Legion World
Posted By: Korbal "Colossal" Worlds of the DC Universe... - 01/05/05 10:23 AM
What is Gim's new homeworld? Off the top of the head I can think of four planets known to have enormous inhabitants:

KLORRA:SUPERBOY #217--Inhabitants killed by an epidemic--could Gim be a sole survivor like Jan?

KNI: ACTION COMICS#392--Asteroid where Gim found a giant spearhead he kept as a trophy.

XANN:World considered by Jor-El to send his son Kal-El where he would have opearted as the super-powered yet diminutive "Birdman."

YAR: ADVENTURE COMICS# 337: A huge wedding ring was displayed in the Legion trophy room.

Can anyone recall any others?
Good call Korbal. Will be interesting to see if Waid uses any of these!!!
Posted By: Greybird Re: "Colossal" Worlds of the DC Universe... - 01/05/05 01:07 PM
All these items recall the whimsy that was common in the "Adventure" and "Action" Legion eras ... more so than now, anyway. I wish the new conception, as promising as it is, wasn't quite So Very Serious.

"Birdman" would have been a hoot to see in a one-shot, but too much of the "Land of the Giants" -- remember that cheesy TV series? -- wouldn't have worn well in the long run. We're humans, and those heroes-among-us have to (mostly) be humanoid-like-us to resonate. Including in size. Riffs on the theme, yes, but not changing the theme, if it's going to consistently sell.
Wasn't there a Puppet Planetoid, where the remains of giant puppets existed? They must have had giant inhabitants operating said puppets ...
Also, there was Super World from earlier issues of the current JLA run (#20's? - Grant Morrison) where all the inhabitants there were super powered and giant.
I remember reading an issue of Superboy and the Ravers that had a giant world in it. The Ravers were pretty much Superboy's first team... except it was more of an endless party than a superhero team. The "Rave" would teleport between planets and dimensions quite often.

One of the worlds they landed on (to evade the space police) was a planet of inanimate giants. The landscape was all these giants frozen in place. Some were walking and some were sitting and some kinda looked like they were talking to each other. The book never explained why they were frozen like that. It was kinda weird. But that concept and visual has stuck with me.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: "Colossal" Worlds of the DC Universe... - 01/06/05 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Wasn't there a Puppet Planetoid, where the remains of giant puppets existed? They must have had giant inhabitants operating said puppets ...
This has my vote for point of Gim's new origin.
© Legion World