Legion World
Preview pages of the Conner Kent story , with our favorite chemistry teacher.
The bit about Maximilian the Frog leads me to believe that Maximilian is, in fact, Chameleon Boy in disguise.
Considering where little boys tend to hide frogs, Cham's in for some experiences that could get him arrested.

I hope the science geek isn't meant to become the new "Luthor." He's too fun and can get in just as much trouble I suspect without being evil.
He could be Conner's Pete Ross
"Or, she could be Dream Girl."
Originally posted by Vee:
He could be Conner's Pete Ross
I was assuming he'd be Conner's Lex Luthor.
Is that Mekt's twin on the cover with Dirk and Brek?
(snip)

Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Considering where little boys tend to hide frogs, Cham's in for some experiences that could get him arrested.

sigh

You're just determined to give me a headache so enduring that it outlasts galaxies, aren't you?
When I was a little boy I never hid frogs...

I eat them. So, you should be more worried about a scene like THAT.
Originally posted by cleome:
(snip)

[b] Considering where little boys tend to hide frogs, Cham's in for some experiences that could get him arrested.

sigh

You're just determined to give me a headache so enduring that it outlasts galaxies, aren't you? [/b]
No idea what you're talking about. Sorry about your head though.
(snip)

No idea what you're talking about. Sorry about your head though.
How soon they forget ...

It's okay. I'm picking up more aspirin tomorrow. wink
And good ole Krypto does just what the guy asks!
Wow.
Face first and everything!
I know it's bad but lol .

Dreamy's a great guess!

I know that Glorith is supposed to be dead, killed by Mordru, but that's some time in the future.
This Lori could be her ~ the name's been used before, after all.
Sleeping may have something to do with her powers maturing/about to manifest.
good call on Lori being Dream Girl what with her sleeping in class and all.
but isn't she in her early to mid-20's? and voluptuous?
posing as a high schooler? she must be popular.
thought that Dream Girl got re-captured by someone....who tried to manipulate her dreaming....certainly not Dr. Destiny...but Starman and Tellus has been talking about finding her. right? or does my memory have a faltering moment?
Yah, I think you guys are both probably right.

But it was still an interesting guess, I think.

How about my guess, that's she's a young Glorith?
Not buying it or not wanting it?
What about Lori Morning?

Wait, I just realized, what DID happen to her?
Latest preview has some Legion pages here . Too much Polar Boy is a Sub for my liking
I love everything!

Krypto is done so well.
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">He actually got all of Kon's bad guys.

As a gift because Kon's been so nice to him?
Or does he want Kon to have something to do to make himself feel like a hero or what?</span></span>

Brek and Dirk on Tharr ~ it's a pretty perfect pairing on a pretty perfect planet, I think.

And the art is spectacular!.

Fun stuff!imo
Sounds exciting Candle. I was waiting for some old elements of Kon's to come back.
"Time for a freezer burn" is so corny I love it.

Also, I think I got my question answered about the Ranzz children.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23311
I have to say, I've VERY happy with Clayton Henry. He can stay as artist when Paul arrives, as far as I'm concerned.
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
"Time for a freezer burn" is so corny I love it.

Also, I think I got my question answered about the Ranzz children.
Do you mean the part abouthow we'll have to ask Paul?
Well, I was glad the at least acknowledged it, anyway.
So who are the bad guys in the 20th Century.

My money is on Lori but can't figure out who she is. Se looks like she is up to no good on the cover :

click to enlarge
When Johns included a baddie from Tharr, I'm surprised he came up with a new character instead of using that Tharr villain from the Justice League Adventures book, Polar Lord.

But then again, considering what type of character Cryo-King is gives it more personal oomph to Polar Boy instead of a disgruntled general.
The villain's name is really Cryo-King?!?!? Silver Age all the way, baby! Freezer Burn would have been a good villain name, too, but maybe that's too late 80s/early 90s?
Freezer Burn sounds like the name someone in StormWatch would call themselves.
When Johns included a baddie from Tharr, I'm surprised he came up with a new character instead of using that Tharr villain from the Justice League Adventures book, Polar Lord.

The villian from that JLA story was from the 20th century.
True, but since he never appeared in the actual comic continuity, who's to say when and where he can't appear?
Well, I was glad the at least acknowledged it, anyway.
Lume (means cute, I like your answer)

. . . But then again, considering what type of character Cryo-King is gives it more personal oomph to Polar Boy instead of a disgruntled general.
I like new villians, if they're good ones.

Why does Cryo-King have more significance?
Haven't read the issue yet but from the preview - Sun Boy's miscolored hair is already bugging me.

Coloring errors = the bane of Blacula's habit!

The rest of the issue looks fun though. And I echo Portofoloio Boy's Clayton Henry praise - he can SO stay on this book please!
Originally posted by Candle:
[b]Well, I was glad the at least acknowledged it, anyway.
Lume (means cute, I like your answer)

. . . But then again, considering what type of character Cryo-King is gives it more personal oomph to Polar Boy instead of a disgruntled general.
I like new villians, if they're good ones.

Why does Cryo-King have more significance? [/b]
Like Brek said, he's an ice guy from Tharr, he tried out for a team, he got rejected, and he keeps trying to get in. They're like mirror opposites, except Cryo-King thinks he has to hurt people to get the LSV to let him in, whereas Brek had to work his ass off none stop until he finally gained the Legion's respect and the membership he so longed for.
for someone who skimmed through the stories in #1 and #2 to get to the legion story:

i loved the first story. krypto is sooo cute. and he's a really well behaved dog, if my dog had super powers there would be no world left. haha.

and i also liked the bit between super boy and red robin. seemed authentic.
If Johns is to be believed, Levitz will actually be responsible for whatever comes with Legion, so probably all our speculation is a bit pointless at this point. He says he will only wrap up Superboy's story. This all from his CBR column.
I loved this issue ... absolutely loved it ... shame Johns is leaving (much as I'm excited about Levitz) cause these first three issues have been excellent ...
To quote Bugs Bunny...

"Ehhhhh...could be..."
Finally read it. Liked both stories. Robin looks pretty as a girl.
I'm still enjoying the Johns/Manapul Superboy. They did Conner and Tim's friendship justice. Too bad Kon has to step aside next month for Blackest Night Prime fest.

Still the same concerns with the Legion backup. The art is fine and there is some interesting interaction between Polar Boy and Sun Boy. Absolutely no follow up on anything established in previous issues and another major mystery introduced.
Originally posted by Jerry:
I'm still enjoying the Johns/Manapul Superboy. They did Conner and Tim's friendship justice. Too bad Kon has to step aside next month for Blackest Night Prime fest.

Still the same concerns with the Legion backup. The art is fine and there is some interesting interaction between Polar Boy and Sun Boy. Absolutely no follow up on anything established in previous issues and another major mystery introduced.
Given that Johns is leaving the book, most plot-lines are being shelved. It will be interesting to see how many of the previews in #1/#504 actually happen during Johns' run. We're still waiting for Brainy to show up in Booster Gold long after johns left.
What if they PLANNED this all along, and Johns is simply providing set up for Levitz?
Ha! Yes, that's what they'd want us to believe!

I haven't done my blog yet but I will tomorrow with scans and stuff. Bet you can't wait (haha).

I thought there was too much about Brek in the Subs too. I've always liked him and it's annoying he's been deemed to be the comedy relief of this incarnation.

On the whole though this was a nice little story! Much better than last issue's which was a set up to something that Johns will probably now never conclude.
Sun Boy's collar being different bugged me, but all in all a good story, just not long enough.
What if they PLANNED this all along, and Johns is simply providing set up for Levitz?
What MUST have been planned all along was for Geoff Johns to do the Flash on-going. Therefore using that book's launch as a reason for him leaving Adventure is disingenuous.

My betting is that Geoff Johns was expecting to work on Adventure for the long haul but with the changes at DC he was shoved out so that the book could be a sweetner to Paul Levitz.

My fear is that we will get Justin Thyme issue(s) in #7 and possibly #8/#9 wrapping up the Johns plots while PL gets up to speed with his own storylines.
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
. . . My betting is that Geoff Johns was expecting to work on Adventure for the long haul but with the changes at DC he was shoved out so that the book could be a sweetner to Paul Levitz.

My fear is that we will get Justin Thyme issue(s) in #7 and possibly #8/#9 wrapping up the Johns plots while PL gets up to speed with his own storylines.
I suspect that you're right about the first part and maybe even the second, but I don't see that the one HAS to follow the other.

Geoff and Francis have finished #6 and he probably has rough drafts or summaries or some other outlines of his other ideas, since we're told that he plans pretty far ahead.

If I were Paul, and I know that I'm not but. . ., I'd certainly use that information to help me while I got 'up to speed'.
For me, it's simpler than that: Johns got the Flash movie gig and had to leave some books in order to stay with Flash and GL (and some events - like the one he will be working with Gary Frank).
Since they knew Levitz would be leaving DC, it seemed like a logical move to leave the book he was less attached to (Adventure Comics, natch) since DC would have a more than capable name to take over.
I don't believe Johns was "shoved out" simply because Levitz is not even taking over Adventure Comics immediately: there will be some fill-ins, as Dan Didio has mentioned in his Newsarama weekly article.
Once again, Krypto steals every scene he's in, and I'm loving every panel of it.

It's funny: The stuff Johns has been doing with Kon is fine, but Superboy is really starring in what could be called "Contemplation Comics".

The dog is having the Adventure.
It's quite refreshing to see that a new friendship can be forged between two long time legion characters and that it grew organically out of a story line and existing characterizations, rather than it being forced just because their powers are polar opposite and it would be cutesy(I know, I know. Bad pun. Couldn't resist.).

Would love somehow to see a Sun Boy/Polar Boy and Fire/Ice team-up.
This was the best "co-feature" of the three we've had so far; it seemed to have the most story. Good banter between Sun Boy and Polar Boy. Those girls really didn't know what Sun Boy's power was? Maybe the Legion really isn't so popular or powerful as they were in the U.P. Brek gets no respect, as usual, but Dyrk gets brushed off as well.

The LSV in the 21st century - back to the old issues to hunt for clues.

I enjoyed the visit to Tharr and the assorted ice-like clumps. Are those some sort of climate regulation system? Are they really some form of ice, or are they designed like that to give everyone an illusion of cold? I wonder if people in the office towers are working in swim suits.

And Krypto... definitely the highlight of the Conner story. A dog and his boy. That part is mostly interesting for what few Legion-related hints it might provide.
Char, a blind woman at my church, has a seeing-eye dog that looks almost exactly like this version of Krypto (by far my favorite take on him.)
They even act a lot alike.

I'm sure she'd bring Char anything to help her life move along a little easier, too.

I love dogs.
Oh, looks like I'm a bit late with this.

I always liked it in the Levitz era when the Legionnaires were presented as celebrities, I was disappointed to see them getting the brush off from these bikini clad bimbos!

Great new villain though!

http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/2009/10/adventure-3-senses-shattering-debut-of.html
Haven`t read this idea yet, but thats what I think: Maybe Krypto just found the secret members of LSV and hunted them down, just to offer them to his "master". Oh, and that sleeping girl at school, is this Dreamy?
Originally posted by Casaloki:
Haven`t read this idea yet, but thats what I think: Maybe Krypto just found the secret members of LSV and hunted them down, just to offer them to his "master". Oh, and that sleeping girl at school, is this Dreamy?
I don't know about the first guess you made.
smile

About the second guess ~ you could be right, of course.
But I think 'Lori' is too young to be Nura, who, in the retroboot, would be older than Jan, the chemistry teacher/Legionnaire.
Jan was the 'baby' of the Legion, after all.
KRYPTO kicks ass!

The Sun Boy/Polar Boy tale was the single best LSH story in ages!!!

Now to read what everyone else thought...
I can't see the public on Tharr perceiving Polar Boy still as a reject. He has been Legion Leader, after all, as he stated himself.

It is not realistic that people would still see him as a failure. That's not good writing, just going for the quick joke.

Apart from that, I liked the story...
CK -- I don't find it as implausible as you, but I would have appreciated some small explanation. The U.S., at least, has a long tradition of labeling people as losers when they are nothing of the sort. Look at Al Gore. Conversely, we love to continue to talk up people with track records of utter incompetence. Look at Sarah Palin.
Hey guys, check out the variant for Adventure #4.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2009/11/advcs-cv4-var-copy.jpg
I like that cover...very cool.
It's a pretty cover, but damn am I sick and tired of seeing Cosmo-Girl-Dawnstar. :rolleyes: Poor woman looks like she's about to burst and/or fall out of her space-bolero-whatever. Yeesh.
Originally posted by doublechinner:
CK -- I don't find it as implausible as you, but I would have appreciated some small explanation. The U.S., at least, has a long tradition of labeling people as losers when they are nothing of the sort. Look at Al Gore.
We got that one right on daddy's boy.

See, it is moronic to bring your politics to a thread about Legion. Believe it or not, someone's going to disagree with you.

Anyhow, on to CK's suggestion. I also don't find it as implausible. Changing an impression is harder than making one. Polarboy's efforts have mostly been off-planet so I could see the news being a little slow to reach Tharr.
I didn't read the issue, just the preview here. I think the running joke is funny and not too farfetched. It's refreshing to find the natives unimpressed with the Legion for once instead of in awe of them. It also fits in with the Legion falling out of favor backstory of the Action LSH story.
Originally posted by doublechinner:
[b] CK -- I don't find it as implausible as you, but I would have appreciated some small explanation. The U.S., at least, has a long tradition of labeling people as losers when they are nothing of the sort. Look at Al Gore.
We got that one right on daddy's boy.

See, it is moronic to bring your politics to a thread about Legion. Believe it or not, someone's going to disagree with you.

Anyhow, on to CK's suggestion. I also don't find it as implausible. Changing an impression is harder than making one. Polarboy's efforts have mostly been off-planet so I could see the news being a little slow to reach Tharr. [/b]
Yeah, but wouldn't that imply that everybody actually witnessed Polar Boy being rejected? Like in some TV reality casting show?

My feeling always was that Brek tried out for the Legion without marketing this around all over Tharr, was rejected and SECRETLY founded the LoSH. Later on he stepped up ranks.

Do you think the Substitute Legion did get a lot of media coverage? Today I would not find that unlikely, but in the 60s and 70s, that did not seem to be the case...

... and we all really want to hope that this hilarios team-up with Ambush Bug never made the news... if it DID, THAT would explain the "reject joke" to me smile
© Legion World