Legion World
Posted By: MLLASH Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 01/17/08 03:47 PM
TERRY LONG. 'Nuff said.
That she preferred Jack of the Flips over Joe of the Flips shows that this was a long standing problem.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 01/17/08 05:24 PM
The Mer-Boy, and that half-chicken dude. I mean, GROSS.
Originally posted by MLLASH:
The Mer-Boy, and that half-chicken dude. I mean, GROSS.
Technically, wasn't that Diana and not Donna?
Yeah, I think it was. Perhaps its an Amazon thing? I mean...honestly...you keep a girl in an island full of only other girls, and she's not going to be the best judge of males.

But I'd take a chicken or mer-boy over Terry Long anyday.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 01/21/08 11:57 PM
So the future Mrs Cobie spent time on Themyscira?
The future Mrs. Cobie is the new Wonder Woman. She's the third part of Donna's and Diana's soul that no one noticed had reflected off a mirror in the back of the room when the copy that became Donna was made. (Or whatever the hell the current "WHo is Donna Troy?" origin may have happened to be) She's left-handed right Cobie?
Hey! Mer-Boy rocks!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 12/11/14 04:17 AM
(stares blankly)
Can we assume that Lash is ambivalent towards mermen?
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 01/14/15 07:33 AM
Stupid creep!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 01/14/15 07:36 AM
Nobody can fault her for giving it up to this bad boy, though. The brightest spot on her man-landscape!

click to enlarge
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 03/21/15 11:50 PM
From an article with George Perez:-

"Dick admitted that he did once feel that way about [Donna Troy]. But the fact is that he was not enough of a man, and she was too much of a woman for him. He was never mature enough to take her,* which is what he admires about Terry Long...Dick's grown up a lot because of her relationship. He's learning a lot. He's seen the relationship between Terry and Donna. and obviously that's influenced his relationship with Kory."

So Terry was not only perfect for Donna, he was a guiding influence for Grayson. Grayson was the one the others looked to, so Long really was an inspiration to the whole cast. What a guy!

*"...to take her" torpedoes all that Titans sensitivity...
Saw Terry the other day trying to give some high school girls a lift home. Was driving a 1983 dodge cutlass supreme, smoking a joint and cranking Foghat.
Don't forget his unbuttoned shirt. And the gold rings on every finger.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 03/25/15 07:37 PM
He's my hero. What a guy!
I think the Lash doth protest to much, and jealousy is the root of all this. But is he jealous of terry, or Donna???
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 03/25/15 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Saw Terry the other day trying to give some high school girls a lift home. Was driving a 1983 dodge cutlass supreme, smoking a joint and cranking Foghat.

Superman is really bitter that there are no roads leading up to his fortress of solitude so he could drive one. No college girls either, but he gets Supergirl & Jimmy to pretend for him.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/23/15 05:26 AM
ALRIGHT, I admit Mer-Boy is cute. Total makeout material. And he rocks the shirtless look, and I guess him having no penis actually saves me a lot of trouble!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/23/15 05:30 AM
Chicken-creep here is totally out of luck though.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/23/15 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
I think the Lash doth protest to much, and jealousy is the root of all this. But is he jealous of terry, or Donna???

What's crazy is I have a well-documented ginger weakness but Terry just sucks!! He ruins gingers!! HE RUINS EVERYTHING!!
Wasn't Terry just Wolfman's self-insert ... his way of getting to date (and marry) Donna?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by MLLASH
[Linked Image]

Easy to see who wears the trousers in that relationship. Because they would be really uncomfortable on Mer-Boy, if you could get any to fit at all.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 04:03 PM
shrug

Maybe I never really noticed Terry was a big problem to have around, since Dick spent a lot of time being not-real-nice to his own girlfriend during the same period.

Then there was Gar going Senator Packwood on pretty much every female person he saw. Given that he looked all of 14 or 15 at the time, that's at least as retroactively creepy as anything Terry got up to with Donna. At least by that time Donna appeared to have been of legal age.

Time and perspective eventually ruins everything you once loved. shake
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 04:03 PM
Now that I think about it, wasn't Vic also kind of big jerk to women, too?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 04:13 PM
And did Raven really get the emotional support she needed from Wally West? I think not.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 04:17 PM
No kidding! Jeebus, People! Cut Terry some slack here! Look at the rest of the male role models in the Wolfman/Perez-verse.
Originally Posted by cleome49
shrug

Maybe I never really noticed Terry was a big problem to have around, since Dick spent a lot of time being not-real-nice to his own girlfriend during the same period.

Then there was Gar going Senator Packwood on pretty much every female person he saw. Given that he looked all of 14 or 15 at the time, that's at least as retroactively creepy as anything Terry got up to with Donna. At least by that time Donna appeared to have been of legal age.

Time and perspective eventually ruins everything you once loved. shake

Hmmm. This almost puts them behind Terry Long!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 04:43 PM
Steve Dayton's wife got killed on an island! Killed! What was he doing?!

^^Funnily enough, I've been re-reading the Silver Age Doom Patrol. It's good stuff, but, Jeez Louise, Steve Dayton was a twerp!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 05:10 PM
That's how I remember him too. Later on, he'd project his consciousness into the native of another planet. Braal or something, it was called.
LOL

Could be, could be.

And as much as I love Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, it always amuses me at the climax of "American Gothic" how Steve Dayton's beard comes and goes depending on who's doing the art.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 05:20 PM
Oh that's his "Grow Your Own Niles Caulder Disguise Kit." It takes awhile to grow, but you can take it on or off right from the start.
LOL

This discussion makes me think, we should really have an All-Doom Patrol thread either in this forum of Gym'll's. There's DP threads in Gy'mll's, but they're about the versions from the last 15 years.

I do believe I shall start one right now...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 05:28 PM
And there's always an Animal Vegetable Mineral Man quiz thread to do for Spaceopoly. smile
Originally Posted by cleome49
Now that I think about it, wasn't Vic also kind of big jerk to women, too?

His dad wasn't a very good role model either...

Then you have Jericho in Games, who had like 8 girlfriends simultaneously. And don't tell me he only saw them as friends! He left an answering machine message on each of their phones when the Titans were gathering their loved ones!
Originally Posted by thoth lad
And there's always an Animal Vegetable Mineral Man quiz thread to do for Spaceopoly. smile

Go for it, Thoth, go for it! nod
Posted By: Reboot Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by thoth lad
And did Raven really get the emotional support she needed from Wally West? I think not.

Well, there's the whole "she brainwashed him" thing to consider, there...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 05:41 PM
That's just a cover for his Blue Valley brain falling for the first daughter of a demon to flutter her eyelashes at him, on all four eyes.
Hmmm... and Frances Kane was accused of being possessed by a demon.

I am sensing a pattern here...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 06:04 PM
Imagine Wally's confused disappointment when she wasn't really possessed at all, but just had a horrid mother and magnetic powers. Now, Raven was the real deal... but how to reconcile his attraction with his conservative upbringing? Ah, the old "I've been brainwashed. Lots" trick.

What about that whiny Titan of Myth guy, Coeus, who basically went along with the other Titans rewriting Donna's memories and brainwashing her into subservience as the new goddess of the moon.

Which also pretty much doubles as raping her since she never consented until after they messed with her mind. And he's STILL portrayed as sympathetic.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/22/16 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
What about that whiny Titan of Myth guy, Coeus, who basically went along with the other Titans rewriting Donna's memories and brainwashing her into subservience as the new goddess of the moon.

Which also pretty much doubles as raping her since she never consented until after they messed with her mind. And he's STILL portrayed as sympathetic.

I got that creepy rape vibe when I recently read that storyline for the first time, as well....
I picked up on the vibes with Coeus after finding out about the New Teen Titans story where Hyperion was brainwashing Donna into loving him.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/23/16 05:56 PM
I don't think I've read the Coeus one, but I did remember the Hyperion one as being very creepy when I read that.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 05/23/16 08:09 PM
I thought Sarky referred to the Hyperion one as well, but I couldn't remember the name. If you're saying it happened a second time, that's pretty damn disturbing.
I had to revive this old thread to point out that her post-Terry rebound was Kyle Raynor, who admitted he had a poster of her in his bedroom when he was a teenager. Pretty gross adolescent groupie fantasy vibe from that one, as well.
BF, that's a LOL if I've ever seen one! lol

Donna the Cougar. Meeeee-OWW!

And I'll bet Kyle's favorite song around 5th or 6th grade was The Outfield's "Your Love," about the guy who likes his women "...a little bit older."
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
BF, that's a LOL if I've ever seen one! lol

Donna the Cougar. Meeeee-OWW!

And I'll bet Kyle's favorite song around 5th or 6th grade was The Outfield's "Your Love," about the guy who likes his women "...a little bit older."

Actually Donna and Kyle were the same age back in the post-crisis pre-nu52 dcu
Eh.

Continuity, shmontinuity.

Let's have more Donna the Cougar jokes instead.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 03/12/17 01:16 PM
A problem with Donna being a cougar is finding a DC partner for her that's not emotionally stunted. Finding a writer who isn't, is a related problem. smile
Thoth, LOL lol

How about Ronnie Raymond? He's always had crushes on older women (Power Girl, Wonder Woman...)

Oh, wait, that would turn Martin Stein into the ultimate Peeping Tom. eek Back to square one... sigh
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 03/12/17 09:29 PM
I reckon that it's Firestorm as an entity that characters find attractive. The body of a youthful athlete, but with an impulsiveness combined with mature intelligence. Stein is smart, but flawed in relationships. Raymond is a kid, but trying to do the right thing. It's together that they combine into something better. Somewhere that both men can work out their issues together. There was a subplot where Raymond was becoming smarter through his linking with Stein. Stein may have also been getting better at a number of things too. That would have been interesting to see continue.

What about Jimmy Olsen? He's gets involved in all sorts of extrovert mischief from often introverted beginnings. He thrives as a weirdness magnet. He'd forget about Lucy in a heartbeat if Donna came along.
I've been trying to think of a reply, but all I keep coming up with is that tasteless, witless scene in Morrison/Quitely's "JLA Earth 2" graphic novel involving Superwoman and Jimmy Olsen and the broom closet.

Sorry, Thoth, I guess it's cause I've been under a bit of stress. frown

Maybe I should do another Those 70s Titans vignette, that'd cheer me up, and hopefully entertain some people as well. smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 03/14/17 12:20 AM
It was going through my mind as I was typing. I forced it out, by thinking of Jimmy trying on the hats from his chest of hats lol Who isn't going to fall for that?
Even as awkward as the Star-Spangled Kid's macking on her on the Monitor's satellite was, he still would've been better than Terry Long!

Attached picture SSKWG.PNG
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Donna Troy's questionable taste in men - 10/19/18 08:58 PM
That was just after Star Spangled Kid (I tried SS-Kid to be lazy, but I'll not be doing that again. Right up there with A-SS for All-Star Squadron. What is wrong with these writers...) got the brush off from Jonni Thunder wasn't it? He looked a lot younger than her too in this one, but I think they had some sort of relationship in Infinity.

Notes on this scene:-

Star Spangled Kid was told about Donna by the JLA because... they are all total gossips.
By declaring her marriage here, Wolfman is sneakily getting himself into the story through his proxy character.
Wonder Girl would later to go into the Warp Zone to rescue Terry.
But with all time becoming as one, Terry had already picked up younger women from across history.
The resulting spin off book proposal, "Long's Legion of Lovelies" was vetoed by nearly everyone at the company.
In a cut scene, Perez tried to show the AM ask the heroes at the dawn of time to at least let him rid the multiverse of Terry Long, but Wolfman stopped it.
As the characters had to remember the old universe to give Crisis meaning, so Terry Long must survive or how else could Marv know about the event to write it?
Terry Long's trans-temporal pick up mobile survived the Crisis and is now a creepier version of the Cosmic Treadmill.
Terry Long's chest medallion, with its memories of the multiverse, would become the Medusa Medallion and launch Crisis 2.
Yeah, he literally turns around after making Jonni Thunder super-uncomfortable and then hits on Donna!
Star-spangled Kid and Terry for battle of the creeps!

I never really liked Terry, but finding out that he was an author insert for Marv Wolfman made it so much creepier!
© Legion World