Legion World
Posted By: Cobalt Kid When is Hurricane Season - 01/17/06 07:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I was hoping someone could give the low-down on Hurricane season in the Mid-Atlantic (Florida, Central America, Bahamas, etc.).

Does it run from June to December--or is that a very broad definition of it?

Thanks guys!
Posted By: minesurfer Re: When is Hurricane Season - 01/17/06 07:25 PM
My wife and I just spent our delayed honeymoon in the Outer Banks (North Carolina for those of you who were wondering) last fall. According to the rental agent June to December is generally accepted as hurricane season, but the end of August through October is the "height" of the season.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: When is Hurricane Season - 01/17/06 07:53 PM
Adding to what Minesurfer said, tropical cyclones can form before or after the official North Atlantic hurricane season--June 1 to November 30--but it's unusual and when storms do form, they rarely achieve hurricane status. Epsilon was one of only two hurricanes on record to form after the end of the season.
Posted By: Vee Re: When is Hurricane Season - 01/17/06 08:28 PM
Both Minesurfer and RL are correct but there is something else to keep in mind. Cyclonic activity is cyclical and each cycle lasts about 20 years. We have been on the upswing for the past few years with increasing activity each year and more powerful storms. You should expect very active hurricane seasons for the next decade or so and then it will begin the downturn into a more quite period.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: When is Hurricane Season - 01/19/06 02:04 PM
Pretty much what they said, Cobie, but in my exprience the end of May through the end of November is a rougher but slightly more reliable estimate.
© Legion World