Legion World
Here's the regular cover to LSH #9 with trade dress via DC Nation on Twitter. I was wondering how they were going to pull this off based on the cover design.

And here's the line up, also via Twitter.

[Linked Image]

Two page interior preview is via AIPT

Page 1 -
click to enlarge

Page 2 -
click to enlarge

Rest of the pages via Graphic Policy.

Page 3 -
click to enlarge

Page 4 -
click to enlarge

Page 5 -
[Linked Image]

Page 6 -
[Linked Image from legionworld.net]

Page 9 -

Page 15 -
[Linked Image]

Page 18 -
[Linked Image]

Attached picture legion-of-super-heroes-9_page1.png
Attached picture legion-of-super-heroes-9_page2.png
Attached picture legion-of-super-heroes-9_page3.png
Attached picture legion-of-super-heroes-9_page4.png
I dig the cover, but, as I've said before, I really wish they'd been able to do the cover of the previous issue in the same format.

"The Legion, like the United Planets it defends and supports, is a group of young heroes of individual, unique, exceptional ability." How *exactly* does that make the Legion like the United Planets? What a bizarre sentence.
I have a feeling this Prime Directive trial is going to be interrupted (hopefully not by the current DC Implosion). Brande either staged the trial to prove the Legion correct or something will happen to prove that the youth are right to break the rules in order to create a better society. To keep with my Star Trek references, I cannot tell if Brande is a Garak or a Kai Winn.
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I have a feeling this Prime Directive trial is going to be interrupted (hopefully not by the current DC Implosion). Brande either staged the trial to prove the Legion correct or something will happen to prove that the youth are right to break the rules in order to create a better society. To keep with my Star Trek references, I cannot tell if Brande is a Garak or a Kai Winn.

That's a great question. She has the position of power that Kai Winn had, but she's a Durlan, which people outside of Durla are immediately suspicious of, much like Cardassians like Garak.
Regarding the preview images I know which artist does which page if anyone wants to know now
Publish and be damned, Sarky! I'm curious.

Happy to see Shadow Lass get a full page, but I might have expected Rose to be the one presenting the Legion's case (to give her something to do and she is Liason) or Ultra Boy as new leader.
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler

Timber Wolf shows off his mighty root.
Timber Wolf is Nicola Scott.

Dr. Fate is Michael Fiffe.

Monster Boy (the Super Moby-Dick of Space) is Nick Derrington.

Triplicate Girl is Riley Rossmo.

Bouncing Boy's Ivan Reis and Joe Prado.

Shady is David Marquez and President Brande is Sook.

Oh, oh, and get this.

In Dawny's full page, she's wearing her classic costume (no energy wings) and Imra and Rokk have the bikini and corset. They got Mike Grell back for one page, they named Dawnstar after him, and he STILL wouldn't draw the new costumes.That is hilarious.
Brande. Still trying to decide if she's meant to be villain, or an authority figure who has to be convinced. She's definitely got a bit of a manipulative streak I think, but is it just deft politics?

She certainly appears to be taking a balanced view in her statement, calling back to the ideals and spirit in which the Legion was founded... and I have a hard time disagreeing with her about the hubris and mistakes of this Legion.
Didn't we already have a Timber Wolf page?

I'm going to speculate that this page really serves to reintroduce That Tree-Dude in Glortih's Quarters into the v8 Legion!
Yeah, guys, the solicits made it sound like EACH Legionnaire would get a page to themselves. That's not what happens.
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Timber Wolf is Nicola Scott.

Dr. Fate is Michael Fiffe.

Monster Boy (the Super Moby-Dick of Space) is Nick Derrington.

Triplicate Girl is Riley Rossmo.

Bouncing Boy's Ivan Reis and Joe Prado.

Shady is David Marquez and President Brande is Sook.

Oh, oh, and get this.

In Dawny's full page, she's wearing her classic costume (no energy wings) and Imra and Rokk have the bikini and corset. They got Mike Grell back for one page, they named Dawnstar after him, and he STILL wouldn't draw the new costumes.That is hilarious.

Good eye!
I didn't even think about Monster Boy
Mike Grell draw the classic Legion, he is my hero!
So, just as they're in civilian outfits when they visit TW on Nicola Scott's page, it looks like they're just in civvies (that happen to resemble their 70s outfits) when visiting Dawnstar. Note the hairstyles/facial features are clearly the current team. What's weird, though, is Dawnstar having real wings, which is left unexplained.
Page 1 translations -

"The trial of the
Legion of super-
heroes is being broad-
cast live to the
entire Galactic. It is
being translated into
97 different base
languages
and 700
different dialects.
The only planetary
system not running
the trial live is
Rimbor, who has
accused the Legion
and the gathered
United planets of
egregious criminal
behavior."

"it is
unclear
whether
rimbor
leader
crav, the
general
nah or his
son and
newly
elected
legion
leader jo
nah, ultra
boy, will
appear
before
this court."

"rimbor very publicly denounced their
seat at the united planets after the
legion of super-heroes intercepted what
they believed to be an illegal interaction
between rimbor and the horraz."

Page 2 translations -

"as stated in the
united planets
bylaws, the president
acts as prosecutor
for any case brought
forth to the body."

"rj brande is a skilled
litigator who
successfully
negociated peace
between new
krypton and thanagar.
her approval rating
across the galactic is
66%."

"the legion's
approval
rating is 87%."

"she checks
constantly."

Also, who is this? Chemical King?
[Linked Image]

Attached picture unknown_legionnaire.png
^^That would be my guess, but I'm really not digging the design if it is.
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
So, just as they're in civilian outfits when they visit TW on Nicola Scott's page, it looks like they're just in civvies (that happen to resemble their 70s outfits) when visiting Dawnstar. Note the hairstyles/facial features are clearly the current team. What's weird, though, is Dawnstar having real wings, which is left unexplained.

I like to think Grell just flat out refused to draw the new costumes.

Also I discussed that one guy on twitter and it might only be a Science Police officer
BTW guys have any of the previous issues named the glowing skeleton yet?

Nope. I've been anticipating learning something in this issue!
Me too. I will be more than a little annoyed if we don't learn at least the name and powers by this issue...!

Want to spoil it, if they name him/her/they?

I like to think Grell just flat out refused to draw the new costumes.

Also I discussed that one guy on twitter and it might only be a Science Police officer

Editors used to have a role in comics. They also could have at least had the colorer make the wings look more like energy or something and paint her face blue.

Also, it would be weird that every other character in the background be a Legionnaire except for one.
[/spoiler]

Want to spoil it, if they name him/her/they?

[spoiler]The skeleton Legionnaire gets no focus AT ALL in the ninth issue, and they're not the only one. Several Legionnaires don't receive any focus, and several from the last issue do. If these issues were solicited as each Legionnaire getting a page to focus on them, those solicits lied.
Thanks!

That sucks as I thought this or last issue would have put that mystery to rest. frown
The Legionnaires who don't receive any focus are as follows

Violet, Karate Kid, Tenzil, Sun Boy, Star Boy, and the Skeleton Person.
Only two of them appeared briefly in the first issue. Of that only one of those two got any significant lines.

The rest have just been background fixtures. frown
That's super-disappointing. frown
You guys realize it's been a year since the new Legion debuted? For some reason I find that incredibly sad.
This is extremely disappointing frown
Only two of them appeared briefly in the first issue. Of that only one of those two got any significant lines.

The rest have just been background fixtures. frown

This entire CONCEPT is one giant background fixture.
And certainly much less well-executed than the Atom Girl thing in the Threeboot. When Vi finally showed up, she played a key role in the battle AND had a good explanation for why she'd been absent so far.

Sadly, I doubt that Bendis can come up with something like that for Green Skeleton Girl or this version of Vi... or even Invisible Kid.
Okay guys since it's Tuesday that means DC books are available to buy and I can fully talk about this.

Jacques Foccart is Invisible Kid, but he's now from the planet Kit-Son.

Timber Wolf's homeworld of Zunn is an ecological wasteland.

Mon-El punches General Nah during the trial and at one point screams about how he is "KRYPTONIAN PRIME" before flying off. Colossal Boy actually hopes Mon-El quit because he's so exhausting.

Ayla's still Lightning Lass and is referred to as such.

Dream Girl reveals a "GREAT DARKNESS" is coming and that's why General Nah wanted the Aquaman trident, as he's gathering other elements to prepare.

White Witch is Xola Aq, she's studied under five tutors, and she's Mordru's daughter.

The issue ends with Saturn Girl and Superboy kissing, but frankly I'm more disgusted by them using Mitch Gerads art for that page.

Bendis sure likes to contradict his own writing and stories as much as the previous writers. I guess it's not hypocritical. I actually prefer and am more intrigued by a Xola Aq than a Mysa Nal. And Mon-El being Superboy's descendant adds more to the story than a random Daxamite. Jacques makes more sense than Lyle. Lightning Lass is more interesting than Light Lass. I just wish they thought of all of this before they started.

I also preferred Lightning Lad to Lightning Boy and Star Boy with mass inducing powers rather than another Superboy knock-off, so... But this book is in desperate need of an editor to help focus the creative team and add some consistency.

More voices are getting heard these last two issues. I know we hoped for all of them to get a spotlight, but it's a start in the right direction. And we've definitely added a new unknown Legionnaire to the roster -
[Linked Image from legionofsuper-heroes.com] to go along with [Linked Image from legionofsuper-heroes.com]

I hope we get to find out who they are sooner than later.

Despite all of the contradictions. I really like this Legion visually and their potential. The proof is on how much I desperately want to know and see more. Here's to hoping I get my wish.
Guys bear with me a moment, because this is coming from my position as a white person so it might be skewed. But.

This just occurred to me earlier today, but for as much as I was wary about the ramifications around Ayla's circumstances, does it bother anyone else that in THIS continuity the Ranzzes are Black and yet they're now living in a cramped, inner city apartment?

Also, with Bendis pushing

Saturn Girl and Superboy together, while Imra has been known to have an attraction to guys besides Garth in other continuities, I don't think I've seen a single instance of any sort of romantic interest between Imra and Garth in this continuity. And yet now Garth's Black. Huh.

If I'm wrong about any of this please correct me, because I want to talk about this more in-depth for an article I'd like to do about Bendis's Legion and why this series has been so awful.
Rokk and Imra almost got married in the Reboot. Levitz retconned that Imra and Rokk slept together shortly after the formation of the Legion. Timber Wolf and Imra had a "moment" just before the Great Darkness saga. In the Silver Age Supergirl tried to hook Superman and Saturn Woman up.

If the Ranzzes lived on a farm away from everyone then they'd less likely be activists fighting with the forced relocation of aliens on their world as the attrocities wouldn't be in their face and real to them.

I'm not saying Bendis doesn't have any faults, but you could get offended by anything or everything if you looked hard enough.
No I know Imra's had an attraction to other guys, like who could forget that entire thing between her and Rokk in the Reboot. But in all the other continuities there was still an attraction to Garth. The fact that it doesn't seem to exist between them at all after Bendis made Garth Black in this continuity just, it-it doesn't feel like Bendis or the editors thought out how it'd look.

I mean, I know how me pointing it out looks and this is kinda opening a can of worms, but how much longer do we say "wait and see how it plays out" when it's been a year?
I have a random theory on the skeleton guy. Maybe he's a 1000 year-old Mr. Bones. I mean, if Rose Forrest can live for over 1000 years, why not a mutant with invisible, corrosive skin? That would also explain the protective suit. Maybe over the centuries, Mr. Bones' skin became progressively more radioactive.
I swear you don't know what I would give for that to be true, because at least it'd be *A* origin story when there's literally nothing on this character.

I kind of liked the Gim-as-Micro-Lad-esque spin on Invisible Kid here. Though I'm not sure how being invisible also makes him Praetor Lemnos, but it's still cool.

It's nice that we're finally getting a feel of at least a few of these Legionnaires as distinct personalities. The contrast between those Legionnaires who joined to protect the U.P., and those who joined to challenge it is an interesting one in principle, but we'll see if it goes anywhere interesting.

I also liked the contrast between Doctor Fate and the White Witch.

The "Charles Foster Taine" name just seemed like a cheesy pun. Is this the first time we've seen it?

I'm still not sure what the whole point of the trial was, but whatever.

And, "The Great Darkness", huh? Plenty of reason to be skeptical about Bendis rehashing one of the most classic Legion stories.

Guys bear with me a moment, because this is coming from my position as a white person so it might be skewed. But.

This just occurred to me earlier today, but for as much as I was wary about the ramifications around Ayla's circumstances, does it bother anyone else that in THIS continuity the Ranzzes are Black and yet they're now living in a cramped, inner city apartment?

Yes but I'm giving it time to make sense but sadly I forgot about that situation because other situations seemed more disappointing.

No I know Imra's had an attraction to other guys, like who could forget that entire thing between her and Rokk in the Reboot. But in all the other continuities there was still an attraction to Garth. The fact that it doesn't seem to exist between them at all after Bendis made Garth Black in this continuity just, it-it doesn't feel like Bendis or the editors thought out how it'd look.

I mean, I know how me pointing it out looks and this is kinda opening a can of worms, but how much longer do we say "wait and see how it plays out" when it's been a year?

~3 more issues to go for a "normal" comic year. In fairness I thought I've heard Bendis didn't want to read older versions because he wanted his own take on them and new relationships blah blah blah ? This might just be part of that and temporary optics.

I'd figure the Saturn Girl / Jon relationship will be short lived and Darkseid could open the door to the Lightning Lad/Saturn Girl relationship and Validus smile

Originally Posted by Malvolio
I have a random theory on the skeleton guy. Maybe he's a 1000 year-old Mr. Bones. I mean, if Rose Forrest can live for over 1000 years, why not a mutant with invisible, corrosive skin? That would also explain the protective suit. Maybe over the centuries, Mr. Bones' skin became progressively more radioactive.

He could've absorbed it after the "heroes past" fallout or failure mentioned in this issue, I like it.

The "Charles Foster Taine" name just seemed like a cheesy pun. Is this the first time we've seen it?

I have to look up exactly where, but I am positive this was introduced in the Reboot.

One thing I do appreciate about Bendis is his call-backs and Easter Eggs like this.

I'm Asian and not Black... that said, I come from a developing Asian country and the Ranzzes joy at getting off Winath and on Earth resonated strongly with me.

I honestly don't know if this should be bothersome, and perhaps I am also not the best person to give input on this. What if Cos had been Black and Garth & Ayla had been Asian? The whole "yay, we made it off Winath!" bit would still have resonated as strongly with me.

As it is, on initial reading, the whole "let's get off world" and the cramped inner city apartment bit, made sense to me considering Winath is (I assume) an agrarian world rather than, say, a world built on services or cutting-edge tech.
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I have to look up exactly where, but I am positive this was introduced in the Reboot.

One thing I do appreciate about Bendis is his call-backs and Easter Eggs like this.

Yeah, it actually kind of sounds like something from the reboot. The silliness of it would've been less incongruous there.
Not to belabor the point of inconsistencies, but just two issues ago we were told that Wildfire was initially rejected because his powers duplicated other members. I mean... Cos does utter the line about already having a fire guy, but I'm not really seeing anything in his audition scene here that fits with that.
Well people always said that all this continuity was what was keeping people from reading comics anymore. Just too hard to keep track of everything.

We now have a series that makes everything all-new issue to issue.

I'm Asian and not Black... that said, I come from a developing Asian country and the Ranzzes joy at getting off Winath and on Earth resonated strongly with me.

I honestly don't know if this should be bothersome, and perhaps I am also not the best person to give input on this. What if Cos had been Black and Garth & Ayla had been Asian? The whole "yay, we made it off Winath!" bit would still have resonated as strongly with me.

As it is, on initial reading, the whole "let's get off world" and the cramped inner city apartment bit, made sense to me considering Winath is (I assume) an agrarian world rather than, say, a world built on services or cutting-edge tech.

No hon you're good, thank you for your input. I want to hear from you guys about this.
coolio, thanks smile

Well people always said that all this continuity was what was keeping people from reading comics anymore. Just too hard to keep track of everything.

i wonder how much of this is due to Bendis trying too hard to fit such a large cast in. I mean, the Threeboot started with a cast of about 20... but they introduced the Legionnaires slowly, in smaller groups, focusing on personality traits instead of throwing in tons of backstory details. Bendis did the opposite, cramming all 30+ Legionnaires into every page. Bit off more than he could chew?
i wonder how much of this is due to Bendis trying too hard to fit such a large cast in. I mean, the Threeboot started with a cast of about 20... but they introduced the Legionnaires slowly, in smaller groups, focusing on personality traits instead of throwing in tons of backstory details. Bendis did the opposite, cramming all 30+ Legionnaires into every page. Bit off more than he could chew?

I agree that starting with so many characters wasn't a great idea, but all it takes is a good story bible to prevent inconsistencies like this. Get a nice folder with a page for each character, keep lists of things that have been definitely established about them, more lists of things you plan on establishing about them later, etc. This seems like pretty basic Writing 101 these days.

I have to agree with this statement! smile

I'm happy (and relieved) to say that this issues was a bright spot for me for this iteration of the Legion. I don't know if it was the classic DC Special of the 70's and 80's feel that I got from it or what. It's hard to explain exactly.

Maybe it was the nostalgia of seeing some Legion fan faves like Mr. Grell, and some classic costumes (that was a nice homage-y touch!) that made me feel the way I do, but I think it's more about the story that was told here. I think that I learned more about this new Legion from just this one issue than from the 8 preceding ones combined. Honestly.

Dare I say I am fanboy-ing out again, and that alone is one of the few positives in this surreal time that we are living in currently.

All I can say is " I WANT MORE .... " , and I cannot WAIT until next issue (and it feels so nice to hear myself say that again!!)

Long Live This New Legion!!!
Originally Posted by Catonyx

I have to agree with this statement! smile

I'm happy (and relieved) to say that this issues was a bright spot for me for this iteration of the Legion. I don't know if it was the classic DC Special of the 70's and 80's feel that I got from it or what. It's hard to explain exactly.

Maybe it was the nostalgia of seeing some Legion fan faves like Mr. Grell, and some classic costumes (that was a nice homage-y touch!) that made me feel the way I do, but I think it's more about the story that was told here. I think that I learned more about this new Legion from just this one issue than from the 8 preceding ones combined. Honestly.

Dare I say I am fanboy-ing out again, and that alone is one of the few positives in this surreal time that we are living in currently.

All I can say is " I WANT MORE .... " , and I cannot WAIT until next issue (and it feels so nice to hear myself say that again!!)

Long Live This New Legion!!!

I did like the Bouncing Boy scene and classic costumes with Dawnstar.
White Witch and Dream Girl are interesting but I like them in most versions.

I had to laugh at the Crav General Nah interruption because somebody made that point on the boards recently and its becoming funny overkill...we have 9 issues and a Crav General Nah barge in 4 of them ?

It is indeed from the Reboot. I remember greatly disliking it there too.

I really have to marvel at Bendis. Everything I dislike from past Legion continuities, he seems to like; and vice versa. He's the Bizarro-me. Now I know how tiresome that character must have been to Superman.
Removed because too much spoilers, sorry
Originally Posted by Blacula

Sorry, I'm not getting the pun reference. Could someone explain it to me, please?
I just read this issue, and I... actually generally liked it! I am starting to get some sense of personality of SOME Legionnaires now at least.

IDK if I should spoiler space this, I mean the thread title says SPOILERS. but i will.

1) Brande continues to be very politically savvy. Her saving throw at the end? "oh yes I knew you would prove your loyalty to the UP haha it was all part of my plan hahahaha". I... actually found it brilliant!

2) White Witch's backstory and character. Her being recruited specifically by Brande. And differentiating her from Dr. Fate quite well re origins, where their magic comes from....

3) Nura. She still has shades of the best of Nura, the gravitas.

4) Tasmia. She acted a bit like the voice of reason here, a bit like a spokesperson. Such a far cry from, say, early Reboot Tasmia and her "I don't care what you have to say" approach

5) Chuck having a Doctorate

6) as mentioned, Legionnaires having a common cause yet being split re trust in the UP. Blok, Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Jacques trust the UP. Ayla, Dawny, Chuck aren't big fans. this is so cool. and also the fairly spirited debate they had over it.

7) Hey, at least Rose got a call out...

8) Blok's reaction of betrayal re Pres Brande.

9) the Garth/Ayla debate.

10) Cham calling Brande (his mom) a coward

11) Gim offering to apologize for Mon. that pegs Gim as a mature type

12) Jo calling HIS dad selfish, and Mysa figuring out General Nah's plan

13) Brande still calling out General Nah at the beginning, like all "um actually you're also in trouble"

What I did dislike...

1) still not getting any info on green skeleton person, it's getting old

2) Violet,. Sun Boy, Star Boy, Karate Kid, Tenzil being left out. yes, I know, we have a TON of characters, but I blame the marketing and solicits for giving us unreasonable expectations

3) I'm still a bit annoyed at how we get so many group scenes of nearly all the Legionnaires running here, flying there, like yeesh! break into smaller groups or something!

4) Mon-El. This version is such a whiny brat. I agree 10000000% with Gim, he's getting tiring, how many times is he going to fly off in a huff because somebody said something he doesn't like, and you know that he knows that nearly nobody can catch him and talk sense into him. GROW UP ALREADY, he is easily the most immature of all the Legionnaires BY A LIGHT YEAR

5) Monster Boy being cut off before he could basically explain how he's different from Cham. Although, at least it was brought up by the founders. Fine.

6) Jo just suddenly gets captured by Nah off-screen, like I am SO confused now as to where people should be. when did this happen?

what I am neutral on:

1) Lu. I can't get a sense of whether each of the three is meant to have a certain personality (like in SW6/Reboot where Orange - shy and not confident, Purple - volatile). They definitely disagreed, but I can't assign a personality type. I can't say that Blue = this, Red = that. which is fine. maybe they're supposed to have distinct personalities, and Bendis hasn't figured it out yet... not surprised...

2) Gold Lantern implied to have connections to OA. Like sure, why not. Will see where it goes.

I'm still not a big fan of the storytelling or pacing, but enough happened this issue to keep me interested... still willing to stick it out for a few more issues

Sorry, I'm not getting the pun reference. Could someone explain it to me, please?

I think it's a play on the movie Citizen Kane - Charles Foster Kane was the main character. At least I think that's what they are talking about.
If Skeleton Person doesn't get a name by December I have the PERFECT idea for this year's holiday commission
Overall I enjoyed the last two special art issues. There were times where the art changes were really abrupt and the story suffered a bit. But welcoming former Legion artists back to the legion and Mike Grell handling the Dawnstar page was worth it all. Next time let's see some Barry Kit-son and Steve Lightle. The story is definitely moving along and although it's been a year of new Legion stories (Do we really count the first two issues of Millennium?) these nine issues have taken place in just a matter of days on New Earth . Every month I'm left wanting more so that to me is a success. It looks like we are headed for some kind of big dark saga, but before that, it would be nice to see some the team break off into smaller units and see then actually helping the United Planets and learning to work together as a team.
Long Live The Legion!
I think it's a play on the movie Citizen Kane - Charles Foster Kane was the main character. At least I think that's what they are talking about.

Yep. It just seems sort of random, since otherwise Chuck seems completely unlike CFK. Though maybe we should imagine him sounding like Orson Welles?
ah, thanks! Yeah from what I know about Citizen Kane, Chuck doesn't seem like him at all
Maybe his parents were scholars of ancient cinema?
I kinda see Chuck looking like a young chubbier Orson Welles, but yeah aside from that the name is a weird homage....then again, Ultra Boy's not particularly biblical once you get past him getting eaten by a giant beastie either *shrugs*

I kind of like Charles Foster Taine as a name just because you hardly ever see superheroes with a memorable middle name and it's fun to imagine Luornu using his whole name when she's mad at him lol...also it sounds like one of those names that could easily exist in the real world as a cute coincidence that people bring up every now and then (says the dude who gets asked if he has a brother called Han at least once a fortnight)

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
For what it's worth, I've always thought they should introduce more parallels with the biblical tale into Ultra Boy's origins. The original is really a classic fleeing from your responsibilities, something really bad happens, so you go back an fulfill your responsibilities story, which is pretty much a perfect structure for a super-hero origin.

I'm sorting starting to become fond of "Charles Foster Taine" as some sort of obscure allusion on the part of Chuck's parents that nobody in the 31st century will get, but everyone he meets from the 21st century comments on. That would be kind of funny.
I'm sorting starting to become fond of "Charles Foster Taine" as some sort of obscure allusion on the part of Chuck's parents that nobody in the 31st century will get, but everyone he meets from the 21st century comments on. That would be kind of funny.

I like this idea...the Legion team up with the JSA, and Jay Garrick's like 'come on fella really though' and in the background somewhere, Tinya and Shady are whispering about how weird it is this happens every time they go back to the past laugh
If Skeleton Person doesn't get a name by December I have the PERFECT idea for this year's holiday commission

I talked to Ryan yesterday and broke my cardinal rule to ask for a spoiler...who is the skeleton person. He wouldn't say, but added that her ORIGINAL name is revealed in the Legion Millennium trade paperback out next week in the Design section.

I'm not sure the design team was supposed to leave the notes on the sketch when they put it together but... laugh still, there it is! Along with a few characters we still haven't introduced yet!
Looking forward to someone who buys the TPB spoiling it! wink
Will Skeleton Girl be a name we recognize? I get that impression from Sook's comment, but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Chuck's upgrade is pretty good; it removes the silly from the bounce. On the downside, writers don't have to go out their way to make him clever and likeable to justify the silly power.

Is Saturn Girl giving Dawnstar a dirty look on page 3, or is she just grumpy about the proceedings?

Still don't get the difference between Chameleon Boy and Monster Boy, apart from the latter being limited to monsters.

With all the different artists, I flipped the page and thought they'd added a space station and a Green Lantern to the story, but it was the Snickers ad.

Mon-el's a jerk, unfortunately.

The White Witch is older than the others, so this Legion apparently has no age limit. We saw where hatred took Mysa in 5YL (nowhere good), so Xola's expression of hatred for Mordru and the President and someone/something else augurs poorly. I like her look - more mystic warrior than Mysa ever appeared to be.
Since her father's Mordru, I hope we don't get another child/parent fight as the Jo/Crav thing has dragged on - although as was pointed out, it's only been a few days, not months in Legion time.

Less pleased with the Great Darkness stuff, because it's hard to top the original, but we'll see where that goes and who's involved.
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Will Skeleton Girl be a name we recognize? I get that impression from Sook's comment, but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

I think, as EDE has pointed out in the supposed Gold Lantern, Dr. Fate and Monster Boy issue, she is an original & new character not based on a previous Legionnaire.
I KNOW THE SKELETON GIRL'S NAME

AND THE OTHER LEGIONNAIRE TOO
The trade collection includes designs by Sook and names.

Skeleton Lass is X-Ray Girl, the one seemingly new Legionnaire is Entropy Kid, and there's another one named Radius Boy
In the bored Milleniun special we have that Invisible Kid is Lyle.
Now in this 9 episode Invisible Kid is Jacques.
This Legion has two Invisible Kids.?
No just one
The trade collection includes designs by Sook and names.

Skeleton Lass is X-Ray Girl, the one seemingly new Legionnaire is Entropy Kid, and there's another one named Radius Boy

Interesting. hmmm
Thank you Sarky! I can finally start working on her smiley.
Also they changed "Lyle" to Jacques but they didn't fix him originally being identified as from Earth.

Also for some reason in the designs Ayla's got the Lightning Lass costume but she's called Light Lass.
So, wait. No "Soultaker?" Maybe the speculation that she's in the Legion was false and she'll be a new legacy JSA member or something.
No Soultaker at all
Also they changed "Lyle" to Jacques but they didn't fix him originally being identified as from Earth.

You mean in-story? So that pretty much answers the question of whether the inconsistencies were intentional/part of the story.
Yeah but there was some stuff they didn't fix. White Witch is still listed as "MYSA NAL" and Mon-El is "LAR GAND."

Also Ayla's costume wasn't re-drawn.
Yeah, but if at least one inconsistency was "fixed", that suggest the rest are just carelessness/lack of planning.

Maybe Citizen Kane is still on all the "Top 10 Movies of All Time" lists in the 31st Century? wink
It seems that this Bendis is changing the argument on the fly according to his convenience, leaving aside what he had written before.
With this view I expect nothing good in the following months. Only the hope that after Death Metal, this Legion disappears and another more coherent one remains in its place ...
For those that are interested in being spoiled about the new Legionnaires, I've added them to the roster at the LegionofSuper-Heroes.com website members section.

Go look only if you don't mind being spoiled. You'll notice that both the new Legionnaires beyond Skeleton Girl appeared in #9.

Much thanks to Jude/Sarky for the images and information.
Thanks Nighty, Sarky.

I guess one benefit of Bendis' large cast is that it is so easy to just slip someone in...

I really hope he does something with these new Legionnaires. I am a bit intrigued, but also cautious, and I don't want to get frustrated because these new members are here but nothing is done with them.

(on the other hand, if nothing cool is done with them, maybe I'll feel a little less annoyed that many of my favorites weren't included!)
v8 Issue 9

Brande, who seemingly instigated the proceedings against the Legion, returns everything to the status quo by suddenly reprieving them. Perhaps Brande felt the need to show the Legion's strengths to the assembled UP. But we didn't hear anything from the assembly, and they were not involved in the decision making. Therefore, it's left as a basic framing device, uses as an excuse for two fill-in issues.

I'm still of the opinion that whatever the plans were for the opening several issues, they were torpedoed. It's another issue with the status of the team turning 180 degrees and Crav Nah blustering, thumping someone and being quickly subdued.

White Witch lets the reader know that The Great Darkness is coming, and that Crav's plans to take control are related to it. He's been after other objects, not just the trident. This would match Darkseid grabbing artefacts following his return in GDS. Perhaps Grav is doing this to keep them safe. Xola's (which is how I think of her) reveal is that Mordru is her father. This is mobster Mordru from the first issue, rather than galactic conqueror Mordru from previous volumes, so it's not carrying as much impact.

Nura lets everyone in the assembly have some idea what the threat is. We even get a full-page spread. But it tells us nothing. The only people to know nothing about it are the readers. Much like all the stories about the objects Crave has been after. Perhaps there were supposed to be teasers throughout the last half dozen issues. As we've been on a cosmic hamster wheel of the same plot for 9 issues, maybe the cast are off having adventures in an unpublished book. I can only hope that the originally planned issues gave us a proper introduction to the team, and had them involved in a lot more than we've seen.
It seems that it's enough to tell us that Gold Lantern has an awesome origin, after all. Perhaps we'll next pick up after the Great Darkness Saga, with one of the cast telling us how terrifying it all was, and how lucky the galaxy was to get through it. smile It seemed as though the Gold Lantern group are expected to remove Crav rather permanently.

As it is, the team have hardly organised or done anything, and they're going to be thrown into Bendis' take on the Great Darkness Saga. I doubt everyone will make it out the other side of that. It's a shame there's been little more than mobs of Legionnaires in each issue, to connect us to the cast. It's a shame they don't have much of a track record before the big event.

There are some nice character moments in the issue, showing us that they don't all have the same views of the UP. This makes sense. It everyone loved the status quo, there wouldn't have been the need to form the team. A few new faces in the issue. I wonder if they were inserted due to ethnicity issues and long time issue of nearly only humans on the team?

It's much like last issue. In terms of plot, it's much like the last several. The little character bits are giving it some interest. That's mainly because of having read previous volumes. I doubt I'd still be picking it up as a new reader. Wasn't there a Lyle way back?
For those that are interested in being spoiled about the new Legionnaires, I've added them to the roster at the LegionofSuper-Heroes.com website members section.

Go look only if you don't mind being spoiled. You'll notice that both the new Legionnaires beyond Skeleton Girl appeared in #9.

(Click here to see full body images of the Design pages in question)

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Thanks again to Sarky for the images.

Attached picture entropykid.jpg
Attached picture xraygirl.jpg
Attached picture radiuslad1.jpg
Attached picture radiuslad2.jpg
Much prefer this original color scheme on EK.
That might've just been the lighting, but with the editing on this book it's likely EK will have the original coloring
Anyone think that X-Ray Girl is a descendant of Mr. Bones?
Much prefer this original color scheme on EK.

It could be that the colorist wasn't provided the design sheets for a reference and just went with their best guess. This book doesn't appear to have an editor.

Really COOL new website you made there! I really like it!!!
So are there design pages for all of the current Legionnaires in the TPB?
so Entropy Kid at least appears to

be able to age and de-age living things... or bring things to life / drain the life out of them

i wonder and hope that

it's not time manipulation, else i'd be like, WHY not Kid Quantum II? tongue

no clue as to what X-Ray Girl or Radius Lad can do. Does X-Ray Girl have super x-ray vision?
no clue as to what X-Ray Girl or Radius Lad can do.
It would be funny if Radius Lad's unique power that he's super proud of is that he can instantly tell you the measurements of any circle, but the Legion took him because all of his race are ridiculously tough or fast or can shoot eye beams or something that's actually useful, but which he totally doesn't get the fuss about considering everyone on his planet can do it laugh
I love that idea, raz!
I will be perplexed if X-Ray Girl has the power to go through things, like an X-ray, since that's the power that Phantom Girl used to have... smile

Radius Boy sounds like a cheeky alternative name for Bouncing Boy. "I have growth powers, like Colossal Boy, but where he grows taller, I grow *wider!*"
Maybe Radius Boy has the power to cast the same effect on anything within his power radius. Like Threeboot reject Virus, except he has more effects.

"Ok, everybody around me is sleepy."
"Ok, everybody around me is angry."

For best results, drop him into the middle of an enemy mob - just make sure no allies go near him.

Hah, based on this team's track record in battle, I doubt that will happen. Nobody listens to anyone else tongue
It's hard to listen when EVERYONE IS TALKING OVER EVERYONE
You know... X-Ray Girl's outfit would be super-revealing if anything other than her skeleton were visible...
You know... X-Ray Girl's outfit would be super-revealing if anything other than her skeleton were visible...

"Scandalous! You could see her *pancreas!* Some people, the nerve!"
Just read #9. I decided not to read this thread until I had read the whole issue.

I like a lot of the points made above. My own feelings come closest to Ibby's. I kind of liked this issue.

Thinking about what makes the Legion so distinctive I think it is firstly that the team (or sub-teams) are powerful AS a team whatever the individual members powers and second that (like other good team books) the characters have different personalities that mesh and don't mesh but still work together. We didn't see any battles in this issue (although it would appear that President Brande was hoping for exactly this result regarding Grav the General Nah and I suppose that was a team effort by Dream Girl, White Witch and Gold Lantern - Mon-El's contribution was basically a negative) but we did get a lot more characterisation, specifically the type that differentiated the members and that I liked.

This is probably the most Legion-like book so far in my view, which is sad but also hopeful for the future. Now I want to see them succeeding as a team, something they have yet to do (even though Brande praised their efforts back in issue 6 where they suceeded by accident and NOT working as a team).
RARE POSITIVE COMMENT ABOUT THIS BOOK FROM ME ALERT!

OK, one of my favorite Legion stories from the old Adventure days was "The Civil War of the Legion". The concept of a team of heroes splitting into two warring factions was unheard of to me then and, I thought, ripe with potential. Unfortunately, the execution ended up being a little lackluster and anti-climactic, but I always wanted to see a good writer try it again.

I've exorcised most of this era from my memory, but the Threeboot writers attempted to do a story like that again didn't they? I think they did, and I think I remember that they somehow made it worse than the original version, with all of the characters fighting over the most ridiculously flimsy and juvenile of motivations.

Now, I think it's obvious that Bendis is a fan of the Threeboot, and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that he is laying the groundwork here (with all these opposing motivations for joining the team) to do his own version of that classic tale. And, to his credit, I think he has done a much better job of creating actually believable and relatable stakes for the team to split apart and oppose each other in such a war over, than any of the earlier writers did.

I just hope he can execute the story better than the earlier writers did too.
this does spark a nice thought. I would like to see more of the UP day to day. We caught glimpses of it in the Garth/Ayla intro scene, and some of the Legionnaires' comments (such as Jacques') give hints. it would be great to see more of the UP in real life.

I agree that there's rich, ripe groundwork for this. And it reminds me a lot of our present day United Nations! some people think it's the best thing ever, others think it's a waste of time, and many others have opinions somewhere in between.
Now that the cat's out of the bag...here's some scans of the two pages shown earlier.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture LSHM_Gold_Lantern_X-Ray_Girl.png
Attached picture LSHM_Radius_Lad_Entropy_Kid_Ferro_Lad.png
Guys does anyone else get Antennae Lad vibes from Radius Lad?
Guys does anyone else get Antennae Lad vibes from Radius Lad?

Good point. Maybe that's what his power will be or something similar.
I noticed that there were no Invisible Kid or Computo designs. They both must have come later.
I was thinking maybe Radius Lad could roll up into a ball like an armadillo, but that would be a bit too much like Bouncing Boy.
I noticed that there were no Invisible Kid or Computo designs. They both must have come later.

No Invisible Kid was there, you just couldn't see it. He was standing right next to X-Ray Girl.
GET IT. IT FUNNY CUZ INVISIBLE.
RARE POSITIVE COMMENT ABOUT THIS BOOK FROM ME ALERT!

OK, one of my favorite Legion stories from the old Adventure days was "The Civil War of the Legion". The concept of a team of heroes splitting into two warring factions was unheard of to me then and, I thought, ripe with potential. Unfortunately, the execution ended up being a little lackluster and anti-climactic, but I always wanted to see a good writer try it again.

I've exorcised most of this era from my memory, but the Threeboot writers attempted to do a story like that again didn't they? I think they did, and I think I remember that they somehow made it worse than the original version, with all of the characters fighting over the most ridiculously flimsy and juvenile of motivations.

Now, I think it's obvious that Bendis is a fan of the Threeboot, and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that he is laying the groundwork here (with all these opposing motivations for joining the team) to do his own version of that classic tale. And, to his credit, I think he has done a much better job of creating actually believable and relatable stakes for the team to split apart and oppose each other in such a war over, than any of the earlier writers did.

I just hope he can execute the story better than the earlier writers did too.

Cosmic Boy wanted a look around B5's room/lab and went when B5 was on an away mission; then Brainiac 5 opened up the comms of Cosmic Boy saying something that upset Ultra Boy and it spiraled from there.

I re-read 1-6 of this series and noticed a few more things:

-The "Great Hall" for the UP said it is on Daxam which is interesting if they are doing the Great Darkness Saga similar to the old one.

- If they are doing the Great Darkness Saga I kinda hope Mon-El is such a jerk because Darkseid has been starting to mess with him.

-Brande seems to be playing the President Chu tweener role from Reboot; Saturn Girl was able to get by some of her "mental shields" and said something like she's interested in herself and war.

-They've made it a point at least 2 times with Bouncing Boy to mention how strong or powerful he is.
Now that the cat's out of the bag...here's some scans of the two pages shown earlier.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Where are these images taken from? That new Millennium TP that comes out "today"?
Originally Posted by Catonyx
Where are these images taken from? That new Millennium TP that comes out "today"?

Yes. But it released yesterday with DC's new schedule. These images came from the online Comixology digital version.
Thank you for the info Nighty! I will pick up my copy today at my local CBS. Can't wait! smile
I was thinking maybe Radius Lad could roll up into a ball like an armadillo, but that would be a bit too much like Bouncing Boy.

you mean like Monster Boy and Chameleon Boy, but not really? tongue
Radius Lad reminds me of that Legion applicant that Jim Shooter introduced when he took over the Threeboot. He was sworn in with Night Girl and 2 others. Turtle maybe?
Yep!

Turtle
sarcasm,

it does bother me that the ranzzes are black, as a black male who has been a legion fan since the 70s its hard not to be bothered by a pointless race change that does nothing but show a stereotypical black family... no father, multiple kids, poor, yeah exactly what todays minorities want to see in a comic book. if anything bendis should switched out blok for tyroc and made troy the first legionnaire. making him a little older 19 to 21 age range and an extensive military background would have made a lot better sense and gone a long way to give love to the most criminally underused, under developed legionnaire ever.
Well said.
Originally Posted by Lucifer07
if anything bendis should switched out blok for tyroc and made troy the first legionnaire. making him a little older 19 to 21 age range and an extensive military background would have made a lot better sense and gone a long way to give love to the most criminally underused, under developed legionnaire ever.

I like the idea of Tyroc as being perhaps the only law enforcement officer for the closed community of Marzal, which is mostly a post-crime society, and a bit flummoxed (and impressed) with how the United Planets manages to maintain any semblance of peace with so many clashing cultures and social standards. Like most 'ex-pats,' he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder about how things are done so much better back home, but he's cognizant of the differences and how unfair it is to try and judge a society of hundreds of worlds, each with their own (sometimes conflicting) ideas of right and wrong, by the standards of a relatively isolated community like Marzal, that can come to consensus so much easier.
100% agree with Lucifer07.
sarcasm,

it does bother me that the ranzzes are black, as a black male who has been a legion fan since the 70s its hard not to be bothered by a pointless race change that does nothing but show a stereotypical black family... no father, multiple kids, poor, yeah exactly what todays minorities want to see in a comic book. if anything bendis should switched out blok for tyroc and made troy the first legionnaire. making him a little older 19 to 21 age range and an extensive military background would have made a lot better sense and gone a long way to give love to the most criminally underused, under developed legionnaire ever.

Love this idea,

Originally Posted by Set
if anything bendis should switched out blok for tyroc and made troy the first legionnaire. making him a little older 19 to 21 age range and an extensive military background would have made a lot better sense and gone a long way to give love to the most criminally underused, under developed legionnaire ever.

I like the idea of Tyroc as being perhaps the only law enforcement officer for the closed community of Marzal, which is mostly a post-crime society, and a bit flummoxed (and impressed) with how the United Planets manages to maintain any semblance of peace with so many clashing cultures and social standards. Like most 'ex-pats,' he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder about how things are done so much better back home, but he's cognizant of the differences and how unfair it is to try and judge a society of hundreds of worlds, each with their own (sometimes conflicting) ideas of right and wrong, by the standards of a relatively isolated community like Marzal, that can come to consensus so much easier.

and this addition to it!
sarcasm,

Thank you, Lucifer07.

At this point I'm genuinely unsure if I'm making an valid criticisms about the Bendis Legion or if I'm just making up stuff to justify not liking it.

Also yes that would've been a great idea with Tyroc.
© Legion World