Legion World
okay a new topic [ before i go to bed !!! ]

did you guy's in the US, ever get the UK comedy films in the "Carry On .... " series ???

they were made in the 60's and 70's !!! and they were very much filled with slapstick fun !!! and crude jokes !!!

Matthew.
Posted By: Stu Re: "Carry On ....... LEGION WORLD" !! - 11/30/03 12:40 AM
I'd never heard of them here in the States. When I visited London a couple of years ago and saw all the "Carry On..." related paraphernalia, I had no idea what it was! Thankfully, Terence was kind enough to explain it to me. smile

There were quite a lot of "Carry On..." films, weren't there? Did people in Canada and Australia get them as well?
Posted By: Vee Re: "Carry On ....... LEGION WORLD" !! - 11/30/03 12:53 AM
No I don't recall ever hearing about them. I've always enjoyed British comedy so I'd probably love 'em!
Posted By: Arachne Re: "Carry On ....... LEGION WORLD" !! - 11/30/03 02:49 AM
We got them in Canada. They're a blast.
Posted By: icefire Re: "Carry On ....... LEGION WORLD" !! - 11/30/03 02:50 AM
Never heard of it!!!!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: "Carry On ....... LEGION WORLD" !! - 11/30/03 08:27 AM
We had them, they used to show them Saturday mornings in the school gym. And I see most of them are in video stores arouond here. I don't imagine that we got all the jokes, as children. Haven't seen one in years. They were wild silly.

In fact, I'm feeling the urge to write a poem about them....
Posted By: Greybird Re: "Carry On ....... LEGION WORLD" !! - 11/30/03 02:45 PM
The "Carry On" films got around a bit in the U.S. during the '60s when many local TV stations were desperate for cheap movies to run in the wee hours. They never caught on. They didn't seem to have either the Python absurdist wit or the Benny Hill manic energy.

I caught "Carry On Camping" once in full, one insomniac night, and it left me flat. As with many sitcoms, the humor didn't seem to transfer across the pond very well without translation. For example, when "'Til Death Us Do Part" became "All in the Family."
my original intent of this thread, was for members of LEGION WORLD to choose which "Carry On ...." character/actor they would be !!!

but as no one has really seen them shocked i guess, we can't !!! oh well ....

Matthew.
Posted By: Arachne Re: "Carry On ....... LEGION WORLD" !! - 12/01/03 03:12 AM
I'd be Cleo, of course.
© Legion World