

And if one of those new readers decides they like the Trade enough to pick up the current book... well, it's not rocket science. There were two or three versions of the Legion running around when I got into the team during the SW6 era/beginning of the Reboot and I understood my way around pretty well.
I for one am happy to see the collection of Legion Lost put together in a TP. For years I have been collecting all of the TPs which focused on the Legion because I'm a completist and the LSH (all versions) is my hobby.
Plus I especially enjoyed the Legion Lost series, what with Shikari's intro and also the loss of three Legionnaires ... one of the best mini-series ever, in my opinion.
Originally posted by Blacula:
^ Why do all Legion Trade releases have to be subject to the whims of whether a new reader will 'get' it or not? And does that mean that in your opinion DC can never release a Legion Trade again since all previous continuities are a little but different to the current one?

Maybe DC just wanted to put a great story in the hands of as many new and old readers as possible.

And if one of those new readers decides they like the Trade enough to pick up the current book... well, it's not rocket science. There were two or three versions of the Legion running around when I got into the team during the SW6 era/beginning of the Reboot and I understood my way around pretty well.
Surely though now is the time to release more trades about the original Legion, especially the Levitz years and get readers interested in the current incarnation not a group that has been written out.
That's true S-A Lad ... what you say IS important as Paul is back writing the book again.
I also happen to think though that ANY version of the Legion told in a TP format (issues run in sequence) will only benefit the Legion popularity in general as it stimulates interest in the readership for 31st century heroes.
I think it's safe to say that each version of the Legion has stayed essentially the same, what with the founders and Brainy "unchanged" for the most part, most members staying the same, and Superboy/girl appearing later, etc. To a new reader the differences might seem superficial anyway.
And a great story is still a great story regardless!
I don't know whether this is related to this topic, but Geraldo Borges is indeed the new artist on Adventure Comics (it's not a fill-in) and has done a new cover for a Brazilian comic book magazine in here:

He's also providing some sketches and his Shadow Lass is simply gorgeous:

This is his fotolog page.
His work looks okay, to me.
Shady's lips are too thin, imo, though.

I love that there's going to be a TP for LOST.
It doesn't matter that Paul's not going to write about them as the New Wanderers.
Someone else can.
Or no follow-up is okay, too.
Sort of.

And I'd enjoy a 5YRL TP, as well.

And the total Baxter series.
Especially since I don't have them anymore.

I'd also love the Legionnaires in a TP.

I have all of the stories/series mentioned but I'd still like to see the collections.

I'd enjoy a collection of all of the stories that the Legion has appeared in that weren't their titled issues, too.
I love and used to have the Superman issue where Supes asks President Kennedy to fill in for him.
That's one example where the Legion appeared briefly.
There are others where they were front and center.

The only Legion TP's that I don't have and don't want, I have the originals, is the last Prime issues by Shooter.
Sorry.
Legion #8 cover pencils
[Linked Image]
From the cover, we can see that Violet has made it back from the events of the Annual, at least.
Actually this issue comes out before the annual.(even before the annual was delayed)
Beautiful pencils. Nice to see Tellus and Quislet there. Hope they make it into the actual story.
Don't forget Yera.
I'm not sure Levitz regards Yera a "true" Legionnaire but rather more of a supporting character, as she had become back when he was writing her in the 80's.
Still love Yera, still hate her re-design.

Supporting character or not, I really hope she survives the current story arc.
Originally posted by cleome:
Still love Yera, still hate her re-design.

Supporting character or not, I really hope she survives the current story arc.
Ditto. And I wish she'd go back to being bald.

I like her long ponytail, actually, but would rather see it on someone else. Maybe it's time Shady or Nura shook up their classic long-wavy-locked look a little bit? Or maybe one of the guys could grow his hair out, and actually do something with it, unlike Jo and Garth and Brainy, who seem to regard hair as some unwanted scalp infestation to be ignored and neglected.
© Legion World