Legion World
Posted By: Barry Kitson From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 06:15 AM
Hi all - in another thread there's been mention of an initial sketch I did for one of the preview pages that included a lot of smiling legionnaires - I thought perhaps those of you who haven't seen it might like a look smile

It's followed by what was the final inked version of the page so you can see how many changes take place between one of my sketched pages and the finished version.

The Boy with Ultra Powers has posted yet another early verion of the page on another thread which you might like to compare to both! laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope you like them!
Posted By: Myriad Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 06:31 AM
Who inks your work, Barry?
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 06:31 AM
Simply beautiful! I personally like my Legionnaires smiling. smile

That background makes my head spin. The amount of detail puts Perez to shame. Wonderful job, Barry!
Posted By: Frog King Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 07:00 AM
I love it! It's beautiful!

Can I ask you what tools were used for the inking(pens, pencils...)? Was the background drawn separatly?
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 07:38 AM
Thanks for sharing Barry! Your participation here is heads and shoulders above what I would've expected from someone who has to churn out 40 pages a month! Jo looks great in the "grinning" page (I'm surprised Matt didn't buy that one) and I'll echo Nightcrawler's amazement at the background. Having to draw something like that would drive me nuts.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 08:18 AM
Who decides whether they're to be grinning or serious in the final version?

Couldn't decide which one I prefer, they're both beautiful, but with quite different moods.
Posted By: Barry Kitson Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 09:22 AM
Hi Guys - Thanks very much!

Hi Myriad - I inked this myself.

Hi Frog Kid - I did draw the background separately, because I knew from the start I was going to want to tinker with the figure placements...and I couldn't face drawing that cityscape more than once! smile
The figures are inked virtually entirely with a kolinsky sable brush and Doc Martin india ink. The background with technical pencils and dip pens. Various sizes, but mostly o.25.

Hi Fat Cramer - The decision about the grins was really a joint one - we wanted to send out the message that this Legion isn't all fun and games, but serious and dangerous too. I also liked that the serious faces contrast and complemented Lyle's joy at being part of the group.
Posted By: Myriad Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 09:31 AM
So you're drawing 40 pages per issue, inking 40 pages per issue, traveling for cons, AND interacting with us fans at Legion World???

The Legion property is in good hands, sir.

Barry Kitson space-rawks! laugh
Posted By: Barry Kitson Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 12:03 PM
Hi Myriad - I can't take quite that much credit though - There are 30 pages of story per issue - I'll be drawing them all and inking as many as I can - though we do have an amazing superstar inker or two in line to help out - and believe me, they can ink me as well, if not better, than I can! I'm not sure if I can spill the beans on the details yet though...but you won't be disappointed! Trust me I wouldn't let anyone touch this job if I didn't think they were up to it! smile
The other ten pages will be ads and editorial - we've been pushing to reinstate a letters section, but there's no definite decision on that yet...as sson as there is I'll be happy to let you know!
Thanks again!
Posted By: Pov Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 12:13 PM
Well, if we write letters, that'd probably help the cause, huh? smile

P.S.-- I prefer the sketched Sun BOy to the final... wink
Posted By: Myriad Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Pov:
P.S.-- I prefer the sketched Sun BOy to the final... wink
I agree. I can get over Dirk going blonde instead of redheaded but I didn't like his inked hairstyle as compared to the sketched one.

Oh, well. Send him to the Super Hairdresser... of Space!
Posted By: Blacula Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 12:41 PM
I prefer the sketched Sun Boy to the final...
Me too. But overall I'm glad you went with the non-smiley version Barry. It fits the overall mood of the story much better IMO and really gives the impression that this team means business. I also think it would've felt too 'Archie-Legion' all over again if they'd been smiling.

Thanks for the images!
Posted By: Blacula Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 12:49 PM
Speaking of Sun Boy - I don't know if its been mentioned anywhere else, but I was wondering why the hair colour change was made Barry?

Was it simply a case that you liked him better as a blonde or is there a deeper reason for it? Maybe to differentiate him from Garth a bit more? ... Or is it just a colouring error? wink
Posted By: Loser Lad Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 12:52 PM
Barry, do you always pencil that tight when you're inking yourself, or was that first drawing not intended to be a finished page? That's awful detailed pencil work for something you weren't planning to hand off to another to ink.

I've got to say I think I prefer the way a few of the Legionnaires look in the pencilled sketch. Saturn Girl leaps to mind. I was worried about her costume from what we saw in the preview, but after seeing the pencils I've got to say I like her new design. Of course her more prominent position in the first piece probably has a lot to do with that. I think I like Shady better in the pencils as well, but I think the shoulder pads are a little too large. Shoulder pads are *so* 2988. laugh

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the pics Barry! I hope you'll be able to share some other preview sketches with us soon. December is way too far off...
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 01:06 PM
Wow!I love all this behind the scenes stuff....
Posted By: Tromium Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 01:19 PM
Barry, I just love the grinning Legion. I mean, when was the last time we saw a smiling Element Lad? I appreciate the reasoning behind your decision to wipe the grins off their faces, but I've had my fill of anxious frowns and knitted brows. As much as I liked the DnA run, their stories were so unrelentingly "serious and dangerous" it became downright depressing at times. Hopefully, the new series will have its share of smiles and laughter, too. More than anything, I want the Legion to be fun again.

Anyway, I'm glad you switched Phantom Girl and Saturn Girl so we got a better look at Tinya's nifty new/old costume.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 01:23 PM
Barry this is the kind of stuff, if you can't already tell, that we all dig on.

I really love the initial pencils on all of the characters except for Garth. I feel the inked version is much better. Maybe its because I feel Lightning Lad would be grinning like that, I'm not sure. But either way, outstanding!
Posted By: Barry Kitson Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 01:25 PM
I think maybe Sun Boy in the inked page was just 'one of those drawings' I think I prefer his look in every other panel I've drawn him in too!

I think you can put his change in hair color - and his costume colors down to the same teething problems that turned Tasmia gray. smile
I should have caught these things prior to printing, but I think I was just so carried away with the pages for #1 that I was working on at the time the proof were sent out that I missed a few things - I'll try not to let it happen again.

The sketch is just the way I draw - my sketches are either so loose only I can tell what they are or about as tight as these...they are even tighter for someone else to ink though!
I even get to the stage of fully inking panels and then redrawing and inking them sometimes - as Darden and Matthew can attest. My 'methods' do drive some editors to distraction laugh

As far as the letter column goes - you have a definite point Pov! smile
Posted By: Barry Kitson Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Tromium:
Hopefully, the new series will have its share of smiles and laughter, too. More than anything, I want the Legion to be fun again.

[/QB]
Hi Tromium - that mixture is exactly what we're aiming for. We want there to be all shades of life reflected in the book - #1 will give you a very good idea of what to expect.
Posted By: Loser Lad Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
The sketch is just the way I draw - my sketches are either so loose only I can tell what they are or about as tight as these...they are even tighter for someone else to ink though!
I even get to the stage of fully inking panels and then redrawing and inking them sometimes - as Darden and Matthew can attest.
Yeesh. And you're able to keep up a 30-page-per-month schedule like that? That's got to be tough! Good luck staying on top of it!

So, how long does a typical page usually take you to complete if you're inking yourself?

My 'methods' do drive some editors to distraction laugh
I'll bet! smile
Posted By: Barry Kitson Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Loser Lad:
Yeesh. And you're able to keep up a 30-page-per-month schedule like that? That's got to be tough! Good luck staying on top of it!

So, how long does a typical page usually take you to complete if you're inking yourself?

[/QB]
I generally work a 12 to 13 hour day (if you can call it work - it's a real pleasure to be honest)
and can draw between a page and a page and a half a day....depending on the amount of detail characters etc. LSH is proving to be EXTREMELY labor intensive so I think realistically we'll need an inker to keep up the schedule - but making sure the quality is maintained is the main thing. I don't want to skimp on anything in this book!

I keep asking Mark for the solo story on a desert planet...but no response so far! smile
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 03:32 PM
Spotlight on Shadow Lass!
Posted By: Pov Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 03:37 PM
Spotlight? But then you could see her... confused wink

Use a blacklight instead! lol

Legion of Super Heroes: The Black Issue...
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 03:40 PM
LSH is proving to be EXTREMELY labor intensive so I think realistically we'll need an inker to keep up the schedule - but making sure the quality is maintained is the main thing. I don't want to skimp on anything in this book!
That was my only complaint with your run on Titans. I typically love your work, but I don't think the inker on Titans did your work justice. It just didn't seem like a good fit to me. A good inker should complement a penciller's work, not overshadow it.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 03:41 PM
[b]Legion of Super Heroes: The Black Issue... [/b]
That should help keep Barry way ahead of schedule. All he would have to draw are eyes and teeth smile
Posted By: Semi Transparent Fellow Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 04:22 PM
This is such gorgeous work. I wish I were going to Dallas just to buy up all your sketches, Barry. I really like the wrist length gloves on some of the characters - very practical and makes them look like they're ready for action. December, hurry up!
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 05:15 PM
Faboo!
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 06:38 PM
Awesome! I hope we can eventually get to see alternate costume designs that didn't see print too? Thanks!
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 09:26 PM
We could always have an Invisible Kid issue set inside a single room. smile
Posted By: Pov Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 09:54 PM
Photostat the room, and VOILA! The rest is up to the letterer! lol
Posted By: Hamz Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 09:58 PM
Hi Barry,
Your artwork has made me very excited about this title. In fact, this is the most excited I've been about the Legion in a looonngg time.

Your "smiling" group sketch is fantastic. I love your new Ultra Boy costume. Is there any way we can see your character designs?? Especially of Lyle?
Posted By: the boy with UltraPowers Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 10:46 PM
hey Barry !!

it's good to see that smile picture again !!

i liked seeing ULTRA BOY center stage !!

Matthew.
Posted By: the boy with UltraPowers Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 10:49 PM
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Jo looks great in the "grinning" page (I'm surprised Matt didn't buy that one)
i did almost choose that one, but i felt it was
cool to have the sketch of the actual finished page, as it appeared in the issue !!!

Matthew.
Posted By: the boy with UltraPowers Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 10:50 PM
i hope everyone can see how good the cape looks on SATURN GIRL, now !!!

it really does look great, just wait till you see #1 .....

Matthew.
Posted By: the boy with UltraPowers Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/26/04 10:51 PM
hey Barry !!

any plans to show your character design pages ??

i know everyone here would really love to see them ....

Matthew.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 12:39 AM
Wow, Barry, this looks great! Star Boy looks as great as ever, but I have to admit that Sun Boy looks a lot better than in the preview. If this is any indication, I really can't wait to see the finished product.

I also say this these are the best costumes Phantom Girl, Cosmic Boy, and Lightning Lad have ever had.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 12:44 AM
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
i hope everyone can see how good the cape looks on SATURN GIRL, now !!!

it really does look great, just wait till you see #1 .....

Matthew.
You're right, Matthew. This costume does look a lot nicer here than in the preview. It seems like not everything came through well in that preview. I would have liked to see new colors on Saturn Girl but I guess it's possible for her to change at some point.
Posted By: Stargazer Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 04:24 AM
Thanks for sharing your work with us here. I just know December is gonna rock when the Legion gets back in action.
Looking forward to mmeting you in Dallas !
Posted By: Barry Kitson Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 05:44 AM
Thanks again everyone!
I'll try to get some of those design sheets to Nightcrawler today so they can be available before I head off to Dallas - I'm guessing starting a new thread with them on would be best?
Posted By: the boy with UltraPowers Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 08:27 AM
Thanks again everyone!
I'll try to get some of those design sheets to Nightcrawler today so they can be available before I head off to Dallas - I'm guessing starting a new thread with them on would be best?
cool can't wait !!!

btw Barry, you could simply edit the title of this thread [ and say Updated ] or start a new one, whatever is easy for you smile

Matthew.
Posted By: Pariscub Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 08:29 AM
Thanks again everyone!
SHould it be called "Barry does Dallas" ? ;-)

Joke aside, great job, Barry... To be honest, I wasn't convinced about the reboot/relaunchh/whateveryoucallit, mainly because I think Waid is often hit or miss... But I loved seeing your pages so far... So for the art alone, I'm in!
Posted By: Ultra Jorge Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 10:09 AM
Not only is his art pretty cool his sharing it here on this board!

Barry some questions...coloring? smile

I really love the final job I saw on Lightning Lad's lightning! Was that something you all talked about or did the colorist take liberty? As i've mentioned dozens of times I love the animated colors! wink

Karl Kesel! C'mon you can spill it! Not only is he a legendary Legion inker...he's a legendary inker! Plus I think he would look great over your style. The question IS has Kesel ever inked your work before?!

Thanks!

Jorge
Posted By: Barry Kitson Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 10:21 AM
Thanks for the tip Matthew!

Hi Pariscub - Thanks...and don't worry I'll try to keep Mark in line smile

Hi Jorge - Karl has inked my work - he did an issue when we worked together on the Adventures of Superman....he's not the superstar in question though smile
The coloring was an idea Chris Blythe and I discussed and thought would work nicely.
Posted By: Future Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 03:05 PM
Wow! I have to agree with Nightcrawler and some others...I really, really like the sketch with the Legionnaires smiling. Feels a lot more hopeful!

I also like how much closer to the viewer a lot of the Legionnaires are! It's nice to see Imra and Lu closer and I'll never complain about getting another look at Ayla's new costume. I love it!

Imra's outfit is definitely growing on my now that the sketch and the #2 cover shed a little more light on the design.

Thanks again for sharing and for all the time you spend with us on Legion World!
Posted By: Barry Kitson Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/27/04 06:09 PM
Hi Future - Thanks - it's a pleasure being here - I'm really glad the designs are growing on you!
smile
Posted By: Ultra Jorge Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/28/04 04:06 AM
Ayla's latest costume is the best she's ever had I think. It's amazing.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/28/04 02:29 PM
Consider me sold on Saturn Girl's cape, too. I love how it seems to flow out of the costume. Plus, I always thought short capes on girls were hot (probably why I always had a thing for the original Duo Damsel).

I overall like SG's outfit, but I AM still concerned that her costume and Triplicate Girl's are too similar to each other and too reminiscent of the 1990s uniform look. Is there some character/narrative reason for the two girls to dress similarly?

Light Lass is also a knock-out: the two-piece, bare arms and shorty gloves!!!! Starting in the 1970s, the Legion always had the sexiest female characters (and men too, I guess). I am so thrilled that Barry has brought back the individualistic, sexy sensibility of that time, while still creating new and exciting looks for our characters.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: From Sketch to Inks - 10/28/04 03:50 PM
I like the design of Light Lass's costume, but not the arrow. I think I'll probably always miss that little feather. And didn't she have a cloud at one point?
© Legion World