Legion World
I am curious because both the 3boot and Tooniverse titles are gone and there's no new LSH book (or even ACTION-style backup back when the book was ousted from Adventure) in the June listings. Yeah, there are some AR appearances and Mon-El in SUPERMAN, but that isn't the same.

When does Legion of 3 Worlds end? I know it's WAY backed up.

Is this to cover the LSH base until the new title can be announced (if indeed there is to be one)?

How long was the gap between Adventure and Action, anyway?

And the gap between ACTION and Cockrum's run on S/LSH?

The longest gap I can remember is maybe 1-3 months between Levitz' final issue and the 5YL run, or the Postboot-3boot gap (but that had TITANS/LSH as a bridge).

This is just WEIRD to me....
IIRC, the Five Year Gap was four months, which seemed an eternity to me.
...and now we have 4-5 months between issues!

Incidentally Mllash, thanks a lot. Now I reallly want some Funyuns.
There was 3 months between the Magic Wars and 5YL

But 6 months between the Action Comics run and starting in Superboy
And, of course, the largest gap was the one between Johannes Gutenberg and Adventure #247.
I'm pretty sure the switch from Adventure lead to Action back-up was only like two or three months. All Weisenger did was switch the Legion and Supergirl's spots. So that one wasn't that long.

Silver Age Lad says the Action Comics to Superboy jump was 6 months...looks like the clear front-runner. That's not that long considering the huge gaps in publishing for Hawkman, Aquaman, the Atom, Green Arrow and so many others over the years.
Ok, I checked. Legion ends in Adventure in May 1969, and picks up in Action as a back-up in June 1969. So there was no wait at all.
Were there gaps between Widening Rifts/Legion Lost/Legion Worlds/The Legion?
Pretty sure there was almost none. Maybe a month here or there. Two months at max, but I can't remember that happening.
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Ok, I checked. Legion ends in Adventure in May 1969, and picks up in Action as a back-up in June 1969. So there was no wait at all.
Except that the first issue was a reprint, IIRC.
Originally posted by Matthew E:
And, of course, the largest gap was the one between Johannes Gutenberg and Adventure #247.
Well, you've got to admit Gutenberg's version of the Legion was so brilliant, no writer would dare to follow up the series in the meantime!

I particularly liked his version of Ultra Boy's origin.
There was the 20 months between Adventure Comics #247 and #267! wink
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Originally Posted by Matthew E
Were there gaps between Widening Rifts/Legion Lost/Legion Worlds/The Legion?
Pretty sure there was almost none. Maybe a month here or there. Two months at max, but I can't remember that happening.

Two months between Lost and Worlds, BUT both issues of Superboy's Legion were published in that time, so there was really no gap in LSH publication in general.

Similarly, while there was no core series book in Feb 2000 (LSH #125 was end-of-January, Lost #1 was start-of-March), issue 2 of Titans/Legion: Universe Ablaze came out in February.

No gap between Worlds & Legion at all.

Overall, the longest gap with no "proper" Legion title at all during DnA's run was when Coipel got behind, and there were six-week gaps between a couple of issues.
So have we started the longest gap between Legion books in history? I wonder...
Does this count as a proper gap as DC are asking Legion fans to read their JLA 3000 with an open mind. It's supposed to be the Earth- whateveritisnow analogue to the Legion. In terms of the time of the setting, if nothing else (except one planet)

Keith Giffen flat out said that the JL3K book was not a Legion title, so I'd say no matter what DC publishes with this series, that we are in an official Legion gap.
No "Legion" in the title, but there was a 5 month gap between the last Action backup and the first Superboy backup.
There was a five year gap between the end of the Baxter Era and the start of the TMK era. Uhm....never mind.
We're definitely in the longest gap between a consistently great Legion comic!
When was the last consistently great run?

How long to be consistently great - a year, say?

Hmm... going with at least a year being the criterion, I'd put the first year of the reboot down as the last consistently great period of the Legion.

DnA were consistently good throughout much of LL, LW, and the first few months of the Legion, but I'm not sure I'd go with them as being consistently great.
If a year seems too long or short, then feel free. Just plucked it out at random.

I enjoyed the first 12 or so DnA issues, if you include the Blight and LW in there. I regret just not clicking with that first issue of The Legion.

The Levitz/ Giffen run that includes the Great Darkness, Vi's captivity, Cosmic Boy's fire bombing subplot, Omen/ Prophet, Wedding issue, Emerald Empress and the start of the Baxter run. Easily over a year there.

I generally enjoy the Adventure run as well. I generally dip in and out, so not sure about a full year's worth.
If we go by the year definition, then 2006-2007, the last year of the Waid/Kitson Threeboot would be mine. While I admire Johns work, I feel his run was too short.
Any news yet as to when a "new" monthly (or mini) series might take place?
Here's hoping...
Originally Posted by Catonyx
Here's hoping...

The way I understand it, DC is not only not publishing a Legion book at the moment, they have officially retconned the Legion itself out of existence.

JL3K is NOT a Legion analogue; it's a Justice League clone set in the 31st century. There is NO Legion book coming in the foreseeable future.

I guess that makes now the beginning of the longest period without a Legion title.
Originally Posted by the Hermit
they have officially retconned the Legion itself out of existence.

Although it all has just been shunted to an Earth-2 type analogue. So it could have been worse there I think.

The continuity ( ha ha Legion continuity) has been kept about as intact as possible, under the circumstances.
I was basing my statement on Vaneta Rogers's recent Newsarama article in which she uses quotes from Keith Giffen to reach the following conclusion:

"For now, however, the Legion is not going to be part of the future of the DCU. 'Paul actually provided a great run-up to Justice League 3000 by giving me the option of choosing how to place the characters, if I want to use any of the Legion characters. But that said,' he added, 'as of right now, the Legion does not appear in Justice League 3000. No Legionnaires appear. There is no United Planets. There are no flight rings.'"

Sure sounds to me like the entire 31st century as we know it, Legion included, has been retconned out of the DCFU.
Oh sure, but at least it was moved. It exists, just not in the mainline DC universe, as such.

It's not as though they're saying "forget about all that. Here's what really happened." Then proceed to walk all over bits and pieces of the Legion.

The lifespan of these reboots, retcons and re imaginings is so brief that I started the sentence as a different person using different words beginning with "re"

"For now" is about the length of time Didio agrees something, walks the length of the corridor back to his office, picks up the phone and then goes in a completely different direction.

And then there is this problem:

[Linked Image]

Action Comics Volume 2 #6
Actually, out of everyone they seems to be the ones most at ease jumping between all the different realities & continuities. It's probably all linear, in some strange way, to them. It's the perceptions of everyone else that are warped. smile

Originally Posted by thothkins
Actually, out of everyone they seems to be the ones most at ease jumping between all the different realities & continuities. It's probably all linear, in some strange way, to them. It's the perceptions of everyone else that are warped. smile

Which suggests the possibility that, somewhere, out there, is an 'archetypal' Legion, that only has ever been seen through the filtered / warped perspective of the different continuities in which we've seen them. The act of stepping outside of their 'Legion Headquarters' (located outside of spacetime, in it's own pocket dimension) and entering the various futures they protect transforms them to abide by the rules and expectations of these respective universes.

Certain recruits come from specific universes within these different continuums, and therefore aren't as free to jump between universes, as the 'core team,' which is why only one of the teams has a 'Gear,' or a 'Gazelle,' or a 'Tellus,' and yet all of them have had a Saturn Girl and a Brainiac 5.

That would wreak havoc on the times we've seen multiple teams interacting (such as Legion of 3 Worlds) but even that could be handwaved away by saying that they were snatched not just through dimensions, but also through time. Each of those three Ultra Boys, for instance, was a reflection of 'Ultra Boy Prime' projected at different times into different universes, and they didn't remember each other, or know that, deep down, they were the same person, because the way they project into different universes as different people doesn't just change their costumes or hairstyles, but also their personalities and memories, making them literally 'fit' into whatever universe they are visiting.

Wow, the Jungian archetypal ideal gobbledygook got away from me on that one. I think I may have confused myself. smile

^^^that's awesome! I really want a team who does that now! It would be like Exiles meets Quantum Leap! laugh
Um, where's the "Like" button for Set's comment?
I quite like tabletop RPGs, and that's pretty much how the likes of Torg and Luther Arkwright (based on the comic that I ' can't recommend highly enough) were played.
Originally Posted by the Hermit
Originally Posted by Catonyx
Here's hoping...

The way I understand it, DC is not only not publishing a Legion book at the moment, they have officially retconned the Legion itself out of existence.

JL3K is NOT a Legion analogue; it's a Justice League clone set in the 31st century. There is NO Legion book coming in the foreseeable future.

I guess that makes now the beginning of the longest period without a Legion title.

Wow, that sucks!
But if we all get together and write to Murray Boltinoff... ah hell frown
© Legion World