Legion World
Well, I haven't. What are you gonna do about it?
hey TD !!

i haven't read it, either !!

Matthew.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: I *STILL* haven't read "Space Circus". - 07/07/03 02:44 PM
You're missing out on one of the greatest issues that you probably never should read...ever!
Hey, I don't even own it!
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: I *STILL* haven't read "Space Circus". - 07/07/03 03:21 PM
GASP!?!?!?!?!

THE HORROR!!!
Posted By: Pov Re: I *STILL* haven't read "Space Circus". - 07/07/03 04:07 PM
TD Dear,

Is this your subtle hint for me to send you some more mail? wink

I'll look through my extras when I get home tonight... I'm sure I have both chapters for you...! tongue
What are you talking about? I have both issues!
But I guess I have issues with the issues!
Are you referring to "Space Circus ... of DEATH! "? Neat little murder mystery with nice Ric Estrada art -- why not read that?
So, did she ever read this?

I still don't own it.
Posted By: Stu Re: I *STILL* haven't read "Space Circus". - 11/21/03 03:10 AM
I've never seen an image of the cover(s) or any interior art, nor even read so much as a synopsis of the story -- let alone read the story itself.

What volume of the Archives is/would it be in?
Posted By: Pov Re: I *STILL* haven't read "Space Circus". - 11/21/03 03:15 AM
15 or 16, if they ever get that far...
Pay attention!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: I *STILL* haven't read "Space Circus". - 04/01/08 07:41 AM
Maybe it's time I reread this...
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I still don't own it.
Still true!
I recently read this about three or four years ago...and hardly remember any of the details! I certainly don't remember loving it. Perhaps I need a reread from a "use obscure bits of this issue for threads on Legion World" point of view and I'd then turn out to love it?
[b]I still don't own it.
Still true![/b]
Still true!
Must re-read.
The best reason to read "Space Circus" is it actually makes you appreciate other good stories a little more.
I remember that story when it came out. I liked it then, but I was ten or eleven at the time. I don't think it would hold up all that well. shrug
Finally re-read the story. SO not worthy of being a 2 parter.

Biggest peeve - they mis-colored Jecky's hair yellow in #261 ! Bleh! Oh, and I was saying in another thread that it'd be interesting to pay attention to how much and what she says to other characters in issues like this one. Basically, she was rude and abrupt with Brainy, but she was sympathetic, almost *caring* toward Timber Wolf. Otherwise, not much if any interaction with anyone else. Oh, and she complained that she was "not cut out" for playing a fortune teller when they went undercover. Too much interaction with the commoners?

There were some somewhat interesting bit part characters and some excellent creatures. For example, this is the Venusian Night Shark. Drawing by Drake, colors by Loser Lad...

[Linked Image]
I've read it....don't remember much about it. Now I'm going to have to reread it. Which is probably good because I haven't read any Legion in a while and even bad Legion from this era is good because a) you know it will get better in time and b) because you know if you work hard enough you can find SOMETHING to enjoy (even if it is in a completely inappropriate way).

Also looking forward to weird space monsters, those are always fun (but nothing, NOTHING, beats the Super Moby Dick of Space in terms of great utterly ridiculous monster designs)
Posted By: Jerry Re: I *STILL* haven't read "Space Circus". - 01/05/10 04:02 AM
Which leads me to a question I've been pondering all weekend...

Was Gerry Conway a bad writer? I spent some time this weekend re-reading some 1970s Justice League of America. My memory is that Englehart was amazing on JLA, and the book took a major drop in quality when Conway took over. My experience in re-reading is that Englehart was marginally better than Conway. I'm beginning to think that Conway was a fairly good writer who just got really overworked and burned out by the time he got to the Legion. Other thoughts?
Jerry, I'll start a new thread about this because I'd like to participate.

The Conway era was special to me because it was during my Jr. High years. I hated Jr. High.

Without looking back at reference, I'd say the plots were not bad, but the execution of the stories were weak. Also, the art was pretty bland after such greats as Cockrum and Grell. Joe Staton and Jimmy Janes did respectable work, just.... dull. Also, the spectacular work of Levitz/Giffen follows the Conway era, so it (the Conway era) does sort of fall away in comparison.
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
[b]I still don't own it.
Still true![/b]
Still true!

I don't own it, either. I don't own any Conway Legion issues beyond the first appearance of the League of Super-Assassins.

The Gerry Conway re-read proposed in this thread did happen, and it produced a great thread. I'll be right back to edit in a link.

EDIT:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=56640&page=1
I actually do own this story now!

At least in digital form...
Thanks for sharing the link, Fanfie. I enjoyed re-reading the old comments. Hard to believe that was six years ago!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I *STILL* haven't read "Space Circus". - 12/07/16 05:17 PM
I've read it...
twice...
at least...
maybe three times...
Oh, I know my way around a space circus all right...
© Legion World