Legion World
Posted By: Space Cadet Young Legion #300 - 09/16/13 03:59 AM
Yikes! Just looked up and realized it's been almost four years since I posted the last of my Young Legion/Young Ultra Boy picts.

Back then, I was playing with a very simple, very kid-friendly toon style.

With the recent cancellation of Legion and the lack of enthusiasm I had for the last story arc (people losing limbs, getting killed, possibly eaten... etc.) I figured I'd really go back to basics and do an even simpler Toon version of the Legion circa ADVENTURE #300 (seemed as good a place as any to start).

LIttle know fact #1: about three blocks from the Super Hero Clubhouse is MOONSHINE'S DRIVE-IN DINER, where they serve the best Cosmic Burgers, Galaxy Fries and Milky Way Shakes in the UFP.

Little known fact #2: automatic door openers don't open for Phantom Girl; it's like they don't recognize that she's there.

The models are extremely simple and cobbled together from existing parts, so the costumes are only approximations; to get them closer to canon will mean more modelling than I had time to do (work and family still devour most of my spare time, and all of these characters were done over a weekend). A big plus is that these models animate really, really nicely (if I ever decided to do a cartoon clip or two).

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome; click for a much bigger picture.

click to enlarge
Posted By: Set Re: Young Legion #300 - 09/17/13 07:47 PM
Mon mugging for the camera with Gim and Salu is awesome.

Very cute!

Posted By: Space Cadet Re: Young Legion #300 - 09/18/13 05:03 AM
Originally Posted by Set

Very cute!

Originally Posted by Set

Very cute!

Thanks, just figured I'd have a little fun. It's been a long haul lately and I need to get my creative juices flowing again, so I figured I'd start off with something quick and simple.

Here's a few more done in the same style (click the thumbs to make 'em bigger):

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Posted By: razsolo Re: Young Legion #300 - 09/18/13 07:52 AM
They're super cute! I think Tinya and Garth are my faves laugh
Posted By: kenaustin Re: Young Legion #300 - 09/19/13 03:15 AM
These are great, I'd love to see them animated!! Thumbs up for Colossal Boy's "hang loose" and the lightning effect in Lightning Lad's eyes.
smile
Posted By: Space Cadet Re: Young Legion #300 - 09/19/13 04:12 AM
Thanks guys, glad you're enjoying them. They're fun to play with.

Time permitting, I'll try some animation this weekend. In the meantime, a few more stills:

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Posted By: Set Re: Young Legion #300 - 09/19/13 12:33 PM
Love the three Lu's stepping out of each other. Very cool.
Posted By: Space Cadet Re: Young Legion #300 - 09/20/13 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Set
Love the three Lu's stepping out of each other. Very cool.

Thanks, 3D art makes things like that so simple, it's almost not fair.

Short of time at the moment, here's a quickie of one of my favourite Legionnaires of the era, Ultra Boy:

click to enlarge
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Young Legion #300 - 10/29/13 12:56 PM
They're so cute! And that pic of Luornu in mid-triplicate is astounding!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Young Legion #300 - 10/29/13 09:02 PM
These are great. I really liked the Gim and Salu poses too.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: Young Legion #300 - 11/07/13 01:56 PM
FABOO!
Posted By: Dain Re: Young Legion #300 - 11/08/13 10:41 PM
They are beyond cool! Simply awesome!

May I ask what program(s) you used to make them? smile
Posted By: Space Cadet Re: Young Legion #300 - 11/28/13 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Dain
They are beyond cool! Simply awesome!

May I ask what program(s) you used to make them? smile

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's appreciated.

Still running into work days that are way too long, but I hope to knock out a few more picts this weekend.

The software used for most of my quickie picts these days is Daz Studio 3D (it's free!). It comes with some decent 3D people who are more realistic than what I'm playing with here. This round of characters use a base set called "Toon Generations". The last time I tried a youth-oriented toon Legion, I used base characters called Chip and Cookie.
Posted By: Space Cadet Re: Young Legion #300 - 11/28/13 06:05 AM
I did knock off a quick Dream Girl, and I hope to do Element Lad, Matter-Eater Lad and Lightning Lass very soon.

Here's a slight update to the first Toon-Generations-based image in the thread, with Dream Girl added:

click to enlarge

And here's an update to the older, Chip-and-Cookie-based Legion I did the first time around:

click to enlarge

I'm still not sure what style to stick with. The Toon Gen style has some nifty features, like the ability to use the one base model for various ages:

click to enlarge
© Legion World