Legion World
Posted By: Korbal Legion #16 Preview - 08/16/11 07:38 AM
From ComicVine.com:
http://www.comicvine.com/news/exclusive-legion-of-super-heroes-16-5-page-preview/143462/
Posted By: Set Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/16/11 07:49 AM
Wow, Zymr's found a new role! Or should I say 'roll?' As a bowling ball!

And those villains! What sort of total-lack-of-dignity does one need to have to dress up in a pink pig costume? (And why do prisoners on Takron-Galtos all get put into their cells with their weapons, armor and / or costumes? Silly 31st century prison system!)
Posted By: Blacula Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/16/11 04:11 PM
Is it too much to hope that Sodam Yat gets inducted into the Legion and then killed off 5 seconds later?

Cosmic Boy: Sodam Yat, welcome to the Leg...
ZZAAP!!!
Cosmic Boy: Hmmm... I guess I'll be taking that ring back.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 07:04 AM
nod

Didn't the cover artist say the cover image was somewhat missleading, or words to that effect?

So, Yat dies or maybe he dies in EM's body or even better, they both die.
Or worse, both of their bodies die and their psyches end up absorbed into Lar.
eek
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 12:55 PM
A little underwhelming, I'd say. Not sure how the heck this will lead into Legion Lost, or the new status quo.

The death was predictable, but some people won't be all that happy about <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">giving Earth Man a herioc out</span></span>.

Are we ever going to get an explanation about Shady's personality transplant?

They could have at least named the villain.
Posted By: gone Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
A little underwhelming, I'd say. Not sure how the heck this will lead into Legion Lost, or the new status quo.

The death was predictable, but some people won't be all that happy about <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">giving Earth Man a herioc out</span></span>.
True, but even they would probably admit that it is better than <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">a REAL Hero</span></span> dying

Are we ever going to get an explanation about Shady's personality transplant?
Not likely.

They could have at least named the villain.
Should have, Could have, but in typically DC fassion, didn't and won't.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 05:19 PM
Read it. Bleah.

Blandest 16-issue LSH run ever. EVER.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 05:22 PM
And that includes the Gerry Conway/Dr. Mayavale/Ditko/Legion on the Run/reboot-Archie runs.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 05:25 PM
Worst parts of the 3boot too.

You get the picture.
Posted By: gone Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 06:03 PM
So, does that mean you liked it or didn't like it?

*runs for cover in bomb shelter made of inertron*
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 06:48 PM
Blandest, or worst? Although looking back, Shooter only got to 14 issues. wink
Posted By: imskian78 Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 08:11 PM
this sucked.....period
Posted By: jdpinball Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 09:45 PM
What the F#*% was that ? That issue made absolutely no sense at all. That has to be one of the worst comic books I have ever had the misfortune of reading. The last few issues have been bad but this..this is a complete mess. Can someone explain what happened? This is so GD frustrating I feel like I missed an issue or two.

ARGGHHHHHHH!!!

I want my money back
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 09:58 PM
ditto .... I just bought it to hate on it.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:04 PM
This run has had a few redeeming moments... return of reader-elected leaders... Tenzil's one page... the annual... the ACADEMY storyarc (particularly Phil's 3 issues)...Colossal Boy has a great moment in # 16...

But, ummm... yeah. Mr. Levitz needs a co-writer STAT, or an artist who's knowledge of the LSH is on the level of Phil's.

I will **NOT** buy 16 more issues of blandness. Maybe bringing in the Academy kids will spice things up. The Dominion is definitely my most favorite LSH foes to love to hate...

We'll see.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:06 PM
It was pretty bad.
sigh

I really know that this is the retroboot because that isn't Tasmia Mallor, the original.
She's not even a decent substitute.
tongue
(Why would she blame Lar ('especially you'?)

And how did Kirt die?
What happened, he absorbed too much power?
How'd that defeat Krona Jr.?
confused

I'm having a hard time believing Levitz wrote this one.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:09 PM
Great Scott!

Now I'm looking forward to reading this run just to see what all the uproar is about!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:14 PM
Trust me, EDE... just skip it.

I can scan Gim's cool page from # 16 (I know we like him) and do get the annual. The rest?

The rest is unsalted, unpeppered unbuttered un-anything-ed potatoes.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:14 PM
Oh, *DO* get LSH ACADEMY. smile
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:18 PM
I've got the Earth Man's Choice hardcover which I've been avoiding reading since it came out. I figure I'll pick up the other two(?) and then eventually read the complete run at the same time.

I'll definitely pick up the Academy series when it comes out as well. I skipped the first "early days" collection, because I figured it would just irritate me.
Posted By: jdpinball Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:24 PM
Well I didn't buy it just to "hate on it"; I was really hoping for a good read.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

I'll definitely pick up the Academy series when it comes out as well. I skipped the first "early days" collection, because I figured it would just irritate me.
Yes... it definitely would have irritated. smile

As the LSH stands right now, I think there are several writers on this very forum who would do a much much better job and deserve a shot at it.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:50 PM
bwahaha ... I flipped through it at the comic store ... I usually don't get LSH anymore actually ... but I was so confused and happened to catch Tasmia's weird scene/behavior ... I HAD TO BUY IT. LOL!!!

Some of my favorite parts:

(and by favorite I mean hysterically bad)

1) The retro sexist portrayal of Tasmia.

Which reminds me of my possibly favorite post from this thread:

Topic: Things You Can Say In Comics .... That You Don't Say In Real Life.

Originally posted by cleome45:
"I have sworn that no man shall ever love me until he has defeated me in fair combat!"
2) That the whole run is a Green Lantern story.

3) That it should have been called:
'Green Lantern' featuring 'Earth Man and the Legion of Super Heroes.'

I always wondered why Earth Man didn't change his name ... after he joined ... he can't down play down his genocidal past ... even a little. 'Absorbancy Man' is still available.

4) What's with the weird scene where <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Dream Girl, Star Boy, and Harmonia are touching Earth Man? Are they sharing willpower via touch 'cause I'm not sure it works that way. wink Were they invisible, or did the teleport in ?? When did they become friends (as Dreamy said) ? </span></span>

5) and who is narrating at the end? Whatever happend with Sodam Yat ... seems like a pretty dull fulfillment of a destiny.

I also thought Brainy's satisfaction was pretty unsatisfactory.

I actualy LOVE this issue ... I hope it gains a cult following like ... Catwoman the movie.

laugh
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 10:55 PM
No self-respecting cult will ever be into this issue. smile

I agree, the Shady scenes are borderline hilarious.
Posted By: Haggard Lad Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 11:07 PM
Maybe Levitz had to wrap up all his storylines because of the relaunch? That's my guess for why this issue felt like we missed out on some of the story.

Not sure how the heck this will lead into Legion Lost, or the new status quo.
I'm not sure it's supposed to lead in to either of the relaunch books. It seems like a lot of DC's books are wrapping up their stories so they can have a clean break next month. It seems like the GL books are the only ones that pick up right where they leave off this month. I think Legion and Legion Lost will begin new stories that don't reference much of what just happened.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/17/11 11:33 PM
I'm pretty sure (per interview with Levitz?) there's supposed to be a "5 Week Gap" or something like that between this and the new series...
Posted By: Omni Craig Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 12:06 AM
Originally posted by jdpinball:
This is so GD frustrating I feel like I missed an issue or two.

ARGGHHHHHHH!!!

I want my money back
GD? Great Darkness? wink
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 02:39 AM
someone ought to ask Paul Levitz to see if he actually uses the scorecard like he used to use when he was writing in 80s. Without scorecard, I can see how bad it is....tsk tsk.

oh is there the backlash or harsh word against Paul in facebook?
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 02:42 AM
Harmonia Li. Didn't all this mess start because of the foolish experiment she and her colleagues did at the Time Institute? Now after lives are lost and worlds are wrecked, she takes Brainy's arm and says, "Perhaps we shall see if I belong with the Legion."

Earth-Man, now her. Are there no consequences for people who kill or cause the deaths of others?

Levitz can weave together some interesting plot ideas, but the core of the story seems to be hollow. Or maybe I'm missing something. I should read this 16-issue run as a whole and see if I feel differently.
Posted By: Set Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
Harmonia Li. Didn't all this mess start because of the foolish experiment she and her colleagues did at the Time Institute? Now after lives are lost and worlds are wrecked, she takes Brainy's arm and says, "Perhaps we shall see if I belong with the Legion."
In her defense, Harmonia Li half-heartedly suggested it was a bad idea, before letting them do it anyway.

While her actions were anything but heroic, that day, the dudes who are actually responsible for turning on the time-viewer both died in the aftermath.

IIRC, they were aliens as well. Kind of odd after a storyline about earth-xenophobia for so many consistent portrayals of alien prisoners breaking out of Takron-Galtos and all the prison guards being human, of a human-looking time researcher trying to talk some obviously alien researchers out of blowing up Titan, Durlan assassins killing the human SP chief, etc.

These last 16 issues seem to be suggesting that the xenophobes are right...
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Set:
In her defense, Harmonia Li half-heartedly suggested it was a bad idea, before letting them do it anyway.

If she could wave her hand and slam Dream Girl against a wall, she certainly could have stopped her colleagues from completing the experiment. And with her "immortal" wisdom, she should bear the greatest responsibility for the consequences.
Posted By: jdpinball Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 04:25 AM
So EM just gets a power boost from the last Green Lantern... suddenly he can absorb everyone's powers at once...blue guy & EM go boom! No explanation of how Star Boy Dreamy & Harmonia Li show up or what they are doing
Posted By: googoomuck Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 05:50 AM
Partially cross posted from the DC LSHMB.

Compare this issue with the last chapter of The Great Darkness Saga, I counted 77 word balloons in 20 pages in LSH #16, LSH #294 hits 77 word balloons at 10 pages. Doesn't Paul get paid by the word?
Posted By: Set Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 05:57 AM
If she could wave her hand and slam Dream Girl against a wall, she certainly could have stopped her colleagues from completing the experiment.
Ah, got me there. I didn't know she had any super-powers.

(The largest city in backwater NH doesn't get comics until Thursday afternoon, so I haven't seen it yet.)

That's actually a surprise. Li having had the power to stop this whole thing from happening in the first place, ends up making the story *even more lame than I'd thought.*
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 09:15 AM
What projects did Phil do for DC after they pulled him off of Academy?
What a mistake!

I think that Paul really needs a Phil or a Barry, someone with ideas and the ability to 'fix' all of the inconsistancies and lame stuff, either with suggestions or illustrations, before they turn into a mess, like most of the last 16 issues.

Tasmia, since she blames everyone for not liking EM, what an idiot, sigh, she'll probably be one of the Legionnaires who resigns.
She'll go home and become a nun because of her deep, undying love of a psycho, that spanned a couple of months.
tongue
Posted By: Future Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 09:59 AM
I was prepared after reading comments here to hate the issue, but oddly enough I didn't. Not that I adored it, as it was a fast and predictable read, but I did find it adequate to the purposes of wrapping this randomness up. The bad guy was defeated (even if I don't even have a name for him) and somebody died, which was about all I expected coming into the issue. With those standards, low as they were, I don't feel as cheated.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I'd mourn Earth-Man, except I always think back to Johns' Earth-Man and the crimes he committed. Really sours anything heroic he's ever done the whole book and I still don't buy into him as a genuine hero, no matter how many tears Shadow Lass cries.</span></span>

I think a lot of the things that people are harping on I've just grown used to from the book already. It's easier for me to digest too knowing that there's a bit of a new direction coming to hopefully add some interest back into the team. With our deceased Legionnaire gone and the Green Lantern story elements removed, things can only go up in my opinion. I'm more worried about the cast of Legion Lost than the cast of the core book right now anyway.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 10:39 AM
I haven't read this book yet - but am I correct in thinking that the blue baby never gets a name? So the big bad of this whole series is just some random unidentified blue baby? What a joke!

As disappointed as I've been with Levitz's writing though - I wouldn't blame this on him. I think it's been as plain as day to everyone that that baby was meant to be Krona - who also happened to just be killed off last month in 'The War of the Green Lantern Corps' story over in GLC. I wonder if an editor didn't step in here and prevent Levitz from using that character since he had just been killed off so recently somewhere else?
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 11:44 AM
Blacula, I can almost buy that, I think... Plus, I seriously doubt Levitz was wanting to write a Green Lantern story and can't blame him for turning Absorbancy Boy into a well-known character... I can almost believe TPTB forced the GL and Earth Man stories upon Levitz and us.

So I'll spread this blame equally between them.

That I enjoyed LSH ACADMEY so much more is likely because of less interference by TPTB and more Levitz being able to do what HE wants to do, and especially with the assist of a Jiminez-level talent to co-launch with.
Posted By: future king Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 12:33 PM
I think it's really ironic that...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Earthman's forarm is shown on the first issue of this series as well as the last.</span></span>

Oh well, it's over. On to the new NEW series #1!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 02:11 PM
It's not clear if the blue baby (now grown) is Krona or not - he mentions "evil loosed on the universe by Krona's crime", but is he talking about himself in the third person, in that tried-and-true villain (or Sodam Yat) fashion, or is he something else?

It was a wrap-up issue; as others have said, a quick read and not entirely fulfilling. After such a long battle with Saturn Queen, it's suddenly over, with a lot of nothing-really-happening pages.

One problem is <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I never warmed up to Earthman, and never thought he was really trustworthy - and there was that reference in the previous issue about how he could easily be brought over to the LSV. So his death didn't have much impact other than good riddance. If he'd been around longer, proven himself, established friendships with someone besides Tasmia, it might have been different. Also, I haven't really enjoyed Tasmia's behaviour in this run.</span></span>

I hadn't thought about the fact that Harmonia Li could have stopped the destruction of Titan, based on what she's done since - maybe it's just a glitch we have to overlook. Or maybe she can't interfere with free will.

Still, it was okay to see her arm-in-arm with Brainy at the end, whether they're just companions or she's making a move on him.

It looks like the GLs are going to be around in the 31st century. I hope they keep to the background.

One more thing: the art in these "final" issues sometimes leaves something to be desired, but I thought this artwork was fine. Thin on the background detail (which I like) but no complaint otherwise.
Posted By: gone Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 03:03 PM
Originally posted by future king:
I think it's really ironic that...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Earthman's forarm is shown on the first issue of this series as well as the last.</span></span>

Oh well, it's over. On to the new NEW series #1!
Some say ironic, others say nicely circular... nod
Posted By: Set Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 04:36 PM
So, for Legion 'endings,' we've had;

A badly drawn children's watercolor version of Mon-El punching the universe out of existence.

A conga line of Legionnaires fleeing the universe they failed to save.

A writer so ashamed of his work, he signed it 'Justin Thyme' failing to deliver anything from the solicit.

And now this. I guess, in retrospect, it's better than the average Legion 'end.'

I think I'm gonna stick to the definitive Legion 'end' being the last page of Superboy's Legion.
Posted By: Ken Arromdee Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 06:00 PM
This felt very much like "wrap up everything before the reboot", even if Legion's not actually being rebooted much. The entire GL plot is probably abruptly cut off because of the NewDCU--there's no way to use GLs in the future if we don't even know what the GLs are like in the present, or if Paul even still has permission to use GLs at all.

The Earth-Man "redemption" was also stupid (and I still haven't seen a good explanation for Shady liking him) and incidentally got rid of another pre-NewDCU loose end.

And what's Harmonia Li doing as a good guy? Helping blow up Titan should disqualify anyone from Legion membership. (Of course, if she's immortal, she does have a power.)
Posted By: Ken Arromdee Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 06:02 PM

A writer so ashamed of his work, he signed it 'Justin Thyme' failing to deliver anything from the solicit.
Jim Shooter had his story abruptly cut off by management 4 issues from his intended ending. Don't blame him.
Posted By: Superboy-Supergirl Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 06:38 PM
well to be sure Ken...i'm not sure it would have been well received if Jim's plans saw fruition such as having Invisible Kid have a sex change....*totally serious...read Jim's ideas he wanted to fulfill on his blog*
Posted By: Set Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/18/11 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
[b]
Jim Shooter had his story abruptly cut off by management 4 issues from his intended ending. Don't blame him. [/b]
I didn't. I have no idea who wrote that issue.

Whoever wrote it thought so little of it that they wouldn't sign their name to it, which is all I was saying there. Nothing about Shooter.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/19/11 02:42 AM
Lyle was supposed to have a sex change, but worse, much worse, imo, was Jeckie going insane, turning Brin into a lap dog and raping one of the heroes (Superboy, IIRC) and getting pregnant from the act and that was somehow going to allow the future Legion to have a possible chance to save the future.
tongue
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/19/11 11:19 AM
That sounds like utter garbage of a story!!

If this is true, I can see why DC pulled the plug.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/19/11 11:47 AM
A supposed outline of that story was posted here:

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000911

I have to say, it actually sounded interesting on paper.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/19/11 11:49 AM
...though it would probably have made a better Elseworlds, what with all the drastic changes to characters like Lyle, Jeckie, Brainy, Brin and Cos.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/19/11 07:04 PM
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Blacula, I can almost buy that, I think... Plus, I seriously doubt Levitz was wanting to write a Green Lantern story and can't blame him for turning Absorbency Boy into a well-known character... I can almost believe TPTB forced the GL and Earth Man stories upon Levitz and us.

So I'll spread this blame equally between them.

That I enjoyed LSH ACADEMY so much more is likely because of less interference by TPTB and more Levitz being able to do what HE wants to do, and especially with the assist of a Jiminez-level talent to co-launch with.
This pretty much sums up my feelings about the whole run of both books.

In the spirit of saying nothing if you can't say something nice: I did like seeing that Power Boy and Gravity Kid were definitely a pair-- and definitely going to stay one, at least for awhile.
Posted By: jimgallagher Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/19/11 07:21 PM
I just read this issue. In about 5 minutes. What. utter. crap. I was just telling my comic shop owner that I wished Marvel would just buy out DC so that we could have some decent talent on Legion and other DC books. Marvel must pay a LOT better than DC is all I can think of. If this is the best Paul Levitz has left in him, I want a new writer and definitely a new artist.
Posted By: Chemical King Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/19/11 10:18 PM
Though I haven't read #16 yet, I really have to second your feelings about this run getting worse those last few issues. I thought the first storyline was okay, the Annual was great but when there was nothing left than constant fighting for over four or five issues, I really started to think "What a weak story". Especially compared to the phantastic first Levitz LSV storyline (v3 ##1-5).

The Legion needs room for characterization and interaction. This was nearly totally left out those last few issues, and I don't know if it's only me but an issue filled with nothing but fighting is not what I want to read these days...

...especially when I have totally lost track of who is fighting where and which Legionnaire is supposed to be in which subteam. And who all those bad guys are. And who all these Mon-Els are wink

I really do hope that Levitz will reduce speed after this storyline. The new members might be a good focus to show the Legion in other ways than constant battling. I also have some hopes for the Secret Origins series.

Levitz needs to shed some light on the characters, on their relationships and their differences. This can't be all about fighting - I got a share of bad X-Men comics from the 90s in my collection, if I want to read about constant fighting I'll pick up those I did not manage to sell yet...
Posted By: Set Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/20/11 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Chemical King:
I thought the first storyline was okay, the Annual was great but when there was nothing left than constant fighting for over four or five issues,
I'd have been totally cool with a big running fight over several issues, if the Legionnaires present had made innovative or cool use of their powers. If Jacques had actually, maybe, for once in his life, *turned invisible and done something,* or if Timber Wolf had remembered that he was a non-invulnerable, non-regenerating super-acrobat, who is supposed to be fighting like Nightwing or Spider-Man, and not a second-rate Wolverine-clone, and Element Lad used his powers in a way that didn't do more harm to him than the guy he was fighting...

They really came across as keystone cops, instead of experienced and competent heroes.

I want to see scenes like Cham beating the shapeshifter on Durla through a *smart* use of his powers, or threeboot Dreamy kicking butt with combat precognitive abilities, or Element Lad putting up a lead shield *to protect Superboy from his powers,* when he created gold K to stop the Superman-clone that Darkseid sent.

I wanna see some Crowning Moments of Awesome, and not from friggin' Earth-Man!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/20/11 06:05 AM
.. yeah there was no tension ... no thrill or pace .. . just big images of 'so and so' punching 'so and so'.
Posted By: razsolo Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/20/11 10:36 AM
Ugh, not only was this the worst Legion story I have ever read, I'm pretty sure it was the worst comic book I've ever read period. I mean...what even happened?? We still don't know who the bad guy is or his origin. What did Earth-Man even DO?? How did Star Boy fulfill Dream Girl's prophecy about his power saving the day? Are we meant to believe that Harmonia Li is gonna join the Legion now? Does she have any powers aside from being immortal??

This series has been pretty uninspiring as a whole, but the final issue was just plain horrible.

At this point I am gonna give the relaunch a chance, but Paul Levitz has pretty much exhausted any faith I had in him, he is gonna have to start actually writing something decent and not just relying on the fact that he did that 25 years ago.

I'm not spending any more of my money on a comic that is at best mediocre just because I have an investment in the characters that are in it. tongue
Posted By: EmeraldEmpress Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/21/11 09:29 AM
The only thing good in this issue is Earth Man is dead!
Posted By: razsolo Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/21/11 12:28 PM
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
The only thing good in this issue is Earth Man is dead!
Good point! smile

PLEEEASE let this be the end of shoehorned-in Green Lantern stuff and rampant xenophobia on Earth stories now and can we get back to the actual real Legion everyone came for in the first place?
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/21/11 04:14 PM
did not like this issue and it was a weak ending to the LSV story line. still i'm still scratching my head as to the identity of the final planet, was it the remains of Mogo? or was it Maltus the birth planet of the Guardians? and the Bad guy was he some reborn form of Krona?
this entire run started out strong but it had a weak ending i hope the new series fairs better than this one.
Posted By: Jerry Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/21/11 04:17 PM
I picked the issue up yesterday after having already read most of the comments on this thread. No, it wasn't a great issue but my reaction wasn't nearly as negative as most here. Things were wrapped up pretty neatly, at least by comparison to the Durlan story. The art was actually pretty good. Earth Man is dead and Mon-El is no longer a Green Lantern. These are both developments I'm happy with.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/23/11 03:46 AM
Good thing I read this thread. When I finished this book, I thought "What the heck happened with Sodam Yat?" It wasn't clear to me what he had done to E-Man.

Man, this was not a good story. I thought it started out well, but the conclusion has been a mess.

Let's hope we get at least one good Legion series come September!
Posted By: Kid Quislet Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/23/11 06:17 PM
I'm here to defend Mr. Levitz. I totally believe he has not been allowed to do his job by TPTB. In sixteen issues of LSH, he's had to deal with the shortened page count, rookie artists, and a sudden conclusion deadline for the company wide reboot. I am sure his original scripts when this series first started no where near resemble the final printed product.

I hope someone will put a helmet on Dan Didio and stop feeding him candy bars so his sugar frenzy will calm down and the creative teams can actually be allowed to build up some kind of storytelling momentum without interference.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/23/11 07:11 PM
What DID Yat do?
I don't get it.
sigh

And I think that Levitz knew about the 52 at least as long as the other writers and artists who were assigned the new books, probably longer.

It's probably why we've seen Tyro, Tellus, Gates and Yera used since the retroboot began.
We always see Brin, Dawny and Wildfire, really, but they've been prominent, too.

What they would do to a Shooter, they wouldn't do to a Levitz.
imo
Posted By: EmeraldEmperor Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/23/11 09:37 PM
What happened to Earth Man certainly leaves lots of unanswered questions...what did Sodam Yat do?? And how much did the effects of a fixed flight ring continue to alter his personality? Too many unanswered questions....but maybe Levitz partially wanted that?
Posted By: Kid Quislet Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/25/11 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Candlelight:
And I think that Levitz knew about the 52 at least as long as the other writers and artists who were assigned the new books, probably longer.
I expect so, but I think Levitz probably had a good part of the first year of LSH plotted out before he even left his publisher position. The shortened page counts and the 52 reboot news surfaced after and he had to spend extra time rewriting, condensing and editing down his story most of the way thru. This is of course only speculation on my part.
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/25/11 08:28 AM
I am not cool with B5/Li so far. Not cool at all.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/25/11 02:50 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by Kid Quislet:

...I hope someone will put a helmet on Dan Didio and stop feeding him candy bars so his sugar frenzy will calm down and the creative teams can actually be allowed to build up some kind of storytelling momentum without interference.
lol

I agree that there was too heavy a stench of editorial meddling this time out, KQ. It would be really nice at this point if they kept their word and let the Legion book exist in its own sphere-- mostly detached from the rest of the DC-verse and the never-ending supply of Big Events. But it's unlikely, I suppose.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/26/11 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I'm here to defend Mr. Levitz. I totally believe he has not been allowed to do his job by TPTB. In sixteen issues of LSH, he's had to deal with the shortened page count, rookie artists, and a sudden conclusion deadline for the company wide reboot. I am sure his original scripts when this series first started no where near resemble the final printed product.

I hope someone will put a helmet on Dan Didio and stop feeding him candy bars so his sugar frenzy will calm down and the creative teams can actually be allowed to build up some kind of storytelling momentum without interference.
Hear, hear.

To be fair, Levitz has thrown in some nice character moments in his run. Hopefully we'll see more of that later on.
Posted By: jimgallagher Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/26/11 03:16 AM
I have to say that both the story and art on my book are better than this crap and I'm not a paid professional with 30 years of comic book writing experience.

I think Mr. Levitz has squandered whatever street cred he ever had with this book. Next writer please.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/26/11 03:42 PM
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I have to say that both the story and art on my book are better than this crap and I'm not a paid professional with 30 years of comic book writing experience.
lol

Well, so long as we're blowing our own horns, I'd like to categorically state that my collages are about a million jillion times better than anything by that overexposed hack Anne Taintor. The market for trained professionals cares not one whit what I think, sad to say.

Also, your project is your own and you have nobody else you need to answer to in order to get it published (so long as you can pay to do so), which is not the case for anyone who works in a large organization like DC. Frankly, the current run had the heavy hand of Editorial visibly all over it from the first issue. (Lantern-mania. Yawn.) And I suspect the crummy, muddled ending we got to this arc is directly attributable to there being yet another retooling of the books.

I think Mr. Levitz has squandered whatever street cred he ever had with this book. Next writer please.
This strikes me as unduly harsh, TBH. "Street cred"? What does that even mean in this context? I'll be interested in reading Niceza's work, just as I would have checked out Johns' writing had he stuck around instead of Levitz. shrug I don't know whether it will matter, though, since my problems with how DC operates go way deeper than an individual creator's style.
Posted By: Sir Tim Drake Re: Legion #16 Preview - 08/26/11 10:38 PM
This issue was one of the low points of Paul's career as a Legion writer. It was confusing, poorly drawn, and boring. The only thing I liked about it is that it got rid of a horrible character.

I think, though, that the poor quality of this issue was not entirely Paul's fault; it's almost certainly the case that like every other recent Legion writer, he's had to revise his original plans due to editorial interference. Hopefully Paul will have more creative freedom when the new series begins.
© Legion World