Legion World
Starting next week, I'll be pulling out my Legion Archives, re-reading them, and posting about it here!

Everyone's welcome to join in!
NO

TODAY

I actually have access to my archives for the next two weeks ... and want to tag along!!!!!!!!!!!
we have to get started

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Power Boy

I actually have access to my archives for the next two weeks ... and want to tag along!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta dig mine out!
me to but ... super speed.

just make an earthquake or something so everything on top falls off the archives box.
My dear friend Stephanie Powers is getting a head start:

[Linked Image]
FYI .. if you don't have the archives feel free to curl up with some old books like Stephanie here ... read and discuss.
I shall join you for this experience! Lets make it a board wide event!

I'll grab the first round of my collection on Sunday!
PS - I have archives 1 & 2, then will do single issues!
Yeah, I'm thinking that there will be several people who have to pull their Archives/old issues out of storage, so waiting until Sunday night/Monday to officially begin still sounds like the best plan to me.

What to expect: lots of wild new EDE theories on obscure points of continuity from 50 years ago, one panel background characters suddenly becoming major superstars on Legion World, and plenty of use of the word "space"!
It appears ... I only have Archives 1 until 7, and then only a few issues until the end of Grell's run.

This is space-deficient!

not really ...

hehehehehe I just read a few panels of the first archive!!!

Magnetic Eyes and Thought Beams!!!!!!

OK I will do my best to resist premature posting. from now on.
From me: who was hotter, Markita or Nila?

B-but, i haven't gotten that far in my backissue collection yet! Looks like i might need to buy at least the first one just to play with the cool kids. XD
I love the Archives! Nine Planets! Zynthia! Stoned-looking Hypno-Beast! *Choke* and *Chuckle*! and Time Bubbles!
Count me in! Volume 1 is dusted off and ready to go.
Originally Posted by Conjure Lass
B-but, i haven't gotten that far in my backissue collection yet! Looks like i might need to buy at least the first one just to play with the cool kids. XD

Threeboot is Archive month/year(s) approved!

Holy Cosmic Boy with a helmet, Lightning Boy in red, and Saturn Girl in green! ... and ... and ... Superboy's never been rejected from ANYTHING before!!!!

laugh

[Linked Image]

3 more days! Four more nights!!!!!! egad.
I can't wait to give post after post analyzing Tarik the Mute's henchman! Gorko and some other dude I forget!
It's Adventure 24/7!
There's a few I've only ever read one, like the 2nd half of the first Mordru story that I'm really looking forward to!
^^One of my favorite stories!
Was Imra always ... and Iron Butt?!?!?! We shall see.

From the cover of Adv 247 ... it sure looks like it.

I miss that wacky helmet Cos used to wear ... I think some of these simple and unexplained and completely impractical at first glance accoutrements can seem even more futuristic than an explanation or *accessible* tech.

Like those crazy resurrection lightning rods ... some future tech should just seem like magic ... as if we are neanderthals looking at cell phones after being defrosted in the Arctic.

[Linked Image]

I just made this my desktop background!

I wonder if that circle on the floor under Supes is gonna open up and drop him like a rock.
"Too ordinary"

That's like when they tell you on Project Runway your fashion is "Boring" ... the ultimate insult!
I love the idea of a group Archives read-through. We may even get so thorough on topics that we'll have to talk about obscure characters from the first archive like Colossal Boy and Phantom Girl!
Another story that I loved and have only read once: the second Adventure Universo story! One of the best stories in LSH history IMO!

One I recently reread and gained a newfound respect for: the Tom Tanner story in the firs archive. I suspect others will agree!
Gosh, I don't own any of these archives, and now I have to get them, so I can keep up with the resurgence of these fifty year old fads!

Kids these days!
FINE. Even thougn the LSH is dead, LSH archives live on. I will also participate (at least through LSH archives 1-11, which I have easily accessible). I do loves writing me a good, old-fashioned retro review. Plus I find it nigh-impossible to not want to participate in EDE-led events. Plus, Power Boy seems RILL excited about this, which is kinda infectious... like a zombie virus or something.

Also, I will link this thread to the LW Facebook page in an attempt to encourage participation there as well. Someone give me a shout-out when we are getting started please!
Lash is back.

We will all rediscover what it's like to be giddy with excitement and love for the Legion together!
Originally Posted by MLLASH
FINE. Even thougn the LSH is dead, LSH archives live on. I will also participate (at least through LSH archives 1-11, which I have easily accessible). I do loves writing me a good, old-fashioned retro review. Plus I find it nigh-impossible to not want to participate in EDE-led events. Plus, Power Boy seems RILL excited about this, which is kinda infectious... like a zombie virus or something.

Also, I will link this thread to the LW Facebook page in an attempt to encourage participation there as well. Someone give me a shout-out when we are getting started please!

LASH MUTHERSPROKING APPROVED!!!!!!!!!

p.s. ... I read the first issue in the Archives ....

zipped lips though.

one more thing:

"SQUEEEEEEE!"
HINT: No underwear.
I also suggest that this would be a great chance to link to classic LW threads whenever we get to a character / thing we've discussed at length in the past! We'll rediscover our history! Like my proudest moment, the Dr. Landro's Hot Nurse thread!
I love the idea of linking to old discussions. With Cobie, Peebs, and EDE at this level of excitement, this could be THE Legion World event of 2013!
... and the shocking return of Legion World's most beloved poster.
Okay, I forwarded Peebs' Archive pic and linked this thread to it over on the Fbook page. Let me know which issues to re-read first, I like to have assigned space-text.
... and the shocking return of Legion World's most beloved poster.

*glares* Just who is this beloved poster? *sees if has enough money to put out a hit on competition; doesn't*
I'm thinking we start with Adventure #247 for Monday, and then proceed at an issue a day (on weekdays). Then we can speed up or slow down as people want. I'm starting to think we should start a fresh thread for the actual reading, and save this one for logistical discussions.
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I'm starting to think we should start a fresh thread for the actual reading, and save this one for logistical discussions.

Not just a thread per issue?
Looking forward to this! It's the most excitement I've had about the LSH since I bought "The Curse" HC!
I suspect Zynthia will be elected first runner up Miss Legion World 2013!
All right! Since I can't afford to buy the archives (GOOD LORD COULD THEY BE A LITTLE MORE EXPENSIVE??!!), i'm going to re-read the Reboot Legion instead! Granted, no one but me will be reading that and i'll stick out like a sore thumb, but what the hell. Archives are archives!
I've never read the reboot ... pre Legion of the Damned so I will be paying attention.
*GASP* You totally missed out on some of the most obscure (read: ridiculous) Legion stories around! Personal favorite: BIZARRO LEGION. I just laughed and laughed and laughed. God, I hope you're not expecting something coherent. XD!!
I can't wait until my rereading reaches the reboot! I'm really looking forward to the entire beginning up until the Chu Sting!
Well I was planning on re-doing all my costume template files I use for photomanip references (and adding the men's costumes this time as well), so as long as I am flipping through the comics I may as well read them all again grin
I say a thread per Archive? And then when we finish the archives we'll haphazardly designate what future Archives should include.
All right! Since I can't afford to buy the archives (GOOD LORD COULD THEY BE A LITTLE MORE EXPENSIVE??!!)

http://idwlimited.com/

Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I say a thread per Archive? And then when we finish the archives we'll haphazardly designate what future Archives should include.

Sounds fair enough. And it shouldn't be too hard to "plan out" later Archives, given that (a) they have relatively fixed page counts, and (b) within that, they'd try to avoid a volume break in mid-story arc.

If we keep up the one issue per weekday pace, it'll be something like nine months before we need to worry about that! wink
I've got my review of Adv 247 waiting in the wings!
With reprints, I'll probably have a few of those early issues. Might be a while before I recognize a lot of the stories but it will be a fun thread to read.
Originally Posted by Reboot
All right! Since I can't afford to buy the archives (GOOD LORD COULD THEY BE A LITTLE MORE EXPENSIVE??!!)

I tried the search function at that link but didn't come up with any Legion/Adv results. What are we looking for?
For those who can't afford the Archives, the Showcase Legion volumes are nice, relatively inexpensive way to keep up, if you don't mind the stories in black and white!
I've got my review of Adv 247 waiting in the wings!

I too, fair Cobalt, am having a difficult time holding my horses ....

It is already April 1st EST!!!!!!!

POST IT UP !!!!
In the spirit of EASTER AND DARK PHOENIX ...

LET THE RENAISSANCE BEGIN!!!

RISE FROM THE AWKWARD ASHES OF WEBSITE UPDATES/TRANSFERS AND UTTERLY BORING AND NONSENSICAL CONTEMPORARY LEGION ISSUES!!!!

ANCIENT AND YOUNG POSTERS ALIKE ....

the time to post is ... nigh.
O Fortuna rocks. Very inspiring PB!

Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
Originally Posted by Reboot

I tried the search function at that link but didn't come up with any Legion/Adv results. What are we looking for?
Just the prices!
My excitement is lessening. What I need is several more excited Peebs posts.
I suspect like myself, he's waiting for Eryk to kick start the event! It's an honor we gladly bestow on him, the grooviest of all LMBers!
It's all coming together !

Originally Posted by MLLASH

BAH

I will destroy the internet except for Legionworld.net for Archives MONTH!

heat vision
Bah to Facebook only Legion Worlders!
Someone needs to tell Teeds we're doing this stat! And Dean Lee!
So many issues to reread, and so not enough time!!!
YES! Paladin and IB are in!!!

:fireworks:

and ... Emily, and Blockade Boy, HHW, and FAT CRAMER!!!!!

It is a partyyyyyy.
Where in the world is Michael L Lash?!
The cool kids always show up late.
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
The cool kids always show up late.

Which is why I'm always early. XD!!
Where in the world is Michael L Lash?!

He has been assimilated by the Facebook.
Have any of you guys heard the Super Future Friends podcast? http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com/ They read all the Legion stories in order and have a rather amusing podcast on each one, mostly about the Silver Age silliness. Unfortunately they stopped at Adventure 312.
That's it! I was trying to recall that podcast name. They really brought out the most hilarious aspects of the early stories, as well as highlighting the importance of statues, tunneling and ... a few other things which I've forgotten for the moment.
The first week has been pretty groovy so far! Thanks to everyone who has been participating!

Next week we have:

1) Supergirl joins the Legion, for reals!

2) Mon-El!

3) The Legion of Super-Villains!

4) Tom Tanner!

5) Brain-Globes and Super-Pets!
Best week ever? All five are pretty great.
I'm actually pumped for tomorrow to kick off week 2! This is revitalizing my love for the Legion, especially as I push the current series farther away from my sight.

I had to check to make sure I have Superboy 98, 117 and 125 in my Adventure collection since after Archive 2, I'll be doing single issues. Anyone know off hand the other ones I need to find? Superboy 147 is the origin issue I think. Any Jimmy Olsen or Lois Lane issues I'll just have to read online.
Not sure offhand what else there is.

By the way, I'm thinking about using weekends to insert reviews of some non-Archived Legion appearances! Next weekend would be Superman #152, which I actually just read for the first time today!
If we get pretty far, I know of at least one library that has Kirby's Jimmy Olsen run. I'm not sure how much it ties into the Legion, but it has the first appearance of Darkseid. How far is the group planning on reading?
I figure we'll go until we get bored/run out of steam.
I'm hoping we get to at least tmk but I know in my heart Eryk is right.

I think non-Archived reviews is a great idea! I just had in my hands Adventure 289, which is the first appearance of Jax-Ur, and the second Phantom Zone appearance. I may read & review!

Oh, and Superman 149 is an excellent story! "The Death of Superman"! The Legion has a cameo but it's an Imaginery Tale. (Aren't they all?)

A classic Superman story, though I didn't grab it.
Still going strong the second week! People should feel free to join in at any time!

Up next week:

1) Whizzy!

2) Supergirl's super-matchmaking!

3) Gary Crane's Ultra-Peepers!

4) Urthlo!

5) The Secret Origin of Bouncing Boy!
For a second, I thought "who heck is Gary Crane?". Then I remembered that's one of my all-time favorite stories! Which I have a special story behind how I got to own a near mint copy of the issue with the help of an LMBer!

BTW, where is Lash Lad? If this keeps up, I demand his super-expulsion!
Still going strong the second week! People should feel free to join in at any time!

Up next week:

1) Whizzy!

Oops! Sorry EDE, I preempted you on the Whizzy issue frown
But you also included the "I wonder if she lives up to her name?" bit, so all is good! lol
Thank goodness Whizzy isn't the name of the super-HORSE! lol
Update! Due to lack of participation, Lash Lad has been expelled by the LMB. He has now joined the Substitute LMB, otherwise known as the FB LMBers.
Will he be given a bulky jet-pack?
Should we strip off his insignia?
Okay, so next week... I think it's best if we just finish off the remaining four stories in Archive One, and then start on Archive Two the following week.

So that'll give us:

Mon-- Kranyak!
Tues-- Dr. Landro's Hot Nurse!
Wed-- Spectrium Medallions!
Thurs-- Marvel Lad, or Legionnaire Lemon!

This is also a good opportunity to talk about plans for the future. A couple of readers have fallen off already, and there's been a couple of suggestions that we slow the pace down.

So... what do you guys think?
I couldn't help but read ahead, as Dr. Landro's Hot Nurse is my #1 proudest moment as a citizen of Legion World!

I personally would love the pace to continue briskly, but I do want to include as many reviewers as possible to join in on the fun. So how about a possible: Monday, Wednesday, Friday review timeline? Three stories a week, no weekends? Once they become issue long stories, that might be easier anyway.

I'm anxious to hear what others have to say. I just require a simply blood oath that reviewers promise to continuing reviewing comics all the way to the Space Circus of Death, lest the forfeit their entire post count, which will be set to -1,000.
Slowing the pace down might be a good idea to give more people a chance to respond. I take it we want to stay focused on the story at hand, and not jump back to previously discussed stories? Perhaps that policy (real or implied) is what's keeping some people from posting since not everyone can read a story and/or post each night.

(I have to say, though, that I couldn't wait to share my thoughts on Adv. 301. I wasn't sure if it was Eryk or Cobie who decided when it was time to move on to the next issue, so I patiently bit my tongue. smile )
I'm like you, HWW--I'm biting my tongue until the next morning sometimes to talk about the next issue being reviewed! Rereading these stories just has me real excited about talking comics.

I love the different perspectives and people honing in on different things.

And FYI, I usually just wait until the next morning to start. So whoever is up the earliest can go ahead. Usually its either FC or myself around 6:00 AM - 7:00 AM EST. But no hard and fast rules...anyone can kick things off.
It certainly wasn't intended that people couldn't pick up on discussions of previous issues, though I can see how too much of that might get a bit disruptive.

Another way to think about it is that we could do one Archive per month, and then map out the stories to spread out over that month.
I personally won't have much to say until we get to the 1970s comics. Before that time period I'm going off of distant memories of reading the Digest reprints my father had in his collection. Though if/when we decide to compare this stuff to what Marvel was doing at the time (Fantastic Four is in many ways the antithesis of the Legion) I will have a lot to say.
So, if everyone's cool with M W F, that would make next week:

Mon- The Subs!

Wed- Mystery Lad!

Fri- Lightning Lad returns... but his Adam's Apple doesn't!
Are we still on Archive #1?
Monday begins Archive #2 at the revised, slower pace!
It's the perfect jumping on point for new re-readers!
I've been rather useless as far as this first archive is concerned. XD! I will try to do better in the next round!

Next week we've got:

Mon-- A mission too dangerous for a girl (but not a fat guy)! (Adv. 309)

Wed-- A mission too dangerous for the entire Legion! (Adv. 310)

Fri-- A mission to dangerous for those meddling, incompetent Substitute-Heroes! (Adv. 311)

BTW, I like the idea of each new Archive listing the issues in question at the start. Because starting with #3, I'll be reading the individual issues--And ain't no way I'm digging through to find those Jimmy Olsen stories. nod
As if this week's "Doom of the Super-Heroes" wasn't enough, next week features all kinds of doom as well!

Mon - The only way to save Lightning Lad's life is to doom another Legionnaire! (Adv. 312)

Wed - Who has doomed the girl Legionnaires? Could it be... Satan Girl? (Adv. 313)

Fri - It's a whole world full of Doomed Olsens! (JO 72)
Hey, guys! Guess what *isn't* cancelled?

That's right! Re-reading the Legion will continue on as normal, whether there's a current book being published or not, or whether they turn it into Justice Legion or Green legion Corps or Bat-Legion or whatever!

So come join us!
So which one is tomorrow? I think the Jimmy Olsen story technically comes next in the Archives?
Hmm... you're right. I wonder how I got them mixed up?

Let's stick with the Archive order and do Jimmy Olsen next.
So, next week:

Mon- The Legion face the three greatest villains of history in Adv. 314!

Wed- The Subs vie for Legion membership in Adv. 315!

Fri- Ultra Boy goes renegade in Adv. 316!
Okay, next week we finish out Archives #2 and start #3!

So, that gives us:

Mon-- The Menace of Dream Girl! (Adv. 317)

Wed-- The Mutiny of the Legionnaires! (Adv. 318)

Fri-- Jimmy's Legion Romances! (JO #76)

Starting with Archives #3 I'll be reading individual issues. There are two coming up that aren't Adventure, right? Jimmy Olsen and an issue of Superboy? (The one with the great cover!)
Yeah, Jimmy Olsen 76 and Superboy 117 are both in Archive #3!
So, in going through my LSH collection, I realized a few things: I don't have Adventure #322, though I have read it before (where?) as I know it has some important Protean / Antarres info. I also don't have Adv #336 part two of the Starfinger story, which I've never read!

Also, I found that I do indeed have Superboy #147, but I'm also positive I've never read it before.

And a whole series of Shootee Adventure stories I've only read once: 2nd Universo (which I loved), Unkillables, Wanderers, and a few others.

I'm really looking forward to all of these!
Question - has the 'Earthwar' story from Superboy #241-245 been reprinted anywhere? The latest Archive I can find is #13 which has some of Levitz's early work but I don't think it includes Earthwar. And unless I missed something, their Showcase volumes are only up to Shooter so far.
No reprints of Earthwar that I'm aware of. I believe it would take at least two more Archives to get to it (assuming any more ever get published).

Earthwar is available on Comixology, however, if that helps.
Ah, the power of the Digital Age! I'll check that out, thanks.

Because of the holiday I totally forgot to post my review!
By the way, I assume the MWF schedule is still working for everyone. If not, we can talk about changing it for Archive #4.
Er... I've felt like crap the past few days, so I've fallen behind. But I'll catch up soon!
I wondered where your review of JO 76 was.

Feel better soon.
I was worried Lucy Lane negatized your love of comic books forever! She's the worst that way!
Tonight I'll be catching up by posting 5 reviews!
Yay! And I know what some extras will be! I have my response ready in waiting!
That's five for tonight!

I may work in a bonus review of Lois Lane #50 by the end of the weekend!
So hopefully the busy Mr. Ester stops in tonight to check this. We're now at the end of Archive #3. Should we let that thread ride and pick up #4 on Monday? (that's what we did on the last one which also ended on a Wednesday).

Sound good everyone?
I'll be up tonight. If Edie doesn't start it, I'll do so after midnight. Groovy?
That comes with the dire responsibility of listing all the issues in the archive! Do you dare try it?!
I DARE!!!!!
The let he who hath coconut sized testicles proceed!
That rules me out!
lol
Originally Posted by Paladin
I'll be up tonight. If Edie doesn't start it, I'll do so after midnight. Groovy?

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, Lardy. I've already read 329 and will be ready to post my thoughts by tomorrow.
So...we seem to be losing some participants the last couple of weeks. I know Huey is sporadic now because of his work schedule, but others seemed to have dropped off inexplicably. Does it have something to do with summer ending, maybe?
I've dropped off for work-related reasons as well. Between the Legion re-read, the Dr. Gymll's re-read, the Bits Supergirl's Legion fanfic, and my other pursuits, something had to give, and unfortunately, it was the Legion re-read. Sorry, Lardy. But I'm not discounting the possibility of re-joining at some point ahead, or the possibility of chiming in on occassion, like the 2nd Fatal Five/1st Shadow Lass story.
Fanfie, we NEED you for the 2nd Fatal Five story! Our girl Shady needs her intro discussed with pomp and circumstance!
Awww...thanks, Cobie. I'll be there for sure. I'll do just about anything for Tasmia.
For me it's not really work, I just don't feel I have much to contribute to the Archives rereads. Your reviews already cover all the bases smile
Here's a thought.....with the Archives re-read threads obviously losing some steam--fewer posts, fewer views, etc.--should we consider suspending the project shortly? Some possibilities include stopping after the current volume/#7 or with the conclusion of the Adventure Comics era/#9.

I feel, no matter what, that some kind of break will need to occur as the holidays draw nearer. it's just a question of when and for how long. I want as much participation as possible, and it seems like we're hemorrhaging re-readers every Archive, especially with summer's end. It's frustrating because we're in, arguably, the most exciting era yet with Shooter at the peak of his world-building.

But this is a democracy, so I'm soliciting opinions. Should we suspend the re-read project at all? If so, for how long and at what point?
I say we keep it going til the end of the Adventure Comics run. I especially wanna get my 2 cents in about the 2nd Fatal Five/1st Shadow Lass story (which I love) and the 1st Mordru story (which I've got extremely mixed feelings about.)
For what it's worth, I'll probably be totally back in come January.
I'm very glad you said that, EDE.
You've been sorely missed, Edie!
Any other opinions about if/when suspending the Archives discussion for a while? Cobie, you're pretty much the Archives torch-bearer, right now, having been the most consistently posting from the beginning. I kinda feared you'd chime in with an angry "HELL NO!!!", but so far--silence.

Speak! scream
To be honest, I'm kind of wary of continuing with 2-3 or less reviews per issue. Lately it feels there's been a definite loss of steam.

I desperately want to continue. In fact, I won't be rereading anything else--Legion or otherwise--anytime soon unless its the continuation of the Legion. But I wonder what we could do to get back on track...including waiting.

I didn't review the latest on Friday and haven't even read it yet. I'm traveling for work tomorrow and Tuesday (of the driving far variety) so I won't be reviewing one tomorrow.

Eryk being able to pick things up again soon is positive. You're (Lardy) best point was we're in the midst of one of the high points of all time in Legion history. I'd hate for the reviews to be half of what they were in the early volumes as we experience it.

So I'm really torn. I still demand we get all the way to end of the reboot at least. But seeing that as a long term experiment, I'm wondering if a little patience now will allow for a resumption of momentum at the right time?

It's too bad. I've been having such a blast.
It seems kind of ironic that this re-read thread is running out of steam just as we're getting to the best of the Adventure Comics era.
Originally Posted by googoomuck
It seems kind of ironic that this re-read thread is running out of steam just as we're getting to the best of the Adventure Comics era.
Yes, and disappointing! I half expect Alanis Morisette to add another verse to "Ironic" about this. frown
And with no posts about the two latest stories this week, it looks like the Archives project has suspended itself? shrug If so, we'll have to pick up where we left off if/when the project resumes.....
Yes, and disappointing! I half expect Alanis Morisette to add another verse to "Ironic" about this. frown

If this isn't a call for a He Who Wonders post, I don't know what is!
Is it weird that I'm planning a "100 Toothpicks meets Michael Myers" to show up at your houses, make you read the archives, and post reviews? You know, in the spirit of Halloween. Without all that killing stuff.

But def with the mask.
....and the ridiculously heavy breathing? lol
Only when it gets really weird.

(Like the Wanderers story--jeez! What did you think, it's always sexual?)

If this isn't a call for a He Who Wonders post, I don't know what is!

Hm. I'm not sure what I can add to that . . . smile
Sorry from one of those who dropped out.

Blame work, sickness, family issues, and then finally embarrassment at falling so far behind that it seemed too hard to catch up.

Finally sorted things enough to just have a look and ... too late.

Oh well, I will still be looking forward to when it starts up again and in the meantime I have plenty of reading to catch up on.
Hey, welcome back, stile86.

It's not too late to add your thoughts about any particular issue. I posted yesterday a review of 358 a week after the discussion had moved on. I've been busy with work and stuff, too.
Originally Posted by stile86
Sorry from one of those who dropped out.

Blame work, sickness, family issues, and then finally embarrassment at falling so far behind that it seemed too hard to catch up.

Same here frown

Damn reality, anyway!
So, it's still a little ways off as we have to get through Archives 11-13, but I've been thinking about how we would proceed after #13. Should we put our heads together and create our own Archive breakdowns for the fictional #14, 15, and so on?

Key for me is making sure we include DC Special #28, DC Super-Stars #17 and All New Collectors Edition C-55 (the Tabloid Issue), the latter of which I've never read. Plus the JLA crossover and the DC Comics Presents and Brave & Bold issues, which come a little later!

Would our fictional Archive #14 include the entire rest of Paul Levitz's run from #234 all the way through Earth War (#245), plus the Tabloid issue? And we can kick it off with the JLA crossover?

I also think we should include when we review Archive #13 the two stories DC left out: DC Special #28 and DC Super-Stars #17.

Then the fictional Archive #15 would include the transition issues and first third of Gerry Conway's run from #246 straight through Superboy's exit from the title in #259? This would also include the two DC Comics Presents issues #2 and #13 which fit into this era.

Thoughts? This is actually a bit of a ways off but nerds, organizers and statisticians alike will enjoy this question.
I'm glad you brought this up, Cobie, because I had been thinking about it quite a bit myself.

I was planning to keep going straight through to Omega (#250-251) and then jumping off the train until it gets all the way to the Postboot (Conway is not in my collection and holds no interest for me, while I read Levitz Mark II less and less for pleasure these days, with a few exceptions like the Universo Project, and I've made no secret of my antipathy towards TMK.)

DC Special #28 actually is included in Volume 13.

I don't have The Tabloid in my collection, nor do I have DC Super-Stars #17.

I agree with you that we should include the JLA/JSA/Legion crossover, if only for the gorgeous Dick Dillin art.

And I should add that I'm happy to keep carrying the torch of leading the discussions until we reach my pre-planned stopping point.
I just thought we'd keep going. I read so many of the '70s issues out of sequence I was looking forward to seeing what others thought of the issues as well as having an excuse to read them myself.

I'd agree to keep going as well. Although I don't have some of those issues Cobie mentioned, I'd like to read what other people have to say about the stories.
I plan to keep going. I refuse to skip a single issue all the way until the present day!

When it comes to issues that no one has and are not easily found, let's all PM each other a bit as there are certain Legion Worlders that have helped me resolve such things in the past. And I know for a fact that if anyone wants to read any particular issue of the LSH, we can make that happen. wink

And yes, Fanfie, if you don't mind, please keep carrying the torch in managing these Archive Reviews until we get to your departure. (Note to self, start thinking of ways to convince Fanfie to come back at least the non-Conway, non-Giffen issues).
PS - I think its implied but if its not: yes, we definitely plan to keep going, its just a matter of how we want to break up certain eras into "fictional archives" (re: threads).
And I know for a fact that if anyone wants to read any particular issue of the LSH, we can make that happen. wink

Good to know. I'm definitely missing the last part of the Universo Project from the Baxter run for a start. I really need to look ahead a few binders to see if there's anything missing from the '70s. Like I said, I got them all in bits and pieces.

I'll need to look at the "special" (they're all special to me wink ) issues. They live in their own binder somewhere. Does everyone else keep those separate?

I'll have to leave it to you guys to determine what should be in each archive. I've got the first one, but I think that's it, so I've never really had a grasp of what's in them, and have to peek at the opening posts.

Note to self, start thinking of ways to convince Fanfie to come back at least the non-Conway, non-Giffen issues).

Allow me. C'mon Fickles, it's Conway! Y'know, the guy who gave us Justice League Detroit... uh Fickles? ... Fickles? ah Cobie, maybe you will need to start thinking...

Re-Read Promotional Tagline: Share the Pain! Legion World starts the Reflecto Saga!
I totally thought of the "share the pain" idea too! lol

But it's not the most marketable thread title. Though we are Legion fans...
Close up of a sobbing thoth Lad, head in hands in a darkened room.

Voice over: This poor man was left to start the Reflecto saga on his own. He had no one to turn to when the plot became convoluted. No one to share the sense of betrayal of being drawn in by Perez covers.

Spare just 20 minutes a week on the Legion World Re-reads thread, so that thoth lad doesn't have to suffer alone again.

I'm reading the original issues I bought off the stands (or at 7-11s or at Parisoff's grocery store, etc.), so I'll keep going as long as others keep going.

I'm for including any story in which the Legion "stars" as part of the ad-hoc archives.
I still demand we get all the way to end of the reboot at least.

There's a thread waiting for all of you for when we get to that point smile
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to feel like maybe after we finish Volume 11 (four more issues to go), we should take a few weeks off. Volume 11 has been pretty rough going for me, despite getting off to a great start, and as I recall, Volume 12 will be pretty much more of the same, only worse. Volume 13 is mostly Levitz Mark 1, which these days I actually find more interesting than most of Levitz Mark 2, but we have to work through Volume 12 to get there, and I think it would do us all a world of good to face that challenge after a refreshing break.

Thoughts?
If others want to keep going, I'll keep going. If a break is desired, that's fine by me.

Even though most of these stories aren't very good, I learn a lot by reviewing them. For example, I appreciated Cobie's thoughts on the wasted potential in 208. He's right that parallels could have been drawn between Sun Boy's lack of self-confidence as leader and Sun Emperor's overconfidence.

One way to reinvigorate our reviews might be to focus on similar areas of wasted potential--places where the story might have gone in a better direction (e.g., what would you as the writer have done?).

If we do take a break, we should agree on a timeframe for resuming the reviews.
I personally would prefer to keep pushing forward one week to the next, and move right through the 12th Archive.

That being said, I'll gladly go with what ever is decided.

And thanks HWW!
I've no problem with pushing forward, especially since this isn't a "re"-read for me at this point. However, after Archives 14, I won't have any material on-hand at that point. I sure wish DC would by some miracle continue thru 15 and 16. I'd sure like to read "Earth War", finally....

(BTW, Cobie...check out the "Halloween films" thread on Anywhere! nod )
I propose a compromise: I'll carry the baton for the rest of the Volume 11 discussions, then pass the baton to somebody else for Volume 12 on (and I'll still chime in depending on what I think of the story that particular week.) Cool?
That compromise works for me! Any volunteers? Thoth?

Lardy, when we get to the point where you no longer have the Archives handy, we may have a solution for you. I know I'd hate to lose your insight, especially when you experience Earth War for the first time. The magical folks of Legion World have all kinds of resources up their sleeves.
While I'd be delighted to push on, if having a few weeks off means that one of the regular contributors comes back at it fresh, rather than just chipping in, then I'm up for that.

After all, it's not as though we're falling behind fresh Legion material or anything here.

If I were to take the baton, Cobie, I couldn't possibly tell you that's what I was doing. I'd just drop in with "No posts before noon on St Swithin's Day Cobie! To the Naughty Step!"

I'd be interested to find out if there's anything anyone wants to hear more about in the reviews too. HWW mentions wasted potential and ideas for alternate plots. Personal anecdotes seemed popular too, regarding when issues were read. Is there anything else?
Personal anecdotes are among my favorite things to read on these!
Lardy, when we get to the point where you no longer have the Archives handy, we may have a solution for you. I know I'd hate to lose your insight, especially when you experience Earth War for the first time. The magical folks of Legion World have all kinds of resources up their sleeves.

I'm aware of some of this, of course. Still doesn't change the fact that I'd like a couple more Archives published so I can own high-quality print versions of the damned things! mad

I guess I'd be down with those alternatives if it (likely) comes to it.
Personal anecdotes are among my favorite things to read on these!

Your wish...

Adventure #300 - DC look as though they're going to press ahead with their Legion schedule, rather than wait until I'm born. A stern letter will be sent later from my Time Bubble.

Adventure #363 - Earth is saved from Mantis Morlo, which is a relief as I'd hate to be born onto a decimated planet. Gloomy!

Action #392 - Shame of the Super-Son. What a jerk Bat-Dad was! I hope I don't get born to that. What would I do with a mansion anyway? Become the new Fortress Lad? No thanks!

...more diary entries can be found at YouStartedWithoutMe.com
Originally Posted by thoth lad
While I'd be delighted to push on, if having a few weeks off means that one of the regular contributors comes back at it fresh, rather than just chipping in, then I'm up for that

Please don't take time off on my account. I'm a bit burned out on the Legion overall -- that's why my current fanfic project is a non-Legion one -- and it could take a long time for me to return to my normal levels of Legion enthusiasm.
Sorry, everybody, but I'm dealing with too much personal stuff right now, and I have to temporarily drop out altogether of the re-read. Anyone is free to post the first review of S&tLSH #209.
Sorry you have to take a break, Fanfie, as I always look forward to your reviews. Come back when you can.
Thanks, He Who. I definitely will.
Hope all is well Fanfie. Sending some good vibes your way.

Like HWW says, hope to see you come back when able. And as always, you can backfill on the issues you'd like! The Reread project really will miss you until then.
Like a Super Echo ...of Space, I can only reiterate what the others have already said. Look forward to your re-read return.
Thank you, Cobie and Thoth.
Just checking in to see if people still want to push on with Archive twelve next week, or wait until after the holidays before beginning.

Let me know, or I'll have to use the planetary chance machine and you know how I hate picking up all the little globes when they go flying. Grrrrr...

I'd prefer to keep going!
As I said before, if others want to keep going, I'll keep going.

Righty right. I'll put it up on Tuesday then. I'm sure there's a reason it's Tuesday smile

12 also has the first Karate Kid issue.

Karate Kid #1 has the same cover date as #216. Does this get reviewed before 216? after 216 or left to the end of the archive?
Or there's the option to not reread it at all. (I read it recently anyway as I was moving some boxes around)

I'd prefer to do it after #216, just to keep it in order, but does anyone else have a preference?
I saw a table of contents for Archives 12 recently which showed it coming after 215.

I'm fine, either way. I'll have to find my KK's in my collection.
I'm good with it before or after 216, but i definitely want it as part of the thread. I'd also prefer it not be after all the other stories in the Archive.
Same here. I've never read it before! After 215 or 216 works for me!
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
I saw a table of contents for Archives 12 recently which showed it coming after 215.

Well, if that's the way the archive has it, then that's the way it shall be. Which means it's next up!

I've seen the cover of #216 in my binder, so all the more build up time for that smile
Just a heads-up:

I don't think I'm going to be re-joining the re-read until we reach the Postboot era.

In the last few months, I've grown increasingly frustrated with the overall Preboot canon. So much wasted potential, so many missed opportunities. I still hold some it in high esteem: the majority of the Adventure era, a handful of Cockrum/Grell stories, bits and pieces of Levitz's 1970s run, and, above all, the first three years of the Baxter era. But no matter what I try to re-read of the Preboot era, I almost always find myself focusing on what's wrong with it rather than what's right with it.

The Postboot era is far from perfect, but lately I find myself turning to it for pleasure far more often than I do with the Preboot era.

So, until we reach the Postboot era, it's goodbye for now.
Crumbs! That's a long ways off. frown
Sad but true.

I felt bad about making that post, but I still feel I needed to say it.
On a positive note, as readers could look at the Legion and find comfort that humanity survived until the 30th century, we can look to your optimism that there will be a rereads thread going on long enough to get to the Postoot. smile

And Lo... the Survivors looked past the blinding light of Zero Hour. Lost and on the Run they had become. From those vanished in space to Marzal teleports, to those lost to themselves through Mayavale and Relfecto identity crises. The LW Reread Survivors had wearily pushed on.

Through the endless wastes of the Terra Mosaic, they had come. Come to the message of she who writeth Fanfic. Through time and dust encrusted eyes their leader, Starts On A Tuesday!, peered at the stone etchings...

"Actually, I've always been more fond of the Threeboot really."

And there was much screaming...

"Starts On A Tuesday!" sounds like a relative of Solomon Gundy. One shudders to think of what dark powers reside within....

Sorry you'll be absent from this thread, Raquel, although there are plenty of other topics in which you'll be participating. You're going to be missing some excruciatingly dreadful stories (Space Circus! I can't wait!) as well as many more (IMO) gems.

Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
You're going to be missing some excruciatingly dreadful stories (Space Circus! I can't wait!)

I was just wondering where we could find a cheerleader to see us through! And, as if by magic... smile

With the re-reads for Archive 12 drawing to a close, I'll be taking a leave of absence for a couple of weeks.

I'll pop in for Emily's Flash idol, but otherwise I'll be on hols. I hear Ventura is lovely at this time of year.

[Linked Image]

Hope it's a relaxing rest and recharge, Thoth! Upon your return, hope you can delve right back in as a reviewer, even if just one of the rabble!

HWW or FC, up for taking the lead on the next one?
I will be taking a class as well as teaching full-time, so I can't commit to starting the thread or doing timely reviews. I'll be happy to continue chiming in, though.
Vacation, Thoth? I suppose you're going to some 21st century ho-hum Terran locale, when you could be time traveling with us. Enjoy and recharge!

How long is a semester, HWW? Hope to hear you chiming often, nevertheless.

I can be the substitute opening reviewer (or commentator) then until the big guns return and will follow the Tuesday schedule.
Thanks, FC, for stepping up the plate!

My university doesn't have semesters. We're an online institution with classes starting every week. The downside is that I get time off only when I take vacations or some other kind of leave. The upside is, well, just about everything else.
FC, you're the best! Many thanks!
So as we are now on Archive #13, the last “official” Archive, I’d like to again bring up the concept of continuing on past S&LSH #233. The way we would do this would be to “create” our own fictional Archives and start a thread for each one. Thus, for Archive #14, I’d like some feedback on what it should encompass.

Right around the tail end of the current Archive #13 is the JLA / JSA / LSH crossover in JLA #147-148. I’m wondering if we could review this story (as a whole) at the start of the next Archive.

Also, this archive ends at #233 and what comes right after is DC Super-Stars #17 before #234.

So I propose for Archive #14:
- JLA / JSA Crossover in JLA #147-148
- DC Super-Stars #17
- Superboy & LSH #234-236
- All New Collectors Edition C-55 (Tabloid Issue)
- Superboy & LSH #237-245

The only real question is this makes it relatively long. However, #245, the end of Earth War, is a nice place to stop. It’s also the relative end of the Levitz / Sherman end, with Sherman ending a few issues earlier, and Levitz having a few inconsistent more short stories after before his second run. So it pretty much rounds out this next era before Wein, Omega, Conway and Thomas take over.

As always, I will take silence to mean unmitigated support and acquiescence.

(And if this one really becomes a pain in the ass to "run", I will do so. Though I like Thoth or FC doing it! grin)
Sounds good to me.

I appreciate your efforts, Cobie, in putting these stories in order. I had wondered about the DC Super Stars issue, but had no idea when it occurred in the chronology. I wouldn't have thought to review the JLA issues.

We definitely should review the tabloid, as it reflects a major turning point for the Legion.

Thinking ahead, it may not be necessary to create an Archives for the Conway era and some later eras since some review threads already exist for those issues. Perhaps simply updating/continuing those threads would be best solution.

I seem to remember their being sites that have already mapped out potential future Legion Archives, though I'm not finding them with a quick search.
I posted the #234 review before reading Cobie's post about the order of issues, so next Tuesday we can re-begin with JLA #147, if that's okay with everyone, and follow that sequence of issues for Archive 14.

I seem to remember their being sites that have already mapped out potential future Legion Archives, though I'm not finding them with a quick search.

You're right, there was some list - and I thought it had been discussed here, but I'm not finding anything either. Maybe it's the Mandela Effect.
I posted the #234 review before reading Cobie's post about the order of issues, so next Tuesday we can re-begin with JLA #147, if that's okay with everyone, and follow that sequence of issues for Archive 14.

Cramey, you actually posted a review of 224. #234 and the JLA issues are still a ways off. smile
Typo! - or time traveling. I get the two mixed up. wink
Sorry for the delay guys--been traveling for work and just all around busy but will catch up next week on all the reviews I'm behind on.
No sweat, Cobie. We'll keep the thread warm for you.
Cobie, you've got to cut back on these gambling trips to Ventura!
Of course, don't forget your family/friends/Legion Worlders/internet buddies/ Me me me! should you get winnings from one of those Venturan trips.

What's the walking money to Kopin exchange rate?
After #232 are the two Justice League issues (#147-148) with the Legion, JLA, JSA and Mordru. Are we doing those next, and if so, as separate issues or one combined story?
I believe Cobie suggested we do them as one combined story. I'm fine either way.
Hey guys. Am playing catch up this week--sorry for continued lateness!

I would say lets do the whole thing at once. If for just purposes of not stretching out detours for people who might not have physical copies of the issues.

FC, if you're up for it, it'd be great if you kept leading the charge! Your guidance has been much appreciated! We can start a brand new Archive thread starting with this story.

#14 will include:

- JLA / JSA Crossover in JLA #147-148
- DC Super-Stars #17
- Superboy & LSH #234-236
- All New Collectors Edition C-55 (Tabloid Issue)
- Superboy & LSH #237-245
Should we cover #238 next week or skip it? It's a reprint of Adventure #359 & 360 from Volume 7. (Couldn't turn it up in a search, but I assume it was reviewed previously.)
You could pop the cover up, say it's a reprint, and move on. That provides the issue to all of the completest viewers who I'm sure read our posts each week smile
I vote skip it. Even though I didn't review 359-360 in that thread, I want to keep moving forward.
Yups. I figure that I'll comment on them back in Re Reads 7 at some point.
And as we wrap up discussions on the glorious Earth War in our fictional Archive #14, we are now only a few days away from the dawning of our fictional Archive #15! I have been in discussions with our beloved hostess, FC and our dazzling covet artist, Future, and we should be all set to transition smoothly.

As discussed, this 15th Archive has a bit of a natural structure and would include:
- Superboy & LSH #246 - 254
- DC Comics Presents #13
- Superboy & LSH #255-257
- DC Holiday Special (aka DC Special Series #21)
- Superboy & LSH #258-260

So let the great Archive rereading project continue!

And as we near the Space-Circus and Dr. Mayavale, one can only hope EDE returns to read and review these stories at long last!

And as we near the Space-Circus and Dr. Mayavale, one can only hope EDE returns to read and review these stories at long last!

Is a special invitation in order? And should it include a bribe, or could we hire Teeds to threaten the shins?
A combination of all three is certainly in order!
Heads-up:

Even though I had a blast participating in the re-reads and discussions of the Omega and League of Super-Assassins stories, I just can't see myself coming back in an active capacity for any more Conway Era stories. The core of the problem is, given how I thought that the Assassins 2-parter was half-great and half-abysmal, so I don't want to spend good money to read any more of this era, even the more intriguing issues (particularly Blok's origin, and his Legion induction, and the first appearances of Nightwind & Lamprey).

OTOH, I will definitely chime in if and when we re-read and discuss the 3 issues of Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes, which I've owned for about 20 years (and which, IIRC, I originally bought because of my liking for the art style of Dick Giordano, who did the cover inks for issue 1 and the full art on the covers of 2 & 3.) And I'll also chime in on LSH 283, the last Pre-Levitz issue, which is also the secret origin of Wildfire, my favorite male Legionnaire.

Then I figure it'll be about six or seven months of non-participation until we reach the beginning of the Baxter era, for which I'd be happy to join in the fun for the first 35 Baxter issues.

But, as I've said before, even when I'm not posting in the re-read threads, I'm perusing and enjoying what other people are saying in their re-read posts. smile Wildfire ShadowLass
We'll see you lurking in the shadows, then!

Only six months until we reach Baxter? I haven't counted, but it seems more like six years when I think of the issues ahead.
We'll see you lurking in the shadows, then!

Awwww...

ShadowLass LyrissaMallor Darkstar Umbra

Only six months until we reach Baxter? I haven't counted, but it seems more like six years when I think of the issues ahead.

LOL Based on the likes of Superboy & LSH #252 and #254, I admire that you all are willing to soldier on through the entire Gerry Conway Era, with Conway's friend Roy Thomas's Reflecto Saga as the (arsenic) nightcap. You all must have stomachs even stronger than Tenzil's. wink

And when I said six months, I meant six months between the beginning of Levitz Mark 2 (LSH #284) and Baxter.

Altogether, that'd mean about 13 months between this week and Baxter; and factoring in Specials and Annuals and mini-series and such...closer to 16-17 months.

(I guess it's obvious by now that I was raised by a math teacher.) smile
Sorry to not see you post on the rereads. I'd just got back too... Hey, wait a minute...

I'm hoping you'll still add comments/ thoughts as we go. Please do for Reflecto too, just to check that we're still alive if nothing else.

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I guess it's obvious by now that I was raised by a math teacher.) smile

Kid Calculus, Trig Teen, Geometry Girl, Metric Maid, Alge Bra...
Sorry to not see you post on the rereads. I'd just got back too... Hey, wait a minute...

I'm hoping you'll still add comments/ thoughts as we go. Please do for Reflecto too, just to check that we're still alive if nothing else.

I guess it's obvious by now that I was raised by a math teacher.) smile

Kid Calculus, Trig Teen, Geometry Girl, Metric Maid, Alge Bra...

Awwww, thanks, Thoth. smile

Can't wait for Reflecto. That should be a good laugh. nod

Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone tried (as either a piss-take or something genuinely pretentious) to mash up the Legion with Alan Moore's never-completed math-tastic mess-terpiece "Big Numbers"?

lol
Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone tried (as either a piss-take or something genuinely pretentious) to mash up the Legion with Alan Moore's never-completed math-tastic mess-terpiece "Big Numbers"?

lol

In a spooky coincidink I was thinking about Big Numbers earlier on today >gasp!<

Probably off the back of your excellent Bissette thread. I was trying, and failing, to remember the plot. All I could recall was the art and that it was off sized, so it was a pain to find a baggie for it.
Thoth, thank you kindly for the nice words about my Bissette thread. That type of feedback is what makes it worth all the effort. smile

Re: Big Numbers' plot, it actually tackled some worthwhile subject matter: globalization, right-wing politicians out to destroy the common people, the ongoing Americanization of England (and many other places around the world) and its subsequent destruction of (a) unique culture(s.) The problem is, between Moore's ego newly inflated by all the money he'd made from DC, Sienkiwicz going nutty (whether it was hard drug use, or whether Bill was already bonkers without drugs, we'll probably never know for sure), Bill's replacement also going looney-tunes and destroying his own art (very Daffy Duck of him), Big Numbers never stood a chance of cohering, even if it hadn't imploded under all that baggage.

Thanks for the plot. That would have been Al Columbia destroying the art. Jeez, I remember reading about that.

A post DC Moore, tackling interesting subject matter without a bit of spandex in sight. I remember looking forward to it, getting the first issue, almost missing the second and then....nothing... it must have been on my little index card reminder list for ages. smile

Also on my little index card was, of course, the Legion... segueing nicely back into this thread smile
Always glad to be of help, Thoth. smile

Also on my little index card was, of course, the Legion... segueing nicely back into this thread smile

Yes, we wouldn't want to incur the wrath of Teeds, now. lol

Speaking of Teeds, we haven't had any kind of Legion-related post from her for a while, unless I'm forgetting something...
Who needs the Legion when you're getting cat comic covers? smile

There was also a cat in the Legion of Superpets, who we all got to reread earlier in the archives.*

*Is it a conjunction? Is it a theme? No! It's Super Segue Lad!
Meow.
\
\
\
FatCramer

(She said, "Yes, more cat covers, please!")
More Teeds posts on anything please!
Teeds is love love love

(And shin-kicks.)
nod
We're getting to the end of Archives #15. Originally, we were supposed to end it with #260, but this would split up that infamous story.

So should we end #15 with Space Circus Part 2 (#261) or start Archive #16 next week with #260?

For ending Archive #16, what's a good stopping point? Dr. Mayavale (#268) or #271 (the Dark Man)? There's also the one-shot Holiday Special, which unfortunately, we wouldn't get to before Xmas unless we rearrange the order.

Thoughts? Preferences?
FC, where does the Holiday one-shot fall chronologically? For some reason, I thought it took place right around here.

I say let's do #260-261 at the start of the next Archive. (And either end Archive 15 here or with the Holiday special).

For the next Archive bookend, I think 272, where Blok joins the LSH (as follow up to the Dark Man story of sorts) could be a stopping point. But as usual, I'm flexible!

Thinking of the Holiday Special some more...there's no reason we can't read it Christmas week!
The Special had a sale date of December 6, 1979 although its cover date was April 1980. I agree it would be a good one for Christmas week, so we'll slot it in there.

Archive 16 then would be from #260-#272, with the Special reviewed on December 20th.
I was planning on posting about this today! Glad to see the next Archive has been decided. I'll get started on a cover to go with it.
Looking forward to it. Thanks, Future!
Archive 16 then would be from #260-#272, with the Special reviewed on December 20th.

Originally Posted by Future
I was planning on posting about this today! Glad to see the next Archive has been decided. I'll get started on a cover to go with it.

Perfect and perfect!
Hi all! I can't believe how fast we've gotten through Archive 16. Looks like only a few weeks to go.

Where does everyone think a good end point would be for our next fictional archive, Archive 17? When Paul Levitz returns as a solo writer in SLSH #284? Should we include the Secrets of the Legion mini, which takes place after Blok joins per the text pages?
You know, I was thinking of the same thing yesterday! I think that yes, the next fictional Archive should end at the issue before Levitz takes over, and yes, it should include the Secrets of the LSH mini.
So it would then be:

- start with Secrets of LSH mini
- then LSH #273 - 279
- Brave & Bold #179
- LSH #280-283
- end with LSH #283

There is also a Legion team up with Supergirl in Superman Family #207 which I've never read that takes place around LSH #274 that we could include.
Oh, wonderful! I own copies of the Secrets mini (love those Dick Giordano covers) and of LSH 283, being as the latter is an elaboration of my boy Wildfire's back-story. So count me in for the bookend stories in Volume 17. smile
I like that set-up, Cobie! The Supergirl story is neat enough with a minimal role for the Legionnaires and their lore until the end. Definitely some things to talk about though as her first Legion-related appearance in awhile.

DC Comics Presents #43 is next chronologically after Archive 17 / SLSH #283. It's written by Paul Levitz too, so perhaps it can start Archive 18 when the Levitz return is tackled.
This should be great! I'm pretty sure I've never read the Secrets of the LSH mini, the B&B issue or the Supergirl story before.

So, the new reading order will be:

- start with Secrets of LSH mini
- then LSH #273
- then Superman Family #207 (the Supergirl story)
- then LSH #274-279
- then Brave & Bold #179
- then LSH #280-283
- end with LSH #283
YAY! So I'll be jumping back in, for 3 issues at least, right away! This is gonna be such fun!
*Just a reminder that next week we start the next Archive with the Secrets of the LSH Mini #1!
YAY!

Thanks, Cobie.
Looking forward to you chiming in again!

For anyone else that might jump back in, typically FC kicks us off each week on Tuesday!
Heads-Up:

I've been having such a great time with the in-progress re-read of "Secrets of the LSH" that I've decided to expand on my original plan of stopping by once again at the end of Volume 17 to chime in one Wildfire's secret origin in LSH #283.

I'll actually be sticking around for the majority of Volume 18 -- LSH #284-294, to be specific. In other words, I will participate all the way through the end of the Great Darkness Saga.

And then, I'll definitely still be climbing back aboard the Legion Re-Read train with LSH Baxter #1-35. It's also quite likely that I'll chime in on concurrent the Tales of the LSH issues as well, and most definitely on the 2-parter which introduces Lady Memory, whom, in the process of writing her as a recurring villainess anti-heroine in my Retroboot fics for Bits, I have come to regard as Paul Levitz's greatest original creation.
I see I mixed up the order we decided on for Archive 17, should have done the Supergirl story (Superman Family #207) for this week. So I propose we do that next week, if we can manage to survive the suspense of what happened to Jo Nah after he got blasted by the beautiful but fashion-challenged Captain Frake.
Not to worry. No one will notice once we use the Time Bubbles!
No problem and works for me!
Hey, Re-Readers,

Fanfic Lady by any other name here.

Kudos to all of you, especially Cramey, for keeping the Re-Reads rolling along.

A reminder: I'll be joining the Re-Reads from issues 283 (my boy Wildfire's Secret Origin) through 294 (the climax of the Great Darkness Saga.)

Which begins only a couple weeks from now! Squee!
Is it that time again? Looks like Archive 17 is about wrapped. I have the next covers ready but wanted to clarify what we plan on reviewing for this Great and Dark volume known as Archive 18. wink
Sorry not to respond earlier Future. Been swamped in RL.

This is a proposal for Archive 18, open for comment/suggestion:

DC Comics Presents #43
Worlds Finest #284
LSH #284-289
(?) Annual #1

(There's a Best of DC #24 which reprints the Colossal Boy/Tarik the Mute story and a couple other Adventure era stories, with a few new framing pages thrown in. Personally, I'm inclined to skip this, but would like others' opinions.)

The break point is in question, after #289 comes the Annual in which Jacques Foccart is introduced (the Danielle/Computo story). After that, the Great Darkness Saga begins. So I'm inclined to include the Annual in this Archive 18 and have 19 begin with GDS. However, it could be the story to kick off the next Archive, since the GDS story begins with new member Jacques meeting Superboy at Legion HQ.

Thoughts?
Firstly...OOH, I actually do have a copy of DC Comics Presents #43! How could I not, with that beautiful cover by Brian Bolland which foregrounds my girl Tasmia?

Secondly, I think Archive 18 should go past LSH Annual #1, and all the way up to LSH #294, the climax of the GDS story-arc. Otherwise, it would feel a bit short to me.

Those are my 2 cents.
I concur with Fanfie's idea to conclude with the GDS. It would be a short volume otherwise.

I think that will help pace us toward Archive 20 including the start of the Baxter series, which is nice symmetry having a changeover with a milestone number. Granted, it will probably close the volume due to all the major guest appearances to cover before that.
That's good, then. Thanks for your input.

We, the Committee of Three, declare that the Archive 18 will end with #294 and include the following issues:

DC Comics Presents #43
Worlds Finest #284
LSH #284-289
Annual #1
LSH #290-294
We, the Committee of Three

uh oh...

[Linked Image]
^^ That's not the Committee of Three, that's TMK showing their true monstrous selves. tongue

(K is the shark-headed one.) grin
Just made an ebay transaction to complete my archives set (Shout out to Fat Cramer, who got us #5). Got #12, with an added bonus of a Mike Grell Signature. Also picked up the "Superboy and the..." Hardcover. Both are going away for my daughter this Christmas.
Well done Dave!
I had to change the image links to my Archive covers as their original host no longer allows third party linking. Feel free to give me a head's up if they aren't showing up or if something happens to them.

Looking ahead, I thought it would be good symmetry to have the Baxter series start off a new archive much like the Superboy issues in the 70s did. Weighing the chronology, I'm not sure that will work perfectly. We have the following left to review after Archive 18 I believe:

LSH (v2) 295-313
LSH (v2) Annual 2
Brave & Bold 198
DC Comics Presents 59
New Adventures of Superboy 50

23 issues. Splitting them in half would make two pretty light archives. Keeping them together would be too much.

Do we want to take a page from the Great Darkness Saga hardcover and throw a few more issues of LSH into Archive 18? #295-297 let's say, ending with Cos dealing with his mother's murder. We could then toss LSH #312-313 into the Baxter Archive as a lead-in, which would leave 18 issues for Archive 19 to otherwise wrap v2. It's a lot of logistics ... anyone have any thoughts or alternate ideas?
There were some new stories in the Tales of the Legion as it caught up with the Baxter run. Those would have been after 313.
Those would be interspersed with the Baxter issues, though, since Legion treated them as two series running alongside each other, unlike Titans and Outsiders which made the newsprint run flashbacks before the Baxter series.
Ah, yes it would. Remember kids. Don't run into your posts. Take a moment to think it through smile I read "Baxter" and "313" and felt the need to cry out over some of my favs.
How about we keep Volume 18 going up to #300, then Volume 19 could cover #301-313, plus Annual 2 (I admit I've forgotten where it fits in chronologically, because I don't own a floppy-copy), and the 3 books with Legion guest appearances?

As BFOB helpfully pointed out, coordinating the 2 dozen intertwined issues (Baxter 1-12 and ToLSH #314-325) is going to be tricky. Maybe we should let that simmer for a few weeks, then get back to it?
Annual 2 is the wedding of Jeckie & Val, so it logically follows #303.

These archives are fictional, so they could be as long or short as convenient. Not a problem for me to keep going to #300 with this current archive.

I do think the intertwined Baxter-Tales issues should be done together. Would we alternate from week to week? I don't recall offhand if the stories are discreet to each book or if Tales references something going on in Baxter, etc. Look-Up Lad, help! My signal ring isn't working!
Hey guys, just wanted to check in. Life has gotten very complicated and attention-demanding lately. Nothing horrible or Earth-shattering, though the 'owning your own business' stress can be pretty overwhelming and sometimes I feel I have so much on my plate that I can't tell which way is up or down. I hope to get back eventually. In the meantime, I'm thrilled you guys are keeping this going.

And just to chime in: love the idea of V.18 going to 300. And love the idea of intertwining the Baxter and ToLSH issues.
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand

As BFOB helpfully pointed out, coordinating the 2 dozen intertwined issues (Baxter 1-12 and ToLSH #314-325) is going to be tricky. Maybe we should let that simmer for a few weeks, then get back to it?

Having re-read them a while ago, it's not too tricky as Tales ran fairly independently and only tangentially referenced the Baxter series (in a non-spoilery way for those of us who didn't have comic shops and needed to wait for the reprints). You can literally just alternate and it reads fine, and stretches out the LSV War a little.
Hey guys, just wanted to check in. Life has gotten very complicated and attention-demanding lately. Nothing horrible or Earth-shattering, though the 'owning your own business' stress can be pretty overwhelming and sometimes I feel I have so much on my plate that I can't tell which way is up or down. I hope to get back eventually. In the meantime, I'm thrilled you guys are keeping this going.

And just to chime in: love the idea of V.18 going to 300. And love the idea of intertwining the Baxter and ToLSH issues.

I hear you, Cobie. When I was 3, my Dad owned a bakery. By the time I was 4, he'd gone back to being a teacher. Kudos to you for sticking it out like this, and all the very best wishes.

And, of course, as more than one of us have said, it's never too late to chime in. smile
Heads up, Re-Readers,

I just decided a little while ago that if I could review and discuss one Levitz/Giffen/Mahlstedt issue in a civil fashion, then I can review and discuss them all. And, in addition, I'll be extending my stay past my beloved Universo Project, into the awfulness of Death of Superboy, and then all the way to the bitter end of Magic Wars.

Which is a fancy way of saying you're stuck with me for the next two years or so. tongue lol wink grin
Why, He Who! I do declare, you know how to flatter a lady! faint
Huey Lewis does it every time!
Hey, Re-Readers,

I know I've fallen behind in my participation, but it wasn't just the hurricane. Without saying too much so I don't jinx myself, I've been busy creating loads of stuff to contribute to the Bits forum. And hopefully by the second half of the week I'll be ready to return to the Re-Reads...just in time for the big finish to GDS.

What fun.
Question that I'm sure almost everyone in this thread knows...

Okay, so per the REAL archives that physically exist:

Can anyone explain to me why volumes 12 and 13 are so ridiculously expensive and rare on Amazon, eBay, etc?

Is it a simple matter of a small print run? Even with that, it Seems weird that BY FAR the newest ones are hardest to get.

I wouldn't mind so much, except archive 13 apparently ends on the Infinite Man (SLSH#233), one of (IMHO) the best LSH stories ever. Given that the hardcover released this summer starts with SLSH#234, it would seem we are SOL for an archive of #233 without paying out the nose.

given I only plan to buy these for 'convenience' reading (I bought my first contiguous issue from our local variety store comic rack way back at SLSH#219 and kept going from there, but they're in boxes in a closet), it's hard to justify. And Comixology just isn't satisfying..
It's a scarcity thing. 12, 13, 5 & 8 are the four hardest to find. I was fortunate to get 3 of the 4 through special circumstances, but paid through the nose for #12. Keep your eye on ebay, and every now and then one comes by, but it's certainly an exercise in patience.
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
It's a scarcity thing. 12, 13, 5 & 8 are the four hardest to find. I was fortunate to get 3 of the 4 through special circumstances, but paid through the nose for #12. Keep your eye on ebay, and every now and then one comes by, but it's certainly an exercise in patience.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of... and my god, you're right I hadn't noticed #8, it seems perhaps even worse.

I wonder if it is partly a popularity thing? Oh well, it's an excuse to hit some used book shops and hope to get lucky...
I wonder if the new omnibus will catch up? first one apparently covers archives 1-3, so 4 of them would cover through 12... might still leave 13 out, though. frown
We're approaching the end of Archive 18 and I was wondering what we should do with Brave & Bold #198. It has a publication date of May 1983, the same as issue #299.

Skip Brave & Bold, review it before #299, after or after #300? I believe the consensus was to end this Archive with #300, then Archive 19 would comprise #301-313.

Opinions? Preferences? Some apple crumble?
#299 is the second part of a story, so I'd prefer to have it after that. But before #300?
Make it the first issue of the next Archives, that way we can put Batman on the cover and boost sales!
^I like Dave's thinking!
^He's thinking like a DC exec!

After skimming through the next few issues, I think the Brave & Bold issue would be better after #300, in terms of story. Therefore I suggest that we end this current archive with #300 then start Archive 19 with the Brave & Bold #198.

Archive 19 would comprise:

Brave & Bold #198
LSH #301
DCCP #59
LSH #302-303
Annual #2
LSH #304-313

If Future does another set of his wonderful covers, it will be his decision whether or not to put Bats on the cover. wink
Hey, all,

I've returned to Legion World after being away for a couple months (IIRC.) In the interim, I've decided to wait until Baxter #14 to rejoin the re-read.

Basically, it has less to do with Giffen's work on the Legion leaving me unimpressed than with me being extremely offended by a non-Legion work plotted by Giffen (which I won't name, I don't want to publicize it any more than I already am doing) I read for the first time recently. The consequences of curiosity and all that.

So, until we get to "Unto the New Generation..."
Time for the next Archive. This begins the period in which Tales of the Legion and Baxter were published concurrently.

I propose that we cover all the Tales issues (#314-325) as one Archive 20, since I imagine that's how an Archive would collect them (rather than switching between Tales & Baxter). Archive 21 would begin with the Baxter series and include LSH #1 - 8, DCCP #80 , LSH #9 and Legion of Substitute Heroes Special #1.

Comments? Objections? Suggestions?
My only concern is that the Baxter stories took place concurrently with the stories in Tales, so if events in the Baxter series are referred to or impact Tales, it might be confusing. It also might feel a bit disjointed if we jump "back in time" when the Baxter series rolls around.

My suggestion is to alternate reviews of the Baxter series with Tales, as Ibby did with LSH and Legionnaires on his review thread of the reboot. Archive 20 could cover the LSV War (Baxter # 1-5) and the concurrent Tales issues (314-319?). But I yield to the will of the majority. smile
I was going to say that I was a silent majority, but he got bumped off in the Janus Directive. smile

Since I don't have a strong opinion either way...

Pros in keeping them separate: I keep Tales and Baxter in different binders; This would be the order I read them first time round; I don't have to worry about forgetting sunglasses against the Baxter colouring and paper stock.

Cons in keeping them separate: Recent issues have shown there's much more of a direct lead into the Baxter series than I had thought; HWW suggested there might be further crossover information later in Tales; There's something tidy about doing it in the order they were published; I'll get to add paragraphs on what else was going on in the DCVerse at the time, as Crisis arrives.

4-3 to doing alternate issues!

I do wonder at how Legionnaires will appear in Tales considering the threat of the opening Baxter arc. Why wasn't Lyle in the start of Baxter?! Questions, questions...
Alternate issues it is! We can begin next week with Tales #314 (to please the Whatever Happened to Lyle Norg? Fan Club, membership = 3) then LSH #1 and so on, ending with Tales #319.
I'm curious to see how much overlap there was between Tales and Baxter during that year. Last year, I read my Great Darkness and The Curse hardcovers and then followed them up with all of the original Tales run without getting into Baxter. Reading Tales straight thru, I really didn't notice much reference to what was happening in the other series until 325 had Imra basically promoting those stories that were about to be reprinted. I wonder if there are a lot more easter eggs reading the issues intermittently.
I think at some point in the LSV story Wildfire mysteriously disappears so he can join Jacques and Lyle in the demon dimension in Tales. Other than that, I don't remember any direct cross-reference until after the conclusion of the LSV story - the Kol story and the search for the Legionnaires missing in Limbo comes to mind.
Maybe break it up by story instead of alternating issues - the Dark Circle story in Tales, followed by LSV war in Baxter, then Lyle story in Tales, then Mon-El/Shady Talok VIII story in Tales (assuming of course, I have the order of those Tales stories right). Then again, I'm just a lurker, so active participants should do what's easiest and makes the most sense for them.
Next week we move on to Archive #21. Proposed for this volume:

LSH #7 - 12, alternating with

Tales of the Legion #320 - 325

Or do we want to go further? Tales ends with #325 (July), which would take us on LSH to #12, in which big events happen
resignation of the founders & election of Element Lad
. That would be a total of 12 issues.

There's a DC Comics Presents #80, cover month of April (same as LSH #9), with the lost Legionnaires and Superman. Do we want to include it?

The Subs Special #1 is advertised in Tales #325, but I don't think it affects the continuity of the other two books. It could end this volume or begin the next one.

Opinions welcome.
bump
The range of issues you have suggested sounds reasonable and flows well. The only thing with the order is the lost legionnaires are still lost in ToLSH #321 and are back in ToLSH #322. Since they return in LSH #9 we would want to read that before ToLSH #322.

DC Comics Presents #80 is definitely a Legion/Superman crossover story (i.e. costars, not cameo) that fits between LSH #8 and #9. It's nothing spectacular, neither required nor adding anything to the main series. Nevertheless I think it is the last time the Legion interacts with the pre-crisis Superman (outside of Crisis itself) so maybe it is worth including for completeness sake.

As you say the Subs Special could add on here or start the next batch. I don't really mind either way.
The range of issues sounds good to me, too.
Happy to include DC Comics 80. Now that I've been reminded of it, I can go and dig it out of its box.
A fork in the road: next week, should we do Tales #322 or LSH #9?
I had started reviewing #9, but that was just out of sequential habit. If there's any plot reason why it should be 322, I'm like Ethel's cousin Earful Eric.
Agreed. I haven't read ahead. If there's any reason to do 322 first, let's go for it.
For some reason, I just looked at some of the old Archives threads, and it seems to me like Best of DC Digest # 24 slipped through the cracks between volumes 17 and 18.
Was that the one with the new pages framing an older story?
Yes, it was the Tarik the Mute story, with new pages showing new costumes, the HQ and the cruiser. I suggested we skip it (two pages back in this thread) since it was mostly a repeat and no one objected. There was a new story, however. The new costume pages may be viewed courtesy of the Legion of Super-Bloggers and the new story pages are discussed here. In retrospect, we could have reviewed the framing pages without devoting much time to the repeat story. If anyone wants to add it in as an interlude to the current Archive, I'm fine with that.

For next week, we might as well do Tales #322. It's not terribly plot-dependent, but there is a one page Thom & Nura scene which may spill into LSH #9. Otherwise it's all Dawnstar & Brainy on Kol's planet.
I remember seeing the digest on the stands and, since it was mostly a reprint of stories I already had, I didn't buy it. This sort of framing sequence--a blatant attempt to lead into "flashbacks"--doesn't appeal to me. It's of minor significance that one-time Legion villain Tarik the Mute has died. If anyone sees value in reviewing this story, perhaps it can be added on the vol. 17 or 18 thread.
Sorry to change direction but I just read Tales #322 and it should come after LSH #9, since the lost Legionnaires have returned. So this Tuesday we should review LSH #9.
Noted (and already read, for a change smile ).
I thought I should broach this with plenty of notice:

I'm planning to return to the re-read with the issues that coincide with Crisis on Infinite Earths (Baxter 14-18.) What would be the consensus on whether we should leave a sidebar CoIE re-read optional or obligatory? Alternately, if we make it optional, I'd be happy to provide reviews of all 12 issues, since I had already been planning to do so in the Gym'll's forum either way, and anybody would be free to chime in if they want to.

And while we're on the subject of the Legion Re-Read, I'm curious as to whether LSH #325 marks the end of Volume 21, or not.

It goes without saying that I shan't participate in the discussion of the Legion of Substitute Heroes Special, whether it closes 21 or opens 22.
Good to see you back for the new members issue. Not for the nice Lithyl one next issue? The sooner the better.

I had been thinking of adding a Crisis post onto my normal reviews, as I also split out my meanderings down memory lane section. But like a Universo victim, I'm open to suggestions. smile

I last read Crisis when I was putting together my Justice League Detroit thing for Bits. I ended up getting distracted by the giant plot holes in it, and what it would take to fix them. I'll have notes somewhere.
We'll end this volume with the Subs Special, since it was referred to in Tales #325.

Volume 22 proposal: LSH #13 - 20, with the Annual "Who Shot Laurel Kent?" between #15 and #16. That's 9 issues.

There's the 4-issue Legionnaires 3. Do people want to include that in this archive or the next one?

Don't have any particular ideas for Crisis. I had the book out of the library last month but had to return it; I don't remember at which point the Legionnaires (apart from Dawnstar) got involved. So I'll leave it up to thoth, Annfie and whoever else would be reviewing Crisis to decide whether to include it as a postscript to the Archive reviews or set up a separate thread.
Good to see you back for the new members issue. Not for the nice Lithyl one next issue? The sooner the better.

Thank you, Thoth, that is very kind of you to say. I like the Lithyl issue very much (partly because I think it's one of the few Baxter issues that works as a stand-alone,) and I seriously considered coming back with that one. But the New Members issue...that's such a sense of occasion! Also, the New Members issue has a deceptively incidental development involving a female Legionnaire and the mysterious helmet she wears for most of the issue...it is quite meaningful to me. smile

I had been thinking of adding a Crisis post onto my normal reviews, as I also split out my meanderings down memory lane section. But like a Universo victim, I'm open to suggestions. smile

I last read Crisis when I was putting together my Justice League Detroit thing for Bits. I ended up getting distracted by the giant plot holes in it, and what it would take to fix them. I'll have notes somewhere.

Great. I've been enjoying yours and He Who's fan reminisces a lot. Sadly, I have nothing to contribute for any phase of the Legion Re-Read -- my most vivid fan memories don't involve any DC books, but rather Marvel during the apex/nadir of the teeth-grinding era. wink

Hope you find those notes. I'd be interested in learning how you think CoIE could have been improved. Off the top of my head -- leave Supergirl and Huntress alive, dammit! wink
We'll end this volume with the Subs Special, since it was referred to in Tales #325.

Okay.

(I'm struggling to contain my glee at its absence from Volume 22. But I'll stop there.) wink

Volume 22 proposal: LSH #13 - 20, with the Annual "Who Shot Laurel Kent?" between #15 and #16. That's 9 issues.

There's the 4-issue Legionnaires 3. Do people want to include that in this archive or the next one?

I second ending it at Baxter 20, as that means Volume 23 will start out with Sarya leading the Takron-Galtos breakout in Baxter 21.

And I vote in favor of including Legionnaires 3, at the very least so this volume isn't too thin.

Don't have any particular ideas for Crisis. I had the book out of the library last month but had to return it; I don't remember at which point the Legionnaires (apart from Dawnstar) got involved. So I'll leave it up to thoth, Annfie and whoever else would be reviewing Crisis to decide whether to include it as a postscript to the Archive reviews or set up a separate thread.

Thanks, Cramey. After having thought about it for a bit, I favor the postscript approach so that there's no awkward crossing-over between this forum and Gym'll's. (And, yes, anyone who wants to read meta-commentary about event storylines into that last sentence is free to do so.) smile
I don't plan to review Crisis (though that could change), so whatever people want to do is fine by me.

If there is a large interest in reviewing it, perhaps the best choice would be to review it in its own thread, as I did with the Karate Kid series two years ago. This would allow people to discuss each issue (including non-Legion content) in depth. But if the only interest is to comment on the Legion's appearances, then a postscript approach might be best.
I don't plan to review Crisis (though that could change)

Here's hoping. nod

so whatever people want to do is fine by me.

Thanks, He Who.

If there is a large interest in reviewing it, perhaps the best choice would be to review it in its own thread, as I did with the Karate Kid series two years ago. This would allow people to discuss each issue (including non-Legion content) in depth. But if the only interest is to comment on the Legion's appearances, than a postscript approach might be best.

Good point. Now I'm actually leaning towards the separate thread (or, possibly, the Re-Reads thread in Gy'mll's forum?) Which would you prefer, Thoth?
I don't plan to review Crisis (though that could change), so whatever people want to do is fine by me.

If there is a large interest in reviewing it, perhaps the best choice would be to review it in its own thread, as I did with the Karate Kid series two years ago. This would allow people to discuss each issue (including non-Legion content) in depth. But if the only interest is to comment on the Legion's appearances, than a postscript approach might be best.

I second this suggestion. I feel that reviewing Crisis and other events in the Legion archives thread, should be done with a focus on the Legion. In the Reboot reread, I review crossovers the Legion appears in (e.g. Final Night) with a focus only on the Legion's bits. Crisis deserves its own thread: it involves so many more characters than the Legion, and the Legion (besides Superman) is absent for the ending.
Thanks for chiming in, Ibby.
As for Legionnaires 3, perhaps it should be covered in its own thread along with the Cosmic Boy mini-series and any other eventual spin-offs, such as Timber Wolf. Perhaps the thread could be called "Legion Spin-offs" or "Legion Solo Series." Since the story lines don't really overlap with LSH (as I recall), such a thread would allow us to discuss each series in depth without distracting from the reviews of the main series. These reviews could even be added on to the existing Karate Kid thread, though I think it should be kept separate since KK was a regular series and reflects a different era.
As for Legionnaires 3, perhaps it should be covered in its own thread along with the Cosmic Boy mini-series and any other eventual spin-offs, such as Timber Wolf. Perhaps the thread could be called "Legion Spin-offs" or "Legion Solo Series." Since the story lines don't really overlap with LSH (as I recall), such a thread would allow us to discuss each series in depth with distracting from the reviews of the main series. These reviews could even be added on to the existing Karate Kid thread, though I think it should be kept separate since KK was a regular series and reflects a different era.

Good idea. I'll second He Who's suggestion.
Sounds good. We can start a Spin-Off Archives thread when we get to Legionnaires 3. It starts with a cover date of February 86; LSH #20 is dated March 86.

Should this next Archive be a short one with 9 issues or go onto to the Emerald Empress story (#21-#26) for a 15-issue Archive? Or 16 issues, if we want to extend it to Sensor Girl becoming leader in #27.

Legionnaires 3 would come in the middle of this, chronologically, so if we went with a longer Archive, we could either postpone Legionnaires 3 or pause the reviews of this particular Archive.

Decisions, decisions!

Should this next Archive be a short one with 9 issues or go onto to the Emerald Empress story (#21-#26) for a 15-issue Archive? Or 16 issues, if we want to extend it to Sensor Girl becoming leader in #27.

Without reading ahead ( evil ), I would go for wherever there's a natural break--even if it happens in mid story.

Legionnaires 3 would come in the middle of this, chronologically, so if we went with a longer Archive, we could either postpone Legionnaires 3 or pause the reviews of this particular Archive.

Decisions, decisions!

Suspending the main thread sounds good to me. L3 is only a three-issue series, so it might be a good idea to take a three-week break from the Archive and come back to it afresh--like a field trip. smile
Wheeee. A field trip! We can have silly pop song sing-alongs, and press our faces against the bus windows to freak out other people. lol
… and we can go to the Grand Canyon and tell each other our harrowing origin stories... no wait, that was the Titans...

-The Cosmic Boy mini leads straightishly into the Superboy finale doesn't it?
A field trip to the Grand Canyon? Now that sounds like a blast. Nightcrawler

I don't remember the Cos mini-series or the Superboy finale (old brain cells and all that), but, if so, maybe the Superboy finale could be reviewed in the Spin-off thread, as well.
Well, those would be your actual Legion issues as part of that Superboy 4 parter, so it would be mixed up a bit. Was one part in Action Comics and the other in Byrne's Superman? Can't recall, except I was missing a part for years.
Not sure if I should have a say since I haven't been contributing recently, but I can add a bit of information. I know this era well since it was a couple of years into my big collecting period.

Legionnaires 3 has no direct connection or influence on the main LSH series apart from being set in this period so putting it in a separate read-thru works fine.

The Cosmic Boy mini-series is a bit different. Leaving for his 20th Century vacation with Lydda and their return are both referenced in the main book. The end of the mini-series leads directly into the end of LSH #36 and then into the "Superboy Finale". In fact it is because of Rokk's report on his trip that the Legion decides to visit Superboy. The story appears over the 4 issues LSH v3 #37, Superman v2 #8, Action Comics v1 #591, and LSH v3 #38. The effects of the story are long lasting and the direct cause of the later "Conspiracy" story arc.

Just to make things more complicated the CB mini-series also ties into Legends, DC's big crossover event for that year. The opening issue follows on from Legends #1 and #2, with CB appearing in 4 pages of #1 and mostly in the background of #2. While most of the story is readable without Legends, at least one relevant scene appears there.

So CB could be put into a separate reading list ( in fact I didn't read it until years later than the main series) but it is really designed to be slotted in.

Or 16 issues, if we want to extend it to Sensor Girl becoming leader in #27.

Oh and one other thing, in LSH #27 Sensor Girl is not elected as Leader. Many thought that on first reading and it even had to be addressed in a later letter column, but she is actually being elected "for the third time in her career" as a member of the LSH following the revelation of her true identity. Element Lad continues on as Leader through to the next election in LSH #36.
Originally Posted by stile
So CB could be put into a separate reading list ( in fact I didn't read it until years later than the main series) but it is really designed to be slotted in.

That's how I see this one.

Not sure if I should have a say since I haven't been contributing recently...

All are equal...under the iron fist of Nighty... that he hides under a velvet glove...that people would know about if it wasn't covered by a steel gauntlet. Poor guy can barely type with all that on...

Oh and one other thing, in LSH #27 Sensor Girl is not elected as Leader. Many thought that on first reading and it even had to be addressed in a later letter column, but she is actually being elected "for the third time in her career" as a member of the LSH following the revelation of her true identity. Element Lad continues on as Leader through to the next election in LSH #36.

Something else else to look out for.
Thanks for your input, stile. You certainly don't have to participate in the reviews to make suggestions or provide guidance about the issues. Ibby's input on how to deal with Crisis is also appreciated.

I just scan the issues when we're determining what to include in a volume and, knowing that Sensor Girl would be leader at some point, assumed it happened on that final page. Interesting that other people made the same mistake when the issue came out!

It looks like the consensus is to do LSH #13 - 20, break for Legionnaires 3, then return to Volume 22 for #21 - 27. (I'm more inclined to include #27 now since it isn't when Jeckie becomes leader, which would have been the start of a new period.)
Though I've been disinclined to join the V3 "Archives" just because the mood hasn't hit (though I have recently read my Vol 12 & 13 Archives, plus S&LSH Vol 1 and part of Vol 2 HCs), I have found myself gearing up to re-read Crisis in the very near future. So if any of you are up for re-reading CoIE as mentioned, you'd likely have this poster as a participant in whatever form that discussion takes!
Though I've been disinclined to join the V3 "Archives" just because the mood hasn't hit ...

Not even with the new member issue #14? hinty, hint, hint... Fickles is gonna post...
Lardy, I extend you a warm welcome aboard The Good Ship Crisis on Infinite Earth's Re-Read.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I wanted to wait until I knew for certain that the library system had a copy of CoIE on its way for me, and also it took me a while to decide the format. If no one has any objections, I'd like to do the Crisis reviews as a new thread in Gy'mll's (placeholder title: "Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Re-Evaluation.") Meanwhile, the Legion-relevant scenes could be elaborated on in the Legion Re-Read threads in this forum.
Though I've been disinclined to join the V3 "Archives" just because the mood hasn't hit (though I have recently read my Vol 12 & 13 Archives, plus S&LSH Vol 1 and part of Vol 2 HCs), I have found myself gearing up to re-read Crisis in the very near future. So if any of you are up for re-reading CoIE as mentioned, you'd likely have this poster as a participant in whatever form that discussion takes!

Same here, I'm not interested in a Preboot Legion reread BUT would gladly participate in a COIE one!
Fines by me.

Originally Posted by Purser Hebistand
I extend you a warm welcome aboard The Good Ship Crisis

Captain Cramer: Are you sure about this?
Purser Hebistand: Well, calling the last one Titanic didn't work out so well did it? Let's just set their expectations a bit lower this time round.
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Lardy, I extend you a warm welcome aboard The Good Ship Crisis on Infinite Earth's Re-Read.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I wanted to wait until I knew for certain that the library system had a copy of CoIE on its way for me, and also it took me a while to decide the format. If no one has any objections, I'd like to do the Crisis reviews as a new thread in Gy'mll's (placeholder title: "Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Re-Evaluation.") Meanwhile, the Legion-relevant scenes could be elaborated on in the Legion Re-Read threads in this forum.

Sounds good! Got my hardcover volume at the ready!

BTW, I also plan to include a review of the Legends of the DCU CoIE special that was published in '99 with a story that fits between CoIE #'s 4 & 5. I remember enjoying this book a lot when it came out and have been repeatedly irked that it hasn't been included as at least bonus material in all of these fancy "definitive" CoIE collections in the years since. (At least, though, it has been announced recently to be included in one of the upcoming CoIE Companion books coming out soon.)
And...we're off!

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=957801&#Post957801

BTW, I also plan to include a review of the Legends of the DCU CoIE special that was published in '99 with a story that fits between CoIE #'s 4 & 5. I remember enjoying this book a lot when it came out and have been repeatedly irked that it hasn't been included as at least bonus material in all of these fancy "definitive" CoIE collections in the years since. (At least, though, it has been announced recently to be included in one of the upcoming CoIE Companion books coming out soon.)

oh good call. Lardy! I haven’t read the issue per se, but I’ve read the solicitation and a synopsis, and thought it was quite compelling. eager to read your thoughts on it
Heads-up: next week should be the "Who Killed Laurel Kent?" annual. I can't get to it until Wednesday, anyone who wants to proceed earlier, go ahead.
Thanks Cramer. I can't even find #16 let alone the annual. So, I may be a little later anyway.
This actually synchs well for me, as I am occupied with a variety of things at the moment. I was already planning to skip that Annual because the only nice thing I can say about it is that I like Steve Lightle's new cover for the story's Tales of the Legion reprint.

See you all back at the Re-Reads next week, then. Thank you, Cramey.
Just a heads up: After we review the next issue (# 23), I will be taking a break. Some issues in RL need attention, and I need to step back and recalibrate for awhile. I hope to return by the time one of the two issues I mentioned previously reaches No. 1 on my Top 25. (Still no guesses?)
NO

TODAY

Wow, 2013 Peebs was really a little too into the archives re read. Was I evil? Sorry EDEs.
Is it possible to jump in at issue 23, I found it online rather than digging it out.
It's Adventure 24/7!

coolest post ever?
Peebz, you can certainly jump in at any time.

Wow, 2013 Peebs was really a little too into the archives re read. Was I evil? Sorry EDEs.

I dropped out ages ago myself! Super-cool that others are continuing the re-read, though!
Anyone can jump in anywhere, anytime. It's a magical timestream thing.

I see above that we were thinking of doing Legionnaires 3 after #20, but I blew right by it. Not too inspired by Legionnaires 3! I'd suggest we cover it after this volume finishes i.e. after #27.

Some of these issues have turned out to be better than I remembered, so Legionnaires 3 may surprise.

And HWW - we'll look forward to your return! Don't let the RL Monster gobble you up.
I wasn't a huge fan of Legionnaires 3 either, so I'm not distraught at it being pushed back.

And like an Echo vs Echo Chamber Chet contest in the Alpine Valley of the Echoes, I'd like to reiterate that anyone should jump in with comments, memories or on specific plot points.
I read most of 23 already ... so much art and so much text. These older books are so jam packed.
^Sad commentary on the state of modern comics? smile
In addition to Peebs Points* The first issue of Electric Warriors had as many pages as Baxter #23. But rather than pay for more of the main feature, they shoved in several pages of what looks to be a pretty dull run on Aquaman. shrug

*Points of Peebs will be a new show on LWTV in the Spring!
Peebs Points sounds more to me like a feature that would have run in Direct Currents in the 70s when DC was desperately trying to recreate Stan Lee’s style.
Soon time for the next chapter in the re-reads. We were going to take a side trip to do Legionnaires 3, but not as an Archive, as a mini-series/extras thread.

The next re-read group would thus be: Legionnaires 3 (4 issues). There's an excursion into Booster Gold referred to in LSH #27, but I don't have those issues. If someone wants to review them, that's fine.

After Legionnaires 3, we'd start the next Archive, volume 22, which would include the 1986 Annual #2 (with Validus) and LSH # 28 - 35.

After that, the Cosmic Boy mini (4 issues) could be covered. LSH #36 has a scene which is the aftermath of that mini-series, so it should be covered before we begin Archive 23.

Comments, opinions, suggestions?
Sorry for chiming in so late, Cramey.

I'm fine with you all doing Legionnaires 3, but I don't own copies, and, TBH, it doesn't interest me enough to spend money on (even online.)

On a brighter note, I enjoyed discussing 25-27 so much that I flipped through the issues which immediately precede the Universo Project (which technically starts in #32,) and I saw more good stuff that I'd remembered, so I'm definitely in for Volume 22.

Agree about doing #36 before Cosmic Boy mini.
Legionnaires 3 is finished so next week we start Archive 22.

1986 Annual #2
LSH #28 - 35

All welcome to participate!
Count me in! "The Universo Project" at last -- YAY!

SaturnGirl Brainiac5 ChameleonBoy DreamGirl

===========================================

Universo

People are busy! Would anyone like to move the Archives Re-Read schedule to every two weeks, or leave it at weekly? I think it helps to aim for a specific schedule to keep the Re-Read moving forward, but we can certainly slow it down if participants would prefer that. Opinions?
I am flexible to the needs and wishes of the other participants, but here -- for what they're worth -- are my two cents:

I think we should keep it weekly for a few more weeks, and change the original plan -- following the Universo Project with the Cosmic Boy mini-series (which I don't own and have no real interest in reading) -- to instead reading Death of Superboy: prologue in 36, then 37 and 38 (plus the Superman tie-ins, which I can easily post as bonus sidebar reviews the same weeks as 37 and 38, since I own the Man of Steel v.4 trade which collects the entire DoS arc.)

Then, having wrapped up DoS, we could go bi-weekly from then on, starting with Cosmic Boy 1-4 (as a sort of sidebar/flashback to the just-read DoS), then resuming the monthly with 39.

Because, to be honest, while DoS is, in and of itself, a decent read, the repercussions for the Legion Baxter series were devastating, and the final 24 issues of the monthly (plus sundry Annuals) are such a depressing slog that trying to do one every week would feel uncomfortable to me, personally.
I will probably continue to read and review clusters of issues as I have been doing--an entire arc at a time, rather than individual issue. I'm fine with whatever schedule is adopted.
The longer they are spaced apart, the quicker I'll be able to catch up. Annuals and spin offs all help there smile

Real Life has really gotten in the way of late. I'm hoping to catch up shortly, but then may be delayed again.
I'm slacking. Tired & taking this week off. Plan to do the Cosmic Boy mini in one shot (inspired by HWW's approach) next week, then back to regular programming.

I suspect I'm not too inspired by the Rokk & Lydda show... but we'll see.
Nice to be somebody's inspiration! smile

Enjoy the rest, Cramey. You've earned it.
I echo He Who's sentiments, Cramey.

And I'm happy to report that I'm a lot more psyched about the "Greatest Hero of Them All" 4-parter than I expected. Do you have the Superman and Action Comics tie-ins? Because if not, my offer to review them still stands.
I'll take you up on the offer to review the Superman and Action comics, Annfie, since I don't have them.

For the next Archive, #23, I propose the following issues:

LSH 37 - 39, Annual #3, LSH #40 - 43. That takes us to the end of the Laurel Kent Manhunter story.

Millenium happens around this time, but that's another series I don't have. Apart from Laurel's story, does it have any involvement with the Legion?

Comments, suggestions always welcome.
Nope Millennium had no other effect on the Legion.

(For that matter apart from the Manhunter reveals it had very little effect on the DC Universe as a whole and seemed to be quickly forgotten.)

That batch makes sense to me, and I look forward to Annfie's review. Being a Superman fan I do have the crossovers and would like to see others viewpoints.
I'm also in agreement with your proposed bunch of issues, Cramey. And I'm glad to be of service RE: the Superman/Action tie-ins. Thanks, too, Stile, for the kind words -- I look forward to your perspective as well.
I've got some very good news and some mildly bad news:

First, the good -- I have flipped through the next six issues (40 to 45) and found them far more enjoyable than I'd remember (yes, folks, even the Millennium tie-ins. eek grin ) Plus, 45, the 35th Anniversary Lightning Lad/Luck Lords issue, has great sentimental value to me for reasons I'll elaborate on when we get to it. So what I'd like to propose, is that maybe I could give Cramey a well-deserved six weeks off from doing the lead review for the Re-Reads?

Next, the bad -- after 45, I myself am going to take six weeks off from participating in the Re-Reads, because nothing has changed, or ever will change, my opinion that Conspiracy is one of the worst Legion stories ever published, and arguably did more harm overall than even the Pocket Universe stuff.

I will rejoin with issue 51 and stick around all the way through End of an Era and into the Postboot, but Conspiracy...no, just no.
Excellent! I'm looking forward to your lead reviews, especially since I have bad memories of the Lightning Lad/Luck Lords issue! And the funny thing is, good memories of Conspiracy, despite some of its glaring flaws.

And if you can make it through End of an Era without gagging, you're a stronger woman than I am.
Yay! Thanks, Cramey! Have a cup of coffee on me. FatCramer
Heads up, Legion Worlders.

Volume 23 has reached its appointed end with LSH Baxter 43.

I will continue to write the lead review for the next two issues, which means that, unless anyone has objections, I will begin the thread for Volume 24 next week.

I propose that Volume 24 cover:

LSH Baxter 44-49, LSH Baxter Annual 4, and LSH Baxter 50. That'll bring us to the parallel endings of both the Conspiracy arc and the ongoing Starfinger arc.

Thoughts?
Chiming in even though I have been absent from the readthrough the last few weeks (I do intend to catch up).

Sounds like a good set to me.

Other possibilities include:

Secret Origins #25 which was published about the same time and includes yet another retelling of the team's origin, this time from Brande's perspective.

The Wanderers began in this period. I have them but they never really grabbed me much. Can't remember much past the first issue.

Who's Who in the Legion. This 7 issue series was published then as well. Not much story content of course, but lots of interesting trivia. Bit much for a read through probably.
Glad to hear you intend to catch up, Stile. And thanks for the thoughts.

Secret Origins #25 sounds intriguing, but I don't own a copy. Of course, that shouldn't stop you, and anyone else here who does have a copy, from reviewing it. I'm in favor of including it. What's the cover date?

I have neither owned nor read a single issue of the Wanderers. In LSH Baxter #42, Polar Boy quite blatantly plugged the guest-appearances of several Legionnaires in an early issue of Wanderers, but I don't remember if there was a footnote with the issue number.

Who's Who in the Legion is fun to dust off and peruse every once in a while, but I don't think it should be included in the Re-Read, due mainly to the low story content you mention.
The Wanderers fight/team-up with Wildfire, White Witch and Lightning Lass in issue #3 but that is their only appearance or involvement in the 13 issue series. I am not sure if I ever read all the issues myself. I seem to remember feeling that the best thing about it was a few of the covers. So even I don't have much motivation to cover it. Cover date is August 1988, same month as LSH 49.

Secret Origins vol 2 #25 has a cover date of April 1988. This puts it the same month as LSH v3 #45. I am happy to review it in the week after 45 or maybe just later in that week if few others have it. (No point delaying everyone else for a week if I am the only one with a copy.)
Let's include Secret Origins since stile86 has a copy (I might as well, haven't checked - but don't remember it). Ann's selection of issues for the next volume looks good. Thanks for lining this up!

I've been swamped with things IRL and will be through next week, but will get back to the re-read after that.
Thank you, Cramey, for being able to make enough time to put in your 2 pence. Looking forward to seeing you back in a couple weeks!

So I'm thinking this reading order would work best:

LSH Baxter 44-45, Secret Origins 25, LSH Baxter 46-49, Annual 4, and 50.
Sounds good
Stile, do you want to cover Secret Origins this week?
Sure. Have it half ready now. Should be able to post it tomorrow.
Hey, everybody,

Granted, we are all busy people, but since we are in the middle of the Conspiracy/Starfinger overlap storyline, and I won't be returning to the Re-Read until we reach Baxter Issue 51, I ask that any of you who can find a minute of free time please chime in.

Let's not let this grand project stall when we're in the final stretch of the Baxter Era.

After all, the 5YL Era is next, and while I remain ambivalent at best about that era, I'm still going to participate to the bitter end of the Preboot (and beyond), because I know 5YL has many passionate and articulate fans whose posts I will undoubtedly learn something from.

And because I believe in this Re-Read!
Thanks for keeping us going Ann. I know I haven't been keeping up the last few months and regret that. I too want the reread to continue and will try to participate more. Unfortunately I am away from my collection for the next two weeks but will work on getting back to it after that.
Slacking because summer.... I'll get to the next issue this week.
Um...I guess it's because I rarely re-read the later issues of the Baxter Era, but just a couple days ago I was leafing through issues 51 and 52 in anticipation of rejoining the Re-Reads, when I discovered that Annual 4, which I had assumed took place simultaneously with issue 50 and had scheduled right between issues 49 and 50, actually doesn't take place until right after issue 52! Oops!

blush

Here's my proposal for a revised schedule, and also, while I'm at it, my suggestions for Volumes 25 and 26 to close out the Baxter Era:

Volume 24: Currently covering issue 49, it would continue through issues 50, 51, and 52.

Volume 25: Annual 4, issues 53-56

Volume 26: Issues 57-63.

Thoughts?
I know people are attached to the format you’ve been using, but if enthusiasm is flagging and people are anxious to get to v4, maybe covering an arc a week instead of savoring issue by issue would be in order? Less likely to stall out that way. And it’s easier to find something to say about a complete storyline you aren’t necessarily enthused about than chapter 2 of 4 of that same story.

And we could always slow it back down for Magic Wars, which I’m sure we’ll have a lot more to say about.

Either way, I’ll try to come back in with issue 50. I had been waiting for v4 since my last stall-out, but I want to help keep the engine running.
That sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks, BFOB. What do the rest of you think?

One caveat: I would like to do an individual review of issue 56 (with Blok solo on the cover,) because that's the second of the two Baxter issues that has great sentimental value to me (the other being 45, the multiple-artists 30th Anniversary special, which we discussed a few weeks ago (and, as ever, anyone is free anytime to chime in on any past issues.)
I'm not particularly committed to an issue a week, so story arcs are ok with me.

#50 could be stand alone, since it's longer or combine 50-52 in one week. 1 or 2 weeks.

Then knock out Annual 4, 53-55 together (all aftermath of the Conspiracy) and 56 solo if Annfie has a preference for that. 3 weeks.

The next batch could be 57-59, then Magic Wars 60-63 (individually or as a group?). 2 - 5 weeks.

If people are coming back for V.4, would someone else like to take the lead?
Thanks, Cramey.

I think we should combine 50-52 into one week, but I'm flexible.

The rest of your ideas as fine with me, and, again, I'm flexible.

But I'm afraid I'll have to turn down taking the lead of Volume 4/Five Years Later. Partly because I crapped out when I was doing the lead during the Grell era, and I've had to admit to myself I'm not reliable about leading these long-term kind of projects. And partly because I think the lead should be taken by someone who is less predisposed to focus on the negative aspects of FYL.
I saw Ann's message in the Shoutbox and was curious is Postboot re-read is being planned? For me, it would be my first time reading those comics, but since most of them seem to be on DC Universe, I would be willing to participate. Maybe I can offer a neutral point of view?
I’m afraid I’ve also learned the hard way that when I try to run projects like this, they sputter out quickly
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I saw Ann's message in the Shoutbox and was curious is Postboot re-read is being planned? For me, it would be my first time reading those comics, but since most of them seem to be on DC Universe, I would be willing to participate. Maybe I can offer a neutral point of view?

Emily, I apologize if I accidentally created any confusion. What I said in the Shoutbox was that August 2019 marked the 25th Anniversary of the Postboot, and that had inspired me to re-read select issues.

It's actually going to be a while before we get to the Postboot in this Re-Reads project. The next upcoming era is the Five Years Later Era, which comprises the first 61 issues of LSH Volume 4 and the first 18 issues of Legionnaires. The Postboot starts with LSH Issue Zero and Legionnaires Issue Zero, then immediately picks up where the previous numbering left off.

Of course, we'd love it if you participated in the Re-Reads of both eras, and beyond!
If someone wants to cover the next issue in the re-reads (#57), please go ahead. (We got hit by hurricane Dorian and just got power back after 8 days, dealing with lots of tree damage, so no time this week.)
Wow. Sorry to hear that, Cramey.

Would it be okay if I covered 57-59 (the Emerald Empress 2-parter plus the Lyle/Condo flashback issue) all at once?
Hey Cramey. Hope the damage wasn't too heartbreaking. Sometimes its just stuff but others its things that were important. Best wishes for the cleanup.
Sorry to hear that. I helped a friend clean up after Katrina, and I know how hard that was on her.
Thinking ahead...

Cramey, I am willing to deputize for you with the lead reviews for however long it takes to get your house back in order. I know that earlier I expressed reluctance to do the lead reviews for the 5YL issues, but I am willing to do even that if needs be. Of course, if someone else wants to take over the 5YL reviews at some point, by all means stand up and be counted.

Unless there are any objections, I think it would be best for us to do all 4 issues of Magic Wars at once, next week.

Then we can do a one-week hiatus, both to catch our collective breath and because the first week of October everybody's going to be posting about Legion Millennium #2 anyway.

Finally, the second week of October would see the beginning of Volume 26 and LSH v.4 issue 1.
If someone wants to cover the next issue in the re-reads (#57), please go ahead. (We got hit by hurricane Dorian and just got power back after 8 days, dealing with lots of tree damage, so no time this week.)

hug Cramer. I hope everything returns to normal as it can be as soon as possible for you.
I'll be able to pick up with Magic Wars next week. Good to take a one week break before plunging into 5YL.

Thanks for the good wishes. Nothing drastic happened, nobody hurt, just a lot of mess to clean up.
Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as we thought, Cramey.

Glad, too, that you'll be back this coming week. But whenever you need someone to deputize for you again, I'm there.
A reminder that next week will be a perfect jumping-on point for the Re-Read, as we are going to be covering the 1st issue of LSH v.4/The 5 Year Gap Era.
If you'd like to read all the massive spoilers that were put into Amazing Heroes before v4, you can find details here.

I'm going to read v4 fresh, then have a look later myself.
Looking at where we might end Volume 26. There aren't any really clear breaks in the story, but#11 (Tenzil for the Defense) looks like a good last issue for this volume. #12 and 13 have the Quarantine story, so I don't see #12 as a natural point to end the volume.

Any suggestions, opinions welcome!

(I just read through those Amazing Heroes pages which thoth provided. They sure did give a lot of spoilers! I'm kinda glad I didn't read them at the time, it was more fun trying to figure out what was happening issue by issue.)
While #12 has a bit of the Quarantine story, I think most of it is concluding the return of the Legion? There's a big splash page and everything. So, I'd have had #12 in Vol 26.
I would vote 12 as well. I think the scuttled hardcover that was supposed to collect the beginning of 5YL was going to go thru either 12 or 13, by the way.
I would vote 12 as well. I think the scuttled hardcover that was supposed to collect the beginning of 5YL was going to go thru either 12 or 13, by the way.

Some research shows it was supposed to collect 1-12 and Annual 1.
12 thirded.

Some research shows it was supposed to collect 1-12 and Annual 1.

Eh? When was this?
It was supposed to come out this summer. But when DC decided to cut back on their collection releases, this book was one of many casualties.
Amazon still lists it but with a release date of 2080 (rather more than five years later).

you can find it if you search for "Legion of Super-Heroes: Five Years Later Vol. 1"
Thanks, guys.
Alas for that collection; I was disappointed that it was cancelled. Or put off until 2080.... cool to think of the Legion still being read in 2080, but we still read Sherlock Holmes, so why not?

We'll end this volume with #12 then. Thanks for the input!

Also, I figure we could do one issue a week for the time being, given the density of each issue. We might want to cover The Quiet Darkness as a single arc and possibly combine some of the later (ahem! crappier) issues in multiples, but that's down the road.
Originally Posted by Cramey
Also, I figure we could do one issue a week for the time being, given the density of each issue.

I fully agree.

We might want to cover The Quiet Darkness as a single arc...

Oh, definitely! I think "Silent But Deadly" would've been a more apropos title for that stinker!

...and possibly combine some of the later (ahem! crappier) issues in multiples, but that's down the road.

"The Terrible Mosaic" would be unbearable if we didn't combine it into at least two or three multiples.

Sorry, I'll keep the little devil in me at bay until the appropriate time.
I looked through issues going forward re: where to put the Annual. It had a September date (according to the internet, I couldn't find a date on the issue itself) so that would put it concurrent with #11. However, the content stands on its own enough that it could be addressed after #12 (the end of this Archive) or even start off the next volume.

Any preferences? After #11, after #12 or starting Volume 27?
I would say keep volume 26 through issue # 14. Issues 12 and 13 feature the introduction of Kent Shakespeare, and a semi-helpful attempt to reconcile the continued existence of Superboy and the Time Trapper with Valor and Glorith in Legion history. Issue 14 is effectively a continuation of issue # 11, and pretty much features Tenzil's return to the Legion, at least in intent. At this point, you have the stage primarily set for the next two years or so of Legion stories, and there are no specific story threads cut off by breaking between issues 14 and 15.
Oh, and I'd put Annual # 1 to review either right before or right after issue # 8, since they're effectively flip sides of the same story - one ends with the disappearance of Tinya, and the other begins with the appearance of a certain Durlan.
Thought about this and like the idea to do the Annual next instead of following published chronology. In any published collection, it would establish a solid base to explain to readers just what was going on with this new timeline.
Okay, we've got Volume 27 on the horizon, and I consider the first few DTMK issues ("D" as in new editor Dan Raspler) to be the high point of this era, even though the creators found Raspler's sensibilities to be "too mainstream," or whatever.

So I'm pretty pumped.

How's about we cover issues 13-20, with Adventures of Superman #476-478 right in between 18 and 19, and somewhere in there we can fit Annual 2 (the Valor spotlight...what, another one so soon?)

Cramey, if you don't have the Superman tie-ins, I'll be happy to review them.
Great, you do the Superman issues, Ann & thanks. (I don't have them and had to look up what they were about.)
You're very welcome, Cramey. It's always fun to deputize.
Heads-Up:

After next week, when I participate in the discussion of LSH v4 #18 and, as promised above, review the Adventures of Superman tie-ins which lead into issue 19...I'm taking a long hiatus from the Re-Reads. Most likely until we reach the Postboot.

I feel that I've gotten far too negative and too obviously disdainful, and I worry that perhaps it is becoming off-putting to other Legion Worlders.

There's just no way around it -- I don't like TMK, as creators or as people. But I had initially hoped that maybe I would come away from the Re-Read with greater respect and appreciation for their efforts.

Nope. Didn't happen.

I tried. And I don't know what else to say.

What I really hope is that...perhaps other people, who can appreciate and respect TMK more than I can, will start chiming in. As great as Cramey's and Thoth's reviews are, it would be nice to see other Legion Worlders adding extra spice to the mix.

This is Annfie, signing off. See you after End of an Era.
Next week is #20, then Annual #2 (Valor's story).

The next volume begins with the 4-issue Quiet Darkness. Any objections to doing all 4 issues in one week ? I scanned through and don't feel like there's that much of a story to occupy a month.

Volume 28 would comprise #21 - #31 and Annual #3 (Timber Wolf).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Coffee?
Taking a break next week, then Volume 28. I'm going to do The Quiet Darkness (4 issues) as one, simply because it's one of my least favourites of the 5YL era and I don't want to drag it out over a month.
Next volume 29: propose issues 32 to 38. It's short, but 38 is the end of Earth. Open to suggestions, comments.
Well, if the planet I'm on gets blown up, it's going to be hard to review #39.
That's a very short volume. Alternate suggestion: through LSH # 41, which leads into the Legionnaires series, plus Legionnaires 1-6, the Fatal Five story.
Originally Posted by CMK
Alternate suggestion: through LSH # 41, which leads into the Legionnaires series, plus Legionnaires 1-6, the Fatal Five story.

This sounds good. I was wondering what to do with the Legionnaires run, whether reviewed entirely separately or mixed in with LSH issues.

Originally Posted by thoth
Well, if the planet I'm on gets blown up, it's going to be hard to review #39.

You've been given advance warning. Evacuate to Ventura.
After next week, we start Volume 30. I propose we go back to the LSH book and see what the old folks are up to.

This would include LSH #42-48, plus Annual #4 - which I believe comes before #48. This wraps up the Mordru/Mysa/Amethyst story.

Can't say I'm particularly fond of these issues and never even read Annual #4, part of the Bloodlines series with the dreadful Jamm, so it will surely be a journey of discovery.

Any comments, suggestions about the issues to be included are welcome.
I suggest we do these issues (most of which are the Mysa vs Mordru story arc) as we did The Quiet Darkness, The Magic Wars, and Conspiracy. Just one big multi-issue review. Maybe so that the whole volume isn't just one review, we can tack on individual reviews of 49 (Tenzil) and 50 (T + M's last.)
IIRC, Annual # 4 takes place between issues 44 and 45.

I think this is a good plan, but I'd go all the way to issue # 52, which is the last one after the big shakeup/Legion on the Run story. Maybe also pull in Legionnaires 7 & 8, which are standalone stories; that sets up Legion on the Run and the Legionnaires run from 9-15 (which had plots continuing from one issue into the next) as a reasonably-sized (maybe just a little large) final volume before End of an Era.
As someone who tries to keep up with the rereads but often doesn't, either idea sounds fine but could I make a small suggestion?

In the first post of the new thread could you list the issues that will be covered in this "volume"? Also if you could put a link to previous re-reads threads it would be helpful.

Just a thought. I really appreciate you keeping this alive.
I'm good to go to #52 and add legionnaires 7 & 8. We can combine some issues in the Mordru arc, but I don't think I can personally handle doing 42-48 all at once. Maybe two chunks, I'll take a look at the issues this weekend.

Good suggestions stile, I tend to forget what's supposed to be included in each volume myself. The initial post can state the volume contents and include the links.
We can combine some issues in the Mordru arc, but I don't think I can personally handle doing 42-48 all at once. Maybe two chunks, I'll take a look at the issues this weekend.

Fair enough, Cramey. It really is a painfully bad story-arc, to say nothing of overlong!
So are you guys going to start the Postboot simultaneously while finishing the 5YL issues? If so, I think I can participate as I have a DCU subscription I rarely use. As Jim Sterling says, "I really should read more books."

As for Mysa, I hate how Giffen removed her sense of agency. I could see her allying with Mordru due to her love of power, but she seems far too willing. The Retrobott retcons did her character a great service.
Emily, I'd see us wrapping up 5YL along with the Legionnaires series that ends with Zero Hour (Legionnaires #18 and there's an Arthurian Annual in there as well), then beginning new volumes with the Postboot with LSH and Legionnaires #0.

Ibby's already done extensive reviews of the postboot issues, so maybe something can be worked out by revisiting his thread.

I looked at combining the issues for V.30: #42 is stand-alone (Luornu's story), then maybe #43-45 combined, #46-48 combined, #49-50 (a lot of Tenzil), #51-52, and Legionnaires #7 (Atlantis) and #8 (Colu), separately. The Legionnaires issues could be put at the end or interspersed with the LSH stories.
Okay, now I am confused because Legionnaires as presented on DCU is the Postboot Legion starting in 1993, correct? Is the Legionnaires you are referring to cataloged under a different name?
Emily, Legionnaires was set in the preboot thru issue 18, which was the title's last Zero Hour crossover. At that point it featured the younger Legion team introduced as "Batch SW6" during the 5 Years Later era. It was relaunched as the reboot with zero issues after Zero Hour but kept the numbering. From 19-on it was reboot continuity. Why they didn't just relaunch with new number ones is inexplicable.
I shall just review whatever Cramer puts up first.

Please we didn't go for a huge chunk of issues. Sometimes, there's enough in each issue that I want to super-rabbit on about each. On the other hand, I could have used one review for all of the Terra Mosaic, as it turned out.

I'm not sure how many more Legionnaire issues I have. I know I didn't read them all at the time.
Archive Index

Archive Volume 01 , Archive Volume 02 , Archive Volume 03 , Archive Volume 04

Archive Volume 05 , Archive Volume 06 , Archive Volume 07 , Archive Volume 08

Archive Volume 09 , Archive Volume 10 , Archive Volume 11 , Archive Volume 12

Archive Volume 13 , Archive Volume 14 , Archive Volume 15 , Archive Volume 16

Archive Volume 17 , Archive Volume 18 , Archive Volume 19 , Archive Volume 20

Archive Volume 21 , Archive Volume 22 , Archive - Cosmic Boy & Legionnaires 3 , Archive Volume 23

Archive Volume 24 , Archive Volume 25, Archive Volume 26 , Archive Volume 27

Archive Volume 28 , Archive Volume 29
That index is great! Thanks for always going that extra mile, Thoth.
Thanks for doing the first dozen in an earlier thread, so I could pinch them from you, Fickles. smile
Anytime. smile
Thanks for the links Thoth.
Thanks, Thoth! I'll include this as the new Volume's first post.
Just noticed last night that I blew by the Archive limit for the current volume, which should have ended with LSH #52 and Legionnaires #7-8.

I doubt it's a huge deal, but I'll fix it next week, I'm just snowed under with deadlines this week. We can do Legionnaires 7 & 8 together next week, #7 is mostly an underwater romp, then get onto the next volume.
No worries, Cramey.

I'm wondering if the next volume should be extra-long -- LSH #53-61, L* #9-18, and the Valor tie-ins to End of An Era (can't remember the issue numbers at the moment?) It is, after all, the final Preboot volume. I'm also wondering if we should start over from Volume 1 for the Postboot.
I picked Valor issues in a bargain box a while back. So, if I didn't have them before, I do now. Not sure how far my Legionnaires issues go. I do have the End of an Era ones.

If we're going to start a relaunched review thread for '90s comics, will we have to have seven versions of the thread and a holographic one?
If we're going to start a relaunched review thread for '90s comics, will we have to have seven versions of the thread and a holographic one?

LOL lol
For the next volume, I'm not sure how to proceed. It should start with #53 and 54 (already covered - I'll move them over to the new thread) and I'm okay with going right through to the end.

However, I don't know how best to manage it. We'll have LSH 55-61, and Legionnaires 16-18 tie in directly to End of an Era. Legionnaires 9 - 15 are separate from the LSH book, as far as I can see after glancing through them.

I haven't looked at the Valor books yet, I don't really want to add in the entire Valor run at this point.

So I'm looking at LSH 55-58, Legionnaires 16, LSH 59, Legionnaires 17, LSH 60, Legionnaires 18, LSH 61. But where should we put Legionnaires 9 - 15? Interspersed with LSH (and possibly combining some of them to catch up with the LSH book) or covered separately?
I'm happy enough going to the end of this run.

If there are Valor issues that are part of a multi-part End of An Era, I'll probably be reading them along with Legion & Legionnaires.

Possibly then do Legionnaires 9-15 and any Valor ones you like, prior to the post boot launch?
The Valor issues up to #10 are largely stand-alone and unconnected to 30th Century.

Valor #11 starts the DOA storyline which directly involves some of the Legionnaires (young group) and goes through to #17, then #18 and #19 deal with a different Valor, Glorith and a few legionnaires, and #20 to #21 wrap up that Valor and Glorith story. This all happens in the middle of Legionnaires #16 pages 10-11. The final two Valor issues #22 and #23 are set in the 30th Century and are part of End of an Era.

Legionnaires #9-15 are separate but all occur before the End of an Era so reading them afterward would feel a bit weird. If they are not read then the Legion read would be incomplete. Awkward.

Both LSH and Legionnaires have annuals in there as well although both are effectively Elseworlds stories (Legionnaires is just that wheras LSH is a bedtime story told by Vi to the rapidly de-aging Ayla probably between LSH #57 and #58).

L.E.G.I.O.N. #68-70 each include a few pages of Jo Nah tracking down Phase after he leaves to do so in LSH #59. Possibly someone (me perhaps) could share those few pages in the thread at the appropriate time.

Finally the original Superboy appears in Valor #23 before disappearing and reappears in Superboy v3 #8 to interact with the young clone Superboy. Legion gets a brief mention but it does tie in with Supes appearing in both.

So if all of these were to be read I think they would go (using Cramey's order as a base):

Legionnaires #9-#15, Annual #1 (if everyone wants to read them)
LSH #55-57, Annual #5, LSH #58
Legionnaires #16 (timelines begin to shift)
Valor #11-#21 (DOA, Glorith and Aftermath)
LSH #59
L.E.G.I.O.N. #68-70 (Jo Nah and Phase)
Legionnaires #17 EOAE1
Valor #22 EOAE2
LSH #60 EOAE3
Legionnaires #18 EOAE4
Valor #23 EOAE5
Superboy v3 #8
LSH #61 EOAE6

That's 33 comics (excluding L.E.G.I.O.N. #68-70), too much for a single volume. Maybe break them into two or three?
1 - Legionnaires/LSH carry on - Legionnaires #9 through to LSH #58 (15 issues with LSH 53-54 inserted)
2 - Time starts to break - Legionnaires #16, Valor #11-21, LSH #59 (13 issues)
3 - End of an Era (7 issues with Superboy crossover)
Thank you so much for working all that out!

I'd say for the next volume we knock out the Legionnaires 9-15, then pick up 55-58, with the 2 Annuals at the end, since they're Elseworlds.

For the volume(s) after that, anyone have thoughts on including L.E.G.I.O.N. and the #11-21 Valor issues? I remember Valor being a crashing bore (haven't looked at it since it came out), but it might be worth a re-read.
I like that set for the next volume.

Regarding the L.E.G.I.O.N. issues, unless people want to read what was happening to Dox and cohorts at this point in their tale
L.E.G.I.O.N. is becoming more fascist, Dox's son mounts a coup and the central team become outcast leading into R.E.B.E.L.S.
I suggest just posting the handful of pages from those issues that involve Jo and Phase (#68 3 pages, #69 7 pages, #70 5 pages) and doing this in the following re-read volume following LSH #59 since that is when Jo leaves to find her. I can try to do that if I am still around then.

As for Valor I would vote for including #11-21 in the following volume. I agree that the earlier Valor issues were fairly forgettable and had no connection to Legion or his future. These issues however I thought were of a higher standard, much more interesting story and not only involve the future Legionnaires but directly relate to a Legion villain and Valor's legendary backstory as told in 5YL. On the other hand the timeline gets "fixed" in the end which is why it all happens between panels in Legionnaires #16. On the third hand (little Niven reference there) the shenanigans in the 20th Century are another major cause of the Zero Hour time collapse along with the 30th Century End Of An Era, so I vote yes.

That also brings to mind the Zero Hour miniseries itself. The Time Trapper, senior Rokk, senior Jo, and the junior 3 founders all appear multiple times in this series. This happens concurrently with the End Of An Era and some of the scenes from that play out here with some extra scenes thrown in. Personally I don't think the writing is at all up to the standard of EOAE. They might make for an interesting side read but I would suggest doing that after completing EOAE as they contain spoilers, are not easy to integrate with it and the characterisations are a bit off but mostly totally lost in the action and plot. Anyway that is a question for a volume or two down the road.

(I feel a bit inappropriate stating my opinion since my involvement in the current readthrough has been minimal. It is a period at the height of my comic collecting so I thought the perspective might be useful. Regular "re-readers" please feel free to ignore it.)
Your opinions and the research you provide on issue content and order of reading are greatly appreciated!

I'm going to reread those Valor issues anyways (probably the whole run, for my own information) - another Legion fan recently commented that the Waid-written issues were really good.
Your opinions and the research you provide on issue content and order of reading are greatly appreciated!

I'm going to reread those Valor issues anyways (probably the whole run, for my own information) - another Legion fan recently commented that the Waid-written issues were really good.
I have often not taken much notice of the credits and hadn't realised that #11 onwards were written by Waid! That does help explain the fairly dramatic shift in style and (in my opinion) quality.
On to the next volume, End of an Era. It's a bit complicated, with a lot of issues but I think some of the Valor series can be condensed.

I would skip Valor 1-16, with just a summary for #11-16 (where he meets Glorith and the Legion start to appear in the book) prior to reviewing Valor #17-18.

The proposed order of reading:
Valor 17 & 18
Valor 19 & 20
Valor 21 (which brings us to July 1994, when Legionnaires, LSH and Valor were published each month)
Legionnaires 16
LSH 59
L.E.G.I.O.N. 68-70 (maybe just a summary of these issues? Jo finds Tinya/Enya)
Legionnaires 17
Valor 22
LSH 60
Legionnaires 18
Valor 23
LSH 61

Stile had included Superboy v.3 #8 - I don't have that issue, it is part of the Zero Hour crossover but doesn't appear to figure in the on-going Legion story from what I read on-line. Skip it or summarize?
Sounds good to me, Cramey.

I don't have Legionnaires 16, it's become rather expensive-slash-hard to find, so I'll have to skip participation in that issue's discussion.

But I would be glad to volunteer to do a summary of the Zero Hour core mini-series...because I'm a glutton for suffering. lol wink angel

I'm tempted to volunteer to do full reviews of L.E.G.I.O.N. #68-70, given my love of the first 55 issues of that book, but my intuition (and my 5YL Jo gag reflex) tell me I better not.

Superboy v.3 #8 is a decent read, from a good era of Superboy; perhaps since Stile suggested it, he could review it, if it's okay with him?
I'm happy to comment and summarise the L.E.G.I.O.N. issues, at least the Jo bits. I could maybe even post the few pages that are relevant.

Always appreciate your sufferenig for the cause Ann. smile

I can summarise Superboy. It's only connection to the Legion is that the classic Superboy who appears in End Of An Era and then disappears next appears here. The issue is about his confusion with the modern take on Smallville including Lana Lang and bumping into Clone-Superboy, so while it is fun and mentions the Legion there is no loss to EOAE by not including it.

Are you planning on summarising Valor #11-16 yourself Cramey?
I'm happy to comment and summarise the L.E.G.I.O.N. issues, at least the Jo bits. I could maybe even post the few pages that are relevant.

That would be great, thanks. There are a lot of things about those issues that are cringe-inducing in a 2021 context.

Always appreciate your sufferenig for the cause Ann. smile

Maybe I should adopt an alter ego named Masokista. lol
Ann, a summary of the core Zero Hour would be great, whenever your need for suffering strikes you!

Stile, thanks for offering to cover the Superboy issue. Would you also like to sum up the Valor issues #11-16?
Cramey, after some rumination, I'm thinking it would probably be best to slot the Zero Hour summary in between Valor #23 and LSH #61.
Stile, thanks for offering to cover the Superboy issue. Would you also like to sum up the Valor issues #11-16?
I could do that. Flicked through them just yesterday after I read your suggested plan. The only tricky bit is that it would be the opening part of the next Archive. I guess I had better get to work.
Cramey would it work if you started the new archive thread with the issues to be covered and how, and then I followed up with the summary post? Then you could continue the lead with Valor #17. Does that make sense?
That works perfectly. I'll post the new thread with the order of issues and usual links, then you kick off the volume with the Valor summary.
Just confirming that I will still be posting a summary of the Zero Hour core mini-series, one day next week.
Thanks Ann. I had been thinking of checking if you wanted me to do it but great that you can still cover it.
I was wondering how we wanted to handle re-reading the Reboot which is next. Gaseous Lad has recently revived Ibby's thread reading those volumes and he and others are commenting there at the moment.

It would be cleaner to start a new Re-read thread and continue as we have been doing, but I don't want to ignore what Ibby has already contributed.

Thoughts?
I was wondering how we wanted to handle re-reading the Reboot which is next. Gaseous Lad has recently revived Ibby's thread reading those volumes and he and others are commenting there at the moment.

It would be cleaner to start a new Re-read thread and continue as we have been doing, but I don't want to ignore what Ibby has already contributed.

Thoughts?

Interesting that you bring this up now - I just reached out to Ibby about picking up that thread where it left off (L*67, about a dozen or so issues prior to the end of the LSH v4 run, and coincidentally where I just stopped reading myself) to re-read/review through the Widening Rifts arc, and possibly into Legion.

It would absolutely be a cleaner way to go about the discussion, as my comments on L* issues in the 40s are appended to discussions and synopses around the late 60s or so, and we can look at the issues with lenses in the 2020s.

But if folks are up for the discussion, I'm up for it either way. We may want to look at a different cadence or style - Ibby created some great synopses, but we'd want to make it new somehow, but Ibby & Fat Cramer have a good structure with Summary/Commentary
Thanks GL for letting me know about this discussion, and thanks for starting it stile!

I?m neutral either way, happy to use my summaries as a base for discussion in a new thread. My thread has a table of contents so the summaries will be easy-ish to find, link, copy / quote

I just started a new job, so I likely won?t contribute as much at least until everyone gets to the point where I left off in the existing thread (as I doubt my opinions will change so much, plus there are only so many times I can reread something wink )

In summary, I won?t get offended or anything whichever way the group goes. Happy to have any existing stuff I wrote re used as a jumping point for discussion.

I wonder what Fat Cramer and HWW think, as they also contributed quite a hit to the existing Reboot reread thread (apologies if I missed anyone). And Thoth on this thread
Thanks, Ibby.

I think it'd be nice if Thoth chimed in, too.
Good points from Ann and Ibby - I think Fat Cramer is close to starting the Reboot on her re-read.
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
Good points from Ann and Ibby - I think Fat Cramer is close to starting the Reboot on his re-read.

Cramey is a woman.
Correction made, thank you Anne!
I thought I was a cat! FatCramer

My thought way back when was to use Ibby's postboot thread in some way as a basis for the Archives re-read, since it was so thorough in documenting the issues. Why reinvent the wheel? Whether we could use a link or repost his summary/comment for each issue is up for discussion. Or some other approach... this isn't my thread, I've just been kicking it off every week to make sure it keeps going. I would favour reposting Ibby's post as the initial one for each week.

As for which issues to include in the next archive, we usually try to hit around 10 or so. This would take us up to Legionnaires #22 (Planet Hell). The next issue (LSH #66) is when Andromeda, Vi and Kinetix join. Or we might want to end on that note of three new members.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I'm on the same page as you on everything noted in your post above, Cramey -- including your identity. FatCramer
Sounds like a good approach to me.
Re the stopping point, I think L*23 is a good stopping by point. The 3 new members have one additional issue to show how they fit in with the team

Also ends on a much more upbeat note than L*22, which has Garth walking away from Cos on a sad-ish note

Thanks for the note on my issue summaries FC, and I agree no need to reinvent smile my earlier issue summaries are less comprehensive than my later ones, but I do think there?s enough in there to pick up on
PS thanks Annfie, I didn?t specify in my earlier post that i mentioned FC and HWW as contributors to the existing reboot reread thread. Of course, you and thothy are key commenters too - the more the merrier when we jump into the reboot reread in my opinion!

Hope I didn?t miss anyone who?s been active in the other preboot rereads!
Thank you, Ibby. The more the merrier, indeed!
I agree with 23 being a good stop.

Sounds like we have a plan!
Everybody happy, good!

I hope our god of hieroglyphics, writing and whatnot will also be joining in.
I'm confused. Cramey just posted the review of LSH 61, the last installment of End of an Era and the very last Preboot Legion issue ever published. Wasn't I supposed to do my Zero Hour review before LSH 61? Do you still want me to do it? I certainly don't mind doing it (I'd been planning to do it this very afternoon), but I don't really see the point now. confused
Sorry, jumped the gun there. I'd like you to post it, I can delete my post and repost it after yours to maintain order.

...and done!
Thanks, Cramey. I'll have it posted in a few hours.
Time for another fantasy archive, Volume 35.

I scanned through the next bunch of issues and there doesn't seem to be a particular stopping point or arc wrap-up, so I'd propose just covering the next 10 which would include:

Legionnaires 23-26, alternating with LSH 67-70, LSH Annual #6 (comes after LSH 69) and Showcase 95 #6 (after the Annual).

I may post this in the new thread tomorrow, but can edit in any changes to the selection later as needed.
I think that's a pretty good plan.

That puts us just prior to the White Triangle story. So we can stop at 70 then have the 71-73 push for the next set to go through the end of the 2nd Legionnaires Omni.
Sounds like a good plan to me, sounds like a good stopping point!
Chris suggested the following issues for the next Archive volume (#36). There's also Superboy #18 & 19, which has him meeting Valor - but we could simply mention that occurred when reviewing Superboy #21.

Originally Posted by Christopher
If I may make a suggestion (which I am in no way heavily invested in), remaining cognizant of the fact that I'm a new guy, one set of issues that you all might consider is Legionairres #27-#28 interpolated with Legion of Super-heroes #71, the 1995 Legionnaires Annual (#2), Legion of Super-heroes #72-73, Legionnaires #29-30, Superboy #21, Legion of Super-heroes #74, and Legionnaires #31.

This looks to be fewer issues than you normally cover in one of these Archive threads, but, I believe, has some advantages. The run (re)introduces some major bits of Legion lore, it includes the first major crossover of the Reboot (if I'm recalling correctly), and does not end with a second crossover (a LINE! WIDE! EVENT!) that I personally found a pretty tough slog and might be better moved through fairly quickly at the beginning of a thread rather than finishing off a thread.

My two credits, anyway!
i'm ok with skipping over the Superboy issues that only feature Valor, and no other Legionnaires.
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
i'm ok with skipping over the Superboy issues that only feature Valor, and no other Legionnaires.

As I may have mentioned, I'm in completely new territory at this point, as previously I'd only read up through, I believe, the first issue of Legionnaires and the was years ago. I've had a lot of luck collecting the issues I need as I go forward, but am also sanguine about reading trades/collections. The only thing I'll miss is the letter columns, and it's been my impression that those kind of go by the wayside the further along in time I get. I only mention this as context because I was originally buying everything that the Legion Completist, the Wikipedia entry on Legion publications, and the Legion Wiki's publication list. I even have the issue of Kamandi that (unsatisfactorily) wrapped up the Karate Kid series and an issue of Hex that turned out to have about three panels of the titular character seeing Superboy and a Time Bubble flying overhead and going "What in tarnation?" or however that guy talks.

BUT, I quickly made the decision to NOT collect every Lar Gand appearance in the early-mid nineties, because boy, was DC trying to make him happen, or what? That said, I'll probably pick up the Superman and Mon-El collection at some point.

For purposes of our discussions, though, I'm with Invisible Braniac on passing over "minor" appearances.
Just reread those Superboy issues recently. They're a bit of fun and work to explain "Valor" to those who are unfamiliar. Babbage turns up so this iteration apparently comes from just before his meeting Lori in the 5YL timeline. Instead he wound up on Earth, has a misunderstanding fight with Clone-Superboy, collapses from lead poisoning, and is saved by Superboy shoving him in to some Stasis thingy from one of his villains right before the device explodes. The last important part of this is restated in Superboy #21 so no real need to read #18 and #19.
Valor/Mon indeed made a big splash in the comics in the mid-90s, eh?

And he also appeared in the Supergirl TV series (though honestly, he was bearded and grizzled there, I never really imagined comics Mon like that! he always seemed too straight-laced)
Valor/Mon indeed made a big splash in the comics in the mid-90s, eh?

And he also appeared in the Supergirl TV series (though honestly, he was bearded and grizzled there, I never really imagined comics Mon like that! he always seemed too straight-laced)

There's a TON of the Legion presentation in that show that is VERY odd...
And now the Supergirl version is apparently feeding back into the way the character is presented by Bendis... shake
Hissy fit Mon!
I'm personally jumping off the Archive wagon now that #35 is completed. Been doing this for five years and decided to take a break, feel like I've just been phoning it in.

Anyone else who's interested in continuing is welcome to pick up with Archive #36.
Thanks for your dedication and steadiness, Cramey! It was greatly appreciated. Enjoy your break.

Normally, I'd volunteer to replace you, but my creative endeavors are taking up all my free time.
thanks FC, you've done a smashing, excellent job, appreciate all your hard work and dedication smile
Indeed, FC, thank you for your work here! I keenly know how hard that can be!

Like I pointed out in the other thread, I wonder if moving forward we can do story arcs versus individual issues? I like how all of Future Tense was laid out like that.
Thanks FC for keeping it going so long. Even if I wasn't always there I appreciate your work. Well done.
Like I pointed out in the other thread, I wonder if moving forward we can do story arcs versus individual issues? I like how all of Future Tense was laid out like that.

I second this, and think it would be nice smile

I have a lot going on now, would be happy if anyone wanted to step in and take charge of the rereads!
Story arcs are a good approach, less disjointed than individual issues. Sometimes I feel like there isn't a lot to say about an individual issue when it's clearly part of a larger tale.

This great Legion reread, started almost 9 years ago by EDE, has been a good exercise and worth continuing, personally I just wanted to get away from the weekly commitment for a while.
Yep - just doing the DnA recap was a big time investment. I need to see what my time commitments look like from a work perspective coming back from the holidays, but definitely would like to keep the momentum picking up from where we left off.

I am also at issue 50 of the v3 Baxter era, and when I get to the end may start a general thread on that as well.
Hey all. Things have been very quiet around here lately, at least around Legion stories (which is really ironic given that there is an actively published semi-monthly title with the Legion in it currently), so I went back to this thread since it went quiet last month.

The Baxter thread didn't really take off the way I had hoped, but I kept coming back to this idea of picking up the reboot re-read where we left off after the Mekt storyline. I went through and looked at the next storylines to go through and I thought this approach may work out pretty decently. Here's what I came up with for the storyline approach based on where we left off:

Future Tense (Superboy, LSH74, L31)
2-Timer (LSH 75, L32)
Starfinger ("L 95" shield issues 1-4)
Fatal Five/Chu (5-9)
Interim (10-13) (no real name, as they are four issues with self contained stories that have setup for the next arc)
Emerald Vi - (14-17)

After this I'll need to re-evaluate, as the 20/30 split happens and the LSH issues are a lot of self contained things linking in their return story, and Legionnaires has its own arcs.

If folks are interested, let me know and I'll get cracking as best I can. I will say work has been busier this last six weeks than it was for most of the last half of last year, so I won't be able to crank out things like the DnA re-read. But let me know. I can definitely do one every couple weeks. smile
I would pitch in!

re the team 20/30 split I would play it by ear, there are parts with some overlap (e,g., L* 47/LSH 91). I recommend shifting as needed at natural breakpoints - suggestion:

L* 41 (cliffhanger) - L* 42
LSH 85
LSH 86
L* 43
LSH 87 and the Showcase story on Colu
Impulse (forgot issue) -- LSH 88
L* 44 - 46
LSH 89 - 90 (cliffhanger)
L* 47 - LSH 91 (2-parter)
LSH 92 (cliffhanger from LSH 91)
L* 48-52 (Mordru and aftermath)
LSH 93-96
L* 53-56 (L* 56 references LSH 100)
LSH 97-100 (COMPUTO)
Thanks, Ibby!

This looks like a good start - to be honest I need to go through the 20thC issues again as I pretty much ignored them when I did my 30th C timeline last year. smile

Some definitely would need to be put in the proper grouping, as I remember at least one pair of timestream issues where all the Legion is thrown together (and Triad joins T20, IIRC). There were lots of crossover and guest appearances in those T20 issues! smile
Thanks GL. It would be good to see this going again.

I have long pondered doing it as well but know my present life and upcoming events mean I would be missing lots of weeks.

I am looking forward to trying to be a part of the comments again.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - if we can get some of the arcs summarized for discussion, we can at least start commenting. smile
Thanks, Ibby!

This looks like a good start - to be honest I need to go through the 20thC issues again as I pretty much ignored them when I did my 30th C timeline last year. smile

Some definitely would need to be put in the proper grouping, as I remember at least one pair of timestream issues where all the Legion is thrown together (and Triad joins T20, IIRC). There were lots of crossover and guest appearances in those T20 issues! smile

that's the L* 47/LSH 91 two parter, GL smile
To avoid having to reinvent the wheel, we could use the order and summaries already present in my re-read thread, which has gone up to LSH 110 and L* 67 smile
that's the L* 47/LSH 91 two parter, GL smile

Thank you sir, I knew you'd know that! smile

To avoid having to reinvent the wheel, we could use the order and summaries already present in my re-read thread, which has gone up to LSH 110 and L* 67 smile

Yeah, let's figure that out - I need to go back and see the writeups for those to see if that works well, as most of the arcs up to the split are four issues or so each, so that may be a long intro message, if we do it like the last round. I'm okay with re-summarizing. We could also link, but then there's no good reference text.

Also, do we want to include the Annuals? In this group they only tangentially add into the story arc if memory serves.
© Legion World