Legion World
Posted By: lil'rhino LEGION on Television - 07/12/03 12:10 AM
Here's a still of MORDRU from a DC Super-Heroes TV special from the late 70's!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: LEGION on Television - 07/12/03 01:09 AM
Why do I hear "Flight of the Valkyries" in my head??
Posted By: Arachne Re: LEGION on Television - 07/12/03 06:50 AM
There were DC television specials?
Posted By: Reep Re: LEGION on Television - 07/12/03 07:30 AM
I saw these two "specials" when they were first broadcast I believe as summer filler in the 70s. They were sort of like a mini-revival in spirit of the 60s Batman show. I believe Adam West played Batman in it.

One show was just all these various DC Villians running around and hokey fighting and chases with some various DC heroes. The babe that played the Huntress was hot. She filled out the costume nicely. Hubba.

The second show was a like a Friar's roast with Super-Villains. Mordru was in both, which was odd because this is mid-70's and his only major app in comics by then was his origin in Adv 369/370. His next major app was The Earthwar Saga which was pubbed years later in '78. So the fact that he was on this bizarre show that came outta nowhere was itself doubly bizarre.

I recall seeing some more photos and a writeup on these two shows out on the web, but I don't know if it's still out there. Don't remember the exact title of these shows, but they did "super-heroes" in the titles.

The probably was the first time a Legion originated character ever appeared on TV. And for all I know the next time wasn't until the Superman animated show.

Anybody know of others?

ChameleonBoy
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: LEGION on Television - 07/12/03 08:47 AM
Well, there was that ep of "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" where the villain looked almost exactly like Tharok -- I don't know how Marvel avoided that lawsuit.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: LEGION on Television - 07/13/03 07:58 AM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Here's a still of MORDRU from a DC Super-Heroes TV special from the late 70's!
[Linked Image]
Santa!
Posted By: Reep Re: LEGION on Television - 07/13/03 09:11 AM
Odin!

ChameleonBoy
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: LEGION on Television - 07/13/03 11:00 AM
Hey kids!

I found the site with all the info on this cheesy TV special!!!

Click on the lil' speaker and you even get an audio clip from the show!!!

Enjoy,
lil'rhino
Posted By: Arachne Re: LEGION on Television - 07/14/03 05:54 AM
Oh my... that's... oh my...

The hawk wings are quite... interesting...

Ed McMahon??

Mordru SONG AND DANCE NUMBER !!!!!!!!!

confused
Posted By: Super Lad Kid Re: LEGION on Television - 08/07/03 02:48 PM
Did Tyr ever show up in the Super Powers cartoon? I know he was part of the last line of the action figures.
Posted By: Vee Re: LEGION on Television - 08/07/03 03:20 PM
Hard to believe we actually used to watch stuff like this! At least I missed "The Roast" which seems to have been the worst of the two!
shocked
Posted By: Omni Craig Re: LEGION on Television - 08/07/03 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
Did Tyr ever show up in the Super Powers cartoon? I know he was part of the last line of the action figures.
I don't think he showed up in the cartoons, but I wasn't watching them much in the end, I'm sorry to say (although I always thought it was cool they introduced Firestorm, and lame that they had Cyborg because he belonged in the Teen Titans, for continuity's sake).

Tyr did appear in the Super Powers comic mini series (I believe it was Volume 3, 4 issues in all).
Posted By: Future Re: LEGION on Television - 08/07/03 05:11 PM
I'm definitely seeing Mordru's connection with Odin in my mind. I can't get the old Thor theme from the 60's cartoon out of my head now. eek
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: LEGION on Television - 02/23/04 12:22 PM
bump

This was the seventh topic on the former Trophy Room forum.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: LEGION on Television - 03/01/04 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
bump

This was the seventh topic on the former Trophy Room forum.
...and one of my favorites!

lil'rhino
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: LEGION on Television - 03/01/04 10:26 AM
I remember seeing these specials - even though I was pretty young and a comics fan, I thought the specials were terrible. Might be fun to watch now though - with some friends and a soome frosty beverages.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: LEGION on Television - 03/01/04 08:11 PM
Awww man, I wasn't even conceived yet when these came out. I wonder if I can find them at a convention...
Posted By: LegionFan223 Re: LEGION on Television - 03/01/04 11:50 PM
Is that Ruth Buzzi as Aunt Minerva? Black Canary looks like it could be Donna Mills from Knot's Landing fame. Does anybody have any idea who portrayed the characters? I don't remember ever seeing these specials. They looky awful cheesy! I agree with lancesrealm, might be cool to see now with the right libations!
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: LEGION on Television - 03/02/04 10:15 AM
Come on over - we'll have a party. Everybody to Lance's house!
© Legion World