Legion World
Well as I am currently reading the Archives to my little daugther - reached #7 yesterday - I really wonder how often there are coloring mistakes in these goodies. I mean, obviously it doesn't take more than a 7-year old to see them, so why did they not correct these mistakes when they were doing the reprint? Those are expensive books so why not take the effort to do it right? Did they want to stay close to the originals?

I guess it's every two issues that my daugther points out stuff like "look, Sun Boys collar is white, that's wrong!" ... Just a minor problem but still, it makes me think about DC... once more ...
Posted By: Reboot Re: Coloring mistakes in the Archive edition - 07/04/16 08:33 AM
Are we talking colouring mistakes faithfully replicated from the originals, or all-new all-different mistakes?

Because there is a certain contingent of the people who buy these books (Archives, Marvel Masterworks, etc) who demand absolute fidelity to the originals, including every error...
The most irritating coloring mistake in my opinion was the splash page on Superboy starring the Legion of Super-Heroes Issue #220. Lightning Lad has a green face.
^^Maybe Lightning Lad had just eaten bad Mexican food? wink
It's good that your daughter is catching these things, CK. It shows she has good attention to detail.

Some of the errors from the original issues have been corrected though. In Superboy # 190 ("Murder the Leader"), Shadow Lass was colored Caucasian but was apparently corrected to blue skin in the archive.
Reboot, I can't really tell if those mistakes were in the Originals as well, as I do not have those early issues. It will be easier to tell the difference once we reach the Superboy run, which I have in both versions.

Being true to the original certainly might be a factor. But there are quite grave mistakes, like the second issue of the Computo story after Triplicate Girl died - when they mourn her, she is clearly standing among them, then suddenly, they all are totally surprised to see Duo Damsels two survining bodies coming out of nothing, meaning they "only" were mourning one body (which, by the way, my daugther really was very sad about - she kept on thinking about how to ressurrect the third body).

Anyway, as far as I could tell, what they did wrong was to color Phantom Girl totally wrong, giving her Duo Damsels costume. That's a pretty major coloring mistake and even if they want to be as close to the original, I think they should've corrected such a biggie cause it's mighty confusing...

Thank you He Who wanders, even though it's sad to see that her current dream job - becoming the colorist of the Legion one day - is quite a long way to go wink ...

... considering there's no Legion book out there in the first place...
Posted By: Blacula Re: Coloring mistakes in the Archive edition - 07/06/16 10:01 AM
I'm with you CK. Colouring errors really bug me so I would have liked to see them corrected for the Archives editions.

I'm not sure if fidelity to the original issues (rather than cheapness/speed) was the driving force behind why they weren't corrected either. I could be wrong about this but wasn't Brainiac 5 added to Adventure #247 in the Archives by recolouring?
© Legion World