Legion World
Posted By: Lightning Lad LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/24/08 09:42 PM
Comics Continuum has a five page preview of #40, which is due out this Wednesday. Unless they come up with a way to explain how these "creatures" aren't really living it looks to me like the good old clause against killing is tossed right out the door.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/24/08 09:47 PM
Newsarama has the same preview with slightly larger images.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/24/08 10:09 PM
Hmm... this preview doesn't really excite me very much.

The one thing I do really like is the reference to Brainy's "force-shield" as opposed to "force-field".
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/24/08 10:20 PM
Well, I like seeing Brainy and Shady in action. Good teamwork, there.
Posted By: Sir Tim Drake Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/25/08 01:24 AM
I like this preview. It reminds me of the interaction between Shady and Brainy in Shady's first two appearances.

I wonder if Shady can't see in darkness anymore. Brainy had to tell her where the poleax was.

Also, it's impressive that Shady can eat more than her body weight in six hours and still maintain that slim figure!
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/25/08 01:43 AM
i think i love there new way of getting around makes them trow up..we may get the return of space ships yay
Posted By: Zero Kahn Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/25/08 02:29 PM
Just by looking at those few pages this was the first time I actully felt like I was seeing Brainiac 5 in the Legion again instead of "Vril Dox in the future" like we have been seeing for the last 3 1/2 years.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/25/08 02:53 PM
I thought the preview was delightful! We get to see Shady in her native habitat, find out that she eats A LOT, learn a little more about "barbaric" Talokians, and see Brainiac 5 hurl. The "you'll find out" line was priceless. It fit the 3boot but wasn't so snarky it annoyed me. I agree with ZK about Brainiac. Here he is very smart, but not insufferably arrogant and disdainful. He actually seems to CARE about Shady. In therapy this would be called a "breakthrough."
Posted By: jimgallagher Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/25/08 03:32 PM
I don't like it that Shady can't see in the dark. What good is blinding everyone if she's blind too?
Posted By: Tromium Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/25/08 04:01 PM
If Shady were blind she wouldn't be able to bring down the ax exactly where Brainy told her to. I think she's just surprised Brainy isn't blind and noticed the ax before she did.

This is so much more *visceral* than the Waid/Kitson issues, it takes some getting used to. I bet the Talokians were planning to eat that creature before it self-destructed. (If they eat protean rectal tissue, they'll probably eat anything.)
Posted By: josh_jesterworld Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/25/08 06:06 PM
Was that a boom tube Brainy used? It was mentioned in the first Shooter issue... Brainy getting sick was a priceless entrance into battle, lol. ^_- Shady looks amazing. Really looking forward to the new costumes kicking in though. Not sure it is a good idea to delay them actually wearing them, if they want readers to take to this newer version of the threeboot.

The way I see it is if we are going to end up with 2 monthly Legions (not counting animated), then reboot characters should be brought into the threeboot world to strengthen it a bit. Have the "original" Action/Lighning Saga team in one book, and the "second and third act" Legions together in another (representing '95 and forward). Maybe possible with the Legion of Three Worlds coming up. I don't see all three merging at this point (what with the popularity of the originals return in Action), but this could help the threeboot to have merit to continue forward...
Posted By: wamu2 Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/26/08 08:18 PM
another good issue. this Shooter guy is pretty good, what else has he written? smile

I like the touch of showing that wormhole travel has a side effect. which makes sense, it hasn't been fine tuned and/or is less gentle than transmat system.

nice to see that Ultra Boy and Chameleon get along so well.

anyone wants to bet that Saturn Girl is going to break that whole don't invade team members rule anytime soon?

nice call about Projectra's and Orando's debt owed and owned. but she really needs to reign(heh) in her attitude. Temper Wolf looks mild mannered by comparsion.

a yocto is 10exp-24. wow those trajectories are really parallel.
Posted By: The Man From Cargg Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/26/08 09:50 PM
I really enjoyed this issue. Not a lot of action but lots of legionnaire inter-action. Fun.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/26/08 09:53 PM
Shooter had me entertained. I like the character touches he put in.

Cham's doggy training instructions for TimberWolver...Wolf had me in stitches. Imra has her hussy back. Lots of sexy innuendo in this issue. Also liked the running gag with the teleportion, though it was a bit childish. Tinya is vain about her fashionable duds, I suspect Brainy owes her a pair of boots.

Interesting to see Shooter show Talok since he created it all those years ago. Though his version was industrial and urban with crazy wilderness. I imagine the Talokians he envisioned would be somewhat like what the Klingons turned out to be like in Star Trek.

The chalets on Triton were a nice touch, I've been impressed with the design work for the settings overall since the new team took over.
Posted By: The Man From Cargg Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/26/08 10:18 PM
Oh... and Trip's innuendo about the rumours of KK's total control of his physical body was very amusing. Of course KK would be the one legionnaire who is into tantric sex!
Posted By: wamu2 Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/26/08 10:42 PM
anyone care to guess what Giselle is up to? a conditionally commuted sentence and an encrypted letter in her file. sounds like a Dirty Dozen/Suicide Squad type mission.

I still think Projectra needs to treat others better, but on second look the one tourist was being rather pushy about getting a photo.

lastly given all the skin in the last view issues, how long before the CW makes a television adaptation of the LSH. the only question, would it lead or come after One Tree Hill? smile
Posted By: Sir Tim Drake Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 12:02 AM
I loved this issue! Shooter did a brilliant job of giving on-panel time to every character, even those who barely had any role in the story, like Cham. Francis also deserves a lot of credit for this. He inserted lots of little details that provided insight into the various Legionnaires' characters, like the sports equipment in Garth's bedroom. There were numerous laugh-out-loud moments (the coffee bit, Ayla's description of her night with Val) and the scene with Garth and Ayla was heartwarming.

I find it curious that the mysterious person in the chair from last issue was not mentioned at all. That's pretty much my only complaint.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
I loved this issue! Shooter did a brilliant job of giving on-panel time to every character, even those who barely had any role in the story, like Cham. Francis also deserves a lot of credit for this. He inserted lots of little details that provided insight into the various Legionnaires' characters, like the sports equipment in Garth's bedroom. There were numerous laugh-out-loud moments (the coffee bit, Ayla's description of her night with Val) and the scene with Garth and Ayla was heartwarming.

I find it curious that the mysterious person in the chair from last issue was not mentioned at all. That's pretty much my only complaint.
i think the person in the chair was that kid who like trivia

i loved this issue a lot happened with out a lot happening i loved that, and i do loved the toned down snarky brainy, my one thought about this was is kk over his thing with phantom girl? if he jumped in bed with light lass i guess so
Posted By: Sir Tim Drake Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 12:20 AM
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
i think the person in the chair was that kid who like trivia
I think so too, but it would be nice to have it confirmed.
Posted By: Mediocre Boy Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 12:26 AM
This was the first Shooter issue that I enjoyed. I'm not really sure why, though. Oh, well; I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Posted By: Askanipsion Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 01:59 AM
What a great issue! Nice to see that it is acknowledged Lightning Lad & Irma are a couple.

Lightning Lad.............wow what a hottie!!!! YUM YUM YUM! If him & Irma ever break up, he can give me a call. smile

Shady looked great! Best she has EVER looked! I just wish she would do more with her power beside create darkness - maybe branch it out into dark bolts that cause damage or create shadow-stuff weapons.

KK is just walking around like he is the ultimate stud with his shirt hanging open...LOL..if only he knew he is always destined to die in every incarnation....LOL

I also think Irma will break her vow to not invade minds...I think it will involve Timber again who seems to be going real savage.

Brainy was great without being overly obnoxious.

Everyone got screen time which was great. Shooter is really getting into his stride. In my opinion, Legion is the best book on the market right now.

AWESOME artwork - love all the detail.Francis is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists.

My only gripe....no Dreamer yet frown
Posted By: Jerry Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 03:42 AM
Not only was this a fun issue, but it was also pretty dramatic. Wow! There was a lot packed into it.

The cover was my least favorite of the Manapul's so far. Not a big problem, though, because I guess he just saved all the good stuff for the interiors. I commented on the fresh feel of his work last month. He maintains it this issue, and really seems to progress as a storyteller. The action and interaction flow really well. There were so many little touches that you can tell were added by Francis, and not derived from the script. Each change of scene brings a whole new feel. Most impressive is way the artwork helps bring out the personalities that Shooter is instilling in the characters. The body language for everyone just fits in terms of dialogue, situation, and personality. I wonder if he works real hard to accomplish that or if it just flows naturally from his pencils. Artists really amaze me sometimes. All that and more beefcake Garth. I got my money's worth. God, I hope he gives Rokk the same treatment when he finally comes home.

Okay, the puking everytime someone went through the wormhole was kind of sophomoric. I was pretty grossed out at first, but by the time Tinya was threatening to puke on Brainy's shoes I couldn't help but laugh. And, yay, a kinder gentler Brainiac 5. This wasn't a total departure from Waid's characterization but just a nice toning down. More of that orgainic change Shooter promised.

I loved the way everyone took sides in the dispute between Brin and Imra. It reminded me of the Adventure era debates over whether to expell a member or something. You couldn't wait to see how each Legionnaire would vote because it revealed just a little more of their personality. That feeling was accomplished here, through dialogue and artwork, in just a few short pages without the help of a monitor board flashing out the verdict. Well done, S and M. I, too, have the feeling that Imra will break her promise by the end of Shooter's run.

Garth stepping up and becoming the leader that we all knew he could be was an excellent payoff for the storyline that was building over the last few issues. Ayla's warmth and support was a bonus. Promiscuious, smart, caring and tough. I'm really beginning to like this girl. Perhaps one of the best versions of Ayla we've seen in any incarnation of the Legion. The scene made me think that she might make a darn good leader herself at some point. That's something we haven't seen in any era of the Legion yet. I would love to see it.

Great interaction between Karate Kid and Triplicate Girl. Invisble Kid is coming across as much more likable and competent.

Poor Projectra. Those bastards. I hope she did shoplift that braclet. It would be totally justified. I was impressed with the cliffhanger. Most of today's comics give us an overdone final splash page with a revelation that rarely has much payoff in later issues. This was just a communication blurb from Timber Wolf in the final panel that dropped a bombshell, and has me eagerly awaiting next issue to find out exactly what Projectra did.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 11:24 AM
The roll call scene was awesome. Have we ever had a team intro like that yet in this series?

I like that IK isn't so invisible anymore. The one line where Brainy is explaining things, and he says cool... so much character in that.

The ongoing KK bit is fun. I don't think he and Ayla have hooked up yet, but it's nice to see the horny teens from WaK still around.

Garth really came into his own as a commanding presence for such a diverse group. He may not be an administrator, but he sure knows how to keep people in line.

The Timber Wolf/Saturn Girl was a nice prelude to Wolf's call for help at the end of the issue. Seeing Projectra's breakdown worries me a bit. Sounds liek lawyers in the future are as detrimental to society as they are now. wink (Love ya Quis)

The art in the beginning of the issue seemed sharper than at the end. It's good work, but it felt a bit rushed.
Posted By: Tromium Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 01:45 PM
I loved this issue, too. Kudos to FJM for all the morsels of silent characterization -- like Trip sitting on Jan's lap, Jo yanking Cham's antenna, Saturn Girl turning her head away from Garth in shame, and Brin bowing and kissing Jeckie's hand.

Light on super-hero action, to be sure, but chock full of suprises. The shocking political reasons for Jeckie's dethronement. Garth siding with Brin against Imra -- even ready to expel her. A being as exotic and surly as Giselle having the ordinary surname "Smith" and parents who admire the Legion because of an act of bravery by Lighting Lad. Projectra has killed someone? (Probably not, but I have my suspicions about that bracelet ....)

Priceless moment -- Brainy flailing his arms in the air and screaming "The Alien Destroyers?!" while everyone else is busy arguing about Saturn Girl's guilt. (The reaction of each Legionnaire towards Saturn Girl and Timber Wolf was spot on true to character, though I'm not quite sure why Atom Girl would feel so protective of Brin. A secret crush perhaps?)

Best line of the month: A tie between "If you speak to him softly, in short sentences, he's calmer ..." and "Can I come home now and retch again ... preferably on your shoes?" Runner up: "Bring my blonde friend a decaf, please." The slang didn't seem so intrusive this time.

Best character of the month. A tie between Brainy and Lightning Lad -- opposite poles of the character spectrum yet each so wonderfully appealing in his own unique fashion. Ayla is her usual warm and delightful self and this Saturn Girl is beginning to intrigue me. One more false hussy move and blondie is out on her iron butt! Yet her promise to Garth goes against her very nature.

I think I can guess the nature of the spy mission Invisible Kid and Brainy are going to undertake next issue. As for Giselle's secret pact with the President -- if she suddenly makes an appearance at Legion HQ, I'll know her for a U.P. plant.

Whoever it was who said Shooter's characters were "flat" and uninteresting must be reading a different book. This issue was well nigh pitch perfect where it counts the most. I really wanted to be there at HQ drinking Siberian coffee with my old friends.
Posted By: Sir Tim Drake Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Tromium:
Trip sitting on Jan's lap

Huh. I didn't even notice that.

By the way, was "my blonde friend" a reference to Brainy or Imra?
Posted By: Tromium Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Garth ordered the decaf for Brainy because B5 was the only blonde yelling in his ear when it was time for everyone to "chill" for a moment.

About Trip and Jan -- now I'm really getting scared about the forthcoming wedding. Does anyone really like them as a romantic couple? Not me.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 03:01 PM
I'm guessing the wedding is Wolf/Princess.
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 03:42 PM
The Legion is bringing sexy back.

Sorry had to do it, but this issue is fierce.

LL's bedroom, KK coming in like a stud.

Great read in my opinion.
Posted By: stephbarton Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 03:47 PM
There's a wedding?

I really enjoyed this issue, with LL showing that he is a strong leader (yay resolution) with IK using detective skills and being sneaky (and Brainy being sneaky as well sending a team out without LL knowing) the character interaction (esp Ultra Boy pulling Cham's antena).

I really liked the scene where everyone was discussing Imra's actions, to me that is how you show inter-team conflict, not just by having someone insult Ultra Boy. I really liked how they took sides and had a debate (kinda), it shows they aren't all mindless and each has their own viewpoint. Nice.

My only complaint is that I don't see Timber Wolf, I see Wolverine, he is a bit too feral and violent for my taste. Waid's characterization was never quite as crazy violent and it just bugs me that that is what we are seeing so much of. I really don't want to read about Wolverine in ANY comic, much less a DC one!

However, I was really surprised at how Brin greeted Projectra by kissing her hand, very gentalmanly but five seconds prior he was talking about ripping people throats out. I hope to see more about the influence she has on him. (which judging by the ending we will see).

Really liked Ayla in this, especially the moments between her and Garth, nice sibling touch (which always seemed to be lacking in other incarnations). I also think Ayla would make a strong leader, she certainly comes across as very strong and about the Legion in this version.

Good stuff.
Posted By: Lad Boy Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 05:10 PM
This was a fun read, I was on the verge of taking another Legion hiatus (the last one was 15 years long.)

I'm a huge Kitson fan; and according to Dennis Calero, I make up about 20% of his fan base, but I'm on board with Francis now -- really, naked Garth in bed was not the turning point, really.

The lack of slang was refreshing. Shooter's style is very narrative/dialog intensive. The slang is distracting.

Coffee line: I interpreted the decaf to be for Dream Girl -- sort of an in-joke between Brainy and his cerebral playmate.

With the exception of Timberwolf and Projectra, I like Shooter's evolutionary growth of the characters Waid was establishing. And I can accept the undesirable transformations of those two characters given the storylines -- Projectra becomes antisocial after having her entire world destroyed -- I hope she killed a Terra Forma member. Timberwolf loses control as his ferocious feral aspect assumes more prominence. Sad, in both cases, but reasonable.

looking forward to 41 and beyond.
Posted By: Askanipsion Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
-- really, naked Garth in bed was not the turning point, really.
You should say it WAS the reason so we see MORE of naked Garth smile More naked Garth !

Naked Timber might be nice too!
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Lad Boy:

Coffee line: I interpreted the decaf to be for Dream Girl -- sort of an in-joke between Brainy and his cerebral playmate.
isn't the list of people who know about that small? as far we know dream boy, phantom girl, and imra know? (I'm not counting cosmic boy because he cant tell any one) Atom girl doesn't even know

i think that was meant for like a take a chill pill
I'm pretty sure Garth ordered the decaf for Brainy because B5 was the only blonde yelling in his ear when it was time for everyone to "chill" for a moment.

About Trip and Jan -- now I'm really getting scared about the forthcoming wedding. Does anyone really like them as a romantic couple? Not me.
i dont like them as a couple, but then again we haven't really seen that much of there personalty
in this legion yet jan hasn't really done anything of any type of value yet

but i am routing for a break up now that science police officer Shvaugh is coming to the picture (i thought they were a good couple, they had real problems with him constantly having to leave for legion duty's.)

side note:

any one else getting really sick of the UP all up in the legion business? i wish that would stop sometime soon, cant then send in someone smart(it doesn't have to be brainy it can be IK or one of the other smart people on the team they have a few) that could work together to get different contract made up? hell they could get matter eater lad to write one up, if any thing the legion is like a SP force but with super powers, and you dont see any of the crap the legion is going threw on that on the Sp end
Posted By: wamu2 Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/27/08 11:20 PM
at some point I am sure the legion will find a loophole in the contract, or they will do something so politically upsetting that the UP will ask them to resign in order to save face.
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 12:30 AM
I thought it was an OK issue. The interpersonal stuff was good - especially Garth's leadership development. I had a good read until about 2/3 of the way in (I think about the point when the story started forking off with the Projectra stuff) and then I started to get a bit bored.

I think the problem there for me is that the Projectra character isn't really doing anything for me (and never really has). I also find that I am STILL warming up to most of these characters.

I think Shooter is doing an excellent job in keeping the characters in sync with what has come before in this version, but developing them further - which is why ultimately I think this is a good read.
Posted By: Lass Girl Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 12:47 AM
This issue has officially restored my faith in this comic!

There are a lot of lines that I enjoyed but my favorite exchange is:

KK: Brainiac 5 wouldn’t send us here without authorization, would he?
Trip: That’s a joke, right?

I especially liked the panel where Brainy has his hand is over his face when the decontamination crew comes in and the panel below that one where Brainy’s hands are on his head.

Poor Brainy keeps getting blown off. I’ve seen that happen in the other Legion comics and in the animated series. That joke never gets old!
hmmm
Posted By: Size Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 04:51 AM
So Garth is weak and ineffective as a leader... until Imra returns.

Hmmm...

Really, really, glad Shooter is dropping the depiction of Brainy as a major pain the butt. And B-5's new teleportation system can't be traced, in case Shooter returns to the "Legion on the run" story line from the past...
Posted By: Kid Quislet Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 12:56 PM
I thought it was another great issue. We get to see a large number of Legionnaires, and not just standing around the clubhouse. We get the background on why Saturn Girl will not tamper (anymore) with the minds of fellow Legionnaires, unless in an emergency. This was often spoken about in past versions, but never really illustrated before. The different arguments for/against makes for dynamic interaction between team members without a physical slugfest.

I find it interesting that T-Wolf and Phantom Girl seem at odds with each other in this version, in contrast to the "Cub" storyline in the previous version.

While I'm not panicking yet, Light Lass seems to be Lightning Lad's sister rather than her own person (IMO) in the past four issues. It was good to see her on the cover, but she needs a good, solid mission sometime soon.

I also agree with the post that mentions Brainy being Brainy 5 again rather than Vril Dox. Mr. Shooter is doing a great job!
Posted By: jimgallagher Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 01:38 PM
I thought Saturn Girl went awfully quickly from self-righteous mind controller to contrite apologizer. Stand up for what you believe, Imra! And why would T Wolf call her for help of all the Legionnaires he could've called, mere hours after he was supposedly trying to kill her? And since when does Timber Wolverine say please? This seems like pretty extreme flip flopping on the characterization of these 2 iconic personalities to me.

Overall, it was a good read though. I enjoyed seeing 17 whopping Legionnaires appear in one issue for a change, instead of just a handful. And the interaction was handled pretty well. Which begs the question: When are we going to see the missing members again? Sun Boy and Dream Boy were missing from the action. But more importantly, when do we get to see Dream Girl and Mon-El again? and Tenzil! Cosmic Boy was so overused by Waid, that his leave of absence can be extended for a while before I start missing him.

The cover seemed overly dramatic considering it was only portraying a practice drill. Seems like Wolf going for Imra's throat or Shady duking it out with the alien thingy or Projectra committing murder would've been better cover choices.
Posted By: wamu2 Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Size Lad:
So Garth is weak and ineffective as a leader... until Imra returns.

Hmmm...

interesting point. perhaps Imra has been subtly highlighting Garth's leadership qualities. or perhaps it just that he had a good nights sleep and didn't try to respond to every single phone call. time will tell.
Posted By: Set Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 03:55 PM
The art was very spotty on this one, and I fear that Francis may have benefitted a lot from the longer lead-time of those first few issues, and that this might be what he looks like on a monthly schedule. That would make me sad, 'cause I *loved* his art in the first issues. It was very noticeable in the various characters faces, and Giselle's parents looked radically different than Giselle and the others Tritonians in earlier issues.

Star Boy was floating the whole time. I thought that was an interesting touch, the others walking in and Star Boy floating in, and remaining floating even while chatting with Colossal Boy. Just one of those strange little details that leapt out at me.

The argument was also neat.

Star Boy (who was there), Phantom Girl, Brainy and Trip on Saturn Girl's side.

Shadow Lass, Violet and Element Lad strongly against (although Element Lad's argument made him seem again the philsopher type who is reciting stuff he read, rather than having firm convictions of his own, of the 'anti' side, I must identified with Violet).

Invisible Kid kinda sorta against with the whole 'technically a felony' line. Ultra Boy not picking sides, but ready to stand between Phantom Girl and Timber Wolf (aw).

Colossal Boy just standing in the middle, not picking any side. Cham, KK and Ayla also kept their yaps shut, so it's hard to say what 'side' they would be on, if any.

Wouldn't be an irony of epic proportions if Projectra over-reacted and Brin asked Imra to use her powers to 'cover it up?' Situational ethics indeed!

I would have preferred to see a little more Iron Butt in that confrontation as well. Telepathy is her power. If Timber Wolf attacks her, she's well in her rights to fry his brain. 'Cause that's what she does. Nobody is telling Garth that he's not allowed to use *his* powers if someone attacks him!

Then again, the way Garth was looking at Imra in that scene, I wonder if there was some sub-conversation going on telepathically. Something else else like, "Babe, you have to be smarter about this. Remember the 11th Commandment; 'Don't get caught!'"
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 04:46 PM
does any one else think it would have been funnier if Brainy offered everyone food be for he sent them off
Posted By: stephbarton Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 06:21 PM
I think Imra's aplogy/promise to never do it again was a bit hollow, as in she realized a) it was better to keep the peace than divide the Legion and b) next time she won't let anyone know she's doing it

I don't think this is the end of mind manipulating Imra, I think something major is going to have to happen for her to realize it isn't right to control people like she did/does
Posted By: rictor Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/28/08 11:46 PM
does any one else think it would have been funnier if Brainy offered everyone food be for he sent them off
Oh man, that would have been cool!
Posted By: kcekada Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 04:40 AM
An okay issue -- better than #39, but not as strong as 37 and 38.

Really, this title reads like a collection of vignettes. Yeah, some of these are interesting, but where's the story? And the ending seemed abrupt.

Most of the characters seem as harsh and shallow as the Waid legion. Don't know how much more of this I can put up with.

I noticed that I liked T. Wolf's costume much better without the stupid trenchcoat. Just wish it was orange with the middle vertical strip being dark.
Posted By: kcekada Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 04:45 AM
Originally posted by wamu2:
anyone care to guess what Giselle is up to?
The better question might be, :does anyone care about Giselle (period)?

I know I don't. The Legion has enough smart asses already. And her powers weren't very impressive. Besides having an alien physiology, I don't see where she would add anything to the Legion.
Posted By: Sir Tim Drake Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 04:50 AM
I care about Giselle!
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 05:12 AM
lol

Well there! That's at least 3 of us. tongue
Posted By: duck458 Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Size Lad:
[b]So Garth is weak and ineffective as a leader... until Imra returns.

Hmmm...

interesting point. perhaps Imra has been subtly highlighting Garth's leadership qualities. or perhaps it just that he had a good nights sleep and didn't try to respond to every single phone call. time will tell. [/b]
If Garth had the sense that the all-mighty gave him he would have to be questioning whether Imra has been "subtly" influencing him all along. he seems like just that kind of girl to me.
Posted By: insanelad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 03:43 PM
I liked this issue, it was fun, and there ws some action in there, but it also seemed to be a bit of a filler episode - something is building up here, adn I doubt that it will end happily...

Isn't anyone else's Spidey Sense kicking in over Garth? He's gone from bumbling Leader-Idiot to In Control Guy in the space of an issue. I bet the kid int eh chair has something to do with it and he's being influenced somehow.

Negatives: Imra controlling someone with her powers and then getting in trouble for it - ooh, such an original storyline.
Wait a second, no it's not, we've seen it ALL before in Legion Lost when there were greater consequences from it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm quite liking the new turn the book is taking, but it seems to me it's just being turned into the OLD Legion - Brainy is still super-smart, but has a totally different personality from one about 5 issues ago and is turning into the Pre-Threeboot Brainy. Certainly not a bad thing, but it's all been done before, and the tension between him and Rokk certainly was interesting - where's all that gone? (Why haven't they just have Brainy read the bloody UP contract and find a way out of it?)
Seems like they're trying to re-establish the OLD personalities more than build on what Waid established...
Posted By: Tromium Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 05:00 PM
Originally posted by insanelad:
Negatives: Imra controlling someone with her powers and then getting in trouble for it - ooh, such an original storyline.
Wait a second, no it's not, we've seen it ALL before in Legion Lost when there were greater consequences from it.
What consequences did reboot Imra suffer from the terrible abuse of her powers in Legion Lost except a slap on the hand? She should've been court martialed but the whole thing was swept under the rug and forgotten once the survivors got home. Ditto her manipulating Cosmic Boy's unconscious body like a puppet. Zero consequences for her.

Imra's account is way, way past due -- since Adventure #304 and the medallion fiasco. Make her pay up, Mr. Shooter. Not the Jean Grey treatment, but ... something.

(Sorry to rant -- Imra makes me so dang mad sometimes.)

I'm not reading anything into LL's turnaround except a good night's sleep and a chance to de-stress his body and mind, and restore some of his self-confidence. I think the main point of his personal arc over the last 4 issues was to show he's no Einstein and he can be emotionally wonky and wangsty sometimes, but once he gets a grip on himself he may be better leader material than people who are smarter but less ethical (like Imra & Brainy, whose joint mantra has been "the end justifies the means").
Posted By: Zero Kahn Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 05:31 PM
There was one line that got me curious during the big Twolf/Saturn Girl blowout. When Garth was telling Brin that it was his call and Brin basically saying Garth wouldn't do anything about it no matter what he said. Garth line about "Legionaries have been expelled for less". Does that mean that maybe a few preboot members have been part of this Legion in the past and kicked off the team for one reason or another? We know that Wildfire/Erg 1 was with the team in the past before they thought him killed, and that line makes me think there might be others.

It would be an interesting thing to follow up on if they ever show the orgin of this version of the Legion.
Posted By: reckless Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 05:46 PM
I really enjoyed this issue, though I have some qualms about feral Timber Wolf. I didn't understand everyone referring to him as a maniac and a killer. Have we seen anything to support that? I was especialy baffled by Brainy calling T-Wolf a maniac, since it seems so at odds with Brainy using Brin to run errands and whatever past connection there seemed to be between them.

I'm hoping some of this is a ploy. The whole issue with Saturn Girl getting a "last warning" reminds me of classic Legion stories where characters are expelled as part of setting them up to infiltrate villains. Of all the Legionnaires who could easily infiltrate the UP, Saturn Girl would be an obvious choice because of her mom. So maybe the Imra/Brin conflict is designed to set the stage for one or both to be "expelled."
Posted By: Future Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/29/08 09:10 PM
My excitement for Shooter's lessened quicker than I hoped after the first two issues. They were fun, but something wasn't clicking for me. I enjoyed this issue more than the last, but I was still a little underwhelmed story-wise. The art was still solid, I'm just miffed on where everything is going.

Brainy's personaltiy did seem to leave behind the 'Vril Dox' ways. I recall noticing that before I even logged onto the board, much like when Imra's butt first jiggled with some iron again. I'm a fan of either personality, so I'm fine with him here.

It was great seeing other Legionnaires again, as well as some of their relationship points. I couldn't help but notice Jo trying to get between Brin and Tinya. It's the first Jo/Tinya interaction I recall seeing this boot.

While I don't love Projectra Hilton, I'm typically fine with her. She's had some charming moments since Shooter took over and the first two issues I really pitied her for her plight. By now though I'm starting to feel a little clubbed over the head with her situation more than any other plot point. I imagine Jeckie feels that way too.

Having to rely on telepathy solely for communication, I can see how this Imra could more easily lose control and interefere with someone mentally. She has contact in some degree with everyone, especially constantly broadcasting more than receiving. When she's intentionally manipulative though? I felt she did get off a little easy, even with Garth as her surprising executioner to Brin's judge.

Randomly, I hope we get a mission to Cargg sometime. I've wanted to see Lu make a trip home ever since we were first reintroduced to it.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 02:09 AM
i'm hoping that the focus on projecta is going to lead up to something to really good, other wise i'm getting tired if it, its kinda not all that interesting
Posted By: insanelad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 08:05 AM
The consequence for Imra in Legion Lost was that everyone distrusted here and they were in very close quarters so they couldn't get away from each other - here she can simply walk away, and her controlling someone has had no impact whatsoever. Timber Wolf being angry seems to be part of his feralisation, not just on that issue alone.

If Legionnaires have been expelled for less, why has she gotten away with something worse?

And if she's promised not to go into his head again, didn't she immediately break that promise by telling him she wouldn't telepathically?
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 08:19 AM
I suppose it's the difference between communicating, which she can only do telepathically, and controlling.

Why has she gotten away with something worse? Because she's essential to the team? Favoritism? Perhaps the legionnaires were overly hasty in the past when they expelled someone and now have better guidelines for what's right and wrong. In any event, sounds like a future story about who got expelled.

The Projectra sub-plot is one of the most interesting developments. It's not just the complexities of the character, but the political and economic questions which arise from her story. I'm thinking now that the bracelet she took was perhaps her own bracelet, repossessed by creditors and placed for sale at Rothschild's (which sounds more classy than Emporium of Excellence). So in her own mind, it wasn't shoplifting a bauble, it was taking back what was hers.

I suspect - or would like to see - that she has been victim of overzealous creditors, fraudulent accountants and corrupted U.P. officials and has been illegally deprived of her fortune - and rights. She might not regain enough to become Legion benefactor again, since Orando, the source of her income, is toast.

It certainly is good to see Brainy more sociable - but still annoying people.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
The Projectra sub-plot is one of the most interesting developments. It's not just the complexities of the character, but the political and economic questions which arise from her story.
you know what i wouldn't mind it soo much if this was the only political thing happening but from the very start, but with this legion alot of it has to do with political backlash there very first issue had to do with treaty's.

as i stated early i am sick of the Up, interfering with the legion, it just feels that there shoving more of it down our throats with the sub plot

on a side note about the princess, for her being one she seams not to know how to handle the political circus, she acts like a really spoiled child
Posted By: Sir Tim Drake Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 02:08 PM
on a side note about the princess, for her being one she seams not to know how to handle the political circus, she acts like a really spoiled child
But that's exactly what she is, right?
Posted By: wamu2 Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 03:39 PM
good point. Projectra seems to be used to the privileges of rank and position, but has not shown any political sophistication. given how high handed she as been with mere commoners on Earth, I shudder to think how she treated people on Orando.

now contrast Projectra's attitude and ineptitude with that of Shadow Girl. she is in effect the Head of State for Talok VII and she has used that before(during the Wild Fire arc). and for a warrior Shady seems to be far better at interpersonal relations than Projectra.
Posted By: kcekada Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 05:16 PM
Seems like they're trying to re-establish the OLD personalities more than build on what Waid established...
I don't get that at all. Projectra, Timber Wolf, Light Lass and Karate Kid all have been portrayed as nothing like the original version.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 05:47 PM
I sort of feel like trying to explain many of the characters' reactions to things.

Brainy actually needs the other Legionnaires, and since they have limited resources now, he actually has to ...communicate... with them in order to get things done. He started having to do that with Cos, he's been affected by the Dream Girl incident, so, he's coming along in that department.

Garth turned the comlink onto auto answer. That's why he was relaxed and able to handle the inter-personal issues with Imra/Brin and Brainy. Problem is... that was only a temporary fix, as we saw.

I love that Imra was publicly required to vow to stay out of everyone's head. She easily relented, but she was exhausted and in pain. How will she react to that vow once she's better and rested? Jim G.-- I love that it was Brin calling for Imra to help Jecky! And that he added the "please" on the end. Heh. Good boy, Brin!

That reminds me, one of the best things Manapul has done is change hairstlyes to make the legion of brown haired males look more distinct. Yeah, Brin's got kind of an animae look going on, but at least it fits his feral gig. Jo has his Coipel Coiff again, Gim has his classic side part back. Lyle looks like Lyle! Thank you Francis!

Back to Brin... he's been shown to have a distaste for the Legion, and to have a temper, so the fact that he's not fitting in very well is consistent.

I feel like Jecky's plight is taking kind of a lot of panels/pages. Let's wrap this up, eh?

I also feel like the alien destroyers are very generic. I hope something more interesting is going on there. I mean, I know we'll learn who they are and what they want, but I'm looking for a twist.

I allowed almost all of the post WaK issues to collect in a stack at the CBS before I bothered to go get them. I have not let that happen now that S&M are on board! That says something.
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/30/08 06:15 PM
I dunno. I still feel as though I am looking for a character to really like and root for.

I'll give Shooter a grace period so he can ramp up his story, but I'm still waiting after 40 issues and 3 creative teams.

Of all that time, I think the only character that comes closest sometimes is Karate Kid. (And not because he was able to snag Ayla wink ). And I've never been a huge fan of Val's.

Most of the rest seem to be the Legion of Super Attitudes...
Posted By: jimgallagher Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/31/08 01:14 PM
good point. Projectra seems to be used to the privileges of rank and position, but has not shown any political sophistication. given how high handed she as been with mere commoners on Earth, I shudder to think how she treated people on Orando.
Hey, at least she's not ruling over a bunch of raccoons who make baby talk!
Posted By: jimgallagher Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/31/08 01:15 PM
Originally posted by kcekada:
anyone care to guess what Giselle is up to?
The better question might be, :does anyone care about Giselle (period)?

I know I don't. The Legion has enough smart asses already. And her powers weren't very impressive. Besides having an alien physiology, I don't see where she would add anything to the Legion.
I couldn't agree more!
Posted By: insanelad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/31/08 05:57 PM
Originally posted by kcekada:
I don't get that at all. Projectra, Timber Wolf, Light Lass and Karate Kid all have been portrayed as nothing like the original version.
Projectra harping on about her royal situation - isn't that how she justified Nemesis Kid's death? She may be in a new *situation* but how is she essentially different to how she has been before (except, perhaps that she is being seen as *more* arrogant and it just being tolerated)

Timber Wolf as more feral and angry - wasn't that how he was portrayed originally, right when he was first introduced and was trying to fit into being human again (as opposed to thinking he was an android)? Furball anyone? Post Furball?

Light Lass - again, I don't see a whole lot that's different. What exactly is new? That she's a physical, sensual person? Don't we already know this? How's it different to the long-standing relationships with Brin and Vi? She just seems more open about it.

Karate Kid - calm, assured, spiritual martial artist. Isn't that how he's ALWAYS been portrayed? What's different this time? That he shared a bed with Ayla?

None of these things are BAD, it's just that I could see these things in back issues - I look for something new and exciting in my comics. Granted, it doesn't always happen, but it makes for a better read when it does. It just seems like these characters are VERY familiar, and don't seem like that different a take on what has gone before. Maybe they're not supposed to be different and I'm missing the point entirely! Maybe I just expected more from the change of writer. Who knows? It's not going to stop me from reading about them! lol
Posted By: Superboy-Supergirl Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 03/31/08 06:46 PM
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
Of course KK would be the one legionnaire who is into tantric sex!
hMMM maybe ayla, and this version of element lad also.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/01/08 12:30 AM
WHAT IF Brin called Imra for help at the end so when she arrives, he can physically assault her?
WHAT IF Projectra really did kill that tourist?
WHAT IF Garth suddenly got competent upon Imra's return because she's secretly manipulating him?
WHAT IF Francis gives us more nude/semi-nude Legionnaires?
Posted By: wamu2 Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/01/08 02:25 AM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
WHAT IF Brin called Imra for help at the end so when she arrives, he can physically assault her?
WHAT IF Garth suddenly got competent upon Imra's return because she's secretly manipulating him?
1) I don't think Temper Wolf was faking.

2) if the tourist died of shock from seeing a scary illusion I suppose Projectra could be charged with manslaughter. it would depend on intent or whether or not there are psi laws on the books.

3) good possibility, or maybe the jock has a brain.

4) yes. even better if the female members have to go undercover in an illegal pillow fighting ring!
Posted By: Gorilla Nebula Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/01/08 04:03 AM
i can only think that that there is something behind the scenes corrupting the legionnaires. Projectra stealing and lying, now possibly killing... T Wolf being aggressive and out of control... SG controlling minds... perhaps it has something to do with these evolving killing machines that are popping up everywhere. but if so, we need to know. i don't know if i have the patience any longer for a 16 part epic that unfolds slowly. i really need these bad guys to show a motive or purpose, or at least to know if they are alive... and the LSH is killing them or not. so far the question hasn't been given even a pause my any character.
a promising start by Shoot/Man but things aren't moving quite fast enough for me. i want the new costumes already. i want the plot to advance. i want a reason to buy and read this series beyond tradition and loyalty. come on shooter and manapul! we're rooting for you!! next issue i need to learn something interesting about the ever-evolving life forms or i need a different plot or adversary.
Posted By: Set Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/01/08 12:56 PM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
That's a definite concern for me.

I don't think so. I think she may well have made an illusion that looked like she'd killed the tourist to scare them, and Brin fell for it.

If she seemed to whip out a knife and plunge it into the tourist, I could see everyone involved falling for it, including the tourist (particularly if her illusions include a tactile component, which they definitely seem to, since the guard she sent a giant serpent after was screaming about his legs**).

On the other hand, she could have accidentally killed someone by scaring them so bad that they had a heart attack (or the alien equivalent)...

** That's actually an interesting tidbit. Projectra can cause actual pain, which means that her 'illusions' could incapacitate someone pretty easily...

Gosh, I hope not. I want competent Garth to be the real thing, and not-competent Garth to be the result of three days without sleep and trying to handle a thousand calls a day.

I do suspect that Imra and Garth had a little unseen 'chat' while the others were arguing, 'though. But I don't think it was Imra pulling the strings, since she was clearly beat and distracted at the time, and I don't think she would have been at her best mind-manipulating.

Yes please. More out of costume Legionnaires is always good (and not just nude / semi-nude, I want to see them dressed to do other things, like play sports with each other, or go out on the town). Manapul is an artist who should be easily able to get them into other outfits and still have them be recognizable, unlike some other artists who made them all look exactly the same...
Posted By: Tromium Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/01/08 04:27 PM
I rarely have carnal thoughts about comic book characters -- especially teenage ones -- but I do appreciate seeing the Legionnaires drawn so healthy and beautiful, like young gods Francis is doing a great job!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/02/08 07:51 AM
Garth manipulated by Imra? That's a devilish plot. I'd prefer to see him just adapting to the job or it becomes, as was posted above, Imra's Legion Lost story. That would have to end in her breakdown and/or her expulsion. The tension we have now over her use of powers is good, realistic but not extreme.

I'd agree that the semi-nude appearances are good, not only visually, but again adding to the realism of the characters. Also, I'd prefer to have the idea of real clothes that one puts on and takes off, rather than the concept of the flight ring instantly changing their clothing. That's probably stodgy 21st century thinking, but there you are.
Posted By: Lad Boy Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/02/08 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
i want a reason to buy and read this series beyond tradition and loyalty.
You are reading my mind ... maybe you're even manipulating my day-to-day behaviour, forcing me to make bad decisions, like buying a giant iced latte at lunchtime. Out! Out! I say.

Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I'd agree that the semi-nude appearances are good, not only visually, but again adding to the realism of the characters. Also, I'd prefer to have the idea of real clothes that one puts on and takes off, rather than the concept of the flight ring instantly changing their clothing. That's probably stodgy 21st century thinking, but there you are.
The closest thing I can think of to the Legion Clubhouse is an Olympic Village. I've known a couple of Olympic athletes and am convinced the the primary tests of physical endurance that go on for all but the top ranked high-profile competitors are tests of the bed springs in the dorms.

I agree that tangible clothing is better than flight ring dressing. Perhaps the transmatter cutback also could limit, indefinitely, the flight rings' ability to produce clothing.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/02/08 01:28 PM
Late to the party as always. I think Matthew E described this issue as the parts greater than the sum of the whole. I concur with that. From a plot perspective, very little moved forward in #40, but man, so much great character interraction.

This is, after all, our first read of Shooter/Manapul/Livesay's Brainiac 5. I feel like Brainy is back, shaking off the possession of Vril Dox's archived programming. Yes, he's still by far the smartest sentient in the room but that intelligence seems tempered, ever so slightly, by camaraderie, even if that bonhommie is mostly an opportunity for Querl to make his teammates hurl. Also, in the opening scene we see a Brainiac 5 who, while still arrogant, is perceptive enough to see the monster's behavior as deliberate rather than vainglorious.

The central scene where all our characters are together for the first time illustrates what's different (and good) about Shooter's Legion. For one thing, we see the Legionnaires enjoying each other's company. I feel like we haven't SEEN that since, oh, issue #3 or so. Next, we have a (now typical) argument between groups of Legionnaires over a very real dilemma -- should Saturn Girl have "tamped down" Timber Wolf? We saw this every other issue with Waid. Here, though, we see some of each Legionnaire's personality come out in their argument (where Waid's groups seemed arbitrarily divided). Also, the argument is legit--everyone has a legitimate point to make, and there is some sense of rudimentary listening. Most importantly, the argument is resolved through the exercise of actual leadership by Lightning Lad to reach a compromise and get everyone to move on. (Glad I wasn't the only one to notice the "coincidence" of Saturn Girl's return and Lightning Lad's improved leadership.) And where was Brainiac 5 in all this? Not egging on one or both sides to gain some momentary political advantage in the group. No, he's trying (and failing) to get the team to focus on the real problem -- the invading marauders. THAT'S the Brainiac 5 we all know and love. There's so much else that is just great in this issue from a character standpoint. For the first time in the 3 boot, all the characters are really coming alive.

Reading these issues gives me something of the feel of the early chapters of the Great Darkness saga. At that time, too, Levitz was taking characterization of the Legionnaires to a new level while a truly epic story began to unfold. It will be interesting to see if Shooter can build to something as fresh and exciting as the Great Darkness was all those years ago.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/06/08 03:07 PM
I was underwhelmed by this issue, but I'm still more than willing to give Shooter the benefit of the doubt on the assumption things will progress.

I liked the idea of Garth laying down the law on the Brin/Imra situation, and thought it was reasonably well executed, but it seemed liek an island that did not fit in the rest of the issue.

The Jeckie story appears to be the most interesting, and not just because it seems I was right about the pragmatic reasons for the UP's action aganist her.
Posted By: kcekada Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/06/08 08:28 PM
I rarely have carnal thoughts about comic book characters -- especially teenage ones -- but I do appreciate seeing the Legionnaires drawn so healthy and beautiful, like young gods Francis is doing a great job!
Yuck!

Has it really come to that?
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/06/08 08:36 PM
What's wrong with liking the character's to be appealing? Or is it the carnal thing that's got you yucking?

I suppose this would be a bad time to bring up my fetish with ubiquitous boobage.
Posted By: Semi Transparent Fellow Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/07/08 02:18 AM
The art just sucks big time in this book. I hate it so much I find it a struggle to get through the story. This is possibly the worst art I've seen in Legion since Coipel (and I realize it wasn't Coipel's fault, but the inking.)

I'm so disinterested in this series that I'm seriously considering giving up a 40 year habit.

On the other hand, I loved the final issue of the Action arc and can hardly wait until August.

I hope after the Legion of 3 Worlds they cancel this series and go with the Lightning Saga Legion, because if this is the only Legion I have, I'm just going to have to grow up and give up comics.
Posted By: Owl Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/07/08 03:16 AM
Garth and Ayla are twins. It makes sense that they each function better when with a partner. For Ayla, it seems to be with any warm body and Garth perhaps subconsciously kicked into gear when his beloved Imra showed up.

I hope Garth can return the supportive favour for his sister when the time comes for her to need it.
Posted By: Owl Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/07/08 03:29 AM
It also just occurred to me that TWolf called on Saturn Girl because her powers are needed...perhaps to mind wipe witnesses?
Posted By: Askanipsion Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/07/08 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
It also just occurred to me that TWolf called on Saturn Girl because her powers are needed...perhaps to mind wipe witnesses?
maybe to just calm the crowd down?? She probably created a scene knowing Projectra smile
Posted By: Awkward Pause Boy Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/08/08 04:27 AM
So, I still don't care a bit about the massive invading army #378 (or whatever number they are), so I'm very glad that most of the character interactions didn't focus exclusively on it. The fusillade of scenes was a nice way to show off individual legionnaires, and that's a big part of why I read.

What made no sense to me was Ayla's about face regarding Garth. How is she, his twin sibling, so sure he can't lead in one issue and so repentant the next. Did she just meet him after having been abducted at birth? I'd think she might know a thing or two about how he acts--something that would temper her reaction.

Not really interested in Invisible Kid & Giselle, and almost not interested in Projectra just because both of these plotlines seem to be reaffirming the Legion v. the UP theme that I am sick of, repulsed by, etc.

Nonetheless, the many character interactions helps save the day--a nice issue for me.
Posted By: stephbarton Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/08/08 01:42 PM
[QUOTE]
The Jeckie story appears to be the most interesting, and not just because it seems I was right about the pragmatic reasons for the UP's action aganist her. QUOTE]

This is one reason why I'm really excited about this run, yes there are still many many questions, but here we are seeing clear answers and not subtle hints that may or may not be followed up on. We wonder what is going on with Projectra's status and it was pointed out what economic/political reactions there would be, and we are seeing it AND it is getting explained.

We aren't left wondering if this is happening as a plot device or is there an actual logical reason, and that gives me more faith that my questions will be answered (and fairly quickly at that).

As for Ayla switching her tune on Garth, come on, weren't we all saying we didn't really want to see another "Garth is a bad leader" story? So we all were with Ayla there, and now we're all saying "Kudos to Garth, he does have what it takes" so why are we surprised that Ayla comes to the same conclusion.

Look, I don't know how my brother and sister would handle leadership roles, I have a vauge idea based on their personality, but I've never seen them be a leader and for all I know they could sink or they could swim. I'm sure Ayla is the same way, even when Garth was deputy leader (as alluded to by Waid) he wasn't fully in charge so I don't think Ayla has ever seen her brother in that situation, she probably thought he could handle it and then saw that he was over his head.

However, his handling of the group (not letting the argument get out of hand) and being fair to both Imra and Brin (you may think SG got off easily but that wasn't Garth's call, that was Brin's) plus telling Brin he needed to control himself, good leader stuff. He is obviously going to be a different type of leader than Cos and I think Ayla realizes this, but earlier it looked like Garth was completly lost and was just going to let the waves push him around. Now she sees he can stand up and lead when they need it and that probably meshes better with what she knows about her brother than the inept leadership he was showing earlier.

So to me Ayla's turnaround makes perfect sense, she knows her brother can be smart and commanding, he just wasn't showing it earlier and she was getting concerned, but now she knows he can make the tough calls and make the others listen, so her faith in him is renewed (besides, you never really want to stab your sibling in the back, unless of course your Mekt).

Again, I really enjoyed the character's interaction this issue, as they make the characters seem more real and more like individuals.
Posted By: Set Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/08/08 02:53 PM
Originally posted by stephbarton:
This is one reason why I'm really excited about this run, yes there are still many many questions, but here we are seeing clear answers and not subtle hints that may or may not be followed up on. We wonder what is going on with Projectra's status and it was pointed out what economic/political reactions there would be, and we are seeing it AND it is getting explained.

We aren't left wondering if this is happening as a plot device or is there an actual logical reason, and that gives me more faith that my questions will be answered (and fairly quickly at that).
I agree with all of your post, but especially this.

After 30+ issues of meandering subplots that got introduced and then abandoned as fast as they appeared, it's such a wonderful thing to have a writer who seems to be paying attention to his own work.

It was hard to maintain interest in the last run when the *writer* couldn't even be bothered to express an interest in what he was doing...
Posted By: Arachne Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/08/08 11:22 PM
I loved this issue. smile I wasn't so crazy about #39, but this one was great. A lot of personality came through, even with so many characters this issue. Excellent. laugh

I loved this issue, too. Kudos to FJM for all the morsels of silent characterization -- like Trip sitting on Jan's lap, Jo yanking Cham's antenna, Saturn Girl turning her head away from Garth in shame, and Brin bowing and kissing Jeckie's hand.

Priceless moment -- Brainy flailing his arms in the air and screaming "The Alien Destroyers?!" while everyone else is busy arguing about Saturn Girl's guilt. (The reaction of each Legionnaire towards Saturn Girl and Timber Wolf was spot on true to character, though I'm not quite sure why Atom Girl would feel so protective of Brin. A secret crush perhaps?)
She did say he was hot in issue #34. Vi and Brin are my favourite characters in any reality, so I wouldn't complain about them interacting more, although I don't like love triangles. An ex-princess vs. an ex-slave, though, that might be interesting.

I noticed the hand kissing, too. I wonder if that came about because of Jeckie, or if it's something from his past. We don't know what Brin's life was like pre-powers.
Posted By: Awkward Pause Boy Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/09/08 02:12 AM
As for Ayla switching her tune on Garth, come on, weren't we all saying we didn't really want to see another "Garth is a bad leader" story? So we all were with Ayla there, and now we're all saying "Kudos to Garth, he does have what it takes" so why are we surprised that Ayla comes to the same conclusion.
I don't see how a fan desire to not see a particular plot can provide a conclusion for a character in the plot.

Look, I don't know how my brother and sister would handle leadership roles, I have a vauge idea based on their personality, ...

earlier it looked like Garth was completly lost and was just going to let the waves push him around. Now she sees he can stand up and lead when they need it and that probably meshes better with what she knows about her brother

I, too, have siblings, and got a first-hand look at their leadership abilities (maybe because they were older). But, even for non-relatives, if I've known them for more than 15 years, I will have enough information so that I won't vascillate from "terrible" to "fabulous" opinions of their performance in the space of a day. Thus, to me, Ayla's response seemed contrived.
Posted By: Matter Lad Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/09/08 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Arachne:

[/qb]
She did say he was hot in issue #34. Vi and Brin are my favourite characters in any reality, so I wouldn't complain about them interacting more, although I don't like love triangles. An ex-princess vs. an ex-slave, though, that might be interesting.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Atom Girl is also one of my favorites. I'm pretty sure the tough girl could take the pampered princess (Especially with the stuff she's going through), but hey, when did this become the discussion of a cat-fight? Sorry.
Posted By: Arachne Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/09/08 04:31 PM
LOL I wasn't talking about a physical fight. I was thinking more along the line of conflicting philosophies.
Posted By: stephbarton Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS! - 04/10/08 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
[b] ...
I don't see how a fan desire to not see a particular plot can provide a conclusion for a character in the plot. [/b]
I was just saying that my reaction to Garth was similar to Ayla's. We are seeing the same things and coming to the same conclusions. It has nothing to do with MY desire to see or not to see a certain storyline, it just seems that Ayla's conclusions/thoughts mirrored a lot of people's conclusions/thoughts on this board.

Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
[b] Look, I don't know how my brother and sister would handle leadership roles, I have a vauge idea based on their personality, ...

earlier it looked like Garth was completly lost and was just going to let the waves push him around. Now she sees he can stand up and lead when they need it and that probably meshes better with what she knows about her brother

I, too, have siblings, and got a first-hand look at their leadership abilities (maybe because they were older). But, even for non-relatives, if I've known them for more than 15 years, I will have enough information so that I won't vascillate from "terrible" to "fabulous" opinions of their performance in the space of a day. Thus, to me, Ayla's response seemed contrived. [/b]
See, I've never actually been in that situation. My siblings are older also, but I have never NEEDED them to be the leader in any situation I can recall. Thus I have never truly seen what thy are capable of. I have seen them at their lowest, but even having known them my entire life (and being very close to them) they still do things that surprise me and act in ways that still manage to impress.

To me her actions make perfect sense, she isn't actively trying to fight Garth, or undermine his leadership or anything. She is just expressing her doubts and concerns to Tinya, a friend. I don't see her actions as being like "For the good of the Legion Garth must go." I honestly read it more of "maybe I should talk to Garth, maybe I should do the *hard* thing and tell him he is messing up."

Then she sees what she suspected was there all along, that he can make the tough decisions and make people listen.

I think one thing to keep in mind is that it appears Cos was the leader for the Legion since the begining, so you go from Cos' leadership style, to Brainy's semi-coup, to Supergirl (who doesn't really count because as leader she didn't really do anything) to Garth who isn't a master delegator, even if he didn't muff up the team assignments I still think there would be a lack of confidence because it is a large difference in leadership styles.

Oh well, to me it make perfect sense, to you it doesn't, I don't really think there is a way to convince one way or the other as we both project our own reading/understanding/experiences on to the situation.
© Legion World