Legion World
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/26/04 06:04 PM
Now the snow comes!

A day late and a dollar short.
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/26/04 06:50 PM
Lucky you. Still no snow here:(
too bad.

I thought you'd been expecting some the other day?
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/26/04 07:58 PM
Yeah well the weather forcasters are not renowned for getting it right are the lol
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/27/04 08:25 AM
We're finally getting snow here - lots! - but, like Kent, the dollars seem to be in short supply. confused
Posted By: Future Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/27/04 09:10 PM
Here's some Florida sunshine in a zip-lock bag for Kent and Cramer. For when that snow inevitably overstays its welcome.
Posted By: ferroboy Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/28/04 01:13 AM
I had a white post-Boxing Day. It couldn't have come one or two days earlier, could it?
Posted By: Loser Lad Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/28/04 04:32 PM
So, what exactly is Boxing Day all about anyway? I mean, besides just another day off of work and an excuse for a big blow-out sale at The Brick. Living so close to Canada I've known of Boxing Day my whole life but I never knew what it was for or what it celebrated.
i had a wet boxing day so i just sat in pjs and played video games, made art, and ate left over pie. oh, and i made lavender yam bread pudding tongue
The only thing I ever really knew about it was (1) it was the holiday for the servants who had to work Christmas, and (2) there was a tradition of 'swapping places,' lords serving the servants, bosses following employees' orders, etc.

I first heard about it on MASH, when they opted to do the trading-places move for a holiday episode one year (with 11 years of a show based on a war that lasted 3, they had to find creative ways to milk the holidays!)
Posted By: Loser Lad Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/28/04 06:04 PM
Ah. See now all this time I just figured it was like Muhammed Ali's birthday or something. laugh

Thanks for the insight Kent!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/28/04 09:24 PM
Never really knew the origin myself, but (according to this article) it is an upper/lower class thing as Kent explained.

"The holiday's roots can be traced to Britain, where Boxing Day is also known as St. Stephen's Day. Reduced to the simplest essence, its origins are found in a long-ago practice of giving cash or durable goods to those of the lower classes. Gifts among equals were exchanged on or before Christmas Day, but beneficences to those less fortunate were bestowed the day after.

And that's about as much as anyone can definitively say about its origin because once you step beyond that point, it's straight into the quagmire of debated claims and dueling folklorists. Which, by the way, is what we're about to muddy our boots with.

Although there is general agreement that the holiday is of British origin and it has to do with giving presents to the less fortunate, there is still dispute as to how the name came about or precisely what unequal relationship is being recognized."

Other origins that have been considered are outlined in the full article at:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/boxing.asp
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/26/16 10:59 AM
[Linked Image]

Superbaby on Boxing Day!
Drat. I have neither boxing gloves nor boxes to put things in. How in heaven's name can I celebrate Boxing Day?
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/27/16 08:29 AM
Shadow boxing, Ibby!

(I'm sure there's a 3boot scene of Shadow Lass boxing, or at least beating up her cousin or Ultra Boy.)
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I'm dreaming of a white Boxing Day - 12/27/16 09:41 AM
I feel everybody has already seen this video coming from me to this thread...or at least Thoth has. smile

(Dedicated to LW's #1 Moz fan, MLLASH, because no matter what heavenly realm he's in now, he will always outrank me. I'm happy to stay runner-up to him in the Moz fan stakes forever.)
© Legion World