Legion World
Posted By: Reboot Return of the LSH? - 02/18/16 06:54 PM
Rich Johnston speculates based on a DC promo video: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02...upermans-secret-identity-from-dc-comics/
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/18/16 08:11 PM
Do we dare?
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/18/16 08:18 PM
I trust nothing and no one.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/18/16 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
Do we dare?
If the implicit word is "hope", that depends on whether you consider more current-DC Legion a good thing!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/18/16 09:14 PM
What worries me is the image they used, which is from the Levitz/Giffen era. Meaning no disrespect to that era's many fans, I really wish DC would stop treating it as the be-all and end-all of the Legion. The Retroboot stank IMHO, as did the Convergence tie-ins.
Posted By: ultrajo Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 12:14 AM
Fingers crossed.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 01:56 AM
I think at this point, I'm happier sticking to stuff made by fans.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
What worries me is the image they used, which is from the Levitz/Giffen era. Meaning no disrespect to that era's many fans, I really wish DC would stop treating it as the be-all and end-all of the Legion. The Retroboot stank IMHO, as did the Convergence tie-ins.

If they are going to introduce a new Legion, I agree. They can pull from different eras.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 07:45 AM
Legion was not in the list revealed so far:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02...-actual-dc-comics-1-list-from-comicspro/
Posted By: Georgehaze Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 08:45 AM
Justice League 3001 is gone, so that's a plus.
Posted By: Georgehaze Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 08:50 AM
From what I took away from the article, although the Legion is not specifically mentioned, images of them were featured in a sort of "what's coming" homage in a video that Johns presented at the press conference.

And, as Johns is now spearheading the direction of the DCU (goodbye Nu52), and he's a Legion fan, this is still good news.

Still, lets just wait and see how the "Rebirth" miniseries fleshes out before we open the champagne.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 01:16 PM
I disagree about it being good news. I think Johns has a very narrow and twisted vision of what the DCU should be (nostalgia mixed with mean-spiritedness.)
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 01:35 PM
I didn't mean to sound so snappish and dismissive of this news yesterday. Honestly, if a potential book still has a base ready to support it, in whatever form, that's great. Enjoy! nod

It's just...

A couple of weeks ago, I reread the whole of the last Legion series, and it was frustrating. There were some good ideas in there, but they weren't allowed time and room to flourish. I feel like modern aesthetics and the constant push towards cross-marketing and plugging mediocre films (Green Lantern: [yawn]) makes it hopeless-- so far as getting an overall satisfying read.

I do think that some of the best stuff was to be found in the Academy books, and in the Legion of Supervillains Annual. Which just makes it more frustrating to me that most of the end product just doesn't hold up. Great potential was there, but it was stymied by editorial directive (or lack of consistent directive), over and over again.

sigh
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 01:48 PM
I still think the best solution is what Conjure Lass suggested a few years ago: embrace the existence of several Legion realities and have them weave in and out of each other.
Posted By: Georgehaze Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 03:29 PM
Welll...

As long as we're dusting off and polishing up our various wishlists, I'll put in a vote again for either:

A) a return to the reboot Legion (and the logic of that is that this is the Legion that began in 1996 and is probably the one most familiar to those of that age group so why not bring it back?

or

B) If you must stick with the (semi) original version then get away from the 'older' Legionnaires and backtrack to their more youthful days and adventures. Heck, even before the Reboot, they [DC] had already introduced the more youthful SW6 Legion so, clearly, someone must have agreed with this thought process.

In any event, this is probably an exercise in putting the proverbial horse before the equally proverbial cart (without checking with the agents of either to see when/if they'll be available).
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 07:46 PM
I would look forward to a new Legion book. Even if they have to start by having a Legion team go back in time to team-up with a bigger profile person as a springboard for the book.

I do hope that it's executed better than the last couple attempts - which died on the vine, as far as I was concerned.
Posted By: Set Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I still think the best solution is what Conjure Lass suggested a few years ago: embrace the existence of several Legion realities and have them weave in and out of each other.

Agreed. I grew up in the era in which the JLA and JSA would cross worlds and have teamups, so I'm totally comfortable with the idea that the 'classic' and 'reboot' and even 'threeboot' or 'Superboy's Legion' Legions all exist, and are aware of each other, and might, in extremis, even team up on some great threat to their various universes.

Pick one to tell stories about, obviously, but in a multiverse-friendly post-Crisis setting, there's no reason to write the others out completely. It's a fictional setting, after all, there's no reason we cannot both have cake and eat cake.

Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 09:21 PM
If DC can handle publishing Batman 66 alongside Injustice and the regular Bat comics, they can handle doing three Legion comics.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/19/16 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by cleome49
A couple of weeks ago, I reread the whole of the last Legion series, and it was frustrating. There were some good ideas in there, but they weren't allowed time and room to flourish. I feel like modern aesthetics and the constant push towards cross-marketing and plugging mediocre films (Green Lantern: [yawn]) makes it hopeless-- so far as getting an overall satisfying read.

... Great potential was there, but it was stymied by editorial directive (or lack of consistent directive), over and over again.

sigh

This!

If the creators would commit to building a strong Legion universe over time (and a few ongoing Legion books would probably help do that...see X-books and Avenger-books) instead of working all their strategies for ruining a good story (rebooting, rushing to bland resolutions, leaving loose threads, focusing over-long on a disliked character, chasing guest heroes' stories, and on and on...), they could tell some great, great stories.

And they should always avoid run-on sentences with multiple parenthetical phrases.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/21/16 03:50 PM
It would even be cool to have one set Legion book and perhaps a few mini-series set in other parts of the Legion-verse (even Legion of Earth 2 or whatever) to help build it.

Also, it seems like the current comic industry is more generous with 6 issue stories (or even digital first 3 issue runs) than to ongoing.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/21/16 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by cleome49

I do think that some of the best stuff was to be found in the Academy books, and in the Legion of Supervillains Annual. Which just makes it more frustrating to me that most of the end product just doesn't hold up. Great potential was there, but it was stymied by editorial directive (or lack of consistent directive), over and over again.

sigh

This is exactly what I felt about them.

While I consider the preboot/retroboot Legions to be "my" Legion ,if I had to choose, I'd at least give the book a look.

I'd need to do it over a few issues. I dropped the DnA book after #1, having not seen the Blight stories or by giving it more of a chance.
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/23/16 11:02 PM
One of the few specific announcements regarding "Rebirth" is that the cover price of the comics will be lower.

As a retired accountant, this says to me, "We have finally realized that our product has been overpriced, and we will now try to find out what people are willing to pay for it."

The other option is to try to improve the quality of the product, which unfortunately in this case means "make it more like Deadpool" at the present time.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/24/16 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477

As a retired accountant, this says to me, "We have finally realized that our product has been overpriced, and we will now try to find out what people are willing to pay for it."

Wouldn't that be nice if comics companies understood basic economics?
At my height, I used to spend $80 weekly in shops. Now I spend about $10 a week (if that). Ironic that cost of books have increased dramatically since that time.

Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/25/16 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
in this case means "make it more like Deadpool" at the present time.

R-rated [i]Superman vs. Batman[/i] to be released on Blu-Ray because Deadpool

Marvel blazes the trail, DC follows with a ring in its nose.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/25/16 11:29 AM
I fold.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/25/16 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
I fold.

Me too. - Ron Karr
Posted By: Georgehaze Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/26/16 10:07 AM
Keep in mind that this DC; famous for good ideas that are poorly executed.

Considering that, last month, they were singing and dancing over their new Skoobie-Doo book, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that the next Legion book would somehow be a team-up with Josie and the Pussycats.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/27/16 01:01 AM
With Catspaw as Josie's long lost twin sister.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/27/16 01:13 AM
I wish they'd do a Scooby-Doo team up issue with the Legion.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/27/16 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
I wish they'd do a Scooby-Doo team up issue with the Legion.

"Like zoinks, Scoob! That Mordru dude is freaking me out!"
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/27/16 11:09 AM
"Let's see who you are under this hood, Time Trapper..."

"Why, it's old man Krinn!"

"And I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids and their super-dog...."
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/27/16 11:40 AM
rotflmao
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/27/16 01:34 PM
At this point, I think I'd rather read that than Bat-Legion.

Which isn't saying much, but... shrug
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/27/16 01:52 PM
I know you guys meant all the previous posts as jokes but, yes, I would literally throw fistfuls of my money int Sholly Fisch's personal space if it meant making all that a reality.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Return of the LSH? - 02/27/16 02:36 PM
Those were jokes? Moons of Colu! I thought they were from Previews.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Return of the LSH? - 03/08/16 10:37 AM
The return of a real, true, Legion. By DC Comics. Not what you were expecting.

https://legionofcollectors.com/

Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Return of the LSH? - 03/14/16 04:45 PM
I actually bought the first box, more on name and hope than anything else. I do love the BvS tee that's included. The only reason I've ever bought the Funko Pop Marvel boxes were for the t-shirts.

Any chance we'll see more of the Legion done as Legos since they're in the latest Justice League Cosmic Clash The Movie? Which includes a Cosmic Boy exclusive Lego! But I won't buy it until all three founders are included.
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Return of the LSH? - 03/22/16 02:40 PM
Lots of DC rebirth news coming at WonderCon this weekend! Although I doubt it, maybe we will get further teasers about the Legion, to build upon the Legion image shown a few weeks ago.

Posted By: wes connors Re: Return of the LSH? - 03/26/16 08:14 PM
DC will bring back the Legion... as another re-boot. It will be cancelled prematurely and they will do it all over again. The variant covers of the first issue will make them some money, so they will be anxious to get the comic cancelled quickly, and do another re-boot and first issue.
Posted By: Querl Dox Re: Return of the LSH? - 03/28/16 01:15 PM
Geoff Johns talked about the Legion during a Q & A reserved for the press after the Rebirth presentation:
Johns said characters like the New Gods, Shazam, and the Legion of Super-Heroes would all appear once Rebirth gets underway, along with other properties, and that there is a "Story to tell" about how some of them make it into the universe.

Geoff Johns also confirmed that the Legion of Super-Heroes, JSA, New Gods, and Shazam would all have a place in the post-Rebirth universe, but that each of these properties warranted a major story to herald their return, and needed room to breathe and not get lost among today's announcements

Legion of Super-Heroes has been mentionned quite a few time specifically over there, so it might seem to indicate they have plans for it, as well as those other properties.
© Legion World