Legion World
Posted By: Blue Battler New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 01:45 AM
This may be why the Star Trek DVD compilations are going down in price.

I'm thinking about buying the old versions now before they're changed ...
Posted By: matlock Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 03:29 AM
That's just sad. I get that Trek is in a low period right now but that's just wrong. It makes my skin crawl.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 03:34 AM
The space scenes I can live with. But to redo the theme is sacrilege. shake
Posted By: matlock Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 03:37 AM
I think it's the digital extras that sounds extra-awful.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 03:47 AM
I'll withhold judgment until I see the episodes. As much as I love the original series, many of its effects are dated by today's standards. And while Star Trek was always about much more than special effects, a few cosmetic enhancements to appeal to modern viewers might not be so bad.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 04:03 AM
Could be they're trying to pave the way visually for the rumored Original Series reboot.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 05:35 AM
Jeepers! I don't know what everyone is so worried about! This could be the coolest thing since Lucas re-did the original Star Wars Trilogy!

Oh... wait... wink
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 05:38 AM
Edith Keeler did not shoot first!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 05:50 AM
This really sucks, man.
Posted By: KryptonKid Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 11:14 AM
The Okudas have done good work in the past, so I am not discouraged. Besides, new viewers who might otherwise be turned off by the retro-tech might become fans and perpetuate the franchise. We can only hope.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 08:56 PM
"We're taking great pains to respect the integrity and style of the original," says Michael Okuda,
I read this more as "We're trying to see how much we can milk out of the original."

Give us something new.

Ligtning Lad,

Edith Keeler lol
Posted By: MLLASH Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 10:46 PM
What, what??!? The link isn't compatible with my crappy webTV... somebody spill!
Posted By: Reboot Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 10:52 PM
HDTV versions of the original Star Trek, with replacement effects - e.g.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: armsfalloffboy Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 10:52 PM
I don't know that I'm as shocked or saddened by this as much as some of you, but what, really, is the point? Besides those AR Trekkies, who is really going to care that much? Yes, I know the point is money, but are they really going to get that much cash out of this? What we need is good space opera--the only place to get it these days is BSG.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 10:53 PM
Lash,

Basically, they will be taking the old episodes and adding in today's special effects. The old show has been digitally remastered and will be appearing in syndication starting on Sept 16th.

According to the article CGI people will be added to some background, Painted alien landscapes will now have moving clouds.

They also have re-recorded the theme song and have added in a singer.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 10:55 PM
Basically, TOS is returning to syndication for the first time since 1990, but they're re-mastering it with new digital special effects, redoing the space scenes, making the alien landscapes more extensive/"realistic", and filling up empty space stations with digital crew member. Plus, they're re-recording the theme in stereo.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 10:59 PM
And as usual, Legion World is full of many eager to satisfy Lash's whims!

You know... I was thinking last time I saw an episode of TNG that it seems pretty cheesy and dated these days.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: New Old Star Trek - 09/01/06 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
You know... I was thinking last time I saw an episode of TNG that it seems pretty cheesy and dated these days.
The first article I read, not the TV Guide version, had someone involved with the "restoration" who said if this goes well they'll be doing the same thing to TNG next.
© Legion World