Legion World
Posted By: kidflash2fan Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 03:07 PM
i'm going to be very honest right now, i had never picked up a legion comic until it crossed over with teen titans (witch i was only reading because i love impulse/kid flash2)

threeboot come along i loved it and to me it still derived where teen titans at one point just stopped being a book i was enjoying... so once i learned that the legion was something that has been around for half a century, i did what any one would do i started to look for back issues...

i take what i can get for the first legion.(showcase and beat up old comics for 25 cents) and i love every second of them...

but i'm having real and i mean real trouble with the reboot when i picked up random issues and they really never made me go, "oh man i need to find this next issues." i stumbled accross a hole bunch in order and well..ive come close to hating them and very glad i didnt get into the legion untill a few years ago

so here is my Question, should i just give up on the reboot? or can any one here change my mind about by suggesting some good story lines if there is any ?
Posted By: Matthew E Re: Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 06:54 PM
Try the DnA (Abnett and Lanning) era of the reboot. Legion Lost, Legion Worlds, The Legion. I think it's one of the best eras the Legion has ever had, much better than what preceded it.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 06:54 PM
The conventional wisdom is that the first year or so of the reboot is pretty good, but that it drops in quality significantly after about a year and half, until DnA take over as the creative team. Then most agree that DnA eventually drop off in quality as well, though exactly when that occurs is open for debate.

The Beginning of Tomorrow tpb and the Legion Lost maxi-series are pretty good samples of what would generally be considered to be "good" reboot storlyines.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 07:20 PM
I concur with EDE.

Early Reboot tended to be good up until Legion #80 (somehere around Legionniares #37 or 38, as I recall).

Legion Lost, Legion Worlds and The Legion 1-14 were almost indisputedly excelent; there are mixed opinions on both the lead-up to Lost (Legionnaires #78-81 and LSH #122-125) and The Legion 15-34.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 07:49 PM
I have to offer a dissenting opinion on Abnett & Lannings' run. I did not like Legion Lost at all. The Legion had some good build up, but then had rushed disappointing endings.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 07:50 PM
See... I'd actually put the decline of DnA a little sooner than Kent. I despised the whole Ra's al-Ghul storyline. So it's more like The Legion #5 or so that it starts to drop for me.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
I have to offer a dissenting opinion on Abnett & Lannings' run. I did not like Legion Lost at all. The Legion had some good build up, but then had rushed disappointing endings.
To be completely honest, I think Legion Lost is often overrated. It's okay, but everytime I read it it just seems kind of... sparse. Legion Worlds was really my favorite thing by DnA, but most people seemed to really like Legion Lost, so I thought it would be the best recommendation.
Posted By: Set Re: Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
See... I'd actually put the decline of DnA a little sooner than Kent. I despised the whole Ra's al-Ghul storyline. So it's more like The Legion #5 or so that it starts to drop for me.
The Ras al-Ghul thing felt too much like they were trying to recapture the success of the Great Darkness saga. Some 20th century villain dredged up from the past, but, unlike Darkseid, one that isn't a credible threat to the Legion at all.

The man learned how to whistle in such a tune that it makes Durlans fall over? Exponential lamitude. Is there also a particular farting sound I can make by pumping my underarm that incapacitates Daxamites? 'Cause that would be no less lame.

And then they had a big disaster on Earth and killed a few billion people. 'Cause that hasn't been done to death in the last years... Yeesh.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 02/13/08 11:18 PM
yeah i have some of the ra's al ghul story line...sigh... thanks so much for the tips every one
Posted By: Jerry Re: Question about the reboot - 02/14/08 12:45 AM
I like Legion Lost, and recommend reading the four issue "Legion of the Damned" stroyline that preceeded it before picking up the entire 12 issues of Lost. If you like the feel and direction of of "Damned" you will want to see what happens next. If you don't like the feel of it, you will probably be disappointed in Lost. There are two issues between Damed and Lost that you will want to get if you decide you like what you are reading.

Either way, Legion Worlds is a good read with a variety of artists. Each issue pretty much stands on its own. You can pick up a single issue and decide what you think before investing in the whole series.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Question about the reboot - 02/14/08 11:04 AM
I'll probably be damned for saying this, but I liked Dark Circle Rising. I detested the dark tones of the Blight, Legion Lost and the beginnings of The Legion.

I do agree with everyone else regarding that the beginnings of the Reboot was probably one of the best - the annoying Cosmic Boy storyline, the beginnings of the Espionage Squad (now that was a fun issue), the White Triangle storyline (that was sad), etc. up to Emerald Vi. Then it went downhill and not even the Mordru storyline nor the computo/Team 30 storyline could save it.

One thing though - if you are a Flash fan, have a read through the Impulse issues where XS was when she was stuck in the 20th Century... and the huge Mark Waid Savitar arc around Flash #100 is another arc with XS (although she plays a small part and gives her Legion flight ring to Jesse Quick) that I enjoyed.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Question about the reboot - 02/14/08 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I agree about Lost.

Probably the best Reboot issues are the first year. I'd reccomend those, (issues per what's listed above).

DnA's Legion stories are good too IMO, but if you didn't like their Ra's Al Ghul story, I'm not sure if you'd like much of the rest...
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Question about the reboot - 02/17/08 04:08 AM
Gotta agree with all that. I'd say Legionnaires Annual 2 is a good single issue to begin with: if it makes you wanna go read everything that came before, good. That's one of the best single issues ever, in my opinion.

If it doesn't, then I doubt that you'll want to bother with any of the issues that came before Legion of the Damned.
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Question about the reboot - 02/17/08 03:52 PM
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:

so here is my Question, should i just give up on the reboot?
Yes.

smile

At least that's my personal opinion, though I have to confess that after years of what felt to me embarassing kiddie stories, Abnett und Lanning brought back some fun to the Legion. So you might have fun reading their run. As for the time before DnA, I can only remember one single storyline ("White Triangle") that was memorable enough that I can actually ... ehm... remember it. I can totally second your feeling that you were underwhelmed with the issues you have read because if you just ramdomly pick some, there's a big probability that you pick some cheesy, uninteresting stories with cheesy, uninteresting characters. Most were. frown
Posted By: Zero Kahn Re: Question about the reboot - 02/17/08 05:43 PM
I agree with the others that the reboot started out pretty good, but when it fell part it did it totaly. I would say the the tipping point when was they split the team in half and sending one half into the modern day DCU. I think the first 2 years of the reboot are pretty good actully. You had the White Trianlge Saga and the Fatal Five/President Chu story line.

Here is what I would recomend:
Legion of Super Heroes: 0, 62-84 Annuals 6 and 7
Legionnaries: 0, 19-42 Annuals 2 and 3
Impulse 9
Posted By: Tromium Re: Question about the reboot - 02/17/08 06:13 PM
I definitely would *not* write them off -- especially now that there's evidence of a comeback. I predict before 2008 is over people will be scrambling to find the DnA run (and maybe earlier issues) for backstory.
Posted By: legionboy Re: Question about the reboot - 02/18/08 06:20 AM
Agreed Tromium

I just re-read The Legion Teen Titans crossover special and there is no reason not to expect the return of the reboot Legion sooner than later.
Posted By: Kid Marvel Re: Question about the reboot - 02/18/08 08:57 AM
It shall be expected sooner because I decree it!
...also am I the only one who actually HATED Jeff Moys art?
Just saying
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Question about the reboot - 02/18/08 08:29 PM
Actually, I did not HATE Moys art, but I did not care for it neither. Not my kind of style. Too Manga / cartoony. Same goes for Moder by the way.

I don't remember anything good about the first two years - first there was Tangleweb (ugh), then I seem to have erased everything out of my head. I remember White Triangle, I remember thinking "Oh now it might be up to some good finally", but I also remember the feeling that I was wrong...

I guess it's time to reread the run without all the bad feelings and give some new (or the old one again) evaluation for the Reboot...
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Question about the reboot - 02/18/08 08:58 PM
The Progenitor is behind the latest crisis.

Bra Hwa Hwa
regarding Moy's artwork: look at his early stuff (L* 0 and 19) as compared to when he finished up on the series. sure it's not my favorite, but he grew as an artist by leaps and bounds. it may be too "manga-esq" or cartoony but at the same time, that style was very popular and fresh in the 90s.

i think moy's style and the direction the Reboot went fit together very well (Archie Legion! HOORAY), and hey, a lot of people around here dislike both and that's fine, but the art and thematic elements of the reboot went well together, you can't deny it.

personally, i think the White Triangle stories (the Legionnaires Year One Annual especially), Fatal Five, the LotDamned, Lost, Worlds and the first series of The Legion are stories that i loved to read. I was not a fan of the Team 20 idea; I could have cared less about Final Night and I read the Legion b/c i don't have to know about what's going on in Suicide Squad or Justice League Texas Quarterly to understand what these kids are doing.

mainly, look for stories that star legionnaires that don't appear outside of the Reboot: Kinetix (i hated her at first, then absolutely loved her as she grew and got over her obsession with the Eye, then they screwed her up with evolving, but at least she evolved!), Gates (nuff said), Kid Quantum 2, and yes, Monstress. You can't find these guys anywhere else, so they're special to this Era.
Posted By: armsfalloffboy Re: Question about the reboot - 02/20/08 06:11 PM
I've been reading the Major Spoiler site's Hero History--just read Gates last night. I liked Gates a lot, but when the Hero History started creating the reboot context for the character, I started to get a bit ill. I have to say that while I don't want them murdered by Shadow Demons or anything, I would be really upset with a reboot return. I just don't feel they've got a place in the great scheme of things now. We've got a relatively clean continuity current Legion for new fans, we seem to be moving towards a "new" old Legion with characterizations and a history that many of us Levitz/Giffen fans will at least be moderately satisfied with--why bring back perhaps the weakest Legion era? Don't hate me, but who is clamoring for a return of Spark, Koko, Kinetix, Monstress, evil Element Lad, superjerks Lightning Lad and Sun Boy, and Princess Snake? Put it to bed, let those who are interested in it find the copies in the 50 cent bin, and move on.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Question about the reboot - 02/20/08 08:00 PM
I liked the first few years of the reboot. I even enjoyed most of the Team 20 stuff, though it went on too long. I didn't enjoy the Team 30 stuff as much, but it had it's moments. Things completely went off the rails with the "Anomaly" mess that started after LSH #100 thought. After that it never recovered and in my mind got worse with DnA.

I seriously considered dropping the DnA run, but hung on in the hopes it would get better (it didn't). There was too much of the same in DnA (how many times was Earth trashed?), and they tended to only write their favourites. If you're going to write Legion, you need to do the whole team service. Did Gates even have a speaking role after issue #5 of the Legion?
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Question about the reboot - 02/20/08 08:16 PM
Yeah, the Reboot was kind of a sign of the time in the 90s. Like WWWWTR-Lad correctly stated, Manga was hip back then, Teen books for Kids had a rennaissance (Superboy, Impulse, you name them) after so much "Dark and Gritty", so that was the Legion we got - you liked it or (like me) hated it.

The Reboot kiddie approach wore out its welcome (like all the 90 DC revolutions like Kyle Rayner, Impulse, Azrael, Connor Hawke) and the new millenium demanded a new approach -> the Reboot changed into the DnA run which made the book hot for some time, but when Ras Al Ghul, Superboy and even Darkseid turned up in the book out of desperation instead of story reasons, the time was up and the Threeboot came along...

... which did not tell agood story, but was much more up to par for the new millenium than the dated Reboot was.

While nostalgia makes many oldtime fans hot for the Action Legion, I don't know if there are that many true Reboot fans out there. Enough to boost sales should the Archie Legion reappear? I doubt it.

My guess is that they actually will appear in Final Crisis / DC Universe, but only to make things more "hot and spicy" for the event. Should there be a actual merging of realities in the end, I guess most "hybrid" Legionnaires will look likle a mixture between classic and Threeboot Legion. Maybe they will keep Gates - but it's not very likely... you must not forget that they just "canceled" the Reboot Legion some years ago, they must have had SOME reason (though i never heard one emntioned here...)
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Question about the reboot - 02/20/08 08:34 PM
Originally posted by rouge:
I liked the first few years of the reboot. I even enjoyed most of the Team 20 stuff, though it went on too long. I didn't enjoy the Team 30 stuff as much, but it had it's moments. Things completely went off the rails with the "Anomaly" mess that started after LSH #100 thought. After that it never recovered and in my mind got worse with DnA.

I seriously considered dropping the DnA run, but hung on in the hopes it would get better (it didn't). There was too much of the same in DnA (how many times was Earth trashed?), and they tended to only write their favourites. If you're going to write Legion, you need to do the whole team service. Did Gates even have a speaking role after issue #5 of the Legion?
This echoes my thooughts.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 02/20/08 11:30 PM
like i said i'm still relatively new to the legion,
i since this thread has gone up i did look into some of the older of the reboot and while i haven't been in complete love with them i haven't disliked it as much as i have THE LEGION run every issue i read just seams a mess a real, and i mean a real mess there seams to be non-stop attacking going on the there is very few breaks from the action, books like that cant really hold my attention because well its hard to get into them cause you dont get to know the ppl in them it just screams we dont need plots as long as there is action every one loves action
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 02/21/08 12:45 AM
The DnA issues do certainly have that big screen blockbuster action movie kind of feel to them. Both coherence of plots and depth of characterization tended to get sacrificed in favor of the dramatic cliffhanger.

I've said it before, but I actually think the first year of the reboot has some of the best plotting/pacing that the Legion has ever had. It was actually pretty amazing that they were producing two issues per month, and it hardly ever felt like we were getting filler. The fact that it take about eight months in most comics to get the amount of story and characterization that we would get in a single month back then is one of the biggest complaints I have about current comics.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Question about the reboot - 02/21/08 03:29 AM
Well I still love the reboot (up to a point) and all the trashing it's getting in this thread makes little Blacula cry. frown

As bad as the reboot got at times (Team 20, PMS era, post-Worlds DnA) I still think it stands up much more strongly than any part of the Waid/Kitson threeboot.

I'm kinda resigned to the fact that we'll probably never see this Legion again though (barring some type of 'Legion of Three Worlds' deal) but what it really kills me to accept is that we might never see the great 'original' characters from it again - XS, Gates, Kinetix, Dragonmage, Kid Quantums I & II... those characters are far too good to just let waste away in limbo forever. Yet, I can't see them fitting in with either of the current versions of the Legion either.

Legion history is a tragedy when you think about it.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Question about the reboot - 02/21/08 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Blacula:
Legion history is a tragedy when you think about it.
*choke*

I don't want to think about it--because its true in that regard frown
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Question about the reboot - 02/22/08 08:42 AM
Yep, and the sad thing is that it's a tragedy for EVERY generation of Legion fans, be it the "classics" (tragedy: Superboy Pocket universe), the "TMKs" (tragedy: everything wiped out, which also refers to those who could live with the Pocket universe...), the "Rebootys" (tragedy: Koko... okay and everything being wiped out!) and the "Threebootys" (tragedy: living in fear of everything being wiped out soon...). The cartoon fans I don't know about, cause it has never been shown in Germany, which is... another tragedy!!!

No matter which version you like, you will always pay for your entertainment with "pain"...
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Question about the reboot - 02/22/08 07:03 PM
Reboot has its place in Legion history, but as the numbers shown in the Sales thread show, it was never a blockbuster commodity (only the outset had noteworthy figures).

I'd be surprised if the Crisis of Three Legions does not involve the Reboot, but I doubt it would be back in any major way. I myself would not object ot the occassional Reboot-era mini or special, but I'm not holding my breath.

In hidsight, I think the TT/LSH Special cliffhanger ending was a *finger-crossed-just-in-case* backup plan in case Threeboot fell flat on its face. v.5 sales were/are the best in a decade; that pretty much sealed Reboot's fate, and we got the Earth-247 resolution: questionable existence, at best on some distant earth (47, perhaps).
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 02/22/08 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Reboot has its place in Legion history, but as the numbers shown in the Sales thread show, it was never a blockbuster commodity (only the outset had noteworthy figures).
i bought foundations it was a bit confusing especially since at some points there where 2 story going on...i dont think i liked it
Posted By: Zero Kahn Re: Question about the reboot - 02/23/08 11:59 PM
Don't feel bad Foundations was a pretty bad story. That was when DnA were definelty in their downward spiral on the book. I don't know if it was their idea to bring in Superboy and rehash the Great Darkness Saga or if it was the powers the be, but either way it was a very bad idea.

The Beginings of Tommorow trade is a much better choice of the two reboot trades they put out.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 02/24/08 01:16 AM
yeah i wasn't the biggest fan of the beginnings of tomorrow, it was miles better then foundations but i dont think im a fan
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Question about the reboot - 02/26/08 07:04 AM
I have to agree, Beginning of Tomorrow was a set of stories in the evolution of a new Legion, and not one large contained story. That's why there were many introduced plotlines; they were meant to be wrapped up later on.

The White Triangle story or the Fatal Five/Chu sting would have been better trades in the sense that they had more contained plots, big climaxes and more of a sense of closure because of the greater focus on a single story.

But anyway...

Foundations WAS pretty bad. You had a lot of Legionnaires running around, but they didn't really matter in the long run.

Oh, and what was UP with the Legion storming Apokolips like that without having ANY sort of plan? That so made them look like amateurs. They were just fighting parademons and Darkseid "servants" in an endless and ultimately pointless battle. Boo to that!
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 02/28/08 07:35 PM
so got a hold of the the legion lost and i loved it
but most i think that was due to what i said earlier it focused on the individuals rather then the team action moments, it change right as it got into legion 1

i loved the ending i felt so bad for element lad. and i love how live wire quit so he wouldnt be braking the code
Posted By: josh_jesterworld Re: Question about the reboot - 03/02/08 04:44 AM
Legion of the Damned and Legion Lost were fantastic pieces of reading...DnA were perfect for shaking up the youthful (reboot) Legion and finding some substance there. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to know what to do with the large team once they reunited. Of course, this is the premise of the Legion - a massive team of characters. DnA worked best in dealing with smaller clusters of members. The stride of Legion Lost could have possibly been maintained if they had divided the team up again, under new circumstances, after their homecoming.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 03/02/08 05:02 AM
If you liked Legion Lost, I think you'll love Legion Worlds. It's even more character-based/world-building stuff.
Posted By: josh_jesterworld Re: Question about the reboot - 03/02/08 05:13 AM
I need to read Legion Worlds again....can't believe I forgot to mention it. It is up there with the other quality DnA stories, imo.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 05:06 PM
can some one tell what the difference between the legion of super hero and the legionaries comic is?
Posted By: Epic Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 10:03 PM
I just got into the whole Legion thing recently, and though I know all the characters pretty well and have a general idea of the plots, I've never actually read any of the comics. Well, actually I did, and it was the matter of this discussion, Reboot era.

It was this one book that had a collection of, and I quote, "their first triumphs and tragedies". It contained the issues from the forming of the Legion, all the way up to the end of the Planet Hell incident.

Eh, I liked it well enough. Hate half the names though. I think Spark was the only acceptable rename, and I still like Light(ning) Lass better. Art was decent, though it got kind of shoddy in some places. Liked the characterization and plots, and was smiling like crazy when XS showed up. I love that girl to bits, she's too cute. (Definitely a character who needs to return.)

My favorite part? When Phantom Girl (ugh Apparition ugh) totally walked in on that guy naked (!) in his room by himself (!!) with a picture of a girl looking mighty attractive (!!!). I think we all see where that's headed, at least for my line of thoughts.

And now that I reflect, I also read the Impulse issue(s?) when the Legion shows up. I've read a lot of Impulse issues. Bart's too awesome for words.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 10:21 PM
can some one tell what the difference between the legion of super hero and the legionaries comic is?
IIRC (and people here will correct me if I am wrong) Legionnaires was a second Legion comic. It primarily featured a good chunk of legionnaires who got stranded in the 20th century.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 10:30 PM
The whole story on LSH/Legionnaires:

During the 5YL storyline, a group of Legionnaires were discovered who were basically duplicates/clones of the team from the 60s. Eventually, this clone team was spun off into its own series, which was called Legionnaires.

When the Legion was rebooted in 1994, both Legion titles began to feature the adventures of the newly rebooted team. So, effectively, throughout the second half of the nineties we had a bi-weekly Legion title. Stories were generally continuous between the two titles, with a few exceptions, such as the period in which half the team was stranded in the twentieth century, and LSH focused on that team and L* focused on the 30th century team.
Posted By: Epic Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 10:58 PM
Now I've got a question that does pertain to the topic at hand (I hope.)

Where is a good place to start in your Legion reading? I honestly have no idea. Starting from the very very beginning sounds kind of hard, seeing as how they're all ancient issues nowadays. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 11:09 PM
Hey Epic (and welcome to Legion World)

Everyone has their own favorite eras. The Adventure era can seem a little silly to a modern reader. The Showcase Archives (black & white reprints) does have a Legion volume which reprints the early stories.

I started reading the Legion with Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes #212, so I'd say that reading up from issue 200 would be good. Others like the 5 Years Later (5YL) era. After that comes the reboot which lasts through Legion Lost and the run by Abnett & Lanning. Then you have the threeboot which runs into the current issues.

There are also some trade paperbacks out there, including the Great Darkness saga (which is considered one of the best if not the best Legion story preboot)
Posted By: Epic Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 11:18 PM
Thanks, that really helps!

I'll admit I'm used to manga, so the whole comic thing is a bit confusing. Every time I pull out a printout from some random page I found whilst clicking around, I have to tell my friends, "left to right, left to right, stop reading it backwards."
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Epic:
Thanks, that really helps!

I'll admit I'm used to manga, so the whole comic thing is a bit confusing. Every time I pull out a printout from some random page I found whilst clicking around, I have to tell my friends, "left to right, left to right, stop reading it backwards."
lol

So who is your favorite Legionnaire?
Posted By: stephbarton Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 11:42 PM
Hey Epic,

Welcome to Legion fandom. It is hard to figure out where to start, if you're lucky (like I was) you can find a comic book store with a nice back issue bin. If you're really lucky you can find one with a quarter box (where all comics are a quarter) or 50 cents or something. What I did when I got into the Legion (and man did I get it bad) I went to one of the stores and just picked up every Legion issue that I could get for cheap.

From there I kinda figured out what I liked and I didn't. For instance, I don't like the 5 Year Gap Legion at all, but the few issues I do have only cost me a quarter so I don't feel bad about owning them.

As for my recommendations, the time Paul Levitz was on the Legion is pretty good. Don't remember issue numbers (I think it was Legion of Superheroes 178 upwards. Then the title changed to Tales of the Legion of Superheroes, those I could always find for pretty cheap). Then you get the Baxter series, which is Legion of Superheroes but on nicer paper (you can usually tell by looking at these). I liked it up till about issue 40. The Levitz Legion was published in the 80's, so the books look a bit older than any other comics bearing the Legion of Superheroes name.

Hope that helps!
Posted By: Epic Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 11:45 PM
That's a hard question. I'm the type of person who finds it hard to not like every character.

Eh, B5 never fails to send me into fits of laughter, whether from being crazy or . . . <strike>being crazy</strike> just being himself.

XS, despite only being a boot member, is definitely one of my all-time faves, she's such a cutie.

Dream Girl is pretty and equipped with some of the creepiest powers ever.

Wildfire, who I'd say is great by being a hot-head, but I fear it'd come across as a bad pun.

Lightning Lad, who I guess I can relate to.

And Invisible Kid is just one of those characters I'd be stupid not to love.

Six people! I narrowed it down to six people! Woot! Though I feel guilty now, since there's so many more I feel like should be there. Kind of a, I don't have one best friend, I have many, thing.
Posted By: Epic Re: Question about the reboot - 03/04/08 11:48 PM
And thanks stephbarton. (I feel guilty about the double post, but I don't wanna look like I ignore you!) I know one store that sells comics,as it's where I buy my manga, I should check it out. They're pretty cheap, I think.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 03/05/08 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Epic:
Now I've got a question that does pertain to the topic at hand (I hope.)

Where is a good place to start in your Legion reading? I honestly have no idea. Starting from the very very beginning sounds kind of hard, seeing as how they're all ancient issues nowadays. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If your interested in checking out the current series, #37 is a really nice place to start, as it's the beginning of a new creative team. Starting with trades of the current series is also perfectly reasonable, as it is a new continuity, and doesn't presuppose anything that came before.

It's really a matter of kind of experimenting and seeing what you like. As Quis said, different eras tend to appeal to different people. I think the 5YL Era (89-94) is the best the series ever got from a standpoint of pure artisticness(despite some huge problems with it), but many hard core Legion fans despise it. I'm also a huge fan of the Adventure Era stuff from the 60s. I always like to compare it to the original Star Trek series. The stories are often cheesy, inconsistent, and kind of primitive/out-dated by today's standards, but they definitely have their own kind of charm and innovation that makes them more interesting than later stuff which is largely derivative of them.

There's a TPB coming out at the end of May called "1050 Year of the Future", or something like that, which contains stories from various eras, so it should serve as a pretty good sample of different takes on the Legion over the years.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 03/09/08 02:58 AM
off all the reboot i've found, none of them have crazy brainy in them did he lose his mind ever inthe reboot? if so what issues
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 03/09/08 03:10 AM
Hmm... I can't think of any extended length crazy Brainy. There was a bit of crazy Brainy in Gail Simone's "For No Better Reason" arc, right before the reboot was no more, but I think it was only a few panels. And we see crazy Brainiac 4 during Dark Circle Rising. That's all I can think of.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 03/09/08 03:14 AM
yeah i have the dark cricle rising B4 was pretty messed up, but wasn't that due to the Virl Dox 2 deal with the demon?
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 03/09/08 03:18 AM
It's never really made clear whether that's the payoff for VD2's deal with Neron or not.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 03/09/08 03:28 AM
hmmm. i see. it would be nice for clarifaction
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 04/01/08 02:22 AM
does any one know if the for no better reason story line was any good?
Posted By: Matthew E Re: Question about the reboot - 04/02/08 12:34 AM
I like it very much. It has more heroic moments per issue than any other comic book I can think of. My only problem with it is that I'm a little hazy on the villains' motivation.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 04/02/08 12:38 AM
I like it quite a bit on its own merits as a story. The biggest problem with it is that it seems so completely disconnected from everything else, both from what came before it and what came afterwards (namely, the threeboot).
Posted By: matlock Re: Question about the reboot - 04/02/08 02:27 AM
Yes, it was a bit disconnected, but it felt like a more traditional Legion story after what seemed like the endless invasions of Earth by every hostile race in the galaxy.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Question about the reboot - 04/02/08 02:45 AM
In two galaxies, as a matter of fact!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Question about the reboot - 04/02/08 03:00 PM
does any one know if the for no better reason story line was any good?
not really. It was okay (not great) to read once, but it holds up rather poorly on re-reads.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 02/15/09 11:14 PM
kay so i bought a bunch of legion issues this weekend (100 and up) and a I'm bit lost they seam to jump, so do need to get the title legionnaires as well? is there some way to know what one would be next? lets say if i bought issue 101 what number legionnaires would i have to get is that what the legion symbol's with the numbers are there for
Posted By: Silver Age Lad Re: Question about the reboot - 02/15/09 11:39 PM
The complete reboot reading order including cameos is below. Hope this helps:

LSH(v4) 0
Legionnaires 0
LSH(v4) 62
Legionnaires 19
LSH(v4) 63
Legionnaires 20
LSH(v4) 64
Legionnaires 21
Legionnaires 22
LSH(v4) 65
Legionnaires 23
LSH(v4) 66
LSH(v4) 67
Legionnaires 24
LSH(v4) 68
Legionnaires 25
LSH(v4) 69
New Titans Annual 11
LSH(v4) Annual 6
Showcase 95 6
Legionnaires 26
LSH(v4) 70
Superboy 17
Legionnaires 27
LSH(v4) 71
Legionnaires 28
Legionnaires Annual 2
Superboy 18
Superboy 19
LSH(v4) 72
Gut Gardner Warrior 29
Legionnaires 29
LSH(v4) 73
Legionnaires 30
Superboy 21
LSH(v4) 74
Legionnaires 31
Superboy 22
LSH(v4) 75
Legionnaires 32
Impulse 9
Flash 108
LSH(v4) 76
Flash 109
Impulse 10
Legionnaires 33
Flash 110
Impulse 11
LSH(v4) 77
Legionnaires 34
Flash 111
Flash 112
Impulse 12
Flash 114
Legionnaires Annual 3
LSH(v4) 78
Legionnaires 35
LSH(v4) 79
Legionnaires 36
LSH(v4) 80
Sovereign Seven Annual 2
Legionnaires 37
LSH(v4) 81
LSH(v4) Annual 7
Showcase 96 8
Legionnaires 38
LSH(v4) 82
Legionnaires 39
LSH(v4) 83
Legionnaires 40
LSH(v4) 84
Supergirl annual 1
Legionnaires 41
LSH(v4) 85
Power of Shazam Annual 1
Impulse 19
Showcase 96 10
Final Night Sneak Preview 1
Final Night 1
Legionnaires 42
Aquaman 26
Adventures of Superman 540
Final Night 2
Final Night 3
Flash 119
LSH(v4) 86
Parallax Emerald Night 1
Takion 6
Final Night 4
Green Lantern 81
The Life Story of the Flash
Legionnaires 43
Superman (v2) 119
Showcase 96 11
LSH(v4) 87
Showcase 96 12
Legionnaires 44
Impulse 21
LSH(v4) 88
Legionnaires 45
Sovereign Seven Plus 1
Superman Plus 1
LSH(v4) 89
Legionnaires 46
LSH(v4) 90
Legionnaires 47
LSH(v4) 91
Impulse 23
Impulse 24
Impulse 25
Legionnaires 48
LSH(v4) 92
Legionnaires 49
LSH(v4) 93
Legionnaires 50
Supergirl Annual 2
LSH(v4) 94
Legionnaires 51
LSH(v4) 95
Legionnaires 52
LSH(v4) 96
Legionnaires 53
Superman (v2) 128
Genesis 1
Genesis 2
Adventures of Superman 551
Genesis 3
Superboy and Ravers 14
Superboy (v2) 44
Superboy (v2) 45
LSH(v4) 97
Wonder Woman (v2) 126
Genesis 4
Speed Force 1
Flash Secret Files 1
Inferno 1
Legionnaires 54
LSH(v4) 98
The Power of Shazam! 32
Starman (v2) 36
Legionnaires 55
LSH(v4) 99
Action Comics 741
Inferno 2
Legionnaires 56
Inferno 3
Inferno 4
Spider-Boy Team-Up 1 (Amalgam)
Unlimited Access 1
Unlimited Access 2
Unlimited Access 3
Unlimited Access 4
LSH(v4) 100
Legion: Secret Files 1
Chronos 8
Legionnaires 57
Green Lantern (v2) 97
Green Lantern (v2) 98
Green Lantern (v2) 99
Green Lantern (v2) 100
LSH(v4) 101
Adventures in the DC Universe 10
Legionnaire 58
Teen Titans 17
Superboy (v3) 49
LSH(v4) 102
Legionnaire 59
LSH(v4) 103
Lobo 50
Legionnaire 60
LSH(v4) 104
Legionnaire 61
LSH(v4) 105
Superman Villains Secret Files 1
Legends of the Legion 1
Legends of the Legion 2
Legends of the Legion 3
Legends of the Legion 4
Legionnaire 62
LSH(v4) 106
Legionnaire 63
Flash 80 Page Giant 1
Power of Shazam 41
JLA: World Without Grown-Ups 1
JLA: World Without Grown-Ups 2
Legion: Science Police 1
Legion: Science Police 2
Legion: Science Police 3
Legion: Science Police 4
Starman Secret Files 1
LSH(v4) 107
Legionnaire 64
LSH(v4) 108
Legionnaire 64
Power of Shazam! 43
Power of Shazam! 44
Adventure Comics 80-Page Giant 1
LSH(v4) 109
Martian Manhunter 1,000,000
Chronos1,000,000
Starman (v2) 1,000,000
Superman: The Man of Tomorrow 1,000,000
Legionnaires 1,000,000
LSH (v4) 1,000,000
DC One Million 80-Page Giant 1,000,000
Martian Manhunter 11
JLA in Crisis Secret Files 1
Legionnaires 66
LSH (v4) 110
Legionnaires 67
LSH (v4) 111
Starman (v2) 49
Starman (v2) 50
Legionnaires 68
LSH (v4) 112
DCU Heroes Secret Files 1
Legionnaires 69
LSH (v4) 113
Legionnaires 70
Flash 144
Flash 145
Flash 146
Flash 147
Flash 148
Flash 149
Flash 150
Impulse Bart Saves the Universe
LSH (v4) 114
Legionnaires 71
LSH (v4) 115
Legionnaires 72
LSH (v4) 116
Legionnaires 73
LSH (v4) 117
Legionnaires 74
LSH (v4) 118
Legionnaires 75
Impulse 51
LSH (v4) 118
Superboy (v3) 65
LSH (v4) 119
Legionnaires 76
LSH (v4) 120
Legionnaires 77
Legends of the DC Universe 80-Page Giant 2
LSH (v4) 121
Titans/Legion of Super-Heroes: Universe Ablaze 1
Titans/Legion of Super-Heroes: Universe Ablaze 2
Titans/Legion of Super-Heroes: Universe Ablaze 3
Titans/Legion of Super-Heroes: Universe Ablaze 4
Legion Secret Files 2
Legionnaires 78
LSH (v4) 122
Legionnaires 79
LSH (v4) 123
Legionnaires 80
Superman Y2K 1
LSH (v4) 124
Legionnaires 81
LSH (v4) 125
Legion Lost 1
Legion Lost 2
Legion Lost 3
Impulse 62
Legion Lost 4
Legion Lost 5
JSA 14
Legion Lost 6
Legion Lost 7
Legion Lost 8
Legion Lost 9
Legion Lost 10
Starman (v2) 73
Legion Lost 11
Hourman 24
Legion Lost 12
Superman (v2) 167
Legion Worlds 1
DC 1st 1
Legion Worlds 2
Legion Worlds 3
Legion Worlds 4
Legion Worlds 5
Legion Worlds 6
Starman (v2) 79
Starman (v2) 80
Young Justice: Our Worlds at War 1
Superman (v2) 171
Wonder Woman (v2) 174
Wonder Woman (v2) 175
The Legion 1
The Legion 2
Adventures of Superman 598
Secret Files & Origins Guide to the DC Universe 2001-2002
The Legion 3
The Legion 4
The Legion 5
Adventures of Superman 601
Adventures of Superman 602
The Legion 6
The Legion 7
The Legion 8
Impulse 86
Impulse 87
The Legion 9
The Legion 10
The Legion 11
The Legion 12
Young Justice 49
Young Justice 50
Young Justice 51
The Legion 13
The Legion 14
The Legion 15
The Legion 16
The Legion 17
The Legion 18
Young Justice 55
The Legion 19
The Legion 20
The Legion 21
The Legion 22
The Legion 23
The Legion 24
The Legion 25
The Legion 26
Legion Secret Files 3003
The Legion 27
The Legion 28
The Legion 29
The Legion 30
The Legion 31
The Legion 32
The Legion 33
The Legion 34
The Legion 35
The Legion 36
The Legion 37
The Legion 38
Teen Titans 15
Teen Titans 16
Teen Titans/Legion Special 1
Posted By: Arm Fall Off Boy Re: Question about the reboot - 02/16/09 03:20 AM
Hope you have a lot of dough SAL!
Posted By: Silver Age Lad Re: Question about the reboot - 02/16/09 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
Hope you have a lot of dough SAL!
I already own every issue from Adv 247 onwards - originals and electronically. so no I don't have a lot of dough!
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 02/17/09 12:51 AM
wow thank you SALhug
Posted By: Reboot Re: Question about the reboot - 02/21/09 04:25 AM
Just as something to point out - the Sovereign Seven issues were retconned into "just a dream" by the series' final issue (Chris Claremont owned the characters, and opted to nuke the series when he was done), and Titans/Legion was an alternate reality.
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: Question about the reboot - 01/18/10 07:16 AM
oksy so i know this is not a reboot Question but its 3 in the morning what issue is it revealed that Rj is Cham's dad?
Posted By: Silver Age Lad Re: Question about the reboot - 01/18/10 09:21 AM
#3 of the Secrets of the Legion Mini series
© Legion World