Hawkgirl
Blackfire (from Titans)
LEGION
Tiggorr and some Omega Men

and many others!

Capt Comet! smile

check here

----
edited for SPOILERS!-- and Cobie's typo in the subject. That's been bugging me for weeks laugh
DC's take on the old VHS biz:

Instead of "Please be kind, rewind"

"Please give cash, rehash"
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 03/24/05 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Good news OM! I have to run, but here's a few characters to expect in this:

Captain Comet
Woo-hoo!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 03/27/05 02:43 AM
To expand on the above a bit:

"We also have Adam Blake, otherwise known as Captain Comet. He plays an important part. He becomes somewhat of an ally of Kyle Rayner and teams up with him to attack this problem from another vantage point."

Bring it on!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 03/28/05 04:09 AM
Hell yeah! Captain Comet/Kyle sounds like 'just the thing' for both of them right now and could make for an interesting dynamic.

A year ago, we had a few threads begging for something like this with all the sci-fi characters...looks like we've got our wish! I'm very, very excited about this!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 03/31/05 12:22 AM
If this sells, they could spin the characters off into another mini or even an ongoing. Comet, Kyle, Hawkwoman, some of the Omega guys....there's potential here.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 03/31/05 02:54 PM
I agree, and I think that would be an awesome series. With the ones you listed, that's already a very dynamic group of characters with different viewpoints. I think the more the science-fiction aspect is played up, as well as the 'space fantasy', the more successful the series will be.

Captain Comet, Kyle/Green Lantern and Hawkwoman...already it sounds really interestng. With my fave Adam Strange and a few Omega Men/LEGION members, I don't see where there can't be an onslaught of minis or an ongoing.
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/05/05 09:07 PM
DC has just put a 6 page preview on their site. Just b&w and no dialogue but the art looks great!
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/12/05 04:13 AM
here's hoping to see some RECRUITS members. remember them? I loved Darius A.1. and Zena Moonstruk.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/13/05 01:38 AM
Good news OM! I have to run, but here's a few characters to expect in this:

Captain Comet
Hawkwoman
Hawkman
Hawkgirl
Blackfire (from Titans)
LEGION
Tiggorr and some Omega Men

and many others!

Capt Comet! smile

check here
I thought I'd seen another Hawkman - at least one who's not Carter Hall. Maybe I was just placing my own desires onto the picture I saw.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/13/05 01:59 AM
They have hinted that a "much loved character" will be returning in this mini.

You never know.
Posted By: Digiac 5 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/15/05 01:40 AM
It could be simply another Thanagarian....
Posted By: Greybird Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/16/05 01:46 AM
Where did the art come from that Gary used to create the main-forum-page visual link to this thread?
Posted By: Digiac 5 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/16/05 02:17 AM
The first 3 covers for the mini are on the DC website.
Posted By: Greybird Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/16/05 06:59 AM
Thanks, but ... can you narrow that down just a touch, please?
Posted By: Oracle Boy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/16/05 07:06 AM
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Posted By: Greybird Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/16/05 07:17 AM
Thanks for the links. I did find the relevant section on the first DC page, after all. They used to not be so obliging with logical Web design -- it's been a year or more since I last looked at it.

"It's Universal Armaggedon [sic]. And no one can stop it!" One G and two Ds, dammit. Doesn't anybody care about literacy ANY freaking where ANY more?
Posted By: profh0011 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/16/05 06:13 PM
I keep an AMERICAN HERITAGE dictionary of the English language handy when I write. (Best thing anyone ever gave me-- an award for best grades in the 5th grade graduating class.) Indispensible-- all these years, and there's still some words I can NEVER recall how to spell.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/27/05 06:16 PM
Willikers! I meant to post a cool Captain Comet cover for Outdoor Miner dated 1953, but my lack of computer knowledeg kept screwing me up!

Delete his post, oh advisors of Gym'lls!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/27/05 06:31 PM
Hmm. Captain Comet, 1953 and OM? Would it be this cover?

click to enlarge
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/27/05 07:18 PM
Holy Jabroni! I'm amazed!

That's exactly it, Scooter! Kewl!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/27/05 08:00 PM
Well, I had a one in eight shot in getting the right one. And knowing a little about OM helped quite a bit. laugh
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/27/05 11:23 PM
According to WIZARD, this series will lead into a five-issue limited series entitled, Green Lantern Corps: Recharge! It's written by Gibbons with art by Patrick Gleason (Aquaman).

It's the restoration of the Corps. Only this time it's twice as big and most of the GL's are partnered up. I can't wait!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/28/05 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Hmm. Captain Comet, 1953 and OM? Would it be this cover?

click to enlarge
The family really doesn't like to bring up Uncle Dave anymore....

(Thanks for the thought, Cobes, and the link, Scott! I loves them '50s sci-fi covers.)
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 04/28/05 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
According to WIZARD, this series will lead into a five-issue limited series entitled, Green Lantern Corps: Recharge! It's written by Gibbons with art by Patrick Gleason (Aquaman).

It's the restoration of the Corps. Only this time it's twice as big and most of the GL's are partnered up. I can't wait!
Yes! That's awesome and I definately can't wait for it. I hear my boy Adam Strange isn't done being a part of minis and ongoings either, so I wonder what's in store for him?

And OM, I figured you'd get a kick out of that cover. That's one I never saw before until yesterday. Great link too, Scott!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/06/05 11:45 PM
Word on the DC boards is that issue #1 of this has sold out, which makes it four for four for the post-Countdown minis.

I'm getting mine tomorrow. Any one seen this yet?
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/07/05 01:09 AM
Never mind that last bit. I'm told it won't be out until next week. Advance interest must be responsible for the sellout notice.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/12/05 12:49 AM
Wow. This is a first. No established character deaths!

Which makes this my favorite of the various Infinite Crisis mini-series.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/12/05 12:53 AM
No established character deaths in a title with the word "war" in it? I'm choking on the irony. smile

I read my store's preview copy last weekend. Basically the set-up issue, but it was a good read and the art was spectacular.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/12/05 12:55 AM
Can't wait to get ahold of this. Is Captain Comet in the first issue?
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/12/05 01:04 AM
Can't wait to get ahold of this. Is Captain Comet in the first issue?
Not yet.
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/12/05 06:30 PM
but really, could they have name dropped a little more?

...and what do you mean no established character death? Goodbye Ferrin Colos of the Darkstars. Goodbye to all the Darkstars.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/12/05 09:44 PM
Originally posted by RTVU2:
but really, could they have name dropped a little more?

...and what do you mean no established character death? Goodbye Ferrin Colos of the Darkstars. Goodbye to all the Darkstars.
Where? When did they die? Was it in Adam Strange's last issue? I didn't read that one yet.
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/12/05 09:57 PM
my bad....got confused for a moment. It must og been the red bee's infulence...
Posted By: ferroboy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/13/05 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Wow. This is a first. No established character deaths!
There might even be a character resurrection based on one comment in the first issue.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/14/05 01:07 AM
I need to reread this, as I have no clue what you're hinting at. smile

I was a tad disappointed in this issue-- but I'm sure I'll enjoy this more once Shayera and Captain Comet pop up. VILLAINS UNITED remains the COUNTDOWN mini I'm most interested in-- followed by the magic one and OMAC.

Donna's return will supercede all these, for me, on May 25, though.
Posted By: G-Man Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/14/05 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I need to reread this, as I have no clue what you're hinting at.
Me neither.

Shayera was in there, just one page and things weren't looking too bright for her. I finally picked up 7 and 8 of Adam Strange and this book today. The art is beautiful but the story completely goes against the small preview from Countdown to Infinite Crisis.

Still, I like the characters involved and think the previous post in this thread suggesting a new book featuring the mentioned characters would be excellent.

It was also good to see Kilowog -and EXCELLENT to hear him use the word "POOZER", but I'm confused. Didn't Hal kill him?

Another bonus of this issue -we now know where the Phoenix force went after the Phoenix: Endsong mini. tongue
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/14/05 06:13 AM
Originally posted by G-Man:
It was also good to see Kilowog -and EXCELLENT to hear him use the word "POOZER", but I'm confused. Didn't Hal kill him?
He got better.

I can't recall the explanation, but it happened well before Rebirth.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/14/05 04:39 PM
I need to reread this, as I have no clue what you're hinting at. smile
Read very carefully everything Shayera Thal says in this issue. She says some of it over the radio, but my "hint" refers to the first or second panel. It's WHO she's talking to that is significant.
Posted By: G-Man Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/15/05 04:47 AM
Still not getting it. I guess this could be a spoiler, but she calls out to Katar -but isn't Carter -the current Hawkman- basically just a reincarnation of Katar. The whole Hawkman thing has me confused even though I was collecting JSA when he came back.

So, aren't Carter and Katar the same person?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/16/05 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
[b]It was also good to see Kilowog -and EXCELLENT to hear him use the word "POOZER", but I'm confused. Didn't Hal kill him?
He got better.

I can't recall the explanation, but it happened well before Rebirth.[/b]
Er...I'll give a weak sum up: Kilowog came back in a GL (Kyle) one-shot or mini about three or four years ago, but in a weird energy body state or something. A few months later, Kyle went on a quest that ended with Kilowog being changed back to his old self, where he went back to OA to help raise the reborn Guardians.

Geez, sorry I couldn't be more specific or helpful. Overall, very not-so memorable, but the point is that he's alive smile
Posted By: matlock Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/16/05 05:21 PM
Still not getting it. I guess this could be a spoiler, but she calls out to Katar -but isn't Carter -the current Hawkman- basically just a reincarnation of Katar. The whole Hawkman thing has me confused even though I was collecting JSA when he came back.

If I remember, Katar and Carter were both "Hawk Avatars" but Katar was not an incarnation of Carter otherwise. Carter has some or all of Katar's memories because of when all the various Hawk avatars were merged during Zero Hour. I think.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/16/05 10:31 PM

Katar and Carter aren't the same person and Shayara knows this. She wouldn't mistakenly call Carter the wrong name, even if she did - by some slim chance - know he was in Thanagarian space.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/16/05 11:26 PM
i hope shayera is as kick butt as she used to be.
Posted By: Vee Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/17/05 11:13 AM
Where's Golden Eagle? And there are now TWO Hawkmen and TWO HawkWoman/Girl's? confused
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/18/05 02:14 PM
Golden Eagle is in the HAWKMAN comic. Presumably, he's not Thanagarian-connected, so he's not in this.

The answer to the second question is "quite possibly, yes" based on what happens in the next few issues.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/28/05 07:14 PM
Poppin' Planets!

I think I'm going to enjoy RANN-THANAGAR WAR more than the Adam Strange mini.

The artwork is a lotta fun!

I was actually lucky to get this. I've been going to the CBS only once a month and stupid me didn't request that this, Day of Vengeance, OMAC and Villains United be pulled. I missed out on the others but got the last copy of R-TW # 1! I was also lucky to get Donna Troy # 1.

I'd better start going to the CBS twice a month for the rest of the summer...
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 05/28/05 07:23 PM
Lash, I also missed Omac Project #1. I'm kicking myself!
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/08/05 11:26 PM
SPOILERS for issue #2!....

Is there a reason why Captain Comet is depicted as being so old? I realize he's from the beginning of the Silver Age in real/comic time, but isn't one of his mutant abilities to not age? Also, wasn't he in charge of L.E.G.I.O.N. after the Lyrl incident, with Vril retired? Has this change in status quo been addressed somewhere?
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/08/05 11:31 PM
He was in charge of L.E.G.I.O.N. at the end of the R.E.B.E.L.S. and beyond. I believe we first saw Vril back in charge, without explanation, in the ADAM STRANGE mini.

I'm hoping this all gets explained somewhere myself.
Posted By: SiliconDream Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/09/05 12:55 AM
Yeah, I think it's ADAM STRANGE which is to blame here. Also for turning L.E.G.I.O.N. into an army of killdroids for some reason.

Far as I know, the last update to L.E.G.I.O.N. was the LSH crossover with all the Doxes together, which was consistent with the end of R.E.B.E.L.S.; Dox no longer in charge of L.E.G.I.O.N., and only occasionally doing a "job" for them. Of course, that was a Peyer story, so naturally it was going to match L.E.G.I.O.N. continuity.
Posted By: Pariscub Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/09/05 02:21 PM
Is there any reason why we have Validus on the cover to issue 2? Look in the crowd, among the soldiers on the right... That certainly looks like Validus to me!
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/09/05 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Pariscub:
Is there any reason why we have Validus on the cover to issue 2? Look in the crowd, among the soldiers on the right... That certainly looks like Validus to me!
No reason that I can see - there's nothing like him inside the book. Looks like a nod to Legion fandom to me... (unless they're establishing that the reboot Validus is either: an alien race, extremely old, or has had previous incarnations.
Posted By: Charles Phipps Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/10/05 02:53 AM
Or Time Travel!

;-)
Posted By: ferroboy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/10/05 09:01 PM
Maybe he's a leftover from the Fatal Five Hundred. Or was it the Fatal Five Thousand?
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/22/05 12:48 AM
I'm a little nervous now, having read the solicitation for #5.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/22/05 02:11 PM
links? laugh
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/22/05 05:06 PM
RANN-THANAGAR WAR #5
Written by Dave Gibbons
Art and cover by Ivan Reis & Marc Campos

The course of the war takes a surprise turn as traitors and unexpected allies reveal themselves. As battle rages, a world is reborn - but one warrior makes the ultimate sacrifice!
On sale Sept 14 • 5 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

click to enlarge
Posted By: Pov Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/22/05 05:52 PM
(Let's add some spoiler-space here... Cobes, I went back and added SPOILERS to the original thread title, hope you don't mind. wink )

S
-
P
-
O
-
I
-
L
-
E
-
R
-
S
--There can be only one... Hawkgirl/woman??? eek frown
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/25/05 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Pov:
(Let's add some spoiler-space here... Cobes, I went back and added SPOILERS to the original thread title, hope you don't mind. wink )

S
-
P
-
O
-
I
-
L
-
E
-
R
-
S
--There can be only one... Hawkgirl/woman??? eek frown
Especially since it wouldn't be too hard to figure out which one will stick around, if that's the case.
Posted By: Ultra Jorge Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 06/29/05 06:31 AM
I honestly think when Hawkwoman dies (er if i mean) Kendra will suddenly remember much more of her past. For some reason I think they are split souls or something. Ofcourse now Hawkman may be messed up. Maybe the tables will turn.

btw, just read #2. Really enjoy Kyle and Capt Comet's conversation!!! Big fan of both. This series rocks!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/14/05 03:47 PM
I bought #3 yesterday (my local comics shop always gets books late, and it's the only halfway decent store still around.) Omg, do I love this mini-series. Ivan Reis is my favorite of all the current artists who work I've seen since returning to comics a few months ago.

Even though I'm not happy with how the L.E.G.I.O.N. are portrayed here, I'm just happy to see them around, in a well-crafted current book which should bring them attention, and I'm confident that once the mini-series is over, the team can be changed back into something more like it was.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/14/05 04:32 PM
I've loved this series too. I like the art but something bothers me about it too. It seems really chaotic. I can't figure out who's on which side.

I also picked up the Adam Strange Trade this week. I kinda like Dox's Squire of Gothos look from that series more than his look in this series. In fact, he looked like quite an 18th century dandy. I wonder if Stealth picked it out for him.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/14/05 07:43 PM
Just read #4, and some thoughts:

I like how Ominar Symn has become a big time space baddy, and is recurring in the DCU now. DC needs more non-Darkseid/non-Superman foe space bad guys that are distinct enough to recurr.

Not a ton of characterization here, but a lot going on and a lot of characters getting some screen time. Great seeing Price Gavynn and Tigorr do a little damage, and I really like the Hawks/Adam Stange/Kommand'r team. Hawkman and Adam Strange are just hands-down two of my favorite characters in the DCU.

Still love seeing Captain Comet teaming with Kyle, but I'm hoping beyond hope that Capt. Comet makes it through this series intact. Love that we see him, which is good itself, but I'd prefer he didn't look so old. I might have asked this before, but what exactly are all his powers? (relying on OM here).
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/15/05 01:18 AM
I might have asked this before, but what exactly are all his powers? (relying on OM here).
Gotcha.

Our Captain has been up and down the power scale a lot in his career, but since the '70s he's been shown to have some degree of:

Telepathy, telekinesis, super strength, limited invulnerability, enhanced senses, flight, total recall, and an extremely high intelligence.

I'm still enjoying the book a lot too, but I wish more had been done to really introduce the characters to the reader.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/15/05 04:17 PM
I've never been big on space operas, and most everyone in this book is new to me. I know Kyle (my GL) and the Hawks(SHAYERA!) but the rest are a little harder to keep track of. I think the writers are telling a good story, and I've got enough idea of the cast to keep it going. With so many faces of note, it would slow things down to recap them for me.

I too like Synn as a galaxy despot. Here's to him having some future mayhem to cause. I'm also excited about Blackfire, if only because I know she's got something nasty planned. It may not play out in this series, but that's fine by me. This is just setting up the universe as a dangerous place, needing the GLC.

With all I like about this book, the artwork is too "dirty" for me. Mind you, it fits the tone, and it is rather good. I just can't seem to get into as much as the work on Hawkman, for example.

This and VU are the only IC minis I'm reading. And both have delivered well.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/15/05 07:20 PM
I'm not entirely sure why I am collecting this. I've never really been a fan of the Hawks or Adam Strange. I think my CBS pulled a copy of #1 for me accidently, and I just started collecting it. To be honest, though, I'm mostly just thumbing through it.

It's all too confusing, with Carter/Katar/Shayera/Kendra, and the Hawks being off in space, while they are hurt/deadish in their own title.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/15/05 07:57 PM
I read #s 2-4 last night.

Artist reminds me somewhat of a 2005 take on Neal Adams. I like it.

Story barrelling along 10 miles a minute. I like it.

Didn't care for "Old Man Comet" at first, but now I like it.

The all-new, mostly-robot l.e.g.i.o.n.? I hate it.

Overall: Good stuff, great fun.
Posted By: Stratum Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/15/05 08:17 PM
The robot L.E.G.I.O.N appeared in the Adam Strange mini....as does Dox's reasoning behind the robots.

Considering the history of that team, it makes sense. <G>

Jamie
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/16/05 11:54 AM
I see Neal Adams in the art, too, MLLASH, and also a lot of Alan Davis, whose work I've always loved (I'm currently re-reading the Excalibur issues Davis wrote and drew.)
Posted By: Blacula Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/16/05 02:19 PM
Am I the only one completely bored by this series? I feel like I'm reading the exact same thing every issue.

With the exception of the Kyle/Comet sub-plot (which is the only one going anywhere) everyone else is just talk-shoot-talk-shoot-talk-shoot. And since nothing they talk about is that compelling and no one they shoot is more than a redshirt I find these parts a real chore to sit through.

And the art doesn't help matters. Ivan Reis is a talent but his highly detailed art just makes a cluttered comic more messy IMO and it certainly doesn't help that *every single character* except a few of the principles (Comet, Sardath and Synn) have the exact same body and face! Its crazy! Every time we see a group of Rannians or Thanagarians its like Attack of the Clones!

Sometimes I think that maybe Gibbons is doing something amazing here - war IS unfocused, its confusing, crowded, scattershot, senseless, pointless, often boring - maybe he's showing us in an amazingly genius way what war is really like!

... but then I remember that its just crap.
Posted By: Vee Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/16/05 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
It's all too confusing, with Carter/Katar/Shayera/Kendra, and the Hawks being off in space, while they are hurt/deadish in their own title.
This has me confused as well, hasn't Carter been killed and replaced by Golden Eagle (yay, Charley!) in the Hawkman title? Isn't Kendra in the JSA-Atom Smasher arc and being chased around by a purple mist baddie in the Hawkman title? How can they both be on Thanagar and or Rann?

Someone please explain! I'm so confused! (I blame Cobie and Lash, btw. If they hadn't pointed out that Golden Eagle was appearing in the Hawkman title, I wouldn't be aware of anything going on there, and wouldn't be at all confused. laugh )
Posted By: Blacula Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/16/05 03:14 PM
Rann-Thanagar War is set after the current events in Hawkman's title. The solicit for the November issue of Hawkman talks about being a prelude to RTW so that must be the point at which Hawkman catches up with the rest of the DCU.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 08/28/05 02:53 PM
artwork - beautiful
script - very slow plotting, not enough moments for characterization or event impact to shine through (IMO)

LOVE the cast
wish it was tighter scripting
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/14/05 06:29 PM
My worst fear for the fate of one of the characters upon seeing the covers for IC 1 has been realized.

It wasn't even meaningful in terms of the plot. frown
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/14/05 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
My worst fear for the fate of one of the characters upon seeing the covers for IC 1 has been realized.

It wasn't even meaningful in terms of the plot. frown
UGH. What kind of @)(&$ is that?!?! Crap, I tell you. C-R-A-P. What is this - intergalactic housecleaning 101? Aren't the stars large enough to fit all these characters for later use? What's the point of gunning them down?

oh, right, for an INFINITE CRISIS using a more finite number of characters

sigh
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/14/05 11:28 PM
I'm not going to get this for another week at least, so if anyone wants to spoil it without messing it up for anyone else, feel free.

Pretty sure who it is, but I won't like it either way, since I thought all the characters appearing here were cool.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/14/05 11:37 PM
SPOILER:Hawkwoman - Shayera Thal frown
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/15/05 12:02 AM
waaaaa! But to be fair, the DC staff has been warning us that many of us would not like many things happening starting now til the Infinite Crisis is over.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/15/05 12:18 AM
Right! It's the Graduation Day mentality. Alienate as many of your existing fanbase as you can so that they don't want to buy your books of ever-decreasing characters!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/15/05 12:40 AM
Thank you, Gary.

My comment above the spoiler stands.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/15/05 03:08 PM
Oy, what a disappointment--

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

though I would'nt be a bit surprised if Shayera reappears in #6 or later on in INFINITE CRISIS.

The nature of the villain... the 'shooting the body into the sun'... the Hawk reincarnation thing... maybe we haven't seen the last of one of
DC's untapped gems.

The one good thing about the development is that it returns Blackfire to outright villainy. She was an uneasy fit in the 'shades of gray' category, IMO.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Hawks pound her into some pavement or other. And then her sister, Starfire can guest-star to get a few well-deserved licks in, as well. Oh yeah-- R'yander (does he get the apostrophe?-- it doesn't look right) should show up, too.

Nice art-- I really like Tigorr, here.
Posted By: Stratum Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/16/05 01:22 PM
The nature of the villain... the 'shooting the body into the sun'... the Hawk reincarnation thing... maybe we haven't seen the last of one of DC's untapped gems.
Here's what got me. Shayeira was ONLY a thanagarian and Kendra is supposed to be the reincarnation of Shayera, right?

So why did she tell Carter she would return? She shouldn't follow the rules of the Hawks as she was never a reincarnation.

There's something up here but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Jamie
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/16/05 07:23 PM
Stupid, stupid death for two reasons:
-- We all saw it coming. Kendra makes her supurfluous.
-- It was a stupidly written death. She flies at Komand'r and gets blasted. No drama whatsoever.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/16/05 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Stratum:
So why did she tell Carter she would return? She shouldn't follow the rules of the Hawks as she was never a reincarnation.

There's something up here but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Jamie
She will return, in a series written by Messner-Loebs.

(let it go, it's my fantasy)
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/17/05 06:24 PM
Maybe I'm in denial, but I'd be pretty surprised if she doesn't return in #6 or in IC.

Maybe she'll be on the reincarnation fast track. They wouldn't just leave all that Katar/Carter confusion there with no follow-up, would they?

Or maybe Charley'll end up brain dead over in HAWKMAN and Shayera will take over *his* body??!!!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/17/05 08:11 PM
Maybe she'll be on the reincarnation fast track. They wouldn't just leave all that Katar/Carter confusion there with no follow-up, would they?
I think they might.

Indeed, that could be the point of the death.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/19/05 01:54 AM
maybe they'll bring her back as a servant of Ominar Syn (whatever his name is - i'm too annoyed to check the book) as his 'new' Valkyior (an odd title for the now deceased character from the Planet Heist mini) then change her spots when confronted with the Hawks/nth metal ???

uh huh
and maybe Matter-Eater Lad could save the day by eating this entire story
MatterEaterLad
What Andy just wrote reminded me of the Silver Age Hawkman when Gardner Fox and Murphy Anderson were collaberating, wasnt there a story where a woman (whether she was alien or not) with a winged head-dress, wanted to ask the Hawks to help her?

I hope those with long memories can help
Posted By: Stargazer Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/20/05 01:56 AM
I agree with the pointless death that made no sense. Makes me wonder if Kendra will somehow be merged. Kinda like Katar was in the previous Hawk book.
Could happen.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/06/05 05:10 AM
Why do I have issue 6 of this book already? It wasn't on Diamond's shipping list. Did stores here get it a week early by mistake? I'm not spoiling anything if I tell you just like the other minis there is a cliffhanger and the last page says... to be continued in IC 1.
Posted By: Ultra Jorge Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/06/05 06:33 AM
I always thought Hawkwoman and Hawkgirl were the same soul...just splintered of sorts. Thus Kendra never remembered her past lives, etc. I know it doesn't make much sense but this comics! Plus reincarnation isn't an exac science. wink
Posted By: Caliente Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/07/05 04:46 AM
Gross. Not a fan. Boo. Etc.

Least favorite mini... even with Kyle. frown
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/07/05 08:04 PM
Bah- no last-minute save for Shayera. The Rann-Thanagar War remains my least favorite of the various IC lead-ins. Nice art, though. Even with the sameness of many of the characters.

However, its saving grace is that it has returned Blackfire to the roster of workable DC villainesses.

A storyline featuring Rann, Thanagar, Throneworld, Captain Comet and the Hawks really should've been loads of fun. It wasn't horrible, I don't think. But it could've been so much more...
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/09/05 05:37 PM
I agree it could have been more, but I still rather enjoyed it, unnecessary death aside. The art was great, maybe the best of the IC minis, and I liked the epic feel of it.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/09/05 11:34 PM
ok, i droped this book circa issue 3. but are you telling me they brought back my wise cracking shayera just to kill her....

excuse me i must go have a lester spifany moment.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/10/05 03:48 PM
Yeah, DB, that's exactly what happened. I like Kendra, but if I had a choice between her and Shayara, I'd go Thanagarian.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/10/05 04:18 PM
Y'know, after reading this whole thing I really couldn't say what the heck happened. There was a lot of fighting and Hawkwoman died. Beyond that, it's all a big jumble. I suppose if Gibbons wanted to convey the chaos of war, he suceeded cuz I thought it was a mess.
Posted By: Whom Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/10/05 04:42 PM
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Y'know, after reading this whole thing I really couldn't say what the heck happened. There was a lot of fighting and Hawkwoman died. Beyond that, it's all a big jumble. I suppose if Gibbons wanted to convey the chaos of war, he suceeded cuz I thought it was a mess.
Yea, 'twas a most beautiful mess, which did please me greatly.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/11/05 12:18 AM
It was a'ight. I rank it above DONNA TROY and on par with OMAC PROJECT but far, far below VU and DoV.

What's important about it is that it has shown DC a book featuring it's space-cast can sell.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/11/05 01:18 AM
It has, I agree.

The question is, is that how DC sees it?
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/12/05 09:23 PM
You can read a "post-mortem" of the series at Newsarama here
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 10/13/05 05:14 PM
Overall, the series was good. This issue seemed to really build up more, rather than resolve anything. More set up for future stories and books as opposed to feeding directly into IC.

I've never been much of a sci-fi guy, so another space epic really didn't grab me. I was reading it mostly for Kyle and Shayera. Kyle was handled well as a character, but not as the GL I read about. We all know how Shayera ended...

I will say this, the artwork in this series impressed me more than any of the other minis. And Gibbons wrote a good story- just not one I am interested in following.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 11/17/05 09:05 PM
Written by Dave Gibbons
Art by Ivan Reis & Marc Campos
Cover by Gibbons & Michael Bair
Infinite Crisis is here - and the Cosmic Storm rages out of control, threatening the fate of the entire universe! While the Rannian and Thanagarian flagships each suspect that the other is responsible for the disturbances, Donna Troy must lead her team of space champions into the cosmos in an attempt to prevent total destruction. But as the war rages on,
a startling discovery will be uncovered, one hero will be forever changed, and another will
make the ultimate sacrifice.
On sale February 1 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US

Predictions:

- Kyle Raynor the one who will be changed, to "Ion" again. This rumor has been around for months, and it might be the way DC can differentiate Kyle from the Corps.

- Captain Comet as the one who dies frown . I really hope not though.

- I hope somehow an Adam Strange ongoing spins out of this, or even a series of Adam minis each year. Some type of space-hero comic book with all of them would be even better.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 11/17/05 09:15 PM
In the wake of revelations about the future of the Hawkman title, I've got to wonder about who is being forever changed and who is dying.

Comet's probably hosed, though. Dammit.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 02/05/06 05:22 PM
Comet was safe, so far.

RANN THANAGAR WAR INFINITE CRISIS SPECIAL

The Rann Thanagar mini was my least favorite of the countdown events. This special does nothing to change that, and does plenty to propel it to the depths of HOUSE OF M. Bad dialogue, some weird characterization and a flat, useless death- no, worse, a death used to elevate an already-powerful hero-- of a potential-filled heroine land this in the running for worst of the year. Yep, I know it's just January, but I'll bet that'll still be true in December.

Blech. I'm sorry I spent the money to see Shayera Thal and Jade flicked away like so much dust and ash.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 02/06/06 02:16 PM
I loved the mini-series, but this special upset me a lot.

I loved it at first, though. Very nice cover by Gibbons (he may not be drawing much these days, but that's probably why he's better than ever when he does draw); Reis and company's art is just as dynamic and detailed as in the mini-series, but with a cleaner line; I loved how much of the spotlight Donna Troy had in the early scenes.

But then...urrrgh, not Jade, nooooo! Does DC have some kind of vendetta against Roy Thomas or something?

Bad enough that they refuse to ressurect Katma Tui, and now Jade's dead, too! mad

Kyle...erm, Ion...um...yeah...that's a cool Starlin-esque "cosmic face" he's got now. It doesn't matter to me much either way. But since Ron Marz has clawed his way out of the pits of hell where he deserves to be (IMHO) and somehow gotten a new assignment from DC, I will most certainly not be reading the upcoming Ion ongoing.

And I agree with Cobie -- more Adam Strange, more, more, more! (Hope you didn't mind me borrowing your catch-phrase there, Harbi.) wink
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 02/08/06 03:14 AM
This series has been the big action book of the Coutdown minis. It set up the massive universe of fascinating characters that DC has stabled.

Jade's death was rathher blase', a typical hero death. I was never particularly attached to her, and she had been the favoured to die since it was announced in the special's solicits.

The shame is that DC has to kill younger characters because readers can't say good bye to older ones.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/06/08 04:34 PM
Anyone else buy the Adam Strange Rann/Thanagar Holy War special?

There was a Hawkman one earlier this year (and, boy, did it potentially open a can of space-worms...)

Anyway, the heroes face a time-faring villain named Synnar (spelling?) who fills their head with cryptic statements. Mostly centered around the 'Aberrant Six', a group that Adam and Hawks are apparently a part of.

With that name, I half-expected the group to consist of Obsidian, Piper, Batwoman, Question II, Icemaiden and Tasmanian Devil.

From Synnar's M.O. and the inclusion of Hawkman, I figured Donna Troy would be the next stop. But Adam's place in this 6 has me puzzled.

There's a possible glimpse of future Thanagar that apparently gives away the ultimate ending of this long-lived War. But, maybe not- given the shiting sands sort of approach that seems tied to Synnar.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/07/08 07:57 PM
I picked up the Hawkman special. It was okay, but really not a full story. The Aberrant Six thing just screams hack writing, a cheap way to build suspense. And the revelations behind the latest Hawkman incarnation don't bode well for the character.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: The Rann/Thanagar War (SPOILERS!) - 09/20/08 03:55 PM
Throneworld's now destroyed. I was hoping a new issue would see some amelioration of that plot from last month. But not to be.

Poor outer-space Starman. Another 'Last son'.

I hope someone or other snaps Lady Styx's neck, or whatever body part will render her fully dead and unable to return. I hate her, and not in a good way.

I hope there's a payoff ahead, because this ongoing Rann/Thanagar stuff is more than beginning to wear. And the cosmic religions? I've pretty much had my fill of them, too. Lady Styx/Space Church can join the Spectre and 'bad' Mary Marvel in the Lex Luthor/Joker club of properties/ideas I don't want to see again for at least half a decade.
© Legion World