Legion World
I saw lil'rhino's sketch in the other thread and was wondering if anyone else has collected Legion convention sketches over the years? I love collecting sketches whenever possible but don't have any Legion ones. I was at San Diego Comic-Con last year and heard Chris Sprouse was supposed to be there but I couldn't find him. I would love to meet and get a sketch from Olivier Coipel. I might go to Germany this year, maybe I'll try for France?!? Bautista would be cool too if he attends any cons that I could get to...
I would love to have a convention sketch or two, but I'm too shy to approach an artist to ask for one... frown

But I do know that others here have 'em, so post 'em and let's see 'em! cool
I've got three from Jeff Moy (Lyle, XS, and Spark) and a Mon-El from someone who didn't work on a Legion work. Not bad, though.
One of my buddies has a Reverse Flash sketch by Geoff Johns, who was more than happy to do a little drawing at a convention rather than talk about his writing all day.
So how's Geoff as an artist?
What cons are people thinking about hitting up this year? I'll probably go to WonderCon in San Francisco. There's a couple of good guests confirmed so far - I will try as hard as I can to get an Adam Hughes Legion sketch (remember Legionnaires 13, 14, and like 16?) and maybe Darwin Cooke would be willing to serve up some Legion goodness...

I might also check out WizardWorld LA and will probably head down for San Diego again.
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
I've got three from Jeff Moy (Lyle, XS, and Spark) and a Mon-El from someone who didn't work on a Legion work. Not bad, though.
Have you got a scanner? smile
I've got four, three that I commissioned and one that I won at the Legion dinner in Chicago the year I did my Star Boy costume. I've got a Cosmic Boy by Jeff Moy, Apparition by Rich Gulick, Triad by Phil Moy (the quick sketch on hotel stationery I won) and this Mysa by Jon Watkins-Chow.

[Linked Image]

It's the only one I have scanned in, and they're all in frames now, so I don't think I'll be scanning the others. Sorry.
I don't think I'm familiar with Jon Watkins-Chow's work, but that's a very lovely Mysa.
Originally posted by STU:
I don't think I'm familiar with Jon Watkins-Chow's work, but that's a very lovely Mysa.
He did an independent book several years ago called "Talismen." It went up to about 4 or 5 issues. He formed a small company called Blink Comics, but that lasted all of issues 4 and 5. I liked his style, but some inkers just butchered him.
Thanks for the info, Eric!

I'll do a net search for that title a little later... maybe I can even dig up some issues somewhere...
John W-C has some pretty cool work and he does amazing stuff with markers. I remember seeing him stuff at conventions a few years ago and wanting (but not being able to afford) his sketches:
http://www.watkinschow.com/home.html
Originally posted by STU:
So how's Geoff as an artist?
Supposedly he's pretty good, although I've never actually seen the pic. Good enough to have his own book I guess, but probably not as good as his writing (Big time Geoff Johns fan here!)
Did you guys buy Teen Titans/Outsider Secret Files? Geoff drew the Kid Flash pin up. It was pretty good.
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
I would love to meet and get a sketch from Olivier Coipel
i met Olivier in Paris [ summer 2002 ] he's a great guy !!! really friendly !!!

he gave me one of his original pages from "LEGIONNAIRES" #80 [ page 14 ] featuring ULTRABOY !!! it's very cool !!!

and we've been in contact ever since .... he sends me preview pics as you've already seen, in the COMIC area !!!

Matthew.
here's me and Olivier !!!

[Linked Image]

Matthew.
this is probably the most cool Olivier Coipel piece of artwork, that i have !!! [ and it's not even the real thing, i only have an emailed image of it .... ]

but on, one of his final pages in "THE LEGION" #14 [ his last issue ] he told me he was gonna feature MY name somewhere !!!

he put it going round the logo on CUB's top !!! it didn't actually appear in the printed comic frown !!!

but it was still amazing ....

click to enlarge

Matthew.
John W-C has some pretty cool work and he does amazing stuff with markers. I remember seeing him stuff at conventions a few years ago and wanting (but not being able to afford) his sketches:
http://www.watkinschow.com/home.html
Cool! I didn't know he had a new web site. He used to be a staple at Motor City Con, but he wasn't there the last few times I've been and my like to his old web site went bad, so I thought he had disappeared from the field. Poking around the web site, I see he's charging a lot more for commissions than he used to, but he does do some really neat work.

Thanks for the update, Mel!
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:

he gave me one of his original pages from "LEGIONNAIRES" #80 [ page 14 ] featuring ULTRABOY !!! it's very cool !!!

and we've been in contact ever since .... he sends me preview pics as you've already seen, in the COMIC area !!!

Matthew.
Zut alor! That's awesome Matthew! I wouldn't mind going back to Paris, though Does Olivier speak any English (I've taking a few years of French but its been years now!)?
[b]i met Olivier in Paris [ summer 2002 ] he's a great guy !!! really friendly !!!

Matthew.
Zut alor! That's awesome Matthew! I wouldn't mind going back to Paris, though Does Olivier speak any English (I've taking a few years of French but its been years now!)? [/b]
yeah !!! Olivier speaks english really well !!! he lived in LA [ for about 4 years ] a couple of years ago, he was an ANIMATOR at "Dreamworks" !!!

so he's pretty good with the old english .....

Matthew.
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
they're all in frames now, so I don't think I'll be scanning the others. Sorry.
Well how about a digi-photo then? At least then us greedy graphiphiles will get a chance to see them even if it can't be high resolution.
- just a thought -
Ah, yes, digital cameras. What a great invention. And we have one. Here you go!

Cos by Jeff Moy:
[Linked Image]

Triad by Phil Moy (on Hyatt note pad paper):
[Linked Image]

Apparition by Rich Gulick (who was also a real cutie):
[Linked Image]
Hey thanks, Seymore. Those are great!
I didn't really love Moy's work on the book but his portraiture is marvelous.
Yeah, he did a sketch for me at Mid-Ohio con of some characters I created, and it turned out great. He likes to draw the women, but he doesn't disappoint on the guys.
Those are all very nice!

Rich Gulick's Apparition looks very Adams Hughes-esque to me (which is a good thing!)...
Ohh, convention sketches! I finally get to have ones of my very own done! Gotta remember to buy a sketch pad before July.

Anyone else got tips about what to bring to a convention? This'll be my very first one.
Water and food. Every single convention has some kind of food/drink outlet or stall or something only there's always massive queues and everything costs a fortune, so water and just some snack food are always a good idea.

As for anything else... nah, nothing really.
Bringing the right bag to a convention is essential - figure out how much you think you'll buy and bring something that'll be comfortable and easy to manuver in the often tight convention aisles. Don't kill yourself lugging things around (I almost did last year in San Diego). Cons sometimes have a bag check that can be handy if you end up buying a lot or buying bulky stuff. Bring a camera if you can, there's often neat things to take pictures of - creators, costumed con attendees, promo items, friends, etc. Bring cash - ATMs will often charge fees and vendors will not often take credit cards. Bring books by creators that you want signed. If you want to commission sketches for pay, bring good shots of the characters you want sketched. Get a good night's sleep the day before. Oh and wear comfortable shoes.

Re: sketches, If there's artists you definitely want sketches for, line up as early as possible. For two years in a row I've missed getting sketches from Humberto Ramos because I was too far in the line. Bringing pictures of the characters you want sketched is usually a good idea too. Hmm, what else...oh artists are usually much more receptive to a fan if you actually show that your a real fan of their work, not just somebody there to get a free sketch. Let them know that you like their work and why.
bump

This was the thirty-fifth topic on the former Trophy Room forum.
Any one going to Wizard World LA? I just booked a hotel room and look forward to convention sketch hunting in just under one month's time smile !
I finally registered so I could link to my small collection of LSH convention sketches . After about 2000 I started a new themed sketchbook and doubt that I will get many LSH-related sketches for a while -- unless someone wants to draw me a time bubble or something.

Oliver Coipel is very friendly. When I met him in 2001, he was still working on Legion Lost and he was pretty excited about working on the book.
Thanks for registering Autochef! I've been to your website before, good stuff! smile
Thanks for sharing those sketches! And welcome to Legion World!

Juan
I got some cool sketches this weekend, this is my first Legion one:
[Linked Image] lol
I'll post my other sketches from JJ Kirby, Jim Mahfood, Andy Lee, Ale Garza, and Dave Finch later this week (hopefully) in my sketch gallery .
Since we're smack dab in the middle of convention season, I'd I thought I'd bring this back up and see if people had anything new to share...
I'm surprised that Lashie Poo didn't comment on that M-E Lad pic. Could it be that he missed it the first time around?
I've already said it in my welcome thread but it will be more visible here:

Olivier Coipel will be at the San Diego Convention! That's what he told me.

Maybe with Jean-Jacques Dzialowski which was still hesitating.

Matthew.
You are so a lucky guy!

It confirms that Olivier is a very cool artist because i can't find another one who will give an original like that!

What were the circumstances under this ? was it your birthday or something ? a special event ? a good feeling ? Sorry if i'm too curious but i find this interesting.
WOW!!!!!!!! I did miss it before, Cruey!

I LOVE Todd N's art-- that is one hot Tenzil!!!
If you guys haven't looked, check it out:
http://vondoom.free.fr/PagesHTML/Accueil/toystarOlivier.htm

That is an awesome sketch Querl Dox (you don't have to scan it in for me anymore)! I think I am going to San Diego this year so I will definitely look out for Olivier! I hope he's not too busy?!? Merci!
And you have to remember he did it after so many hours drawing! Me, i was like WOW! How impressive! That was worth the wait!
If Oliver is going to be there then he'll be on my list of artists to get a sketch from.

Thanks for posting the link MEL. Love that Garth sketch.
I'll have to look out for him as well.

And I'll make it a point to get there early. I know Jeff Moy's sketch list was usually filled within a very short time. I'll expect no less for Coipel.
I don't know in the US but here, usually you have to come very early for Olivier because there is a lot of people and Olivier takes his time to do a great sketch for all his fans!

Oh! and MEL, that's a great Matter-Eater Lad you have! i like it!
I wonder if Olivier will be part of the Marvel booth (if they have one) or as an artist in 'artist's alley'. QD, are you going to make your way to San Diego this year (I'd imagine it would be quite a flight from France).
No, i can't. I don't have any money at the moment!

All i have is spent in public transport and in food because i'm in a small company so there is nothing for that and we have to eat outside every day.

Maybe visiting my parents in august but nothing is done yet (they offer me the flight). It depends on my activity at this time.

What are the days of the convention ? Because i'm working until the end of july.

Is there something near Detroit in august ?
The next Motor City Con in Novi, Mich., isn't until October this year. It's not very big anyway. The big one is in May.

But maybe the Michigan LWers could get together and make one. We'll bring some comics to look at in case you want to buy them, and I can sketch really bad pictures for you. smile

Or maybe we could just all do lunch. smile
I wonder if Olivier will be part of the Marvel booth (if they have one) or as an artist in 'artist's alley'.
Marvel is listed as an exhibitor this year so it could be that they actually have a booth this time out.

Olivier isn't mentioned on either the Artists' Alley or Guest list yet which either means he'll be appearing strictly with an exhibitor (which would likely be Marvel) or his apperance hasn't been finalized yet. I suspect the latter.
QD, San Diego is July 22-25 this year:
http://www.comic-con.org/Pages/CCIWhatsNew.html

Thanks for research OM. I see Adam Hughes and Jeff Moy are listed. Jim Lee and John Watins-Chow has done some legion stuff. Any other Legion friendly folks?
I thought I'd bump this up for people to post what they got at San Diego Con. I didn't get a chance to scan my pieces in because I got in pretty late last night. I was able to see Adam Hughes, Tony Harris, and Olivier Coipel but missed Dan Jurgens and Chris Batista. Where oh where was Chris!?! frown
So, you finally have your sketch of Olivier, MEL! That's great!
Yep, and thanks again for letting us know he was going to be there. QD! I was at the Marvel/Activision booth and saw who I thought was Olivier. I went over to talk to him and he said he was sketching at 4pm (Friday) so I made it a point to skip Jim Lee and be 1st in line of Coipel. More on my bi-lingual conversation with Olivier plus tard...
Someone at the Adam Hughes yahoo group said they got a great sketch of DREAM GIRL by AH! I'm anxiously awaiting the scan.... As soon as it's posted, I'll re-post it here (when permission is given).
MEL has one! It was beautiful!
Hey Dean, I think that someone at Adam Hughes' Yahoo group was me, actually laugh
[Linked Image]

So the story behind this one: Adam's sketch literally fills up in the first 5-10 minutes of the first day of con and I wasn't able to get there till Friday. I happen to be lucky enough to catch Adam when he was doing quick headshots for folks to promote the book "The Ride". I asked for Dream Girl and Adam gave me this. I think he was going to add the star until he realized that the star was supposed to be on the other side of the face so he stopped.
Next, I went over to Tony Harris' table he shared with friends called "Fat Nake Rave" to see if Tony was still sketching at the time. He said his list was full but to try him later at the DC booth. I looked through his sketch pile and found this little gem for just $20! All the others were around $50+ so I think I lucked out: [Linked Image]
After meeting the Legionworld folks on Saturday I headed over to see Stan Lee. After Stan, I ran back to the DC booth to catch Tony Harris. I was second to last person, but he was still able to crank out Brainiac 5.1 for me while we talked about his new book Ex-Machina and the funny spots on Brainiac's face:
[Linked Image]
Okay so not exactly Legion, but here's Olivier Coipel doing Nightcrawler!!! I was perusing the Marvel/Activision booth when I saw a guy that I thought I recognized as Olivier Coipel from a pic I found online. I went up to him to confirm and he told me he was going to sketch later on in the day. I came back and was first in line as we spoke about Matt and his yahoo group, about Legion and Paris and other stuff. He was super cool and super nice (as Ultra Matt and Querl Dox have already told us here). I told him I was both a Legion and X-Men fan and would let him pic who to sketch. He chose Nightcrawler so le voila!
[Linked Image]

That's it for Legion sketches, if you want to see my other new ones, including Beast Boy (sorta), Sewer Urchin Man, and that fish guy from Kirkman's Invincible check out my site.
How come I'm always late for this stuff!!! Great collection MEL!!!! Thanks for sharing! Yeah, it was you I was talking about at the AH! group. Thanks for the email, too...
Olivier's Nighty sketch is BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL!!
*hic*
Saturday, there was a festival in Paris and Olivier Coipel was there. On this occasion, i had a second sketch from him! It represents Violet and i like it as the previous Live Wire i've had the other time.
I'll try to post it tommorrow if i can found some time, otherwise it will be on monday. smile
So here it is:

Violet Sketch
Salut QD! Let me try to exercise my rusty french:
C'est un eh...peinture tres joli? J'oublie les mots pour "sketch" ou "drawing". A t-il dessine beaucoup de X-Men et Legion?
Also if anyones a member of Adam Hughes' fan group, someone posted a Dawnstar that Adam drew at Baltimore comic-con. Go check it out...
Originally posted by Soy-Monkey Eater Lad:
Salut QD! Let me try to exercise my rusty french:
C'est un eh...peinture tres joli? J'oublie les mots pour "sketch" ou "drawing". A t-il dessine beaucoup de X-Men et Legion?
Eh! You speak very well! wink

And yes, he draw a lot of X-Men or Avengers and some legion. This time, i wasn't the only one to ask for a legion sketch! tongue There was a few Live Wire too. (2 or 3 if i can remember correctly).

The other sketches will be posted on the net and as soon as it is done, i will give you the link.
Originally posted by Soy-Monkey Eater Lad:
Also if anyones a member of Adam Hughes' fan group, someone posted a Dawnstar that Adam drew at Baltimore comic-con. Go check it out...
There's a copy of it in the Bits forum in Greybird's Winged People thread. I also posted a version of it which I colored (plug!).
Originally posted by the boy with SuperPowers:
[b] I would love to meet and get a sketch from Olivier Coipel

Matthew.[/b]
That's hot, man. Wow. Definitely sounds like a cool thing you fell into with him. Coipel's a great artist.
Who got some con sketches at WW Texas!?! C'mon, I wanna see pictures!
Barry was such a trooper in regard to sketches... the guy was sitting there for like hours on end, all day every day, sketching.

He was very popular, too, and understandably so... the line for sketches was literally hours long.
STU speaks the truth.

I was the Last In Line (meaning I held the Official DC sign saying just that) on Saturday. There were maybe 30-40 minutes left before the con shut down for the day, and I did not think Barry would be able to get to me. There were other folks behind me, too, hoping to get a sketch or some signatures.

Anyway, Barry told me to put the sign away. He was intent on getting to as many people as he could. The whole team was incredibly generous with their time.

And my Starman sketch looks great. (What, you thought I would get a Legionnaire?)
ooooo can i see it? you have a bunch of jsa sketches now don't know? i always wanted to do a theme based sketch book but can never keep it focused.
I especially like the Green Lantern (Alan Scott) & Flash (Jay Garrick) in Miner's sketch book
I got a quick sketch from David Mack I still need to scan and upload. Maybe tonight. cool
Originally posted by Querl Dox:
So here it is:

Violet Sketch
Wow -- such a cute Violet! Love it! love

Thanks for sharing, QD. smile
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
I especially like the Green Lantern (Alan Scott) & Flash (Jay Garrick) in Miner's sketch book
The Alan Scott is by Pete Woods of Robin/Detective Comics fame. He and his wife are two of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of talking to at a con.

The Jay Garrick is by Chris Giarrusso, who some may know as the guy who did the "Mini-Marvels" books.

The other sketches are by Steve Sadowski, Matt Wagner, Mick Gray, Tom Mandrake, and of course Barry Kitson.

MEL, I'm afraid I just don't have the tech to post any of my stuff here, or I certainly would.
I wish I had known that, Miner, when we were in San Diego. I had my scanner with me and could have scanned in your sketch book. It was quite a nice collection.
I really have no words to express how I feel about this sketch. Everyone who went to the con who helped acquire this for me should be nominated for sainthood. And Barry as well. Thank you Outdoor Miner, Pov, Yellow Kid, Quislet, Stu and Barry!

click to enlarge
Scott,

I am glad you liked it. It was the least we could do for the vouchers you gave us.

The idea to get you a Proty sketch was quickly voted down wink
rotflmao
BTW, that sketch makes Garth look like quite a hottie. laugh
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I really have no words to express how I feel about this sketch. Everyone who went to the con who helped acquire this for me should be nominated for sainthood. And Barry as well. Thank you Outdoor Miner, Pov, Yellow Kid, Quislet, Stu and Barry!

click to enlarge
Scott,

what was your reaction upon getting the package and then when you saw what was in it?
Originally posted by Vee:
BTW, that sketch makes Garth look like quite a hottie. laugh
I noticed, but I thought the same from the Preview. That's some nice piece of art.
Take my word for it, the scan doesn't do the original justice. love

Barry did a FABulous job on ALL the sketches I saw him do in Dallas. Miner's Starman was a beaut, too, as was Stuey's Dragonmage.
No prob Miner, I'll check it out next time I see you smile

Scott, that's awesome! You Dallas folks are awesome! Sut, can I pleasepleaseplease see the Dragonmage!?!
Scott,

what was your reaction upon getting the package and then when you saw what was in it?
I think Pov got it right in the shout box. ElasticLad
Yay ! You got it.
Barry drew that on Saturday just after the Legion panel. It truly was a group effort to get that piece for you and believe me Scott we were all very pleased to be there for you, even barry commented that he needed to make it special for you.
I'm so glad you posted it, I've been anticipating seeing it again and it looks as good as I remember.

It's a thank you from all of us for being here for us. We had a marvelous time in the line chatting with Barry and each other acting like we were doing something sneaky and all of us really enjoyed watching the Barry do this wonderful sketch.

So, thank you from all of us here at LegionWorld for working so hard and making this message board so special.
[b]Scott,

I think Pov got it right in the shout box. ElasticLad [/b]
And what does Caroline think about the sketch?
Scott,

I am glad you liked it. It was the least we could do for the vouchers you gave us.

I probably would have been shocked but then laughed my ass off if you guys had done that. I'd still love it just as much.
[b]
[b]Scott,

I think Pov got it right in the shout box. ElasticLad [/b]
And what does Caroline think about the sketch?[/b]
She was very touched that you guys thought to include her. And I know she likes this look for Garth too.
Sut, can I pleasepleaseplease see the Dragonmage!?!
Once I get a hold of a scanner...

-SUT ( wink )
Glad you liked it, Scott! smile cool
I wish I had known that, Miner, when we were in San Diego. I had my scanner with me and could have scanned in your sketch book. It was quite a nice collection.
Thanks for the offer, Scott. I may take you up on that when I see you and MEL next year in SD. smile

I'm so glad you got the sketch and that you like it so much.
Yahoo...he likes it he really likes it.

I have to say the gang shared their sketch books and they have a really cool collection.
Pen,pencil and even a few washes. I was totally in awe.
I was amazed at the art Barry did for the crew. I watched him draw the sketch for LL and the one he did for Stu was just awsome.
Originally posted by Stargazer:

the one he did for Stu was just awsome.
Seriously.

wink
That Lightning Lad sketch by Barry is amazing!
Bumpy! Anyone else got new Legiony sketches? 'Sut'? wink

There's are from Wondercon 2005:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sweet.

So who did what?
Yeah, they are nice.

And same question than Outdoor Miner.
Oops, sorry boys. Ultra Boy by Matthew Clark (Inhumans, Superman, Wonderwoman) and Superboy by Ale Garza (Batgirl, Gen 13). Hey 'Miner, don't forget to bring you JSA book with you to San Diego - I wanna see it again smile
Chlorophyll Kid by Scott Mills!
[Linked Image]

I can't wait for San Diego! And is anyone gonna go to Heroescon? I really wanna check it out if I can...
Who got new sketches!?! Seymour, I think you've got some colorful contributions, don't you? I've got to scan mine first, but here's a Chameleon I got from Heroescon:
[Linked Image]
I can't wait!
Me neither !!

BouncingBoy
Here's the only sketch I could safely get home in my luggage. The rest are coming via Fed Ex. Todd Nauck returned to the Subs with this head sketch of Color Kid. He even added a bit of, well, color.
[Linked Image]

My other Color Kid and my Princess Projectra should arrive Wednesday or Thursday, and I'll get them up ASAP.
Looks nice, Seymour!

Unfortunately, I still have no scanner, so I won't be posting either of the ones I got.
Very nice, Seymour!

We need to get OM a scanner!
Awesome Color Kid Seymour! Oh and trust me, OM's Cooke sketch is beautiful! I have yet to unpack but I did scan my Legion related sketches!

Here's Phil Jimenez's take on Apparition:
[Linked Image]

Eric Wright's Bouncing Boy:
[Linked Image]

Todd Nauck's Dragonmage:
[Linked Image]

And Amanda Conner's Saturn Girl:
[Linked Image]

Amanda said the Legion definitely appear in the upcoming JSA issue (not just on the cover) and that she had fun with it. She even said she looked up Imra's stats on some website which quoted her as being 6 feet tall and like 120 lbs. so she drew her as a lanky barbie girl.

I got other non-Legion sketches that I haven't scanned yet but y'all might like to see. I'll post to link to 'em when I'm done.
I saw your Dragonmage already. Still awesome.

I love these. Eric needs to do a Bouncing Boy mini-series.
Very fun -- glad to see the rest of your stash. I can't wait til mine arrives. Should be here tomorrow!
Great additions MEL! And we need to get Nauck on a Legion back-up story, pronto!
Amanda said the Legion definitely appear in the upcoming JSA issue (not just on the cover) and that she had fun with it. She even said she looked up Imra's stats on some website which quoted her as being 6 feet tall and like 120 lbs. so she drew her as a lanky barbie girl.
She would have gotten that from DC's Legion Secret Files on their site which is WAY off. The only Legionnaires there (besides the obviously wrong Imra) listed as being that tall are Lar and Candi, both who are also 6'1". All the guys are 5'10" (Garth) or less. Of course Ferro is more screwed up, being listed as 6'7"! eek

The Sourcebooks list the adult Mrs. Ranzz as only 5'5" which is about average for the Legion women.

Along with Jeff's costume guide, I think we need to put together a character style guide for these creators. Or we need to convince them to come to the true source for any Legion info. Us! Like DC really knows. smile
Take THAT back to Stevie, Wacker-Mole! lol laugh
I guess actually Mark and Barry should be the ones to come up with the new "measurements" since this is a reboot. Why use the old information at all? Maybe DC is really doing them a dis-service by still having that old information listed there.

Or maybe there is a reason it hasn't been pulled yet. hmmm
The probably forgot it's there. :rolleyes:
Yay!! They arrived today!!!!

Here's the rest of my Legion art from San Diego. First, Jeff Moy did an awesome Color Kid for me:

[Linked Image]

And my Princess Projectra by John Watkins-Chow:

[Linked Image]
Great additions Seymour! You better hide that Color Kid before Kat drafts him into one of her contests. wink
That Projectra is great! love
:thumbsup:
Great additions Seymour! You better hide that Color Kid before Kat drafts him into one of her contests. wink
Gosh, what a travesty it would be to see the talented colorists of Legion World give Ulu a try. Where do I sign up? smile
BouncingBoy

Wait til you guys see the Moy sketch of Mon and Condo together that Seymour got me while he was in San Diego. It's great!

BouncingBoy
Seymour that Color Kid is wonderful! Moy did a great job on him. Can't wait until some of our colorists get there hands on all of these sketches. It will be neat to see all of them in full color.
All these new sketches are beautiful. You're all lucky to have them. smile

When i'll be in the USA soon i hope i could go to one of the conventions. And maybe meet with some of you.
When and where are you going to be in the States, QD?
Those are awesome Seymour! I wish I had comissioned something from John Watkins-Chow - I ended up just getting a head sketch from him...

Here's the other stuff I ended up getting non-Legion related:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=4386

And I actually (somehow?!?) got a Jim Lee sketch! Though not from San Diego, actually from the Isotope Comics grand reopening in San Francisco - and I saw LyleLyle there too!
Took me a while to get this scanned properly and then resized but here is the Moy sketch of Mon and Condo that Seymour was nice enough to get for me in San Diego.

[Linked Image]

The link below will take you to a much large version at Imagevenue but be warned, it's about 950K!!!

Mon & Condo by Moy

When our great LW colorists get a chance, I would just love to see what you all can do with this! hint, hint, hint laugh

edit: Well, I can't seem to get the smaller version to show even though it's in the LW photo album not offsite. Of course, I couldn't get it to show from offsite either laugh Maybe someone else can figure out what I've done wrong in using the IMG button.
Since there's a rumour going round that Vee is useless at posting images wink

[Linked Image]

You should really Img-link to the image itself, rather than the page, basically smile
Thanks Reboot! laugh
[Linked Image]

I got some new (non-convention) Legion sketches! LL, Evolvo Lad, and Tellus!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=7246
hey Reboot, that Moy sketch should have Invisible Kid instead of Mon-el!! Remember the "C" note that Lyle got?
Today, Adam Hughes was here in Paris in a comics-shop.

I have a great sketch of Andromeda. smile

All the sketches have been scanned, so i will post the link as soon as it is on the shop's website.
Speaking of Sketches....

I have a new Sketch of SHADOW LASS by Adam Hughes from the Baltimore Comic-Con.

Check it out here.

Legionnaires by AH!

Enjoy.

LLLater!

Chad
I *LOVE* the Scott Mills stuff MEL! His Chlorophyll Kid is to die for! What else has this guy done? I know I've heard the name but I can't think where.
whoa...Adam Hughes really draw a very very thin string on Shadow Lass's but looks sexy!
Yeah I view that as Shady's "thong" top. Below is the reference he used.

Also - - Querl Dox , can't wait to see your stuff!!

[Linked Image]

LLLater!

Chad
Originally posted by Blacula:
I *LOVE* the Scott Mills stuff MEL! His Chlorophyll Kid is to die for! What else has this guy done? I know I've heard the name but I can't think where.
Lots of indie/small press stuff..."Superheroes and Seamonsters" I think?

What are the Boston kids getting sketch-wise this weekend!?!
oh Ultra Boy - loved that cover....especially that Legion logo and Tyroc's next-to-final appearance. *sniff* Nostalgia works! *sniff*
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
oh Ultra Boy - loved that cover....especially that Legion logo and Tyroc's next-to-final appearance. *sniff* Nostalgia works! *sniff*
FYI: Superboy, Tyroc made one final pre-CRISIS appearence before Levitz decided to get rid of him completely - it was during the SECRETS OF THE LSH (the RJ Brande/Cham family connection three-parter). I hope that is, at least, a small comfort to you. smile
i've had other sketches done by some french artists.

They are artists i know and one do it for me as a gift before i leave to the USA, and i asked the others to do a sketch showing, in their way, characters from LOSH. I thought it would be interesting to see.

One made me the character from his french comics with the costume of Kid Quantum from The Legion.
I also have a great sketch of M'onel and Saturn Girl from pictures in Legion Worlds 1.
And the third is Element Lad adapted from Barry Kitson's design.

I will scan them this week-end and i will try to put all that here with my Andromeda sketch from Adam Hughes i was talking about in my last message here.
While this is not a "Con Sketch".... this is a piece that I got at a con!

At Mid-Ohio-Con this weekend Chris Sprouse had brought this along for me to purchase.

This is the Costume/Character Design sheet for Mano of The Fatal Five, from the Legionnaires series in 1993.

[Linked Image]

For a larger image CLICK HERE!

I love the use of all the ink & whiteout that you can really see in the larger image.

Last year @ MOC I had gotten most of the other Costume/Character Design sheets from Chris & I will try to get those up sometime soon too!

Hope you like.

LLLater!
Oooh, pretty. laugh
Keeping the thread going. . . . . biggrinbounce

Here is a sketch done a few years back for me by Mike Grell.

Hope you enjoy!

LLLater!

Click to enlarge:
click to enlarge
Just got this from Mark Waid and Amanda Conner at Wizard World LA:
[Linked Image]

And these were from Wondercon 2006:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Love them MEL! How awesome.
Thanks Vu! Hey, I'm still waiting to see Querl Dox's amazing sounding sketches!!!
Thanks for reminding me about it, MEL.

Andromeda by Adam Hughes:
[Linked Image]

Saturn Girl and M'onel from pictures in Legion World #1 by a french artist whose a friend of mine:
[Linked Image]
The scan on this one is really bad i think, the sketch is really better than that. we can't see all the shades/nuances of it. it is really better than what it looks like here.

and then, there is Element Lad from the latest design of Legion of Super-Heroes by Barry Kitson, a little re-interpreted by another french artist whose a friend of mine:
[Linked Image]
Those are awesome QD! Was the Andromeda one done on orange paper or was it colored in? The other two are really well done as well. You should look in to comic book conventions in your area now that you're in Michigan. There's Motor City Con for example but I'm not sure how far that is from you:
http://www.motorcityconventions.com/motor_city_comic_con/
Hey! Thanks for the link MEL!

it's great, it's near where i live. i only need 1 hour driving to go to Novi.

So this convention is in May. I will start preparing my trip, and buy my tickets!

As for the sketches, only the third one is on a white paper. The first two are on colored paper.

For Adam Hughes, i had a look at her costume and brought with me a paper the same color.

The other colored one, the french artist whose my friend do some painting on it as you can see, and the color of the paint and the paper's color where mixing as the paint was drying on it, creating so much shades, nuances on it.

That's why i'm telling in my previous post that the scan is bad because we can't see that.
Querl,

Thanks for sharing. Those are nice.

Off course I especially like the Hughes, and love the colored paper!

Very cool. Good luck on more in the future!

LLLater!

UltraBoy3
Very cool Querl. Love the reinterpretation of Jan.
I have a Ultra Boy/Apparition by Chris Sprouse. It took him about 6 months to get it to me, so he penciled/inked and colored it. Great guy to talk too as well.

I have a Jeff Moy Ultra Boy.

I have a bunch of other convention art as well.

Flash head by Ringo

GL - Kyle - head by Banks

Golden Age Sandman by Guy Davis

Golden age Flash and GL by ... Matt ...cannot remember his name right now, but he did the dead JSA'er dinner issue of Starman.

Booster Gold by Jurgens

Batman by Kelly Jones

plus others.
Don't just tease, give us a peek! smile
I missed the Emerald City con this year. I'm terrible with the calendar, I guess. Sigh. I'm hoping someone on the Adam Hughes yahoo group got a Legion sketch, but so far no one has posted one.
Toronto Comicon this weekend. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go. But before the Con I was able to get into the store that was sponsoring a Women in Comics panel.

Gail Simone, Becky Cloonan and Amanda Conner were signing in store and I got Amanda to draw me this Tinya after she autographed a few books.

[Linked Image]
That's awesome! I love Amanda's work! How did you decide on asking for Tinya? Did you get anything from Becky Cloonan? I really like her work on Demo...

Recently got new Superboy and Shadow Lass sketches (though not from cons):
Hmmmm. Mark Waid seems to be adding dialogue to convention sketches. Could it be because of what I started in Dallas?
Hmmmm. Mark Waid seems to be adding dialogue to convention sketches. Could it be because of what I started in Dallas?
You were on Dallas? Which season? cool
[b] Hmmmm. Mark Waid seems to be adding dialogue to convention sketches. Could it be because of what I started in Dallas?
You were on Dallas? Which season? cool [/b]
The one in which JR is revealed to be the Time Trapper and Miss Elly as a Durlan.
I didn't get anything from Becky cuz I didn't know what to ask for. I did buy one of her trades and have her sign. She did a tiny doodle as part of her autograph.

I got talking to Amanda and asked about her upcoming projects (I know what she and Jimmy and Justin are working on next for DC tease ) I mentioned that I liked her recent letters pages. She said she loved PG's outfit. So when she asked what I'd like and it was between Tinya and Shady (from the letter's page).
Got this Noto sketch this past weekend...
[Linked Image]
MEL,

OK, that is just "sick"!

What a nice piece.

I am currently waiting for Phil to finish a commission for me of. . . . .

"Whichever Legion gal he feels motivated to draw in a silver age style!"

I should be so lucky that mine comes out as nice as yours. Congrats on a beauty of a piece!

LLLater!

UltraBoy3
I got this online recently:
[Linked Image]

Any new Legiony sketches? Perhaps from temporary Baltimorians?
Wow you guys have some awesome Sketches.I wish I had some but once I'dget my nerve up to ask anartist to draw me someone, I wouldn't know who to ask for.These make me sooo jealous:)
i can't scan my Atom Girl sketch by Barry,but i'm sure Ultra Boy will post the picture he took of it when he can.
Look at what I got!
[Linked Image]
Nice!
Querl Dox

Applicant

posted September 11, 2006 06:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i can't scan my Atom Girl sketch by Barry,but i'm sure Ultra Boy will post the picture he took of it when he can.
It is posted in the files for Barry Kitson Baltimore Con Sketches in his Yahoo group.
Baltimore 2006 sketches
Here it is.

click to enlarge

Or here.

LLLater!

UltraBoy3
I got this online recently:
[Linked Image]

Any new Legiony sketches? Perhaps from temporary Baltimorians?
Hey Moneky Eater Lad... I saw this on ebay and had to get all of them. I now have all the Legionnaires done by Mike Grell. Of course I also had him do me an Infectious Lass. If I cn figure out how to post the pics, I will.
PLEASE POST THE INFECTIOUS LASS!!!
Sketch... I'm at work right now, but the place I had it commissioned thru has a pic of it online. I hope this link will work.
http://catskillcomics.com/grell/LSHsub1.jpg
If not just cut and paste I guess. Mike had done all the Legionnaires but 3. I had him do Supergirl, Chemical King and Ferro Lad so I would have all the legionnaires up thru Dawn*Star.
Awesome! Would love to see them all together some time...
Mokey Eater Lad... if you go to the catskills home page, and look under the Mike Grell gallery, it has all the cards there. I treated myself to get them. smile
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Past weekend. Paul Smith. Dawnstar. Nuff 'said.

[Linked Image]
I got some great art this weekend at Wondercon 2007.
Andy MacDonald doing Wildfire:
[Linked Image]
Jacob Chabot on Mon-El:
[Linked Image]
Chris Giarrusso on Matter-Eater Lad and Spider-Ham:
[Linked Image]
Haha... yay Matter-Eater Lad!!! I can't wait for the day of his return to modern day Legion.
Gems!
Just got back from Wizard World LA with this Todd Nauck Cos:
[Linked Image]

Anybody else got anything new?!
Got this in San Jose this weekend:
[Linked Image]

Anybody else get anything cool recently?
Forgot to post these sketches from my trip to the Bristol Comic convention.

click to enlarge

this is by Joel McCrea.
A rather nice Green Lantern by Gary Erskine.

click to enlarge

He was laughing as he had been asked for a lot of these over the weekend. Something else else to do with his JSA work i guess.

(Thats funny, it links through to the picture but the thumb wont show. Especially as i dont think i have done anything different to the WW picture that does show. I have to go to do some work so will have a look later ) confused
Here’s a gorgeous Kara from Phil Winslade.

click to enlarge

I also got a chance to look at some pencils he has done for a brave and bold staring Supergirl and Raven. They look spectacular and the storyline seems to be addressing a lot of the personal demons we have seen Supegirl suffering from lately.
and finally another wonderful piece from Mr Kitson.

I love his tinya.

click to enlarge
Wow a great haul Darden.

As I mentioned a Convention hit Toronto (and my wallet) this weekend.

Here's a Ilyana (Magick) sketch from Niko Hendrichon. The next day he did an Iron Man that everyone was ooing and awing about. I love his art, though its too 'European' for most superhero books. Maybe it'd work for a magical or fantasy style hero.

[Linked Image]

I'll post more as I have some time.
A cute play on the current Tinya's origin issue by Danielle Corsetto.

[Linked Image]
The mouse guard has arrived.

[Linked Image]
Sweet stuff guys!
What's new with your collection!?!
I got this Francis prelim:
click to enlarge
And I commissioned this MEL sketch and got the Saturn girl for free!
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
I like Tenzil - man eating shark So tongue to Irma
Only got one Legion sketch at Wondercon 2008 this weekend but I did try to get Darwyn Cooke and Tim Sale to do some, honest!
click to enlarge
HEY!!!!
i saw this sketch being worked on by the artist at Wondercon.
who are you? i live in san fran.
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
HEY!!!!
i saw this sketch being worked on by the artist at Wondercon.
who are you? i live in san fran.
i am me smile my name's kevin. i work in sf.
Gary Frank costumed Dawny:
click to enlarge

Classic Cos:
click to enlarge
Those are awesome, MEL. Thanks for sharing! Who drew that rocking Phantom Girl one? I'm not familiar with the style or initials.
I decided to commission something by Agnes Garbowska as a treat this spring. As some of you know, Agnes is the significant other of current legion artist FJM. I've wanted to get one of these cute hero pieces since I saw them a few years back. So with Francis drawing Legion I had this idea I thought would be really cute. It turned out even better than I hoped.

I would love a Legion of Little Heroes book.

Remember Brainy only messes with you if you take his Planetary Dance Dance Revolution Machine away.

[Linked Image]
That's awesome!
That's adorable. smile
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I decided to commission something by Agnes Garbowska as a treat this spring. As some of you know, Agnes is the significant other of current legion artist FJM. I've wanted to get one of these cute hero pieces since I saw them a few years back. So with Francis drawing Legion I had this idea I thought would be really cute. It turned out even better than I hoped.

I would love a Legion of Little Heroes book.

Remember Brainy only messes with you if you take his Planetary Dance Dance Revolution Machine away.

[Linked Image]
I had to get this onto the next page! LOVE it!
yeah it's an awesome piece! I think it'd be a cool t-shirt..heh. here's a better scan of the piece since the last scan didn't do it justice. laugh

[Linked Image]
Thanks Francis. laugh

My capture equipment can't get the saturation and contrast levels up. Yeah that does much more justice to Agnes' colours. smile
wow that's the coolest sketch ever! i want one too!

here's what i got at 'super-con' in san jose recently:

Amanda Conner on Night Girl:
click to enlarge

David Bullock on Saturn Girl:
click to enlarge

Baus Reo on Animated Brainy's crush:
click to enlarge
Ooh, looks like I'm the first to post a sketch from San Diego. I didn't commission any Legionnaires this year, but here's my Francis Lightning Lad. Thanks, Francis! He's awesome!

[Linked Image]
Francis and Agnes stopped by to say hello and Francis very generously offered to do sketches for us. This is Shadow Lass:

[Linked Image]

And our very own Monkey-Eater Lad took time off from his Chimpanzee Pizza to immortalize me. The Louvre will never get this - they must be satisfied with the Mona Lisa!

[Linked Image]
Ladapul (Francis Manapul's chosen Legion name laugh ) drew this pic of Cos for me at our table. I'd wondered what his Cos would look like!

click to enlarge

And here's Monkey-Eater Lad's rendition of Rockhopper Lad--or, as I called him, Lad-Eater Penguin! wink

click to enlarge
I should have asked Monkey_eater Lad to do a sketch of me. That would have been hella cool.
MEL has skills, and not just in matters of monkey eating

[Linked Image]
When was FJM at the table? Rocky, I am totally jealous of of your Cosmic Boy!

I'll scan mine and post them tomorrow.
He came by on Sunday afternoon. He told me he was disappointed that he hasn't really had the chance to draw Cos, so he was very glad to oblige.
Yet another reason I should have delayed my flight till Sunday Night.

Thanks for sharing Rocky!
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
He came by on Sunday afternoon. He told me he was disappointed that he hasn't really had the chance to draw Cos, so he was very glad to oblige.
SPOILER!!!
love

click to enlarge
Gary, that is super-cool!
Gee I wish he had been there Friday or Saturday! I would have had him draw Dream Girl. I didn't go Sunday....Francis was the one person I wanted to meet at San Diego and I didn't get to meet him. frown
Buggersall! I missed sketching for Quis?!? AND I missed seeing Francis and Agnes!?! Oh the inhumanity!
[Linked Image]

I got this as SDCC08

Todd Nauck is the artist

This is my first post, I met legionworld.net people at the LSH panel
Mmkay so I finally got around to scanning and cropping all the stuff I got at San Diego Comic-Con 2008 (and then some). Here's all the new stuff:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryNew.asp?GCat=4386

And just the Legion stuff...

A sampling of the Legion related pieces...

Bouncing Boy by Sanford Greene:
[Linked Image]

Infectious Lass by Gregg Schigiel:
[Linked Image]

And the mandatory Chris Giarrusso:
[Linked Image]
All of these are fantastic! I am very jealous. frown
Welcome Producing Lad! Hey were you the guy that was in line with me at the DC Booth Saturday waiting for a sketch by the current Action Comics artist?

Kevin, I am totally jealous of the Tiny Titans pieces, I wish I had visited their booth to get those!
whoa these are all so cool! i always wished nauck did more legion stuff than that one (or two?) issues back in the day.

Gregg Schigiel is a beast! what a cool picture!!!
yes RTVU2, that was me, I'm glad I jumped out of line, gave me another chance to talk to Matt Wagner about Grendel.

I think Nauck would be great back on the Legion. His art is cute but more serious then the Moy stuff.
Here is my Ultra Boy sketch from the Con by Todd Nauck. Click to see a bigger version.

click to enlarge
Sweet! I totally forgot Nauck was even there. Too much con, too little time.
Welcome, Producing Lad!
Ah man, quite the collection the gang got in San Diego.
Hello all,

I've been ccllecting Legion sketches for many years. I've gotten sketches from artists ranging from Sergio Aragones, Frank Cho, Mike Grell, Phil Foglio, Adam Hughes, Dan Jurgens, Scott Kurtz, Greg Land, Marshall Rogers, Michael Turner, Jim Lee, Joe Staton -- 106 sketches in all.

The sketchbook has been my pride and joy at conventions. It's now been all filled up, so I've scanned them all in and put them on a website. The web address is http://dirtboy11.googlepages.com/

Feel free to check it out. Let me know what you think (preferably by email -- dirt-boy-lsh@charter.net)
Somehow, Dirt-Boy, the site is not working correctly. I can't see the full pictures when clicking.
What is it that you're clicking? The pictures or the links above them?
Oh, I see... I was clicking on the picture itself. I thought the link above would be to the name itself, not to the image. Great collection, though!
LOL did the same thing Ricardo did at fisrt then i figured out to click the name at the top. and Dirtboy awesome gallry you've got there. very nice job you've done there.
Thanks for the kind words.

I would have liked it to work if you click on the pictures, but the program I worked with had limited functionality. My next collection will be done a little differently.
I like how you have such a variety of styles. It did take a moment to figure out how to look at the images. Thanks for sharing!
Great collection Dirt-Boy! smile
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Great collection Dirt-Boy! smile
A notable Legion artist seems to be conspicuously absent from his collection.
..and D.B., The Alison Sohn Light Lass is stunning.
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
[b]Great collection Dirt-Boy! smile
A notable Legion artist seems to be conspicuously absent from his collection. [/b]
First, thanks Barry!

I'd love to get a Legionnaire sketch from him. Now if only he would make his way to a Minnesota convention. There's one coming up in October! :)Now married with child, I'm unable to make the far-flung trips to conventions that I used to.

That being said, Barry did do a nice quick sketch of Catwoman for me in Chicago about 10-15 years ago.
So this is the closet I've gotten to a Legion sketch at a Con so far. Impulse ala Todd Nauck from when I was at Wizard World LA.

[Linked Image]

I wasn't gonan suggest it but I'd been talking to Todd earlier that day and he said " Lemme guess, Impulse ?" Who was I to say no?
Hi! I couldn't find a convention sketches thread so I've started one here!

Here's a picture of the Shadow Lass sketch I got from Greg Laroque at the Baltimore convention last year. He told me Dream Girl used to be the most popular request but now it's Shadow Lass. I didn't realise I was part of a trend.

I should have asked for Tellus!

http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/2009/05/shadow-lass-convention-sketch.html
Very nice, Kanga! I dig it.
lAROQUE!

He's so classic Legion.
sigh
His Shady is wonderful, thanks for sharing her.
smile
My co-Drura fan supreme HEALEX was thinking of me when he got Mr. Greg Larocque to do some LSH sketches for him recently.

I still need to get this fabulously framed:

[Linked Image]
the convention sketch thread was why I first came to the comm and when I looked for it last month it had been deleted. It came up in the search results but I clicked it and it couldn't be found
Previous convention thread can be found here.
there we go, thanks!
Oh, ah, since this is a convention thread, I have a question. I plan to go to Big Apple Con, and Joe Giella's going to be there. Do you pronounce his last name Gi, like Gi from Captain Planet, or Gi as in gee, as an gee whiz?
And we're back where we belong!
I bought some comics from Art balthasar's site last year and wrote a note about loving tiny titans which I was prompted to pick up because Supergirl appeared. (I had to go and get back issues) I said how I would love to see a lil legion and especially Brainiac 5 as he was my favourite. Being the lovely man he is he sent me three quick sketch cards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'll be scanning some stuff I hope to post on DA and comicvine that I got at Big Apple.

Saturn Girl by Jim Sherman

Abin Sur quickie by Kevin O'Neill

Joker's Daughter quickie by Jamal Igle

Aquagirl quickie by Jim Calafiore
Looking forward to them.
Here's Saturn Girl. Sorry if it's light, I paid for it to be done only in pencil.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Saturn-Girl-by-Jim-Sherman-125835269
Wow! Jim Sherman! Awesome!
Abin Sur by Kevin O'Neill.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Abin-Sur-by-Kevin-O-Neill-125849841
Duela Dent by Jamal Igle.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Duela-Dent-by-Jamal-Igle-125850229
Aquagirl by Jim Calafiore. Prepared to be surprised.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Aquagirl-by-Jim-Calafiore-125851995
Raven by Howard Chaykin: http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Raven-by-Howard-Chaykin-126652959

Timber Wolf by Billy Tucci: http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Timber-Wolf-by-Billy-Tucci-126652105

Annataz Arataz by Tom Derenick: http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Annataz-Arataz-by-Tom-Derenick-126651646

Aqua... woman? by Jimmy Palmiotti: http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Aquawoman-by-Jimmy-Palmiotti-126650999

Batwoman by Mike McKone: http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Batwoman-by-Mike-McKone-126650670

Bloodlust by Amanda Conner: http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Bloodlust-by-Amanda-Conner-126650148
You were busy, SK! Love that Bloodlust by Amanda Conner, even though I don't know the character.

Nice sketchcards from Art Balthasar, too, Para-dox. That Tiny Titans stuff just makes me smile - especially Streaky.
If you have Kingdom Come you can try and look for her, but as I mentioned on DA, she was minor. VERY minor.
I finally got around to scanning stuff from the last couple cons:
MEL\'s Legion art

Here's a sampling:
click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
Very cool. I think the Cosmic Boy one is my favourite, but it's hard to choose.

What are "Artist Sketch Cards"? I've been seeing them online a lot lately.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Legion Worlders, but:

1) I believe the first illustration is of Legion applicant Fruit Boy from the latest Shooter run.

2) Artist Sketch Cards are handy reference cards for pencilers and inkers and sometimes colorists for the specific characters they depict. These help artists keep the look of the character (attributes, costume, handgun calibur, etc.) consistent and true. For a new artist on a Legion story, I would expect it to be a necessity!
Yep, that's Fruit Boy, and thanks. smile
Hey, have you guys ever thought of having artists at conventions doing sketches of Legionnaires in "what if" situations?
I don't think I could afford what most artists would demand to draw my particular brand of "What If?" Ever. Also, I'm guessing they wouldn't want to sign their work, which would sort of undermine the whole point of getting the sketch.

[ahem] urk
Oh, and "icon_uk" at Daily Scans gave me permission to link to some Moy sketches in his/her possession.

Cosmic Boy in that costume. Those who whine about this will not get any ice cream. tongue

Other stuff here . (Cannot vouch for every last sketch being worksafe, so...)
That's my favourite Cosmic Boy costume!

I really like Moy's poster-stuff like this but I wasn't a big fan of his art on the Legion.

All the characters looked the same and his storytelling had a very clunky feel...
I think of it as his 'summer costume'. I'm always mildly amused by the complaints about this outfit. Why wouldn't 31st century ganders dress as provocatively as the geese? (Or is that reversed?)

Actually, I always thought this outfit, combined with certain slapping incidents and Night Girl's height (though not apparent under Grell's pencils) hinted at a little something about Rokk...
(snip)

...Why wouldn't 31st century ganders dress as provocatively as the geese?

Yeah, no kidding. There are about seven thousand modern-day females in the pop-culture 'verse already wearing less than Rokk does in the "future."

Eh, I think Night Girl herself is probably also pretty open-minded, given her, uh, affinity with Tasmia.

wink

It's unfortunate that her "owl" logo has been ruined by that stupid mass-purveyor of overpriced lousy beer and crappy buffalo wings. I've drawn Lydda in my sketchpad with a crescent moon logo replacing the owl, but I guess IRL that would set off the anti-Islam crowd. You just can't win, y'know?

shrug
Oh God, guys, the things I got at Big Apple Con today that I'll soon be posting.

Lobo by Mark McKenna

Emerald by Ebas

Sensor Girl by David Mack

Penguin by Jim Calafiore

Lightning Lad by Alvin Lee & Lightning Lad by Mike Lilly.
And here they are:

Sensor Girl by David Mack
* http://JudeDeluca.deviantart.com/art/Sensor-Girl-by-David-Mack-140613447

Emerald by Ebas
* http://JudeDeluca.deviantart.com/art/Emerald-by-ebas-140614056

Penguin by Jim Calafiore
* http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/The-Penguin-by-Jim-Calafiore-140614558

Lobo by Mark McKenna
* http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Lobo-by-Mark-Mckenna-140614901

Lightning Lad by Alvin Lee
* http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Lightning-Lad-by-Alvin-Lee-140615207

Lightning Lad by Mike Lilly
* http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Lightning-Lad-by-Mike-Lilly-140615547

Witchie-poo by Mike McKone
* http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Witchie-poo-by-Mike-McKone-140616107
Those are cool!

I've only been to one proper convention where I got a Greg Laroque Shadow Lass pencil drawing. It was full figure and very nice!

What's the etiquette? Do some artists only do head-and-shoulders?
No, those were quick sketches. They're free but half the time they're not that detailed.
Awww... smile

I just love grunge-Garth sketches. I don't even know why. I just do.
Mebbe it's the scowl.
I wonder if I could sew a Legion costume out of flannel. PlaidLad
Go for it.
Let's see... today I got:

*Coagula by Matthew Clark.

*Hypnotia by Billy Tucci.

*Joker by Chris Giarusso.

*SUN WOMAN by Sean Chen.

*ROND VIDAR by Bob Wiacek.
*Coagula by Matthew Clark.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Coagula-by-Matthew-Clark-155738182

*Hypnotia by Billy Tucci.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Hypnotia-by-Billy-Tucci-155739434

*Joker by Chris Giarusso.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Joker-by-Chris-Giarusso-155737596

*Sun Woman by Sean Chen

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Sun-Woman-by-Sean-Chen-155736280

*Rond Vidar by Bob Wiacek

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/art/Rond-Vidar-by-Bob-Wiacek-155736894
Sean Chen did a very cool Sun Woman there! Such simple lines.

Coagula, I've never heard of, but that is hands down an amazing picture. He made her look like she's metallic, just using pencils!
I'm really glad I managed to get both of them. Most of the artists I was hoping to see weren't there.
Proty
How did I know?
SDCC '10:

Jeff Moy's Gates sketch:

click to enlarge

Francis Manapaul's Phantom Girl:

click to enlarge
So cool! Thanks for sharing!
As a bonus: video of Francis doing the sketch. 3 1/2 minutes. Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTBBwQUlfLM
Amazing video, beautiful artwork!
That was friggin' amazing! Thanks for recording and posting that video!
So where's the Pig Iron sketch?
Originally posted by rouge:
SDCC '10:

Jeff Moy's Gates sketch:

click to enlarge

When I first saw this at the booth, I thought "Hey! A sketch of Outdoor Miner!"
Francis Manapul's Gazelle (Giselle):

[Linked Image]
Lovely! She looks even more alien there.
So where's the Pig Iron sketch?
I'll see if I can scan it later (along with the awesome Tiny Titans ones Art Baltazar did for my kids). He's a pic of me, Scott Shaw!, and the sketch:

click to enlarge
I posted this on the "Next Gathering" thread in the MMB before I knew of this thread ...

Conner & Krypto by Francis Manapul from Comic Con

[Linked Image]

sketched on the inside front cover of his portfolio book ... if he's at NY Comic Con in the fall, maybe I can get him to do Red Robin on the inside back cover ...
I don't know how I never posted this before (maybe I did and I can't find it at the moment), but here's Francis Manapul's Cosmic Boy from 2009 -

click to enlarge

And here's the one with Invisible Kid that Kabir bought for me this year -

click to enlarge
Man, Francis can really work an ink wash!!
Love it!!
Interesting. It's 3B Lyle but with the original HQ.
I could love an entire book drawn in that style. Growing up with a black and white TV, I can fill in the blanks in my mind, and sometimes black and white makes for some stronger line-work.
I agree with your b&w stronger line work comment Set.
I would love to see some black and white Cinar stuff (aside from the already seen new Legion's promo pics). Perhaps seeing what he could do with some Marvel characters? I bet he would draw one mean Spiderman.
How much do those Manapul sketches cost?
You buy the sketchbook and he sketches on the inside cover "free" (So really you get a book with the sketch). I think it was about $25.00. I had a few different sketches from different artists, but I think that was his price. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Hmm, that might be difficult for me, considering what kind of scanner I have.
I love the energy and spontinaety you get with sketches of any single color, especially with a wash!
Mind if I ask a couple of con-related questions as they pertain to the possibility of me getting some sketches.

1. How much does Amanda Conner charge for more in-depth sketches?

2. Is Georges Jeanty's first name pronounced "Whore-hey"?

3. What exactly is the Hero Initiative booth, and do you have to pay for any sketches you get from the artists there, or does it depend on the artist?
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:

3. What exactly is the Hero Initiative booth, and do you have to pay for any sketches you get from the artists there, or does it depend on the artist?
www.heroinitiative.org/

It can vary. A donation is often involved. Artists as popular as George Perez hold lotteries to see who will get a sketch, with the winners paying for one afterwards.
Oh yeah, I heard Perez does that. Thanx.
So... anyone get anything at Baltimore, or Wizard World Chicago?
Yes, but I think my Photobucket account died due to neglect.

But I can share something. These aren't mine, but I met this gentleman at the Baltimore show and he had these pieces with him and had others in progress. He said it was cool to link to them from here. So I am. Apologies if I'm not the first.

It's a very interesting project.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=98517
I check comicartfans site all the time for Legion pictures, that is one of my favorite Legion galleries, and here is another favorite, from a guy after my own heart, who seems to be a even bigger Karate Kid fan than I am.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=89206
Those are truly awesome black and whites LWL, you are right. My favorites are definately KK with Mr. Incredible and Popeye!

And speaking of big Karate Kid fans, well ... I let my avatar do the talking for me. smile
I remember when Seely posted the KK Vs Zealot pic on DA.
loved KK vs Elektra...but sure wish that the guy could have thought of Karate Kid vs Myg, the 2nd Karate Kid. (and even 3rd KK )
OM,
That was a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing it.
LWL, you too!
That Karate Kid vs... everyone(!) gallery was fantastic! What a great idea for a sketch collection!
Just saw your re-imagined Legion covers link too OM. Also awesome!
I only managed to get two sketches at Big Apple last night and they aren't even Legionnaires.

Little Barda by Louis Small Jr.

Larfleeze by Terry Huddleston
Here are some the con sketches I can show for now. First the ones from Big Apple Con.

Little Barda Jr.:
click to enlarge

Larfleeze by Terry Huddleston:
click to enlarge
Aquaman II by J. Calafiore:

click to enlarge
Lightning Lad by Todd Nauck:

click to enlarge

Gazelle by Francis Manapul:
click to enlarge

Demon Damsel by Mahmud Asrar:
click to enlarge

The New Teen Titan by Nicola Scott:

click to enlarge

Red Hood by Billy Tucci:
click to enlarge
Queen Nehellenia by Matthew Clark:

click to enlarge

Sumo Timber Wolf by Francis Manapul:
click to enlarge
Wow! You got some beautiful sketches!
Hey SK, you are truly lucky! Those are some great art pieces you've collected there. I especially like the Gazelle and Sumo T-Wolf by Francis Manapul. The man is a national treasure for us Canucks up here!!
Just wait. These are just some of the 46 sketches I got. And the first two are from Big Apple Con last week.
This was my birthday gift from Joe Prado. click to enlarge
Firestar by Jeremy Dale - Can you get the reference?
click to enlarge

American Vampire's Peal by Rafael Albuquerque
click to enlarge

Arsenal by Phillip Tan
click to enlarge

Jeannette by Nicola Scott - I had her add the word balloon.
click to enlarge

Lian Harper and Red Hood by Agnes Garbowska
click to enlarge

Batman by Andy Kubert
click to enlarge

Arsenal by Georges Jeanty
click to enlarge

Arsenal by Sunny Lee
click to enlarge
Dark Angel by Cat Staggs
click to enlarge

Kingdom Come Aquagirl by Karl Kerschl
click to enlarge

Menagerie (Kingdom Come Beast Boy) by Justiniano
click to enlarge

Darkstar by Terry Dodson
click to enlarge

Duela Dent by Mike McKone
click to enlarge

Prosthetic Lass by Sean "Cheeks" Galloway
click to enlarge

Ravager by Yildiray Cinar
click to enlarge

Enigma by Tony S. Daniel
click to enlarge
Ragdoll by Nicola Scott - This is actually my brother's, but we did suggest the word ballon.
click to enlarge

Livewires' Stem Cell by Mike DeBalfo
click to enlarge

Livewires' Cornfed by Reilly Brown
click to enlarge

Sailor Moon's FishEye by Jeremy Dale
click to enlarge
Okay... ACTUAL Legionnaires.

Lightning Lad by Sean Chen
click to enlarge

Mon-El by Bernard Chang (For Candle)
click to enlarge

Dawnstar by Amy Reeder
click to enlarge

Shadow Lass by Greg LaRocque
click to enlarge
They're all so amazing!
Thanks for sharing these, SK!
Love the LaRoque Shadow Lass. She looks so pointy and dangerous and mysterious!
They are great! Must have cost a small fortune.
They mostly cost somewhere between 6 and 800 dollars.
Catwoman by Scott Hanna
click to enlarge

Batman by Cameron Stewart
click to enlarge

The Stand's Mother Abigail by Mike Perkins
click to enlarge

Superwoman by Jamal Igle
click to enlarge

Joker by Dustin Nguyen
click to enlarge

Kingdom Come's Kabrini by Jamal Igle
click to enlarge

Leatherwing by Derek Fridolfs
click to enlarge

Gunnerkrigg Court's Mort by Tom Siddell
click to enlarge
Green Lantern by Joe Prado
click to enlarge

Revolutionary Girl Utena by Francis Manapul
click to enlarge
Geez!
These are really over the top.
Wonderful.
Exactly how many artists were at this NYCC? I bet it was quite the show.
Those sketches are all dope btw! Worth every penny in my book.
Here we've got Mandalla, one of the more obscure members of the Legion, who captured my heart. By Dave Fox.
click to enlarge

Here's cartoon Lightning Lad by sketch card artist Brian Kong.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

And here's one I was very eager for. Sumo Lightning Lad, part of my "Legion Alternity" collection, and kind of set in the same universe as the previous Timber Wolf piece. I corresponded with Ian Dorian on facebook on the specifics on it, using 3Boot Garth as the starting point.
Your art collection is staggering. Fun stuff! And thanks for putting the LSH-related ones of the FB page!
Here you can find all my sketches:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=43771
And here are the others, although they aren't all Legion related.

Karie by Sean Chen
click to enlarge

Bevis by Billy Tucci
click to enlarge
Black Orchid by Billy Tucci

click to enlarge

The Candlemaker by Ian Dorian
click to enlarge

Gnarrk by Rich Buckler
click to enlarge

Nightshade from JLA: Destiny by Steve Scott
click to enlarge

Green Lantern, Kyle, from JLA #9 by Larry Hama
click to enlarge

Eva Green by Guy Dorian
click to enlarge

Holly Wood by Guy Dorian
click to enlarge

Dexter and the robot parrot from Dexter's Laboratory by Scott Roberts
click to enlarge
These are fantastic!
I especially <3 Karie, Black Orchid and Dexter!
Bevis is amazing, too.

It certainly seems to help to live in the New York area.
Wow!
I wasn't expecting on going to MoCCA 2011, but my brother suggested it last night so we went together. I'm sorry I didn't tell anyone on here, it was spur of the moment, but if the person who got that Bouncing Boy sketch is a member on here, you'll know I was there.

First off, I managed to get two more Sumo Timber Wolf pieces added to my "Legion Alternity" collection. The first is by Tim Smith 3.
click to enlarge
I always intended to ask Tim to draw sumo Brin after seeing examples of his Street Fighter art. He makes Brin look bulky without being too muscular or too fat, and the flower petals are a nice touch.

The second was by Dirk I. Tiede.
click to enlarge
Dirk wrote and drew a manga-esque series involving werewolves called "Paradigm Shift", so at first I asked him to draw Reboot Brin, but caved to the idea of getting another sumo TW piece, and let him choose. Brin more resembles his New Earth counterpart, and Dirk drew him as simply large, or thick.

Here's Pulse by Tyler Chin-Tanner.
click to enlarge
He co-wrote a series called "American Terrorist", so I asked him to draw one of the Legionnaires from when they were on the run. I chose Ayla before she started getting younger.

Here's the Black Witch by Dana Guerrieri.
click to enlarge
You might not be able to tell Mysa's in "Black Witch mode", but she is, because that's what I specified to Miss Guerrieri. She would've inked it, but my brother and had to leave and we were waiting for her to finish pencilling it before we left.
My non-Legion pieces.

click to enlarge
For those of you who remember Rachel Pollack's run on Doom Patrol, here's one of the minor characters whom appeared. From #68, the Identity Addict as "All Tied Up", with the power to overwhelm enemies with appointments by Kate Beaton.
click to enlarge
Dorothy Spinner by Melissa Zayas. I passed by her table and though Miss Zayas had a nice, fairy tale-esque style, so I wanted her to draw Dorothy to make her "ugly cute", as some call it.
click to enlarge
Speed Freak, of the Love Syndicate of Dreamworld, by Jacob Chabot. Speed Freak was a female Flash who appeared in Animal Man #25, alongside a lot of other characters whom were wiped out by the first Crisis.
click to enlarge
Here's Lian as Speedy, as an alternate version of her appeared in Titans #25, the good, or slightly better first Titans series, before DC unhitched its pants and... I'll stop there. The adorable Lian is done by Jodi Tong.
click to enlarge
Young Dark Angel, a, well, younger version of the murderous Wonder Woman/Titans villain Dark Angel, whom also appeared in Titans #25. By Yali Lin.
click to enlarge
The Livewires' Gothic Lolita by Vanessa Satone. I gave her a choice of Loli, Cornfed, and Hollowpoint Ninja, and she chose Loli.
click to enlarge
ALL of the Livewires. Going clockwise, its Cornfed, Gothic Lolita, Stem Cell, Social Butterfly, and Hollowpoint Ninja, by Polly Guo. I didn't know Miss Guo was going to be there. My brother paid her to do a commission of Roy and Lian for my birthday, and we were both surprised to meet her. She did this for three dollars.
click to enlarge
Kathryn McAllister, the main character of Dirk's "Paradigm Shift" book, which he drew in my copy of volume one.
And finally, someone you all know and love, Mister Eryk Davis Ester by Chris Giarrusso. [img]http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/...vis%20Ester%20by%20Chris%20Giarrusso.bmp[/img]
had these two pieces done by the awesome Mr. Gene Gonzales
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
they freakin' rock!!
J'adore that Jazmin!
So, here's what I got at Boston yesterday, but without scans.

Sailor Moon by Bill Walko
Duela Dent by Bill Walko
Lian Harper by Tyler James
Cyberella by Howard Chaykin
Benton Tarentella from "Courage the Cowardly Dog" by Cliff Rathburn
Nightstar by Mike Lilly
Mall Hair Girl by Bobby Timony (YEAH, I GOT A SKETCH OF A CHARACTER THAT WAS ONLY A NAME!!!)
Cartoon Lightning Lad by Dave Johnson
Cornfed by Sean Galloway
The Gargoyle by Scott Cohn
Sailor Aluminum Seiren by Bill Dinh
Mr. Atom by Scott Wegener
Evil Swamp Thing from "Crisis on Two Earths" by Clay McCormack

Mall Hair Girl by Bobby Timony (YEAH, I GOT A SKETCH OF A CHARACTER THAT WAS ONLY A NAME!!!)
Love it!!
Here's Sailor Moon by Bill Walko, a pre-con commission I had Bill do. The basis for this was actually a failed American adaption that blended live action and animation together.
click to enlarge

When I went to pick up my Sailor Moon piece from Bill, I asked if he'd be willing to do a quick sketch of Duela, and he was more than happy to.
click to enlarge

Here's a free sketch card of Lian Tyler James did for me.
click to enlarge
Here's Howard Chaykin's Cyberella by, naturally, Howard Chaykin.
click to enlarge

From Courage the Cowardly Dog, zombie film producer Benton Tarantella by Cliff Rathburn.
click to enlarge

Titans villain the Gargoyle by Scott Cohn.
click to enlarge

And Kingdom Come Teen Titan Nightstar, the daughter of Dick Grayson and Starfire, by Mike Lilly.
click to enlarge
Sailor Moon villainess Sailor Aluminum Seiren, part of the Sailor Animamates of Shadow Galactica, by Bill Dinh.
click to enlarge

Gender-reversed Arsenal Scarlet Harper, created by Viola Tanganelli and drawn by Ming Doyle.
click to enlarge

Evil Swamp Thing from Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths by Clay McCormack.
click to enlarge

Duela Dent by the infamous J. Scott Campbell.
click to enlarge
Two pics of Cornfed of the Livewires. The first by Sean "Cheeks" Galloway...
click to enlarge

And the second by T.J. Kirsch.
click to enlarge

Here's Hollowpoint Ninja by Oliver Nome.
click to enlarge

And Captain Marvel villain Mr. Atom by Scott Wegener.
click to enlarge
Quiver, an evil version of Arsenal based on a micro hero, by Declan Shalvey.

click to enlarge

Legion Academy member Comet Queen by Thom Zahler.
click to enlarge

Red Hood, Lian Harper of the Kingdom Come world, by Matt Wagner.

click to enlarge

Poison Ivy by Tyler James.
click to enlarge
Inferno from the false 1950s the Legionnaires were put in in "Legion of Super-Heroes" #92 by E.J. Barnes.

click to enlarge

Vi as Colossal Girl from the false 1940s the Legionnaires were put in in "Legionnaires" #54 by Olivia Dinnall.
click to enlarge

Catspaw by Darwyn Cooke.
click to enlarge

The Teen Titanimals by Tricia Arnold.

click to enlarge
Shrinking Violet by Celine Chapus.
click to enlarge

From the previous Supergirl, Linda's predecessor as Earth-Angel of Fire, Rachel Pratchet and Ember by Tina Tran.
click to enlarge

The Silver Slasher by Mark McKenna.
click to enlarge

Black Lantern Kole by Nick Mockoviak.
click to enlarge
From the preview in Superboy #1, one of the unnamed Titans whom should be appearing, "Elongated Girl" by Holly Foltz.
click to enlarge

Sumo Arsenal by Andrew Dobson.
click to enlarge

And Garth (Aqualad/Tempest) as Aquaman from Earth-15 by Joe Dellagatta.
click to enlarge
My four favorite sketches from Boston.

Here's Lightning Lad, from the cartoon, by Dave Johnson.
click to enlarge

Nancy Thompson from "A Nightmare on Elm Street" by Tony Harris.
click to enlarge

Here's Mall Hair Girl by Bobby Timony. I imagined her as a valley girl who accidentally used a can of radioactive hair spray, and she can make it do anything. Based on my design Bob drew her in all this glory.
click to enlarge

And here's our very own Candle by Stephanie Buscema!
click to enlarge
Awwww!
Love me.
lol

And Nightstar, Poison Ivy, Lightning Lad and the sketch card of Lian are amazing.
They're all wonderful.
Thanks for showing these.
They make me feel rich, for some reason!
J'adore that Candle!!
Reminds me of Judy Jetson, only older.
nod
My birthday gift is finally done! White Lantern Lightning Lad by Joe Prado!

[Linked Image]
Beautiful!
Have you ever thought of sending it for coloring to a colorist and then, to an inker to get it 'finished'?
I don't know if it's possible, but this one is certainly worthy of being a completed work.
smile
I don't think a colorist would work on a piece inked like that.
Is your original inked?
I thought it was mostly pencil.

They might be able to with an acytate (I can't spell today) overlay and specialized inks, maybe.
It's inked. Maybe my colorist friend could do something. I don't know, I'll ask.

Today was Free Comic Book Day and my collection grows more and more with these two editions.

By veteran Legion artist Joe Staton, not a Legion character, but the Batman from the Elseworlds story "Citizen Wayne" from Legends of the Dark Knight Annual #4, which Joe illustrated.

click to enlarge

But I did get a Legion sketch. A quick one of Lightning Lad by Scott Wegener. He had to do it standing up.
click to enlarge
I got seven sketches today at Hawthorne High School Comic Con.

The first of which is Celeste Rockfish by Bob Wiacek, my second 31st Century GL piece by him.

click to enlarge

The second is another alternate version of Dark Angel, a bat-like, demonic version that tried to kill Donna Troy when she was still with the Titans of Myth.
click to enlarge

Here's the first "Emerald Legion" piece I've added to my collection. I ran into Joe Staton again today, and I had him draw Ultra Boy when he received his "emerald makeover".
click to enlarge

I originally had Tom Schloendorn draw a version of The Ray, but it wasn't coming out properly, so instead, I had him draw werewolf Ultra Boy from one the pinups in Legion of Super-Heroes #100.
click to enlarge

Waiting for Tom to finish that, and Evan Dorkin to finish something else, I got another piece by James Sherman. A member of the Team Titans, Redwing.
click to enlarge

And finally, Evan Dorkin finished, and this piece has changed my perspective on him. I had him do the Unknown Legionnaire, and I was expecting just a quick head sketch. Instead, I got this.
click to enlarge

My last piece came from Walt Simonson. I had him draw the evil version of Hawkman from Crisis on Two Earths, Manhawk.
click to enlarge
Wonderful.
James Sherman did a lovely drawing.
nod
Nice haul, SK. Love the Sherman and Simonson sketches. Wiacek's Celeste is nice too.
Time for more sketches!

The first is a sketch I've been trying to get from Cliff Chiang since forever. Devil Hunter Yohko.
click to enlarge

One of my favorite supporting characters, Tiffany Cross by Brian Wood.
click to enlarge

From Untold Tales of Blackest Night, Sinestro Corpswoman Dawwl by Dave Fox.
click to enlarge

Yet another member of the League of Super-Teens by Bobby Timony, Itty Bitty Girl.
click to enlarge

A brand new edition to my Legion Alternity collection, Sumo Sun Boy by Declan Shalvey.
click to enlarge

Nate Grey, the X-Man of the Age of Apocalypse, by Dennis Calero.
click to enlarge

Right out of Flashpoint, villainess Yo-Yo by Chris Giarrusso.
click to enlarge

Accompanied by a quick head sketch of Element Woman.
click to enlarge
From one of my favorite stories, Cryssia, one of the Supergirls from the Legends of the Dead Earth annual by Mike Lilly.

click to enlarge

Saki Asamiya from "Sukeban Deka" by Tim Smith 3.
click to enlarge

Soldier of Revolution, Sailor Pluto by Chris Batista.
click to enlarge

Thunder! Thunder! THUNDER! By Damion Scott.
click to enlarge

Tesla Strong of "America's Best Comics" by Khary Randolph.
click to enlarge

Green Lantern Cary Wren by Bob Wiacek.
click to enlarge

Threeboot Garth by Tim Smith 3.
click to enlarge

From Countdown to Adventure, the Barbara Gordon of Earth-33, The Oracle, by Timothy Lantz.
click to enlarge
The last three of today, here's Color Kid by Toby Cypress.
click to enlarge

And another sumo-sized Garth by Edwin Huang.
click to enlarge

Finally, from Dan Jurgens' Teen Titans, here's Sweet 16 by Greg Horn.
click to enlarge
I think your sumo stuff is so funny.
It looks like Declan enjoyed doing Dirk that way!
smile
When are you going to have sumo gals?
Monstress might count.

I like the Thunder and Supergirl drawings a lot, too.
And yet there is more.

Here's Duela Dent by Rebekah Isaacs.
click to enlarge

Hissy the Super-Snake by Jacob Chabot.
click to enlarge

Cyborg Dark Angel by Matthew Petz.
click to enlarge

Red Hood by Zanny Lane.
click to enlarge

Atom Eve by Ryan Ottley.
click to enlarge

A rotting zombie head by Nelson DeCastro.
click to enlarge

And from Sonic the Hedgehog, here's Chaos Zero by Jamal Peppers.
click to enlarge
You are SOOOO greedy!
nod
But, at least you share your treats.
One last signing to go on Wednesday and that's it. What does everyone else think of my collection?
Two more, and this time they're both video game characters.

Gruntilda from Banjo-Kazooie by Reilly Brown.

click to enlarge

And Twinrova from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time by Khary Randolph.
click to enlarge
I should be picking these two sketch cards (in color) at Wizard World Philadelphia this Friday from Brendon and Brian Fraim.

The first, based on Drake's fan art, is Ninja Lightning Lad.

[Linked Image]

The second, based on Candle's micro hero, is Sumo Lightning Lad.

[Linked Image]
Here are the sketches I got from Philadelphia. But I'm still waiting on a sketchbook from Ethan Van Sciver.

Here are the two sketch cards from the Fraims.

Ninja Lightning Lad:

click to enlarge

Sumo Lightning Lad:

click to enlarge
I'm man enough to admit I'm a fan of the Golden Girls, and knowing Deadpool's obsession with Bea Arthur, I had Reilly Brown draw him with them.

click to enlarge

When it was announced Gail Simone was coming back to the Birds of Prey, two fans did a short comic of Gail meeting the Secret Six trying to pass themselves off as the Birds. Here's Ragdoll as Black Canary by Franco Aureliani.

click to enlarge

Here's Jennifer Morgan as she appeared in the Conjurers miniseries, by Bill Dinh.

click to enlarge

Prysm and Fringe by Tina Tran. I made her rush.

click to enlarge

Duela Dent as Card Queen by Charles Paul Wilson III.

click to enlarge

Here's Policy Pam by Jamie Fay.

click to enlarge
Here's Universo, the next 31st Century GL by Bob Wiacek. It's so light because he did it on a comic board.

click to enlarge

And here's Xera of Manna-5 by Sunny Lee.

click to enlarge

Here's Supergirl by Mike Lilly. That is, Matrix/Linda during the Earth-Angel period.
click to enlarge

Here's Tula as she appeared in Young Justice by Koi Turnbull.
click to enlarge

And here's Sailor Jupiter by one of my regulars, Ian Dorian.

click to enlarge

And my brand new addition to "Legion Alternity", Ninja Saturn Girl by Tim Smith 3.

click to enlarge
And two I'm very happy with.

I got Nei Ruffino to do a head sketch of my original character, Ebony Dent.

click to enlarge

And here's Lightning Lad and Arsenal by Phil Jimenez.

click to enlarge
[Linked Image]

To accompany the Arsenal multiverse piece Viola did, I had her do one of Lightning Lad, with alternate versions of himself, his wife Saturn Girl, and their kids Graym and Garridan.

Basically, Garth took the kids on a tour of the HQ, they wandered off, and when he found them, they were in a room with a time bubble and alternate versions of himself. Now he's trying to explain to Imra just what happened.

From left to right we have...

*Golden Age Lightning Lad: From Legionnaires #54, when some of the Legionnaires were put in a false 1940S.
*Cartoon Lightning Lad: From the second season. Graym and Garridan are asking their mom if they can keep him.
*Lightning Boy: Likewise, with Roy as Robin, here's a Garth that served a Superboy-esque role. This is before the whole "cloning blues" thing.
*Lightning Lad: The version from Action Comics, the main version.
*Surfer Lightning Lad: With the sunglasses inbetween regular Garth and Imra.
*Sumo Lightning Lad: Based off of the Ian Dorian piece. Just seemed fitting since there was a sumo version of Roy in the other piece.
*Emerald Livewire: From the Legion story that had Shrinking Violet using the Emerald Eye to control the Legion.
*Adventurer Garth: An idea I had for a version of Garth as an Indiana Jones-esque adventurer in the 1940s. His sister is a "good girl" secret agent. They're the Lightning Twins.
*Lightning Lass: Not Ayla, but Gender-Reversed Garth.
*Smallville Lightning Lad: From the TV show. He was a little bit of a fanboy in the show, so meeting versions of himself made him go "squee".
What a fun piece.! Who is Viola, SK? I'm not familiar with her work.
Viola Tanganelli. Check the thread in Bits about Lian Harper and you'll see more of her art.

http://levyrasputin.deviantart.com/

She did this piece first.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=728139&GSub=90046
She also did this as an unexpected bonus.

[Linked Image]
These are both fun and wonderful!
I love her work and your imagination!
nod
Hey guys... has anyone else gotten any con sketches recently? It just, it feels like I'm the only one who posts sketches on here anymore.
I only go to one con and only go for a few sketches as I usually don't have a lot of free time while I'm there. Thanks for sharing, though! I enjoy them.
I'm thinking about bringing a sketch book this time SK.
Just thought I'd ask.

Beyond getting my own, I love seeing what other people ask for because I learn about new artists.
I realize it's been a while since I posted any new sketches in here. So, here are the ones I got at the Midtown Comics "Not at Comic Con" Party and ComiConn.

The first four are from Midtown. I've decided I'd like to start a theme with Larry Hama, considering his work on G.I. Joe, to get sketches of the United Planets Military Cadets from the FYL continuity. To start off, here's Chuck Taine.

click to enlarge

The next is my third from Evan Dorkin. Straight from his smash debut in Tiny Titans #42, here's Duckzarro!

click to enlarge

Here's a sketch from the lovely Rebekah Isaacs. Rocket from the Milestone series "Icon", my favorite Milestone character and one of my favorite teen superheroes.

click to enlarge

This next, and last one, is actually a gift that was meant for Bill Walko. Since he couldn't be at San Diego, or Midtown, I got Amy Reeder to do a headsketch of former Titan Flamebird, who should soon be appearing in "Batwoman", which Miss Reeder will be working on.

click to enlarge

Appropriately, these next two pieces are from Bill, which I received at ComiConn last week. Bill's a fan of the "Jem" cartoon series, and so am I. He did redesigns of the Holograms (Jem's band in case you didn't know) and is planning on doing redesigns of the Misfits and the Stingers. I asked Bill to do a sketch of Stormer from the Misfits. And, he threw in Kimber, Jem's younger sister, for no extra charge, as a nod to the episode where the two briefly became a duo.

click to enlarge

Along with the above piece, I asked Bill to do a quick head sketch of Joseph Michael Linsner's Dawn, because I thought it would be a fun contrast between the lovely, adult Dawn, and Bill's all-ages style.

click to enlarge
Continuing from ComiConn, here's Chameleon Girl by Stefanie Battalene.

click to enlarge

And, from the Khund Legionnaires, here's Veilmist by Shawnti Therrien.

click to enlarge

Liz Ortiz was sharing a table with Shawnti. Now, funny story, Liz shares the shame name with a voice actress who worked on the dub of one of my favorite animes, Revolutionary Girl Utena. So, I brought one of the DVDs along to get autograph. Boy was my face red. But Liz was nice enough to do this card for me of an alternate version of Dark Angel.

click to enlarge

Here's Nightwing One Million, one of the future heroes from DC One Million. He was part of Justice Legion B, which was made up of future versions of the Fab Five and led by Resurrection Man. This is by Cesar Feliciano.

click to enlarge

Here's Molecule, one of the short-lived One Year Later Teen Titans, by Tyler James.

click to enlarge

One of my favorite things about Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade was Belinda Zee, Supergirl's evil twin. So deliciously smug and full of herself, here she is immortalized by Mike DeCarlo.

click to enlarge

And here's a quick head sketch of Batman by Mark McKenna.

click to enlarge
That's the first Veilmist that I haven't hated on sight! tongue
I accomplished something good for me!
[Linked Image]

Ultra Boy by Chris Batista

[Linked Image]

Power Boy and Gravity Kid by Phil Jimenez
You were at NYCC?
Nice, thanks for sharing, guys!

SK, love your expansive collection. Especially the Legion of Garths one.

Love how Phil has the boys grinning - like they're preparing to unleash a beatdown on some bad guys, or maybe preparing to do something really naughty wink
I got 64 sketches for myself at NYCC this weekend. That's 16 more than last year. 68 counting the sketches I got for a friend.

I'm too tired to post them here, so here's a link to my CAF gallery for now.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryNew.asp?GCat=43771
I got 64 sketches for myself at NYCC this weekend. That's 16 more than last year. 68 counting the sketches I got for a friend.

I'm too tired to post them here, so here's a link to my CAF gallery for now.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryNew.asp?GCat=43771
That IK2 one by Levitz is awesome!
I originally wanted Paul to write "Going commando!" but he objected.

I do like that he changed it to Jacques though.
Time for my NYCC sketches. Honestly, I got 68 sketches at this convention, 20 more than last year. But four of them are for a friend. Still, 64, not bad. Because there are so many, I'll do nine tonight. Four Arsenal-related ones, and my Legion Alternity pieces.

Here's Arsenal in his Outsiders outfit with Lian and her baby brother, Thomas Blake Jr., in Catman footy pajamas. By Sarah Oleksyk.

click to enlarge

Here's Arsenal by Cat Staggs.

click to enlarge

Here's one of the alternate Arsenals seen in Outsiders #33, a Punisher-esque one, by Tom Raney.

click to enlarge

Here's another alternate Lian Harper from Titans #25, who dressed like Troia whom I refer to as Wonder Tot, by Jodi Tong.

click to enlarge

Following my White Lantern piece, Joe Prado did Lightning Lad as a Black Lantern.

click to enlarge

Bobby Timony added a new addition to the League of Super-Teens, Seltzer Lad.

click to enlarge

Another set of micro heroes I found on Superbuddies.net were called the Youth of Tomorrow. Various magic-based styled Legionnaires. Here's their Matter-Eater Lad, Munch, by Mike Lilly's young son Robert.

click to enlarge

And Jeremy Dale added the first samurai to my Legion Shogun, Cosmic Boy.

click to enlarge
And, here's a birthday gift I commissioned Jeremy Dale to do for Viola Tanganelli. Roy, Lian, and Sooraya Qadir in Viola's Earth-618 continuity.

[Linked Image]
So first I'm going to show off all the actual Legion sketches.

Sketch Lad by Art Baltazar.

click to enlarge

Li'l Rhino by Franco Aureliani.

(Don't know why but the image won't show up)

The Weirdo Legionnaire by Chris Giarrusso.

click to enlarge

Superman's sons from an imaginary tale, Jor-El II and Kal-El II.

click to enlarge

Linda Danvers with her daughter by Superman, Ariella Kent, and Fallen Angel by J.K. Woodward.

click to enlarge

Superman's grandson, Knightwing, from "Superman & Batman: Generations" by Eddy Barrows.

click to enlarge

Kid Marvel by Jerry Ordway.

click to enlarge

Gates monster-movie style by Ian Dorian.

click to enlarge
Calorie Queen by Mike McKone.

click to enlarge

Future Girl from the League of Infinity by Amy Reeder.

click to enlarge

Ultra Boy as "Joe Knotts" by Joe Staton.

click to enlarge

Eyeful Ethel by Jeff Lemire.

click to enlarge

Shikari by Andy Lanning.

click to enlarge

Night Girl by Amy Reeder.

click to enlarge

Invisible Kid by Paul Levitz.

click to enlarge

Matter-Eater Lad by Chris Batista.

click to enlarge
The red-headed applicant of the Fabulous Fortes by Francis Portela. Sorry the quality sucks.

click to enlarge

Superboy in his Legion workout uniform by Tim Smith 3.

click to enlarge

Living Lightning Lass of the Legion of Galactic Guardians 2099.

click to enlarge

Catspaw by Bernard Chang.

click to enlarge

Golden Age Element Lad by Scott Hanna.

click to enlarge
re: Paul Levitz' Invisible Kid sketch:

rotflmao

It's nice that despite dealing with Legion fans for all these years, he still has his sense of humor.
The Tom Raney Arsenal 'sketch' is incredible, with the shading and the detail.
An Andy Lanning Shikari!
sigh
Originally posted by SharkLad:

[Linked Image]

Power Boy and Gravity Kid by Phil Jimenez
Fuh-Fuh-FABOO!!
My sketches from Wild Pig Comic Con.

Amalgam's Timberwolf-By-Night (Brin + Werewolf by Night) by Neil Vokes.

click to enlarge

Neil also did Hazmat (one of the Reboot Legion cadets with no name)

click to enlarge

Mark McKenna did a headsketch of "Sister Lobo" from the LEGION Elseworlds annual.

click to enlarge

Nick Mockoviak did the demonic version of Tenzil from LoSH #105.

click to enlarge

Ian Glaubinger did Rainbow Girl.

click to enlarge

And J.K. Woodward did these three Supergirls. Matrix, Ariella Kent, and Linda Danvers.

click to enlarge
And this was a commission I had Levy do for the Bring Back Lian Harper Movement.

click to enlarge

Oh, and a little guide to who's who... from left to right...

*Li Harper: Gender-reversed Lian, son of Levy's G-R version of Roy, Scarlet Harper.
*Lian and Earth-618 Lian: The regular continuity Lian on the shoulders of Earth-618 Lian. The commission takes place on Levy's Earth-618 fanon, but I wanted the focus to be New Earth Lian.
*DC Empire Lian: Marveling at electricity, just like her dad in the first Multiverse commission I had Levy do.
*Speedy Lian: From Titans #25.
*Red Hood: From Kingdom Come.
*Baby Lian: Being held by Red Hood, in a little pair of penguin footy PJs. Also from Titans #25.
*Evil Lian: Trapped in the stockings through the efforts of Speedy and Robin.
*Robin Lian: From a world where Roy was Bruce's sidekick. Would she be like Jason, Tim, Steph, Damian, or Carrie?
*Arsenal Lian: From the Reverse JLA world, where the Fab Five were the JLA, and their sidekicks are Batboy, Aquaboy, Kid Flash, Speedy, and Wonder Girl. This Lian was Red Arrow's first Speedy, conceived in a relationship similar to Green Arrow's son by Shado. She took on the Arsenal name after going to college to study to be a doctor while Ollie is the new Speedy.

Flying near the tree...

*DC Hogwarts Lian: From one of Levy's fanons.
*Wonder Tot: From Titans #25."
I really enjoy the spirit and detail and movement of her work.
This one is very fun.

I like the Supergirl 3 drawing, as well!
nod
Now, to play catch-up.

This was a commission I had my brother do in November. How many of you have watched Jem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSPb56-_I98

My brother Chris, who gained a modicum of internet fame through his "Minimalist Batgirls" and "Minimalist Robins" artwork, did a set of five minimalist head shots of Jem's rivals, The Misfits.

click to enlarge

Here they are separatley. Pizzazz:
click to enlarge

Roxy:
click to enlarge

Stormer:
click to enlarge

Jetta:
click to enlarge

And their hanger on biggest fan, Clash:
click to enlarge

Their songs were better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pujhOtG4fQ
These next two sketches I got at a signing for the new Ray series at Jim Hanley's Universe.

Here's a sketch by Jamal Igle. The subject is Pristine, one of the brainwashed teen heroes from the Terror Titans miniseries. Her TK powers manifested in the form of a large blue eye. She invoked the image of the Emerald Empress, and her powers are similar to Cera Kesh in a sense.

click to enlarge

And from Rich Perrotta, well, since I wasn't familiar with his art style, I thought I'd play it safe and asked for a sketch of the new Ray, Lucien Gates.

click to enlarge

Andrew Willmore, a.k.a. Studio Bueno of DeviantArt, was willing to mail out Christmas cards featuring the artwork seen below. After I received mine, I asked Andrew if I could post it on CAF. This image, of a gator Santa Claus, is a nod to a previous, Halloween picture of the same alligator dressed as a cowboy while trick-or-treating.

click to enlarge

Speaking of DeviantArt, Xiaoniao was taking requests for female characters done in a Teen Titans animated style. I asked for Duela Dent.

click to enlarge
These sketches I got at the Big City Dare 2 Draw event.

This first sketch is from Ian Dorian, one of my regulars. This is a headshot of Vesper, a relatively unknown character who was the star of a four issue miniseries, and later an ongoing that ended after two issues, published by Acetylene Comics in the 90s. Vesper's sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. My dad had given me the first issue of the first mini with some comics he bought in a flea market.

click to enlarge

From Dave Fox, I have one of the Bloodlines characters, Razorsharp. I've been trying to get Rae from Dave for a year but I haven't been able to get hands on reference material. Well, whenever my printer's been refilled and I've been printing reference images, it was never for conventions Dave was at.

click to enlarge

Before the above picture, Dave did this for me. This is Crystal, one of the lesser known members of the Team Titans.

click to enlarge

Speaking of Titans, I've also been holding out hope of getting a sketch card of Prysm, from Dan Jurgens' TT book, from Brian Kong. With this sketch, I've decided to make sure Prysm is a different color with every future sketch.

click to enlarge

And now, the Legion sketches. This first one is by Jamal Igle. A brand new, original addition to my Legion Alternity collection, this is Composite Supergirl. One half Kara, one half Stephanie Brown.

click to enlarge

Following that, Jamal did a quick head sketch of Supergirl impersonator Lesla Lar.

click to enlarge

This sketch wasn't done at the show. I was hoping to see Guy Dorian there but he got held up, so I gave the sketchbook and the money for this to Guy's brother, Ian. Here's another Sumo Lightning Lad sketch. I've been wanting to get this after Ian did the original piece last year, and I got curious as to how Guy would've drawn Garth. I'd say he's managed to perfectly get the in-between of "muscular" and "fat".

click to enlarge
Here's my sketches from London Super Comic-con. Left to right they're 21CL-Spark, 21CL-Trinity (Triad), postboot Umbra and Academy X Wind Dancer.

The Wind Dancer one I only saw today [by e-mail - I still don't have the actual sketch in-hand] and I'm not happy with it (the version here is actually edited in various ways to take the edges off stuff like the pose - which I don't think suits the character - or the choice of paper colour that I just plain don't like).

The other sketches I like a lot more (even if the right arm in the Trinity sketch is a bit awkward!).

Attached picture SparkLSCC.png
Attached picture TrinityLSCC.png
Attached picture UmbraLSCC.png
Attached picture WinddancerLSCC.jpg
Who're the artists?
Spark was done by Miguel Jorge * (who also threw in a Jessica Drew Spider-Woman print, that's nice enough but of the "wrong" Spider-Woman for me), the Trinity was by Nich Angell *, Dave Stokes did the Umbra (which was pre-done, he had a whole book of LSH sketches. The only postboot ones he had were Umbra, Gates and Thunder though - most were preboot or retroboot - and his Gates was odd , with arms/shoulders far too big, so I got the Umbra. You can see most of them here , where he has Umbra mislabelled as "Shadow Lass"!), and the Wind Dancer I didn't like was by Lee Bradley .

*Also, points to both of these guys for drawing from micros. smile
Wind Dancer is an X-Man?
I love that name.
What is her power set, besides flying?

I like the Umbra.
I talked with an artist at my comic shop about Tasmia.
He looked her up on line.
I wanted an Umbra drawing.
He drew the Cockrum/Grell version and labeled her Umbra.
:rolleyes:
Wind Dancer WAS with the X-Men. She was a member of the New Mutants Training Squad back when the school had near hundreds of students. She had wind manipulating abilities, but she lost those along with most of the other students who were depowered by the Scarlet Witch.

She later joined a defunct version of the New Warriors made up of ex-mutants. She called herself Renascence.
Your google-fu is strong, young kid smile
Meh.

I've seen Dave's artwork on DA. He does great Legion pieces.
Superman by the amazing and ever so friendly George Perez (at the NYCBM)

[Linked Image]
Here are two sketches I got at two different art events, and the ones I got at the Comic Book Marketplace.

From the Dare 2 Draw Wednesday, Kyle Baker did Letitia Lerner, Superman's Babysitter, from the Elseworlds 80-Page Giant.
click to enlarge

Cafu did a headsketch of Gazelle for me at a Midtown Comics signing Thursday.
click to enlarge

At the marketplace, Mike Lilly's son Robert did another Youth of Tomorrow sketch card for me. He chose Black Genie, a version of Wildfire.
click to enlarge

Jerome Walford did a Sumo Sun Boy for me.
click to enlarge

Amy Reeder did a quick headsketch of Madame Xanadu.
click to enlarge

Sean Chen did a headsketch of Hourman for me.
click to enlarge

Guy Dorian did a sketch of Mary Mayhem, the evil Mary Marvel from "Crisis on Two Earths".
click to enlarge

Guy's brother Ian did a Lamprey headsketch for me.
click to enlarge
Jim Calafiore did a quick Penguin headsketch.
click to enlarge

Irwin Hasen provided me with Li'l Atom from the "Golden Age Teen Titans" pin-up in the Elseworlds 80-Page Giant.
click to enlarge

Mike Lilly did Red Robin from Kingdom Come for me.
click to enlarge

Dave Fox did Judge and Jury of the Team Titans. Judge, in the center, is surrounded by Lynch, Monsieur Poniard, Hellebore, Volt, and Silent Vapor.
click to enlarge

George Perez did Lian Harper for me.
click to enlarge

And Billy Tucci did Sailor Galaxia from Sailor Moon for me.
click to enlarge
Wow!
My word! That's some haul!!

I love that you got a sketch from Irwin Hansen!! He's a legend!!
The Gazelle is probably exactly the way Shooter wanted her to be, no real alienness there, I'm afraid.
On the other hand, she's beautiful.
nod
George Perez did Lian Harper for me.
click to enlarge
Sweet, Sarky. Knowing how much you like that character, to have a Perez sketch of her must make it one of the jewels of your collection.
Thanks. I think so. smile
At first glance,I thought the Kingdom Come Red Robin was Mon-El. It wouldn't take much photoshop to make it so.
Originally posted by KryptonKid:
At first glance,I thought the Kingdom Come Red Robin was Mon-El. It wouldn't take much photoshop to make it so.
...that better be a hypothetical. Watching you.
Now it's time for my Boston Comic Con haul. First, White Lantern and Black Lantern Live Wire by Joe Prado.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Theena by Khary Randolph.
click to enlarge

XTC, Brainiac's Daughter from Kingdom Come by Jamal Igle.
click to enlarge

Chemical King by Tyler James.
click to enlarge

Troia by Juli Mayers.
click to enlarge

The Whiz, Freddy Freeman and Mary Batson's son from Kingdom Come, by Bill Walko.
click to enlarge

Danny West, Wally's son from Flash Annual #4 by Mark McKenna.
click to enlarge
Sofia Falcone by Tim Sale.
click to enlarge

Phantasm by Mike Lilly.
click to enlarge

Moonchild by Joe Prado.
click to enlarge

Infectious Lass by Holly Foltz.
click to enlarge

Starburst Kid, one of the unnamed Legion applicants, by E.J. Barnes.
click to enlarge

White Witch and Blok by Katie Cook.
click to enlarge

White Witch and Dawnstar by Katie Cook.
click to enlarge

Force One of the Team Titans by Jamal Igle.
click to enlarge
Monstress by Sara Richard.
click to enlarge

Sizzle by Joe Haley.
click to enlarge

Argent by Billy Tucci.
click to enlarge

Rima the Jungle Girl by Becky Cloonan.
click to enlarge

Donna Troy's stepdaughter Jennifer Long as Wonder Girl by Jill Thompson.
click to enlarge

Tommy Blake Jr. by E.J. Barnes.
click to enlarge

Priss from Bubblegum Crisis by Ashley Riot.
click to enlarge

Sega Genesis's Ristar by Agnes Garbowska.
click to enlarge
Lady Luck by Billy Tucci.
click to enlarge

Joe Dellagatta's Diver character out of his equipment.
click to enlarge

Lin-Z from Jem by Bill Walko.
click to enlarge

Sailor Neptune by Ivan Reis.
click to enlarge

Black Lady from Sailor Moon by Ming Doyle.
click to enlarge

Giant Mask Lemure from Sailor Moon by Tyler James.
click to enlarge

Wonder Woman by Cliff Chiang.
click to enlarge
From MoCCA Fest 2012

Parallel Sailor Moon by Jacob Chabot.
click to enlarge

The Rainbow Beast from Batman & Detective Comics by Holly Foltz.
click to enlarge

Mirage and Julienne Delgado by Anna-Maria Jung.
click to enlarge

Baby Lian Harper by Jodi Tong.
click to enlarge

Kole (?) from Team Titans by Melissa Zayas.
click to enlarge

Kyle Rayner from "Superman & Batman: Generations II" by Chris Giarrusso.
click to enlarge

Matrix after she merged with Twilight by Hyeondo Park.
click to enlarge
MoCCA Continued.

"Duck Call Lass" from Legionnaires #43 by E.J. Barnes.
click to enlarge

Computo by Tim Smith 3.
click to enlarge

The Little Legion (Ivy, Garridan, Lynk, Scales, and Spunge) by Holly Foltz.
click to enlarge

Queen Projectra by Amanda Gomes.
click to enlarge

Kinetix by Vanessa Satone.
click to enlarge

Countess Charlotte "Lottie" Taine. A.K.A. Gender-reversed, vampire Bouncing Boy. By Yali Lin. Based off of artwork by You've Got Taste.
click to enlarge
FCBD 2012 sketches.

Arsenal by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.
click to enlarge

Negasonic Teenage Warhead by Reilly Brown.
click to enlarge

Trance by Amy Reeder.
click to enlarge
Jesse Quick by E.J. Morges. Ed did this for me at the signing at Squiggy's Dugout yesterday.
click to enlarge

Three sketches and a preliminary sketch from Viola Tanganelli.

Guardian Cosmos, a minor character from the end of the Sailor Moon manga.
click to enlarge

Giselle "Danse" Dvorak from Jem.
click to enlarge

Arsenal and Lightning Lad as a couple of big beautiful men and ribbing each other about it. (I like BBM art)
click to enlarge

A preliminary piece Vi did to see if she got Roy's size right or I wanted him bigger. He's peeved because Lian switched his shaving cream with whipped cream.
click to enlarge
Damnit! Here too! Ugh. Sorry guys. I'm gonna start relying more on photobucket and DA when I post stuff here. Anyway...

This is a digital commission from Paura Marrero on DA. After the previous Roy & LL piece from Viola Tanganelli, I got in a short discussion with another DA member named Xiaoniao. She suggested that Donna was responsible for Roy's weight gain because of he can't get enough of her cooking. With her permission to use the idea I commissioned Paura to draw it because she's done Roy and Donna pieces for Xiao before.

click to enlarge
So I just finished this piece based on Joe Quesada's Marvel NOW promo shot. Trying to get my foot in the door for doing Legion Commissions (well any art commissions but I love the Legion). Hoping whoever buys this one will want a companion piece to go with featuring the rest of the team. What do y'all think?

[Linked Image]
Interesting!
Those are some hard angles, too.
I'd certainly like to see the companion piece.
nod
I like Dawnstar's wings in that one.

Since NYCC was this weekend I'm now going to show off the Legion sketches I got, including a Legion World sketch after such a long absence of them. However, I got more Lightning Lad sketches than I thought I would, and I'm including a finished LL sketch I was waiting for from Viola Tanganelli.

The first sketch I got was my very first Kent Shakespeare piece. I got it from Greg Scott Bailey, a facebook friend who is trying to promote his own series, Mock Tales. I asked him to draw Kent in his Legion Cadet outfit. Travis Ellisor thinks I'm the first who's commissioned this outfit.

click to enlarge

I got my very first versus piece from Jeremy Dale. I asked him to draw the 3Boot Timber Wolf fighting Sumo Timber Wolf, since 3Boot Brin is the one he was based on.

click to enlarge

A couple of days later, Jeremy did a quick headsketch of one of the unnamed Legion cadets. I chose the white-skinned girl Chris Batista described as "based on Livewire from the Superman cartoon, but with spectral powers". I gave her the name Blank Slate.

click to enlarge

Robert Lilly, Mike Lilly's son, did another Youth of Tomorrow sketch card for me. KIT-10, a version of Brainiac 5. Though I admit I forgot this and assumed he was based on Ferro Lad.

click to enlarge

Bobby Timony did another of the League of Super-Teens for me. He chose Super Nazi Fighter, whom I imagined as cross between Andromeda, Power Girl, and Donner from the Shadow Cabinet.

click to enlarge

Jerry Gaylord did a quick sketch of Jo Nah flexing in his sketchbook.

click to enlarge

Scott Kolins did a quick sketch of XS for me on the last day of the con.

click to enlarge
Amy Reeder did a quick sketch of our very own Leap Year Lass!

click to enlarge

I finally got a full figure sketch from Sean Chen this year. I asked him to draw the unnamed speedster woman from the Legion Academy, whom Rats Nest micro heroes refers to as "Balm". The name Balm sort of implies she's actually a plant woman, and her hair may actually be aromatic fumes she exudes and spreads as she runs.

click to enlarge

I managed to meet Barry Kitson for the first time, and asked him to due a quick head sketch of Umbra, dedicated to Candle.

click to enlarge

Now, the Garth Ranzz collection. Three head sketches, one torso sketch, and one, heh, full-figured sketch.

First is a quick head sketch of cartoon Garth by Chris Batista.

click to enlarge

Then a quick sketch of cartoon Garth from Cat Staggs.

click to enlarge

Joe Prado did a quick sketch of cartoon Garth in his new sketchbook. I like how he added an earring.

click to enlarge

He then did a torso sketch of Garth in the Dave Cockrum costume, after I'd been promising he could do that one for, like, ever.

click to enlarge

The last one isn't from NYCC. This was part of my latest commission batch from Levy Rasputin. I asked her to do a big beautiful man piece of Garth alone. Here he is as a husky farm boy, after a hard day of work on the Ranzz-Ardeen plantation. I just love how happy and relaxed he looks.

click to enlarge

Now I'm just waiting for an Element Lad commission from Colleen Doran.
You always get some great stuff, SK!. I especially like Kitson's Umbra and Prado's Garth. Husky Garth is fun. Please share the Doran commission when you get it.
Prado's Garth took a few days to complete. I was going crazy because both of my big sketchbooks were being held. It was actually Joe's birthday this Monday. At the convention I gave him a couple of gifts, both a birthday AND Christmas gift,

I was hoping to see Barry at the con but I missed him the first three days. I gave up hope until I realized someone had gotten a sketch from him at the artist's choice booth. Thank God there wasn't a line. I asked for Umbra because Candle has always told me if she could commission Barry she'd want Umbra or M'onel.

Husky Garth was part of my latest Tanganelli batch. I specified that I wanted Garth to be healthy looking and beefy, as in still muscular with broad shoulders but with a big belly. After all the pieces concerning a stocky Roy Harper I finally wanted to get one of Garth alone.
They're all great, especially the Kitson piece.
Thanks for showing it.
nod

The XS drawing reminds me of how much I miss her.
Leap Year Lass is lovely.
I tried to talk to Scott about XS appearing at some point, but he said there weren't any plans he was aware of at the moment.

I was lucky to get the Leap Year Lass sketch from Amy. She wasn't taking commissions at the show, but she was doing quick sketches when she was signing stuff at the booths in the dealer rooms.
Here's a few:

Night Girl by Matteo Scalera

[Linked Image]

Dream Girl by Michael Dooney

[Linked Image]
Oh I saw the DG piece on DeviantArt! Well done.
Another one from Michael Dooney, this time of Saturn Girl in her disco outfit.

[Linked Image]
Have you been collecting for long Jay?
I haven't--I've just been pulling stuff I've seen online that WERE con sketches and commissions, but by other people. If that's not what the thread's for, my apologies, I'll stop posting.
No, I think that both are okay.
The ones you own and the ones you find.
hug
This was a piece I received from an artist on DA, prisonsuit-rabbitman. He specializes in male weight gain pieces, though this wasn't a commission. This was a request he did for someone else a while ago. P-R's been offering, in exchange for donations, to mail some of his pre-exisiting pieces to the donaters. I chose this one as I used it for reference to get a chubby Tim Drake sketch from Marcus To.

click to enlarge
It's been a while, but I haven't really gotten any new Legion sketches lately. Except this one from late December.

[Linked Image]

This is Billiard by Stanton Fink.

Billiard was one of the unnamed applicants for the Legion from #14 of the Levitz/Giffen run, and had only a couple of distinguishable appearances in that issue.

Steve Lightle came up with the idea that Billiard had to wear a crude environment suit, and those nodulars that hang off his neck could detach and act like little satellites. Billiard could direct them and see through them regardless of where he was, and he could use them to batter opponents and objects. And they left behind sticky goo whenever they hit something.

Special thanks to Stanton for this Christmas gift.
In the meantime, I'm waiting on this request piece to be finished by Brooke Snider online. It's an Arsenal, Lightning Lad, and Ultra Boy piece. When it gets finished, see if you guys can get a classic Legion reference.

http://empty-brooke.tumblr.com/post/43073175953
Well, here's the latest addition to my collection. A request piece from Empty Brooke on DA.

[Linked Image]

Who here gets the Legion reference?
What a riot !!!
I thought so.

And the thing is, that actually has happened to them in some form or another. Roy once channeled the power of Gluttony thanks to "evil" Raven for a couple of panels, and at least two different versions of Garth and Jo got stuck with Chuck's power for a bit.

I'm still waiting on that Element Lad commission from Colleen Doran, which I'm probably going to pick up at Boston Comic Con.

Also, a friend of mine is helping me get a commission from George Perez at the Comic Book Marketplace. A head sketch of cartoon Garth.
Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see Doran's Element Lad.
That Billard is quite strange and a little repulsive.
frown
If I'm seeing it correctly, anyway.

The Garth/Arsenal picture IS cute.
This isn't a commission or a con sketch. This a tracing sketch someone did of SW6 Dream Girl off the cover of Legionnaires #16 back when I was in high school.

[Linked Image]

And this is the supplementary Lightning Lad piece Levy Rasputin offered to do for me since she forgot to include Garth's tat in the BBM piece she did for me. And she added in one of the kids.

[Linked Image]
Very sweet drawing by Ms. Tangenelli.
Thanks. I'm still waiting on a couple from her but they aren't Legion-related.

I wasn't expecting one of the kids though.
A convention commission I found on deviantArt by Stephane Roux.

[Linked Image]
These are the LOSH sketches I got at MoCCA Fest 2013

Earth-Angel Supergirl by Amy Reeder.
[Linked Image]

Beauty Blaze by Michele Witchipoo
[Linked Image]

Matter-Eater Lad by E.J. Barnes
[Linked Image]

Saturn Girl by Yasmin Liang
[Linked Image]
From the Comic Book Marketplace and others.

Lightning Lad by George Perez.
[Linked Image]

Brainiac 5 by Mark Morales.
[Linked Image]

Timber Wolf by Mike Lilly.
[Linked Image]

Character Analysis Monitor Maiden by Tyler James.
[Linked Image]

The High, one of Superman's Wildstorm counterparts, by E.J. Morges.
[Linked Image]
I forgot to include one from the Marketplace.

Dave Fox did the frog-like Legion cadet from Gail Simone's arc. I call him Frogger.

[Linked Image]

I got three Legion sketches at Wizard World Philly 2013.

The first was a big beautiful Ultra Boy (3B) from Jerry Gaylord, using Brooke Snider's art for reference.

[Linked Image]

Then I got Kinetix from Sabrina the Teenage Witch artist Tania Del Rio.

[Linked Image]

The last one is Urk of the Legion Academy by Ian Glaubinger, who did a Rainbow Girl headsketch for me two years ago and remembered who I was.

[Linked Image]
Validus by Jeff Moy (SDCC '13):
click to enlarge

Wildfire by Chris Batista

click to enlarge
Just found this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ToddNauck/status/388678745277861888/photo/1
[Linked Image]

Attached picture SparkSketchToddNauck2013.jpg
Thanks for sharing, Boot. Lips are a bit too full for my taste - although I think Todd Nauck's art has always been like that. I prefer Spark with a more cherubic and less angular face smile Spark
Okay, fess up, who here commissioned this?!

http://jkwoodwardart.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/nycc-commissions.html
[Linked Image]

Attached picture CalamityKing.jpg
He was at the convention?!
That's a great picture of a little known (by non-Legion fan standards) character! Very cool.

I can only imagine the column supporting the ceiling above his head smile

very nice pic.
Great Scott! That's so awesome!
Actually, there's another obscure preboot character there, which I didn't realise at first 'cause, well, not my expertise smile

*still thinks whoever commissioned these must have an account here...*
[Linked Image]

Attached picture StormBoy.jpg
Considering how little panel time these guys got (before Johns for this one anyway) this is probably them at there best. For this one, moments before he's found out.
Kay so, while I can't post any of them on here right now, I'm gonna run down the list of Legion related sketches and artwork I got at NYCC this year.

HEAD SKETCHES/QUICK STUFF
Kinetix by Becky Cloonan
Monica Sade by Ron Randall
Arsenal and Lightning Lad by Joanna Estep
White Lantern Lightning Lad by Ivan Reis
Emerald Empress Kinetix by Ashley Riot
Fat Lightning Lad by George Perez

FULL BODY ART
Foxtrot Lass of the League of Super-Teens by Bobby Timony
Color Kid by Jamie Fay
Alexis Luthor by Thom Zahler
Lightning Lad by Bryan Turner
Earth-Angel Supergirl by Billy Tucci

OTHER
Meteor (Star Boy) sketch card by Robert Lilly
Action Comics #864 Pages 2-3 by Joe Prado and Jon Sibal (It was a gift from Joe)
Oh but in the meantime they're all here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryNew.asp?GCat=43771&PM=1&PI=18&Days=7
Sarcasm, where do you keep all the sketches you're getting? You must have such a big collection.

I dream of the day I can get a commissioned piece, pity we don't have conventions here in NZ. Rarely do we get guest artists in our local (only) comic book store here in Auckland. And when we do, I somehow seem to always miss the notice that they're here and never get the chance to get something drawn.
Originally Posted by Karie
I dream of the day I can get a commissioned piece, pity we don't have conventions here in NZ. Rarely do we get guest artists in our local (only) comic book store here in Auckland.

A quick google turns up these, although I don't know whether they have full Artist Alleys:

http://www.overload.co.nz/
http://armageddonexpo.com/nz/
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_National_Science_Fiction_Convention
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid

Then I got Kinetix from Sabrina the Teenage Witch artist Tania Del Rio.

[Linked Image]

I'm a sucker for anything Kinetix, but this is awesome! The style suits her (Zoe) very well.
NYCC 2013 Sketches

1. Supergirl One Million by Franco
[Linked Image]

2. Monica Sade by Ron Randall
[Linked Image]

3. Foxtrot Lass by Bobby Timony
[Linked Image]

4. Lightning Lad & Arsenal by Joanna Estep
[Linked Image]

5. Color Kid by Jamie Fay
[Linked Image]

6. Alexis Luthor by Thom Zahler
[Linked Image]
WOW it has been a while.

Well then, I do have some new art to share.

First up, to commemorate the second year since I came out of the closet, I asked Levy Rasputin to do a second heavyset Arsenal and Lightning Lad for me.

[Linked Image]

Then we have these from the Comic Book Marketplace.

Saturn Girl from the Elseworlds annual "Castles in the Air" by Lynne Yoshii.

[Linked Image]

Sumo Lightning Lad by Sean Chen.

[Linked Image]

Cosmic Boy under the Emerald Eye's influence by Matt Triano.

[Linked Image]

Wave by Billy Tucci.

[Linked Image]

SW6 Leviathan by Sean Chen's young son, Travis.

[Linked Image]
And it's been a while yet again. Yeesh. I really need to post more.

So, sadly, I only obtained four Legion-related pieces at this year's New York Comic Con. Another theme held precedence and sadly the Legion was not involved in it, mostly.

I acquired one Superman piece, and three Lightning Lads. Well, two are commissions, the other's a character design.

Superman by Duncan Rouleau: This is based on Dan Brerton's JLA: Seven Caskets one-shot.
[Linked Image]

Lightning Lad by Marcus To: A bust-shot Marcus did for me of cartoon Garth.
[Linked Image]

Lightning Lad (Evil) by Joe Prado: This was a design Joe did for DC, back when they were planning on revealing an evil version of the Legion in the previous Superboy series. I saw this in Joe's binder at the Special Edition NY show, and finally asked him to hold on to this for me at NYCC so I could buy it.
[Linked Image]

Lightning Lad (BBM) by Joe Prado: Husky, shirtless Garth, which is one of two pieces I've been waiting on from Joe since the Special Edition show. Based off Vi Tanganelli's artwork. I have such great friends.
[Linked Image]
Those are great! Thanks for sharing.
I only focused on the Legion at the Special Edition NY show this past Sunday, mostly the Five Years Later Legion.

Amethyst (White Witch) by Joelle Jones.

[Linked Image]

Andromeda by Amy Reeder.

[Linked Image]

Spider-Girl by Penelope Gaylord.

[Linked Image]

Shadow Lass by Kaare Andrews.

[Linked Image]

Furball by Phil Foglio.

[Linked Image]

Ultra Boy by Jerry Gaylord.

[Linked Image]

Saturn Queen by Valentine De Landro.

[Linked Image]

Princess Projectra by Brandon Graham.

[Linked Image]
Jeff Moy just tweeted a Triad sketch (along with a Black Widow).

Description: Triad, Jeff Moy, Planet Comicon 2016
Attached picture MoyTriad2016PlanetComicon.jpg
Dawnstar by Art Thibert, posted by request for Fanfic Lady!

Attached picture dawnstar__from_the_legion_of_superheroes_by_aethibert-d7i3fcz.jpg
Well in 2016, I have gone to Denver Comic Con, NYCC and Flamecon and I have FINALLY gotten into convention sketches

Sooooo... I have to add another line to my budget!

Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid

3. Foxtrot Lass by Bobby Timony
[Linked Image]

Does she tango?
Sure does.
NYCC 2017 Legion Sketches and Commissions

Sterno Boy of the League of Super-Teens by Bobby Timony

[Linked Image]

Dr. Orbal by Nate Stockman

[Linked Image]

Spaceopoly Lad by James Silvani

[Linked Image]

Glorith by Robert Hack

[Linked Image]

Saturn Queen by Amy Mebberson

[Linked Image]

Laurel Gand by Amy Reeder

[Linked Image]

Devlin O'Ryan by Art Baltazar

[Linked Image]

Veilmist by Dominike Stanton

[Linked Image]

Westerner by Rich Bernatovech

[Linked Image]

Quantum Queen by Ben Caldwell

[Linked Image]
NYCC 2017 Legion Sketches Continued

BBM Lightning Lad by Stjepan Sejic

[Linked Image]
Doesn't look like Photobucket is letting you share these.
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Doesn't look like Photobucket is letting you share these.

Photobucket turned off remote linking except for their (LUDICROUSLY expensive) "P500" plan some months ago (seriously, $40/month or $400/year). Thus dooming themselves to complete irrelevance.

SK's options are:
  • Pay up (worth it only if he's desperate not to reupload everything and edit links. Better plans can be found elsewhere, cheaper, even on the payfer side of the wagon)
  • Change everything to links and accept they won't display in the thread No, apparently you can't do that either.
  • Upload them somewhere that WILL display in this thread

As a PERSONAL, temporary fix, there are browser extension workarounds:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fixer/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon
OH SON OF A
I use Imgur
Originally Posted by Jfposey
I use Imgur

These days, if you just do a standard
Code
[img]https://i.imgur.com/f1l3n4me.ext[/img]
embed, you're breaking imgur TOS. And even if they aren't hotlink-blocking or deleting images linked as such (...yet...), they DO purge images after six months unviewed.
http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.ca/2017/10/sarcasm-kids-nycc-2017-legion-sketch.html#more

I should've sent this before, but, I made a post with all the sketches over on Super-Bloggers. I guess that makes it easier.
https://imgur.com/JpJr7HQ
© Legion World