Legion World
Posted By: Fat Cramer Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/19/07 11:55 AM
Over at newsarama, there's an interview with Paul Levitz, and the thing that really caught my attention was two instances where he chuckles. It's such a Silver Age classic that I wonder if they put that it on purpose, instead of something like laugh - or nothing at all.

So what is a chuckle. A "tee-hee"? "Hah hah"? Less guttural than a snort?
Posted By: Suddenly Seymour Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/19/07 03:35 PM
I'd say it's more of a low-key, brief "huh-huh-huh" -- usually occurring with a fond smile while sitting down and frequently with arms crossed.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/19/07 06:00 PM
Hmmm... I always thought that a chuckle had something to do with Chuck Taine, so I assumed that any time I eat so much that I need to loosen my belt, I'm "Chuckling" smile
Posted By: Set Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/19/07 06:45 PM
I always thought of Scooby-Doo's laugh as a 'chuckle.'
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/19/07 07:05 PM
AH-huh-huh
or
HEH-huh.

a short, staccato laugh.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/19/07 07:43 PM
chuckle
Posted By: minesurfer Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/19/07 07:55 PM
I don't know how one chuckles... but I do know that I've been chuckling pretty good since reading this .

I'm betting it will make you chuckle too... thus showing you how one "chuckles". It's a long read (three or so pages) but well worth it as it offers several different types of "chuckle" giving you an opportunity to study them all.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/20/07 12:04 AM
Chuckles is a devious name for villains that like to have fun but are also named Charles. Like Abin.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/20/07 11:50 AM
Look - it's spreading.

"But, this being Washington, conspiracy theories and political wisecracks were rampant in its aftermath. When Mr. Bush visited wounded soldiers at the Bethesda Naval Medical Center in the afternoon, a reporter asked just how Mr. Cheney managed to be in the president’s office at the time of the fire.

Mr. Bush just chuckled."

from the New York Times - all the news that's fit to chuckle over
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/20/07 03:49 PM
Well, if Bush is doing it... wink
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Just how does one "chuckle"? - 12/21/07 07:36 PM
Supervillains shouldn't chuckle.

Newsarama interview with Didio: no chuckles.
© Legion World