Legion World
Posted By: ajohns2012 The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/07/22 07:54 PM
Hopefully we'll learn some more tomorrow because while this is interesting, it's not a lot to go on:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/who-is-the-legionnaire-in-dcs-golden-age/
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/07/22 10:06 PM
Just to repeat what I said in the Recent Legionverse sightings thread:

There's one Legionnaire who is genuinely a Golden Age character, has basically been forgotten/pulled out of continuity (even with occasional attempts to restore some version of him), and whose existence would be a *huge* deal for both the Legion and the DC Universe as a whole.

Even though the silhouette doesn't really fit at all... could it be original recipe Superboy?
Posted By: Set Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/07/22 10:08 PM
I'm A) cautiously optimistic and B) squinting at the notion of an event baddie named 'Nostalgia.'
Posted By: Reboot Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/07/22 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Just to repeat what I said in the Recent Legionverse sightings thread:

There's one Legionnaire who is genuinely a Golden Age character, has basically been forgotten/pulled out of continuity (even with occasional attempts to restore some version of him), and whose existence would be a *huge* deal for both the Legion and the DC Universe as a whole.

Even though the silhouette doesn't really fit at all... could it be original recipe Superboy?
I mean, only one of the other characters has any basis in IRL history (Aquaman), the rest are pure retcon. I wouldn't necessarily bet on it being a known character.

Originally Posted by Set
I'm A) cautiously optimistic and B) squinting at the notion of an event baddie named 'Nostalgia.'
It all sounds pretty bad to me, TBH.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/07/22 11:43 PM
Oh I know who that is! It's clearly NAME AND ADDRESS WITHHELD
Posted By: supragirl Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/08/22 05:13 PM
My two guesses are:

A) Thom. Johns has claimed that every JSA connected character is going to play a part in this storyline. It wouldn’t surprise me if he pulled Thom back out, even if the silhouette doesn’t match any known Thom design.

B) A new character with the info blacked out so we all speculated wildly about who it could be.

EDIT:

Okay, just read the issue.
there’s a character really reminiscent of Dirk on the spread of all the missing characters. But could possibly be Sandy.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/08/22 06:21 PM
After blacking the character out and making a mystery of it, if it just turns out to be Jo Schmukims from the third moon of Simballa, that's going to be pretty lame.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/13/22 03:25 AM
Someone did a side by side comparison of the Legionnaire and Booster Gold and now I am scared that it's either Booster, or God help us all, a teenage version of Rip Hunter
Posted By: Set Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/13/22 07:54 AM
After blacking the character out and making a mystery of it, if it just turns out to be Jo Schmukims from the third moon of Simballa, that's going to be pretty lame.

Oh, that's such a comic book thing to do.

Cover, "Who is the mysterious X?!" with a bunch of characters staring in shock at a figure in silhouette.

Inside, "Some schmuck you've never heard of, and will never see again, after this event is over!"
Posted By: Alexander Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/13/22 01:02 PM
I'm fine with it being Booster, but I also don't think it can be. That would imply Booster was pulled from the timeline, but we all know about him. Maybe its another Booster from another timeline, one that doesn't inspire agony and derision in others?

Maybe its that possible future-timeline Legionnaire that betrayed the Legion but never got a name? Maybe he's one of the several unknown Legionnaires shown at the end of the Legion's debut appearance issue (later retconned to be established Legionnaires). The hair and Bronze Age ring don't match the James Cullen Kid Quantum.

Knowing Johns, its going to be a legacy character. Kite Lad. Dog Welder II.
Posted By: supragirl Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/13/22 04:20 PM
I really can’t see it being Booster. He’s not a Legion member (despite a weird amount of non-Legion fans insisting that he is). He’s not even from the same century. It would make absolutely no sense.
Posted By: Pov Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/14/22 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Set
I'm A) an event baddie named 'Nostalgia.'

OH,GREAT, they're fighting the perfume from THE WATCHMEN.... the Legionnaire is Kid Manhattan! lol
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/14/22 06:55 PM
Don't even joke.
Posted By: Pov Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/14/22 07:47 PM
rotflmao
Posted By: Elvar Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 12/18/22 06:36 PM
I am going to go with Sun Boy. John's co-created the character of Sun Girl for the Titans series in the 2000s so he clearly must like Sun Boy.
Posted By: Set Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 12/31/22 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Pov
Originally Posted by Set
I'm A) an event baddie named 'Nostalgia.'

OH,GREAT, they're fighting the perfume from THE WATCHMEN.... the Legionnaire is Kid Manhattan! lol

Kid Manhattan should totally be named after another borough. Kid Brooklyn or Kid Bronx or Kid Queens! smile

Or one of the sub-sections of Manhattan itself, like 'Kid Harlem' or 'Kid Village.'
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 12/31/22 06:11 PM
"The Manhattan Kid" sounds like a good nickname!
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 01/01/23 12:20 AM
"Kid Brooklyn" could just be Brooklyn from the Boy Commandos!
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/18/23 01:51 AM
Ben Pares - he stole a time bubble and accidentally became a Golden Age hero with his knowledge of... The Future!
Posted By: Set Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/18/23 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by DrakeB3004
Ben Pares - he stole a time bubble and accidentally became a Golden Age hero with his knowledge of... The Future!

OTOH, I want to see a story where someone like Ben Pares attempts to 'pull a Booster Gold' and go back in time (or to a more primitive culture) and use future-tech or knowledge to become a super-hero/celebrity, and somehow just mess it all up and fail spectacularly (shows up at historical disasters in advance to prevent them heroically, but fails to think things through and ends up appearing to have *started* the disaster, since he made a big show of appearing before it happened and doing stuff!)...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/18/23 07:31 AM
Looking at the headlines, Ben Pares wondered if bringing his beloved Earthquake Beast with him to the 21st century was a bad idea.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 05/23/23 09:48 PM
So am I right that pretty much all of these characters have been introduced at this point, but we still know nothing about the GA Legionnaire?
Posted By: stile86 Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 05/23/23 11:38 PM
Most of the Thirteen (particularly the 8 kids) appeared in Stargirl: the Lost Children. Witch Girl also appeared in JSA.

Harlequin's Son, Thaddeus Brown/Mr Miracle, Vladimir Sokov/Red Lantern make appearances or at least cameo/mentions in JSA. (This Thaddeus apparently also made earlier appearances in Detective Comics).

I don't think there has been any reference to either the Golden Age Aquaman nor the Golden Legionnaire.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 05/24/23 12:51 AM
Thanks! I couldn't remember if Mr. Miracle had appeared, and totally skipped over Aquanan when I was trying to figure this out earlier.
Posted By: Alexander Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 05/24/23 07:57 PM
The Golden Age Legionnaire was mentioned by Johnny Thunderbolt (is that his name?) in the issue of JSA where Helena Wayne first visits the original JSA. But only in passing.
Posted By: stile86 Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 05/25/23 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Alexander
The Golden Age Legionnaire was mentioned by Johnny Thunderbolt (is that his name?) in the issue of JSA where Helena Wayne first visits the original JSA. But only in passing.
You're right! I had forgotten that.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/03/23 09:48 PM
Have we found out who the Legionnaire was?
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/03/23 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Have we found out who the Legionnaire was?

Not that I'm aware of. And now that Geoff Johns has left DC, we'll never know.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/03/23 11:10 PM
I think he has six more issues of JSA to write, so it's possible we might still get an answer, but I'm not betting on it.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 11/03/23 11:14 PM
I think he has six more issues of JSA to write, so it's possible we might still get an answer, but I'm not betting on it.

Oh, I didn't know he was still under contract.

It'll take at least six YEARS for him to write all six of them! And meanwhile he's supposed to be heading up that Pseudo-Image coalition. The best laid plans and all that...
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 05:21 AM
So, the Legionnaire turns out to be....

(Don't look if you don't want to know)

....which fits into the theme of this JSA...

Mordru
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 12:39 PM
Oh, for the luvva...

shake

I don't know whether to rage or laugh!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Johns.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
So, the Legionnaire turns out to be....

(Don't look if you don't want to know)

....which fits into the theme of this JSA...

Mordru

When I saw the issue and thought about it I realized

Johns is doing an Iron Lad from the Young Avengers. And then I realized that was why he chose a Ferro Lad esque mask to hide Mordru's identity and went OH MY GOD. I admit, I was right AND wrong about this being LSV related.
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 03:12 PM
What the actual f***?!?!?!

Gaaah.

Thanks, Nighty. I was thinking about going to the LCS and picking this up. I'll wait until it gets to the app...
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 03:38 PM
Levitz having Universo be a renegade Green Lantern was a good idea.

But this, THIS is a TERRIBLE idea!
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 04:14 PM
I mean, I know he's out the door, but I'm officially done with Johns at this point. I just can't.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 05:31 PM
I'm gonna be honest that this really doesn't bother me as much as you'd think.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 05:40 PM
What's annoying me the most about this version of the JSA is that Johns is focusing on a stupid "bring villains into the Society to reform them" plot and ignoring ALL of the other stuff that just gets hinted at just in this very issue. I'd rather get page time on any of the glimpses we get than the actual main story we are told. I want to read about the actual JSA since they've been neglected for a long time. But no, he spends all of the issue/series on this stupid plot and boring villains.

This series might be worth a read as a different take if we had at least one other JSA title dedicated to the real characters that came out like say on a monthly basis, but as it is and with these endless delays - it's not fun or enjoyable to read.

And maybe "The Legionnaire" should have had a long haired silhouette in the tease leading up to this. Just saying. I'm not even sure I understand the logic of it all or how this was one on the "lost" characters to time given the original premise with this reveal.
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 05:57 PM
I think you've hit the nail right on target there, Nighty.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 06:55 PM
So, the one good thing I have to say about this, is that while reading it I had a sudden suspicion it was going to turn out to be
Earth Man
, and so at least it was better than that.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 07:04 PM
So, the one good thing I have to say about this, is that while reading it I had a sudden suspicion it was going to turn out to be
Earth Man
, and so at least it was better than that.

Is it, though?

Trading a fascist mass murderer for a wife beating misogynistic mass murderer?
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 07:17 PM
Well,
it's not clear that it was that version of Mordru, whereas, given that it's Johns, it would almost certainly be that version of Earth-Man.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 07:20 PM
Well,
it's not clear that it was that version of Mordru, whereas, given that it's Johns, it would almost certainly be that version of Earth-Man.

Point well taken, EDE.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/19/24 07:40 PM
Don't get me wrong: I pretty much hate this, it's just I got my expectations up that it was going to be even worse! I'd also considered that it could be
Superboy-Prime
while talking to Mattropolis the other day!

One puzzling thing about the issue:

When the GA Legionnaire shows up, he shocks Michael Mayne, presumably with magical lightning? But the point had just been made that the Harlequin's suit made him resistant to magic?
Posted By: stile86 Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/20/24 01:00 AM
When he made the comment about
still getting use to all these new powers, I thought maybe he was going to somehow be some version of the Composite Superman who had all the legionnaires powers.

Sarky, your comment about the inspiration for this story fits so well.

The criticisms made above are fair, but I am waiting to see what happens with the story. There have been some apparently terrible ideas in the past that with good writing have become terrific stories. There is certainly a lot of mysteries still here, not the least of which is why he has a Legion ring.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/20/24 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by stile86
When he made the comment about
still getting use to all these new powers, I thought maybe he was going to somehow be some version of the Composite Superman who had all the legionnaires powers.

That was exactly my thought process!

I thought it sounded like the Composite Superman, and was thinking it might be cool for a second, and then suddenly realized that it could just easily apply to Earth-Man, which seemed much more likely!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/20/24 12:01 PM
uggggh, that other alternative would be much worse. unless that other alternative will end up dying a messy death, I'm ok with that!
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: The Golden Age Legionnaire - 03/21/24 12:51 AM
So, we know that the GA Legionnaire was working with someone else last issue, and that he had wanted to acquire Ruby but GL got to her first, so it seems likely that the story he gives the JSA at the end of this issue may not be entirely accurate.
© Legion World