Legion World
Posted By: kcekada Action figures anyone? - 07/29/06 04:29 AM
For those of you who collect action-figures, you probably know that DCDirect halted production of Legion figures a couple of years ago.

They had started with the Silver Age Legion -- but didn't find a big market.

Personally, I would have started with character designs from the 70s and 80s, but maybe there aren't enough fans who remember the Legion from then to support figures from that era.

Any way, my question is ... if we could convince DCD to try another wave of Legion, who would you recommend? Would you like to see Legion figues from the 70s/80s. Maybe a Great Darkness Saga series of figures? Or just jump forward to the current version... and if so, whom would you pick for the first wave?

Here are some figures I think would do okay:

1) Lightning Lad (70s/80s costume) It would be easy to do a Modern Age variant with a change in boot color and addition of the extended lightning bolt effect.

2) Dawnstar. We could see her in a Crisis of Infinite Earths wave some day. She seems to be popular -- and being that she's a winged figure -- she'd look darned cool.

3) Karate Kid (70s white/black costume). This is the costume he had in his own series. Plus, it's very Bruce Lee -- and may appeal to karate/judo fans (are there any still around?) as well as Legion fans.

4) Dream Girl in her silvery 70s/80s costume. I'd stay away from the stiff Farrah hair-do that Keith Giffen gave her -- and go with a more natural style. I think this figure could also be done as an MA variant (or vice-versa) with a bit of tweaking.

5) Cockrum Timber Wolf -- the character that is kinda the early prototype of Wolverine deserves a figure. I wouldn't mind the Lightle costume -- but it would need a variant feral head. Not really a fan of the costume he had during the Great Darkness Saga.

Other characters for consideration:

Wildfire in 70s costume

Blok (in his red/blue long johns)

Star Boy -- I'd increase his marketability by adding a Kingdom Come variant head

Early 80s Supergirl -- to tie in with the Great Darkness Saga

70s or 80s Shadow Lass. Prefer her with the sexy black costume and long hair -- but the Giffen costume was kind cool also (one of the few designed by Giffen that I liked).

If Modern Age, I'd pick:

Light Lass

Phantom Girl

Timber Wolf (againg -- need a feral head variant -- even though he hasn't show this side in the current series)

Triplicate Girl

Ultra Boy

Colossal Boy

Shadow Lass

Dream Girl

Star Boy

What do you guys think would make the most popular figures. It's okay to list your favorites, but also comment on which ones you think would be most appealing to Legion fans as well as non-Legion action-figure collectors.

Thank you!
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/29/06 04:46 AM
Just on looks alone, I think Dawnstar would be the best seller. Blok (as "big figures sell well") would be another choice to sell a wave. White Witch (Giffen) would get some impulse buying going too.

Also, whether you like her or hate her, Sensor (half-human) would get some non-Legion love if she were an action figure.
Posted By: kcekada Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/29/06 10:55 PM
White Witch could be cool -- she certainly was in the 90s.

If DC would produce a DVD of the Great Darkness Saga (as they have planned with the Judas Contract) , it would help promote that era for action figures.

Surely, other fans have an opinion on this? Heck, I've wanted a set of Legion figures since before super hero figures were even being produced.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/30/06 12:03 AM
I've noticed most Legion fans do not equal action figure fans. That may be why we don't see them selling as well as they should. Which is a shame. frown

I'm just hoping Levitz's modesty doesn't prevent a Great Darkness Saga DVD from happening. That also would be a shame.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/30/06 12:16 AM
well from the re-boot era i'd go with almost all of them, and since the Hero clix did a good job with most of the Reboot legionnaire. it would be cool to see them in 6inch size and i'd love to see a Thunder, Kinetix, and Andromeda figure.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/30/06 04:14 AM
I'd love to see action figures from any era. Given DCD's current proclivities, I guess figs from the current series stand the best chance of being produced. But, you never know.

I think Dawnstar and Wildfire are great choices. No doubt Lightning Lad and T-Wolf would look great, but I'd hope that DCDirect would stick to Legionnaires that haven't been made yet. Which means they'll probably be announced next month.

They *are* in the cartoon, now that I think about it.

Shadow Lass might sell. Actually, any of the girls in their 'skimpier' costumes would be possibilities.

Somebody should buddy up with Alex Ross. Maybe he can through the Legion into the later issues of JUSTICE or whatever his next project is and get him to tell DC he wants to do a line of Legionnaires.

On an unrelated but adjacent matter, I'm planning to buy a couple of MARVEL LEGENDS HAVOK figures and use them in my first ever tries at customization. I plan to turn one Alex Summers into Lyle Norg and a second into Jan Arrah (the reboot versions). That'd require minimal painting.

My dilemma is this- I don't know heads would work. Does anyone have any suggestions for figures with heads that could pass for INVISIBLE KID and ELEMENT LAD of the reboot Legion? Possibly aged a bit?
Posted By: kcekada Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/30/06 06:20 AM
You know -- I was a huge fan of both the X-Men and Legion in the 70s and early 80s. I'm probably not alone in liking both series -- as Dave Cockrum was a strong bridge between the two series.

Anywho -- I always thought there was a strong similarity between Havok and Molecule Master. I do have a Havok figure (still in its box). But if I could find a second (by some mircacle) -- it could easily be converted to MM.

I agree that getting Alex Ross in our corner could help a great deal. Even better if he'd do a one-shot featuring the Cockrum/Grell Legion -- as that is the only Legion stories he likes. His litho of that era is awesome (have it in digital form only).
Posted By: Kid Quislet Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/31/06 07:31 AM
It seems to me that DC would be best off at maing a line of action figures based on the designs of the upcoming cartoon. This would be a great promotion and they would have a few years to sell the figures while the cartoons were still in production and running.

Trying to cater to any older versions of the Legion comics would be difficult to get a mass appeal, I would think.
Posted By: Greybird Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/31/06 09:34 AM
I'd naturally be enthusiastic about any Dawnstar and Wildfire figures! It's a bit of a paradox that we might be more likely to see Dawny in physical form, as an action figure, than in animation, due to the cost and intricacy of portraying wings.

Even though some of the custom crafters, such as Minesurfer, have already almost certainly outdone what DC might come up with for commercial production, I still want to see those pinions on the comic-book-store shelves. And, hopefully, flying *ahem* off of them.

I'll buy two, Mr. Levitz. That, also, is the paradox: Those of us with, generally, more of the disposable income for these things are more likely to be especially fond of the Cockrum/Grell looks.

... Speaking of whom: What, I have to ask, would a "Great Darkness Saga DVD" entail? Are you talking about animation, NC, or their putting the existing printed tales on disc? Has Levitz floated any possibility of such a project?
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/31/06 01:36 PM
Preboot Legion, in Cockrum/Grell outfits.

Postboot Legion, Moy style.

Current Legion.

Animated Legion.

Thank you.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/31/06 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Greybird:
It's a bit of a paradox that we might be more likely to see Dawny in physical form, as an action figure, than in animation, due to the cost and intricacy of portraying wings.
They didn't seem to have a big problem with it with Hawkgirl. The wings didn't do too much, but Dawny would be in space or possibly using her Legion flight ring to explain why hers wouldn't move much.
Posted By: jimgallagher Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/31/06 06:55 PM
They would've sold better if they weren't so crappy looking.
Posted By: minesurfer Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/31/06 07:10 PM
I'm torn here... I'd love to see the silver age girls finished first and foremost.

After that... I'd probably just like to see iconographic/first appearance versions of the non-silver age legionnaires from any era that weren't made in the silver age run. Characters like Catspaw, Dawnstar, Wildfire, Shikari, Thunder, Monstress, Dragonmage, Kinetix... (you get the idea) are the ones I'd like to see.

I'm torn because I'd have to buy them if they were produced and I seem to have kicked my action figure habit. Also... if DC Direct made them, then I wouldn't feel like making them myself, and I've already got some figures sitting around waiting for me to take up customizing again.
Posted By: kcekada Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/01/06 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
It seems to me that DC would be best off at maing a line of action figures based on the designs of the upcoming cartoon.

Trying to cater to any older versions of the Legion comics would be difficult to get a mass appeal, I would think.
Two problems with these suggestions.

A major toy company -- probably Mattel -- will have first dibs on Legion figures. DC can make more money off of licensing the figures instead of producing them. Of course, it could be a good opportunity for DCD to produce vesions of the characters that are most similar to the TV show -- that would probably be the reboot/90s Legion or the 80s Legion.

Regarding your second point, the MA Legion is missing some popular characters espeically Dawnstar, Wildfire and Bouncing Boy. Also missing White Witch and a feral Timber Wolf.
Posted By: Tekwych Re: Action figures anyone? - 05/08/07 06:55 PM
There is a great interview with Georg Brewer, Vice President of Design DCD at Figures.com and a talk back thread where Georg should be posting in few days.

Push for those new LSH figs
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Action figures anyone? - 05/09/07 03:24 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Action figures anyone? - 05/09/07 03:30 PM
I don't know how you feel, but with the classic Legion popping up all over the DCU (I only saw the covers but MAN, am I looking forward to my monthly comic shop delivery...soon...), I really hope that they will do some Legion figures via "The Lightning Saga"...

Dawnstar, Dream Girl, Karate Kid never had an action figure, Star Boy was only available in the old Silver Age costume.

After getting Superboy via "Infinite Crisis", I really am very optimistic that some new (and FEMALE!!!) Legionnaires might join my collection soon...
Posted By: Tekwych Re: Action figures anyone? - 05/09/07 04:30 PM
As I pointed out in my questions in the talk back, the anniversary along with the legions new, front and center status in this new multiverse, begs for a new series of figures based on the classic Cockrum designs along with the new WaK designs. Imagine some of the great 2 packs that could be released - The 2 Violets, The 2 Starboys, The 2 Element Lads, a Dawnstar and Wildfire 2 pack!
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Action figures anyone? - 05/11/07 10:34 AM
I don't know, I personally would not be interested in two versions of each character in one box - it makes no sense to put them together in the current action scene "Legionnaires meeting Batman and fighting Mordru" in my glass cabinet... I just need ONE Element Lad smile

A Wildfire figure would rock, as would ANY female Legionnaire (Tinya and Ayla would be my favorites)...
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/10/07 11:10 PM
Vote at Newsarama !
Posted By: Ultra Jorge Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/10/07 11:20 PM
Guess what I voted! smile
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/10/07 11:31 PM
Silver Age all the way! Thanks Jorge! smile
Posted By: Ultra Jorge Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/11/07 12:17 AM
darn it how is that pesky Levitz/Giffen Legion winning?! tongue
Posted By: Suddenly Seymour Re: Action figures anyone? - 07/11/07 03:31 AM
Well, I didn't vote for Silver Age, but I don't like the fact that the current Legion has more votes. I'd rather continue the Silver Age before even thinking about the current costumes.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/13/07 05:07 PM
I wonder if the introduction of Showcase Presents figures means we'll see them finally complete the Legion set?
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/14/07 03:27 PM
As long as they don't just publish the tenth Superman and the 20th Batman... Lightning Saga Legion probably has the best chance to get done - due to their apperances in Action Comics this fall.

And Karate Kid is a safe bet when the first and second "Countdown" wave is coming...
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/14/07 03:36 PM
But that has nothing to do with this new series of figures. This is solely based on those characters as they have appeared in their Showcase collections.
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/15/07 03:44 PM
I don't care under which name they are thrown on the market... as long as I can finally get them :-) A friend recently saw my collection and said "Oh wow, that's pretty much the complete Legion isn't it?" Not by far! I only have one single female Legionnaire (Saturn Girl of course) and am waiting for a second one since the 90s.....
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/15/07 04:33 PM
No Supergirl?
Posted By: Pov Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/15/07 04:46 PM
Yeah, Supergirl from the SA Superboy/Supergirl set is a must! And Krypto and Streaky/Whizzy...

I need to get the IC Superboy, though... the one from the boxset is a grinning like a loon... :rolleyes:
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/15/07 06:02 PM
I'm so behind on mine. I never got the last three or four Legionnaires release nor the Superboy/Supergirl set. Or the IC Superboy. Guess I need to hit eBay on payday.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/16/07 02:39 AM
I never got Superboy/Supergirl, either. I wonder if my CBS has it? I haven't been in a while. (I'm way behind on picking up comics....)
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/16/07 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
No Supergirl?
Ah no, I don't care that much for these Super-characters... I finally bought a Superboy recently (CoiE) and that's enough.

I also don't have the Colossal Boy and Timber Wolf (boring costumes), nor Star Boy (never liked the character) nor Sun Boy (had to skip buying him back then because I was out of money... and never saw the figure anywhere since then...).

Still, my board looks rather crowded since Sawyer and Mister Eko from LOST arrived :-) But I did not mix those with the Legion :-)
Posted By: Superboy-Supergirl Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/16/07 10:41 PM
I want every legionnaire from every era.

1)I want the original Cosmic Boy (with helment can be taken off), Lightining Boy, Saturn GIrl costumes from Adventure 247. (they should make that a 3 pack or 4 if they include Superboy in it!)

2)Finish the Adventure Era Legion with a Light Lass Variant. (Her main figure is the Lightining Lass one)

3)the 70s costume legion.
with these as Variants:
a) 1)Colossal Boy Costume variants (he did go thru some changes).

b) Karate Kid Variant costume (remember the all white one with the hand?)

c)but a Must is Light Lass as a Blonde and the other Variant is her as a Red Head We should have Ayla as a Blonde too!!!!! (i would put the blonde as the main one since she was blonde most of the time here)

4)The 80s Baxter Legion with these as variants
a) Short haired Shadow Lass, http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/eighties_shadowlass1.gif her main figure should be the her with her long hair http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/eighties_shadowlass3.gif .

b)We Defintely need a Yera as Vi figure http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/disco_violet2.gif

c) the energy body Wildfire (a must) http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/eighties_wildfire4.gif

d)big lighting shouldered Ayla http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/eighties_ayla2.gif

e) long pants block http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/eighties_blok2.gif
his main one should be this one it looks more costumey http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/eighties_blok.gif

f)Invisible Kid 2's original costume look without the gray in the middle (this is a must)

5)Main Look Timber Wolf for the line http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/eighties_timberwolf.gif
this as a variant http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/eighties_timberwolf2.gif

6)Long Haired Brainy...not really sold on this one but i would get it if they had it.

7)Magic War era costumes

8)5 year gap legion in their new legion costumes you know this look http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/V4/v4_vi.gif

Variants should be: the legion on the run costumes

9)only legionnaires (the young legion) they should make from this era should be: Catspaw, Dragonmage, Computo, Gossamer & Inferno. (I think of the legionnaires costumes were basically the same Post Zero hour.

- These 3 should be in a Zero Hour Line: Star Boy, Dream Girl and Bouncing Boy they never really existed with the legionnaires but cause of a zero hour glitch they did.

10)Post Zero Hour Legion with these variants
- a)Brainy & Andromeda's change look from (damn i forgot what it was called) but you know what i mean where Brainy changed his name to Brainiac 5.1)

- b)Sister Andromeda figure

- c) Umbra's Post Legion Lost look. (main figure should be the look she had when she joined).

- d) 3 figure variant for Shirinking Violet.
-main look when she joined the legion
variants a) her more confident look b4 we knew she was using the eye. b)Veye (the look with the eye) c)the Leviathan green streak hair look.

e)same with Kinetix
- main look the original red costume.
variant a)the mystic animal look (complete with facial tat) b) the look she had after her dealings with Mysa (hair must always stay in the air LOL) c) The terraform Kinetix d) i would say Sci Cop Kinetix but that would be greedy (LOL)

f)Triad
her variants are Each Body being made: Orange, Purple and Netural (if they want to make her 1 year later look i can be spoiled!!!)

g)Dreamer hmmmm If I'm hoping for the world and i know i am ..i would say her Casual Clothed self as her variant (how we saw her b4 the Blight) and her main figure is her Costumed self we saw in Dream Crime.

h)KiD Q 2 - Her main figure has to be her short haired legion leader self. her variant should be the longer hair afro Uncanny Amazer look.

i)shraki - her variants 1)legion lost look 2) her armored look

J)magno - his variant his Sci Cop look.

K)Inferno her workforce look should be her variant. her main look should be the 20th century look.

L)Chuck Taine, Chef Tenzil should be made no questions or compromises!.

M) Lori Morning should be made: double pack: Lori as a 10 year old and Lori as an 18 year old wearing the same Blue Devil look. Variants: 1)Future Girl 2)SlipStream (they should include the H dial in it!)

N)Superboy (conner) in the Classic Superboy Costume

O)Monstress - Main her original green, Variant in her Orange skin tone.hmmmm just realized how bad calling her variant is in this case is LOL (see Leg Lost 11 if you didnt get the joke)

P)another must figure: the Jarth combo post Legion Lost.Element Lightning or Lightning Elemental ..something

And of course the Current Legion with any new costuming coming their way.

Honorable Mentions and desires:
1) Superboy's Legion
2) Legionnaires Elseworld Legion
3) Superboy and Supergirl from Kingdom Come Legion

5)Timber Wolf from his pointed ear look to his Human Look with the Great Darkness Saga look (i say there's room for both with one as a variant. 6)
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Action figures anyone? - 08/17/07 01:24 AM
Wow. Those would be a huge bunch of action figures. I would not know (if to get the money) where to PUT all them...

But I'm definitely sold on your Ayla ideas. I would loooove a blong Light Lass - I'm just currently rereading the beginning of the Levitz saga and she looked so pretty in blond...
© Legion World