Legion World
Posted By: Evolution Has Failed LSH in CW Supergirl - 03/29/17 06:26 AM
So, surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this but:

Last night's Supergirl (TV show, that is) both mentioned Durlans AND, for at least the 2nd time, went out of its way to focus in on the Legion flight ring in the fortress of solitude.

Between that and Mon-el being a regular (albeit a ridiculously wimpy version), my fingers are crossed that we'll see the Legion. Time-traveling Barry over in the Flash might help facilitate also.

Fingers crossed

Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 09/25/17 11:34 PM
Amy Jackson will play Saturn Girl in "Supergirl" Season 3.
Posted By: Evolution Has Failed Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 09/26/17 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker
Amy Jackson will play Saturn Girl in "Supergirl" Season 3.

Squeal(!)...

Thanks, you make my day!!!!
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 09/26/17 11:34 PM
This Saturn Girl will apparently have about as much relation to the one in the Legion that we know and love (or not) as Prince-Mon-El-of-Daxam-whose-father's-name-is-Lar-Gand has to the 31st century version.

This SG is telekinetic, rather than telepathic, and hails from 21st-century Titan.

Originally Posted by Legion Tracker

I don't look at this as particularly good news for the Legion: Supergirl, Arrow, and Legends tend to be allowed to use obscure heroes and villains that DC has no immediate plans for in the comics, movies, or otherwise.
(Flash and Superman excepted)

On the plus side, one part of the DC cartoon universe is actually entertaining, with Justice League Action regularly featuring Space Cabbie.
(My thirty-six-year-old daughter and her kids love love JLA's Space Cabbie, although they are completely unfamiliar with the 50's comics.)
Posted By: Brain-Fall-Out Boy Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 09/27/17 02:07 PM
Are we sure this SG is telekinetic, rather than a mistake by the Variety writer? That was their word, rather than coming from a press release or creator statement.

I don't know that I would see their appearance as a bad sign for the comics. If anything, if they really are percolating plans, they might not mind a little brand synergy raising name recognition. I think we can find much better cause for concern in the mixed messages they'be been sending out.

I DO think it's a good sign there are no plans for the Legion in other TV or Film contexts, but is that surprising to any of us? Frankly, when I picture a Legion TV series, I see them making something along the lines of Smallville or Riverdale. So maybe we should count our blessings.
Posted By: Evolution Has Failed Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 09/28/17 05:57 AM

I would agree with Klar Ken T5477 that a "pseudo" Saturn Girl is actually bad news, EXCEPT for the fact that they have gone out of their way at least twice now to focus on the Legion Flight ring in Superman's Fortress of solitude.

And yeah, maybe (hopefully) the word telekinetic was a mis-statement but even if not, I will take it if it leads us to LSH.

So far, (that I've noticed in passing) they have established the existence of Durla, Colu, Starhaven, and of course Daxam. Just saying... smile
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 09/28/17 10:18 AM
a Cargggan made an appearance for about half-a-second. (Triplicating, then being clobbered)
Posted By: Brain-Fall-Out Boy Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 09/28/17 12:22 PM
Are those all from Supergirl, or from various Arrowverse shows? If they're all focused on Supergirl, I'd say that's a VERY good sign. In that case, they're probably putting them all in one universe together for a reason, instead of sprinkling them through both universes.

Conversely, if it's both that might be a bad sign.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/06/17 03:08 PM
Jesse Rath will play Brainiac 5 in Supergirl season 3, starting in episode 10 titled "Legion of Super-Heroes." (Tonight is episode 5.)
Posted By: kenaustin Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/07/17 02:00 PM
It looks like we might have to wait until 2018 for episode 10. I've checked a couple of places and they both end with episode 9 on December 4th. Maybe midseason hiatus, maybe not. I am excited to see this, though.
So we're going to have at least Saturn Girl and Brainiac 5....who else is gonna show up? Let the speculation begin! smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/07/17 10:26 PM
Tenzil!
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/10/17 02:23 AM
Well, I'm expecting it will be just some version of Saturn Girl, Brainiac 5, Cosmic Boy, and Lightning Lad. (because they showed up in Smallville, and viewers are familiar with them.)

And they will be eeeeevil, at least at first.

And Mon-El will be going back to the future with them.

If by some chance there is a sixth Legionnaire, it would be someone whose powers are easily (or already) represented on show: Timber Wolf, Laurel Gand, or Lightning Lass.

Definitely not anybody like Blok or Bouncing Boy or Chameleon Boy / Girl.
Posted By: Set Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/10/17 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
Well, I'm expecting it will be just some version of Saturn Girl, Brainiac 5, Cosmic Boy, and Lightning Lad. (because they showed up in Smallville, and viewers are familiar with them.)

And they will be eeeeevil, at least at first.

And Mon-El will be going back to the future with them.

If by some chance there is a sixth Legionnaire, it would be someone whose powers are easily (or already) represented on show: Timber Wolf, Laurel Gand, or Lightning Lass.

Definitely not anybody like Blok or Bouncing Boy or Chameleon Boy / Girl.

They already use shapeshifting (at least between human and martian forms) for John, so Chameleon Boy isn't totally out of the question.

It would be interesting for them to focus on people other than the standard 'founders + brainy,' and maybe have Imra joined by Tinya and Lu (somewhat more likely just because it's Supergirl, and they tend to have lots of female characters), as well as some lesser-seen (on TV/animation, anyway) early Legionnares like Lyle or Gim or Jo.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/10/17 03:19 PM
^^It would be super-cool if they did a tribute to Supergirl's three super-girlfriends!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/10/17 08:00 PM
^^ Just what I was thinking reading Set's post, EDE. A very timely look at equality as well as showing off just how cool the Legion has always been.
Posted By: razsolo Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/12/17 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Tenzil!

Tenzil would fit in so well with the tone of that show...I would love to see him interact with Kara and Winn laugh
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/14/17 04:15 AM
I don't know about Tenzil. What I have seen of Supergirl seems terribly earnest and serious. Even when they try to lighten up, the humor falls flat.

J'Onn J'Onzz: "The human mind reacts to music very much like other stimuli. Taste, smells. The song doesn't sound exactly the way you're used to hearing it. You enjoy it less, and are therefore less likely to get jiggy on the dance floor. I say DJ."

Oh, man, the Martian said 'jiggy'. I am Rolling On Floor Laughing. Ha. Ha.
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/14/17 09:54 PM
I'm just glad Brainy seems to officially be green:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbVmUTuBSbP/?hl=en&taken-by=jesse_rath

Hopefully Kara's nerdy love interest in the high school episode last night was setting up her interest in Querl. Putting her with these alpha male types just doesn't work. Its like writers feel a strong girl needs a 'strong' man. Never works.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/14/17 10:53 PM
I wonder how long they spent wondering about not making him green. That would have seemed odd. Mind you, reading Klar's post tells me that J'Onn was in it. Maybe they thought viewers would get confused with the green in that clueless TV Exec sort of way. I wonder if they'll introduce that Merboy-friend Supergirl had, in the same episode. Unless he's already appeared of course. smile
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/14/17 11:51 PM
I suppose the real question is whether they'll make him cybernetic., Since they've already used Indigo/Brainiac 8, they might keep him consistent with her, rather than doing a whole "most Coluans aren't actually like that" thing.
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/15/17 10:25 AM
J'onn is all CGI. Brainiac 5 will have to be prosthetic. The guy they cast played an alien on Defiance, all chalk white skin and white hair so that probably helped him get the part. How the green and blonde looks off the comic page is another thing. I've never been able to make an appealing real looking manip of it. The green skin is fine, like Gamora but the hair is tough.

TV line described Brainy has half computer. How that works out we'll see. It could be like Brainiac 5.1. Could be like the animated version. But even in the animated version, he became the organic Brainy we know at the end.
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/16/17 04:09 AM
Next week, the Earth-TV "Mon-El" returns, no longer "allergic" to lead. Maybe he's taking Loratadine.

"Saturn Girl", a dark-haired, East Indian woman, shows up with him.
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/17/17 12:53 PM
Amy Jackson is a white Liverpudlian. She has no Indian heritage, she just stars in Indian movies
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/17/17 01:59 PM
Interesting. Maybe they will even put a blonde wig on her?

I've only been following this show for a few weeks, in anticipation of the Legion's appearance. It's rough going, but I believe I'll be watching Monday.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/17/17 05:09 PM
I wonder if the next Legion book will be a spin off of the show if it goes fairly well.
Posted By: Pete Ross Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/21/17 02:43 AM
Legion fans will not want to miss tonight's episode (if you missed the broadcast, catch it on cwtv.com). Much of the speculation above was not quite right.
Posted By: lm8 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/21/17 07:22 PM
I'd be very curious to hear what others thought of last night's Supergirl episode.

Kept thinking Imra should have ended up with Garth or Rokk, not Mon-el. They mentioned seven people in pods (and Mon-el said they were people like him), so that means they could have seven Legionaires show up on Supergirl. Was disappointed that Lexcorp came up with the cure for lead poisoning (400 years later) instead of Imra or Brainiac 5 working on/finding a cure. Wondering if they'll have any of the Legionaires on next week's crossover episodes.

Also thought the other plot line sounded a lot like the Doomsday plot-line from Smallville. Wondering if they may try to follow parts of the Smallville plot line with regards to the Legion. They might have the Legion show up to help Supergirl fight the female equivalent of Doomsday.
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/21/17 10:32 PM
Next Legion episode seems to be episode 10 called 'The Legion of Super-Heroes' but I guess they could tease the pods opening as the cliffhanger to 9.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/23/17 10:07 PM
So I am just now finding out Saturn Girl is married to Mon-El. Who do I have to murder right now?
Posted By: Catonyx Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/24/17 01:01 AM
I watched the episode and I have to tell you it was a huge disappointment. I don't even know who these people are ("Mon-el" and "Saturn Girl")
I wish the CW with all its budget and resources would at least hire someone to look into the history and characters that are Legion, (maybe read some comics?) and not just use names and expect that long time fans and newer ones too, will just accept it.

I don't think I will watch Supergirl anymore. It's too painful..... and insulting. And I'm pretty sure when they are done corrupting, distorting and inventing the Legion in this current plotline, there will be lots and lots of angry and disappointed fans out there.

What a shame. They could have made it great.
* heavy sigh*
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/24/17 03:06 AM
Perhaps it is best to come to terms with the fact that the Legions we remember ended in August 2013.

This is not the Supergirl from the comics. This is not the Legion from the comics. Not even close.

This is Earth-CW. It is what it is. And what it is, is Soap Opera. (And Arrow and Flash and Legends.)
Posted By: Evolution Has Failed Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/24/17 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by Para-Dox
Next Legion episode seems to be episode 10 called 'The Legion of Super-Heroes' but I guess they could tease the pods opening as the cliffhanger to 9.

Wow, I had no idea (until now) that there was actually an upcoming episode so named... I find this very exciting!!!

SOOOO... Happy Thanksgiving everyone (with due apologies to non-US readers), and having just seen my 88 year-old mother for said turkey ritual, I am reminded of a saying she used almost daily which I think is relevant to why I am not feeling as negative as many of you are:

"Beggars can't be choosers".

Not that I would dare invalidate anyone's disappointment ... the more you love something, the easier it is to be disappointed by it, and I have been there with the LSH many times myself...

But this show is "Supergirl" , not "Legion of Super-Heroes', and I don't recall anyone promising us the LSH (at least not until the ep. 10 title was released very, very recently), so given the fact that they didn't have to give us any LSH at all, I pretty happy with what we appear to be getting so far:
Saturn Girl, a mention of Querl, and the 30th Century.

Given Mon-el's depressed state, I imagine it is some sort of dystopian future, or if not, they are at the very least FLEEING to the past to escape some threat.

Of course, I have never felt any of the romantic pairings to be integral to defining the Legion, but I do see how losing one you like might be disappointing

Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/27/17 04:15 PM
I haven't been impressed with this Supergirl series, so I'm not particularly surprised at the mixed reactions of the inclusion of the Legion.

For the TV stuff, I tend to agree with Evolution - it's NOT going to be the Legion we're used to but it does give a wider audience exposure to the Legion. This version of Mon-El has never rung true, so I just let my expectations go.

I want to see what they do with the Legion - who are apparently back from the future in order to save Kara. So we'll see

Yes, I would have preferred the Legends of Tomorrow to run into the Legion. Because I like the show more
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/27/17 10:01 PM
I'm more bothered by Imra not being blonde than by her being with Mon-El. They could easily have had the actress play Shadow Lass.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about this, though.
Posted By: kenaustin Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/28/17 07:42 PM
*spoiler is for anybody waiting to see all 4 parts of the crossover*

OK...as has been speculated on a lot of sites...from last nights episode...

Was that XS posing as a caterer offering Barry some water? It just has to be either her or Dawn Allen! Right?

I sure hope so!
smile
Posted By: Rob-Em Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/28/17 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by kenaustin
*spoiler is for anybody waiting to see all 4 parts of the crossover*

OK...as has been speculated on a lot of sites...from last nights episode...

Was that XS posing as a caterer offering Barry some water? It just has to be either her or Dawn Allen! Right?

I sure hope so!
smile

The way the scene played, I assumed it was your second option.
Posted By: kenaustin Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/28/17 07:56 PM
I'm leaning toward the former because of the excited way of speaking and the hairstyle.

But it seemed to much emphasis on the scene for it to be a throwaway. Finger crossed!
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/30/17 02:41 AM
I strongly suspect the character in question will be one of those emerging from one of the pods in a future episode of Supergirl, and that this was a clever way of foreshadowing that.
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/01/17 12:00 PM
Perhaps it is best to come to terms with the fact that the Legions we remember ended in August 2013.

This is not the Supergirl from the comics. This is not the Legion from the comics. Not even close.

This is Earth-CW. It is what it is. And what it is, is Soap Opera. (And Arrow and Flash and Legends.)

Are Legion fans really the ones to complain about soap opera? The Legion couples are a huge part of the fun.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/01/17 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Rob-Em

The way the scene played, I assumed it was your second option.

I initially thought the first option, but it might've been more wishful thinking.

Also, I thought it was interesting that Felicity used the term "Brainiac" during the crossover. (referring to all the scientific geniuses who were at STAR labs during the X-over) I know it's a common term, but in light of recent LSH sightings (and Querl appearing on the show), it just made my ears perk up.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/01/17 09:37 PM
It's interesting since the term "Brainiac" primarily derives from the comic book character, which kind of implies that Brainiac exists as a comic book character on Earth-1, or maybe that Brainiac himself exists on Earth-1.
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/02/17 02:53 PM
Flash Fact:
James G. Blaine was a failed Presidential candidate who lost at the Republican convention to Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876.
His supporters were known as the “Blainiac Reservation.”

https://www.loc.gov/resource/ppmsca.28223/
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/04/17 09:06 PM
Mercy mercy me. Cover your eyes now boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoXJpG2s1A

They really, really like Mon-El. Really.
Posted By: razsolo Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/04/17 09:54 PM
On one hand: It's a bizarre choice to me to break up the most definitive couple the Legion have in Garth & Imra, while also missing the boat on Mon & Shady, while ALSO also casting an actress who could play Shady very easily...

On the other hand: the Arrowverse has been doing this with its characters since the first episode of Arrow a bazillion years ago so it's one of those things I've come to accept, as it would drive me crazy if I didn't. For the most part, these shows have a lot of heart and I care about the characters even if they're nothing like their comic counterparts; Mon weirded me out when he first appeared too because he's basically a new character with the same name, but he quickly became one of my favourite characters on the show anyway.

This season of Supergirl has been hitting home runs every episode so I'm optimistic about the Legion being a good addition, unrecognizable as they may end up being...besides which, I think one benefit of the Legion having been rebooted so many times is that no one interpretation is the only one...if we all don't like the CW Legion we just need to hang in there till we get another one smile
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/04/17 10:01 PM
I can't remember a Legion founded by Mon-El. Inspired by but not usurping the founding three.

I like Amy. She has the awkwardness of meeting your hero perfectly. She's softly spoken like Imra tends to be in these adaptations. Her accent is hilarious. Often its Americans trying to be British, she Scouse British trying to do a southern British accent for Americans and then every other word you can hear her real voice. I don't think Americans will notice though, and she's an alien so it doesn't matter. Although the Beatles didn't alter their scouse accents wink

Crossing my fingers and toes now they haven't made Brainy a Blue Doc Brown.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/05/17 02:13 AM
This makes sense as a way of introducing the Legion within the context of the show. I wonder how the Legion Flight Ring in the Fortress of Solitude is going to fit in, though.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/05/17 03:10 PM
Um...why can't Supergirl just ask the Legends to bring their Waverider over to her universe and send them all home?
Posted By: kenaustin Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/05/17 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
... I wonder how the Legion Flight Ring in the Fortress of Solitude is going to fit in, though.

I've been wondering that myself. If Superman knows about the Legion, why wouldn't the name Mon-El ring all kinds of bells with him being their founder and all?
Of course they can always have him say "That ring was already here when I built the place" smile

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Um...why can't Supergirl just ask the Legends to bring their Waverider over to her universe and send them all home?

Everybody knows that during Worldkiller Apocalyptic Events interchronaldimensional communications are the first thing to go down! smile

The Legion of Super-Heroes entitled 10th episode promo shows 3 flight ringed hands at about the 11 second mark. I'm assuming middle and right are Mon-El & Imra respectively.
The far left hand is blue/grayish, and I assume is Brainiac 5...but it sure looks big for what I imagined Brainy's size would be.

Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/06/17 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler

That is a realisation for episode 22
Posted By: razsolo Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/07/17 12:28 PM
re the Legion flight ring in the Fortress of Solitude: I just assume it means that in the CWverse, Clark joined the Legion after Kara found out about them (and after she sends them home later this season presumably)...so for years he has known that they exist and maybe even knows that they were inspired by Supergirl, and if you really stretch it you could even use it as a justification as to why he hasn't gotten more involved in her life since she landed on Earth; because he's scared that he might interfere with her becoming the hero she needs to be to ensure the Legion's future comes to exist.

re Supergirl asking the Legends for help: she's got the doohickey to cross over to Earth-1 but I get the impression she doesn't really have direct contact with anyone there outside of Team Flash. She gets along really well with Barry, but I get the impression she's just on Occasional Team-Up basis with everyone else from that Earth. Also without giving away spoilers, the Legends are kinda dealing with their own stuff at the moment, as is the Flash. In any shared universe, I think you just have to assume that when the hero's peers don't rush to help them in any given circumstance it just means they're busy dealing with their own crisis off camera.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/06/18 02:50 PM
Bumping, as well as linking to the discussion of this in the Supergirl TV Series thread in the Anywhere machine.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/07/18 06:24 PM
Other than the Indigo thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the show runners didn't want another green alien featured when they already have J'onn and his dad (and occasionally Miss Martian mimicking green Martian features) on the show. It's probably the same reason they didn't feature green Mantis in Guardians of the Galaxy with them already featuring Drax and Gamora. Of course, in Mantis' case, she wasn't originally green.

Still, Brainy not being green and blonde kinda sucks.
Posted By: Set Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/07/18 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Paladin
Other than the Indigo thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the show runners didn't want another green alien featured when they already have J'onn and his dad (and occasionally Miss Martian mimicking green Martian features) on the show. It's probably the same reason they didn't feature green Mantis in Guardians of the Galaxy with them already featuring Drax and Gamora. Of course, in Mantis' case, she wasn't originally green.

Yeah, that's my thought, too. They just didn't want to overdo it with the green, and possibly confuse viewers not familiar with the Legion who might think that a green Brainiac 5 had something to do with the green Martians.

(At one time, the Guardians had a green Drax, a green Gamora, a green Mantis and a green Bug. It was getting pretty silly!)

Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/07/18 07:39 PM
The actor, Jesse Rath, who is playing Brainy has been taking it all in stride, though. grin
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/07/18 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Set

(At one time, the Guardians had a green Drax, a green Gamora, a green Mantis and a green Bug. It was getting pretty silly!)

I know, right? lol I'd forgotten about Bug being in the mix there, too!

I'm a little disappointed that there's (apparently) just Brainy, Mon and Imra in the episode. I mean, I'm sure there will be room for more down the line, but I assumed there were more than just ONE more Legionnaire frozen in that ship!
Posted By: Set Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/07/18 07:57 PM
I'm a little disappointed that there's (apparently) just Brainy, Mon and Imra in the episode. I mean, I'm sure there will be room for more down the line, but I assumed there were more than just ONE more Legionnaire frozen in that ship!

There seemed to be six pods with people in them, so there should be more, but I'd rather see three Legionnaires done at least semi-well, than a bunch of young actors standing around calling themselves Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy, etc. and then not doing a darn thing, if that makes any sense. The less they focus on, the more they can concentrate on giving the few they are using a chance to shine (and they've already got a full cast of characters to service on this show).
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/07/18 08:20 PM
I'm assuming will see the rest soon enough, if not in this episode. The episode synopsis says that the Legion will be teaming up with the DEO to go after Reign.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/08/18 05:37 AM
I know it's likely we'll see more than just these three, but counting Mon as one of the three likely featured in the episode is disappointing as far as keeping us from seeing more for the time being.

One odd factoid: We know the president played by Lynda Carter is a Durlan, so we've at least seen someone of that race on the show. What if she's somehow Yera, awoken earlier than the others? Or maybe she's at least an ancestor of Yera or Reep.
Posted By: Malvolio Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/08/18 06:28 AM
I know it's likely we'll see more than just these three, but counting Mon as one of the three likely featured in the episode is disappointing as far as keeping us from seeing more for the time being.

One odd factoid: We know the president played by Lynda Carter is a Durlan, so we've at least seen someone of that race on the show. What if she's somehow Yera, awoken earlier than the others? Or maybe she's at least an ancestor of Yera or Reep.

Maybe she's really R.J. Brande?
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/08/18 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Malvolio

Maybe she's really R.J. Brande?

tongue

Anyhow, her character hasn't even appeared this season, and I haven't heard that she will at some point. I think, though, that if they brought in Reep or Yera, it would, at the very least, make for a nice story or sidebar opportunity. The President could be shown to have had a great influence on Durlan history, for instance.

I've watched Supergirl and the other CW Arrowverse shows from the beginning, btw. I'd be curious as to who else here has at least been watching Supergirl all along and how that colors your expectations around the Legion's emergence.
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/09/18 01:45 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cw-boss-apos-optimistic-apos-190644489.html

Well, if 'the CW' thinks that their brand is already too diluted by comic book heroes, the chances of a Legion series seems slim. (with some seventy-five main characters available, and a hundred or so minor ones)
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/09/18 03:51 PM
More images from the episode with a focus on Saturn Girl in costume. CBR

I see Tinya, maybe, not Imra. I know I’m way behind on the show but if what I heard about Saturn Girl and Mon-El is true then I may be beyond giving them the benefit of the doubt. I’ll be calling this the Mirror Universe Legion.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/09/18 07:00 PM
One reason I asked in my last post if anyone had been following the Supergirl series from the beginning or so is because of the perspective that would bring. I mean, first and foremost, this show is called "Supergirl", so anything done within it is supposed to serve her story. In that sense using Mon-El to affect her and provide romantic tension in the way they are serves her story. I'm not saying this is how I would have done it if I were in charge, but they can justify it in the context of the show.

After thinking bout it some, I also wouldn't be surprised if they made Imra a brunette to keep people from thinking that Mon might have been attracted to her because she shared that feature with Kara.

Also, I don't recall exactly how well-received the Legion was in Smallville, but they sure seemed to have very little presence in the series. If I'm correct, they only appeared as a group (Garth, Imra, Rokk) in one episode, and Brainiac 5 appeared separately a good bit later. At least here they seem more integral and look to have a bigger presence than they ever did on Smallville.
Posted By: Brain-Fall-Out Boy Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/10/18 05:52 AM
Smallville was all about cramming in as many DC guest stars as possible. The main arrowverse world does that for the CW. The fact that Supergirl tends to focus on super – adjacent Characters bodes well for the legion to be better used that it was on Smallville.
Posted By: Set Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/10/18 12:20 PM
Also, I don't recall exactly how well-received the Legion was in Smallville, but they sure seemed to have very little presence in the series. If I'm correct, they only appeared as a group (Garth, Imra, Rokk) in one episode, and Brainiac 5 appeared separately a good bit later. At least here they seem more integral and look to have a bigger presence than they ever did on Smallville.

While the Legion on Smallville were naturally not terribly faithful to the comic version of the characters (just as Smallville's version of pretty much everything was it's own beast), I kind of loved how the Legion were ready to kill Brainiac, and Clark was 'We don't kill.' I grew up with a Legion that *said* that they were inspired by the example and heroic ideals of Superman, but this was kind of the first time I saw those words put into action, which was kind of cool. (Contrast to some whacky notion in the comics at the time that Superman's ideals came from the examples of Imra, Garth and Rokk, representing Truth, Justice and, uh, the Braalian Way?)

It was also kind of neat to see Garth and Rokk combining their powers to fire off an electromagnetic pulse. (Something else else I'm sure comic-Rokk could do solo, but I like the idea of team work and team tactics, something that a pre-established team like the Legion should have.)

Honestly, the idea that this Supergirl interpretation of the Legion seems so much further removed from any comic book iteration of the team than even the Smallville version is kind of a bummer for me. I watch all the DC shows anyway, so I'll watch this, but I'm not as jazzed as I am by Vixen (and soon Constantine?) being a member of the Legends.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/10/18 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Set

While the Legion on Smallville were naturally not terribly faithful to the comic version of the characters (just as Smallville's version of pretty much everything was it's own beast), I kind of loved how the Legion were ready to kill Brainiac, and Clark was 'We don't kill.' I grew up with a Legion that *said* that they were inspired by the example and heroic ideals of Superman, but this was kind of the first time I saw those words put into action, which was kind of cool. (Contrast to some whacky notion in the comics at the time that Superman's ideals came from the examples of Imra, Garth and Rokk, representing Truth, Justice and, uh, the Braalian Way?)

It was also kind of neat to see Garth and Rokk combining their powers to fire off an electromagnetic pulse. (Something else else I'm sure comic-Rokk could do solo, but I like the idea of team work and team tactics, something that a pre-established team like the Legion should have.)

Honestly, the idea that this Supergirl interpretation of the Legion seems so much further removed from any comic book iteration of the team than even the Smallville version is kind of a bummer for me. I watch all the DC shows anyway, so I'll watch this, but I'm not as jazzed as I am by Vixen (and soon Constantine?) being a member of the Legends.

Honestly, I was fairly pleased by the Smallville version of the Legion as well. It was a bit odd for me, though, because I had drifted away from the show well before the time the episode aired. I watched the episode but still kept away from the show with few exceptions. I think if they'd had the Legion appear more and be a bigger part of the over-arching storylines, it would have brought me back.

That said, I didn't catch the Brainiac 5 episode. I know he was also played by James Marsters, who had played Brainiac. I don't think they bothered to make Brainy green, just as they didn't Brainiac.

The word that they have a bigger role to play on Supergirl is very encouraging (though I've been onboard with all the CW shows all along, so it's doesn't serve the same loyalty function that the Legion continuing on Smallville would have done for me).
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/11/18 01:55 PM
[Linked Image]

So everyone knows this, right?

(1) Brainiac 5, Supergirl CW
(2) Brainiac 5, Superman, the Animated Series, "New Kids in Town"
(3) Brainiac 5, Justice League Unlimited, "Far From Home" (spoiler alert: Supergirl remains in the 31st century, forever)

So, TV Brainiac, consistent, right?
Posted By: Omni Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/16/18 01:54 AM
Am I the only one curious about this Legion and who else is apart of it?

has anyone seen the new eps. yet to get any/ all of the new details? watching now but didn't want to post spoilers.
Posted By: Para-Dox Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/16/18 01:29 PM
[Linked Image]

So everyone knows this, right?

(1) Brainiac 5, Supergirl CW
(2) Brainiac 5, Superman, the Animated Series, "New Kids in Town"
(3) Brainiac 5, Justice League Unlimited, "Far From Home" (spoiler alert: Supergirl remains in the 31st century, forever)

So, TV Brainiac, consistent, right?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kenaustin Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/16/18 02:32 PM
The episode wasn't bad, keeping in mind that this is the CW version of the Legion.

Saturn Girl being telekinetic as well as telepathic is OK with me, although they did have her do the fingers-to-the-head thing at least once...argh!
I even kinda liked Brainy. No forcefield belt yet, though. My biggest disappointment was Mon-El. What, 7 years and still no powers? Really?

Cool things: Name checked Winath, Ayla, and the Blight! So now we know what the Legion's mission is...Save Winath and the future from the Blight.

Looking forward to more Legion.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/16/18 05:43 PM
I broke my personal ban on watching Supergirl just for the Legion. Couldn't watch it all. Brainy looked and acted like a spazzed out wannabee Einstein. You've got Saturn Girl right there. A telepath. And he looked like a diseased corpse...WTF?

I'm not dissing the actor, never seen him before and I'm sure he's perfectly decent. But that was....... Mon-el founded the legion? So far beyond WTF to me that I can't even quantify.

nope.
Posted By: kenaustin Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/17/18 04:59 AM
Mon-El sports a more comic accurate costume at 0:03

Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/17/18 04:15 PM
I reconciled that TV/movie versions of our favorite characters were going to be departures from the comics all the way back in 1978. I really don't care if Imra isa telekinetic brunette.

I do like how Legion elements have been peppered throughout the series, from planet names to minor characters, then Mon-El and now a Legion. Maybe it isn't a grand Legion 'authentic' to one or more versions of the comics that some of us us envisioned, but so what? I am hard-pressed to think of anything in the Arrowverse or in any adapted-from-comics series or movies that is.

Mon-El: despite not being the comics Mon-El, a good choice. Super-heroines like Kara suffer from what I call the 'Steve Trevor factor,' in which dating a normal guy can make that guy seem wimpy (unless developed well before they start dating) or else dating a powerful figure runs the risk of overshadowing her. A fellow alien with some owners but not as many as hers, with a similar background and long-standing ties to the El mythos frankly makes sense. A good call for the 2nd series boyfriend, and a good complication for a 3rd series return. And that he is now a moral anchor of the Legion, inspired by Kara, shows his own growth since his selfishness early on.

Imra: not 'our' Imra, but so what? TK powers in an action-oriented show makes sense, especially without the full Legion there. Imra admiring Kara as an inspiration derails/redirects a lot of the usual women-vying-for-the-same-guy tropes, and she being the one to push Mon-El into intervention shows her chops too.

Brainy: A good blend of alien but functional in human culture, aloof but not too robotic, a dork but likely so. I'm glad he isn't just Joe Human with green skin. This iteration really works.

The others: I'm glad they seem to be taking their time fo a slow unveiling. And as Reign recruits allies, there is more excuse to wake some of the others.

Bottom line? This was fun, and I look forward to more!

Still wondering how Jenni/XS fits i,n if that was indeed her at the West/Allen wedding.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/17/18 09:16 PM
I watched it last night and frickin' LOVED me some Brainy! No, he's not exactly this version or that version, but I thought he was pretty damned wonderful! Pretty sure I detected hints of him having a crush on Kara and maybe just a dash of reciprocation from her.

I wouldn't mind them shrinking his glowing forehead orbs a bit or maybe de-fluffing his hair some, but I'll be fine if they don't.

I just hope we get MUCH MORE BRAINY on the show!!!!! love
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/17/18 09:26 PM
Yeah, I thought it was pretty great, overall. This Legion seems influenced by the animated Legion more than anything, which isn't a bad thing, imo.

The Brainy-Kara chemistry was weird, but definitely there. Probably moreso than with most of her other love interests on the show, quite frankly, including Mon-El.

And, seriously, he said "sprock"!

And we got a Streaky!

I'm looking forward to more Legion.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/17/18 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
The Brainy-Kara chemistry was weird, but definitely there. Probably moreso than with most of her other love interests on the show, quite frankly, including Mon-El.

TOO true! lol I do like this more mature Mon better, though.

Originally Posted by EDE
And, seriously, he said "sprock"!

And out loud, at that! lol

Originally Posted by Edie
And we got a Streaky!

YES!!!

Kinda wish, as I just wrote on the main Supergirl show thread, that he was orange, though!

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Emu
I'm looking forward to more Legion.

ME, TOO!!!

For a second, I thought the platinum blonde in the next episode promo might be Nura, but now I think it's probably Live Wire (the villainess, not Garth! smile )
Posted By: thoth lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 01/17/18 10:56 PM
SPOILERS!

That was not only my first Supergirl episode, but my first episode of any of the superhero shows.

Obviously, it’s called “Supergirl” not “Martian Manhunter” or the “Legion and Supergirl.” and the show will revolve around her character. That’s going to mean that the roles and capabilities of others are going to be more limited. Like Superman turning up in the JLA. smile

There are also going to be plenty of changes made by the writers as they try to fit existing concepts and characters into this format. No doubt there’s lots of reasons, from trying to attract certain demographics, through personal choices, to trying to do something to pretend that other people didn’t create all of these characters smile

So with that said:

Keeping the Legionnaires to an initial three was not only a nod to the Adventure days, but a realisation that many more would clog up the show. There’s quite a few other cast members here for the writers to keep up with too. The Legion has to add to a cast, rather than getting the whole show as a spotlight.

Brainy, Lar and Imra were excellent choices if you wanted to pick your first Legionnaires. They are arguably three of the four non-Krypton Legion cornerstones. I wonder if Cham will appear as the Manhunter seems to already fill that role in the show. Ayla got a mention! And they fell into the comic cliché trap of wiping out a world. At least they didn’t say it was blown up, so there’s hope. I don’t think the different look for all three had any adverse impact on the characters and their Legion ties.

Imra is telekinetic. It’s more visual, although there are ways to tweak telepathy to have effects too. The number of other characters and it being Supergirl meant that she wasn’t going to show lots of her strengths. Although she didn’t get to do lots, it’s a promising start. In the comics, Imra’s mom was telekinetic and Levitz had her use some TK (although that was debatably in error) in v7.

I’ve not seen any of the previous Mon-El appearances, but it looks as though he’s been there long enough to have had a failed relationship with Supergirl. The episode did a good job of giving details, without getting bogged down to the point the other Legionnaires got limited time. Looking back at Mon-El’s first comics appearance, it could easily have been tweaked for a more romantic tone. I guess it’s because the show is Supergirl’s that we don’t see Mon (or Manhunter) as physically stronger.

After the first second getting over the appearance, I quite liked Brainy. He’s not genius Brainy who’s a jerk; he’s genius Brainy who’s looking out for his friends.
The moment where he revealed he’d doctored his virtual appearance to impress Kara was nicely done. He’s no less awkward than the original Brainy appearance where he bluntly asks Kara to stay in the future to be his girl. I got the feeling the writers are going to have fun with their relationship. More so, if there’s been a Mon-El romance too.

Having him firing from a spaceship seemed a bit odd, when I’m so used to seeing him with a forcefield. No reason why the forcefield tech couldn’t have been altered to reach out and thump someone. It did keep the ship, and its cargo (3 more Legionnaires at least!) firmly in scope though.

The Blight seem to be the reason for the Legion being there. There must still be folks at DC wondering just why that DnA run didn’t have more of an impact. The Legion’s situation reminded of the Mordru story where they fled into time, as well has having a Legion Lost feel to it. The first one, not the pants second one. smile

Hopefully, their genetic solution will seem more plausible as it goes on, but at least the writers addressed the “can’t get involved” for a definite reason that wasn’t just altering the timestream. The amount of information the future knows is also addressed head on. The show gets points for getting that out of the way too.

I didn’t intend to even mention the Legion comic in the above. It’s only fair that the TV format gets a clean slate, and I was happy to judge it on that. But they’ve obviously done a lot of background work on the Legion, so it would have been a shame not to mention it. Massive, massive points for having a Streaky cameo! It looks as though Streaky isn’t getting superpowers, so they provided a layer of depth to Kara through their relationship. Nicely done.

(Since the Legion are mucking around with genetics and can time travel, there’s no reason why Brainy’s parting gift to Kara can’t be Whizzy! smile )

I can’t say I’ve suddenly turned into a fan of Superhero shows/films off the back of this. There’s a bigger “budget” in the first few pages of most comics than a TV show is ever going to have. There’s nothing wrong with the action sequences chosen, but I just found it too stagey.

The dialogue came across as overly trimmed to the point of clunky at times, which is the polish you get in a format where every moment counts.

The main, non-Legion cast came across as very samey. Perhaps they all get bigger roles normally, and had to step back because the Legion are now there. It tough to juggle that cast and keep everyone happy.

I think they did really well with the budget. Having a familiar interior, and subplot in Kara’s mind, while also having additional cast and action, created a nice balance in the story and probably to the balance sheet too.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 06/16/18 01:37 AM
Brainy actor Jesse rath promoted to series regular on Supergirl!!!

As stated above, I dig the show's take on Brainy, so I'm stoked to see him a full-time cast member! I'm not crazy about how the show has taken to Brainy using a "hologram", so he can fit in on Earth (and save the actor some make-up time). But I've enjoyed the character lots and just love the thought that such an archetypal Legion character will have the chance to grow and hopefully have some of his own plotlines.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 06/16/18 02:23 AM
Hopefully it means will get to see more Legion next season!
Posted By: Reboot Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/22/18 01:03 AM
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/21/supergirl-season-4-tv-first-transgender-superhero-dreamer/
The panel named transgender activist Nicole Maines (Royal Pains, The Trans List, Becoming Nicole book) joining the show in the series regular role of Nia Nal, aka Dreamer. The newest addition to the CatCo reporting team, she is described as a soulful young transgender woman with a fierce drive to protect others, Nia’s journey this season means fulfilling her destiny as the superhero Dreamer
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/22/18 09:28 AM
Interesting choice for the next Legionnaire to debut. Dreamer has one of the less flashy powers. of course, they do save on special effects...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/22/18 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Interesting choice for the next Legionnaire to debut. Dreamer has one of the less flashy powers. of course, they do save on special effects...

Dreamer: The villain will strike next...there!
Villain: (About to strike exactly there, but stopped by Supergirl)
Supergirl: Thanks Dreamer. I don't know how you do it. It's like you see the future as if it was scripted!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/22/18 12:04 PM
And all she has to do is hold her head and make like she’s having a headache
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/23/18 10:05 AM
Looks like this is another ancestor, like the Phantom Girl in The Terrifics and mystery girl in The Flash being Nora, not Jenni.
Posted By: Reboot Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/23/18 03:10 PM
I think there is an inherent problem in the idea of her being a direct ancestor of Nura, unless magic is involved...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/23/18 05:36 PM
If there are enough ancestors, could there be a L.E.G.I.O.N. series, with occasional forays into the future as budget allows?
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/25/18 07:12 PM
They could bring in Snapper Carr (Jr.) with his teleportation, and maybe Dust Devil - start up The Blasters!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 07/25/18 09:44 PM
Hot on the heels of their smash... well. they had that Invasion! Special...
Posted By: lm8 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/20/18 08:05 PM
Enjoying reading the comments on the Legion in Supergirl. Didn't pick up that Nia Nal was Dreamer, so that was interesting to read about. They mentioned Lightning Lad on Flash. Was afraid when the villain on Flash showed up with weird Lightning Bolt like tech, they might make him a bad guy. So glad they did not go that route. However, XS's reference to Lightning Lad and Imra in the Supergirl universe mentioning Ayla but not Garth left me wondering if they should combine the Legion members from the various universes to make a full Legion team or whether they just have two full teams (possibily at different time periods) in both universes. It would be really nice to see some Legion fan fiction on the TV versions of the Legion since the shows don't fill in much background. Anyone have any story ideas or care to brainstorm what they think will happen with the Legion characters and their team or teams (especially if the characters from the Supergirl show ran into the ones from the Flash show). Maybe we can get a story idea thread going in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business section of the forum. Think it might be fun to write some stories to fill in some of the gaps.
Posted By: Set Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/21/18 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by lm8
However, XS's reference to Lightning Lad and Imra in the Supergirl universe mentioning Ayla but not Garth left me wondering if they should combine the Legion members from the various universes to make a full Legion team or whether they just have two full teams (possibily at different time periods) in both universes.

Since The Flash and Supergirl are set on different earths of the multiverse, it would make sense that Mon-El and XS have encountered different Legions in their futures. (Although one or both could have moved through the multiverse as well as through time, which would be particularly ironic in the case of XS, since she's got all this mommy wangst she's been taking out on someone who may be an AU doppleganger of her real mom...)
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/24/18 08:36 PM

Brainiac 5's battle technique begins at 1:OO.
Posted By: Set Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 11/24/18 11:01 PM
OK, that was funny, if absurd. smile
Posted By: lm8 Re: LSH in CW Supergirl - 12/01/18 03:49 PM
Seems like they're using Brainiac 5 more as comic relief rather than taking him seriously in most of the Supergirl episodes. Maybe we'll see more on the Sunday 12/2 episode. The advertisements for the episode appear to feature Brainiac 5 and Nia, but it looks like it's more slapstick than serious. Wish they'd show his powers more seriously, but I guess it's hard for less than 12th level intellect writers to write dialogue for a 12th level intellect.
© Legion World