Legion World
Posted By: Tromium Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 06/26/04 02:08 PM
Originally posted by BrucePristine at the DCMB.

http://www.dccomics.com/pdfs/dcuniverse/supbm14.pdf

Spoiler space

Superman and Batman abducted as children by the Adventure-era LSV?? Way cool.
If I remember the solicitation correctly some kind of time change takes place because of the Darkseid storyline. B&S rule Earth with an iron fist it said.

I wonder if the Legion will figure into this as a way to fix time?
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 06/26/04 04:07 PM
I'm gonna have to buy that now...
With the exception of the Robin/Superboy issue the series has been, IMO, consistently good.
The thing I like about this series is that it is more than just Superman and Batman on adventures. It's Superman and Batman guest-starring the whole DC Universe. despite some flaws, its been a fun one to read.
It's the comic equivalent of a summer popcorn movie. You just sit back and enjoy the spectacle and not worry so much about whether or not it makes sense.
this is a cool idea !!! can't wait to see how this story plays out !!!

and i too, have enjoyed this title so far !!! it one of my favourites each month !!!

and i can't wait to see more of CARLOS PACHECO's artwork !!! his MEKT looks great !!! very much like the early 80's GIFFEN version !!! with the lightining "effect" !!!

Matthew.
Posted By: Tromium Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 06/26/04 10:52 PM
Anyone else notice that this "Cosmic King" has magnetic powers, not transmutation?

Yeah, great lightning effect. Too bad we can't see if Mekt has a mustache. I love that smarmy mustache.
Posted By: Stu Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 06/27/04 01:09 AM
By the way, did Superman/Batman #11 come out already? I see it in the "This Week" selection of last week's comics, but I don't think my store got any (or else they didn't pull it for me).
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 06/27/04 01:16 AM
Is the Supergirl storyline over yet? If so what happened?
Posted By: Stu Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 06/27/04 01:19 AM
It was still going as of the end of #10. Not sure whether or not it concluded in #11, but probably not.
Originally posted by UTS:
It was still going as of the end of #10. Not sure whether or not it concluded in #11, but probably not.
It wasn't scheduled to end until #12 from what I remember. And it sure wasn't over with #10. As for #11, I haven't picked up my books so I don't know if it did get released this week.
Just checked. #11 is scheduled for July 7 and #12 for July 21. And #12 is listed as the penultimate chapter in the 6 part saga. So the Supergirl storyline ends with #13.
hair looks good!

LightningLord1
wait a pluberry-picking parsec!

babysitting! for at least fifteen years! i just know those other two will try to stick me with super-diaper duty. "oh, mekt, you have a younger brother and sister, you know how to do it!" forget it!

someone foil this plot!

LightningLord1
Wow!

CosmicKing SaturnQueen LightningLord
Originally posted by Mekt Ranzz:

[b]babysitting!
for at least fifteen years! i just know those other two will try to stick me with super-diaper duty. "oh, mekt, you have a younger brother and sister, you know how to do it!" forget it!

someone foil this plot! [/b]
Such small things can shape great events ... or, at least, cause great confusion:

"Cerebus doesn't like babies. They're noisy and they're messy and they stink ..."
"Indeed. Poor old Weisshaupt ... he was sure you'd converted to Kevillism. I must confess I couldn't make head or tail of it. Though I wasn't without a certain ... admiration. The mental exertions Weisshaupt and I might have spared ourselves ... had we but KNOWN!
'Babies. Stink.' "
"WELL THEY DO!!"
BTW, so much for that carefully-cultivated air of sophistication.

Originally posted by Mekt Ranzz:
Once a Winathian farmboy, always a Winathian farmboy. wink
one does not preclude the other, sentient. renaissance man of space and all that. that, however, does not mean i'm volunteering for super-poop patrol.

LightningLord1
Yeah, i've seen their appearance in this title.
I've recognize characters of the LSH, but i can't tell who they are exactly, what era, book(s), etc...

I'm excited to see what will happen and to know more about them!
I take it the stories in this series take place outside of "normal" DCU continuity?

Please say its so, otherwise I worry for the future of the future.
Posted By: Stu Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 06/29/04 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
I take it the stories in this series take place outside of "normal" DCU continuity?
As far as I can tell, the series takes place in normal DC continuity -- which has been a bit surprising recently, considering the fact that some major events have occurred in the title that affect the entire DCU (re: Luthor, etc.).

Of course, Hypertime or whatever passes for "alternate timeline" characters could still appear.
[b] I take it the stories in this series take place outside of "normal" DCU continuity?
As far as I can tell, the series takes place in normal DC continuity -- which has been a bit surprising recently, considering the fact that some major events have occurred in the title that affect the entire DCU (re: Luthor, etc.).

Of course, Hypertime or whatever passes for "alternate timeline" characters could still appear.[/b]
This all has something to do with the outcome of their battle with Darkseid. Perhaps it is tied into the Legion's battle with him? I'm thinking the Titans/Legion special may have affects for all of the DCU timeline, past, present and future.
Posted By: Tromium Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 06/29/04 01:10 PM
Well, it's not labeled an Elseworlds but I think we'll see a lot more Hypertime-themed stories in the future in an effort to wean readers off the idea of a single, true continuity. That, imo, is what the whole shakeup of the DCU is all about. Hypertimes are fun as a change of pace, like this one appears to be, but not as a regular diet. So hopefully it's just a nice, entertaining blip and has nothing to do with the "real" Superman/Batman or the new LSH, but these days you never know.
I've been thinking... I actually think it would be really cool to have the "Adult LSV" as regular villains in the 21st century for awhile. Just leave it ambiguous as to whether they're actually from the Legion's future or somewhere else.
From the Q&A with Jeph Loeb in Wizard #154:

Wizard: So it's safe to assume Superman and Batman aren't the good guys this time around?

Loeb: That's a safe assumption [Laughs]. I think what will surprise people is who the good guys are and what their actual mission is! We didn't make a bunch of villains good so that you'd think you're in some bizzaro world, that's not what's happening in this story.

Wizard: Are there larger villains behind the scenes pulling strings?

Loeb: What happened to the world didn't happen by accident. It's not a mystery who the villains are; you'll know at the end of the first issue and they're three characters that we know. We don't know them from Superman and Batman stories, but the idea was to bring them into their lives and to really give these two guys new foes that will hopefully be around for a long time as part of their rogues gallery. The mystery is how to fix the problem. I can tell you that at the end of every issue it gets worse.
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
[b]
[b] I take it the stories in this series take place outside of "normal" DCU continuity?

Of course, Hypertime or whatever passes for "alternate timeline" characters could still appear.[/b]
This all has something to do with the outcome of their battle with Darkseid. Perhaps it is tied into the Legion's battle with him? I'm thinking the Titans/Legion special may have affects for all of the DCU timeline, past, present and future. [/b]
so this is "real" as far as it goes. Until the heroes (who ever they are) turn up to put things back to what we know and love?

If thats the case then maybe these are not the LSV as we know them but are actually the Legion of the future and that was Garth, Imra and Cos (that would also explain the magnatism powers shown)

Only by "stealing" the kids can they hope to put things right?
Well then who are the three villains that Loeb is hoping will become part of the rogues gallery? I still think its the LSV but maybe they'll get help from the Legion.
How do we know the "re-imagined" Cosmic King doesn't have magnetic powers?
Besides, it seems improbable that the LSH founders would be shown killing the Kents...
Guess I'll have to wait for the TPB to come out, I missed this one!! frown
It comes out in September CB. Still plenty of time to reserve a copy from your local shop.
Guess I better write to my N.I.C.E. subscription folks and reserve a copy. What is the exact title going to be, do you know??

Thanks! laugh

ChameleonBoy
Yeah, its just the Superman/Batman series that is currently on-going. Issue #14.

But if you want the name of the story its "Absolute Power".
*cough* Alt tag on front page of this site - http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi *cough*

smile
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
*cough* Alt tag on front page of this site - http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi *cough*

smile
Where do you think I got my info? laugh
Sorry about being so naive, I just thought those were thumbnails attatched to larger covers, I didn't know they were links to threads.

Thanks for the info. smile

ChameleonBoy
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
YES! Post-Birthright versions of the ol' Legion of Supervillans making their debut in THIS here title as possible ongoing rouge set villans for both Supes and Bats it seems! Devil

AA
[Linked Image]
WOW! that's a WEAL sweet lookin alternate DCU depiction of Diana battlin Supes there on the cover! love

AA
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 07/14/04 06:19 PM
That looks more like an alternate reality Donna then Diana to me.
I'd guess it's an alternate reality Diana wearing the mystical fabric (or whatever it was) that Donna wore.
You'd think that me who also happens to be a HUGE Wondy fan would've made that suggested Donna connection with that there cover too, ah. (seriously never even crossed my mind Donna possibly being Wondy here)

AA
Looks like this has been pushed to November. frown

DC
Posted By: Tromium Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 07/29/04 11:25 PM
Oh, phooey!
Thanks, APB.

And yuck to the news!
Thanks, APB.

And yuck to the news!
No problem, Nightcralwer.

So much for counting on this to ease the two months of LSH absence.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 08/01/04 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Dev Em:
I'm gonna have to buy that now...
I think I'll just flip through the book to see if they show. I never read it prior to "The Supergirl from Krypton" and I haven't been impressed with what I've seen.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Superman/Batman #14, page 1.
[Linked Image]
Superman/Batman #14, page 2 & 3.
[Linked Image]
Superman/Batman #14, page 4.
[Linked Image]
Superman/Batman #14, page 5.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: brigort Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 08/25/04 10:12 PM
Oh man, now I've got to add this one to my pull list. Looks amazing.
So anyone want to venture a guess on how this might tie in with the re-boo-imagi-vention of the LSH? With this pushed to November or so, there is plenty of room to use this as a springboard for pushing the Superman/Batman crowd into the debut of the new Legion.
Am I the only one to buy this? So far it's pretty predictable. I am interested in how this all turns out. Here's the money shot, we've (okay I've) been waiting for:

P
R
E
P
A
R
E

T
O

B
E

S
P
O
I
L
E
D

[Linked Image]

I've been waiting a looonnnngggg time to see the LSV again.
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/17/04 10:13 PM
is it even out yet? even been to comic book store today...
It arrived in stores today!
Posted By: Reboot Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/17/04 10:28 PM
I wouldn't mind this LSV coming from the Waidverse, personally...

[NB: Not a compliment]
Posted By: Tromium Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/18/04 02:15 AM
Awww, Mekt's a daddy. He still dresses like a Christmas present but, dang, he's gotta be the hottest villain in the DCU, past, present or future. Eve looks tres chic in that fabulous cape-cum-tunic. I like that they retained Cosmic King's original transmutation powers but gave him a "preference" for metals and magnetism, but I must say sinister moustaches look better on Mekt.

Thanks, NC. Very cool.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/18/04 03:15 AM
Crap! Seeing those pages is more than I can resist! Now I'm going to have to at least buy S/B #14.
Quick Question: What happened to this "new" Supergirl? Was she ever explained? her origin, etc?

thanks

Jorge
Posted By: Yk Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/18/04 05:44 AM
I got to read this in b/w in Dallas and loved it. I simply must get to the shop and get a copy for my "Legion completist" collection. That's just an excuse though since I really did enjoy it. Now I get to see it in color too.
Sweet.
Posted By: Star Boy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/18/04 05:49 AM
Oooooooh! Can't wait!!!
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/18/04 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Jorg-El:
Quick Question: What happened to this "new" Supergirl? Was she ever explained? her origin, etc?
She's Superman's cousin from Krypton. Her origin pretty much parallels that of pre-Crisis Supergirl except that Batman didn't trust her when she arrived and Wonder Woman kidnaped her.
Posted By: taichara Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/18/04 05:30 PM
Jya.

Originally posted by Tromium:
I like that they retained Cosmic King's original transmutation powers but gave him a "preference" for metals and magnetism, but I must say sinister moustaches look better on Mekt.

I can live with the facial fuzziness on Cosmic King;
but I was struck more by his resemblance to the v4 Rokk Krinn, just before Zero Hour took everything over.

Just a wierd thought ...

Tai

[Linked Image]

I've been waiting a looonnnngggg time to see the LSV again.
Me too Nighty, and when they look this good I wish we could see more of them.

Eve looks so cool, haughty and imperious.

Mekt is OK but I'm not sure about the green cod piece.

but can anyone tell me why Loser is in that picture, is he moonlighting as Cosmic King lol

I love Bolto's updated costume. I almost wish they had used this design for Cosmic BOY instead.
Posted By: M'onel Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/18/04 07:54 PM
Somehow Saturn Queen reminds me of Linda Hamilton.
i got this issue today !!!

it was a nice set up, behind why S&B have "Absolute Power" !!!

and it was great to see the 3 original "LSV" members !!! i just wanna know how this ties into the new version of the LEGION ???

i'm gonna go re-read the feature in "WIZARD" [ a couple of months back ] on this current story ....

Matthew.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/19/04 02:24 AM
I heard someone else wonder if there were any relationship between "Absolute Power" and the new LSH. If nothing else, I'd like to see this new LSV appear in the Legion.
Posted By: Stu Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/19/04 03:40 AM
Bruce and Clark have two daddies! laugh
Posted By: Stu Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/19/04 03:42 AM
Oddly enough... when I saw the black and white preview in Texas two weeks ago, I don't recall seeing Cosmic King with a goatee.

I wonder if they added it at the last minute for some reason?
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/19/04 04:03 AM
Originally posted by STU:
Bruce and Clark have two daddies! laugh
I noticed that. I guess Mekt is out of the closet it this version, too. smile
Posted By: Yk Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/19/04 04:16 AM
I wonder if they could be part of the "Waidverse" too. I don't see why they couldn't be, they are a bit different than the LSV we knew and why not have them turn out to be "anachronists" too?
I like it that the future is no longer considered absolute and potentially a myriad of futures exist in the realm of Might Be.
I'm loving it so foar, but did anyone notice the continuity mistake regardin Aquaman's origin? His dad is Atlan, not Arthur Curry, Sr.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/19/04 10:29 AM
Oh, Loeb's made that mistake Every. Frelling. Time. he's used or mentioned Aquaman. He's a dedicated Pre-Crisionist.
It was also odd that they killed Hal Jordan to prevent the existence of Green Lantern. When Abin Sur crashed, the ring would've gone to Guy Gardner (or *someone*) instead of Jordan. Why wouldn't they have gotten rid of Wonder Woman as well?
Posted By: Yk Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/19/04 11:35 PM
I questioned that too. It would have been smart of them to find a way to negate Thymescria sending a rep to the rest of the world...and I hadn't thought about Green lantern, to de-power Jordan they simply needed to prevent Abin Sur from crashing to Earth.
but can anyone tell me why Loser is in that picture, is he moonlighting as Cosmic King lol
What can I say. I was young, I needed the money... lol
it was pretty good. unfortunately we got to see the pre-JLA eliminated the same way in that Planetary Elseworlds special where WW, Bats, and Supes form Planetary. other than that i've been jonesin' for the original LSV for a looong time now. wasn't expecting uncle sam!
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
it was pretty good. unfortunately we got to see the pre-JLA eliminated the same way in that Planetary Elseworlds special where WW, Bats, and Supes form Planetary.
It reminded me of that "Challenge of the Superfriends" show where the Legion of Doom prevented the heroes' origins from happening.

To get rid of Wonder Woman, I think they made her lose that contest to see who would be their emisary.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/20/04 05:10 PM
Wouldn't that just mean some other Amazon would become Wonder Woman? Of course, no other Amazon matches Diana, so perhaps they made short work of her. (Remember, what was her name, Oreana? She was a pre-Crisis red-head who replaced Diana and died within one or two issues.)
Posted By: Yk Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/20/04 05:47 PM
I just hope the LSV has more on panel time in the next issue. Clark seems to be questioning things already and by the looks of things Diana and Sam are going to form some new version of the JLA to whoop-up on the big two.
I hope that there's some connection made to the LSV's own hometime before the story arc runs it's course.

Hey Steve!! Has there been any discussion with you and Mark about the way this story has to go or are they just going in their own direction? We're really curious whether this incarnation of the LSV is going to exist later on or if this is a one-shot appearence.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/20/04 06:07 PM
Originally posted by ferroboy:
Wouldn't that just mean some other Amazon would become Wonder Woman? Of course, no other Amazon matches Diana, so perhaps they made short work of her. (Remember, what was her name, Oreana? She was a pre-Crisis red-head who replaced Diana and died within one or two issues.)
Well, post-Crisis, Artremis did better than that.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/20/04 06:42 PM
She's still alive. Or alive again, at least. I figured Artemis was the rebooted version of Oreana but with a name change to reflect her status as Wonder Woman (Diana = Artemis on Olympus).
So is there a Kara Zor-El or not? Or is it still unresolved?
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
So is there a Kara Zor-El or not? Or is it still unresolved?
There is and she's wearing an "S" shield and calling herself Supergirl. The story ended with her "coming out" in costume being introduced to the rest of the heroes. Where DC will take her from here is anyone's guess...

(my guess is that she'll rise to prominence in this upcoming big event/crisis that DC is planning - kindof a counterpoint to the original Kara dying in "Crisis")
So how do they explain the new Supergirl in light of the old Supergirl dying in Crisis? Sorry, but my comics budget cannot afford another monthly...
They don't. Supposedly (Continuity-wise), this is the first time Kara Zor-El comes to Earth.
Click the top two to read the text and see the images better -
click to enlarge click to enlarge
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pov Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/23/04 04:53 PM
And for THAT, we waited three+ months for the Pacheco arc.

click to enlarge
It takes a long time to not draw backgrounds and emotionless faces, Pov!
Posted By: Blacula Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/23/04 09:59 PM
As much as I've loved the Superman/Batman comic so far (and that's coming from someone who doesn't even really like Superman OR Batman!) I gotta say that the final issue of that Supergirl arc was the most vomit-inducing kack I've read all year! What a disappointment! And the arc had started out so well too!

At least we're back on track with the latest issue by Pacheco! Loved it!
Posted By: Stu Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/23/04 10:03 PM
They don't. Supposedly (Continuity-wise), this is the first time Kara Zor-El comes to Earth.
She's from the same place the new Doom Patrol comes from.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/23/04 10:33 PM
Someone should really have dropped a "send them to another dimension" bomb on that scene. It'd have taken out all the prominent superheroes in one fell swoop.
Posted By: Yk Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/23/04 11:12 PM
You know, I meant to buy this story arc after reading about it in another thread but after seeing that scene I'm glad they were sold out of those issues. I'll just spend that cash on a Liberty Meadows book and a couple of issues of Exiles or something.
Oh my gosh, that is one hideous Supergirl. What happened to her torso?!
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/24/04 03:46 AM
So how do they explain the new Supergirl in light of the old Supergirl dying in Crisis? Sorry, but my comics budget cannot afford another monthly...
Supergirl died during the Crisis. Afterward, she "never existed". This is the first since since Crisis that we ave a Kara Zor-El Supergirl. (Well, if you don't count the pre-Crisis Supergirl showing up briefly.)
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/24/04 03:49 AM
[b]They don't. Supposedly (Continuity-wise), this is the first time Kara Zor-El comes to Earth.
She's from the same place the new Doom Patrol comes from. [/b]
I wouldn't think so. We've had a [better] DP around since Crisis. That all their post-Crisis adventures have vanished without cause makes no sensse. We've never had a post-Crisis Kara Zor-El.
Posted By: Yk Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/24/04 06:08 AM
She needs to join the Legion for a 6 issue story arc so I can get a Supergirl/Legion TPB drawn by Barry Kitsonfor next Christmas.
Supergirl

edit: heh heh- 100th post in the thread! I finally snatched a milestone.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/24/04 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
edit: heh heh- 100th post in the thread! I finally snatched a milestone.
Actually, it's the 100th reply - the 101st post tongue
Posted By: EuroMutt Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/24/04 07:06 PM
Man, I don't like The Superman/Batman book. I only picked up the latest issue for two reasons - Pacheco art and the Legion of Super-Villains. I'm glad I didn't get it for the writing, which is a shame 'cause I used to love Loeb's work.

And as for the "new" Supergirl, I would be more ok with her if the story hadn't been horribly written (couldn't Loeb have at least tried to respect Kirby a little by having his creations act like the characters they are?), art that was even worse (it's painfully obvious that Turner is beyond out of touch with human anatomy), it was late by tremendous extremes, and Kara dind't have a costume that made her look like a sluttier version of Paris Hilton (if that's even possible). Maybe it'll look better when someone esle renders it, but I doubt it.

whew, sorry for the rant. It just slipped out. I couldn't control it. really.
Posted By: Pov Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/24/04 07:48 PM
With all the bashing I've done on the Supergirl arc for Turner's "art" and unprofessionalism, I should've taken a pound out of Loeb also. The conclusion was such bad writing, I can't describe it. "We hid Kara from Darkseid!" confused

DARKSEID?!?!?!? confused

I loved Loeb's run on CABLE, so it's not that I don't think he can write, but c'mon! Even if the books had been on time, that blows chunks! shake
Originally posted by EuroMutt:
whew, sorry for the rant. It just slipped out. I couldn't control it. really.
Oh, please, you could've if you really tried. laugh
Posted By: Stu Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/24/04 11:42 PM
Am I missing a page in my copy of #14?

In one panel, Wonder Woman is deflecting bullets using her bracelets... on the next page, she's in a subway station, and there's no indication of what happened in between. confused
Posted By: Yk Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/25/04 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Reboot:
Actually, it's the 100th reply - the 101st post tongue
Even better, a numerical palandrome, double duty.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/25/04 01:25 AM

In one panel, Wonder Woman is deflecting bullets using her bracelets... on the next page, she's in a subway station, and there's no indication of what happened in between. confused
I'm guessing that what she did to her attackers wasn't acceptable in an all-ages book - so they just skipped ahead to her getting to the bottom of the steps.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/30/04 03:24 PM
Read this last night, my first-ever issue of SUPERMAN/BATMAN!

I really enjoyed it!

I really like that the LSV is being used with no apparent regard for continuity, YAY! Things like this are a step in the right direction, and even if this is an "imaginary tale", that's another step in the right direction.

How could the LSV have been so stupid as to not eliminate WONDER WOMAN? Hello! And I just about fell off the couch in a fit of glee when the one and only UNCLE SAM appeared on the final page! **LOVE** the Freedom Fighters!

I am SO onboard for this arc!
I guess I never realized that Kara never existed post Crisis, even as a memory. Talk about a meaningless death.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/30/04 04:44 PM
I guess I never realized that Kara never existed post Crisis, even as a memory.
See Supergirl #75-80.
A very enjoyable issue IMO, and am eagerly awaiting the second.

I really hope that the LSV sticks around as a Rogues gallery for Clark and Bruce. Anything to avoid seeing them fight Luthor or the Joker again.

Like Scott, I highly reccomend Superman/Batman to everyone. It's not the tighest continuity and the Citizen Kane of comics, but its very entertaining and has lots of great guest-stars.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/30/04 07:07 PM
I totally echo Cobalt Kid... echo... echo... wink

Superman/Batman has been a *GREAT* comic so far IMO. (With the exception of the kacksville conclusion to the Supergirl arc).

When I first heard about it I was furious because I knew its launch was in place of the return of one of my favourite ever comic series - Brave and Bold! I had been so looking forward to another comic that showcased the little-seen characters of the DCU and then to hear we were getting a book starring Superman and Batman instead!?! Ugh!

But this series has totally defied my expectations. There have been guest stars galore -

Power Girl
Katana
Captain Atom
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
Black Lightning
Hawkman
Captain Marvel
Big Barda
Harbinger
Green Arrow
Uncle Sam
Wonder Woman

- not to mention the entire Superman and Batman families or all the cool and varied villains!

The writing has been fun and extremely fast-paced too, each issue jam-packed full of action and drama, but best of all - things actually *happen* in this comic. It really feels like the future of the DCU is being written in this series. Lex Luthor as manipulative businessman instead of evil scientist - gone as of Superman/Batman #6. No Kara Zor-El in the DCU - she's back as of Superman/Batman #13.

If people are looking for a comic to entertain them then they need look no furhter than this series. Its easily one of my highlights of 2004... and I don't even like Superman or Batman!
Posted By: Yk Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 11/30/04 07:51 PM
I was talking to my comic shop guy last week and he looked it up for me while we were chatting and IIRC he said the second part of this will be shipping this week.
Be sure to look for it in the shops!
Gary, where did you get the cover for #18? I just checked the DC site and they don't have one available.
Blacula, you're totally right about this book being intrical to the DCU in general. Probably more than any other DC Comic, the things that happen here have far-reaching effects with the rest of the DCU. Also, much like how all of Geoff John’s books ties in together, Superman/Batman easily ties into all of John’s, Winnicks, Ruckas, Superman, Batman and a whole bunch of other comic book lines. It’s probably the most central comic of the DCU.

This might not mean a lot to some, but I really like that about it. I also really like that Loeb is without fear when it comes to bringing in Silver Age DC concepts with a twist. He is definitely trying to make them more modern, but without the stigma I’ve come to associate with the phrase ‘more modern’ after the last ten years, as he really tries to be true to the characters, while at the same time pleasing all eras of fans and telling a good story.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 12/01/04 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
This might not mean a lot to some, but I really like that about it. I also really like that Loeb is without fear when it comes to bringing in Silver Age DC concepts with a twist. He is definitely trying to make them more modern, but without the stigma I’ve come to associate with the phrase ‘more modern’ after the last ten years, as he really tries to be true to the characters, while at the same time pleasing all eras of fans and telling a good story.
Fridge-Luthor "pleased all fans"? Not from what I saw...
Well, I meant it seems like he *tries* to please all fans. We both know that's impossible, and that most writers don't even bother trying. But I think he genuinely tries to.

The Luthor thing doesn't bother me right now, b/c personnally, I wouldn't mind seeing Luthor and Joker killed in an obscure issue of JLA: Elite or Aquaman at this point...
Posted By: Reboot Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 12/01/04 04:34 PM
IMO where Loeb's concerned, he seems to be writing for fans of the Pre-Crisis DCU (especially the Silver Age) and no-one else.

Luthor needed to end his term with an impeachment (given that they can't age their characters four years) but having him inject himself with Kryptonite (which KILLED him once before - and that was just the ring, not intraveneously) and Venom (which drives the user insane - AND HE KNOWS IT) before sticking on a green <strike>fridge</strike> armour was plain asinine.
But did you like my idea of Luthor being killed in an issue of Aquaman? Maybe it'll make the current Aquaman series interesting?

...nah, that wouldn't do it either... tongue

THe bullets deflected back at the shooters, killing htem both... or at least seriously injuring them. The immediate threat dismissed, she continued on her way.
Originally posted by MLLASH:
And I just about fell off the couch in a fit of glee when the one and only UNCLE SAM appeared on the final page! **LOVE** the Freedom Fighters!
It would be tres cool if Sam & WW were to engineer the creation of the FF in this would as a counter to the elimination of the JLA. However, I have to assume that if too many more heroes were to be showing up we would have seen them on the solicitation cover images.
Posted By: M'onel Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 12/01/04 09:23 PM
Did anyone get S/B #15 yet? Cool Legion appearences by...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

The 70's Legion of Superheroes lineup and costumes of Wilfire, Dawnstar, Colossal Boy, Shrinking Violet (the only Legionnaire with a speaking part), Timeber Wolf, Karate Kid, Princess Projectra, Tyroc and Shadow Lass.

If you look closely you can see Bouncing Boy, Element Lad and Ultra Boy.
Gary, where did you get the cover for #18? I just checked the DC site and they don't have one available.
Previews. I scanned it in.
Thanks M'Onel. I'm scanning them in now.
Posted By: Arachne Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 12/01/04 09:49 PM
Originally posted by M'onel:
Did anyone get S/B #15 yet? Cool Legion appearences by...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

The 70's Legion of Superheroes lineup and costumes of Wilfire, Dawnstar, Colossal Boy, Shrinking Violet (the only Legionnaire with a speaking part), Timeber Wolf, Karate Kid, Princess Projectra, Tyroc and Shadow Lass.

If you look closely you can see Bouncing Boy, Element Lad and Ultra Boy.
Vi and T-wolf!? I hope they're not sold out...
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
It would be tres cool if Sam & WW were to engineer the creation of the FF in this would as a counter to the elimination of the JLA. However, I have to assume that if too many more heroes were to be showing up we would have seen them on the solicitation cover images.
Not so. Lookee here - SUPERMAN/BATMAN #15 - BEWARE SPOILERS galore!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 12/01/04 10:18 PM
Looks like they've wanted to keep some secrets for this arc! WELL DONE, say I!
Posted By: Tromium Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 12/02/04 12:38 AM
[b]Gary, where did you get the cover for #18? I just checked the DC site and they don't have one available.
Previews. I scanned it in. [/b]
Looks like Supes fighting the LSV. Any chance of seeing a larger version?
Now I'm salvating at the mouth for this issue...
I suppose there are worse places you could be salivating from...

*shudder*
Originally posted by Tromium:
Looks like Supes fighting the LSV. Any chance of seeing a larger version?
Oopsie! I missed this request. Sorry.

[Linked Image]
Does anyone know when #17 will be released? I can't find the new release date anywhere or why it's being delayed.
Posted By: The Mess Re: Superman/Batman #14 surprise (spoilers) - 02/02/05 02:52 AM
I heard somewhere that the ending originally planned for the Supergirl arc had her being EVIL, a trick by Darkseid, and then killed, but she became too popular, so they had to rewrite the ending at the last minute so that she could be kept in the DCU as a hero in her own series.

So, it may not be Loeb's fault if the ending was sub-par.
I was the one who said it to him and I have to say its pretty obvious too. The dialogue, the art, the fact she suffered memory loss. All of it was pointing to her being a creation of Darkseid.

The fact it changed so dramatically is fairly common knowledge around the boards I frequent.
© Legion World