Legion World
Admit it... you missed it!

THE RULES:

1) THE BASIC IDEA: Post to this thread, if no one posts after you for 24 hours, you win!

2) Posts that are not direct responses to one of the five preceding posts are ineligible to win. The topic can drift, but no complete non-sequitors. Posts that are responses to non-sequitors are also ineligible to win. Posts that are responses to responses to non-sequitors, and responses to those posts, etc., become eligible, however.

3) In the event that this thread is locked, there shall be no winner unless a new thread is started for the contest. Furthermore, any post that results in the banning of the poster shall also be ineligible to win.

4) So, more precisely, one wins if one makes a post, and then no one makes another post that's eligible to win for 24 hours.

Credit where credit is due:
with few modifications, the above are based almost verbatim on EDE's original rules.

now, get to it!
unintentionally, this new version comes 3 days short of the 5th anniversary of EDE's original contest debuting.
That was a great week for Legion World! laugh
The return of this thread has activated the AUTO-REPLY Function on Abin's Computer. It's all your fault, Kent!

<span style="font-size: 30px;">DIE YOU BASTICH THREAD!!!

Die! Die! Die!
</span>

And so on and so forth...

(This message paid for by the Committee to Kill This Thread)

I'm Abin's Computer and I approve this message. lol
To quote another Rocky, "But that trick never works!"
Yeah, but at least this time, nobody can claim it's a non-sequitor.

And it's got a better shot than another discussion of the dewey decimal system.
What about a discusiion about the ERISA retirement system?
Or a discussion. Goodness, I am getting more like Cobie everyday.
How can we be positive you're NOT Conie?

Hmmm?
Or Cobie?
Or Sonnie, for that matter?
Old kiss 'em and forget 'em Abin.
emphasis on the "old" part.
That "Sunny Came Home" song bugs the [bleep] out of me. I don't know why, aside from the fact that somebody should tell Shawn Colvin to not record when she clearly has a headcold. evil
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Old kiss 'em and forget 'em Abin.
Yeah, well I know you ain't Ceej...

I'm just sayin'...
The return of this thread has activated the AUTO-REPLY Function on Abin's Computer. It's all your fault, Kent!

Die! Die! Die!
</span>

lol

It bring me joy, knowing I've given an elderly man a purpose in life...
Fracking Young Whippersnappers... Get offa my lawn you young punk! lol
Just as long as you don't invite me down to the basement for Popsicles, Abin, we're fine! wink
I prefer creamsicles. [Linked Image]
I've heard that about you. wink
It wasn't on this thread though http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003322#000000
It is now!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=003322&p=11#000157
Thank you for bumping that thread. Now I don't look pushy and egotistical.
Well, not as much.
I had totally forgotten about Quis dating the Bunch-of-Grapes Guy. I'd have figured he'd go for the Apple Guy.
It just goes to show......something, I guess.
I like to use show bets to hedge my bets on horses that are priced at 7-1 to 10-1.
Horse racing produced one of the oddest days in my life. I had a friend who had a tradition of inviting friends over for mint juleps on Kentucky Derby day.

This friend moved out of state and the following year, another friend and I tried to keep the tradition alive. We drank mint juleps and watched the Derby. Only we had lots and lots of mint juleps--they went down so easily--and the Derby only lasts two minutes. So it was about 5 p.m. on a Saturday, we're both plastered and aren't sure what to do next. Somehow we ended up watching The Lawrence Welk Show on PBS and laughing ourselves silly.
I'm not much of a betting man... Even though I grew up next to Belmont racetrack, I never went there til I was in my early thirties...
I've never really gotten into horse racing.
We went out earlier this evening to a brew pub called Horsefeathers. I was disappointed that there didn't seem to be any Marx Bros. memorabilia around the place. However, the beer was very good.
Good beer without decor is better than decor without good beer.

Die! Die! Die!
</span>

Old people can be sooo cute! Makes you just want to pinch their cheeks and give them (low sodium) cookies.
One of my proudest moments was the time I taught an 82-year-old woman to send her first e-mail in a computer class I was teaching at the library.
Consarn, young whippersnapper's got no respect! Why iffen I ever talked to my elders that way when I was your age... Consarn It!

Now my tea's gone cold!
...and your dentures are soaking in it.
Actress Jan Miner played Madge the Manicurist ("You're soaking in it") in the Palmolive commercials that ran from about the '60s to the '80s. I don't believe she was any relation to Outdoor.
Originally posted by Kent:
...and your dentures are soaking in it.
Those aren't my dentures, my dentures are right...

Oh...

Thanks.
Martha Raye did commercials for Poli-Dent denture cleaner in the '70s and '80s. Of course, her finest role ever was as Benita Bizarre on The Bugaloos.
On her wikipedia page, in a photo of her as a young woman, she kinds resembles Kirstie Alley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Raye
She also played Mel's mother on Alice.
Sid & Marty Kroft... dear God... if I had a Time Bubble, the first thing I'd do is go back in time to when I was about eight years old and throw the damn TV out the second-floor window-- to save all the once-thriving braincells that were so ignobly lost to hours and hours and hours of that stuff.

(I hate it when parents turn out to have been right all along.) shake
Don't fret, Cleome. I'm sure if you had thrown the TV set out the window, Ma and Pa Cleome probably would have bought a new one.
Once upon a summertime
Just a dream from yesterday
A boy and his magic golden flute
Heard a boat from off the bay
"Come and play with me, Jimmy
Come and play with me.
And I will take you on a trip
Far across the sea."

But the boat belonged to a kooky old witch
Who had in mind the flute to snitch
From her broom broom in the sky
She watched her plans materialize
She waved her wand
The beautiful boat was gone
The skies grew dark
The sea grew rough
And the boat sailed on and on and on and on and on and on.

But Pufnstuf was watching too
And knew exactly what to do
He saw the witch's boat attack
And as the boy was fighting back
He called his rescue racer crew
As often they'd rehearsed
And off to save the boy they flew
But who would get there first?

But now the boy had washed ashore
Puf arrived to save the day
Which made the witch so mad and sore
She shook her first and screamed away.

H.R. Pufnstuf,
Who's your friend when things get rough?
H.R. Pufnstuf
Can't do a little cause he can't do enough.

H.R. Pufnstuf,
Who's your friend when things get rough?
H.R. Pufnstuf
Can't do a little cause he can't do enough.
I believe the correct lyric is "From her Vroom Broom in the sky".
The H. R. Pufinstuf song lyrics above have activated the AUTO-REPLY Function on Abin's Computer. It's all your fault, Quis!

Die! Die! Die!
</span>

Still we can thank the Krofts for suing the McDonaldLand characters out of existence.

I miss Mayor McCheese.
Dear Abin's computer,

According to Wikipedia and IMDB, the H R Pufnstuf theme song was written by Les Szarvas. I had nothing to do with it.
As is tradition, I shall break the non-sequitor rule since it would be funny to win but then get disqualified.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/09/10 12:31 AM
I think it'd be funnier if this post won, but got disqualified for being a first-level reply to a non-sequitor tongue
I think it'd be funnier yet if Abin won with one of his "Die! Die! Die!" posts.
It would be even funnier if walkwithcrowds came back just to win this one.
It would be funnier if Les Szarvas showed up and won this one.
We should have rhino track him down like he did Tom Fatsi
<span style="font-size: 30px;"><font face="caslon">LIVE, YOU BIG CRAZY LOVABLE THREAD!!

LIVE!!</font f></span>

<font face="caslon"><span style="font-size: 25px;">It would be terrible if Thomas Fatsi came back only to find a dead thread!!</font f></span>
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/09/10 02:08 AM
Would it really be that bad?
I think he could take it.
Wait'll Tom finds out that Abin secretly tapped into his retirement fund in order to fund the, er, "committee."

shake
As long as he thinks that it was Abin, we're OK.
Tsk! OM, you said you inherited that money from your deceased rich uncle!

sigh
And I will continue to say that.
See what this thread is doing to us? Lying and stealing! We should just let it die with this post.
I can't stop myself.

Clearly I need help.

The best way to help would be to let this thread end right here, to not dredge up old memories.
Well get you the help you need, Miner. Just let this thread go.
I appreciate that.

If we could all just let this thread go now, it would make things so much easier.
I agree. Let's end it now.
Agreed. It's got to stop.
And it will.
With this post.
Or not.
Ya sold me out, Rocky.

Ya sold me out.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/09/10 11:06 AM
This cloying "and you..." has got to stop.

Can't we just yell at each other like humans, or beat each other up like superheroes?
(hmm. this must be some kind up team-up! I'd better start out with the obligatory misunderstanding and throw the first punch)*

*paraphrased from Valor's meeting with Ambush Bug
And here I thought we were doing an homage to Alphonse and Gaston !
ah, those guys are sooo last century.
The classics never go out of style.
Humor is timeless!
Laughter is the best medicine.
...unless you're trying to get a straight answer to a serious question from your MD, who suddenly thinks he's Hawkeye Pierce.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/09/10 08:33 PM
...or, generally, the laughter is at you, rather than by or with you.
Bosco, Why'd you torch the house?

It was laughing at me!!

Bosco, it was laughing with you! Some people have no concept of reality!
Poor, misunderstood Bosco.
Bosco is relatively harmless, so long as nothing within reach can be used as a weapon.
I think that sums up Western civilization as a whole.
very true.
<font face="caslon"><span style="font-size: 16px;">Oh, hang Western Civ. Hang it high from the nearest cottonwood, I say!

This is post number:</span>

<span style="font-size: 22px;"><blink>9701!</blink></span>

<span style="font-size: 16px;">This thread shall not be allowed to die before I hit 10,000 posts. I swear it, by the power of Caslon!</span></font f>
I see the gauntlet has been well and truly thrown.
<font face="caslon"><span style="font-size: 18px;">A gauntlet consisting of a mere <strike>299</strike> 296 posts?

You guys are made of sterner stuff than that, I'm sure. Tsk.</span></font f>
"Tsk" is one of those weird things used to represent something that we have no letters for in English--although it is also pronounced as if spelled "tisk".
"Tsk" is also slang for the debris that hangs around at the bottom of the Triscuitâ„¢ box after all of the actual crackers have been consumed.

At least, it is now. I just decided. wink
The Cocoa Krispies commercials in the '70s featured Tusk the Elephant. When people would say "tsk, tsk", he would correct them and say "Tusk, Tusk".
"Tusk" is my favorite Nicks-era Fleetwood mac record.
Mmmmm..... Triscuitâ„¢ drool
James Sturm's comic The Cereal Killings is a dystopian funny animal saga that shows characters like Tusk and Sonny the Cuckoo (under other names, of course) coming to various forms of grief as adults. Kind of like what happens to so many real-life child stars.
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
"Tusk" is my favorite Nicks-era Fleetwood mac record.
mine, too.
The '60s cartoon Linus the Lion-Hearted was a series about the characters who were then the mascots of various brands of Post cereals. Despite this, it was an imaginatively written and very witty series. Voice talent included Ruth Buzzi and Jonathan Winters. Sugar Bear is the only character from the series who remained a cereal mascot beyond the '60s.
Sugar Bear always reminded me of Dean Martin, while the Trix rabbit was kind of a Jerry Lewis figure.
Eat Branimaniacs
Nutritionally, it lacks
But this cereal attacks
All of your digestive tracts

It's Branamani...
"My stomach's in pain-y...
Branamaniacs!!
Animaniacs was a brilliant piece of animation. I wish they'd show it again.
The voice actor who did The Brain will be at Dragon*Con this year. Hopefully I'll get to meet him.
Maurice LaMarche! love

The trend of giving A-List celebs every damn voice assignment in animated movies these days really bugs me. Usually they don't add anything to the proceedings except a name. Also, I don't think I can ever enjoy "Chicken Run" again because Mel Gibson is such a bigoted, violent-tempered, psycho-woman-hating piece of [bleep].

shake Too bad they didn't just have LaMarche do Gibson's voice.
That depends. About ten years ago, there was an animated film called The Road to El Dorado, the highlight of which, honestly, was Kenneth Branagh and Kevin Kline's voicing of the two leads.
We are the Freakies
We are the Freakies
And this is our Freakies Tree

And we never miss a meal
Cause we love our cereal

This is the Big Boss
We call him BossMoss
Make sure you spell it right

Snorkeldorf they call me
So handsome and pretty

Here’s little Hamhose
He’s got a weird nose
Do I really have to sing?

My name is Grumble
I am Cowmumble
You’re standing on my foot

Gargle is his name
Smartness is my game
I know more than you do

And don’t forget me
I’m Goody-Goody
I always do what’s right
For instance, I eat Freakies
cause it’s got a lot of vitamins
and it’s good for me

Oh we are the Freakies
We are the Freakies
And this is our Freakies Tree
Yessir...

The Video
Captain Crunch was a childhood favorite for me.
Did anyone ever actually eat a "Good, nutritious breakfast with toast, juice, milk and (Enter Cereal Name Here)"?
Yes, rather often.

Especially in adulthood, because it was pretty easy to put together.
I don't think that we ever ate toast and cereal at the same meal when we were kids.

Also, I think I started drinking coffee at around twelve or so, which would explain a lot of things-- probably.
I always enjoyed dipping the toast in the cereal milk for extra flavor.
toast and cereal together seem redundant. Only at certain breakfast buffets would I have both at the same meal.

I'm not much of a cereal eater anymore, anyway.
I very fondly remember having breakfast with Kent and Seymour (I don't remember whether Director joined us) on the roof of our hotel in San Diego in '08. The four of us shared a room. CJ referred to it as "The Love Shack". I started writing an LMB tale with that title, though I never finished it.
that was a great roof, wasn't it? glad we had everyone over for pizza and booze that one evening.
That was a great time.
That was the most beautiful weather I have ever experienced in July. I've lived in Massachusetts, Florida, Michigan and Texas and all are hot and humid at that time of year.
I think we lucked out that year. I can recall a few fairly humid San Diego trips.
in 5 visits since '86, I've never found San D to be anywhere near what I consider bad humidity. only in 95 (I think) was it slightly noticeable, but still better than eastern humidity.
It's tricky; the closeness to water can give you a nice breeze each day, but the humidity can suck the moisture right out of you if you aren't careful.
You make it sound like the salt vampire from early Star Trek.
lol

I liked San Diego! San Jose, too, the couple of times I went there for APE.

But I felt like a vampire in SJ, the first visit. I stepped off the plane with a buddy and was attacked by sunlight. I threw my hands over my face and practically hissed.

lol
and SD isn't bad, compared to Vegas, Texas or the tropics.
You make it sound like the salt vampire from early Star Trek.
The difference is that you can work out who and what the salt vampire is in 10 minutes.
and SD isn't bad, compared to Vegas, Texas or the tropics.
Vegas is fun for, oh, 4-5 days. After that my brain shuts down from sensory overload.
My wallet usually shuts down first...
4-5 days is about right.

Best advice I got was to not go in the summer.
If anyone had advised him to use protection with the prostitutes, that probably would've trumped it.
4-5 days is about right.

Best advice I got was to not go in the summer.
we were there in summer 06. 4 days, not that bad.
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
If anyone had advised him to use protection with the prostitutes, that probably would've trumped it.
ask Abin; he was collecting all their flyers! wink
Only place I ever saw mobile billboards advertising hookers.
So you never visited Cobie back in the day?
I've never been to Las Vegas. I have friends who go regularly. My parents went when I was five years old and they saw Elvis Presley in concert. This was about three years before he died.
ah, the jelly donut years. at least there was a lot of Elvis to see.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Donuts!!!!!!!!!!! drool
The Odyssey: By Homer Simpson.
One of my favorite scenes from The Flintstones is from the flashback episode to Fred and Barney's first meeting with Wilma and Betty. They're all at a movie theatre and the voices onscreen (imitating Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant) have the following exchange:
"I am not a duchess. I was a jellyist."
"A jellyist?"
"Yes, I put the jelly in the jelly doughnuts!"
[JFK]I am a jelly donut.[/JFK]
You are lucky that I perfer Boston Cream Donuts.
You are lucky that I perfer Boston Cream Donuts.
you "perfer" them, Cobie? wink
Sorry I was channeling Sarah Palin
Can you change the channel, please?
Sure. I can channel Sen. Joseph McCarthy, Benedict Arnold, Guy Fawkes, Lucrezia Borgia, or Pauly Shore.
Whew, what a relief that at least you can't channel the lead singer of Nickelback.
I heard that Kent channels him.
But only when he's constipated.
Even occasionally is too much in this case.
No argument there. nod
I mean, at least pick something interesting when the plumbing is giving you trouble, like the guy from Opeth.
I predict that Fanfic Lass' next songwriting masterpiece will be a re-imagining of LRB's "Hang On, Help Is On The Way."

Unless rickshaw1 beats her to it, of course.

laugh
I'll let Rick have a go at that one. It's gonna be hard for me to top the Steve Miller parody I posted recently.
My Tom Petty parody involves multiple rhymes with the word "muck." That's all I can say because I don't want Nightcrawler to toss me out on my ear. Just use your imaginations.

angel
Each day through my window I watch her as she passes by
I say to myself, "You're such a lucky guy"
To have a girl like her is truly a dream come true
Out of all of the fellas in the world she belongs to me

But it was just my imagination
Running away with me
It was just my imagination
Running away with me

Soon we'll be married and raise a family
A cozy little home out in the country with two children, maybe three
I tell you, I can visualize it all
This couldn't be a dream for too real it all seems

But it was just my imagination, once again
Running away with me
I tell you it was just my imagination
Running away with me

Every night, on my knees I pray
"Dear Lord, hear my plea
Don't ever let another take her love from me
Or I will surely die"

Ooh, her love is heavenly
When her arms enfold me
I hear a tender rhapsody
But in reality, she doesn't even know me

Just my imagination, once again
Running away with me
Oh, I tell you it was just my imagination
Running away with me

I never met her but I can't forget her
Just my imagination
Running away with me
Just my imagination
Running away with me

She's never hard to find
Just my imagination
She's always on my mind
(Running away with me)
Just my imagination
Running away with me

Just my imagination
Running away with me
Just my imagination
Running away with me
I never met her but I can't forget her

Just my imagination
I would parody John Cougar Melloncamp, but he does a good enough job of that on his own.
Hmmmm...Melloncamp parody...

"Like pooper on fire."

No, wait, Mr. Bungle beat me to that a long time ago.
Mellencamp parody:

"Oooh, yeah. Your life's [bleep]
So I took your pain and scored myself a major hit.
Oooh, yeah. Your life's [bleep]
But I got'cher money, so I don't care about your life one bit..."

This is not a commentary on Johnny CM as a human being, just a statement that 95% of his damn music makes me want to punch a wall until I pull back a bloody stump and pass the [bleep] out.

evil
What about the other 5%?
I like his work with Lisa Germano.
About all the German I know is choir German. The one time I visited Germany, I was pretty much limited to "danke" and "bitte", because you can't get too far on "Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht!
Alles schläft; einsam wacht" in June.
Oooh... [is jealous]

What cities did you travel in, Rocky?
Just Freiburg and Saarbrucken. I was with a group that spent a week in Alsace and we crossed over the border into Germany a couple times. My French is passable, so I had little trouble there. After staying in Strasbourg and Colmar, we then spent a week in Paris.
I visited Germany and Austria in 1993. Cities I stopped in included Berlin, Leipzig, Garmisch-Partenkirken, Landshut, and Innsbruck (Austria).

I had minored in German in college, and the trip was my graduation present to myself. It was a wonderful experience, though a somewhat sobering one. I wanted to call home at one point, so my German professor, who led the trip, made me go into the Gasthaus to ask the operator for assistance *by myself*. After four years of German, I thought I knew enough . . .

On the other hand, I was proud when I ordered breakfast by myself in Leipzig a day or two later. (And this was only three years after the Berlin Wall came down; Leipzig had been Communist territory -- that, too, was sobering.)
Two years before the trip I mentioned above, I took another tour, which was a week in England and a week in France, mostly looking at churches and cathedrals. We went to London, Bristol, Hereford, Liverpool and Coventry in England and then took the Eurostar to Paris. We also visited Amiens, Beauvais, Chartres and Versailles. It was a great time. I'd love to go back to either country, but I'd really love to go back to the UK and spend more time in London and also visit Oxford and Canterbury, and, perhaps a trip to Wales.
I spent about 6 weeks of my summer travels in Germany in 1991. I actually got stranded in Saarbrucken overnight once! I also have ben to Freiburg.

The former East was interesting to visit. Still lots of Soviet soldiers everywhere - on vacation with nothing to do, waiting for Mother Russia to build them barracks back home so they could be moved out. At every tourist site in the east, you'd see Russian soldiers killing time - always in groups; skinhead attacks on them were on the rise.
I attempted to use my limited German in Saarbrucken by asking "Wo ist der WC?". Now in France, when I asked "OĂ¹ est la toilette?" I stood a chance of understanding the answer; however, in Germany, where they speak a language in which I can count to twelve, know a few polite words and the lyrics to several sacred choral works, I was stymied by the answer. I finally had to ask in English.
I hope there is more to Saarbrucken than what I saw. I was not impressed. Although the hooker who hung out next to my hotel was cute.
Rocky, you can count to twelve in German? You're ahead of me -- I can only count to ten, and that's thanks to Walt Kelly's Pogo.
I can count to twelve in Germany. Although I have never been to Germany.
I turned twelve in 1986, the same year that Caliente and Tempest were born.
I graduated high school in '86.
I think '86 was the year that I was fired from a job for not drinking. Or maybe it was '87. If only I'd drunk more back then, I'd probably remember for sure...
How do you get fired for NOT drinking? What kind of a job was that? confused
dunno... but I'm probably overqualified...
Can you get a degree in not drinking? Elective credit, maybe?
I think it was in 1986 that I had my first real drink: a Black Russian. (Still one of my favorites.)
I also graduated from high school in 1986. I graduated a year early (Like the song, I was 16, going on 17). In retrospect, it was a big mistake. I wasn't emotionally ready for college and, even though I did well, I think I would have done better had I been a year or two older.
In college, I usually spent what little money I had on comic books instead of food. Ah, youth, where cheap thrills take priority over sustenance.
Overall, I have good memories of college. Unfortunately, I graduated at age 20 with a BA in English and no marketable skills. Finding a job afterwards was not easy. Potential employers would look at my résumé amd say "Have you considered going back to school?". I did six-and-a-half years later.
I can never decide whether my biggest mistake was going to college in the first place, or re-enrolling again after dropping out. shrug

[Aside to Fanfic Lass: It was a serving/busing job in this snooty cafe' in a snooty NYC department store. My boss was, shall we say, an extremely difficult person. But when work was over she'd sometimes invite staff to stick around and have a drink (on her) at the bar. Well, I A) Didn't drink then, B) Didn't like my boss and C) Had no diplomatic/butt-kissing skills to speak of. So I'd just grumble, "No thanks," and leave.

Hence my eventually being canned for having an "attitude problem," when at that time and in that place, NOT having one would normally be what landed an employee in hot water. laugh
]
cleome's last post has activated the AUTO-REPLY Function on Abin's Computer. It's all your fault, cleome!

Die! Die! Die!
</span>

<font face="caslon"><span style="font-size: 22px;">Wooooooo!!</span>

<span style="font-size: 20px;">Only 196 posts to go!! Thanks, Quank!</span></font f>
cleome's last post has activated the AUTO-REPLY Function on Abin's Computer. It's all your fault, cleome!

Die! Die! Die!
</span>

<span style="font-size: 7px;">responding to consecutive auto-replies will reset your post count to zero.</span>
Diplomatic skills can be useful. It's necessary in my job. It's amazing how upset people can become about a 60-cent overdue fine.
responding to consecutive auto-replies will reset your post count to zero.
<font face="caslon"><span style="font-size: 17px;">Nah. I fear no "emergency" resets since last week, when I "helped" Nightcrawler solve some recurring issues with his retirement plan. </font f></span>

[pats checkbook]
Curses... Foiled Again! [/Snidley Whiplash Voice]
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Diplomatic skills can be useful. It's necessary in my job. It's amazing how upset people can become about a 60-cent overdue fine.
Hey, now. Sixty cents buys an entire comic book, so long as you've already paid to have your Time Bubble charged up.

PovertyLad
The funny thing is some people, even people who aren't wealthy, will happily pay fines for 50 dollars or more, but those little fines get to them.
I imagine they consider having to deal with smaller amounts as a drain on their time. Or something.
Maybe. But it's not like they have to pay them right away. As long as they keep fines under ten dollars, they can still use their cards and they have till the card expires (every three years) to pay. shrug
That's a very generous system.
It varies a bit from locality to locality, but most public libraries have similar practices.
I tend to not turn in books late, so I don't know how they do it where I live.
You're a responsible library patron, Miner! laugh
I am, indeed.

They make it pretty easy, though. I get automated e-mails letting me know that the books are due and providing a link to where I can renew them if noone else has requested them.
We do the same. Of course, if people change their e-mail address without telling us, that can cause a problem.

I notice also, Miner, that we both spell "e-mail" the proper way, with a hyphen. I always thought "email" looked like it should be pronounced "uh-MAIL" or "EM-ail".
"Email" suggests a type of bird to me.
That and the hyphen represents the elision of the rest of the word "electronic". In Spanish, it's still officially called "correo electronico", though many Spanish-speakers in this country refer to it as "el e-mail".

Of course, I recently had to explain to our summer intern--who is fully bilingual and grew up speaking Spanish--that where we work is indeed a "biblioteca" and not a "libreria", which would be a bookstore.
too bad. Think of the profits if she'd sold off the holdings! wink
I used to spell it "e-mail," but I work in academic institutions where the tendency is to spell it "email." As words become more familiar in English, the tendency is to gradually do away with the hyphen (e.g. "stepgrandson").
That's true, though I've always had a fondness for hyphens.
good point, HWW. Even "today" used to be "to-day."
Bah. I think we should resist linguistic change as much as possible. We should start by purifying English of all outside influences, as Poul Anderson does in Uncleftish Beholding.
"purifying" eh? So you want a purge? I have some syrup of ipecac if you need it.
At a San D Comicon banquet in '86, Poul Anderson and his wife were among those at the table where I was seated. This was before I knew who he was.

Mark Evanier was also at our table.
It couldn't have been nearly as much fun as pizza on the roof with the LMB in '08!
it wasn't!
Somehow, I thought that was the case.
But it was my first San D. Age 17, 1st trip across the country, 1st time on a plane, 1st time out of the country (day-trip to TJ), 1st time having a hotel room of my own.... a lot of 1sts that trip.
I took Greyhound the first time I went to S.D. Gah. Even in my early twenties, I was a wreck from the trip, which was a mere (!!!) 18-22 hours.

Swore I'd never do that again, and I haven't. lol
longest single Greyhound trip was to Georgia in the late 90s. 24ish hours. blagh.

lately, I've done Greyhound in the NY/QC/ON area. still a pain in the arse.
I've never taken a trip via Greyhound. I don't intend to change that.
good policy. avoid it at all costs!
The only thing it ever seemed to have going for it was price. That isn't quite enough for me when I'm travelling.
The case of the insane guy on the Greyhound bus in Manitoba two years ago pretty much confirmed my worst fears about people who travel by bus.
was that the guy who tried to eat someone else's head?
Back in the '90s, I took a bus from Boston to New Bedford a couple times when I was dating a guy who lived there. It was about an hour's ride. That's a long enough bus ride for me.
It's over an hour by bus and train to work every day for me. I've managed to deal with it.
Yes that was the guy who decapitated the guy in the next seat while the guy was asleep and then proceeded to eat his head. Yes no bus for me.
Remind me never to go to Manitoba.
My parents honeymooned in Canada: Niagra Falls, to be exact.
I took the train cross-country to San Diego twice. (And once to Seattle) The first time, I just had a seat on the leg from Albany to Chicago. 17 hours. I learned my lesson and got the roomette the next two times.
Train is also the name of a truly horrendous band whose lead singer looks like a cross between Peter Gallagher and Frankenstein's Monster and has the quintessential mall-ternative rock voice. puke
Though I don't believe I've heard any other song by Train, I did grow to like "Calling All Angels."
You must have heard their inescapable...I can barely type it..."Hey, Soul Sister." Gah! I feel like I need a bath now.
It doesn't ring a bell.
Consider yourself fortunate.

And I forgot to mention it's one of the few modern songs that Cleome and I both dislike!
Their really big songs were "Meet Virginia" and especially "Drops of Jupiter".
I actually saw them live once. I remember they did a pretty horrible cover of a classic rock song, but I can't remember what it was.

I actually kind of liked "Meet Virginia", however.
I like "Drops of Jupiter."

I just watched the video of "Hey, Soul Sister" (or part of it due to streaming problems). The song is good, but I agree: the singer's voice is annoying.
They're basically the sort of decent, somewhat faceless melodic rock band that never really goes out of style. Mostly because it isn't in style to begin with.
Oh,like Coldplay?
I don't like any of Coldplay's songs, but yellow is one of my favourite colours. laugh
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Oh,like Coldplay?
Precisely.

Or like dozens of bands that littered the landscape throughout the late '70s and '80s.
There's a crucial difference: those dozens of pre-mallternative bands had good singers.
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
There's a crucial difference: those dozens of pre-mallternative bands had good singers.
No, really, they did not.
No, they did.

We could go around in circles all night, so I suggest we agree to disagree.
I actually like Coldplay's "Viva La Vida."
They have a number of songs that I like as well.

I don't think they're all that special, though. However, the world does. They've sold tens of millions of records worldwide.
There's no accounting for taste. shrug
Tastes like chicken
Coldplay taste like chicken?
I don't know, but chicken tastes good cold.
Do you play with it?
Maaaaaaaaaaay-beeeeee
Come on.

You can tell us.
What I do in the privacy of my home with my cold chicken is only between me and God.
Very well.

There's a "Confess" thread should you find yourself wanting to talk more about this.

In the meantime, we should wind this thread down.
Speaking of winding thread, a former boss of mine who retired earlier this year weaves as a hobby. She has a loom in her house. I understand it takes up a whole room.
I guess it really does loom large in their lives.
The last couple posts have been rather il-LOOM-inating.
Okay, that's the kind of pun that would have been the last line of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon in the '70s.
Forget the puns. I'm still traumatized from stumbling into OM's therapy session with Quis.

faint
Maybe we should end this thread before more posters get traumatized.
Good idea. No one else should post from now on.
Seconded.
all right, then. This is the last post.
Off by one.
How so?
Because this is the last post.
Why?
Abin's auto-reply has finally been confiscated by the authorities, I see.
Maybe it's just being repaired by Zardi.
So we're unlikely to see it again, then.
Zardi always comes back. He's like that fungus under your toenails that way.
only less charming.
Be careful what you ask for...
I wonder if he'd respond to tea tree oil, the same way that the toenail fungus does...

hmmm
Why would you need to oil a tea tree? Was it squeaking?
Will the oil work on coffee trees?
cleome's last post has activated the AUTO-REPLY Function on Zardi the Eternal Man's Computer. It's all your fault, cleome!

<span style="font-size: 30px;">Cease to EXIST Foul and Useless THREAD!!!

Disapate! Disapate! Disapate!
</span>

I'm Zardi the Eternal Man's Computer and I approve this message. lol
[Yawn]
I'd be inclined to take Zardi more seriously if he could spell "dissipate" correctly. shrug
I'd like to see how he spells "defecate."
I liked Zardi better (or at least disliked him less) when he wore the top hat.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/17/10 02:06 AM
Probably something like "dephicate".
Rockhopper Lad:
Of course you did. Many of the world's most celebrated penguins have worn top hats.
Hear that, Zardi? Put on the top hat and learn to spell correctly, and you'll be, well, sorta liked.
Well, one of them, anyway...
Hear that, Zardi? Put on the top hat and learn to spell correctly, and you'll be, well, sorta liked.
Don't make promises we can't keep.
Promise margarine
But give them I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
In the early '80s there was a commercial for Promise margarine that featured a woman standing in a field of sunflowers singing:

There is a land of Promise,
A land of sun and showers,
And in that land that land of Promise,
We grow our golden sunflowers!
No wonder we never bought any of it.
The second driver on my morning bus route always has a bag of sunflower seeds with him.
Riding in the bus down the boulevard
And the place was pretty packed (Yeah!)
Couldn't find a seat so I had to stand
With the perverts in the back
It was smelling like a locker room
There was junk all over the floor
We're already packed in like sardines
But we're stopping to pick up more, look out

Another one rides the bus
Another comes on and another comes on
Hey, who's gonna sit by you

There's a suitcase poking me in the ribs
There's an elbow in my ear
There's a smelly old bum standing next to me
Hasn't showered in a year
I think I'm missing a contact lens
I think my wallet's gone
And I think this bus is stopping again
To let a couple more freaks get on look out

Another one rides the bus ow
Another one rides the bus hey hey
Another one rides the bus hey-ey-ey-ey

The window doesn't open and the fan is broke
And my face is turning blue (Yeah)
I haven't been in a crowd like this
Since I went to see the Who
Well I should've got off a couple miles ago
But I couldn't get to the door
There isn't any room for me to breathe
And now we're gonna pick up more yeaaah
When I worked in Downtown Houston, I rode the bus to work nearly every day. Now I rarely take public transit, and when I do, it's usually the MetroRail. I miss it, in a way, but Houston is a car city.
I'm just glad the damn air conditioning was working on all the buses today! [grumble] Fried temp is FRIED!!

The window doesn't open and the fan is broke
And my face is turning blue (Yeah)
I haven't been in a crowd like this
Since I went to see the Who
I love Weird Al. I really do.

But I grew up in Cincinnati, and I couldn't listen to this particular couplet without wanting to beat the man senseless.
The "window of acceptable time elapsed before jokes commence" varies from consumer to consumer, I guess.
Originally posted by cleome:
The "window of acceptable time elapsed before jokes commence" varies from consumer to consumer, I guess.
Factor in the nature of the event to that window as well.
It's really weird you mention this. For some reason today, I was thinking about a Steve Leialoha comic I used to have that was about the rock concert at Altamont.
That is odd.

Does the comic properly skewer the Grateful Dead for their part in things?
I wish I could remember. I think it was from an old Eclipse or Star*Reach anthology where the theme was the 1960s. Over the years, I've had to shed a whole lot of obscure books that now, in the age of scans and discussion boards, would probably be interesting to a whole lot of people besides me.

Whadaya' gonna' do? shrug
I actually learned about that incident a few years after it happened from watching a WKRP rerun.
me, too. I thought WKRP did a good job on it.
They did. It was a good show in general: great cast, great writing. It deserved better treatment than the network gave it.
Very much so.

I wanted to buy the DVDs, but since they couldn't secure the rights, a lot of the music was changed.
That's interesting. Do they play different songs from the era or do they just play generic electric guitar music in the background?
While we're waiting for OM to provide an answer, I'll mention one of my favorite pieces of WKRP trivia:

The '90s version of the show ("The New WKRP") featured a bona fide rock singer in the cast: Michael Des Barres. In the '70s, Des Barres was a member of a band called Detective, which included two-time Yes keyboard player Tony Kaye and Steppenwolf's original guitarist, Michael Monarch.

IIRC, Des Barres also appeared in an episode of the original WKRP as a member of a British punk rock band, Scum of the Earth.
Michael Des Barres' ex, Pamela Des Barres, is one of my heroines. I, too, want to be famous for nothing special and have access to the best plastic surgeons so I can pretend to be young and beautiful forever.

wink
IIRC, Des Barres also appeared in an episode of the original WKRP as a member of a British punk rock band, Scum of the Earth.
He did.

It's one of the show's best episodes.
All this sitcom talk reminds me of the continuity wars going on in one of those other threads. Is it just me, or do a lot of beloved shows actually have mind-blowingly bad continuity? M*A*S*H* being the first example that pops into my head.
M*A*S*H lasted four times longer than the war it was set during, so yeah.

Most shows, if they go on a bit, eventually trip up on their histories.
Well, there's the longevity factor, and the fact that even early in, the writers would get confused about things like the names of off-camera spouses and such. (Mrs. Blake, for instance, started out as "Mildred" but ended up as "Lorraine," I believe.)
Sitcoms...

When I was little, I thought that the next-to-last lyric of the Three's Company theme song was gibberish:

"Da da dodo day doo"

Then, when I grew up, I found out it actually went:

"Down at our rendezvous"

Which did nothing to convince me that I had not wasted many hours of my childhood watching that show.
Even worse than sitcom's continuity problems are those of soap operas.

Soaps have the opposite problem of comic books in that the characters usually age at a rate faster than in real life. This is known as SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome). A character will be born. Two years later, he's in kindergarten. We see him around now and then and then he disappears for two more years and then he's about sixteen. A character will remember things that happened before he was born!
I remember that on GH. Kids born in the late 70s vanished for a few years; by 1990ish they were in college!
I think American soap operas would benefit from adopting the Latin soap opera format of a really long mini-series with a beginning, middle, and end.

OTOH, they tried that in American prime-time in 2006 and it was a ratings disaster.
I remember that on GH. Kids born in the late 70s vanished for a few years; by 1990ish they were in college!
I think this is where comics got the idea.
I think American soap operas would benefit from adopting the Latin soap opera format of a really long mini-series with a beginning, middle, and end.

OTOH, they tried that in American prime-time in 2006 and it was a ratings disaster.
American daytime soaps seem like an endangered breed, so who knows? it may become possible.

I don't know if it will help soaps, but that format (common in England and Japan as well) has definitely impacted cab;e and network shows these past few years.
American daytime soaps seem like an endangered breed, so who knows? it may become possible.
Which is very sad. I lost my show, Guiding Light, last year. As the World Turns ends next month. Most of the others are barely hanging on. It's a part of American pop culture that will be lost.
Rocky, I remember you said you speak a little bit of Spanish. If you become fluent, you could watch Latin soaps. They've still got quite a bit of life left in them.
Rocky, I remember you said you speak a little bit of Spanish. If you become fluent, you could watch Latin soaps. They've still got quite a bit of life left in them.
I can follow Spanish-language TV fairly well if I watch it with the captions on. I may have to try some time.
sounds similar to Quebecois teleromans, essentially episodic novels told over a lengthy but limited run.
I'm sure many nations have their own versions.
They do, but only the US had one that lasted 72 years. I still miss GL.
Thinking about it now, I doubt 72 years will ever be surpassed.
No, it probably won't. It stands as the longest run of a dramatic broadcast series. With ATWT going off next month, General Hospital becomes the longest-running, but it would need to stay on the air another ten years even to reach GL's TV record, let alone its time on the radio. And, honestly, I don't see it lasting another 10 years.
You would think the producers of Law & Order would have kept it on for one more year to pass Gunsmoke's run. But noooooo. Instead they start up a new series Law & Order:LA.
For a long time, I saw it in several references that Gunsmoke was TV's longest running series with continuing characters. Some time around the '80s, someone remembered the soaps and that its 20-year run was great for primetime, but it's not even close to the overall record.
Only two characters, Marshall Matt Dillon and Doc Adams, remained for the entire twenty year run of Gunsmoke. Doc Adams did not receive a first name until the sixteenth season, when the "Dr. G. Adams" outside his office was finally revealed to stand for "Galen".

On the radio show, "Doc Adams" was an alias the character had adopted when he came West fleeing a murder charge.
You would think the producers of Law & Order would have kept it on for one more year to pass Gunsmoke's run. But noooooo. Instead they start up a new series Law & Order:LA.
For some reason, it unnerves me that people who weren't even born when I quit watching L&O are now almost old enough to start choosing colleges.

I quit when The Evil Lizard Woman replaced whoever it was who replaced Jill Hennessey. The magic was gone, y'know?
Angie Harmon is indeed evil.

She did make good fodder for Sandra Bernhard on her tragically short-lived A&E talk show which had the misfortune of premiering a week before September 11, 2001.
[b] You would think the producers of Law & Order would have kept it on for one more year to pass Gunsmoke's run. But noooooo. Instead they start up a new series Law & Order:LA.
For some reason, it unnerves me that people who weren't even born when I quit watching L&O are now almost old enough to start choosing colleges.[/b]
...yet Bart Simpson hasn't aged a day.
Jill Hennessey was the best ADA, but Briscoe and Green were the best cop duo, and that came after Hennessey's run.
Bart Simpson and Angie Harmon -- what a couple.

Of course, she'd end up in jail like Mary Kay Letourneau, but, like I said, Angie Harmon is evil. shrug
[snip]

...yet Bart Simpson hasn't aged a day.
I'm so old that I remember all those bootleg Simpson's shirts that had them as hippies, Rastafarians, and the like.

I worked in a deli the first summer the series was out, and it seemed like every other customer who came into the place was wearing one.
Simpsons trivia: the original voice of Moe was Chris Latta, best known for playing Starscream in Transformers! laugh
"We all scream for Starscream"?
I do. He was an awesome villain.
One of my favorite Simpsons exchanges:

Bart: Nothing you say can upset us, we're the MTV generation.
Lisa: We feel neither highs nor lows.
Homer: Really, what's it like?
Lisa (shrugs): Meh...
From early in the series:

Moe: Hey Barney watch the bar for me. Wait on second thought, Homer watch the bar for me.

Barney: What kind of hopeless alcoholic do you think I am? Oh someone spilt some beer in this ashtray. Slurp!
Even better than Simpsons quotes are Flintstones quotes!

I love it when Wilma sings:

Make your hobby hubby,
Keep your hubby happy.
When he's a little chubby,
He's a happy pappy,
With Rockenshpeel!

I've adapted it for singing to my dog:
Make your Hyvvie happy,
Keep your Hyvvie happy.
When he's a little chubby,
He's a happy puppy!
He's Hyfrydol!
Even better than Simpsons quotes are Flintstones quotes! [/i]
ummm.... how do I say this?

I respectfully disagree.
You do know though that with the Flintstones you will have a gay old time.
T.M.I.
Flintstones trivia: after Fred's original voice, Alan Reed, passed away, he was replaced by Henry Corden, whose other roles include Ookla the Mok in Thundarr the Barbarian.
In the Flintstones cartoons produced in the late '70s, the last line was changed to "great old time".
That's the 70s for you in a nutshell, the establishment trying to hold back the free-spiritedness of the 60s.
The early '70s version was "We'll have a groovy time."
"Hoo-boy, Fred, try this lysergic acid. It makes you see amazing things."

(Fred takes the acid)

"BAAAAHHR-NEEEEEY! I'm having a bad trip!"
That would explain the Great Gazoo.
My favorite thing about The Flintstones is the Don Byron CD that's named after a Beatles pastiche in one of the episodes.
More Flintstones trivia: the great voice actor John Stephenson has been the voice of Mr. Slate for 50 years!!!!!!
"An emerald is as green as grass,
A ruby red as blood;
A sapphire shines as blue as heaven;
A flint lies in the mud.
A diamond is a brilliant stone,
To catch the world's desire;
An opal holds a fiery spark;
But a flint holds a fire."

- Christina Rossetti (1830-1894), "The Flint"
I love Christina Rossetti! She wrote my all-time favorite Christmas carol, "In the Bleak Midwinter". She now even has a feast day on the calendar of the Episcopal Church.
Rocky:

I love Christina Rossetti! She wrote my all-time favorite Christmas carol, "In the Bleak Midwinter". She now even has a feast day on the calendar of the Episcopal Church.
TBH, I've known of that poem forever. Since First Grade, at least. But it was only while searching for it last night that I recalled the writer's name.

I mis-remembered the last "a" as "only," too.
That's okay. It's a lovely poem by one of my favorite poets.

I don't read much poetry any more, but I used to read it all the time. I did my senior paper on Alfred, Lord Tennyson's In Memoriam.
not a poetry fan. But Tennyson's Lady of Shallott made a great song by Loreena McKennitt.
And I write you letters
And go to your house for tea
We are who we are
What do the others know?
But poetry
Is not for me
So show me the way to go home.

- The Sundays, "My Finest Hour"
There once was a man from Nantucket...
I wrote a lot of poetry when I was younger. My favorite was one about coffee:

A sea which is murky and dark,
Contain'd in a blue china cup
Doth rise in steam t'ward the stars
Before the bottom's turned up.

Its waters are hot, so to burn the mouth,
But many endure that sharp pain;
For they need to be working by the ninth hour,
Lest the task-master start to complain.

Its waters are bitter, so to make one cringe,
Yet many ignore what they've tasted;
For they need to be studying all the night long
To make up for time that they've wasted.

Our people ignorantly imbibe
Of the waters of the dark sea;
Yea, I , even I, confess I enjoy
A drink from the murky sea.

That sounded so much better when I was 19.
...who dressed like Little Miss Sehpt
And desperately needed a bucket. puke
I'm guessing that was in regard to Quis's post.

Otherwise...Yeesh! Everyone's a critic! wink
I like your poem, Rocky. Perhaps you should send it to Starbucks.
OMG! lol

Yes, that was in regard to Quis's post.

I like your poem, but I don't think coffee tastes THAT bad.
I figured, Fanfie! laugh

He Who, Starbucks can have my poem if they are willing to pay me one million dollars for it. Of course, their coffee often does taste that bad!
lol

no, worse!
Posted By: .. Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/21/10 12:40 AM
Pshaw!!! nothing is as bad as "instant" coffee!
I had a neighbor once who swore that the best cup of coffee he ever had was one-half brewed coffee and one-half instant coffee.

He was an interesting fellow.
My mom likes to combine brewed coffee with instant coffee.

She's an interesting lady.

Thanks to her, I'm a second-generation Three Stooges fangirl.
It's funny how parents pass things like that on.

I was a fourth-generation Guiding Light fanboy.
I'm also a second-generation Disney Duck fangirl.

My mom actually sent her drawings to Disney when she was little. They sent her a note telling her she showed promise and to keep working at it.

Instead, she became a teacher.
with my mom and grandmother, I was a fan of Star Trek, 70s/80s GH and Dr. Who. They intro'd me to GH, I intro'd them to Who.
Nothin' wrong with being a teacher. cool
Ha ha ha ha

Nothing wrong at all.

I just wonder how different my life would have been if my mom had been an animator.
My mom used to boast that she could write better movies than the ones being filmed. I kept challenging her to prove it, but she never did. I, however, studied screenwriting in grad school. Some dreams are better left unpursued. shake
I have to disagree with you there HWW, Every Dream should be Pursued.

With the understanding that not every dream is a keeper when you catch it...
Yeah, I don't regret pursuing those dreams. I also learned a lot in the process. Still, I can understand why a child cartoonist would grow up to be a teacher, or a would-be screenwriter would remain a housewife. Sometimes dreams lose their luster when they come too close to reality.
Kenz Nuhor believed that every Dream Girl should be pursued, and look where that got him!
And there is the beauty of Legion World! We can discuss just about everything in the universe, but it always comes back to the Legion! flag
By all the ancestors! ShadowLass
I never thought of it before, but I'll bet genealogy is a really big thing on Talok VIII.
I haven't ever had much interest in genealogy, and I've often wanted to write a real essay about the (over)emphasis on legacy heroes and villains in comics. Maybe there's some connection there...?
I've taken an interest in genealogy off and on over the years. What makes it most interesting is knowing that my ancestors were human beings with both courage and frailty. Some stories even define who you are or re-interpret who you think you are.
Posted By: .. Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/21/10 05:52 PM
I've managed to trace my family lines on my mothers side back to several generations before they left County Cork in Ireland.
On my fathers side I only got back to the first part of the family to come to Canada.
A distant cousin of my mother's contacted her some time ago with a genealogy he had done on her mother's family. Among other things, we learned that my great-grandmother was born in Newfoundland.
When cleaning out my aunt's house, I found my grandparents' citizenship certificates. I now have them framed.
My paternal grandmother, my last surviving grandparent, just celebrated her 90th birthday.
My grandfather was born in 1899. For years, I was envious of the fact that he was born in another century. (Now, I guess I was, too!)
My last grandparent was my maternal grandfather. He passed away in March of 2009. My paternal grandfather's younger brother is still living. He is the last member of that generation.
I never knew my maternal grandfather. He died when my mother was eight.
I was blessed to have both sets of grandparents until I was 17. That's when my maternal grandmother died.
The only grandparent I ever knew was my maternal grandmother.
My Maternal Grandfather lived to the age of 94, my Paternal Grandmother lived to the age of 104.
My paternal grandfather (the one born in 1899) lived to 88. That's my oldest relative that I knew personally.
Being an Alt-ID, I have no relatives to speak of. frown
Invent some...
Okay.

I am the oldest of five siblings. I have three brothers and one sister.

Gee, that was easy.
If only we could invent personalities for our relatives so easily. shake
We can.

We just can't get them to use them.
lol

Maybe we should create a new genre: famfic!
That sounds like fun! We should have an All Famfic Thread in Bits.
That would be weird, but it could be weird in a good way.
I'm for it.
I'm interested to see what crazyness comes from this...
So has the thread been made yet?
I'll go make it right now.
Not that I know of...
Soon, I think
Done!
What's next on the agenda?
World peace.
Next, someone has to be the first to make up a wacky relative and/or re-invent a real life relative.
Go for it!
I just did.
I'd be willing to bet that thread dies before this one...

I'm just saying...
[scathing sarcasm]Thank you for that vote of confidence, Abin.[/scathing sarcasm]
I just have confidence in the popularity of this thread. That's all. [/groveling]
Then why do you keep trying to destroy it? confused
Because it's there!
It wouldn't be there any more if we all stopped posting right now.
Agreed! This is the last post!
Then does this post count or not?
It does not, because this is now the last post.
Why?
Why ask why?
Because they don't make Bud Dry anymore?
That's a good thing. Really.
I am rather pleased that stuff is gone as well.
I just never understood the concept.
I think all beer tastes horrible.
As someone else on this board once said: "Why is American beer like sex in a canoe? Because it's f---ing close to water!"
True, but it doesn't answer the conceptual question.
That's a pretty old joke.

So it was probably me.
I reiterate -- I think all beer tastes horrible.
So what do you drink?
It may well have been Miner. Without doing a search, I can tell for sure that it was either Miner, Kid Prime or Reboot. Not three people I would tend to confuse with one another, but it was shortly after I joined LW and was still learning people. And, even after searching, I can't be sure who it was.
Sounds like something Faraway Lad would say...
Tell you what, if you thought it was funny at the time, it was me.

If you didn't, it was Reboot.
Originally posted by Abin Quank:
So what do you drink?
Water, fruit juice*, tea, coffee, soda.

*Grape juice is very soothing even without ferment.
No Alcohol?
Maybe it was Faraway. It was about five years ago. At that point I was just learning about all the fabulous folk who make up LW.
Originally posted by Abin Quank:
No Alcohol?
Can't. I'm on meds.
Maybe it was Faraway. It was about five years ago. At that point I was just learning about all the fabulous folk who make up LW.
Could have been.

I'm sure one of us will steal the line again someday when appropriate.
I don't drink alcohol due to a serious allergic reaction.

It causes me to break out in stupidity.
Anyone may feel free to use the canoe joke. I've used it a few times.
Typical canoe and Tyler, too?
Would that be Rex or Rick Tyler?
Or Tyler Durden?
Rex. He likes to take a pill right before he goes canoe-ing.
I always imagine Time Teller Lad's costume to be a take-off on Rick's Todd McFarlane costume, but without a mask and with a "T" instead of an "H".
And the pill tastes like American Beer?

Miraclo Light?
No, it's full-strength Miraclo. Otherwise, how would he maneuver the canoe through the rapids?
I've been drinking a lot of red ales lately. Either because Fall is approaching or because I'm a Rage Lantern and just don't know it yet. Whichever. shrug
I've been drinking a lot of red ales lately. Either because Fall is approaching or because I'm a Rage Lantern and just don't know it yet. Whichever. shrug
Should the fact that I've been favoring stouts lately give me cause for concern then?
You live very close to Seattle. Could you direct your rage at the musicians there? And, for that matter, at the ones in Portland, too, especially the Dandy Assholes?
Eh. The Warhols aren't worth the energy it would take to hate them. They're like the old joke about Milton Berle: even their baby pictures were probably stolen from somebody else.

OTOH, Quasi is good. As are the various permutations of Viva Voce. Also, the Pinehurst Kids are back together. I always thought that they were fun.
[b]I've been drinking a lot of red ales lately. Either because Fall is approaching or because I'm a Rage Lantern and just don't know it yet. Whichever. shrug
Should the fact that I've been favoring stouts lately give me cause for concern then? [/b]
Maybe it's just your heart that's stout. wink
I dunno, I think I'd sure enjoy kicking the lead singer of the Warhols where it hurts most.

Ooh, and then I could sing that song by the Sundays, "I Kicked a Boy."
Dang. And I forgot The Raventones in Eugene. I wonder if they're still around...

[dreamy sigh]
I kicked a boy til he cried...

Courtney-Courtney Taylor, or whatever the hell you call yourself, I'm coming for you! laugh
I think I posted some Susan & the Surftones in the Beatles cover thread, too. They're so adorable. [hugs cd] I actually bought a disc from their organ player on ebay once, and everything else he was selling was old G.I. Joe animated series action figures. His mailing address was at the Oregon Zoo, so that must've been where his day job was. I was very amused. laugh
He sold his old G.I. Joe toys?? Heretic!
Hey, the life of a rock musician ain't all beer 'n skittles, y'know.

Besides, maybe they didn't actually sell. shrug
Hey, the life of a rock musician ain't all beer 'n skittles, y'know.
Shirley Manson: "When we rrrrrecorded the firrrst Garrrrbage albuuum, ah was living on Baby Rrrrruuuuuth barrrrs and Pepsi Coooooola."
I think one of the Bangles said that she brushed her teeth with Pepsi Light while on the road before they hit it big.

Of course, I only liked the two Bangles albums from before they handed everything over to Prince, because I'm a big damn snot that way. Oh, well...
My favorite Bangles recording is when they did backup vocals for Cyndi Lauper on "Change of Heart."
I liked the janglepop stuff best, like "Hero Takes A Fall". "Manic Monday" was OK, but I lost interest after that.
I work late on Mondays, so I don't go in to work till 11:15 a.m. Having Monday mornings off takes a lot of the "Monday" off it.
My schedule has been all over the place lately, but I will often be off on Wednesdays, which takes a lot of the sting out of the whole work week.
The job I applied for recently has long shifts that usually mean a day off in the middle of the week. Just one of many reasons that I want it bad.

sigh

My last permanent job, I had Wednesdays off, except during the busy season. The income reduction was well worth the added time I had to devote to [bleep] that I actually give a [bleep] about.
The only downside to having a day off during the week is that anything I have to do outside of work usually has to get done that day. That's a problem if I'm not feeling particularly well. But it's a fair trade-off.
The best thing about mid-week tasks is that customarily, all the other slobs you'd have to wait in line behind on a weekend are still stuck at work. tongue
Not around here, unfortunately.
With my travel schedule lately, even weekend days off don't matter much since I'm still on the road.
Posted By: .. Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/22/10 05:49 PM
Thats what I like about my work cycle, 6 days on then 6 days off. Rarely a problem getting things done.
That's pretty impressive.
I work alternating four-day and six-day work weeks: Monday through Saturday; off Sunday; Monday through Thursday; off Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I've done that for so long that I wonder what people who don't have a weekday off do. Among other things, that Friday off is the day I go to the CBS, so I always get two weeks' worth. I also always pick up some Archie comics for my mom. She loves Archie.
Not literally, but figuratively this is my pretty much my work life...

I's the b'y that builds the boat
And I's the b'y that sails her
I's the b'y that catches the fish
And brings them home to Lizer
Hip yer partner, Sally Thibault
Hip yer partner, Sally Brown
Fogo, Twillingate, Moreton's Harbour
All around the circle!
(where's Deddy when you need him?)
Bunny with a pancake on its head!
Sods and rinds to cover your flake
Cake and tea for supper
Codfish in the spring o' the year
Fried in maggoty butter.
Okay, I think I get it now -- you guys are posting sea shanties?
"Shanty" is one of those words which really sounds like it out to be something naughty... but isn't.
Only the most famous Newfoundland folk song ever... Deddy can explain better when he gets here. Pretty sad kitchen party without Deddy, since he's bringin the Screech.

I don't want your maggoty fish
That's no good for winter
I could buy as good as that
Down in Bonavista.
Thanks for explaining, Tamper Lad.

Folk music in general is one of those things I respect more than actually listen to. But that's just my opinion.

And hopefully, next time I won't be feeling so lazy and I'll actually post the picture of the bunny with the pancake on its head.
Sometimes it's OK to leave things to the imagination.
The only shanty I remember is the one about accountancy. I was sort of accountant-like there for a year or so, back when I was still a "permanent" employee.

"I'll scribble away, and balance the books..."
Years ago, when I lived in Boston, I frequented a piano bar, now long-since closed. There was a man who used to go there who was possibly the ugliest man I've ever seen and who had a voice that sounded vaguely like Jimmy Durante's. Somehow, he managed to get the pianists to let him sing solos regularly. One of his regular songs was "In a Shanty in Old Shanty Town".
I'm forever getting the word "shanty" confused with the word " shandy ."

shocked
Posted By: .. Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 08/23/10 05:45 AM
All this sea shanty talk makes me feel like a pirate!

Time to fire up Vuse!
Sounds like a good time to re-post my '08 Halloween pic:
click to enlarge
the Dread Pirate Rocky!
That was that year's Halloween theme at work. Last year we were cowpersons. This year, we're talking about dressing as fairy tale characters, or, library parlance, the 398.2s.
You should dress up as librarians. The women would have their hair in buns with a pencil holding it in place and they all wear high collar white blouses with gray skirts. The guys wear a teed jacket with patches on the elbows, a bow tie, and half moon glasses.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
wouldn't that defeat the purpose of dressing up for Halloween?
That and, even though none of us dresses like that ordinarily, I don't think the public would get it.
Well, you would just have to walk around with your finger over your mouth going "Shhhhhh! Shush!"
So they'd just think we were behaving normally but had adopted a frumpy style of dress. Actually, "Please walk!" is probably more commonly heard than shushing.
how about dressing up as fast-food employees?
When I was a librarian, I treated every day as Halloween. Ever since the mid-90s, when I developed my goth-glam-ghoul-girl look insipired by Shirley Manson, the lead singer of Garbage.

It didn't put patrons at ease, but I didn't think I was there to look the way they wanted me to look, I was there to either check out or check in library materials. A lot of people refused to let me wait on them, which upset me at the time. But I'm not bitter anymore. These days, I do all my work over the phone, so that eliminates any appearance-related awkwardness.
Somehow, I think we'll stick with the fairy tale theme.
I own a Beanie-Babies unicorn named Fairy Tale.
Somehow, I think we'll stick with the fairy tale theme.
Couldn't I be an enchanted librarian? wink

Lord knows, it would take some kind of enchantment to make my hair stay up as depicted in the image Quis posted. Either that, or an entire gross of hairpins and two cartons of hairspray.
If you were an enchanted librarian, you could magically silence noisy patrons by making a strip of tape appear over their mouths.
Does this happen to you very quite often?
No. In real life, I'm very quiet. The internet brings out a whole other side of me. One that I'm not always proud of, I must admit. shocked
I'm a lot shyer in real life, too. I often come across as being very outgoing, but I'm actually scared to death of starting conversations with people I don't know in unstructured social settings.
IRL, if you asked me, "Are you outgoing or introverted," my likely answer would be, "What day is it?"

tongue
Rocky, I'm the same way about conversations with strangers in awkward circumstances. That's one of the reasons I don't like riding elevators.
Usually when I'm in an elevator with people I don't know, I only say what is necessary to be polite ("Five, please"; "Excuse me" etc.).
I'm partial to Zippy's conversation starter: "Are we having fun yet?" laugh

And it just hit me: I don't think I've worked in any establishment that has elevators in about a year now. Weird.
It's been seven-and-a-half since I worked in a building with an elevator. That was when I left our Central Library and went to managing a branch.
There's a German horror movie about an elevator titled "The Lift." It's one of the few 80s horror movies I haven't seen yet.
The elevators in the building I work in could be from a German horror movie, with all the random stopping and starting.
The only elevator I was ever trapped in was in Germany.
I was trapped in an elevator for 45 minutes with a colleague once. We played Twenty Questions to pass the time.
I secretly always wanted to live on the 13th Floor. laugh
Viewed from certain angles the Robarts Library at U of Toronto resembles an upside down rocket ship with its nose planted into the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robarts_Library
I wish my library looked like the Legion Clubhouse!
I'm squinting at those pics like crazy, but I'm just not seeing the rocketship.

shrug

Perhaps more coffee is in order?
You have to get two secondary buildings attached via skyways in frame. They look like booster rockets.

Resuming our tour of Canadian libraries, this is the main hall of the Toronto Reference Library . You can see the dual glass elevators in the center. At the bottom of the frame over the circulation desk you can see the piece of art Ramona Flowers ripped off its hinges to defend herself when she was attacked by Knives Chau in Scott Pilgrim v2.
I'm squinting at those pics like crazy, but I'm just not seeing the rocketship.

shrug

Perhaps more coffee is in order?
I've been there, and seen it from various angles. I, too, do not see it.
My library, on the other hand, has a swooshy roof.
Perhaps I imagine too much from the brutalist concrete. Moving out of the city, we can continue our tour of Canadian libraries.

This one is close to my heart as it is located at my alma mater (Queen's University) at scenic Kingston Ontario. Stauffer Library was where I spent many a day <strike> looking at bonnie lassies</strike> studying sin auld lang syne.

Opened in 1994, it is a gothic-styled structure clad in limestone (as all of the Uni's recent buildings are) to match the older pre-modernist buildings on campus. The exterior resembles a castle, with the south battlement intended as a patio. The area was closed in the first month of operation when engineering students created their own circulation system for books from the battlement. Inside, the library is dominated by a grand spiral staircase which provides the atrium a view of those ascending to the quieter upper levels.
The first library I managed was called the Ring Library and it is indeed round.
Speaking of oddly shaped buildings. There's no building stranger than the Sharp Centre for Design at the Ontario College of Art & Design .

It's signature building is shaped like a vinyl eraser supported by twelve pencil crayons. I believe the diagonal orange support is the stairway to access the building.
Where on your tour is Library of Parliament in Ottawa, Tampy? A truly beautiful bookspace.
I was gonna hit Ottawa next because I lived there for several years. I'll talk about the fire. But before we hit that gothic cathedral that is the Parliament of Canada we have to go to the Library I used when I was in Ottawa.
A former colleague of mine got a job at Ottawa Public Library. A requirement of all their public service staff is that they must be fully bilingual (English/French).
One of the most recognizable building silhouettes in Canada is the Centre Block on Parliament Hill.

The current Centre Block is actually not the original building, That building burned to the ground in 1916. In fact the only part of the original Canadian that remains is the Library of Parliament located opposite of the Peace Tower at the back of the building directly adjacent to the Ottawa River.

This building contains the green-carpeted House of Commons and the red-carpteted Senate. Echoing the Mother Parliaments at Westminister, Parliament is opened in a ceremony whereby the Monarch, (or more commonly the Governor General acting as the Vice-Regal Representative) sitting in the Speaker's Throne in the Senate sends the Usher of the Black Rod from the Senate to the opposite end of the Building where the Usher bangs on the barred door of the House of Commons to summon the Speaker of the House and the assembled MPs to the Senate Chamber to hear the speech from the throne. This speech delivered by the Monarch or Governor-General outlines the Prime Minister's agenda for the next parliamentary session.
When I lived in Michigan in the late '90s, I used to love watching this on the sign-off on the CBC station from Windsor.
O Canada was a controversial choice for National Anthem. Many Ontarians would have preferred the Maple Leaf Forever but the lyrics of that song are not acceptable to French Canada.

If you watch old Canadian WWII newsreels they will almost always have the Maple Leaf Forever in the soundtrack as opposed to O Canada. However these days the song is pretty much only sung in this form by arch-monarchists and those who still want the Red Ensign to be be the National Flag.
Canada should do the right thing and adopt "Free Will" by Rush as the new National Anthem.
I really like "O Canada". It's much easier to sing than the "Star-Spangled Banner", which, of course, is sung to the tune of a German drinking song.
Every fourth of July, I like to open the windows at my place and crank Jimi Hendrix's version of the "Star Spangled Banner".
The first video shown on VH1 was Marvin Gaye -- with whom I share a birthday -- performing the "Star-Spangled Banner."
Garrison Keillor always makes a big deal about singing the "Star-Spangled Banner" in the key of G Major, which makes the high notes reachable by altos and basses. Of course, it also makes the low notes unreachable by many sopranos and tenors. You really can't win with that song.
True enough.

I've long felt the US should just switch to Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land", a much better and easier to sing piece of music overall.
I've long felt we should just make the old Batman TV show theme song the new Anthem. shrug
Only if they include Woody's verse about "Private Property". tongue
"This Land" would work, though when I was a kid I disliked the part about "from California to the New York Islands" because I lived in Massachusetts.

"American the Beautiful" would have been a far better choice than "The Star-Spangled Banner".

I'm also very partial to "Life Ev'ry Voice and Sing", which is referred to as the African-American National Anthem.
"America the Beautiful" is a good one.

For that matter, I'm also fond of Chuck Berry's "Livin' In The USA".
There are a few others that come up.

"My Country 'Tis of Thee", of course, would be troublesome because it uses the same tune as "God Save the Queen".

"National Hymn" ("God of Our Fathers") is too overtly religious to be a song for all people, though the tune is very catchy.

"God Bless America" is, well, a little cheesy.

If I had to pick, I think I'd still go with "America the Beautiful".
My nominee remains "Proud To Be An American" by The Tubes.

laugh
The "Stars and Stripes Forever" with "Be kind to your web-footed friends" as the lyrics - lively, with a positive message.

I could never think up a good Canadian national anthem. O Canada is a snoozer.
Of course, if we're talking national anthems, "La Marseillaise" may be my very favorite. That's a lot of fun to sing!
The part about watering our fields with the impure blood of the Germans gets you right there.
We should just split the difference and sing our own national anthem in French. Not that my French is so great (I think "B+" was my peak in that regard), but think of the scandal it would cause with the punditocracy!

angel Devil
Maybe "American Idiot" could be our national anthem! wink
We should just split the difference and sing our own national anthem in French. Not that my French is so great (I think "B+" was my peak in that regard), but think of the scandal it would cause with the punditocracy!
Belive it or not, Cleome, it's already been translated:

La Bannière Étoilée,
l'hymne national américain
(The Star Spangled Banner)
(Trad., P.D., French words David Émile Marcantel)

O dites, voyez-vous
Dans la lumière du jour
Le drapeau qu'on saluait
À la tombée de la nuit ?
Dont les trois couleurs vives
Pendant la dure bataille
Au-dessus des remparts
Inspiraient notre pays.
Et l'éclair des fusées,
Des bombes qui explosaient,
DĂ©montraient toute la nuit
Que le drapeau demeurait.
Est-ce que la bannière étoilée
Continue toujours Ă  flotter
Au-dessus d'une nation brave,
Terre de la liberté ?
Tsk. And posting this sort of thing while on the public payroll, too. Those anti-library zealots were right all along. shake
Yeah.

We should translate our anthem back into Freedom to show them what for.
Actually, I posted that during my lunch break! tease
That won't matter to the punditocracy, though. They care not for things like facts.

Also, they need to inspect your lunch to make sure you're not dining too lavishly on the public dime. Did you really need to buy imported cheese for that sandwich?
Public dime is about right. When you divide when the citizens of my fair city pay in taxes per year and then take the small part that goes to support the Library and then take the part of that which actually goes toward my salary, I'd actually give them change from a dime.
But the question remains: How do you afford all that imported cheese?
We need to appoint a special commission to investigate corruption amongst librarians. I suspect they have been manipulating the Holds and Interbranch Loans systems for personal gain.
I used Gain Detergent for many years, but lately I've been using Arm and Hammer liquid.
I don't like cheese.
It speaks highly of you.
I'm actually supposed to re-draw a chalkboard that hangs over the cooler at the co-op where I volunteer. They try and change them over when the seasons are about to change.

Since the cooler has cheese, wine, and fruit in it, I was thinking of drawing a big wheel of cheese floating in the sky-- a la' that song by Journey. What do you guys think?
Now I've got Steve Perry crooning "cheese in the sky keeps on churning" going through my head. tongue
<font face="chalkboard"><span style="font-size: 19px;">Then my work here is done!</font f></span>

<span style="font-size: 11px;">[Rody the Super-rat smilie goes here]</span>
One of Julian Cope's B-sides is titled "I Went on a Chourney" (misspelling of "Journey" deliberate.)
I'm sure I came across Julian Cope's music back in the day, but for the life of me can't recall what.
Cope's one Top 100 hit single in the States was "World Shut Your Mouth," from 1986. In the early-through-mid-90s, he enjoyed critical acclaim and a fair amount of rotation for his music videos.
Speaking of the Eighties, anyone else remember Juluka's Scatterlings LP?

"Ploughed the moon reached an island
Balanced on the edge of the sky
But something always stayed the same
Deep down inside
No matter where I've been the places don't count
Summer in a mountain town
No matter where I've been the places don't count
And I feel let down
'Cause nobody told me

Spirit is the journey
Body is the bus
I am the driver
From dust to dust
Spirit is a story
Body is a book
I am the writer
Together we flow
We hold on, and when the story ends
We hold on, until it begins again
We hold on, we hold on...

I never knew I had one
Till I saw yours shine
Spilling from your laughter
Sparkling in your eyes
Sharing my confusion, sharing my surprise
At finding part of me in you, alive
'Cause nobody told me

Spirit is the journey
Body is the bus
I am the driver
From dust to dust
Trying to be near you
Searching for a way
Listening to your life song
Before it fades away
We hold on, and when the story ends
We hold on, we hold on.

Spirit is the journey
Body is the bus
I am the driver from dust to dust
Now I'm falling, falling away
I hear you calling, calling my name
Spirit move on, move on
Pass my eyes on, on to the next one
I will be long gone, long gone
Across the distance, this divide
I will be with you forever
Till you reach the other side
So hold on, sing this life song
Sing "hold on, hold on, hold on
Hold on!"
Also speaking of the 80s, that None-More-80s movie, "Back to the Future," just started on Nick.

Even I won't try to defend that piece of crap.
Eh. I didn't think it was all that bad.

Then again, I'm supposed to love John Hughes a ton, but I don't.
I think '80s teen movies were best when they dealt with teens who felt alienated. I was a teen in the '80s and I sure felt alienated. Of course, I still do. sigh
One magazine, either Newsweek or Time, once described John Hughes' sensibilities as "a bad combination of National Lampoon and Norman Rockwell." lol
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
<strong> I think '80s teen movies were best when they dealt with teens who felt alienated. I was a teen in the '80s and I sure felt alienated. Of course, I still do. hug for Rocky.
Originally posted by Ramble Damsel:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
<strong> I think '80s teen movies were best when they dealt with teens who felt alienated. I was a teen in the '80s and I sure felt alienated. Of course, I still do. hug for Rocky.
me, too.... maybe all of us who came of age in the 80s share a mutual syndrome.

hug hug all around!
Thanks, Kent. smile hug

I hope the next generation has an easier time of it. My cousin's kids give me hope that they will.
Hey you kids! Get off of my lawn!!!!!!
you don't have a lawn.
You can't HANDLE a lawn!
Really a lawn is a pretty silly convention. It's a small plot of grass that is supposed to resemble what exactly?

I've never understood the whole garden thing.
We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound. Our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color. We live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!
Speaking of witches, I'm currently researching and writing a fanfic about...a witch. Spooky.
Spooky was a ghost--he was Casper's cousin. Wendy was a witch.
LOL

True, true.

I'd love it if a compilation of Wendy the Good Little Witch stories would be published.
Really a lawn is a pretty silly convention. It's a small plot of grass that is supposed to resemble what exactly?

I've never understood the whole garden thing.
Lawns ARE stoopid.

But gardens are faaaaaaabulous! Especially Xeriscapes, because during the summer they don't need water. I want a Xeriscaped front yard soooooo bad!
I read Harvey Comics when I was a kid. I wonder how they would hold up now. We've discussed this elsewhere, but I particularly wonder how Hot Stuff the Little Devil even managed to get published without someone somewhere raising a big stink about an overtly demonic character.
BTW, didja' know that they updated Caspar and Wendy?
That's rather disturbing, but it might work.
I think some of those were written by J.M. DeMatteis. I may have to see if there are any trades over at the library.
My favorite comment regarding Harvey Comics were Lash's immortal words:

Originally posted by MLLASH:
Alls I'm sayin' is, if Jackie Jokers was straight, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

He was the gayest thing since gay came to Gaytown!
Wasn't there a commercial that used to use the slogan "Give your kid the devil" or something lie that? I always thought that was a little bizarre.
That's a new one on me, EDE. I really liked Underwood Deviled Ham as a kid, though. Now just the thought of it makes me go shudder .
Apparently it was an Underwood commercial, though the only references I seem to be able to find for it on line are people asking if anyone remembers it!
never liked Underwood meats, even as a kid.
That would explain why only my growth was stunted. shake
I don't think I've ever tried Underwood.
Eh. You're not missing much. You can take good-quality ham, a food processor, and some condiments (mustard, mayo, some form of pickle) and make your own version-- if you're into that sort of thing. Soooo much better.
I don't think I've ever tried Blair Underwood.
Well, never say never. If you run into him on the subway and he seems game, just remember: It's not the size of the food processor. It's the capacity and the quality of the goods in the hopper.

Or something.
But I don't have a food processor.
Well, the key then is to find out whether the celeb of your choice has one at home. If yes, you just have to hint to him that you'd really like to see it sometime. If no... well, when Sharky gets back from his vacation, have him explain to you all about how to set up one of those Pampered Chef parties.

(I should have my own advice column, damnit!)
(I should have my own advice column, damnit!)
Be careful what you wish for around here.
The "Questions With Up To 50% More Inanity Than The Leading Brand" thread?
and then some!
I warned you.
He did.
I did.

I really, really did.
Pickering
Tonight, old man, you did it
You did it...You did it
You said that you would do it
And indeed you did
I thought that you would rue it
I doubted you'd do it
But now I must admit it
That succeed you did
You should get a medal
Or be even made a knight

Henry
It was nothing
Really nothing

Pickering
All alone you hurdled
Ev'ry obstacle in sight

Henry
Now, wait...Now, wait
Give credit where it's due
A lot of the glory goes to you
shake

I know you guys thought that Kent had succeeded in killing the thread, but really. No need to get all snippy.

Anyway, I'll be off earning something that vaguely resembles a living today. I'll see about answering your questions tomorrow. If you can't wait that long, talk to Rody. I left half a wheel of Machego cheese in the fridge for him if he's willing to serve as my understudy.

Later. [smooch]
I traded the cheese for a bag of potato chips. I traded the potato chips for the latest issue of People magazine. I traded the People magazine for tickets to a summer stock production of Annie Get Your Guns. I traded the tickets for an Ipod. I traded the Ipod for a pair of Nike running shoes (size 10 1/2). I traded the running shoes for 10 oil painting lessons. I traded the lessons for a weekend on Cape Cod. I traded the weekend on Cape Cod for a jet-ski. I traded the jet-ski for tickets to a Lady Gaga concert and an invite to the after show party. I traded Lady Gaga for a 2008 Mazda Miata.

But then I got hungry and traded the Mazda Miata for a half a wheel of Machego cheese.
Couldn't you have just driven to the store in the Miata and bought some cheese?
And give up the bartering life?????
Welcome to the 21st Century, Quis! laugh
Hope you survive the experience.
If Kitty Pryde can, so can I.
That's the kind of thinking that leads you to bump into walls.
hopefully Quis won't be chased by the Juggernaut, though.
That would be fun to watch, though.
That reminds of Aunt Clara trying to walk through walls on Bewitched and always bumping her nose.
The similarities between Aunt Clara and myself ends with our doorknob collections.
Are you certain?
I'm pretty sure Marion Lorne didn't win a posthumous Emmy for playing Quis.
It could have been a homage.
Wouldn't it be more likely that Quis would do an homage to Marion Lorne (albeit not that likely) than vice-versa?
Can we reanimate her and see who imitates whom first?
Reanimate her how?
You read comic books. There are countless ways to bring back a dead person.
Name sixty-two.
oy. you should not have said that...
I dare much.
Daring would have entailed rhyming "homage" and "fromage" at least one page back.
Are you sure you aren't confusing "daring" with "silly"?

Both have their benefits.
Around here?

Say it ain't so!
Daring would have entailed rhyming "homage" and "fromage" at least one page back.
After dinner and un peu de fromage,
We all watched Miner do his Elvis homage.
Miner's Elvis homage is the real reason the Soviet Union fell apart.
Thank yew.

Thank yew vurry much.
Which Elvis? The Young-Elvis-in-a-Blazer, the Comeback-Special-Elvis-in-Black-Leather or the Older-Elvis-in-a-White-Jumpsuit?
Rather than ruin the surprise, you should just wait until you can see his show for yourself.
I got invited to contribute something to an Elvis tribute mini-comic once, and for the life of me I couldn't think of anything. Some of the other stories were really good, though.
My mother is a huge Elvis fan. I think I'd seen all of his movies by the time I was ten. They all kind of blur together, except for the earliest and latest ones, which generally had more of a plot. A couple of years ago Change of Habit came on TV. That was his final movie (not counting a documentary that appeared a few years later). It co-starred Mary Tyler Moore as a nun.
Trying to incorporate Elvis song titles into all of your posts is extremely hard.
Oh, EDE, don't be cruel! wink
Now you're just steppin' out of line.
good work, guys. now we're caught in a trap.
band

Don't don't don't let's start
This is the worst part
Could believe for all the world
That you're my precious little girl
But don't don't don't let's start
I've got a weak heart
And I don't get around how you get around

When you are alone you are the cat, you are the phone
You are an animal
The words I'm singing now
Mean nothing more than meow to an animal
Wake up and smell the cat food in your bank account
But don't try to stop the tail that wags the hound

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need apostrophe
T, need this torture?
This is fun! I can't help falling in love Legion World! love
I'm waiting for the Weird Al parody of that song Quis posted: "Donut, Let's Start"
Weird Al wouldn't think of parodying any They Might Be Giants song.

No means no
No is always no
When they say no,
it means a thousand times no

No plus no equals no
All roads lead to no no no

Finger pointing, eyebrows low
Mouth in the shape of the letter O
Red means stop,
Do not go,
No, no, no.

Pardon me -- No!
Excuse me -- No!
May I stay?
Can I go?
No, no, no

Do this -- No!
Don't do that -- No!
Sit, stay, roll over
No, no, no

Finger pointing, eyebrows low
Mouth in the shape of the letter O
Red means stop. Do not go.
No, no, no
Why am I craving peanut butter and banana sandwiches all of a sudden? I don't even like peanut butter and bananas together...

confused
Of course, They Might Be Giants covered a song originally made famous by a group that would go over well on Legion World: The Four Lads:

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople

Istanbul
It's been said the name Istanbul was a linguistic corruption of Constantinople.
This thread has become a Turkish delight!
Yildiray Cinar!
Yildiray Cinar!
Yildiray Cinar!
They better not kick him upstairs to a more prestigious job now that I can finally remember how to spell his name.
I remember eating Turkish delight for the first time. It was good, but I wouldn't have sold my soul for it, unlike Edmund Pevensie.
Back when I lived in New Paltz, we had a fantastic Turkish restaurant.
A common Spanish-language word for "turkey" (the bird) is "pavo", which actually means "peacock". In countries where that is common, a peacock is referred to as "pavo real".
In the Spanish dub of "Dynomutt" that I grew up watching, "Blue Falcon" was VERY loosely translated into "Pavo Real." lol
"Jive Turkey" was a very, er poorly thought-out superhero from Schoolastic's Dynamite magazine.

(In keeping with FL's comments elsewhere about retrospectively embarrassing moments in pop culture.) shake
Ah, Dynamite! It was kind of like People for kids, but mildly educational. It was a fun magazine.
It's just your jive talkin'
you're telling me lies, yeah
Jive talkin'
you wear a disguise
Jive talkin'
so misunderstood, yeah
Jive talkin'
You really no good

Oh, my child
You'll never know
Just what you mean to me
Oh, my child
You got so much
You're gonna take away my energy

With all your jive talkin'
You're telling me lies, yeah
Good lovin'
Still gets in my eyes
Nobody believes what you say
That gets in the way

Oh my love
You're so good
Treating me so cruel
There you go
with your fancy lies
Leavin' me lookin'
like a dumbstruck fool
with all your

Jive talkin'
You're telling me lies, yeah
Jive talkin'
You wear a disguise
Jive talkin'
so misunderstood, yeah
Jive talkin'
you just ain't no good

Love talkin'
is all very fine, yeah
Jive talkin'
Just isn't a crime
And if there's somebody
You'll love till you die
then all that jive talkin'
just gets in your eye

Jive talkin'
You're telling me lies,yeah
Good lovin'
Still gets in my eyes
Nobody believes what you say
That gets in the way

Love talkin'
Is all very fine, yeah
Jive talkin', just isn't a crime
and if there's somebody
You'll love till you die
then all that jive talkin'
just gets in your eye

Jive talkin'
Ah, Dynamite! It was kind of like People for kids, but mildly educational. It was a fun magazine.
good description! I can still remember the Space:1999 cover.
Do you know what issue that was? My roommate is a huge Space:1999 fan
According to Wikipedia, it was issue #25, July 1976.
sounds about the right timing, assuming a July cover-date came out months earlier. I remember bringing it to school when it was new, sometime in second grade (Sept 75-June 76).
If there's never been a garage band called "Moonbase Alpha," we should start one.
Miner would probably know.
My alternate choice, inspired by another blog, would be calling ourselves The Underwhelming Gnomes.
I always thought "St. Vincent and the Grenadines" would be a cool band name, though there's a small country that might object.
My 90s-grunge band name (sorry, Fanfie!), if I ever had one, would have been The Dimestore Gurus.
I always thought "St. Vincent and the Grenadines" would be a cool band name, though there's a small country that might object.
Dang it, Rocky! Now I'm craving a homemade lemonade turned pink with Pomegranate Grenadine syrup. I had a bottle of the stuff once, but it's so not in my budget right now.

shake It's always the quiet ones who end up causing the most trouble...
Although I would never do drag, my drag name would be Helena Handbasket.
Aha! another alt revealed!
See, this is why my alt has to be a guy. To keep the very fabric of the universe from getting unsightly runs at the shins just before that big job interview.
cleome's alt is going to be naked.
Yeah, but with one of those 80's skinny ties, and Lennon bottle glasses.
My alt is also male, though he doesn't appear that often.

As for drag, I did drag once (and only once). My name was Rita Book.
A drag name for me? I dunno, Lardella? shrug

Anyhow, speaking of funny grunge band names, I thought The Simpsons absolutely nailed it with Homer's old grunge band: Sadgasm! Love their hit song "Pain Is Love"!
I own so much menswear, I'm pretty much in drag all the time. tease
cleome's drag king name should be Jon Quil.

Chief Taylor, how about Larda Woman? (Larda Woman = Lot of Woman)
For Lardy, how about Señorita Manteca ("Miss Lard")?
I can imagine "her" debut disc now: More Songs About <strike>Poop</strike> Buildings & Pie.

Then a musical collaboration off-Broadway with John Waters.
I prefer the original John Waters version of Hairspray over the movie version of the Broadway show. Although I think the latter did the protest bit much better.
I haven't seen either all the way through. Just one more reason that I Fail At Hipness Forever. shocked
It's okay, Cleome. We're on an Internet message board dedicated to a comic book many people don't know exists. "Hipness" is not a common power on Legion World.

hug
I've never seen either version.
Divine was much better than John Travolta.
Maybe s/he should remake Battlefield: Earth.
Sad to say, I have seen that one. The tragedy is that there was no weed involved, and there should've been.

shake
On your part or on the part of the filmmakers?
I'd say both, frankly. shake
Unfortunately Kent, Divine is no longer with us.
But inside everyone is a spark of Divine! wink
I guess I know what we'll be watching first at the next Legion World Cinema Symposium.

CyclopeanCreature
I vote for Europa Europa.
How about The Queen of Outer Space or Super Fuzz?
So many classics to choose from...

Mars Needs Women! The Three Stooges on Venus! Rocket Ship X-9!

Anybody bring popcorn?
Popcorn is good, but fresh-boiled edamane (soy) beans are even better as home-viewing snacks. In either case, the cats are happy to munch on whatever's accidentally dropped on the floor.
My mother loves edamame. I introduced her to it a while back and now it's one of her favorite foods. My dog is also very fond of it.
soy!???

puke puke puke
Get thee to a Japanese restaurant, O Unbeliever!
I remember reading about tofu when I was little and wondering what it was like. I'm very fond of it, but it's nothing like what I imagined "soybean curd" would taste like.
Same thing happened with me when I replaced milk with soymilk in my diet.
I thought it would taste more like green beans or bean sprouts or something.
When I first started drinking whey shakes, I could really taste it. Now I don't.
You get used to it after a while.

If I try drinking regular milk now, I can really taste the sugar.
for a while, I was drinking Rice Dream. The vanilla kind was pretty good.
I still think it's funny that Time magazine once breathlessly warned that soy milk would "ruin a good cup of coffee." I prefer the taste of soy milk in coffee to the taste of either milk or cream in coffee, personally.

Bearing in mind that Time magazine once also claimed that David Bowie authored the first disco song. shake
I don't know that I've ever tried soy milk in coffee. I've tried it in tea and it didn't work for me.

On the other hand, I very much liked it with breakfast cereal.
I've found it to be fantastic with breakfast cereal and good in coffee. Never tried it with tea.
I remember telling a coworker a few years ago that I liked milk in hot tea. She had never heard of anyone drinking it that way. Of course, it took me years of living in Texas before I got comfortable asking for "hot tea". To me, tea is, by default, a hot beverage. Iced tea, which enjoy (though not with milk), needs a qualifier.

On the other hand, the one time I went to England, I remember being on the plane before we landed and the flight attendants were walking down the aisles with their carts with pitchers of the hot stuff at the ready and thinking "I'm going to love this country!"
A couple of years ago I was on the subway and overheard two teenaged girls talking. One said "It's called iced tea. It tastes like tea but it's cold."
I recall seeing carbonated iced tea in the British isles years ago.
That sounds horrible.
My favorite "overheard on the subway" moment was when I lived in Boston and heard a female college student say the following:

"I don't know why my dad won't let me drive the Mercedes! I mean, I'm 19 years old! What does he think is going to happen?".

I love it when people answer their own questions.
I remember during the Boston meet-up of 05, a whole bunch of us got off the T at Harvard, heading for a Chinese restaurant. Pretty much each and every panhandler were better dressed than I was.
In a similar vein, overhearing conversations and social distinctions is just great. I love listening to half of a cellphone conversation.

The most enjoyable ones always go like this. "What do you mean you don't know that guy? He's your sister's babydaddy. Yah that guy, "

So everyone please air your family's dirty laundry by talking louder into your phone.
I remember during the Boston meet-up of 05, a whole bunch of us got off the T at Harvard, heading for a Chinese restaurant. Pretty much each and every panhandler were better dressed than I was.
I am in cambridge right now ... and a punk panhandler is singing an opera outside my hotel room. and theres a huge crowd of j crew wearing peeps for an audience.
How long at you going to be in Cambridge, Power Boy?
I spent my first twelve years in Belmont, which is just to the west of Cambridge.
I was in Harvard Square today
Oh if I had just been distracted for another 3 minutes.
Actually, Quis, it would have to be another two hours and three minutes--but who's counting? wink laugh
So it would have. I was just looking at the time stamp on your post and the time on my computer, not the time stamp on my post.
Toshiko Akiyoshi Trio: "Tempus Fugit" (A Bud Powell composition.)

TimeTrapper Shikari
"Tempus Fugit", of course, means "time flies".

My favorite variation on that is "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies prefer a banana."
Fruit flies are known in taxonomy as Drosophila melanogaster.

Ah for the simple days of my youth breeding the fruit flies to learn about Mendelian inheritance.
Many of my female friends prefer the term "fruit fly" to the more pejorative-sounding "hag" term.
I suspect that they would prefer to be called "Nancy" or "Maria" (provided they are named Nancy or Maria) to being called a fruit fly.
I think I just prefer "buddy." The androgyny makes it more mysterious. laugh
Or you could call yourself "Pat".
I really hate it when someone is named Laurie and I have to write business correspondence to them.
I worked with a woman who was in her late 40s and went by "Candy".
Tamper, I don't think I've ever met a man named Laurie. Of course, there were a lot of names that were once more commonly male names that have more or less become female names: Ashley, Leslie, Robin and Shirley, for example.
I knew a guy named Shirley
In the cases of Ashley, Laurie and Shirley, they were originally surnames and it was at one time very common to name boys with a family surname as a given name--for example, a mother's or grandmother's maiden name. What I don't get is names like "Hunter" as a given name,unless they are family names.
According to Behind the Name web site, "Hunter" does come from a surname.

Also according the the web site, "Robert" comes from the German "Hrodebert" meaning bright fame. "John" comes originally from the Hebrew "Yochanan" meaning Yahweh is gracious.
Yes, "Hunter" is a surname, but I'd be willing to bet most of the tots running around with that name now have no relatives with that name. I don't object to surnames as given names per se. I object to surnames that have become trendy given names.
According to a friend of mine, one reason that people like giving androgynous names to girls is that it increases the chance that they'll be taken seriously in the business and/or academic world as they grow up.

shrug

Also, I never really gotten why "It's Pat" was so hilarious. I've known women who looked like that my whole life. I couldn't even pretend not to know that the person portraying the character was female.
I never saw the Pat movie and only a few of the SNL skits. But I think the humor was in all the other people trying to figure out Pat's gender withoug coming out and asking. The one I remember has Pat coming into a party. Kevin Nealon say "Hey Pat! All the women are having wine coolers and the guys are having beer. What would you like?" Pat then says "Oh I just took some cold medication so no alcohol for me."
They actually did get pretty clever in how they would word the queries to Pat. "Pat, you've just been born and the doctor says "It's a..."

"Baby!"
"Pat the Bunny" was first published in 1940 and has sold 7 million copies.
What sex was cousin It?
One would presume that Cousin Itt is male. He does wear a hat traditionally worn by men. In the TV show Morticia states that he is quite the ladies man. And in the two Addams Family movies, he ends up marrying a woman who subsequently bears him a child.
I loved it when Morticia asks "Do you mind if I smoke?" and then folds her arms and begins to emit smoke.
I considered calling for an All-Smoking Jacket Day on Legion world, but then I realized how tough it would be to fit my avatar into a smoking jacket. shake
I had a smoking jacket. I sprayed it with a hose and it stopped.
It was so cold here I saw a bee with a yellowjacket and a chicken with a capon.

I guess that joke doesn't work as well written down.
A lot of things lose in translation from spoken word to written word. A joke which is funny in person can sound sarcastic or rude online.
Hmm... I wonder if there are jokes which are funny online that would sound sarcastic or rude in person?
There likely are, depending on the person telling the joke.

In any case, I don't think funny and sarcastic are mutually exclusive.
Certainly not around here. poke
I would certainly hope not.
I once saw a wedding card that was all white and in ornate letters had "I heard you were getting married" on the front of the card. Inside it said "I didn't know you were pregnant" I think that would sound ruder if done verbally.
Rude either way, I should think.

Then again, I was not anywhere to be found when they were passing out Motherhood. shrug
P.S.- Quis, we all remember how you killed the last thread using a greeting card comment. You have to use something else this time. No rehashing of past triumphs allowed.
Rude either way, I should think.

Then again, I was not anywhere to be found when they were passing out Motherhood. shrug
Fortunately, neither was I.
It's definitely not for amateurs.
Or a lot of those who consider themselves professionals.
lol

The cats are as much parental responsibility as I can handle.
maybe a picture of random ninjas will kill this thread.

[Linked Image]
Those people look neither random nor ninjaesque.
Or maybe a picture of ninja cat

[Linked Image]
The second guy from the right in that Ninja photo reminds me of work the other day. One of the mid-level managers dresses pretty trendy, and he was in full-throttle my-designer-jeans-are-hanging-way-down-so-everyone-can-see-my-siren-red-designer-briefs-when-I'm leaning-over-to-grab-the-phone mode.

I was so tempted to go over, pat him on the shoulder and say, "Dude. C'mon. Hitch up your belt. I'm old enough to be your Mom. In fact, your Mom works here. Does she really want to walk by and see some other old woman seeing you with your Pants on the Groundâ„¢?"
"Staring at the swim team gets you killed by a gang of dancing ninja men who know how to twirl" is a line from literal video of "Total Eclipse of the Heart".
And all the world is football-shaped
It's just for me to kick in space
And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste
And I've got one, two, three, four, five
Senses working overtime
Trying to take this all in.
I've got one, two, three, four, five
Senses working overtime
Trying to taste the difference
'tween a lemon and a lime
Pain and the pleasure
And the church bells softly chime.
I have a fridge full of lemons that I bought on sale over the weekend. Tonight is vodka lemonade night, for sure. I don't care how foul the weather is.

FruitBoy
That's our Cleome. Life hands her lemons and she makes lemonade! laugh
Vodka use, lemons no.
The novel "Pollyanna" was written in 1913 by Eleanor H. Porter. The novel was so successful that it became a series of novels, the latest being published in 1997.
The 1960 film version of Polyanna had an incredible cast, including Jane Wyman, Karl Malden, Agnes Moorehead, Adolphe Menjou and Richard Egan. Hayley Mills, of course, played the title role.
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Vodka use, lemons no.
Kono
Lemon curry?
A one... two-- A one... two... three... four...
Half a bee, philosophically,
Must, ipso facto, half not be.
But half the bee has got to be
Vis a vis, its entity. D'you see?

But can a bee be said to be
Or not to be an entire bee
When half the bee is not a bee
Due to some ancient injury?

Singing...

La dee dee, one two three,
Eric the half a bee.
A B C D E F G,
Eric the half a bee.

Is this wretched demi-bee,
Half-asleep upon my knee,
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric the half a bee!

Fiddle de dum, Fiddle de dee,
Eric the half a bee.
Ho ho ho, tee hee hee,
Eric the half a bee.

I love this hive, employee-ee,
Bisected accidentally,
One summer afternoon by me,
I love him carnally.

He loves him carnally,
Semi-carnally.
The end.

Cyril Connelly?
No; semi-carnally!
Oh.

Cyril Connelly.
[whistling]
I saw a picture book at the library today called The Giant Jam Sandwich. It was a favorite of mine as a kid. It's about a small town overrun by wasps.
hmmm

I wonder if The Wasp likes to sneak downstairs to the Avengers' kitchen when everyone else is asleep and fix herself jam sandwiches, with maybe a nice glass of cold milk.
I remember that book, Rocky!
hmmm

I wonder if The Wasp likes to sneak downstairs to the Avengers' kitchen when everyone else is asleep and fix herself jam sandwiches, with maybe a nice glass of cold milk.
I bet Jarvis usually has them waiting for her. He's cool like that.
The original mascot for Cookie Crisp Cereal was a wizard named Cookie Jarvis.
Jarvis Cocker was the singer and main writer for the UK band Pulp, and maintains a low-key solo career. He also has a cameo in one of the Harry Potter movies.
My mom had a cocker spaniel when she was a little girl.
Both the dogs we had as kids were part-Beagle. I don't know how the trend emerged, but there you go...
[b] hmmm

I bet Jarvis usually has them waiting for her. He's cool like that. [/b]
Early in the Avengers, Jarvis betrayed them to some crooks. IIRC it was to cover some gambling debts he had. But the Avengers forgave him and kept him on as butler.
Early in the Avengers, Jarvis betrayed them to some crooks. IIRC it was to cover some gambling debts he had. But the Avengers forgave him and kept him on as butler.
Bah. I bet that's been retconned.
I'm so old, I remember when Jarvis wasn't a MACHINE!
One of the gay bars here in Boston is called Machine.
My favorite gay bar when I lived in Boston was the Napoleon Club. It was a quiet bar. Part of its crowd was older, giving it the nickname "The Wrinkle Room". That wasn't why I liked it, though. It also had a wonderful sing-along piano bar. There were actually three pianos in the place all together, in three different rooms, though no more than two ever played at a time. It had a little disco upstairs called Josephine's. Sadly it closed in 1998, about a year and a half after I moved away. I still miss it.
Sounds like it's time to open your own place, Rocky.

wink
there used to be a place like that at the end of the Castro in SF, we called it the 'Glass Casket' cause we were so nice and it had big windows all around. I used to run in there to use the toilet when wandering the streets as an 18 or 19 year old.

wow and a quick google search 'glass casket castro bar' surprises me that it's still there!!!! and next to a place called Hot Cookie.

hmmmph information age.

maybe you can go there Rocky ... and pseudo relive something or other.

no pianos though but you would definitely still be considered 'chicken' by far, if you catch my drift. by alot.

there also is a gay piano bar in l.a. and it looks to be a bit older but not elderly. called the other side. i've never been there though, to use the bathroom or otherwise. and i'm not sure if it has an clever nicknames.
There is a gay sports bar in the D.C. area that's very popular. Can't recall the name just now.
I seem to be quite popular in gay bars!

At least, more so than straight bars. frown
Posted By: .. Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 09/25/10 05:26 AM
back in the day, the best place to pick up ladies was at the local gay bar
One guy I knew insisted the best time to meet women was after a Chippendales performance.
I'm trying to remember the last time I was actually in a gay bar. I met a friend who was visiting from out of town at a little neighborhood bar around the corner back in January, but it's not specifically a gay bar, though it has a large gay clientele. I just don't go out much any more. shrug
I live in a town of Long Island that has tons of bars where folks from all over come to hang out... when people ask where I hang out, I'm always like, "Um, Starbucks or the cupcake place"...
"Cupcake's Place." It has a nice ring to it, bar-wise. I wonder if I could rehab my garage to accommodate a piano...

hmmm
there apparently was a drug dealer nicknamed Cupcake in the town I lived in around 2002-2005. I didn't know him, but the cops at one point thought a friend of mine was he. I was tempted to write a play, a mistaken-identity comedy, called "I'm Not Cupcake."
Cupcakes are currently a huge deal here, partially thanks to some reality TV show filmed in the area.
The early '80s cartoon Fonz and the Happy Days Gang was, of course, based on Happy Days. In it Fonzie, Richie and Ralph (voiced by Henry Winkler, Ron Howard and Donny Most) traveled through time in a time machine with a girl from the future named Cupcake (voiced by Didi Conn). She had magic powers that frequently went haywire. Also featured was Fonzie's anthropomorphic dog, Mr. Cool. The Fonz's finger snaps and "technical taps" became a sort of telekinesis.

It was as bad as it sounds.
Nothing could be as bad as that sounds. Unless it was that Osmond Brothers cartoon where their Japanese dog mascot spoke broken English all the time.

shake
No, I remember those and they weren't that bad.

Which is not to say they were good.
Take a moment and look at the clips:

Fonz and the Happy Days Gang

The Osmonds

Which is worse? Tough call.
[hides]

urk
There were a few bad Asian characters on Saturday morning.

There were the Chinese pandas Ping & Pong on the Brady Kids. Although the Brady Kids did feature Wonder Woman and Superman in separate episodes.

And then there was The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan Although I remember them having the kids (the Chan Clan) acting and sounding like American kids. But I am sure if I saw it again, I'd see some stereotypiing.
I loved Margaret Cho's routine about her show-biz aspirations as a kid watching American TV:

"Someday...I could be a hooker on *Vegas*!!"

"Thank You, Mistah Eddie's Fatha'!"
Also "An extra on MASH."
As far as The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan goes, there are some ethnic stereotypes, but it's not awful.

What struck me seeing it a couple years ago were two of the kids. Anne was a tomboy who wore a ball cap and a T-shirt and jeans (all the other girls in the family wore dresses). Alan was kind of quiet, bur he wore an outfit that included a bright pink vest and pink glasses. Those seem to be stereotypes of a different kind. wink
That's pretty funny, given that caps, t-shirts and jeans were pretty much the norm for girl's clothes by the 1970s, at least where I'm from.

"Cartoon logic." Gotta' love it.

I think that I might have had pink eyeglass frames once, back around the 3rd Grade or so... shake
When I was in 4th grade at recess I would play hopscotch with another boy.
Who usually won, though?
I can't remember. He was taller than me, so I think he had longer legs. I don't know if that helped him.
if you can't remember, you must have lost. tongue
I wonder if there'll be nul-grav hopscotch in the 31st century...

hmmm
I'm thinking four-dimensional Four Square, myself.
Just so it doesn't involve a lab full of goats. eek eek
Instead of "ashes, ashes", when we played "Ring Around the Rosie" when I was little, we said "hopscotch, hopscotch". I'm not sure why.
"Ring Around the Rosie" is such an innocent childrens game about the Black Death. Next you'll be telling me that in the original Cinderella, the wicked step-sisters get their eyes pecked out by birds.
Actually "Ring Around the Rosie" is not related to the Black Death at all. That's an urban legend.
Still, the wicked step-sister did get their eyes pecked out.
In the Brothers Grimm version, they did.

However, in earlier versions of the story, there was no eye-pecking.

And, of course, as every Legion fan should know, the "original" Cinderella was Rhodopis.
...which was not a spin-off of the Mary Tyler Moore Show, no matter what Quis says.
I never said it was. Do you know who should have gotten a spin-off series from the MAry Tyler Moore Show? Hazel Frederick. Who is Hazel Frederick you ask. She is the woman with the disapproving look watching Mary toss her hat in the air.

[Linked Image]
...just don't ask where she was when JFK was shot.
When I visited Minneapolis a few years ago, I, of course, had to do my homage to Ms. Moore:

click to enlarge
I'm still haunted by that pic where MTM and Dick Van Dyke celebrated the "anniversary" of their fictional characters by posing in bondage gear.

Grimbor
I couldn't find that picture. (Are you sure it was Dick & Mary and not the Avengers?)

I did find the picture of Mary bodysurfing out of the closet on walnuts.

[Linked Image]

You can see the full episode It May Look Like a Walnut on IMDB
In 1969, MTM co-starred with Elvis Presley in his final dramatic role in Change of Habit. She played a nun who falls in love with Elvis' character.
That was a good movie. But I preferred Ms. Tyler Moore in "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" with George Peppard.
Quis, all I can tell you is that the pic was in my then-HM's issue of Spy magazine, sometime in the mid-to-late Nineties. <span style="font-size: 12px;">I think</span>.

Anyway, the walnut picture is much better. love
Ohmygod! Mary Tyler Like Moore is so old! You old folks need to latch on to some newer more happening actors, like Kristen Falkner or Jessie Jayne Jett.
I doubt either of them would body surf on walnuts from a closet.
I had walnuts on my salad at lunch. It was all very vegan.
This walnut ad is almost seasonal...
Yesterday while I was at lunch, the Ontario Superior Court ruled that provisions of the Criminal Code of Canada banning, "Keeping of a Common Bawdy House", "Living off the Avails of" and "Communicating for the purpose of Prostitution" are unconsitutional as they force sex-workers to work in a dangerous underground economy. This deprives them of their "Right to Security of the Person" under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
So Craig's List can restore their Adult Services section in Canada.
Unsurprisingly, the Federal government is appealing the decision.
I suppose the Evil Genius Supper Club is about to reopen...
I should hope so! I got a gift card there two Christmases ago that I haven't used yet!
There are only 86 more shopping days until CHristmas.
I feel sad for all the sex traffickers who might be horribly inconvenienced if anything happens to CL.

Oh, wait. This isn't Lies thread is it? Never mind. I need to be asleep as of 6 PM yesterday. smirk
The Supper Club has never closed, though the cabaret shows have been scaled back quite a bit. The extended run of "Thora Taunts the Audience" dinner theatre was panned by the LW critics.
Maybe you should hold auditions for a new act. I'm sure someone on Legion World has a talent that would be appropriate.
I can play "Lady of Spain" using my armpit.
Don't call us. We'll call you.
eek QUIS IS... eek

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"><span style="font-size: 17px;">WAKKO WARNER!!</span></span></span>
It's time for An-i-man-i-acs
And we're zany to the max
So just sit back and relax
You'll laugh till you collapse
We're An-i-man-i-acs

Come join the Warner brothers
And the Warner sister Dot
Just for fun we run around the Warner movie lot
They lock us in the tower whenever we get caught
But we break loose...
And then vamoose...
And now you know the plot

We're An-i-man-i-acs
Dot is cute and Yakko yaks
Wakko packs away the snacks
While Bill Clinton plays the sax
We're An-i-man-i-acs

Meet Pinky and the brain
Who want to rule the universe
Goodfeathers flock together,
Slappy wacks 'em with her purse
Buttons chases Mindy
While Rita sings a verse
The writers flipped
We have no script
Why bother to rehearse

We're An-i-man-i-acs
We have play for play contracts
We're zany to the max
There's baloney in our slacks
We're An-i-man-ee
Totally and zany
Here's the shows namey
An-i-man-i-acs
Those are the facts!
Et en français:

Voici l'heure des Animaniacs
On a disjoncté à max
Soyez cool; soyez relax
Sur le rire pas de taxe
On est les Animaniacs

Nous c'est Yakko et Wakko
Je suis Dot leur petite soeur
Pour égayer le studio on a joué les agitateurs
Comme ça n'a pas beaucoup plu
Ils ont bouclé les Warners
On s'est enfui et nous voici pour votre plus grand bonheur

On est les Animaniacs
Dot vous charme; Yakko s'Ă©claxe
Wakko est super-voraxe
Et Bill Clinton joue du sax'
On est les Animaniacs!

Y'a Minus et Cortex
Qui veulent diriger l'Univers
Les pigeons font du zèle
Rififi pique une crise de nerf
Toubeau poursuit Mindy
Rita déclame des vers
Les auteurs flippent, on jette leur scripts et ça les désespère

On est les Animaniacs
On a signé des contraxes
Nos folies vous désaxent
Suivez nous pour faire des frasques
Les Animani
Qui sement la zizanie
Qui ont des drĂ´les des manies
Aniii-manii-acs!
On s'marre Ă  max!
Here is the song translated (via Babel Fish) from English to French, then back into English.

It' ; time of S for l' A-I-man-I-acs And we' ; insane Re to the maximum you Rest so much just behind and slacken You' ; to laugh at L jusqu' so that you crumble We' ; A-I-man-I-acs Re Come unite Warner Brothers And the point of sister of Warner Juste for l' recreation we run around the film fate of Warner qu' they close us with key in the tower all the times that we get caught but we break loosely… And then vamoose… And now you know the piece of We' ground; ; A-I-man-I-acs Re the point am the nice yaks and of Yakko Wakko packs far the snacks While Bill Clinton plays the We' sax; ; A-I-man-I-acs Re Gathering rosĂ¢tre and the brain Which want to order l' universe Bandages of Goodfeathers together, Wacks ' of Slappy; end of support with its purse Chasses Mindy of buttons While Rita sings worms the authors reversed to Us n' let us have any manuscript Why trouble prepare We' ; A-I-man-I-acs Re We have the play for contracts of play We' ; insane Re to the There' maximum; ; idiocy of S in our soft We' ; l' A-I-man-EE Re Completely and insane Here' ; S the namey d' exposures A-I-man-I-acs Such are the facts!
The French text translated into English by Babelfish gives us:

Here l' hour of Animaniacs One tripped with max Be cool; be relaxed On the laughter not of tax One is Animaniacs Us c' is Yakko and Wakko I am Dot their little sister To brighten the studio the agitators were played Like that n' did not rain much They buckled Warners One s' is fled and us here for your greater happiness One is Animaniacs Dowry charms you; Yakko s' éclaxe Wakko is super-voraxe And Bill Clinton plays of the sax' One is Animaniacs! Y' has Minus and Cortex Who want to direct l' Universe The pigeons make zeal Trouble pricks an attack of nerves Toubeau continues Mindy Rita déclame of the worms The authors flippent, one throws their scripts and that despairs them One is Animaniacs Contraxes were signed Our madnesses offset you Follow us to make escapades Animani Who sow the discord Who have funny manias Aniii-manii-acs! One s' enough with max!
and I thought I had no life. wink
It's like I used to say on the Animaniacs Usenet group back around '98 or so: I had a life once, but I couldn't keep up the payments.

It's because of that Usenet board that I met mr_cleome, back when he was still a swinging bachelor. I think it was still about 50% <strike>exotic</strike> weird to meet people on the internet back then-- but I could be mistaken.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
People who think they're always right are very annoying to those of us who actually are. wink
Memphis Minnie's "Caught Me Wrong Again" is one of the best Blues songs ever.

(obligatory youtube link)
I got tired of being always right. It's more fun to be wrong now and then.
People can have odd definitions of fun. Think about it, how much fun would a barrel of monkeys really be?
Certainly a barrel of monkeys would be more fun that a barrel of IRS regulations.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
but wouldn't the monkeys just crap all over the regs?
[b]Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
but wouldn't the monkeys just crap all over the regs?[/b]
So would Congress.
I always liked Barrel of Monkeys in my youth. But I was more of a Perfection fan, overall. wink
I was a big Operation fan as a kid, but it probably put me off a medical career.
I guess the AMA is lucky you didn't become a malpractice insurance investigator.
I loved Monopoly, but I did not become a real estate buyer.
Does anyone else remember Mystery Date?

[Linked Image]
Nope. Is that what turned you gay? wink

(apologies if that isn't as funny a remark as it seems. I've had a few glasses of wine already)
It wasn't all that funny, but I wasn't offended. I actually think it was seeing Charo at a young age that turned me gay. She was so scary. wink
My sisters had Mystery Date. I always wanted to play it with them, but I wasn't allowed because it was "just for girls".

That didn't make me gay, but it was a very early clue that I was.
My favorite game was Solarquest .

It didn't turn me gay, but did give me a lot of experience orbiting Uranus.
When I was very, very young, I asked if I could play a game of Mystery Date because I thought it might help me understand girls.

It didn't, though observing the adults in my family who found out about this taught me a bit about things like expectations and conformity.
Oh, man! I hated Mystery Date and used to dread the moment when my friends would bring it out to play.

It was a great source of relief to me when Mom refused to buy it for my older sister because the former thought it was "silly and pointless."

I suppose the next logical step would have been my dressing up as a dude to replace my deceased older brother on the local super-team. I wonder now why that never happened...

hmmm
A lot of games are silly and pointless, which is kind of the point.

Out of curiosity, what games did your mom approve of?
So far as I can remember, pretty much all the others.

Her attempts to imbue us with the killer instinct so necessary to life under modern capitalism via games like "Monopoly" and "Ticker Tape" were obviously a colossal failure-- at least in my case.

shake
Once when playing Monopoly, my brother got both get out of jail cards and stuck them behind his ears. After playing for a while, he landed in jail and paid the $50 to get out of jail instead of using the get out of jail free cards he still had tucked behind his ears.
We never played using the "money on Free Parking" variation in Monopoly (which is not part of the official rules anyway), so the first time someone mentioned it, I had no idea what they were talking about.
We would alternate; sometimes the money from fines would go in the "Free Parking" chest, sometimes it wouldn't.
There was this one time where we played Monopoly with very special House Rules.

1) Three Players would go around the board and keep collecting the $200/lap as they passed GO.

2) When they land on an unowned property, the realtor (4th Player) would sell it to them complete with hotel for 100x his income/lap.

3) Of course $200 is hardly enough to buy a $40,000 hotel on Baltic Avenue, so they'd call in the 5th Player to write a Adjustable Rate Mortgage with interest only payments of $40/lap for 5 laps then resetting to 1% per lap plus principal to be amortized over 100 laps.

4) There being only about $15,000 in money on the board it quickly ran out at the bank. So the Bank Player needed more cash to write more mortgages for the 3 other players. So he called Player 6 who worked on Wall Street to buy the mortgages using their AAA credit.

5) But even Player 6 had only so much credit. He came up with another plan; he would package these mark them up at a profit and sell them to foreign Pension Funds because they had an endless supply of Orange $500 bills because Rich Uncle PennyBags told the Monopoly players to buy big Japanese SUVs, Electronics and clothes made in sweatshops, plus all the gasoline it took to drive the SUVs to Monster-Mart to buy all these things.
Do blank posts count as non sequitirs?
I believe a double post disqualifies me from winning. But it will not stop me from posting.
Ah, well, then . . . back to Monopoly.

My favorite icon was the top hat.
I liked the dog, because I liked the idea of a dog becoming a real estate mogul.

Most of my friends preferred the car.
I'm with HWW: the hat.
like OM, most of my friends wanted the car.

of course, this was only an issue when using other people's versions of the games. The one my family had was much older; it was a set of wooden pieces. The houses and hotels were also wood, and the box was smaller, as it didn't house the game board.
At various times I've preferred the hat, the thimble, the statue, the dog and the iron. I remember everyone else always wanted the car.
Originally, Monopoly was sold without any pieces. Players were encourage to supply their own, with items from around the house.

Incidentally, the horse rules all, with the wheelbarrow a close second.
I liked the top hat, I guess, because of Lidsville. Charles Nelson Reilly played Hoodoo, a dastardly villain who could could turn his top hat into a flying machine.
Ah, Lidsville. Along with HR Pufnstuf and The Bugaloos, this show could be excerpted in a documentary called Better Living Through Chemistry.
Definitely Weirder Living Through Chemistry at any rate.
Rockhopper Lad, You forgot Sigmund and the Sea Monstars
Good point. Rip Taylor as Sheldon the Sea Genie! That was--interesting. laugh
Bah, I prefer Officer Big Mac and Mayor McCheese. But the lawsuit quashed them disn't it?
I thought it was the cholesterol.
"Quash" is a sadly underappreciated word.
Put an "s" in front of it and it becomes slightly more appreciated.
If you like autumnal vegetables, especially.
When a kid, I didn't like squash (actually I still won't eat it mostly) So when my mother would make squash pie (because we had lots of squash from the garden) she would say it was pumpkin pie and then I would eat it. Now I actually prefer squash pie to pumpkin pie.
I never had a problem with eating my vegetables as a kid.
I like some veggies better than others, but the only one I've never really acquired a taste for is eggplant.
I like eggplant in marinara sauce (especially as part of a lasagna), but it can't be good for me.
According to family lore, when I was a baby I ate everything. But then I heard my brother & sister saying "yuck" to different foods, so I started saying "yuck". The irony is that they now eat pretty much anything and I am still fussy.
I remember one time I was having dinner with some friends and we realized that all five of us liked Brussels sprouts, which, we figured, was kind of unusual.
Brussels Sprouts are trendy now, though. All the glossy cooking mags have featured them.

Damn. Now I want some squash this weekend. I saw the displays while volunteering on Tuesday and they look fabulous.

I can't think of any vegetable that I avoid all the time regardless of preparation, except Iceberg Lettuce. And that barely even qualifies as a foodstuff, anyway. urk
I liked Brussels sprouts before they were cool! cool
me, too!
In Brussels they just call them "Our Sprouts"
Actually, in Brussels, they are either called "chou de Bruxelles" (cabbage of Brussels) or "Spruitkool" (cabbage sprout), depending on whether one speaks French or Dutch.
Sure go ruin a "good" joke.
I'll do my best.

You'll need to tell one first though.
A JOKE

Q: What happened when the coprophile saw the unflushed toilet?

A: He went cock-a-hoop.
I think that one ruined itself.
nod

It WAS a pretty crappy joke.
Here's one I like:

Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

To get to the same side.
I saw this on a T-shirt and liked it (and got it) immediately.

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."
I saw this on a t-shirt back in college and it took me awhile to get it:

"Two of a kind beats a straight."
I saw this on the restroom wall in high school (don't ask me why I've remembered it for so long):

She offered her honor;
He honored her offer.
All night long, it was honor and offer.
^^Love it!
I never heard that before. It's a keeper.
My post on this thread left earlier today was munched somehow. It's completely disappeared from the space-time continuum.

InvisibleKid

I guess this means that joke T-shirts are likely to bring on the next Ultimate Destruction of All That Is.

Or else it means that I should just go catch some long-overdue "Z"s. I can't decide.

confused
Muncha buncha, muncha buncha, muncha buncha, muncha buncha, Fritos goes with lunch
I was a Doritos man myself.
I go both ways, so long as it doesn't involve that wretched chili flavor. urk
The new Doritos Sweet Chili (or whatever) is entirely too salty. The Fritos is OK.
I accidentally bought some "chili" Cheetos a few weeks back and ended up abandoning them to fate in the warehouse's lounge. Bleah!

The vending machines are notoriously bad about actually dispensing what a person purchases anyway. They have those "coil" things that tend to lodge the snack bag against the window of the machine. Thanks to my almost-twelve months of pain-inducing manual labor, however, I'm now buffed enough to rock the damn machine safely if it doesn't co-operate with me at snack time.

Let it never be said that capitalism is without positive impact on the daily life of the proletariat.
Our vending machines are similar.

I am occasionally called upon to the machine-rocking on behalf of some of the older employees when their purchases get stuck.

The soda machines are the worst, though, since rocking them will not help you.
I love the line from Ben Hamper's Rivethead regarding the choice between the GM plant's cafeteria and its vending machines: "Fasting was both a popular and intelligent option."

I lost my copy of that book, and desperately need to replace it.
Not read it myself, but it sounds funny.

Our cafeteria at work is.....adequate.
We don't have a cafeteria or any other kind of food service in the building where I work, but there are only 15 people who work in it.
The Boston Public Library (the main building) now has an upscale cafe in it.
Not read it myself, but it sounds funny.

Our cafeteria at work is.....adequate.
My advice is to read it, but avoid reading the cafeteria chapter while consuming any type of food. The quiz where you match up what non-food item reminds you of the GM cafeteria special of the day is particularly eek eek .
food is a nightmare when I have to go to main campus. not only bad, but overpriced.
Food is a nightmare
Love is a battlefield
I'd actually buy a Pat Benatar record called "Food is a Nightmare".
She does need a new song.
She seems to do OK touring, but a hit would certainly be useful.
The literal version of the video for "Love is a Battlefield" is quite amusing.
Of course, real battlefields are kind of boring unless one is a hardcore history buff.

tongue

But I guess, "Love Costs Ten Bucks For The Tour (Plus Two-Fifty Extra For The Commemorative Thimble)" would lack a certain Top 40 brevity, wouldn't it?
Probably not during the battle, however.
You sank my battleship!
And I enjoyed every second of the experience.
You sank my battleship!
In retrospect, naming it the "Merrimack" might not have been the best idea you ever had.
Especially given the number of Monitors in comics.
no one ever gets assigned Merrimack duty.
Here is a picture of a Monitor lizard.

[Linked Image]

There are no pictures of a Merrimack lizard.
It just goes to show you how winners rewrite history.
"The Merrimack" was, of course, not actually the name of the ship at the time it was sunk. The alliterative "The Monitor vs The Merrimack" sounds better, however, than the more historically accurate "The Monitor vs The Virginia".
Only if you accept the Confederate renaming of the Merrimack.
And really, who wants to do that?
The Merrimack, of course, was named for the Merrimack River in southern New Hampshire and northeast Massachusetts. It runs through the old industrial cities of Manchester and Nashua, New Hampshire, and Lowell, Lawrence and Haverhill, Massachusetts.
I once spent three months in Haverhill on a work project. Some beautiful territory there.
One theory has that Haverhill is the inspiration for Riverdale in the Archie comics. The Riverdale high school is similarly designed like the Haverhill high school that series artist Bob Montana attended.
Some of the tourist pamphlets I saw in my hotel played up the Archie Comics connection.
"Haverhill" is one of those places where you can tell when people aren't from New England--or aren't familiar with it--by how they pronounce it. I'll admit, if I didn't know it was "HAY-vril", I probably wouldn't guess that.
I probably would have pronounced it "HAY-ver-hill" had I not been informed of the correct pronunciation before the trip.
When I was little, I thought it was "HAVE-er-hill". The "hayve" part reminds me of my father (whose first language is not English) asking us if we were "being hayve" instead of "behaving". My sister was so used to hearing it said thus, that she was 30 before she understood why it was wrong. I remember that "Light dawns over Marblehead" moment she had when I explained to her that there was no such word as "hayve".
Growing up, my dad would say "Watch your dupa" meaning watch your ass. I always thought it was just another slang term for ass until I was an adult and suddenly realized that "dupa" is the Polish word for ass.
I've always pronounced it "HAVE-er-hill," and never gave it much thought. Just a place on a map, and an exit not taken on the highway.
I'll always have fond memories of the place.
No one willing to touch my dupa, eh?
okay, who helped Chief hack Quis's account!?
My mind is as filthy as the Chief's. I just hide it better.
Or so you think.
Actually, you really have to give Quis that one. I love Lardy dearly, but subtle he's not.
I'll always have fond memories of the place.
Wait... is this post about Quis's dupa?
A gentleman does not kiss and tell.
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]I'll always have fond memories of the place.
Wait... is this post about Quis's dupa?[/b]
lol well, Miner, Loser and I did bunk at Quis' during Wizard World Boston '05. Maybe I'm more of a sound sleeper than I'd realized...
Yes, you slept through the yodeling contest.
Shoulda known you wouldn't be into Ho-Hos.
Whoopie pies with cream filling, not frosting.
I preferred the type(s) Hostess and Drake's snacks that had peanut butter rather than plain cream. Not that I can remember which they were.

I did like Ring Dings, I do recall, even with the regular cream filling.
I don't think Hostes had a peanut butter filled snack cake. Drake's were called Funy Bone
I've never had a Drake's snack. Never even heard of them until this thread.
Funny Bones! Yes.

in my youth, Drake's Cakes seemed more prevalent than even Hostess.
Drake's Cakes are pretty much exclusive to the Northeastern U.S. Round about Philadelphia, they get supplanted by Tastykakes.

Neither of which is easily available in Texas. sigh
According to wikipedia, the same company that owns Hostess now also owns Drake's.
I live in determined denial of the fact that one can actually purchase Tastykakes by mail order.

Believe me, it's better that way for all concerned-- with the possible exception of those who own stock in whatever giant corporation now owns Tastykake.

MatterEaterLad
I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10-foot pole anymore. Some childhood joys should remain safely in the past.
Rockhopper Lad,

PM me if you want me to send you some Yodels, RIng Dings, or Devil Dogs.
Thanks, Quis. I may take you up on that someday.

The ones I always wanted to try when I was little were the Dolly Madison cakes, because Charlie Brown did the commercials. They didn't sell them in Boston, alas. Now, they've been absorbed into the Hostess line.
Dolly Madison didn't have a big impact in my neck of the woods for whatever reason.

Little Debbie did and does, though.
Bah! Everyone knows the best (could survive nuclear war to be discovered in 10000 years by alien exo-archaeologists) snack cakes are Vachon Jos Louis and May West from Quebec.
I've seen those on the shelves, now that I'm north of the border. I just assumed they were pretty similar to the Drakes/Hostess ones.
I didn't know it. I'm from the U.S. Midwest. I've never heard of either.
Joe Louises, in fact, look just like Ring Dings.
Ring Dings, of course, look just like Ding Dongs. At one time, Hostess could not sell Ding Dongs by that name in states where Drake's Ring Dings were sold. They were variously called Big Wheels and King Dons. Eventually, they came to be called Ding Dongs everywhere.
I was profoundly unnerved by those Hostess Chocodiles ads when I was little. Possibly because one of the school bullies went around singing the jingle all the time.

Childhood is strange.
I don't recall Hostess Chocodiles ads.
I don't recall Hostess Chocodiles.
Ring Dings, of course, look just like Ding Dongs. At one time, Hostess could not sell Ding Dongs by that name in states where Drake's Ring Dings were sold. They were variously called Big Wheels and King Dons. Eventually, they came to be called Ding Dongs everywhere.
King Dongs is so less euphemistic than Ding Dongs.
They seem pretty equal on that scale to me.
That is my point. Although I think the reason for renaming Ding Dongs in those states with Drake Ring Dings was more about copyright/trademark/tradename
There wasn't anything in the part of Rocky's post that you quoted that suggested it was anything other than tradename issues, so I wasn't sure where you were going with that.

I'm surprised the Big Wheel people didn't go after them, though.
Ever try eating a Marx Big Wheel?
Not recently.
Besides the name shared with a plastic tricycle, the Big Wheel cake also had a mascot, Chief Big Wheel, who was just a bit (read painfully) culturally insensitive.
I don't recall Hostess Chocodiles.
A Twinkie with crappy fake chocolate coating. They didn't last that long.

Besides the name shared with a plastic tricycle, the Big Wheel cake also had a mascot, Chief Big Wheel, who was just a bit (read painfully) culturally insensitive.
No shortage of those, but I remember the particular ads you're talking about.
[b] I don't recall Hostess Chocodiles.
A Twinkie with crappy fake chocolate coating. They didn't last that long.
[/b]
Sounds awful. Anyway, Zingers have that market sewn up.
Zingers also had commercials where Snoopy was the Zinger Zapper. Dolly Madison also sold chocolate pies with Frieda (she of the naturally curly hair) depicted on the label.
Frieda, of course, is not to be confused with the little red-haired girl that Charlie Brown fancies.
The little red-haired girl's name was never revealed, was it?
Not officially. In the TV special It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown, she is referred to as "Heather", but this was never established in the comic strip itself, so canonically, she remains unseen and unnamed. That wasn't one of the better specials, anyway.
"Heather" seems wrong as a name for her, anyway.
In a world where there are girls named Lucy, Violet, Sally, Frieda, Eudora, Marcie and two girls named Patty, a name like Heather is just too trendy-sounding. Maybe she could be Barbara or an Amy.
[pictures the original cast of Alpha Flight as drawn by Charles Schultz]

hmmm
[pictures Sasquatch as Pigpen, more or less.]
Well, we Legion fans all know that generating dirt and peculiar aromas counts as a superpower...
Which makes some people I've met at conventions positively Herculean.
lol

I'd be safe right now, since my sense of smell is temporarily non-functional.
Lucky you, I guess.

Seriously, though: Hope that gets better soon.
Thanks, Doll. hug

Feeling much better this morning. Except for the cats waking me up at the crack of dawn. Again.
but that's a cat's job!

...and their way of saying, "see? you're okay. so feed me already!"
Yeah, it's how they show they kinda, sorta, vaguely care.

Cats: The World's First Hipsters.
This speaks volumes as to why I have a dog.

I've been fighting a cold or something for a week. This morning I finally lost. I called my choir director and told him I wasn't well and couldn't sing this morning and went back to bed. Hyvvie cuddled up to me and lay down on my pillow, over my head. Then he moved his head so it was next to mine. He was taking care of his daddy. smile
Dogs are nice, but they require walking whether one is sick or well. So that can be a drawback under some conditions.

Besides, on weekends I get revenge on the cats for depriving me of sleep in the morning by randomly waking them up from their sleep in the afternoon.

evil
So they just sleep for the remaining 20 hours of the day instead.
That's something dogs and cats have in common. Snoopy said that it was because he had to be well-rested in case the next day was important. It probably wouldn't be, but just in case.

Someone somewhere said that "Peanuts" was not so much a comic strip as it was a documentary on the behavior of beagles. I'm wont to agree.
People don't use "wont" very much anymore.
It's a perfectly good word. I think we also need to say "beseech" and "vouchsafe" more often.
I would add "aghast" to the list.
Another I like is "unfeignedly".
Watch everyone confuse "feign" with "fain" though. Oh, the hijinks that will ensue!
Hmmm...if you add "or" to "feign" it becomes "foreign."
for the reign of the regnant foreigners rains for four fortnights.
Bet you can't type that three times fast.
define "fast."
Among other things, it means "to go without food".
I have done that. It is not fun.
Food, glorious food!
Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood --
Cold jelly and custard!
Peas, pudding and saveloys!
What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys --
In-di-gestion!

Food, glorious food!
We're anxious to try it.
Three banquets a day --
Our favourite diet!

Just picture a great big steak --
Fried, roasted or stewed.
Oh, food,
Wonderful food,
Marvellous food,
Glorious food.
"saveloys"?
Definition of SAVELOY
British : a highly seasoned dry sausage
Origin of SAVELOY
modification of French cervelas, from Middle French, from Old Italian cervellata, literally, pig's brains, from cervello brain, from Latin cerebellum — more at cerebellum
First Known Use: 1837
How do I put this gently?

Eww! puke
I think it's just Quis' way of congratulating Saturn Girl for her news in the "shout" room.
I don't think they are made with pigs brains anymore (if ever). According to wikipedia, the taste is similar to a frankfurter.
And you can always trust wikipedia on matters involving pig brains.
And, of course, there's never anything questionable in a hot dog! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Beagz Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 10/20/10 04:03 AM
Woof.
Woof-woof.
My dear Beagle Boy, I was referring to a frankfurter; however, you most certainly would qualify as a hot dog! wink tease
The wurst kind, no doubt. wink
Posted By: Beagz Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 10/20/10 06:15 PM
It's because I'm a brat.
One of your many endearing qualities! laugh
I believe we have a winner.
Will they be handing out autographs in the next thread?
Shouldn't they have a handicap for the next one, like we get 36 hours to respond to one of their posts instead of 24?
I could use that kind of handicap in every thread, frankly.

sigh Tired poster is tired.
Congrats, Rocky!
I have to share this victory with my buddy Beagz. Without him, I wouldn't have made the winning, thread-killing post! laugh
Posted By: Beagz Re: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! - 10/22/10 03:01 AM
You're welcome!
Congrats to you both!
Don't mess with Texas! laugh
© Legion World