Legion World
Posted By: veryvery vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/05/08 04:48 AM
hi guys! sketch lad pointed me here. i uh, i have a LOT of legion art. a ton. so much so that i made a sketchbook that i'm selling. if you're interested, you can
find out more here.

i have so much, seriously, it's insane, it's enough to fill a 66 page book. dream girl and querl are my favorites, i think.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/05/08 04:49 AM
also, you might notice that i like to redesign characters and draw them in my own sort of style. one of my victims is kenz nuhor. sorry if this offends your senses ; ;!

[Linked Image]

nura and kenz nuhor.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

here's the cover to my sketch collection, if any of you are at emerald city con this coming weekend, i'll be selling it there too. here's a guide to the legionnaires featured. cheat sheet!
Posted By: Star Boy Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/05/08 09:25 AM
Wow... Those are great!
I was already in love with Xs, but it happened all over again when I saw your pic of her. wink
Fantastic!
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/05/08 05:33 PM
Nice portfolio of Legion Stuff. Some interesting redesigns too. Lots of different Influences from the comics, animated stuff as well as Manga stylings.

I like it a lot.
Posted By: Future Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/05/08 06:10 PM
veryvery, I've admired your stuff for a long time from afar. I love your style. You make the characters your own but they're still recognizable. I've actually been considering buying a copy of your sketchbook to see your other Legion works.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/05/08 06:16 PM
Great stuff! I really like your style vv! Very fluid. Your Imra is such a cutie!
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/05/08 10:47 PM
Great stuff!! I especially like the more finished color drawings and the big b/w group shot (your cover). The sketches are terrific too smile
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/07/08 06:41 AM
vv, I'm so glad you're here! LOVE your artwork.

Is your Kenz Nuhor sketch the person with dread locks? Interesting idea, if so. I love your short haired Nura with the little star barrette!
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/07/08 07:38 AM
ahhh, thanks for all the kind words everyone!

yes, that's my version of Kenz, i know it's weird, sorry!

i read that lightning saga thing where star boy/man freaks out over his killing of Kenz and so I thought "oh wow, i've got to read that old issue! it must be so dramatic!", but it was like, two panels of some guy showing up and getting killed, the rest being a (AMAZINGLY FUNNY) court case featuring superman as the worst lawyer ever.

i try to make the people i draw look different from one another, and kenz' original design made him look..well, exactly like star boy (curt swan and co weren't so great at drawing differing boy-faces back in the day). i figured that dream girl is such a pretty, classy girl, she must have dated someone that looked a bit more stylish!

you know, one thing I never understood was "if he's from naltor, didn't he see that he'd get killed?".
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/10/08 06:18 AM
[Linked Image]

a collaboration with my partner-in-crime! i did the sketch, she did the inks and formatting and general making it look amazing. i like my art so much better after she's inked it! I usually feel only a vague sadness at my pictures or something a short lived sense of satisfaction. but when she inks it i love it forever! you can check her amazing skills out at k van dam or her deviantart page ! (you'll notice we have matching websites, her awesome design!)

maybe one day, when we gets some time, we'll be able to work on that comicbook project together. (you can see some concept work for that project here !)
Posted By: MLLASH Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 05/14/08 05:11 PM
Echoing Sketch here-- the shorter-haired Dreamy with star barette is FABulous. And this coming from someone who would never have considered the possibility of a short-haired Nura.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/01/08 12:37 AM
[Linked Image]

people who preordered my legion sketchbook thing got a sketch of whatever they wanted inside, so here's all the pictures that were done inside, most of them are legion related.

people who bought these really wanted to see querl making out with people! hahah he looks so popular!

i think my favorite is the tiny picture of magno on a date with night lass.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/01/08 07:09 PM
Funny there's so much interest in the making-out Brainy.

Still, your Nura sketches are my favorites. That big kitty/tiger one! Aaaawww!
Posted By: Triplicate Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/02/08 04:08 AM
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Echoing Sketch here-- the shorter-haired Dreamy with star barette is FABulous. And this coming from someone who would never have considered the possibility of a short-haired Nura.
I didn't think of it, either. I always saw Dreamy as heart-stoppingly beautiful (at least, that was how she *should* be; I'm not especially attracted to her look). I never considered heart-meltingly cute.
Originally posted by veryvery:
i think my favorite is the tiny picture of magno on a date with night lass.
And I can't quite make out... uh, who's making out to the right of them.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/02/08 05:18 AM
And I can't quite make out... uh, who's making out to the right of them.
someone requested a girl-b5 kissing girl-invisible kid. but i draw them so petit in the first place that they don't really look that different except they have breasts .___.;
Posted By: Yk Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/02/08 08:01 AM
Girls kissing.
laugh
Cool.

What if Brainy had a twin sister? Would she be Brainiac-6?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/02/08 08:14 AM
she'd be cute is what she'd be ;__;!! i WISH they'd give him a tiny sibling. i remember his crazy mom said something like "i should have another baby so i can kill it"....hmm!!
Posted By: Gina D#C Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/06/08 01:25 AM
<3 you, vv laugh laugh laugh laugh

Magno IS the same as a cute little bird ^______^
Posted By: action figure lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/08/08 03:42 AM
nice... I like the loose sketchy style you got going.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/08/08 07:38 PM
also, you might notice that i like to redesign characters and draw them in my own sort of style. one of my victims is kenz nuhor. sorry if this offends your senses ; ;!

[Linked Image]

nura and kenz nuhor.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

here's the cover to my sketch collection, if any of you are at emerald city con this coming weekend, i'll be selling it there too. here's a guide to the legionnaires featured. cheat sheet!
I just wanted to get this post repeated on page 2!
I enjoy your work alot!

I'll chime in and agree about Dreamy-- I also love your rendition of XS. And is that Element Lad actually smiling in the big group shot? I *like* it!

I also like that aloof expression Cosmic Boy has with the other founders. I wonder what he's thinking?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/08/08 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I just wanted to get this post repeated on page 2!
I enjoy your work alot!

I'll chime in and agree about Dreamy-- I also love your rendition of XS. And is that Element Lad actually smiling in the big group shot? I *like* it!

I also like that aloof expression Cosmic Boy has with the other founders. I wonder what he's thinking? [/QB]
well i was trying to play off of the love triangle in that picture, so that's why cos is looking at his cofounders right there!
Posted By: Caliente Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 06/17/08 06:37 PM
So cool. Great stuff, very very. Love it. laugh
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 07/25/08 07:38 AM
ok well, this is my latest. it's adult, but somehow there's no nudity. not work safe, but ah well i don't think it should offend anyone's soul but if it's bothersome to people just note me and I'll take it down. but i spent some time on it and think it came out pretty well and wanted to share it @_@! i try to make my sex scenes more pretty and affectionate than anything else.
preview>>
[Linked Image]

querlxnura
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 07/26/08 11:24 AM
ok, something not scandalous this time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 08/19/08 04:26 AM
[Linked Image]

a partner picture to the nura one. not as cute, i think. the sketch was much nicer to me, i just couldn't get her mouth to do what it was doing in the sketch i don't know why... flash also froze in the middle of inking this so i cried many tears.

oh well. enjoy!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 08/19/08 02:29 PM
ok well, this is my latest. it's adult, but somehow there's no nudity. not work safe, but ah well i don't think it should offend anyone's soul but if it's bothersome to people just note me and I'll take it down. but i spent some time on it and think it came out pretty well and wanted to share it @_@! i try to make my sex scenes more pretty and affectionate than anything else.
preview>>
[Linked Image]

querlxnura
I think its stunningly beautiful. You're right, its very affectionate and pretty. There's nothing vulgar at all about the pic...I think its simply just stunning. By far my favorite you've done thus far.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 08/25/08 10:23 AM
Cute Saturn Girl wouldn't work as well as cute Nura, IMO. I think they both look just right here. And I love your XS!
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/10/08 10:36 AM
[Linked Image]

dream girl and white witch being happy sisters. done in open canvas.

my redesigns are getting more and more insane, i'm so sorry.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/10/08 12:01 PM
The Nura & Mysa picture is so cute.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/11/08 01:07 AM
Well I love the Nal girls! Thanks, vv!
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/12/08 11:35 PM
REQUEST!!!!

vv, you made a comment on another thread about an AH! sketch of Saturn Girl with pigtails, and it made me think that Phantom Girl is the Legionnaire best known for pigtails.

So.... what's the possibility of seeing a sketch like that, in your style?

No pressure!
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/13/08 08:47 AM
actually... i have drawn her before. wtf, i cannot believe i didn't post this here. it's one of the first legion things i did!!

there's a couple other pictures of her in the sketchbook i think and good luck spotting her on the cover, but i haven't done her in pigtails. i will definitely make that happen. if any of the rest of you have requests you can make them known smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/13/08 09:12 PM
some other stuff i've neglected to share, some sequential stuff:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Set Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/13/08 10:22 PM
That Phantom Girl pic above is absolutely awesome.

Jo looks a little goth-y, which is very much not what I would have thought for him, but still, very cool. Your colors are *amazing.*
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/13/08 10:50 PM
thanks so much, set!! 8__8!! hahaha the goth thing, i was trying to make him look more like a thug, and gave his costume darker colors. buth is face got pretty muddled. i really want to draw him again, since i didn't think that picture was very successful @_@! (ahhh probably why i didn't post it, now i see)
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/13/08 11:26 PM
I like you Batman meets Superman.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/17/08 04:54 AM
[Linked Image]

totally forgot to post this
Posted By: Set Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/17/08 05:23 AM
That Mon-El makes him look like Peter Pan, not entirely 'of this world,' and a little bit fey.

Mon's the ultimate 'Lost Boy.' A dozen lifetimes spent in Never-Never Land. He'll never grow up. He'll never die.

But there's pirates...
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/17/08 05:51 AM
whoa, interesting interpretation, set!! too true!!

i think his outfit makes him look like a little prince, and i think that describes his personality a lot, a little gentleman ;___;!!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/18/08 01:10 AM
I *love* the Tinya/Jo picture. You have a way of doing unprecedented takes on characters and making them totally work. The white boots rawk. Not everyone can rawk white boots.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/18/08 01:13 AM
[Linked Image]

dream girl and white witch being happy sisters. done in open canvas.

my redesigns are getting more and more insane, i'm so sorry.
OMG, I *adore* this TOO! Er-- how does one buy a copy of your sketchbook?
Posted By: MLLASH Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/18/08 01:16 AM
Never mind... just saw the first post again... I'll be buying soon.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/18/08 01:19 AM
And as for requests... I can't help but wonder how the fabulous LANA LANG as INSECT QUEEN would look as done in v.v style...?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/18/08 10:34 AM
click to enlarge

a pigtailed tinya for sketchlad~ she looks like one of those dogs where people put their fluffy ears up in a bow.

she's the only one i can accept wearing a long dress because her powers permit it to not be a horrible idea.

millash: i'll get right on that insect queen! i had no idea lana was a legionnaire, let alone a nightmarish insect one. i think i'll err on the side of cuteness and not "horrifying abomination" though. (surprising, i know)
Posted By: MLLASH Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/18/08 12:52 PM
Lana did tend to look a little freakly when in a half-insect form, but her costume was adorable, complete with bow in her hair! Can't wait to see your take!

Pigtails Tinya is lovely.
Posted By: Set Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/19/08 09:50 PM
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Lana did tend to look a little freakly when in a half-insect form, but her costume was adorable, complete with bow in her hair! Can't wait to see your take!
She could probably look more pixie-like, with cute butterfly wings and big feathery antennae.

A creepy ghostly-looking luna-moth-Lana would be interesting...
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/20/08 01:17 AM
yes, pixie cute was what i was planning!
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/20/08 01:43 AM
[QB] click to enlarge
She's really cute, but somehow remains ghosty-cool.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/20/08 01:43 AM
oh, and thank you for honoring the request.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/23/08 10:46 AM
click to enlarge

weirdly enough, mary jane watson also became a superhero named insect queen.... two annoying redheads with the same gimmick, hmmm!!
Posted By: Yk Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/25/08 10:34 PM
0!
Very (very) cool!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/26/08 09:07 AM
Mary Jane was also an Insect Queen? Didn't know that. Your Insect Queen looks cute, not annoying, but looks like she's up to something.
Posted By: Set Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/26/08 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Mary Jane was also an Insect Queen? Didn't know that.
Here's a pic of Mary Jane as 'Insect Girl' I found on the M&M boards.

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/view...=05888d160ed6f9f0b9d602680c04a016#468261

It's entirely a fan-build, 'though, I have no idea if she's actually had bug-powers in the canon or some elseworlds type scenario...
MJ was insect queen in one panel of Spider-Boy from Amalgam comics. She only really appeared in the last panel.

On a somewhat related note, I like your insect queen pic VV. It looks like she's a cosplayer tho' xD.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 09/27/08 06:17 AM
Insect Queen is quite cute!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/04/08 11:06 PM
Oh, she's perfect! Love it.

I have *strongly* suggested to my Mom that your book would make an excellent Christmas gift for me!
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/21/08 08:01 AM
ok, this is wholly unrelated to the legion but i spent the weekend indulging in 24 hour comic book day though i didn't accomplish it in 24 straight hours since i'm made of tissues. there's SO MUCH foul language. and violence. but you can get it here. halloween adventure

i'll have some b5/nura fan comic thing for you guys soon.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/24/08 12:25 PM
ohhh my godddd it's 5 am, i seriously have a problem

i think this is going to be one of my last legion fanart things, i need to focus on my own projects and i just feel like i'm doing the legion a great disservice in general by excessively drawing stuff only remotely related to anything published. more and more it's just a horrible, anime bastardization of it all. *excessive emo rambling*

anyways, i'm obviously excited for the next issue. hopefully something awful won't happen where he beats her to death or something.

click to enlarge
Posted By: Triplicate Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/25/08 01:23 AM
"You're even capable of having dreams within my mind." Wonderful.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/25/08 03:59 AM
thanks >___<!!!i'm not allowed to write the legion because it'd just be hand-kisses all the time smirk
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/27/08 04:52 AM
What an idea! Brilliant! It actually kinda makes my brain hurt, but I'm no Coluan or Naltorian.

The art is perfect, too.... uber cutesy for the dream sequences and more like regular for "real" Brainy.

MORE!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/28/08 08:22 PM
I love it.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/28/08 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
[QB] click to enlarge
She's really cute, but somehow remains ghosty-cool.
She looks a LOT like my sex year old granddaughter, Mady!

I love XS and well, all of them.
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Yk Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 10/29/08 12:04 AM
lol

That's cute, it's funny and I just love your art. Lash's mom should definitely get your book for him for Christmas. laugh
I ought to get one for my daughter (then I could read it too)
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/08/08 02:45 PM
click to enlarge click to enlarge

legion of three worlds stuff
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/08/08 10:47 PM
Fun stuff!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/10/08 10:28 PM
Action Brainy kinda reminds me of Doctor Who.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/10/08 10:39 PM
I wish I had talent... or imagination. Just once I'd like to be THAT guy at the party.

sigh
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/11/08 06:03 PM
Oh, thanks for the artbook!
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/11/08 09:00 PM
ahhhh thanks for buying it @_@!!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/18/08 12:31 AM
I just got the book. There was Rainbow Girl...

*Takes deep breath*

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTH-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sorry, passed out and fell on the A key. Where am I?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/18/08 02:42 AM
ahh i'm glad you liked it! towards the end i asked people who they wanted in it and someone asked for rainbow girl specifically. actually a lot of people tended to request subs. i wish rainbow girl was a sort of rainbow brite looking thing.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/18/08 06:41 AM
Hey, would it be alright if I suggested that "love chicken" game as the plot for a story on fanfiction.net?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/18/08 07:11 AM
yeah, go nuts! just give me a shout out!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/18/08 07:57 AM
Thanks! Oh, and do you think there's a possibilty of posting that sketch of Lyle learning about Garth's twin on DA? That one was so funny, poor Lyle.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/18/08 08:04 AM
suuuuuuure.

click to enlarge

hahah that was done towards the end so it's markedly better than some of the other stuff in there @_@!!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/18/08 08:09 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/20/08 11:42 AM
click to enlarge

i want mon-el to come home! poor guy. krypto is helping by slobbering over him.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 11/30/08 03:08 AM
click to enlarge

the founders!!
Posted By: Triplicate Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/01/08 11:03 PM
That is such a different view of them from any I ever thought I'd see - how often do you see Imra with that expression? I love it.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/02/08 03:48 AM
I forgot to comment on it! I think that picture of the founders is fantastic!!!
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/02/08 07:36 AM
thanks guys!!
Posted By: Snakeguru Lass Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/02/08 08:21 AM
I've seen your art on DA as well and i like your work, it's a very unique and cute kind of style.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/27/08 03:55 AM
thanks again for the nice words, guys!!!

so!! i've been pretty quiet lately! me and my friend have been working on a webcomic! not legion related but please check it out!
S.T.O.P. Stellar Tactical and Offensive Project
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/27/08 06:54 PM
Wow, really nice, clean artwork! A very interesting concept, too. I like the characters, so far. A lot to look forward to! Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/27/08 08:33 PM
ahhh thanks man ;_____;!!!!!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/27/08 08:37 PM
While I liked your pencils here and on LJ, they didn't prepare me at all for this sleek 'n showy look. Very nice. Look forward to reading more.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 12/27/08 10:05 PM
If only I could come up with somethin original like that. Maybe a story about a dog that solves mysteries. Only he's a man who THINKS he's a dog.

Aside from my craziness, very good job. Keep it up and good luck in the future.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/06/09 02:29 AM
thanks for the kind words! all sleekness is totally due to the powers of my partner. i had her really horrible roughs and she makes them beautiful ;__;! i hardly do anything @_@!

we're going to submit to zuda, which is a pretty brutal arena but here's hoping!! i swear to god, i will one day write legion!! or at least work for DC!!

here is only a tangentially related tiny comic i doodled after finishing the sketch for the latest page (we're up to 6 now! ahh, exciting ;_;!).

click to enlarge
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/06/09 03:14 AM
It would be SO creepy if Batman actually said that.

Break a leg on Zuda! Good luck.
Posted By: Caliente Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/06/09 06:04 PM
Bwahahaha! Oh Batman. Love it. laugh
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/17/09 03:21 AM
i will have some sketches for you guys later tonight~ but i decided that i hate selling my book on ebay <3 not worth it! and i used all my monkey powers to set up a page where you can buy it via paypal.

so, if you want to buy my sketchbook in the future, it's here .

boring boring...

you guys have any requests?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/20/09 07:50 AM
by "tonight" i meant "days from now" apparently...

click to enlarge
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/20/09 09:25 AM
oh, and to turn the nerdage up to 5000?!!

FAN ART OF THE SMALLVILLE EPISODE

click to enlarge
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/20/09 05:17 PM
If the girls on ff.net see that they might spiral out of control and do unspeakable things in their moment of fan ecstasy. Nice work.
WOO Love the new stuff VV! Especially the stuff based off of the Legion ep. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one making stuff form/based off of it. ^_^
Posted By: Set Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/21/09 10:16 AM
I love this bit

"I have aroused an unholy umbrage in my lovely new bride."

"What? Already? How?"

The 'already?' part made me laugh. It's like Lyle saying, 'well, duh, we all knew you would, but we didn't think it would happen this fast!'
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/22/09 01:57 AM
Hello, vv fan here!

Posted at the Spiffy Graphice thead also:

"Great! You make me want to create Smallville 'Legion' fan art!"

True.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 01/22/09 10:21 AM
Ah, impossible to have too much Brainy. And Nura's so cute there.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/05/09 01:02 AM
Well, suggestions. Okay, but I just want you to remember, you brought this on yoself...

*You did a picture of the three Querls in winter gear. Why not one of the Garths, Rokks, in Imras, in spring, summer, and fall gear. It'll be fabulouth!

*Or maybe, Threeboot Garth looking horrified when he learns it's a tradition for the Ranzzes to get their arms cut off, and then die.

*Calorie Queen and Saturn Queen fighting over Tenzil.

*Cartoon Tinya and Comic Tinya freaking when they learn who the other is going out with.

*Cos and Night Girl.

*Maybe some of the Khund Legionnaires like Veilmist and Flederweb, or maybe Computo II and Dragonmage.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/05/09 01:17 AM
The Brainy & Lyle exchange was tres funny.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/14/09 11:11 AM
had a long long meeting today. only vaguely legion related.

click to enlarge
Posted By: Power Boy Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/14/09 12:06 PM
hot!
Posted By: Yk Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/14/09 05:56 PM
lol
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/14/09 09:31 PM
What he said.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/21/09 09:35 AM
click to enlarge

i love rebels ;_;
Posted By: Power Boy Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/21/09 10:26 AM
these are veryvery good. dc or marvel should sign u up....
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/21/09 10:32 AM
hahaha ;__; doing that webcomic has taught me that my art isn't nearly clean enough. it's really....really disheartening. so i'm stuck doing character design and illustration until i can step up my game!!! thanks so much though!!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/21/09 11:43 AM
ohhh leave that to the inker and colorist. lol
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/21/09 06:04 PM
Supergirl's face is priceless. Once again, nice.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/21/09 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:
ohhh leave that to the inker and colorist. lol
Really. If they whine, just throw more money at them. That's how I became a big success.

angel
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/21/09 08:06 PM
I haven't picked up my comics yet, so I don't have rebels, but I'm a fan of vv's work.

Maybe we can be a dynamic duo... I'll be Sketch Lad and you'll be Very Very Sketchy. We'll spread sketchy goodness all over the multi-verse!

MWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/22/09 05:11 AM
ahhno, i have the benefit of an inker that 1) lives with me and 2) knows exactly how to read my stuff...
except sometimes it's too messy for even her ;__;! then i have to tighten it up more for her or explain what the hell i was drawing.

when you're being hired as a penciller, they're looking for people with really clean art, especially the big two. that way they can pair you up with pretty much any inker and it'll come out coherent. it also cuts down on time, because you don't have to do a lot of back and forth explaining/tightening up. i'm so bad that i'd have to ink my own stuff, but they don't usually let you do that unless you've got really good chops to begin with/have already proven yourself (re: adam hughes, manapul, darwyn cooke, etc).

also, another thing that i'm bad at which is crucial for a sequential artist: consistency. from panel to panel, i'll make the characters' faces different, facial features will be placed differently, etc. when you're working with characters like in american comics where sometimes the only different between the characters IS their facial structure, you're in big trouble.

for example, if you have cosmic boy and clark and mon-el hanging out, you have to make their faces easily distinguishable. it's fine if they have brightly colored different costumes, but if it's just a dramatic panel of their face? you really need to know who's talking and having the right facial structure is important to that. one reason i really love coipel and manapul's work is that there can be 5 guys with blonde hair and you always know who is who.

sketch: ahahah!! let's do it! you know i'd really love to color up one of your pictures one day. (or ink it really horrifically laugh )
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/22/09 05:20 AM
Wow. I feel kinda bad for making those requests, now.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/22/09 05:27 AM
ahh, no it's cool, i asked for them! i'm just kind of screwed at the moment to draw things. in general, i'm starved for people that even know what the legion is, let alone know what i'm drawing in my weird style...
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/22/09 05:33 AM
Still, I honestly do hope it gets better for you.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/22/09 05:56 AM
Oh, and I posted that Three Garths drabble in the "3 Worlds" topic to keep some of you guys entertained, if that's any consolation.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 02/22/09 06:57 AM
hahaha ;__; doing that webcomic has taught me that my art isn't nearly clean enough.
Don't box yourself into thinking your style needs to be ANY certain way! If you can convey story and character your style can be whatever your strengths dictate. Don't feel you have to conform to anything that's been done before! (yes, this is advice I need to heed myself, but it's true!) I understand about trying to work with inkers, but it seems to me that technology is making the Marvel assembly line style a thing of the past. If you can present your work as *the best* it can be, then you'll get noticed, regardless of how you do it. Trying to do something you're not good at will get you nowhere.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/01/09 12:16 PM
ahhh drake, thanks ;_;! but i wouldn't want ot be a burden on other artists @_@! i looked through some of my older art today and puked a lot @_@

in other news. that webcomic i\'ve been working on has gotten up to page 31.

click to enlarge

oh my god ;_; those backgrounds almost killed me. me and my cohort do the layouts/thumbs together, then i "pencil" stuff in photoshop, she inks in PaintToolSai and adds clothing (i suck at clothing), i do the bgs ("inking" included). then she shades and letters. so when i draw the pages, i'm ALWAYS drawing them naked. so i've started to think of the characters as naked... but this time they ARE naked! so.. yeah. OH MY GOD, WHY DID I MAKE HER BATH SO COMPLICATED ;___; *sobs* i was really excited to do this because i wanted to make this look cool but GOD took forever!!!
Posted By: Snakeguru Lass Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/02/09 09:48 PM
This art continues to amaze. I still like this style a lot and that's not going to change.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/02/09 10:01 PM
i like the lashes!!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/03/09 08:02 AM
He's right. The lashes are perfect.

As to why you made the bath so complicated...

The Debil made you do it?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/15/09 03:20 AM
finished querl and vril picture

my cohort, kash, did the inks, then we both colored it.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/15/09 03:49 AM
I commented on it on DA. Nice job.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 04:36 AM
supergirl picture, with inks by k vandam

click to enlarge
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 04:44 AM
Nice. I like the hair.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 05:02 AM
Oh, before I sound rude, how's your comic coming along?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 05:23 AM
on hiatus. my cohort and i are working on our portfolios. so i might post up some out-of-continuity pencils from the portfolio. i'm also planning on making three legion pages and three marvel-related pages.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 05:43 AM
Ah, good for you and good luck. I didn't know you were into Marvel too, of course, that could mean I haven't looked at all your stuff.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 06:20 AM
Oh, yeah, I'm gonna revise some of those requests. I don't think I shou;ld've asked for so much.

Spring: Rokk. Summer: Imra. Fall: Garth.

Oh, and scratch that one of the two LL's making fun of 3boot if you want.
Posted By: Triplicate Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 02:29 PM
Like the costume. Remember how everyone complained about the early appearances of the new Kara? I remember a lot of complaints about panty shots, and about the short skirt often making it look like she couldn't be wearing anything underneath. Somebody asked that Supergirl's costume be done like a figure skater's, with a skirt over a one-piece, so the upskirt shots inevitable with a flying heroine wouldn't seem voyeuristic. Shows how strange people are, since the amount of coverage isn't necessarily any different. But still, I like your choice. It lets you get away with thigh-highs and still not put the feminist fangirls on edge.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 08:23 PM
the thing is, with this, we were specifically going "we want a panty shot that isn't gross". there are two big problems that artists have a difficult time overcoming in not making a really gross picture.

1)a lot of comic book artists have problems drawing clothing. the fashion sense that characters in a superhero comics drops below sealevel sometimes, probably because they're used to drawing essentially "naked flying person" with some colors on top of them to represent a costume. they were hired to make sequential art, not design clothing. most superhero fashion has an eye towards "distinctive" rather than "logical" or "nice looking".

2) inappropriateness. to be honest, a lot of comic book artists (and i've seen this from male and female artists) have no...filter. the problem with panty shots a lot of the time is that sometimes artists don't think about the fact that they're not drawing porn. one of my biggest pet peeves is "really detailed lady parts through undies". nipples visible through costumes and a costume suctioned tightly to a vagina in no comprehensible way. for some reason, when artists draw ladies, they go a little stupid?? bat-nipples, we all noticed those, right? but ladies continue to have nipples RIGHT THERE.

i've seen supergirl look like a perfectly respectable girl in both her current and old outfits. i've seen her also look like a total skank in both too. even powergirl, i've seen looking very regal, but i've also seen her looking like her breasts are trying to fly away as violently as possible.

unfortunately, not all artists can... i don't know, CALM DOWN? and i partially blame editors for not being sensitive to that kind of crap and going "what, no you can't draw a camel-toe, ERASE THAT". for my money, it's wiser to just give the artist a less troublesome costume in the first place rather than open up the possibility of that artist just drawing her like a coke whore.

a lot of artists art not good at drawing ladies, and part of that is because they go "i'm drawing a lady! well let's make something hot!" of course, their idea of "hot" means "bad anatomy". it's really sad because you'll see that same artist draw a car or a dog just fine. someone just needs to take them aside and go "listen, just pretend you're drawing a car, don't freak out". it's the sign of a crappy artist, to be frank, because you can tell they got set in a way of drawing "guy anatomy" and "lady anatomy", so everyone looks like they can benchpress a car, even the guys in the background!! and they're not looking critically at their art anymore.

another part of that is posing/representation.if i told you to draw supergirl with her arms pushing her boobs up at the viewer, a lot of artists would just go with it. if i told you to do that with superman, most of them would go "wait, what?".

if i said "I'm shameless. Let's go with an ASS SHOT. Superundies detailed. Balloons from above. He's walking, restless as always. We can't take our eyes off him. Especially since he's got one fine ass."

again, you'd probably be like "vv, what are you smoking". But that is word-for-word (with the she's switched to he's and panties switches to superundies) a transcript of a frank miller script. and someone read that and went "this is acceptable writing".

like you said, no one looks at a figure skater and goes "whoa, they look so inappropriate". it's all a matter of presentation, believable anatomy, and believable rendering.

and then vv spoke for so long that she blew up darkseid.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 11:24 PM
I blame Rob Liefeld for 2. Anyone else notice artists started drawing that way when he became popular?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/22/09 11:50 PM
i'd say jim lee started it, actually.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/23/09 12:45 AM
Well, from what I've been told, Lee was one of the others who had to copy Liefeld. And then Lee managed to redeem himself. Only what I've heard.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/01/09 08:59 AM
click to enlarge

i have to say that i wish everything on the internet had the "auto-thumb" function. that's seriously the most useful, time saving thing in the world to me.

anyways. super couple!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/03/09 04:04 AM
v v:

...a lot of artists are not good at drawing ladies, and part of that is because they go "i'm drawing a lady! well let's make something hot!"...
Well, the short-form term would be "sexualized."

If I had my way, nobody would be allowed to graduate art school without proving they've read at least a few key passages in John Berger's Ways of Seeing.

That would include not just the "skanky" artists but the ones who can draw "nice" girls or "good girls" and just draw the same one over and over again. In the case of something like Chadwick's Concrete, this gives you these sort of blanky-balloon-faced females who seem to exist in an entirely different galaxy than the male characters;Even when they're standing together in the same panel.

[grumble grumble]
Posted By: cleome57 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/03/09 04:05 AM
Oh, and I can't imagine how your portfolio could look bad, v v. These are really great.

cool
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/03/09 04:24 AM
At the risk of sounding like a yes man, I have to agree with her.

At this point, the only way your portfolio would be bad if someone switched it for a 1987 copy of Playboy.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/03/09 03:07 PM
click to enlarge

i have to say that i wish everything on the internet had the "auto-thumb" function. that's seriously the most useful, time saving thing in the world to me.

anyways. super couple!
Another really great image just like Brainy and Nura! Its so obvious you love these two characters, vv, it really comes through. Love it!
Posted By: Triplicate Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/04/09 12:03 AM
Are you seeing a different image from what I'm seeing?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/04/09 12:21 AM
cobalt kid...what!! hahah what that's imra and garth!! are you just kidding or did you grab a diff picture!! or did you just type that on accident!!

although imra does look EXACTLY like querl... i mean they're practically twins, the same giant pigtails, the same boobs..

hahaha haha oh god. <3
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/04/09 12:26 AM
oh and here's one of the port pages, first one i've finished. oh my god, so hard. i just... i feel bad for ever ragging on a comic book artist ever. i don't know if i could have done 50 better @__@ GOD!

click to enlarge

thanks again for all the sweet words, guys ;__;!!

cleome: I TOTALLY AGREE. for both men and women characters, it's like "LEARN A DIFFERENT FACE!!!"
Posted By: cleome57 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/04/09 06:36 PM
v v, that's terrific. I love how the art nouveau-type door shape kind of holds the whole composition together.

Oh, and as long as we're dreaming out loud, can they all learn about different facial expressions, to go with the different faces ?

sigh
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/04/09 06:50 PM
vv, that sequential page is pro level as far as I'm concerned. Great job!

LOVE the Imra/Garth love scene. Very sweet.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/16/09 06:51 PM
Ooops...vv, meant to say "another really great image just like Nura and Brainy" in reference to your last Nura/Brainy one! Damn typos...
Posted By: Caliente Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/16/09 11:12 PM
Dude, your stuff is so adorable. I want to HUG THEM ALL!! It's weird 'cuz Imra and Garth are like Scott and Jean to me (READ: boring but dependable until someone throws a wrench in the system-- thanks, Morrison) but you really show the feeling behind it. And that makes all the difference.
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/29/09 11:14 AM
thanks guys ;________;!!!!!!!!!

not really legion.... but almost.

click to enlarge

i'm going to marry silica @___@!!! oh my god. i'm positive she'll come back and be amazing =__=!!!!

click to enlarge something my cohort will ink up for me. vril playing with lyrl with a puppet
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/29/09 11:28 AM
Love the detailing on Silica's skin. And Vril with little Lyrl. Vril Dox with hand puppets.

This may be in bad taste, but was this before or after Lyrl went insane, because a Brainiac with hand puppets... think about it. It's still cute nonetheless. Good job, vv.
Posted By: Caliente Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/29/09 01:05 PM
VRIL!!!!!!!! laugh I LOVES IT SO HARD!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

love
Posted By: cleome57 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/29/09 03:46 PM
Errr...

shocked

Is nice drawing, yes. But I don't know who Silica is. v v, is she from a part of your comic that I haven't read yet?
Posted By: veryvery Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/29/09 04:07 PM
hahaha she's from rebels. well... in the omega men thing she had this design. now she's got that dreadlock thing going on which is also cool.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/29/09 04:13 PM
Ah. Thanks. I was never a huge Omega Men fan, so if she was there, I skipped out early and missed her.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 03/30/10 01:18 AM
Guys, listen, she's doing 20 dollar commissions. All info here.

http://joteivv.deviantart.com/journal/31129675/#comments
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/16/16 07:46 PM
bump

bump

Today's veryvery's birthday.

Even though it's been seven years since she last posted, I still miss her.

Any of you Legion Worlders friends with her on Facebook?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/16/16 11:18 PM
Yes, her art and writing have a unique slant that are consistently charming. I hope she's doing well these days.
It's so nice to see Japanese influences in her art!
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/17/16 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

Any of you Legion Worlders friends with her on Facebook?

Looks like she's friends with Ex, among others.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: vv's art thread - updated 4-29 - 04/18/16 07:51 AM
Thanks, EDE.
© Legion World