Legion World
Posted By: Quislet, Esq San Diego 2006 - 01/25/06 10:11 PM
I am going to make this a sticky so people can discuss the convention on one thread.

I am thinking of going and was wondering who else is thinking/planning on going. The con runs from July 20 to July 23 San Diego Comic Con web site

I am also thinking of taking the train from Boston to San Diego (a 3 day trip) and then flying back. While in San Diego, I'd be looking to see who wants to share a room.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/26/06 03:20 AM
I'm definitely in.

My regular travelling companion is opting out, so I may be looking for roomies as well. I've extended an invite to some local friends, though, so I'm waiting for a response from them first.

The Comic Con travel agency opens Feb. 15th to book hotel rooms.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/26/06 05:19 PM
I am hoping (fingers crossed) to go.

At Boston, Abin mentioned a road trip, Quis... maybe we Northeasterners should explore this before you buy your tix? Even if you're sure you want to fly back, someone else may fly in and ride out (maybe me... dunno if I want to take a full two weeks off).
Posted By: Semi Transparent Fellow Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/26/06 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
I am going to make this a sticky so people can discuss the convention on one thread.

I am thinking of going and was wondering who else is thinking/planning on going. The con runs from July 20 to July 23 San Diego Comic Con web site

I am also thinking of taking the train from Boston to San Diego (a 3 day trip) and then flying back. While in San Diego, I'd be looking to see who wants to share a room.
Quis, the train trip sounds great. Of course, I tend to romanticize train travel and think of the grand days of the New York Central and the Silver Streak.

[Linked Image] I remember as a little kid seeing my grandmother off on a train similar to this.
Posted By: Lad Boy Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/26/06 07:37 PM
Won't make it to CA, but it's hard to imagine my not being able to make it to Baltimore in September.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/26/06 08:47 PM
Financially, San Diego isn't in the cards for me this year. However, if they do another con in Boston this year, I'm there! smile
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/28/06 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure to be there - but how many of the days depends on my internship/summer school/work schedule.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/31/06 01:20 AM
train looks like $179 each way for me, or $358... vs. $317 for air. factoring in train food and time off, I'll probably have to stick to air, unless Abin makes us a deal I can't refuse.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/31/06 03:16 PM
Kent,

Well I can't really take the time off for a road trip. I figured the train ride would be solo.
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/31/06 05:03 PM
Quis-- I took a train trip with my mum and grandma ('cause grammy's afraid of flyin') from San Francisco to Indiana once. It took... three days, I think, though I'm not sure. It was about ten years ago (putting me around age 9). Anyway, I just remember it being very fun!! smile Personally, I love the train alone. You can do stuff or relax... it's very nice.

Anyway, this year, I'm definitely going to attempt going myself. I'll be in summer school again but I think I might be able to make the weekend. Maybe even Friday if I get a good class schedule. smile

I'm going to talk with my cousin about staying at her house in Carlsbad (which I may or may not have spelled right), since I'm poor and can't make any reservations 'til I have my schedule for summer (which won't be for at least three months).

But, yes. I'm going to try and go to my first con ever!! laugh Giant geekiness awaits me. And I... I am ready to embrace it. wink
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/31/06 05:31 PM
It's worth going, Cal. Mind you, the best part of going is hanging with all the LWers wink
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/31/06 05:43 PM
Hanging with & meeting Legion Worlders is the main reason I am planning on going.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/31/06 05:44 PM
well i'm certainly going this year, gonna make a grand trip out of it. first i'm going fly to Las Vegas on the 17th spend 2 days there, probably check out Star Trek: the experience, and just check out the sites, leave on the 19th and drive to San Diego for the convention. hope to finnaly see some of you LWers there.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/31/06 05:59 PM
Caroline and I can't make it this year but John mentioned something that we thought about. Would anyone be interested in meeting in Vegas for a day or two? We could drive there and back in a day's time so Mom would be okay. If enough people were open to that we could have a couple of days in Sin City. smile
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 01/31/06 06:31 PM
I'd be willing to fly to Vegas.

Maybe some of us could car-pool to SD from there.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/01/06 05:40 PM
wow! Vegas flights are a lot cheaper! (75-100 less than SD) I'm almost tempted to book right away!
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 01:01 AM
The price of flights from here to San Diego has dropped from $950 to $700 in about a week! It's like gambling; should I buy now or wait for it to go lower...?

Vegas sounds tempting too. I definitely would be willing to pitch in for a rental car to San Diego, as long as I don't have to drive! Oh, decisions, decisions...
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 12:24 PM
Since I'll probably be settled in my new home by then, I seriously considered setting some money aside and going to San Diego, but then I decided that would be too self-indulgent at this point, and that I should wait until my life is completely in order.

But I've been craving a convention since I started reading comics again last year. I will definitely go to a convention in 2007 (making it exactly ten years since the last one I attended.) And I hope the proposed LSH 50th Anniversary gathering in 2008 does happen.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 12:47 PM
Well, since they just cancelled WizardWorld Boston, I guess I won't be making any conventions this year frown

Everyone is welcome to come to Maine this summer laugh
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 12:53 PM
Make that the autumn and I might just take you up on that Cru. We Always wanted to see New England then.

Although Cobie may have you tied up on affairs of state by then of course. wink
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 12:56 PM
Thanks, Cru, that's really nice of you. Pennslyvannia to Maine should be no trouble for me at all. I'll keep you updated.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 01:34 PM
Actually, if people want to do a non-convention get together, anyplace in New England is scenically nice: Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont have great foliage and stuff in the autumn. If people don't mind sharing accommodations, we could probably get a few double motel rooms to share expenses and do like a long weekend or something.

Granted, New England can't boast the same draws as WW Boston (you probably won't find stars of the same magnitude as Margot Kidder, after all), but we could probably find something to do smile
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 01:54 PM
How about Vermont? I've always wanted to try the maple syrup there. Mmmmmm...
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
wow! Vegas flights are a lot cheaper! (75-100 less than SD) I'm almost tempted to book right away!
Vegas Baby! Unfortunely for me I will be going in May for a Bachelor party and the con is a weekend where I have a wedding to attend.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Granted, New England can't boast the same draws as WW Boston (you probably won't find stars of the same magnitude as Margot Kidder, after all), but we could probably find something to do smile
Just tell her that the cell phone reception is good and Margot will be there.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 05:13 PM
Upstate NY is also quite beautiful in the fall, I must add. Here in the northern Catskills, peak colors are usually around Columbus Day weekend (the 2nd weekend in October, for you non-Yanks); places further north (such as Adirondacks and Vermont) are usually a week or two ahead.

Mechana, I know you're up in Canada, but I'm amazed flights are THAT much. Cheapskate that I am, it hurts my brain to think of someone spending that much without going to another continent. Hopefully Vegas may be cheaper for you.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 05:38 PM
Well, it is looking more and more like San Diego is definite for me. I just have to request the time off. I am definitely going to take the train to San Diego and fly home. I will be looking for people to share the hotel room with.

And although Vegas sounds tempting (the tempting part would be to meet Scott & Caroline), the train fare is more to go to Vegas than San Diego (and that includes an 8 hour bus ride from Salt Lake City to Vegas - the train doesn't actually go to Vegas)
Posted By: Pov Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 06:04 PM
So take the train to SLC and hitch with Scott & Caroline... wink
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 06:05 PM
Hey, the more the merrier! smile
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 06:34 PM
No Fair!

I'm getting wanderlust again and wanna meet Scott and Caroline too. smile

Wonder if I can get way with cancelling the wedding? lol
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/02/06 07:04 PM
Ya-Hoo! I got the time off for San Diego. But not it the usual way. We just had a meeting and our department is being terminated. My last day is Feb 17th. In one sense I have been expecting this since I started. The department is/was working on specific pojects and those always have an end. Still it is a bit of a shock and now I have to think about what to do next.
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/03/06 01:02 AM

Mechana, I know you're up in Canada, but I'm amazed flights are THAT much. Cheapskate that I am, it hurts my brain to think of someone spending that much without going to another continent. Hopefully Vegas may be cheaper for you.
Looks like I could fly to Vegas for about $250 (CDN) and from San Diego to home for about $300. I could put the money I'd save towards a Vegas hotel and car rental. So I wouldn't actually save, but I'd get more for my money wink
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/03/06 06:05 PM
For those who want to book flights early, we should probably nail down some target dates. How many days do we want in Vegas? 7/15 is a Saturday... we'd probably want to be on the road by the 19th at the latest.

Also, it's often to cheaper to fly out of the same place one flies into... if several of us would fly out of LV, also, we need to discuss return dates.

As I see it, there's opportunity to pass through LA in one direction, and maybe Joshua Tree or other desert areas on the way back to Vegas.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/03/06 06:37 PM
Well, I am still planning to go to San Diego. That may change depending on circumstances. I still want to go by train. I don't think I'll be able to do Vegas. Even just going to Salt Lake City (and riding to Vegas with Scott & Caroline) the train fare to Salt Lake is more than the fare to San Diego.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/06/06 09:09 AM
Wow, sounds like we could potentially have a pretty sizeable group in SD! Did Gary already say if he was going to be around SD during con?
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/07/06 12:03 AM
Vegas is out for me. With work the way it is, I don't think I'll be able to get the extra time off.

I am almost certain now that none of my local associates will be joining me this year. So i may well be looking for roomies.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/07/06 02:49 PM
If you'll have me for a roomie again, I'm game, as long as the place is affordable.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/07/06 03:06 PM
Ditto for me. I am 80% sure that I'll be going to San Diego
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/07/06 03:38 PM
three amigos rooming again!
It'll be like The Swamp on MASH... since Quis is from Boston, he gets to be Winchester. Miner doesn't have a moustache, so he's Hawkeye, and I'll be Beej.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 02:27 AM
If you'll have me for a roomie again, I'm game, as long as the place is affordable.
You know, defining "affordable" is not a bad idea at this point. Might be better to discuss the specifics in PMs, though.

Miner doesn't have a moustache, so he's Hawkeye
Only if Bendis isn't writing.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 02:48 PM
ROAD TRIP!

No who's father owns a Caddie Convertable? Hmmmmm?

rotflmao

I'm planning on San Diego this year, the real Pagan Lass is bugging me to set up the flights and schedule now so that she can plan around it and demand matching funds. I'm thinking of flying out on the 20th and returning on the 24th, renting a car (or minivan, hint, hint), and doing some sightseeing outside of the convention. Has anyone made a decision on where to stay? I don't want to wind up on the other side of town from everyone else again.

The fact that my current schedule is set in jello may become a problem, but I'll deal with that as it changes.

OBTW, Mike, it looks like I might be spending some time in Kittery in the near future, so hopefully we'll be able to get together while I'm up there.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 02:54 PM
Abin,

The con dates are July 20-23. Also there is a Preview night on the 19th if you buy a 4 day ticket in advance. So your flight schedule would have you missing the con.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 03:14 PM
Good thing I haven't booked Yet! Thanks Rob!

My previous post has been edited...
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 03:39 PM
ok this newbee needs some advice; now on the SDCC site it says that they're gonna start taking reservations on the 15th. would it be advisable to just book my room through them or try alternative means? i'd like to get a room not too far away from the convention center. i don't mind a good walk but i wouldn't want to be all the way cross town. what would be the besat way to do it?
and Kent touched on something how long of a drive is it from Vegas to San Diego? because i hadn't thought of stopping in LA but then again it would be cool to quickly site see for a few hours or maybe spending a day 'cause i know that San Diego is a stones throw away from LA.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 08:05 PM
Abin-
some of us are looking at flying into Las Vegas to meet up with Scott and Caroline, who won't be coming down to SD with us.

Day trippin is an excellent idea; in the past, I've usually made at least two during the con (but then, I was staying a whole week in those days). Palomar's not that far away, among other things.

John-
it looks like about seven hours by bus, according to Greyhound.com, so driving should be less... depending on if we want to make side trips. Both LA and Joshua Tree Nat'l Forest aren't far off route; death valley and Hoover Dam are close as well, but not really en route.

Mechana seemed interested in joining us, too.

Miner-
Let's wait and see what posted rates are going for; then we'll have a better point to start discussions.
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 11:00 PM

Hi guys: all my plans are on hold for now. Just found out my beloved kitty (19) is terminally ill and will require daily medication and regular injections for the rest of her days. I don't think I'll be able to leave her.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 11:28 PM
Miner-
Let's wait and see what posted rates are going for; then we'll have a better point to start discussions.
Fair enough.

I get the SDCC updates mailed to me, so I already know what the travel agency is charging for nearby hotels.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/08/06 11:31 PM
Originally posted by mechana:
Hi guys: all my plans are on hold for now. Just found out my beloved kitty (19) is terminally ill and will require daily medication and regular injections for the rest of her days. I don't think I'll be able to leave her.
We completely understand.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat's condition. She's very lucky to have such a caring owner.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/09/06 03:59 AM
Abin-
some of us are looking at flying into Las Vegas to meet up with Scott and Caroline, who won't be coming down to SD with us.

Day trippin is an excellent idea; in the past, I've usually made at least two during the con (but then, I was staying a whole week in those days). Palomar's not that far away, among other things.

John-
it looks like about seven hours by bus, according to Greyhound.com, so driving should be less... depending on if we want to make side trips. Both LA and Joshua Tree Nat'l Forest aren't far off route; death valley and Hoover Dam are close as well, but not really en route.

Miner-
Kent, Let me know when & where we would be meeting up in Vegas, Meeting Scott and Caroline on the way is a great idea. And if a trip to Vegas is part of the deal then maybe I can convince the Pagan lass to come along.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/09/06 03:06 PM
Sorry to hear that. I wish you the best under these circumstances. I've known a few felines to reach such ages; I fully understand your situation.

Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
She's very lucky to have such a caring owner.
I'll ditto that.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/09/06 03:43 PM
Abin-

so... you're letting us meet the real Pagan Lass? Cool!

We haven't set dates yet; I imagine we'll set either the 18th or 19th aside for travel, so we'd probably arrive over the weekend (15th and 16th). We haven't nailed it down yet.

For the Vegas portion, so far, it looks like you, your lady, me, legion-JOHN, and I wouldn't be surprised if STU wanted in, too.
Posted By: Semi Transparent Fellow Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/09/06 09:24 PM
It would be a shame for me not to attend - given that San Diego is relatively close for me. Why, I could even drive down and check out Buttonwillow on the way down. (Actually, there's nothing to see in Buttonwillow - it's just a truck stop in the central valley - but it has the best name ever.)
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/10/06 03:46 AM
Abin-

so... you're letting us meet the real Pagan Lass? Cool!

We haven't set dates yet; I imagine we'll set either the 18th or 19th aside for travel, so we'd probably arrive over the weekend (15th and 16th). We haven't nailed it down yet.

For the Vegas portion, so far, it looks like you, your lady, me, legion-JOHN, and I wouldn't be surprised if STU wanted in, too.
Kent, Alice's umm... I mean the real Pagan Lass's commitment to making the trip so far is a definate maybe, I'm just hoping a side trip to Vegas will be enough enducement to get her to go along.

But, either way I'm planning on going. The side trip to meet Scott and Caroline is a fantastic idea that just makes the prospect of this trip that much better.

Now I just have to figure out how to squeeze that much time off into my schedule...
Posted By: legionadventureman Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/10/06 04:00 AM
Some day, some how, I will meet all of you, I swear smile
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/13/06 03:13 AM
Just a reminder that the Comic-Con travel agency starts booking hotels this Wed. at 9 AM PST.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/17/06 05:02 PM
a quick glance through shows rooms are a-fillin quickly.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/17/06 05:16 PM
a quick glance through shows rooms are a-fillin quickly.
Kent,

I am definitely going. (to heck with being unemployed) So if you & miner want to book a room, count me in on sharing it.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/17/06 05:22 PM
I'm definite too... looking around the listings so far, we may have to find our own... most places on the Con list look booked solid, Weds to Fri, at least.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/17/06 05:31 PM
looking off-site, I found a Best Western way up in Old Town... not close to the Con, but it's close to the trolley line, so getting back and forth wouldn't be too hard.

It's $114 for 7/19, then goes up to $181 for the next three nights, then back down to $114 thereafter. Split up, that's not too bad.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/19/06 11:55 PM
If you haven't yet, I say go ahead and book this.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/20/06 12:44 AM
As soon as we know what days everyone would want to meet in Vegas, Caroline and I will book our rooms for there. Right now we are looking at staying at the Stratosphere. Cheaper than the Marriotts around town, even at employee rates. Plus they are doing a vampire themed stage show so I promised Caroline we'd go see that.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/20/06 01:57 PM
I'm looking at flying in on Saturday, 7/15, Scott.
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/24/06 09:26 PM
Well it looks like I might be going after all. I'm thinking of booking a San Diego hotel room this weekend, once I make some room on my Visa!

Not sure about Vegas yet. Have to do some more research and see if it all fits into my budget.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/24/06 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
It would be a shame for me not to attend - given that San Diego is relatively close for me. Why, I could even drive down and check out Buttonwillow on the way down. (Actually, there's nothing to see in Buttonwillow - it's just a truck stop in the central valley - but it has the best name ever.)
Yes it would be a shame.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/25/06 01:32 AM
Semi. you HAVE to show this year! There are so many LWers comimg, it'd be a CRIME if you didn't!

In fact, all you California LWers better attend!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/25/06 01:32 AM
It's the Dallas and BOSTON of 2006!
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/25/06 01:35 AM
guys i'm cool with whatever you want to do about Vegas as long as i get to go to Star Trek: the experience.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/25/06 01:42 AM
So would the Vegas plan be for the weekend prior for those going then? Like the 15th - 17th or 18th? We could probably come in on Sunday (16th) and leave on Wednesday (19th).
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/25/06 01:49 AM
It certianly loks like the pre- weekend, Scott, based upon PMs I've gotten.

with further thought, the 16th sounds better to me to fly in on.

there's a question whether us SD-bound are overnighting in LA for the 18th? let's weigh in so Scott and Caroline can plan... I'm flexible either way.
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/25/06 08:10 AM
In fact, all you California LWers better attend!
But... but... ah, who'm I kidding. If I'm not in the DR, I'm so there. What month's it in?
Posted By: Greybird Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/25/06 09:43 AM
[Kent Shakespeare]
{[...] there's a question whether us SD-bound are overnighting in LA for the 18th? let's weigh in so Scott and Caroline can plan }

If any of you are meeting at or centering on a location in L.A. or environs, I'd love to join you for dinner. I'm not at all sure I can swing even a day trip down to San Diego this year, frankly.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/25/06 01:06 PM
Cali-

The con runs from July 20 to July 23 San Diego Comic Con web site
Grey-

sounds like a great idea! It looks like there's at least four of us driving from Vegas, but everyone hasn't chimed in yet about the LA idea. Even if it doesn't work out, me or several of us may make a day trip up.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/26/06 03:28 AM
Semi, Cali, Grey, MEL, and all other Legion Worlders from California, or who just happen to be visiting Sunny California at the right time, just remember, the first round of drinks is my treat.

Now where can we find an "L" shaped table and a transplanted Aussie Waitress?
Posted By: Semi Transparent Fellow Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/26/06 04:01 PM
I really am going to try and come down this year. I'll try to book a hotel room within the next week or so. Any suggestions?

The next decision is whether to drive (the easiest), fly, or take the train.

The last concern I have is how much time I'd spend at the con. I know from Wondercon in SF that about 4 hours is my limit. I imagine that at SD that maybe increased a bit, but I can't see myself spending several whole days there. What else do people plan on doing while in San Diego?
Posted By: Yk Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/26/06 05:25 PM
Well...
for myself, whenever I make a San Diego trip I simply MUST spend a day in Tijuana.

laugh

Think of it as a "Search and Acquire" mission.

I've been debating whether or not I can make it out to SD in July. So put me down as a possible attendee. (it's all about the benjamins)
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/26/06 09:41 PM
Semi-

The best, closest, affordable place that's not yet booked solid is:
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05481

I've been recommending it to everyone I've been PMing with; I'll bet a lot of us will wind up there.
FAQ: Yes is is across the bay from the Con, but the ferry runs 9-9ish, and the buses run 5am-1am-ish.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/26/06 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Abin Quank:
Now where can we find an "L" shaped table and a transplanted Aussie Waitress?
wouldn't it be a trip to find the same one from Boston?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/26/06 09:45 PM
YK-

You BETTER come! Maybe you, Stargazer, Beags and Rockhopper can car-pool!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/26/06 09:45 PM
I really am going to try and come down this year. I'll try to book a hotel room within the next week or so. Any suggestions?

The next decision is whether to drive (the easiest), fly, or take the train.

The last concern I have is how much time I'd spend at the con. I know from Wondercon in SF that about 4 hours is my limit. I imagine that at SD that maybe increased a bit, but I can't see myself spending several whole days there. What else do people plan on doing while in San Diego?
Well, I am mostly going to hang out with & meet Legion Worlders. So spending all four days at the con is not a necessity for me. I am actualy planning to fly home on Sunday, so probably won't be at the con that day.

I have asked my niece is she wouldn't mind in my great nephew come with me. I had mentioned the Boston con to him before it got cancelled and he recently asked me about it again. He is about 12. He's not yet into comics too much. He did like the Teen Titans cartoon and I had gotten him a 1 year subscription to Teen Titans Go.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/26/06 09:50 PM
Semi-

I never spend the whole time at the con. I usually go to Tijuana for part of a day, and try to get out for another daytrip (or two, for times I've spent a whole week out there). There's lots to do and see, and Abin plans on renting a minivan, so we've got options.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/27/06 04:02 AM
Brent,

I'm going primarily to meet many of the people who I've been corresponding with here for the last few years, the Con is a nice excuse to do that but it's only an excuse for me (and I believe Rob expressed a very similar sentiment).

For me the best part of the Boston trip was meeting and getting to know Julio, Rob, Sean, Des, STU, Miner, Nancy, Brian, Bill, Darden, Mike, and others. And I'm positive I speak for all of them when I say that the most memorable moments of the trip were away from the Convention when we went out to dinner as a group or just found ourselves sitting around BSing over a few cold ones.

And Kent is right, I do plan on renting a minivan, but a full size van isn't out of the question and I'd love to have a large enough group of us get together so that I have to make that upgrade...

So in the immortal words of Wolfman Jack, "Be there or be square!"
Posted By: Semi Transparent Fellow Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 02:46 AM
OK, I'm going to come. It might be fun to stay on Coronado Island. If I drive down, then I could drive to the con. I could also fit 4 people in my car. Is there parking near the con or is that a really stupid idea.

Now I just have to convince the new clerk at work that her continued employment depends upon her agreeing to stay at my house and look after my dogs while I go. evil (Actually, she already said that she would. She's a single mom and she thought it would be great for her son to get to play with the dogs. Oh, and I also offered to pay her. smile )
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 03:43 AM
Quiz and Kent - we are as of today booked in the Coronado.
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 07:06 AM
Okay, I'm so clueless it hurts. But I have questions for... anybody who can help.

1) About how expensive is this going to be? Is it better to book through the Con (assuming they still have rooms) or should I go it alone? Will it hurt me to wait to book because I'm still not sure on logistics...?

2) If I come on Thursday and leave on Sunday (guestimation on travel days from my still not posted summer schedule), will I miss a lot? I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to attend either of those days, since I'd be traveling -- it's, like, 4 - 6 hours from here, I think.

3) Does anybody know what parking's like at the Con itself? Is it ridiculous to drive myself to and from?

4) Okay, uhm... this might sound weird but... you guys don't, like, mind tag-alongs like me, right? I mean, I've only met Des and he won't be there so... yeah. >.> I know I'm still young and stuff, and I wouldn't wanna impose. But I'll know no one but LWers, since... yeah. (Most of my friends just aren't cool like us.)

Er, yeah. Help would be appreciated. Thanks all! <3
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Caliente:
Okay, I'm so clueless it hurts. But I have questions for... anybody who can help.

1) About how expensive is this going to be? Is it better to book through the Con (assuming they still have rooms) or should I go it alone? Will it hurt me to wait to book because I'm still not sure on logistics...?

2) If I come on Thursday and leave on Sunday (guestimation on travel days from my still not posted summer schedule), will I miss a lot? I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to attend either of those days, since I'd be traveling -- it's, like, 4 - 6 hours from here, I think.

3) Does anybody know what parking's like at the Con itself? Is it ridiculous to drive myself to and from?

4) Okay, uhm... this might sound weird but... you guys don't, like, mind tag-alongs like me, right? I mean, I've only met Des and he won't be there so... yeah. >.> I know I'm still young and stuff, and I wouldn't wanna impose. But I'll know no one but LWers, since... yeah. (Most of my friends just aren't cool like us.)

1) How expensive it will be depends on where you stay while you are there, a conservative estimate is probably in the neighborhood of $600 for the four days you are proposing. I'd suggest contacting Mechana and see if she's open to sharing a room. (which would cut expenses for both of you.)

2) For most of us the actual Con is less of a concern than getting together and getting to know the people behind the avatars. In fact you may have already noticed that some of us have expressed concerns that the Con itself is not somewhere that we can spend more than 4-6 hours each day. And no missing a day or two of the Con won't diminish the experience in any way but missing a group dinner or night on the town will IMHO.

3) Parking will be limited and ridiculously expensive, which is one reason I intend to rent either a mini or full size van and use the method we did in Boston; ferrying as many people as possible in a single vehicle. It’s cheaper to drive around picking people up than it is to pay for an extra vehicle to park.

4) We (and I firmly believe that I’m speaking for everyone) are delighted at the prospect of you “Tagging Along.” There is no possible way (and again I firmly believe that I’m speaking for everyone) that you will do anything but enhance the experience for all of us. Remember for most of us (if not all of us) the Con is just an excuse for a Legion World Get Together. Meeting you, and Semi, and Scott & Caroline (in Vegas), and Gary, and Grey (in LA), and MEL (if possible) and whoever else we can persuade to join the group is the real reason for the trip.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 01:18 PM
Just a note: as of this morning I'm also booked at the Coronado. (July 19th to July 24th)
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 02:20 PM
I'll ditto Abin on all of the above... plus my own thoughts on parking: Most of us are booking at the Coronado Best Western (see my link for Semi at the top of the page), which is fairly close to the con; one can either walk to the ferry (I estimate no more thna 1/2 a mile on either side), or take a bus (which stops at the corner right by the hotel) downtown; from the downton transportation center, there's one's choice of either a short walk or trolley ride to the con center.

I myself have grave doubts about parking anywhere near the con, but if we try it, it may as well be as Abin suggests.

As others have said, the main reason, quite frankly, is to socialize with each other. The con's a blast anyway, but I'm most looking forward to the meet-up.

You're definitely welcome as a 'tag-along,' whether it's one day or four!
Posted By: Semi Transparent Fellow Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 04:51 PM
Just as long as you don't mind us being old and walking slow. At least 4 of us have had hip replacements and use walkers. smile And if we fall asleep at tables and whatnot, please don't tie our shoe laces together. I've spoken to Abin and Kent and we're really looking forward to those crazy late nights. Why, we've even promised each other to see the other side of 9:30 pm on Saturday -- but that may be wishful thinking.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 07:11 PM

We would insist on you tagging along. That is if you don't mind hanging around old farts.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 07:25 PM
OK, I'm going to come. It might be fun to stay on Coronado Island. If I drive down, then I could drive to the con. I could also fit 4 people in my car. Is there parking near the con or is that a really stupid idea.

Now I just have to convince the new clerk at work that her continued employment depends upon her agreeing to stay at my house and look after my dogs while I go. evil (Actually, she already said that she would. She's a single mom and she thought it would be great for her son to get to play with the dogs. Oh, and I also offered to pay her. smile )
This is excellant news
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 10:57 PM
Aww, you guys are so sweet!! Thanks. laugh And, don't worry. I love old people. I get on great with my grandparents... wink Juuuust kidding. I know I'm just a fetus and you guys are already matured. But, either way, this baby's looking forward to meeting y'all!

The Best Western is a bit out of my price range (unless Mechana does want to share... which might be a little weird but... I dunno), so I went ahead and made a very cancelable reservation at a less expensive alternative (about 2/3 the cost) 8 blocks away. According to Yahoo!Maps, it's only a 2 minute drive.

Speaking of which, I have to drive to San Diego (unless Semi wants to/can give me a ride or someone has an insatiable desire to pick me up and drop me off at the train station), so I could give people rides to the con too. My car fits 3 others relatively comfortably, 4 snuggly. It's a compact. shrug If it's not needed, then I'd happily hitch a ride in Abin's van.

Uhm, yeah. I think that's it.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: San Diego 2006 - 02/28/06 11:07 PM
I'll be really disappointed if Cali doesn't give you guys at least one LiseStone during the trip!
Posted By: Yk Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/01/06 12:26 AM
How fun! Avoid the Kwaiverse if at all possible laugh
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/01/06 07:20 AM
Alright, sounds like a SD party to me! I'll bring the Ensure and rum...I book somewhere..I think Sheraton or something? I wasn't really paying attention. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be in summer school or an internship so I've just booked Friday and Saturday night for now. Ideally I'd like to be there the whole time but I don't know my summer plans this far in advance.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/01/06 02:10 PM

Speaking strictly in terms of the Con itself, Sunday is sort of a "cool-down" day. There's still plenty going on, but much of it is aimed at children. All the big movie hyping is generally over by then as well. If you have to miss one day, this is probably the day to miss.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/02/06 02:12 AM
Okay. We're booked in at the Stratosphere (World Tower) for three nights starting on July 16.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/03/06 04:50 AM
I looked that hotel/casino up today and it's a great deal, so will probably book there for the same three nights, I just need to find out who else is going to go for the entire trip, Vegas to LA to San Diego, besides Kent and Myself. As of now I'll be making the trip solo, but the Pagan Lass could realize that I'll be unsupervised for entirely to long and decide to come along. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/03/06 04:23 PM
Last I knew, it was us two, legion-JOHN and Mechana. I half-suspected STU might join us; but in Tuesday night's chat, it sounds like he won't be coming at all.

If you're planning three nights, then I gather we won't overnight in LA on the 18th? Fine by me, either way. It probably makes more sense; what can one really see in LA in a single day, after all.

I'm up for sharing a room in Vegas; not sure what John's plans are.

Mechana was tentatively planning on arriving on the 17th, if I recall right. So I guess leaving Vegas on the morning of the 19th makes sense based upon her plans, too.

It's about 6 to 6.5 hours driving, according to web directions, so we should be able to check-in and hit the preview show with the others by evening.
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/03/06 07:24 PM
Hi all: I see my name in here a few times, so I figured I'd better update you on my plans.

I think I'm going to have to drop my plans for joining you in Vegas. As much as I'd like to meet Scott and Caroline, I'm on a budget, and my number one priority has to be getting my butt to San Diego and hustling for work! I'm looking forward to meeting and spending some time with LWer's, but this is essentially a working trip for me: shaking hands, kissing babies, waxing editor's cars...

At the moment I can't offer to share my room with anyone (sorry Cali) since I may be bringing Shawn, if he can get the time off work.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/03/06 08:54 PM
sorry to hear it... but glad you can still do SD!
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/04/06 03:05 PM
Last I knew, it was us two, legion-JOHN and Mechana. I half-suspected STU might join us; but in Tuesday night's chat, it sounds like he won't be coming at all.

If you're planning three nights, then I gather we won't overnight in LA on the 18th? Fine by me, either way. It probably makes more sense; what can one really see in LA in a single day, after all.

I'm up for sharing a room in Vegas; not sure what John's plans are.

Mechana was tentatively planning on arriving on the 17th, if I recall right. So I guess leaving Vegas on the morning of the 19th makes sense based upon her plans, too.

It's about 6 to 6.5 hours driving, according to web directions, so we should be able to check-in and hit the preview show with the others by evening.
Kent, my plans are far from finalized, two nights with a stopover in LA is also a distinct possibility, whichever way lets us met the most Legion Worlders face to face is my preference. Sharing a room is also a possibility, but at this point, but for reasons previously mentioned. I'd hesitate to commit to that at this point.

<span style="font-size: 30px;">C'Mon guys! Join up! Let's make the Vegas/San Diego get together the biggest LW Gathering in History!</span>
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/07/06 08:24 AM
Who's hotel are we gonna do the keg stands in? Caliente, you're bringing the beer bongs right?
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/07/06 03:09 PM
I'm still thinking of going. If I can get working again, I might be able to make the time then. It would be a trip to meet the gang and stop in Vegas.

There's a Motel 6 near the center, much more my budget these days. I'll let you guys know if I can make it.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/08/06 08:01 PM
I've been going over and over my days-off and financials, but I just can't seem to find a way to make this work this year... frown

I'd love to come and hang out again though! Definately in the future and in other locations though...and there's always the off-chance I could make it work.

I hope everyone has a blast though! Kent, continue to pump everyone for the massive all LMBP/Legion World get together in 2008...make them sign a contract in blood!
Posted By: Stu Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/15/06 12:56 AM
Don't think I'll be able to make it to SD this year... I don't have much vacation and I'm saving it up for later in the year.

I was in SD earlier in the year, though... it was absolutely beautiful! Great food, too... I can definitely recommend a few places to eat for those who will be in town.

I stopped over in Las Vegas over the weekend briefly, but only saw the inside of the airport. I would love to go back again sometime soon...
Posted By: Stu Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/15/06 12:59 AM
If I don't go, that means Kent-Quis-Miner will have surpassed me in consecutive LW cons attended! Drat!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/15/06 01:15 AM
Originally posted by STU:
If I don't go, that means Kent-Quis-Miner will have surpassed me in consecutive LW cons attended! Drat!
AHA! The wheels are in motion, as he starts talking himself into going...
Posted By: Stu Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/15/06 01:39 AM
Actually, the wheels are in motion, as I start thinking of ways to foil your attempt to go... lol
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/16/06 04:40 AM
You know STU, If this trip goes off as planned I could come close to breaking your record for the most LWers met in person. BWAHAHA
Posted By: Yk Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/19/06 10:45 PM
Hah!

So far nine of us in one place at one time is the record, isn't it?

That's not including three "honorary members" either!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/20/06 01:05 AM
Originally posted by STU:
It's the new Triumvirate! Now toga-free!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/20/06 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Hah!

So far nine of us in one place at one time is the record, isn't it?

That's not including three "honorary members" either!
I think we're up to 13 at last count.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/21/06 07:34 PM
LW Boston:

Abin Quank
Kent Shakespeare
Outdoor Miner
Poverty Lad
STU
Fat Cramer
Varalent
Cobalt Kid
Quislet, Esq.
Faraway Lad
Loser Lad
Cru
Kinetix

Now imagine how many alts were there wink
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 03:52 AM
Ummm... You forgot one name Cobie... I mean we did make her an honorary member at the Chinese Place...
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 04:06 AM
Hey, I have a wonky (a.k.a. stupid) question...

Do sketches cost money? And, if yes, about how much? And would it be weird to propose to Geoff if he decides to show up while I'm there? Not that that would stop me, mind you... wink
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 04:13 AM
Well the artists do have to make a living...

As an example I paid $20 for the Sheena Sketch that Loser Recolored for me as Pagan Lass, and $15 to have Cartoon Lad do an original Abin Quank Drawing for me.

And what would be wierd (and wonderful at the very same time) would be if he Accepted your proposal. rotflmao
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 05:20 AM
different artists charge different amounts, given factors like their popularity, and the complexity of what you ask.

It wasn't a stupid question; it's quite legit, if you've never sought out sketches before.
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 06:45 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Abin Quank:
<strong>And what would be wierd (and wonderful at the very same time) would be if he Accepted your proposal. shake

Thanks for the info guys!! I dunno if I want a sketch or not but I was thinking it'd be nice to have something Flash-tastic for my room... smile
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 06:46 AM
Kent's right; nothing stupid about it.

One thing to note, especially for San Diego, is that artists who do sketches at the DC booth don't charge. They generally won't have the time to do something too complex, but it's free. You just have to wait in line and hope they get to you. Checking out the booth early to see who is scheduled for the day is a good idea.

As for the artists' tables, Kent's got the gist of it. It's a good idea to go there early as well, to make sure you get your request in.

As for the proposal, I saw his girlfriend do exactly that at a DC panel several years ago.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 02:10 PM
Cali, I also have it on good authority that Geoff himself likes to draw sketches (as does Brian Micheal Bendis) but people just never ask them for them. Geoff, of course, likes to draw Wally.
Posted By: Pov Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 02:19 PM
It's the new Triumvirate! Now toga-free!
eek <Averts eyes>

Grife, please put your togas back on, guys...! shudder wink
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 02:29 PM
Okay so what's the schedule look like then? I don't think I can make a full week of it all.

Caliente, are you still looking for a roommate?

When's the big meet and greet in Vegas?

All my sheets have print patterns, can I still use them for togas?
Posted By: Pov Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 02:38 PM
Vertical stripes are mor flattering... wink
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Cali, I also have it on good authority that Geoff himself likes to draw sketches (as does Brian Micheal Bendis) but people just never ask them for them. Geoff, of course, likes to draw Wally.
In Dallas, I got Mark Waid to sketch some dialog on my Legion Poster. OK he needed some prompting from Steve Wacker. Thank you Steve. And Thank you Mark.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 02:43 PM
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
When's the big meet and greet in Vegas?
Do we know yet who all is confirmed for Vegas? I'm thinking that Monday would be our best bet for a big get together there. Most shows are dark on Monday (IIRC) and Caroline wants to go see that new Vampire show but we won't subject the rest of you to that.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 03:00 PM
ok Scott (so far i should know by May) i want to be in Vegas on the 17th i plan on flying out on that day. i just got finished paying for my Comic-con ticks and hotel room @ San diego.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 03:07 PM
Caroline and I will be there on the 16th, 17th and 18th, leaving on Wednesday the 19th. So if Monday the 17th works out that would be great. If not, we would still have Tuesday night.

CJ, you still planning on arriving on Sunday?
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 03:23 PM
Yeah Sunday through Tue in Vegas, travel Wed to SD. I got a friend who'd love the vampire show, too.

I can't wait to spend the dog days of Summer in Vegas!
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/22/06 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Too bad he's not on the guest list for SDCC then, huh? wink Maybe he'll make a surprise appearance, though... I can always hope!!

Caliente, are you still looking for a roommate?
But... you're a boy... >.>
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/23/06 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Pov:
[b]It's the new Triumvirate! Now toga-free!
eek <Averts eyes>

Grife, please put your togas back on, guys...! shudder wink [/b]
Says the guy who doesn't wear pants.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/23/06 01:07 AM
[b]Caliente, are you still looking for a roommate?

But... you're a boy... >.> [/b]
There is evidence to that; sadly it is minimal.

If you're willing to overlook it, send me a private message. If not, it's completely understandable. I don't want to room with me either. wink
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/23/06 03:40 AM
Scott-

I'm still planning on arriving on the 16th, but haven't booked yet. Will do soon.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/23/06 03:44 AM
Cool. We'll definitely have to at least go to dinner on Sunday too.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/25/06 12:05 AM
sounds good. I've never been to Vegas, so I'm relying on your expertise as "locals"
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/25/06 06:37 PM
If you've got a car, there's actually a few comic book stores under 10 minutes from the Strip. I went to the Star Trek Hilton (c'mon, how could I not!) and bought a bottle of Klingon blood wine that was suprisingly good.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/28/06 09:10 PM
OK, so I bought my train ticket out to San Diego. That's right, I'll be traveling cross country by train to get to the con. I am so looking forward to the trip. There are 4 legs. First from Boston to Albany (5 hr 10 mins) then Albany to Chicago (15 hr 40 min) From Chicago, I go to LA, the longest leg of the trip (43 hr) and finally from LA to San Diego (2 hr 45 mins)

I was trying to see if my 12 year old great nephew could come with me, but that didn't work out.

So now I just have to purchase my con ticket and an airline ticket home.
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/29/06 07:53 AM
WOW! Now thats a train journey and a half. Its only when you see timings like that that us Brits get a sense of just how damn big America is. I would love to do a journey like that taking time to see the sights and relaxing and reading.

Hope you enjoy Quis
Posted By: Bevis Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/29/06 08:38 AM
Blimey, that is a train journey. I do all the travel bookings here at work and people complain when it takes four hours to get from one side of the country to the other. Kind of puts into perspective quite how small the UK is compared to the US.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/29/06 05:27 PM
Also for those LA based Legion Worlders, I have a lay over in LA on July 19th from 8:15am to 11:10am.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/29/06 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Bevis:
Blimey, that is a train journey. I do all the travel bookings here at work and people complain when it takes four hours to get from one side of the country to the other. Kind of puts into perspective quite how small the UK is compared to the US.
I've been told by fellow travelers it's very much like the Orient Express. Mind ya, murder isn't all that common on our trains... But the long ride, the varying landscapes and diverse mix of people gives ya that feel of Old World we 21st century kids rarely get in the New World

You get to see so much of the country, and every region is a different scene with different lingo and people. I'm a little jealous Quis.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 03/31/06 11:48 PM
OK, So who do we have confirmed for San Diego?

Me
Outdoor Miner
Kent Shakespeare
Abin
L.e.g.i.o.n.John
Semi
Monkey-eater Lad?
Caliente?
CJ Taylor?
Mechana?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/01/06 01:00 AM
looks like a complete list so far.
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/03/06 04:54 AM
No question mark, I've got my room booked!! But... how do I, like, buy a con ticket? (And how much are they?)

Man, I'm so helpless... it's just sad. Very, very sad.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/03/06 05:17 AM
You can buy tickets on line here Cali. You can still register for the four-day pass (includes the preview night) for only $50 if you pre-register by April 19.

Here is a direct link to the PDF registration form. Must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to open.
Posted By: Lone Wolf Legionnaire Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/03/06 05:51 AM
Never met another Legion fan In person I used to go to the Chicago Comicon when I lived there In the early 90's but I never knew Legion fans got together back then.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/03/06 05:04 PM
I'm confirmed for at least the weekend, hopefully longer!
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/04/06 04:36 AM
Thanks Scott!! laugh If I didn't have you guys, I'd never make it, man...
Posted By: Brainiac 5 Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/08/06 04:16 AM
I had to flake on Boston last year, but I really want to go to one of these. I'll see what I can scheme up...
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/10/06 02:20 AM
I'm still planning on making it to both Vegas and San Diego. But with recent engine rebulding, relocation, and job huntning problems, my plans are tentative til end of May at least.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/10/06 02:28 AM
After what I just had to drop on my car this last week, we came close to having to cancel Vegas. But, so far (knock on wood), our plans still hold. We just won't be seeing as many shows or visiting as many stores as Caroline wanted to.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/10/06 08:24 PM
I empathize. I've gotten the partial insurance reimbursement on my towing, but I'm behind as well. I planned by buy air tix this week, but have had to push back 2 weeks.

I'll by my Con tix this week, and air (hopefully) the week after.
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/13/06 10:35 PM
It's official: I bought my plane ticket yesterday!
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/14/06 08:42 PM
I mailed in my con ticket pre-order thingy yesterday!! Now all I have to do is figure out how to make sure my hotel reservation is set and all is good from this end. laugh

Yaaay, I'm sooo excited!! BouncingBoy BouncingBoy BouncingBoy Wheee~
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/14/06 08:54 PM
The only ticket I still have to purchase is for my flight home.

Now all I need is a cane and Caliente holding my arm all the time and people will think I am a sugar daddy. wink
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/14/06 11:13 PM
Aw, Quis. You know just a way to a girl's heart.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/15/06 05:37 PM
I mailed in my con ticket pre-order thingy yesterday!! Now all I have to do is figure out how to make sure my hotel reservation is set and all is good from this end. laugh

Yaaay, I'm sooo excited!! BouncingBoy BouncingBoy BouncingBoy Wheee~
I con fee is also in the mail. I'm anticipating leaving my job by July (probably before), so time isn't an issue.

Now I'm debating whether to fly, take the train, or even rent a car for a road trip!

Anybody else up for a cross-country drive?
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/16/06 08:06 AM
hey y'all, if you haven't pre-registered for con yet, looks like prices for the 4 day passes go up from $50 to $55 after April 19th...
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/24/06 12:56 AM
All-
I've got my plane ticket for Vegas.

I haven't booked the hotel yet, but I'm assuming at this point those of us SD-bound will stick around til Wednesday morning?

I'll probably book a room with two beds, in case anyone wants to share a room; prices seem the same for 1 or 2.

The more I think on it, trying to do LA as an overnight seems unwieldy, but I'd be willing to meet some of our LA flock after the con. I'm going to wander out west a bit since I'll have time to. As presumably fellow road buddies, what do Abin CJ and Legion-John think?
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/24/06 01:47 AM
I'll be flying out on Monday, at this point from SD but as I haven't booked yet I'm still open to suggestions...

PS: Klean out yer Mailbox, Kent!
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/24/06 02:16 AM
Well Kent, I got a double room for Sun to Wed at the Stratosphere. Scott and Caroline are staying there I think. It's affordable, a good local. You're welcome to crash there.

My plan is to enjoy Vegas for a few days, then likely drive to SD on Wed. Abin, what're you planning?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/24/06 02:20 AM
Sounds like a plan, CJ. Count me as a roomie!

Abin, looks like most of us are at the Stratosphere.

PS - will do.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/24/06 02:31 AM
My Plans are similar although I'll probably fly in on Saturday. And yes I plan on booking at the Stratosphere also.

When are Scott and Caroline arriving?

And when will we have a body count so I can arrange the mini-van rental? So far with three of us driving to SD it should be fairly comfy in a mini, but if we get up to five or six a full sise van would be better. Luggage takes up space and I plan on bringing some extra computer gear so we can post/scan/fax/whatever and really get on a few nerves while we play...
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/24/06 03:03 AM
Caroline and I will be in LV Sunday morning. Our reservations are for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, checking out Wednesday morning since I have to be home that evening.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/25/06 12:01 AM
Abin-

those of us making the SD trip will be you, me, CJ and Legion-John, based upon responses thus far... and it sounds like CJ's bringing his car (?).

If so, we may not need a van at all (for the LV-SD part, at least), but maybe a car.

I'm also arriving Saturday.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/25/06 07:30 PM
Actually Kent, I was planning to fly to Vegas, then rent a car to drive to SD. If you guys got room for another rider, I can fit in the average glove box.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/25/06 11:09 PM
Abin was already plotting and scheming a van or minivan for the duration (LV, SD and between), for which he said he'd will accept our gas donations.

If Abin winds up opting to fly in Sunday instead of Saturday, I'll probably grab a rental on Saturday... the three-day rental rates are dirt cheap, and that would give us a third set of wheels (along with Proty) for around Vegas, which I'd return Tuesday night.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/26/06 02:39 AM
For 4 people a standard mini-van will do perfectly. I'll have everyting arranged by the end of this month but as previously stated I plan to fly into Vegas on Saturday, rent a Mini-van which will be returned in San Diego, drive to SD on Wednesday, Thursday to Sunday attend the Con and other "Cultural Events," (Which probably includes a day trip to Tijuana) Party with as many LWers as we can round up (Note: we need to get 14 together to break the Boston Record) and fly back on Monday.

I just might need a vacation from my vacation...
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/26/06 12:33 PM
Okay, I'm all booked and confirmed.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/27/06 01:35 AM
Well like i said i've got my hotel room already booked and i've just sent off my pre-paid ticket from for the con. in a few weeks i should have the dough for my plane tickets i plan on flying into Vegas on Monday so let me know what everyone that's going is gonna do.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 04/27/06 01:40 AM
John-

I found a killer deal from LaGuardia to Vegas for $150 (1-way) on ATA/Southwest. Hopefully there's still similar deals when you're ready to buy.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/09/06 08:04 PM
For those going to San Diego. It has been suggested that we not go to all the days of the convention, but do some other things around the city. I am up for that, but have no idea what to do. Any suggestions and suggestions as for what day(s) to not go to the con? I probably want to see what panels are when before deciding which day(s). But I am thinking Sunday as a non-convention day. Although my flight leaves at 6:46 pm that day.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/09/06 09:50 PM
there's the San Diego Zoo, Old Town, Sea World, the beach, several museums and historic sites right in town.

Right downtown, there's the historic gaslamp quarter an impressive outdoor-mall, a seaside shopping village, among other stuff.

Tijuana's an easy trolley ride away; Oceanside's a nice 40-minute train ride up the coast.

Out in the surrounding county, there's a drive-thru wild animal park, Mount Palomar observatory, and some scenic high-desert areas.

that's off the top of my head.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/10/06 10:10 PM
Sunday might be the best bet as the con shuts down a little bit early and a lot of the programming that day will be geared towards children.

But, you never know. And I'm not sure when the schedule will be posted.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/12/06 09:10 PM
Sorry, guys I have to pass on the trip. A rather large auto repair bill has eaten at my funds this week. I'm going to try and pawn my first printing of ION #1, maybe that will help me with the recovery.

You Vegas folks, put $2 on red 15 for me. You San Diegoers, say hi to Gary.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/12/06 09:12 PM
Sorry, guys I have to pass on the trip. A rather large auto repair bill has eaten at my funds this week. I'm going to try and pawn my first printing of ION #1, maybe that will help me with the recovery.

You Vegas folks, put $2 on red 15 for me. You San Diegoers, say hi to Gary.
frown frown frown
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/13/06 02:05 AM
Sorry to hear that, CJ, but I've been there; know how that goes. Best of luck with the beast.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/13/06 02:30 AM
Well, Shoot!

I guess that leaves just three of us to visit with Scott and Caroline...

Kent, LJ, It's recruiting time!

STU, Cobie, Far, Crujecki, Loser,(get yer butt back here, dude) Vee, RHL, Beagz, Stargazer, LASH, and everybody else who hasn't committed to this trip, you're all in the crosshairs...

AND, IF I DON'T GET SOME POSITIVE REPLIES QUICKLY, I TAKE EVERYDAY GIRL OF OF RESTRICTED POSTING STATUS!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/13/06 02:36 AM
I think STU has committed to meeting us in Vegas(last I heard).

CJ, if you can make your way to SLC, you are more than welcome to ride along with Caroline and myself.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/13/06 02:32 PM
Abin,

STU's told me he's booked for Vegas, for air and hotel... as long as work cooperates.

He's as committed as he can be.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/13/06 08:35 PM
All Right, now I don't have to change the car rental...

So Vegas is LL, SG, Abin, Kent, STU and Legion John?

Is STU coming to SD?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 05/14/06 01:24 AM
nope. just you, me and John for the road trip.

With CJ out, I'm in need of a new roomie for Vegas, if anyone's interested.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/03/06 09:24 PM
ok Kent just thought i'd drop base with you i got everything booked, my flight leaves NY on the 17th @12:30 pm i should be in Vegas @2:47pm. i'm up for rooming with you guys since i thought that we'd all be in the same hotel,..hell as long as you got an open floor i'm all for it just let me know what's going on on your end,...
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/04/06 01:47 AM
Actually, I lost track - I was going to room with CJ, who had to back out.

I believe Abin and STU have each booked rooms at the Stratosphere. If neither are up for a roommie or two, I'll book us a room.

2:47! Did you plan that time? wink
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/04/06 02:08 AM
Yep, I'm booked at the Stratosphere, and while I'd really rather not room with anyone, if it's absolutely necessary... I'll think about it! tongue

OBTW Kent I leave from Providence at 6:00 AM on the 15th and arrive in Vegas at 10:24 AM. I've changed the car rental to a full size car (a Minivan isn't really necessary for three people) but that is open to change at any time if necessary.

Let's see, Kent and I get there on the 15th, Scott and Caroline will be there on the 16th IIRC, and LJ on the 17th (We can meet him at the airport easily enough). So when is STU arriving?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/04/06 02:15 AM
Stu gets in at 10:13 AM on the 16th. So we can probably pick him up on our way in.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/04/06 10:16 PM
no problemo, Abin. I'll book myslf a room, and John can room with me. I agree, a midsize car will serve us well enough.

I'm flying out of Laguardia at 1:49 pm, and will arrive at Vegas at 8:35 pm.

Scott, I heartily object! Since Abin and I arrive before STU, WE should have the priviledge of meeting you and Caroline first! wink
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/05/06 12:49 AM
Well, we could all meet at the airport. smile

I figured since we probably wouldn't be getting to town before 9 it would be easy for us to swing by the airport. Just a quick trip from there down to the strip and over to where the Strat is at.
Posted By: Saturn Girl Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/05/06 07:02 PM
Scott has started monitoring the weather in Las Vegas and plans on gathering the projections for our time there. Yesterday it was 106 degrees.

Now I don't know about you guys, but as for me, between my weight, my medications, my fair skin, and being part vampire, I will not be venturing out into all that heat and direct sunlight. I'm not totally sure Scott was kidding when he told me it could be 120 degrees when we drive across the desert.

I really want to have a good time, but I don't much want to burst into flame.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/11/06 12:12 AM
Five weeks to go, and I can't wait!!!!
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/11/06 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Saturn Girl:
Scott has started monitoring the weather in Las Vegas and plans on gathering the projections for our time there. Yesterday it was 106 degrees.

Now I don't know about you guys, but as for me, between my weight, my medications, my fair skin, and being part vampire, I will not be venturing out into all that heat and direct sunlight. I'm not totally sure Scott was kidding when he told me it could be 120 degrees when we drive across the desert.

I really want to have a good time, but I don't much want to burst into flame.
awww poor Caroline,...might i suggest you take a cue from Deacon Frost in the first Blade movie and wear lots and lots of sunscreen???
J/K. can't wait to meet you guys.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/11/06 12:49 AM
Well, I've already decided I'm going to have to wear shorts. So you guys all better have sunglasses to help shield you from the white-guy glare my legs are sure to give off. wink
Posted By: Greybird Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/11/06 04:34 PM
It's too bad we won't be able to see any pictures of your Las Vegas gathering, since it looks like you'll have a blast.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/11/06 10:19 PM
Why not? I'll bring my laptop along. As long as there are hotspots, we'll be able to post pics!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/11/06 10:25 PM
Minus STU, of course... since he doesn't really exist.
Posted By: Everyday Girl Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/12/06 02:22 AM
Ohmygod... Two Laptops, several cameras, four sets of glaring white guy legs, the invisible STU, and a walking mound of sunscreen named Caroline, this is shaping up to be one heck of a Vegas Party!

Now I just have to talk Gramps into bringing me along.

Five Weeks... and counting DOWN!!!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/14/06 02:59 PM
Hey California folks-

I'll be looking for a ride up to LA after the con. any extra seats?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/17/06 07:51 PM
Four weeks from tonight we'll be heading out to Vegas. So far, so good.

Do we have a final list yet for those meeting in Vegas?
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/18/06 02:10 AM
Vegas = You & Caroline, Me, L.e.g.i.o.n.John, Kent, & the imaginary poster known as STU.

San Diego = Semi, Caliente, Quizlet ESQ, Monkey-Eater Lad, Nightcrawler, Outdoor Miner, Kent, L.e.g.i.o.n.John, Mechana, & Abin.

As far as I know, anyway...
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/18/06 05:15 PM
looks complete, based on who's reported in.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/20/06 01:54 AM
Blue may come. He still hasn't made up his mind yet though.

And I came close to having to cancel tonight. Money is just real tight and I'm still not sure if we'll be able to do much while in Vegas. But as I was pulling into the drive tonight trying to decide if I was going to say we weren't going to make it I glanced down at my trip odometer and my mind was made up quickly. The mileage was at 247. Surely a sign.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/20/06 02:04 AM
Who is Blue?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/20/06 11:35 AM
Blue Battler. Thomas. He's a friend of ours who came to SDCC the last time we all met there. He doesn't normally post in the MMB, just hangs around the Anywhere Machine.
Posted By: Saturn Girl Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/20/06 03:34 PM
He posts in the City of Heroes and City of Villains threads and plays his namesake, The Blue Battler on CoH. 'Blue' is a character, very charming, extremely knowledgeable on all things comics, and he is a wonderful friend. Everyone would enjoy his company, and I really wish he would come to Vegas. We'd all have a blast, and I know that Blue really needs to get out of Chicago for a while and let his hair down.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/20/06 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:

And I came close to having to cancel tonight. Money is just real tight and I'm still not sure if we'll be able to do much while in Vegas. But as I was pulling into the drive tonight trying to decide if I was going to say we weren't going to make it I glanced down at my trip odometer and my mind was made up quickly. The mileage was at 247. Surely a sign.
Tight or no, I'm sure we can have some fun. To be honest, I was slightly worried everyone else might be doing show-after-show, and I'd be watching my own wallet being devoured long before reaching SD.

If you guys are still up for the vampire show, that looks okay to me, based on web prices; it'll probably be my only show.

Id be into going to the Star Trek Experience, and if it's not too far afield, I want to check out the Hoover Dam. Other than that, just hanging out and seeing the sights is good for me. I'm all for cheap eats, too!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/20/06 03:52 PM
Bite is the only show we are planning on (thank god for the 2 for 1 pass). I've done the Star Trek Experience (big Trekker) and if no one else goes I'm up for going through again. The package deal for STE is best since you get the 3-D rides. At least you did the last time I was there, two years ago.

Hoover Dam may be a big of a day trip but I'm sure Caroline would love some pictures of it to scrapbook.
Posted By: Greybird Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/20/06 06:45 PM
Hoover Dam is very much worth it, especially if you take the tour that plunges you down inside it, so you can see the electrical dynamos and other machinery.

Don't miss the Art Deco statues of winged men on the Nevada side, by the way (pteraphile plug)!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/20/06 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Greybird:
Hoover Dam is very much worth it, especially if you take the tour that plunges you down inside it, so you can see the electrical dynamos and other machinery.

Don't miss the Art Deco statues of winged men on the Nevada side, by the way (pteraphile plug)!
Would that be the dam tour? laugh
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/21/06 01:30 PM

This made me smile! Definately a sign Scooter. You guys are going to have a blast! smile
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 12:10 AM
Okay, so, I called my hotel today (I'm staying at the Cherokee Lodge) and made sure everything was kosher. It wasn't, of course. *curses Orbitz* But, I managed to straighten everything out with little difficulty. smile I'll be in late on the 20th.

I was wondering, though, what's up with the con tickets? How do I know my money was received and that I've got it and... everything? Is there a way to check or is it mostly a leap of faith?

And, question for the others going to SD, is it better to drive or take the train? I know that parking can be... annoying, as can driving through LA, but if I take the train I won't be in until 7:50pm (assuming it's on time). *pout* And that means I'll probably miss meeting y'all 'til the next day. Of course, if traffic is bad, I wouldn't make it until then, anyway. >< Opinions anyone?
Posted By: Saturn Girl Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 03:40 AM
Wear comfortable shoes because if you plan to find a place to park, you're going to walk really, really far. In fact, security may be an issue if you are planning to drive alone Cali. BAsically who knows where you might have to leave your car. The parking is scarse around the center, and the businesses have you towed, and the shopping mall parking lots are far away and have dark scary corners. Even four to five hours before the con opened people were lining up around the block a couple times. It was insane, and it was hot and not in a good way. A lot of our fellow con attendees had not bathed in a while, and the line could be an uncomfortable place at times. Maybe leave your car in a well lighted lot with an attendant and hail a taxi cab to get you to the con door? And if they do it like when we were there, you get screened as to matching ID's with tickets which you wear like a badge during the con. It's all on computer and you get an info pack and all at registration. Scott and I took backpacks when we went, but I would re-think that having been, and I would bring an oversize tote bag for a bottle of water and an artist pad for drawings and autographs and the handouts and 'freebies' that the booths will hustle. The backpack was too unruly getting into and out of frequently in a throbbing crowd like that. Some of the anime booths shelled out big bucks for their freebies and actually gave out cool tote bags as well as rather thick books of manga. (Which I was not familiar with until that time, I admit.) My favorite booths were the Wicca and Goth comic and merchandise vendors and I made out really well. Scott spent $55 to buy me a purse shaped like a small coffin, which is awesome, and that was my great prize from the trip.

p.s. Damn girl, I wish you were coming to Vegas so we could get girly tattoos or something together........
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 04:58 AM
*takes notes* No parking, tote bag not backpack, bring notepad and ID and water... good, good.

Thanks, Caroline! hug I wish I was coming, too!! I've always wanted a Flash tattoo, y'know...
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 01:38 PM
Cali, if you do decide to take the train down let us know. It wouldn't be a hardship at all for us to meet you at the train station and chaperone you to your hotel.

Most likely we'll be making group arrangements for transportation and such, so we'll work out our options when we get together. Most of us are staying at the Best Western Coronado Suites Hotel, but picking you up and dropping you off at your hotel won't be a burden (and it will give Quiz a chance to perfect his "Sugar Daddy" routine).

For the Boston Con we exchanged cell phone numbers via PM before the get together. That way we managed to stay in contact with the group despite the fact that our accomodations were spread out all over Boston. I think that would be a good idea for this get together also.

Anyone intersted in sharing their cell nos can PM me and I'l put together a list for the group.
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 03:32 PM
Ooh, a chaperone!! Nice. laugh And I always wanted a... I mean, to see a Sugar Daddy in action. wink Rock on.

And my hotel is just down the street from yours-- really close. Like, two minutes by car close. I was actually thinking about taking my bike on the train (you can do that), so I could just ride over to y'all but I kind of doubt they have racks for me to park her.

PM sent!! Thanks a bunch Abin. Really. smile Hey, random question-- do you guys call each other by your real names or by LW nicknames at get togethers? Just curious.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 05:27 PM
I find it easy to adapt to real names; but people always lapse into post-names. no worries either way.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 05:31 PM
Abin-

I'll be getting my new cell over the weekend, so I'll send you my # then.
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 05:45 PM

I was wondering, though, what's up with the con tickets? How do I know my money was received and that I've got it and... everything? Is there a way to check or is it mostly a leap of faith?

I was wondering the same thing. (Though I know they got my money because my Visa has been charged ). I emailed the Con folks and got a reply saying that they would be mailing out registration confirmations this week. I guess maybe they wait until after the June 21st deadline and do them all at once.
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 06:35 PM
Cali

I have to admit if my times are anything to go by then real names and post names can be interchangable. I still laugh about sitting in a hotel in Niagra and only just stopping myself from shouting out across the lobby, "hey Loser" when Bill showed up (Loser Lad)

And if its anything like Boston you guys are going to have a blast.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/22/06 08:55 PM
Ooh, a chaperone!! Nice. laugh And I always wanted a... I mean, to see a Sugar Daddy in action. wink Rock on.

And my hotel is just down the street from yours-- really close. Like, two minutes by car close. I was actually thinking about taking my bike on the train (you can do that), so I could just ride over to y'all but I kind of doubt they have racks for me to park her.

PM sent!! Thanks a bunch Abin. Really. smile Hey, random question-- do you guys call each other by your real names or by LW nicknames at get togethers? Just curious.
Well, if you do come down by train and bring your bike, You can always leave your bike in one of our rooms during the con.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/23/06 02:18 AM
So when (and how) is everyone ariving in San Diego?

Kent, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN, and I will be driving from Las Vegas, arriving sometime on the 19th.

Cali will be arriving on the evening of the 20th (presumibly by train).

Quiz will also be coming by train (but when?)

How about everyone else?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/23/06 04:41 PM
I'll be arriving at about 2pm on the 19th.

I think Miner is arriving at about 3:15pm on the 19th as well.
Posted By: Greybird Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/24/06 07:48 AM
[Caliente]
{ And my hotel is just down the street from yours -- really close. Like, two minutes by car close. }

In Vegas, that can mean a LOT of walking, and a lot of exertion in the heat. (If only to avoid 3,428 people on the sidewalk giving you flyers about strip clubs.) Cabs, I've found, are not always a luxury, even for short hops, they can be a necessity.

And don't count on using the new monorail. It doesn't run on or anywhere near the Strip (stupidly), except at its north and south ends, and can be a calf-busting walk to get to in itself.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/24/06 11:37 AM
Ummm... Grey...

She's not going to Vegas, she's talking about San Diego.
Posted By: Greybird Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/24/06 04:39 PM
Sorry about that. Some of the same is true for a July weekend in San Diego, though. (Fewer strip clubs, anyway {g}) The sea-borne humidity added to the heat can be debilitating. I'd bring a terry-cloth hand towel to mop your brow at ComicCon.

Unlike Vegas, the San Diego trolley lines do go where most visitors tend to go, including the Convention Center, and it's best to orient your movements to use the trolley as much as possible. Buy an all-day pass, it's the best value.

One good place for parking is the new ten-story facility built for the re-done Padres baseball park: less likely to be filled (unless there's a Padres home-stand?), relatively inexpensive, and fairly convenient even for walking to the Convention Center, although using the trolley works better even in this case.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/24/06 05:25 PM
Note to my fellow Northeasterners going to SD for the 1st time:

San D 'humidity' ain't nothing compared to northeastern humidity. SD at its most humid is still more bearable than what we usually have at home, and what we've had this past week. To me, west coters complaining about humidity in SD made me chuckle - it seemed quite dry compared to what I consider humidity.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/24/06 05:27 PM
All-

I got my registration letter in the mail a day or two ago, so they are indeed out in the mail.

[b]

I was wondering the same thing. (Though I know they got my money because my Visa has been charged ). I emailed the Con folks and got a reply saying that they would be mailing out registration confirmations this week. I guess maybe they wait until after the June 21st deadline and do them all at once.[/b]
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/24/06 09:26 PM
Hey folks,
So currently I've got a room for Friday and Saturday night and was planning on just coming Friday morning to Sunday night because of summer school. I switched classes and now have Thursday free so I'm looking in to getting a room for that Thursday night so I can fly in Thursday morning instead. Any ideas what night we all want to get together for a meal or debauchery? If it's a large group I wonder if we should make reservations? Gary, any suggestions?
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/25/06 12:03 AM
Should we post photos for those who have never met? I know I posted a photo years ago, but I sure don't look like that any more! (Heck, I didn't look like that when I posted it, sigh, foolish vanity).
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/27/06 04:33 PM
Got my confirmation today, yay! I am an officially an attendee!

I'm such a novice at all this that I had no idea that as a professional I could have attended for free, but of course there are no instructions any where on the website about registering as a professional; it's like trying to join a secret society or something. So this is fine. I'm happy to be going in any capacity! smile
Posted By: Saturn Girl Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/27/06 04:36 PM
I know for a fact that there were some photos of the Legion World gathering from ComicCon in 2004 posted in the pics thread. I cringed when I saw how absolutely huge I look, and yet that's me and I can't very well hide it so oh well. Everyone was wonderful and friendly and accepting, just as you'd imagine and expect them to be. No one should sweat meeting another LW family member smile Pull up the pics as I doubt folks have changed that much from 2004. Although Scott and I will not be there, you can at least see us, and Thomas (Blue Battler) is in the photo, as well as Wayne, MEL, Greybird, and Outdoor Minor. I think that was all that we hooked up with, and if I've forgotten anyone, apologies in adavance.

Scott and I watch a lot of 'Food TV' with Emeril Live and all of Chef Gordon Ramsey's shows at the top of our list. We happened to catch an episode featuring Las Vegas and found out the Stratosphere Hotel where we are staying has an award winning restaurant on the 106th floor called The Top of the World. Apparently they feature a dessert for two that costs $20 and is a representation of the hotel (a tower) in white chocolate with the top of the tower being a milk chocolate 'bowl' containing a chocolate mousse laced with hazelnut liquor. Oh man, two questions...... Can I overcome my fear of heights to eat that dessert in that restaurant without being terrified or sick ro my stomach just walking in? And, should I have the nerve to ask Scott to put out $20 for a dessert when we can't afford to throw money around like that, and when he isn't a real dessert kind of guy? Especially he is not a big fan of chocolate frown Oh well, time will tell what happens. We are finally only about two weeks out smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/27/06 05:14 PM
Got my confirmation today, yay! I am an officially an attendee!

I'm such a novice at all this that I had no idea that as a professional I could have attended for free, but of course there are no instructions any where on the website about registering as a professional; it's like trying to join a secret society or something. So this is fine. I'm happy to be going in any capacity! smile
So we have two convention virgins?

I have also gotten my confirmation.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/27/06 06:34 PM
Yay, got a room for Thursday night too so I'll be there Thursday morning to Sunday night! mechana, here's me having a light snack:
http://home.alamedanet.net/~kevinl/kevinmisc/MEL1.jpg

Most other folks' pics can be found in their profiles,
the pictures thread:
http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000147
or the album:
http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/album.pl
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/27/06 06:39 PM
do a LW search for Wizard World Boston and you'll find pics of me, Abin and Quislet.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/27/06 06:58 PM
I know for a fact that there were some photos of the Legion World gathering from ComicCon in 2004 posted in the pics thread. I cringed when I saw how absolutely huge I look, and yet that's me and I can't very well hide it so oh well. Everyone was wonderful and friendly and accepting, just as you'd imagine and expect them to be. No one should sweat meeting another LW family member smile Pull up the pics as I doubt folks have changed that much from 2004. Although Scott and I will not be there, you can at least see us, and Thomas (Blue Battler) is in the photo, as well as Wayne, MEL, Greybird, and Outdoor Minor. I think that was all that we hooked up with, and if I've forgotten anyone, apologies in adavance.

Scott and I watch a lot of 'Food TV' with Emeril Live and all of Chef Gordon Ramsey's shows at the top of our list. We happened to catch an episode featuring Las Vegas and found out the Stratosphere Hotel where we are staying has an award winning restaurant on the 106th floor called The Top of the World. Apparently they feature a dessert for two that costs $20 and is a representation of the hotel (a tower) in white chocolate with the top of the tower being a milk chocolate 'bowl' containing a chocolate mousse laced with hazelnut liquor. Oh man, two questions...... Can I overcome my fear of heights to eat that dessert in that restaurant without being terrified or sick ro my stomach just walking in? And, should I have the nerve to ask Scott to put out $20 for a dessert when we can't afford to throw money around like that, and when he isn't a real dessert kind of guy? Especially he is not a big fan of chocolate frown Oh well, time will tell what happens. We are finally only about two weeks out smile
Caroline,

If Scott won't shell out for that dessert for you, we'll take up a collection.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/29/06 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
Hey folks,
So currently I've got a room for Friday and Saturday night and was planning on just coming Friday morning to Sunday night because of summer school. I switched classes and now have Thursday free so I'm looking in to getting a room for that Thursday night so I can fly in Thursday morning instead. Any ideas what night we all want to get together for a meal or debauchery? If it's a large group I wonder if we should make reservations? Gary, any suggestions?
Gary, one of my all-time favorite Italian places (after 10 years, I can't recall the name) is (was?) on Fifth Ave near/along-side Horton Plaza (actually there were two right net to each other. the one I'm thinking of was slightly north of the other). Is it still there? If so, I'd like to suggest we go there one night.

This is no pizza joint, folks; it's prima north/central Italian fare, a place I can compare to few places outside of Tuscany.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/29/06 08:42 PM
And, should I have the nerve to ask Scott to put out $20 for a dessert... Especially he is not a big fan of chocolate
WHAT?!?!?!?!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/29/06 09:48 PM
Yeah, my exact feelings. Why would anyone fork out $20 for anything made of chocolate. That's just not right.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/29/06 11:48 PM
I'll be arriving at about 2pm on the 19th.

I think Miner is arriving at about 3:15pm on the 19th as well.
Just double-checked, and it turns out I got the time wrong. If all goes well, my plane should touch down around 2:15pm. Hopefully, I can be at the hotel by shortly after 3.

My confirmation letter arrived today.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 06/30/06 02:01 AM
Note to my fellow Northeasterners going to SD for the 1st time:

San D 'humidity' ain't nothing compared to northeastern humidity. SD at its most humid is still more bearable than what we usually have at home, and what we've had this past week. To me, west coters complaining about humidity in SD made me chuckle - it seemed quite dry compared to what I consider humidity.
ahh Kent that reminds me of the time i went to San Fransico in late July of 95' (it was the monday or tuesday that Jerry Garcia died) and they were having a "record heatwave" of 90+ degrees. and i was like where's the humidity? i went out of my hotel room and the front desk clerck said "becareful with it being so hot out there"
and in my arrogance i replyed: "hey i'm from the east coast, a day like this with no humidity is no trouble at all"
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/01/06 08:47 PM
Gary, one of my all-time favorite Italian places (after 10 years, I can't recall the name) is (was?) on Fifth Ave near/along-side Horton Plaza (actually there were two right net to each other. the one I'm thinking of was slightly north of the other). Is it still there? If so, I'd like to suggest we go there one night.
QB]
Bucca Di Beppo? OM, Suddenly Seymour, Lyle Lyle and I went there last year (I think, right?). I've had friends recommend both Point Loma Seafood - http://www.plsf.com/ and Rei Do Gado - http://www.reidogado.net/ . The former is, well sea food, the second is a Brazillian steak house. Dick's last resort is always interesting. Mr. Tiki's is fun. We could always do dessert at Ghiradelli's.

Should we start to tentatively reserve a dinner date? Are we all going to be there and free possibly Thursday night? I think I remember Gary being oftening busy with work over the weekends?
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/01/06 11:53 PM
Bucca Di Beppo? OM, Suddenly Seymour, Lyle Lyle and I went there last year (I think, right?). [/QUOTE]

Indeed we did.

As I recall, the wait was ridiculous but the food was fantastic. If we do go back (and that's fine with me), I'd definitely suggest making a reservation.
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/02/06 12:13 AM
sigh I wish I could go to dinner Thursday night!! *curses the long train ride* Don't forget to take pictures!!

Oh, and I got my letter thingy, too. Woo, I'm so excited!! laugh It's thiiiiis month. Eeee!! Where's the squee graemlin..?
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/02/06 02:40 AM
Wait a durlan minute, what time do you get in on what day? 750pm? This is on Thursday? Maybe we can eat a later meal all together? Or alternately how does breakfast Friday or dinner friday sound? Friday night I just might have to be back at my hotel by 9:30ish cause that's when my brother's flight gets in...
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/02/06 02:41 AM
So tempted to just drive to San Diego to have a meal with everyone, even if we can't go to the con. I just don't think I can afford it though.
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/03/06 03:20 AM
Yeah, MEL, that's the one! But I wouldn't want to keep you guys up late or something. Don't fret over li'l ol' me. wink I'm sure they'll be plenty of time to wreak havoc and whatnot on Friday and Saturday. laugh

Oh!! Also. Does anybody know how to get into the attendee area on the SD Comic Con website? It asks for a name and password and... I dunno what I'm doing. (Obviously.)
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/03/06 07:58 PM
Well, when we met in Dallas and Boston, we Legion Worlders went out to dinner together every night.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/03/06 08:56 PM
Tell me about it! I was broke for weeks... but it was worth it. Even so, at 7/15 until 7/24-ish, I'm not up for every single meal out, but a few are definitely in order.

Miner, MEL, the name doesn't sound familiar, but I'm game. Let's reserve something for Friday night at one of MEL's choices, once we get a headcount.
Posted By: Healex Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/04/06 02:58 AM
Hi Guys, I know its been awhile since I posted. I've had a bad 7 months, but I'm back now. I haven't had the chance to read all of your posts, but I have a quick question for any of you that will be able to go to the convention. I'm not going to be able to go, but I am a big Star Trek fan. I need to know if anyone would be willing to pick up the Art Asylum Star Trek exculsive action figures for me? I'm willing to pay extra for your time and shipping. Thanks for your time. I hope everyone had fun out there. smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/05/06 07:10 PM
I'll see what I can do for you. These are give aways, right?
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/05/06 07:20 PM
Quis volunteered just so he could have post # 247 in this thread... wink
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/05/06 08:04 PM
I hate doing this at such a late date but Caroline and I have to cancel our Vegas trip. Just too much going on and for us to leave town, let alone the state, would be too detrimental right now. Our first real vacation since SDCC two years ago too. But as with everything else lately what we want for ourselves doesn't matter.

You guys just have fun and enjoy Sin City!
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/05/06 09:32 PM
I know that feeling Scott, and I'm sorry for ya guys. I'd offer some chocolate to cheer you up...*

*see page 16 for details
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/06/06 06:16 AM
I hate doing this at such a late date but Caroline and I have to cancel our Vegas trip. Just too much going on and for us to leave town, let alone the state, would be too detrimental right now. Our first real vacation since SDCC two years ago too. But as with everything else lately what we want for ourselves doesn't matter.

You guys just have fun and enjoy Sin City!
Well I guess Sean, LJ, STU (Hopefully) and I will find SOMETHING to Do In Vegas...

But it won't be the same...

RATS!
Posted By: Klordny Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/06/06 07:28 AM
Maybe next year you can join the Legion of Super-Gamblers trip to Vegas - a half-dozen to a dozen Legion fans meeting for a long weekend. We just had our tenth annual trip in mid-June.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/06/06 05:52 PM
Caliente, the con doesn't get out till 7pm anyways, just tell your train conductor to put more coal in the um...train coal burning thing!

Scott, that bites that you have to cancel Vegas! We were hoping you'd get a big jackpot and come to Vegas frown Are there any Indian gaming casinos in Yootah?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/07/06 12:56 AM
The Thursday programing is up at the Comic Con web site.

Oh also, on my cable I have a channel called G4 (they mostly show Star Trek). They have been advertizing that they will be broadcasting from the Con on the 21st.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/07/06 03:01 AM
[QUOTE]Well I guess Sean, LJ, STU (Hopefully) and I will find SOMETHING to Do In Vegas...
Just remember to set aside the bail money.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/07/06 03:05 AM
The Thursday programing is up at the Comic Con web site.
Newsarama also has the info up at their site.

There is, as usual, a lot of stuff.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/07/06 07:46 AM
Friday and the Legion of Superheroes:

4:00-5:00 Bruce Timm Retrospective/Legion of Super Heroes— Warner Bros. Animation president Sander Schwartz introduces a retrospective on the creativity of animation legend Bruce Timm (Batman Beyond, Superman: The Animated Series). Bruce will talk about his 20-year career, screen selected scenes from his body of work, and take part in a Q&A. Immediately following the Timm retrospective, Warner Bros. Animation presents a sneak peek at Legion of Super Heroes, a new Superman-themed half-hour adventure series inspired by the DC Comics series and set to air Saturdays this fall at 11:00 AM ET/PT in the Kids’ WB! programming block on the new CW. Producers Linda M. Steiner (Teen Titans) and James Tucker (Justice League Unlimited), story editor Rob Hoegee (Teen Titans), and others from the show’s creative team will join several of the Legion cast members, including Yuri Lowenthal (voice of Superman), Andy Milder (Lightning Lad), Shawn Harrison (Timber Wolf), and Michael Cornaccia (Bouncing Boy) for a Q&A session and debut of scenes from the upcoming show. Room 20

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci06_prog_fri.php

OM, there's also a JLA/JSA shindig planned...
Posted By: Klordny Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/07/06 10:01 AM
Dang, you got here first. OK, who's going to be there with a camcorder and is ready to upload the footage to YouTube?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/07/06 05:07 PM
Are you coming too, Michael? Be sure to meet up with the rest of us.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/07/06 05:38 PM
[b][QUOTE]Well I guess Sean, LJ, STU (Hopefully) and I will find SOMETHING to Do In Vegas...
Just remember to set aside the bail money. [/b]
What happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas! rotflmao
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/07/06 08:01 PM
[b]
[b][QUOTE]Well I guess Sean, LJ, STU (Hopefully) and I will find SOMETHING to Do In Vegas...
Just remember to set aside the bail money. [/b]
What happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas! rotflmao [/b]
Just make sure you don't end up staying in Vegas.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/08/06 02:00 PM
One measley little week to go...

I'll be sending out the phone list on Monday or Tuesday. So if you haven't PMed me with your cell phone number yet now's the time.
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/08/06 06:48 PM
I hope the phone list includes screen names and real names, cause I'm a little fuzzy on the real names. I know Kent is Sean, but the rest of you are a mystery to me!

For those of you who don't know, hi, I'm Ronda.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/08/06 09:06 PM
Also-

For those who haven't met any of us before, looking to meet us at the hotel or the Con center, Look for a Legion "L," yellow lettering ooutlined in black on a white background, about two square feet.

It's been the official sign of two Legion World meet-ups so far.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/09/06 03:20 PM
I hope the phone list includes screen names and real names, cause I'm a little fuzzy on the real names. I know Kent is Sean, but the rest of you are a mystery to me!

For those of you who don't know, hi, I'm Ronda.
The phone list will include real names. I'm planning on sending it out tomorrow. To get the list you must be on the list.

Chuck (Abin Quank)
Sean (Kent Shakesphere)
Rhonda (Mechana)
Beth (Caliente)
Rob (Quislet, Esq.)
Kevin (Monkey Eater Lad)

Plus I still have Phone Numbers for the following:

Cobalt Kid (Des)
Director Lad (Sudro)
Faraway Lad (Darden)
Loser Lad (Bill)
Crusader (Michael)
Vee (Julio)

They won't be in Vegas/San Diego but we can call them and let them know what they're missing...
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/09/06 11:14 PM
The complete schedule is now up at the comic-con web site.

It's a doozy.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 01:33 AM
Any new thoughts on days/times/events to meet up? probably some (many?) of up will want to go to the Legion cartoon panel on Friday. What are good times for meetups? Dinners? Bars - are we all drinkers? Dessert eaters? Breakfast? Lunches during con might be more difficult because of scheduling...
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 05:19 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! GEOFF WILL BE THERE!!!! I WILL BE TOO AFRAID TO TALK TO HIM!! SOMEONE MUST ASK HIM TO SKETCH FLASH FOR ME!!! I LIKE TO USE CAPS LOCKS WHEN I'M EXCITED BUT IT'S ANNOYING SO I'LL STOP NOW!!!

Seriously. Ohmigod. I have screamed and fangirled and cried because... ohmigod. Dude. Eeeeee!! Soooo excited, I cannot even deal. *tries not to hyperventilate* ... *fails*

Okay, deep breath. Sorry. As for meeting up-- I am not afraid to roam on my own, but I definitely want to hang with the other LWers. I wish I could say I was a drinker but, legally, I am not. Everything else, though, I'm there!! smile
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 09:51 AM
Plus I still have Phone Numbers for the following:

Cobalt Kid (Des)
Director Lad (Sudro)
Faraway Lad (Darden)
Loser Lad (Bill)
Crusader (Michael)
Vee (Julio)

They won't be in Vegas/San Diego but we can call them and let them know what they're missing...[/QB]
Just remember the time difference Chuck. Dont want you waking Jennifer or me up now do you?

(walks away muttering about "wishing he could go" and "I'll get me own back"

lol
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 10:55 AM
Cali last time I was in Geoff's line the guy in front of me wouldn't stop talking and taking pictures and Geoff had already signed my book so the DC booth henchmen ushered me away. Once you get up there you should handcuff yourself to him (if you weren't going to already). His line always forms very quickly so I'd suggest gettin' in good with the DC booth henchfolk so they can give you the scoop on where creators will be sitting (there's like over a dozen spots possible). Oh and can you say "fake ID"! wink
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 06:54 PM
Well I will not be available Friday night... because I've been invited to my very first industry party! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! (Not as good as Cali's, I know, but hey, I'm old) wink
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 07:21 PM
My father was telling me that the cable station "G4" (a gaming network, I believe) will be airing a special on the San Diego Con on July 21st (I think), so if you see a camera crew nearby, be sure to get your face in front of it and scream out something about Legion World. Camera crews love geeks, so they'll be sure to air it laugh
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
My father was telling me that the cable station "G4" (a gaming network, I believe) will be airing a special on the San Diego Con on July 21st (I think), so if you see a camera crew nearby, be sure to get your face in front of it and scream out something about Legion World. Camera crews love geeks, so they'll be sure to air it laugh
Yep. 6:00 PM (Mountain) for two hours, Live. And I'll be TiVo'ing it for posterity. smile
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 09:17 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! GEOFF WILL BE THERE!!!! I WILL BE TOO AFRAID TO TALK TO HIM!!
It'll be fine.

We've got a list of his panels now, and if we hit the DC booth on Preview Night we can probably find out what his signing schedule for the con will be.

If you or anyone else has a camera, we can even get the moment on film.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 09:26 PM
Any chance those of you lucky enough to be going would be willing to pick me up a set of the first day covers for the DC postal stamps premiering at the con?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 09:30 PM
Well, I am already picking up the Star Trek Mirror Mirror figures for Healix. If no one else will do it, I will.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/10/06 09:44 PM
I'd love the Mirror, Mirror figures too (my favorite Trek episode of any incarnation and I already have the Scotty one) but after seeing the prices I decided I couldn't justify the expense.

And don't worry if you can't get the FDCs Quis. I don't want to overload you liquidity.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 03:25 AM
not sure what first day covers are but i can try to find them too. are they something...naughty?
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 03:36 AM
MEL-- I can say the words "fake ID", sure. Not that it does any good. wink And thanks for reminding me, I need to get my handcuffs back from my friend!! tease

Mechana-- Congratulations girl!! That's totally awesome. laugh

OM-- Unfortunately, I won't be there preview night (or Thursday). I've got school. >< If someone doesn't mind stopping by the booth and asking for me, I'd be most appreciative!! Otherwise, I'll just pack something from the Crujectra line and attempt to use my wiles on the booth henchmen. wink

Incidentally, do you (any of you) think Geoff would draw me a Flash? And how does one usually pay for commissions? (There are going to be former Flash artists there for a Flash panel-- obsessive what?) Check or cash? Will there be ATMs around? Etc.

Oh!! And, since I sort of wanted to bring my bike on the train, would that fit in the van thingy or should I just scrap that idea entirely? (I'm still trying to figure out if it's practical or not.)
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 04:39 AM
not sure what first day covers are but i can try to find them too. are they something...naughty?
No, that would be the first date uncovers. wink

First Day Covers, FDCs, are envelopes or postcards that contain, usually, some artwork related to a new stamp release, the new stamp and a special cancellation for the first day of issue. A big branch of stamp collecting. I've never gotten into it unless it is something that relates to another area of interest (like Poe, Dracula or Wile E. Coyote, all of which I have FDCs for).
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 05:10 AM
[Linked Image]

Cali, my friend Hao (he's going to be at San Diego too) got a Flash from Geoff so I think you should be able to too:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=92036&GSub=21515

Comissions are predominantly cash based. Some folks prearrange comissions online (paypal or whatever) beforehand and pick them up at cons. Sketches (usually head/torso shots) at the DC booth should be free. Some artists only sketch for children and that rare species Comicus Collectorus Femalien so you've got a good chance of getting good stuff - remember to bring a sketchbook, pencils/pens/sharpies (just in case)!
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 05:13 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Caliente:
<strong> ... wink And thanks for reminding me, I need to get my handcuffs back from my friend!! lol

wink AND you can wear them for Quis when he does his famous "Sugar Daddy" routine... (Public Performances ONLY!) tease
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 05:40 AM
Okay, I sent out the phone list to everyone who sent me their phone no. (Except for MEL who's mailbox is full, Clean it out Kev, and I'll send it to you also, HINT, HINT)
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 06:26 AM
It's clearer for numbers! I wanna reach out and touch someone!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 07:06 PM
Will there be ATMs around? Etc.

Oh!! And, since I sort of wanted to bring my bike on the train, would that fit in the van thingy or should I just scrap that idea entirely? (I'm still trying to figure out if it's practical or not.)
Last time I was there, there were plenty of ATMs downtown, and (I believe) at the con center itself.

Well if you can get your bike and baggage on and off of the train, even if it won't fit into Abin's car, we've got enough able bodies to get you sorted out. One of us could ride the bike to your hotel via the ferry.

But it sounds like Abin's getting a mid-sized car, so with a worst-case scenario of using a bungee cord to keep the truck closed, we could get all of you situated in one move.

So bring it!
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/11/06 10:42 PM
[Linked Image]
...wow. I think I'm traumatized... o.o

Well if you can get your bike and baggage on and off of the train, even if it won't fit into Abin's car, we've got enough able bodies to get you sorted out. One of us could ride the bike to your hotel via the ferry.

But it sounds like Abin's getting a mid-sized car, so with a worst-case scenario of using a bungee cord to keep the truck closed, we could get all of you situated in one move.

So bring it!
Ooh, I think I even have a bungee cord, now that you mention it. I just mostly wanted the bike to get from my hotel to yours and, possibly, to the beach. (Because, y'know, living three blocks away obviously isn't the same. >.>)

Thanks for all your help guys. smile I reeeeally appreciate it. Honestly, if not for all of you, I wouldn't have made it this far, let alone actually making it to the con (which will hopefully go off without a hitch *crosses fingers*). Thanks sooo much. hug
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/12/06 02:04 AM

Cali, my friend Hao (he's going to be at San Diego too) got a Flash from Geoff so I think you should be able to too:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=92036&GSub=21515

Comissions are predominantly cash based. Some folks prearrange comissions online (paypal or whatever) beforehand and pick them up at cons. Sketches (usually head/torso shots) at the DC booth should be free. Some artists only sketch for children and that rare species Comicus Collectorus Femalien so you've got a good chance of getting good stuff - remember to bring a sketchbook, pencils/pens/sharpies (just in case)!
NOTE: For a free sketch for an artist at the DC booth (and probably other boothes) you have to stand in line and unless you are first in line, it can be a long wait. Caliente, we will try to find out if Geoff is doing sketches at the DC booth & when.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/13/06 05:29 AM
JUST Two More Days!

I'm getting Psyched!
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/13/06 08:15 PM
Oh man, I gotta start packing, figure out what panels to do, what creators to see, pull comics I want to get signed, finishing my summer school work in advance...

so since some folks are leaving soon, do we want to make any loose plans for meeting up or are we just going to play it by ear (an expression which I'm not sure I wholly understand incidentally)?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/13/06 08:20 PM
You all just have fun. Caroline and I will be thinking of you, especially those in Vegas. frown
Posted By: Pov Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 02:00 AM
Hey guys, if Gary can't actually make it to the SDCC, somebody find out what "swag" DC Direct is offering here. Don't forget the passwords!
Posted By: Glen Cadigan Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 02:08 AM
Hey, Kids!

I'm gonna be at San Diego this year, so if you've got anything that you want signed, bring it along! I don't know my official schedule yet, but I'll be at the TwoMorrows booth off and on throughout the con.

See you there!
Posted By: Caliente Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 03:10 AM
Hey SDCC guys 'n' gals--

Which one of your numbers should I call first for my pick up from the train station? And would said person like a head's up a few stations away? *is from a weird family that way*

Also, side note, I suck at phone calls. Just to forewarn. I pretty much spaz and fail at life. And when I'm nervous or excited (and I'll probably be both) it gets worse. Muuuch worse.

So fun for all o' you!! wink Uh, yeah. That's it. smile
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Pov:
Hey guys, if Gary can't actually make it to the SDCC, somebody find out what "swag" DC Direct is offering here. Don't forget the passwords!
They passed out power rings last year?

And I *missed* it?

Well, drat....
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 05:07 AM
Hey SDCC guys 'n' gals--

Which one of your numbers should I call first for my pick up from the train station? And would said person like a head's up a few stations away? *is from a weird family that way*

Also, side note, I suck at phone calls. Just to forewarn. I pretty much spaz and fail at life. And when I'm nervous or excited (and I'll probably be both) it gets worse. Muuuch worse.

So fun for all o' you!! wink Uh, yeah. That's it. smile
I guess I'll volunteer.

Provided you promise to help me back to the car. These Old Legs will probably be all worn out at that late hour... tease
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 10:03 AM
Pov based on those passwords I'm thinking it'll be a green lantern related item and a "Who's Who" mini toy related item.

For you Vegas lads, can you bet on Black 247? A drunk Naltorian told me that'd be a winning roulette draw this coming week.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 02:29 PM
Tomorrow, Tomorrow...

I'll be in Vegas Tomorrow...

It's only a Day A-Way!
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 07:22 PM
Have a safe try to Vegas and Diego all! Feel free to take incriminating photos to share here tongue
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 08:22 PM
MEL-

That makes it sound like you're not coming!? wot happened!? You better still be coming, or I'll ask Tamper to render all the world's monkeys inedible!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 09:23 PM
Belated response to Mechana-

[Linked Image]

That's me on the left in green; Quislet is two down from me, in blue with the strap, Miner is to the right of him at the back, and Abin is second from the right.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 09:32 PM
Belated response to Mechana-

[Linked Image]

That's me on the left in green; Quislet is two down from me, in blue with the strap, Miner is to the right of him at the back, and Abin is second from the right.
a most wretched hive of scum and villainy
Posted By: mechana Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 10:34 PM
Thanks for the photo Kent.

Well, greetings from Los Angeles. I got here yesterday; totally a last minute thing! If I can figure out how to take, host and post a current pic from here, I will.

And my plans for San Diego haven't changed, other than I'll be driving in from LA with my Shawn.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/14/06 10:52 PM
WOW!!! 3 more days till Vegas, and 5 more till comic-con. i am soooo stoked!!!!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/15/06 03:39 AM
[QUOTE]a most wretched hive of scum and villainy
I thought you liked Boston.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/15/06 10:23 PM
He does. But what better sort of place for a lawyer to lurk? wink

Well, I made it to Chicago so far. grabbing a late lunch and a beer at Midway Airport (Carter and Sheira say 'hi'). The flight went fine, Amtrak was fine... the only delay was on the #7 subway train and the #48 bus getting to Laguardia, but nothing to complain about.

I've got about 3.5 hours to kill til the next leg.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/16/06 12:29 AM
Oh, well we do have some cell phone numbers.

The usual thing we have done on conventions is to use the DC booth as a meeting place.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/16/06 01:10 AM
makes sense. since so many of us will be at the Best Western Coronado, I'd suggest those of us who have checked in and are ready to roll before preview-night-registration could congregate in the lobby there, too, and we can go over together.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/16/06 07:53 AM
Okay, Kent and I are checked into the Stratosphere in Vegas.

Whew, what a day! First my plane couldn't land due to weather conditions in Philly so I missed my Vegas connection. Then I got upgraded to 1st class on the second flight, then I got here and found my rentalcar reservation wasn't changed, so I wound up with a mini-van, then I promptly got lost (three times) and was late picking Kent up at the airport.

But we're here...

Now What?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/16/06 08:22 AM
The Strip is actually a lot more compact than I'd imagined. It's actually quite walkable (at night).

I flew in at the edge of dusk; the lights were just coming on. it's a sight to behold.

Didn't expect all the driving billboards (on trucks) for escort agencies, tho, circling up and down the strip.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/16/06 08:40 PM
Well the group in Vegas has grown, the semi-imaginary poster known as STU has joined us.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/16/06 11:05 PM
Hello STU, Kent & Abin! Hope you're having a great time. Abin, remember that you can't "borrow" casino chips like you do comic previews.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/17/06 02:01 AM
Oh no, I'm stil coming to San Diego - just hoping someone takes pictures of the Vegas leg of the Legionworld meetup! Will there be showgirls, bouncers, gangsters in any of them I wonder?

Legion related creators scheduled to attend: Mark Waid, Steve Wacker, our own Mechana! Eric Wright, Jason Pearson, Eric Canete (cartoon), Jeff and Phil Moy, Todd Nauck, Bruce Timm, Dave Johnson (cartoon), Yuri Lowenthal (cartoon voice). Who did I miss?

MEL-

That makes it sound like you're not coming!? wot happened!? You better still be coming, or I'll ask Tamper to render all the world's monkeys inedible!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/17/06 02:17 AM
Gail Simone.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/17/06 07:41 AM
The adventures of Kent and STU!
Or,
Injuries! minor and almosts.

As STU and I were walking up the strip back towards the hotel this evening, the wind suddently picked up, propelling my hat down the street. chasing after it, I almost got it several times, but each new gust kept it going --- into the edge of the roadway (although I did not venture out into the lane, a car was nice enough to stop and give me room). Just as I nab it with one foot before another gust can get it again, my other foot, on a patch of dirt, gives way, and down I slide, scraping up my lower right leg and my left pinky, and bruising my right wrist.

But I have caught my hat, and limp to meet up with the perplexed STU, who apparently thoughtI was clowning around, as if the wind was stronger than it was and blowing me around.

As we resume walking (hat in my hand), several pieces of tile/wood/something-or-other from a nearby new condo tower start blowing loose, with one crashing not far from us. We bolt to get under a protective construction canopy over the pedestrian walk as a few more tiles let loose.

Back at the stratosphere, we grab a late snack at the Chinese/Sushi place. My fortune cookie says, "You will soon be changing careers," while STU's recommends that he should be in a certain profession -- one he is already in. Both a little too late, one by days and one by years.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/17/06 05:14 PM
Damm, Do I have to baby-sit you two guys 24/7? lol

The things I miss when I decide to turn in early.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/17/06 07:00 PM
After collecting pamphlets all day about services for strippers who will come to one's hotel rooms, we're expected to believe Abin retired and had a quiet evening.

Riiiight.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/17/06 07:22 PM
rotflmao

Considering the Stripper at home, why would I take that chance?

Pagan, Baby, Ignore Kent! He's just Jealous!!!!

rotflmao
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/18/06 09:14 AM
We're still waiting for STU to tell you all the luncheonette story.

LEGION-John arrived safely. With Abin tending to (ahem) other matters and hopefully not getting arrested, STU, John and I had dinner at Quark's Bar at the Star Trek Experience. We'll go back for the Experience itself tomorrow (and finally get around to going up the Stratosphere tower as well).

We just got back from seeing Bite, a goth/vampire show here at the hotel. While it's always nice to see a bunch of beautiful young women dancing around topless, I found the music pretty funny - a lot of 80s hair-band rock (and 70s/80s classic rock in general), plus a few sappy Styx numbers.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/18/06 10:14 AM
Yeah, Other Matters included almost being drowned in the pool by an over enthusiastic old friend and an evening at the poker tables.

The only thing I might have been arrested for was losing. Rassa-Frassin Second Best poker really bites!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/19/06 05:12 AM
In Abin's defence, he did manage to stick to the same story all day long.

ST Exp was a blast! We did both the Borg and Klingon ones. We also went up atop the Stratosphere tower today. STU was the bravest, going on one of the rides where they shoot you up the tallest spire.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/19/06 11:11 AM
Did you guys buy a bottle of Klingon blood wine from the Star Trek store? Do they still have the joust at Excalibur? I love the gaming area there...
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: San Diego 2006 - 07/20/06 12:53 AM
I didn't get the blood wine - $24 for California merlot, no way. STU got some Romulan ale.

They still joust at Excalibur.

Abin, me, LEGION-John, Miner and Quis have all arrived safe and sound. We're leaving for the preview some.
© Legion World