Legion World
Posted By: rickshaw1 Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/09/24 11:53 PM
Wolverine and Harley Quinn.

Look, they were good characters, but they've been overused so damn much I don't want to see anything with them. Yeah, Supes and Bats, Spiderman...well, they grandfathered in.

But these two...man, can't we get something else for about ten minutes.

Yeah yeah, they sell. Woo and hoo.

I can't get one decent legion or JSA book, but they slop them pigs endlessly.

Meh.
agree, the overuse makes me roll my eyes.

Joker a bit, too. but Wolvie and Harley are every-freaking-where...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/10/24 08:53 PM
Just wait until Harley gets claws.

Not sure I've read a Harley comic. All over covers, and I might have looked at a couple of pages of Suicide Squad. Just enough to know it's not a patch on Ostrander's and moved on.

Wolverine will always be the poster child for the emotionally stunted to me. That writers have Jean Grey, or anyone else go near him, is hilarious.
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/10/24 10:36 PM
Agree on Wolverine completely.

I was getting Harley burn out, but the Animated Series has given her a good boost and I really like the show.
also overexposed: Deadpool. Joker. Oh, here's an idea. Maybe if we make them a little more Clockwork Orange?
Lobo was that in the 90's, but when that cooled down in the 00s, his occasional appearances were pretty fun.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/11/24 06:01 PM
I loathe the Arrow Family with a passion and have for years. I know it's often considered blasphemy to dislike Dinah Lance, but I don't care.

I feel that over the last decade Roy and Lian Harper have been treated as nothing but accessories to other characters at the cost of their growth and continued existence as a family. Roy especially is used as a prop, either for Red Hood, the Titans, or the Arrows. In the past five years since he was initially killed and brought back, there's been more focus on how this traumatized Green Arrow than there's been focus on how Roy was affected by all this after he was brought back. I'm sick of how the Harpers only gain consideration if it's convenient for someone else's narrative.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/11/24 06:47 PM
Hang on, isn't there a JSA series still coming out?
Originally Posted by thoth lad

Ah, but Rick wants a decent one. wink
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Originally Posted by thoth lad

Ah, but Rick wants a decent one. wink

LOL. lol
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/11/24 09:51 PM
EDE's, you nailed it.

So far, this has been...well, it's been.

I get no real love for the characters, no impelling storyline, all the delays have literally made it forgettable for me. If I cannot from one issue to the next remember what the sexual intercourse is going on, it's shit.
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
EDE's, you nailed it.

So far, this has been...well, it's been.

I get no real love for the characters, no impelling storyline, all the delays have literally made it forgettable for me. If I cannot from one issue to the next remember what the sexual intercourse is going on, it's shit.

Seconded!
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
also overexposed: Deadpool. Joker. Oh, here's an idea. Maybe if we make them a little more Clockwork Orange?

Deadpool was another name that popped in my head!
Deadpool was fun when he just had a cult following. Once Marvel decided to vault him into the big time, he got gimmicky and boring.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/12/24 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Deadpool was fun when he just had a cult following. Once Marvel decided to vault him into the big time, he got gimmicky and boring.

Working in a comic store, I've noticed Deadpool is nowhere near as popular or in demand as he used to be. His last series only ran to ten issues before they relaunched it.

He really is to Marvel what Harley Quinn is for DC. Both of them were extremely popular and beloved, and now even with him having three movies and her getting her own TV show, their comics don't sell at anywhere near the numbers they once did before they were everywhere.

Although in Harley's case, it doesn't help that DC doesn't really know what to do with her or what the point of her character is. Redesigning her in 2011 was truly the worst thing they could've done for her. For her current series, my store can BARELY sell four copies of her newest issues every month.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/12/24 04:36 AM
Strangely enough the first time I came across Deadpool was in DC - kind of.

In Superman/Batman Annual #1 2006, Joe Kelly does a modern retelling of the Silver Age adventure where Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are on a cruise and have to share a cabin and discover each others identity. This version has a similar setup but also involves multi-dimensional hijinks with the Earth-3 villains and Deathstroke attempting to fulfill a hit contract on Bruce Wayne. Bruce is saved by a differnt version of Deathstroke, wearing a similar but slightly different costume and who talks kooky and keeps going through several sword stabbed through him and other assorted wounds. He keeps trying to tell the heroes his name but keeps getting interupted, only getting as far as "Deaaa..." before disappearing.

It was a few years later before I discovered that he was a homage to another character, doubly ironic considering the creative decisions regarding Wade WIlson.
ach these silly homages tongue
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Characters I'm thoroughly sick of... - 04/12/24 03:24 PM
Right. Joe Kelly was doing a whole thing lampooning how Deadpool started off as just Rob Liefeld's shameless knock off of Deathstroke.
© Legion World