Legion World
Posted By: Sonnie I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 07/30/07 04:35 PM
tomorrow...

It's my favourite place to be, absolutely fantastic countryside, breathtaking views and tremendous hills to climb! I've never been to anywhere with such amazing light. It has 4 of the highest 6 hills in Britain and my all time favourite Munro (hill over 3000 ft) to climb - the Devils Point - and it's the deepest valley in Britain, being deeper than most of the UK is high! If I have time on Friday when we get back I'll try to post a few pics for you.

Oh an dit's supposed to be haunted by a big sasquatch type beastie called the Gray Man of Ben Macdui - fabbo!

No matter where I travel to or end up living I always feel that I have to visit the Cairngorms when home in Scotland.

I'm getting all excited!

Hooray for me laugh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lairig_Ghru
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 07/30/07 11:58 PM
Sounds wonderful(and sort of sci-fi). Hope you have a good time.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 07/31/07 05:50 PM
It looks great too. When I was in Scotland, my friends took my up along the river Dee but we did not go to Lairig Ghru. My favorite part of the trip was Dunnottar Castle [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sonnie Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 08/06/07 03:25 PM
That's about three miles from where Harbi's dad lives Quis! It's rather bonnie around there.

I've sent a couple of pics to scott to upload for me so hopefully I'll have the pics for you tomorrow. We only took a few this time as the weather was fairly appalling but if you want to see more I've a heap from the last time we were away and it was snowing!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 08/06/07 03:30 PM
Glad to hear it was a good time Sonnie!

And its awesome that you're posting again!
Posted By: Sonnie Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 08/09/07 02:15 PM
click to enlarge

At Glen Derry, amzed at how fast the clouds were moving! I wasn't smiling so much five minutes later when the heavens opened and we were drenched!

click to enlarge

This is four pictures stitched together - you can see the dodgy blur in the middle, but I'm no photoshop pro so this was as good as I could get. It's me (again!) falling over on top of the Devils Point (drinking Whiskey at the top of a windy mountain is never clever kids, trust your unca Keith on that) with a grand view of the Cairngorms behind.

These were the only really good pictures from the whole trip - I'll post more next time we're away but 'til then hope you like these. Thanks Scott for your technowizardry.

Keith
Posted By: walkwithcrowds Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 08/09/07 07:10 PM
AMAZING photos Sonnie.
I first heard the story of the Grey Man when I was a kid and it scared the life out of me.
I'm always saying I'll travell up there and have a look about for myself.
I've got holidays due...maybe then.

See? You've inspired me to face a childhood fear.

My hero!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 08/12/07 02:34 PM
Soooooo pretty...
I envy you so much right now smile
Posted By: Ghost of Numf El Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 08/13/07 01:13 PM
I've never been up there.

The only thing I know about the place is something that an old school teacher told my class - There are valleys in the Larig Ghru where the sun has never shone.

For a ten year old brain that's just WOW!
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 08/14/07 12:29 AM
Everybody should go to Scotland at least once in thier lives. That and Bolivia. Different accent but otherwise, same thing with bigger hills and shorter people.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: I'm going to the Lairig Ghru - 08/14/07 12:30 AM
"i" before "e" except after "c" or when sounding like "ai."

their
© Legion World