Legion World
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 01:49 AM
Just so you know.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 01:51 AM
Good to know. I've missed you.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 01:52 AM
I've just been dealing with a lot of stuff and it's, it's felt weird ever since LOSH was cancelled.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 01:58 AM
We'll always have the classic Legion stories.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 01:59 AM
True.

But I'm not looking forward to December and Justice League 3000
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 02:04 AM
At least with Justice League 3000, Keith Giffen has shown once and for all what a mercenary bastard he is. Score one for the Giffen haters like me.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 02:52 AM
[waves]

I knew that! Because... I've actually spent several long, exhausting minutes this week checking out that Legion World Facebook contraption that all you youngsters seem to love these days.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 02:54 AM
Hi cleome! How've you been?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 02:54 AM
Facebook??

Et tu, Cleome? wink
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 02:58 AM
Sarky, I'm not dead! I'm getting better! I feel... HAPPY! tongue

What's going on with you, Doll?

FL, I just stopped by to look at the pretty pictures. I was not assimilated by The Collective, however.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 03:06 AM
Cleome, thanks for clarifying. I'm relieved.

Sarky, another thing about Justice League 3000 is that it'll give you something to unleash your devastating wit on.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 03:16 AM
School, work, therapy, the usual...
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 03:34 AM
Sarky, your presence on LW has been deeply missed!

And Fanfie, as a longtime Giffen fan and advocate... I find no argument possible to defend against your statement. Simply a regretful acquiescence.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 03:46 AM
Cobie, I appreciate your even-handedness, and, for what's it's worth, I've come to believe that all creators let us down eventually.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 11:26 PM
Okay, so, what's been happening to me since the last time I was on here.

In July I almost did something incredibly stupid when it seemed like everything became too much. Thankfully I couldn't even bring myself to break the skin.

I had a biopsy done and I don't have cancer.

I made the Spring 2013 Dean's List, the fourth consecutive time.

My brother transferred to Purchase College and it's been nearly a month since he moved up there. I've been living in the two top apartments by myself since. The only problems I have is the mouse, or rat, in the living room which I have seen with my own eyes, and what sounds to be squirrels inside the cubby hole next to my mom. Again.

This semester I have four classes, two History, one African Literature, and one Spanish language. I indeed only have four classes left after this and I can graduate in Spring 2014. My GPA is 3.476

I'm now working two days at the nursing home and I'll be earning money by working in the Lehman History department.

I'm volunteering with the Dare2Draw people again at NYCC this year.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/22/13 11:55 PM
In another 10-20 years those will be the stories of "survival" you'll entertain your kids with. I'm a believer that there's a little Carl Spackler in all of us that live and that those are the experiences that build our sense of humor.

Doesn't make the experiences any easier to deal with at the moment. Just saying.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/23/13 12:50 AM
Glad to have you stop in.

What are the history classes? I love history.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/23/13 12:55 AM
Sounds like an interesting course load ... and so quick to the finish line!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/23/13 01:23 AM
World Revolutions and Military History of the U.S..

I needed two classes to complete the Major requirements. One's research intensive and they're both writing intensive.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/23/13 04:03 AM
Glad you're back, Sarky! You add a lot around here. hug
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/24/13 05:06 PM
African Lit! That sounds fascinating, Sarky. Your life in general sounds quite fascinating now. Volunteering, a bunch of interesting classes, impending graduation...

Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
True.

But I'm not looking forward to December and Justice League 3000

I wish it were simple enough to just ignore it, but I can imagine what it would feel like to walk into a comic book shop and find THAT staring you in the face. Eeek! Oh, if only we could invent glasses to make us see everything else BUT that. (No offense intended to people who genuinely want to read the book! This is just for those of us who want absolutely nothing to do with it :p)

In July I almost did something incredibly stupid when it seemed like everything became too much. Thankfully I couldn't even bring myself to break the skin.

I almost missed this the first time I read your post. I, and I'm sure everyone else here, is VERY glad you didn't go through with this "stupid" thing. I really hope you're feeling better now, Sarky.

*eited to fix quote box*
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/25/13 03:49 AM
If other people want to read Justice League 3000, cool, whatever. I just loathe that the Legion, one of the few books that has had happily married couples and openly gay couples, is getting replaced with a Justice League cliche. If they were side by side I don't think I'd have much of an issue.

I'm feeling better than I was that day in July, but it's been up and down to certain degrees, although it hasn't reached the low point I was on that day.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/25/13 05:00 AM
World Revolutions and Military History of the U.S..

I needed two classes to complete the Major requirements. One's research intensive and they're both writing intensive.

That sounds... rockin', and quite out of my league. I recently brought home a library textbook (mostly for the fancy-pants artwork, I admit) but I always end up leafing through seven or eight pages before bed and then going into "shutdown" until the morning. [grumble]
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/25/13 07:16 AM
If other people want to read Justice League 3000, cool, whatever. I just loathe that the Legion, one of the few books that has had happily married couples and openly gay couples, is getting replaced with a Justice League cliche. If they were side by side I don't think I'd have much of an issue.

I'm feeling better than I was that day in July, but it's been up and down to certain degrees, although it hasn't reached the low point I was on that day.

Agree 100% why I already loathe JL3000.

If you ever do get anywhere near that low point, I hope you feel comfy enough to come back here or to shoot one of us a PM (here or on Facebook). I'm sure none of us would want you to ever get to a point that low again.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/02/14 07:12 AM
Hi guys.

Well, um, it's the last semester for me at Lehman, and now that I'm taking a math course for the first time in years I've been thinking about some stuff and I wrote a journal entry about it. I'd love some input.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/jo...-some-stuff-from-middle-school-431245206
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/02/14 10:29 AM
SK, I may have misremembered but some of the situations you wrote about seem familiar. I think you may have shared these before on LW?

I'm glad you're feeling comfortable enough to talk about these. I agree that your early experiences may contribute to your described fear of failure and the difficulty you have coping with it. For the longest time, I was afraid too. Like you, good grades were my sole achievement in life (or so I thought at that time). I remember avoiding playing pool or bowling with friends and losing my temper when losing at board games or video games because I felt so worthless for being good at nothing except academic pursuits.

And if your Catholic School was anything like mine... Not always the best environment for learning to cope with difficulty and mistakes.

I was able to finally talk to my folks about the feelings I had regarding school, the pressure to get good grades, and my lack of exposure to other activities. They've been very understanding about it and now I've gotten to do things I never thought I'd be able to - learn to cook, have a few articles published, and even things like travel solo and go skydiving. I don't know if your folks are that open-minded, but if they are it can be therapeutic. And as you mentioned, it may be that they just didn't realize how tough it was for you back then. I doubt they would have intentionally let you suffer like that.

I think in the end it would help to be able to embrace that not everything will come naturally to you (like math!) and that doing poorly at things (like math!) isn't an automatic sign you'll end up failing at life in general.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/02/14 08:59 PM
I have mentioned some of this stuff before, yes.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/03/14 07:31 AM
I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to write about it. I'm sure it helps to be able to do so.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/16/14 04:47 AM
Lately I started discussing with my therapist my writing and trying to find out why I care so much about obscure characters and get so angry when characters like the Titans or the Legionnaires get abused.

Does anyone else think that maybe if we saw and read characters actually being able to overcome trauma and abuse and working past it instead of descending into drug-fueled, wangst ridden melodrama or villainy and anti-heroism, we might be able to better discuss our own issues and emotions? So that way we wouldn't keep second guessing how we feel and wonder if we even have a right to talk about this stuff, and that it might be possible for us to get on with our lives?

Also, I'm starting to think the reason why I hate James Robinson and all those other writers is because I'm channeling anger at the adult figures in my life who never helped me or trivialized my feelings.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/16/14 11:03 AM
Hi guys.

Well, um, it's the last semester for me at Lehman, and now that I'm taking a math course for the first time in years I've been thinking about some stuff and I wrote a journal entry about it. I'd love some input.

http://judedeluca.deviantart.com/jo...-some-stuff-from-middle-school-431245206

Good luck with everything.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/16/14 02:30 PM

Does anyone else think that maybe if we saw and read characters actually being able to overcome trauma and abuse and working past it instead of descending into drug-fueled, wangst ridden melodrama or villainy and anti-heroism, we might be able to better discuss our own issues and emotions? So that way we wouldn't keep second guessing how we feel and wonder if we even have a right to talk about this stuff, and that it might be possible for us to get on with our lives?

Yes. I agree with every word. Very insightful.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/16/14 04:02 PM

In broad terms, has the aspirational aspect of mainstream DC comics been removed? While the focus was always very much on the action and the adventure, the main characters did have careers as part of their backgrounds, if only as a backdrop. They were far more grounded people. Journalists, test pilots, engineers, broadcasters, archaeologists all played as launching points for a huge number of stories.

While the characters seemed more grounded, they got to express all sorts of basic emotions through the situations they found themselves in. Clark's loneliness at having to put everything else ahead of Lois. Hal Jordan's duties kept him away from Carol. Barry would always be late and fail to impress Iris. Ray was only a superhero to impress his dream girl. While Ralph was always plagued with self doubts, the others all knew similar feelings.

The stories were the vehicles through which the characters overcame their feelings/issues to get towards a more optimistic future. While having similar themes repeat regularly is a lot to do with the comics target audience/sales/mandate of DC, it's a lesson that things couldn't be taken for granted and that relationships are worked for all the time. At least monthly if you only read one title, but constantly reinforced if you read a lot more smile

Loneliness, fear of not finding a partner, losing someone you love, losing family, not fitting in, not being able to do something or save something, being "different" and unsure of yourself are constants throughout those comics.

That it comes across so clearly is a lot to do with the creative quality of the writers. They had lived through tough times, and were in a "hack" industry. But the focus that this brings and the work ethic they had enabled them to draw from those experiences and it shows in the world presented to the reader. Fighting against the odds and overcoming adversity, whatever it may be or how hopeless and long it takes.

Seeing our heroes go through those issues again and again and coming through with their integrity, and sense of self intact, can only be something to draw strength from.

Parallel to this is the scope of the comics. There was certainly a brighter future in the older comics. From writers in a country that had got through the depression and a world war to a country that led into a future of exploration, idealism and rocket ships.

The science fiction aspects of the older comics, with their astronauts and science, pushed the concepts of what was possible and that reflected onto the characters. There was a sense of wonder, but one that was tinged with humour and whimsy and downright fun. The Legion is a prime example of this aspirational content of man reaching the stars. The JLA had a satellite HQ and Batman spent lots of time dealing with science fiction or often just fun science fantasy.

Right, that's quite a ramble. But there's a lot of complexity in the "simpler" age of comics that our current creators would do well to pay attention to.

Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/16/14 09:07 PM
Well said, Thothkins. There's no need for gore and sensationalism in order to establish complexity. If anything, gore and sensationalism more often result in a simplistic, pessimistic world view which reflects the worst kind of arrested adolescence.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/19/14 05:57 AM
I identify with the characters DC and Marvel $%^&(ed with because I see me when I was younger and went through everything alone.

And the original characters I do create, the ones who inevitably end up fixing everything because they get dragged into it and blatantly ignore the idiot authority figures (DCNU Superman, Green Arrow, Cyclops, Wolverine) those are me also.

It's basically just me trying to give myself the help I didn't get when I needed it.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/20/14 07:08 AM
Wow. I actually just remembered I was on the yearbook staff at Salesian High one year. It was either ninth or tenth grade, before they moved the library.

And I remember that whenever I made mistakes usually the instructor would yell at me and tell me to leave. Then when I'd send emails apologizing and admitting if he didn't want me back for good that was fine because I screwed up, but he'd always be calm.

Still, he used to get so angry it scared me.

I can't believe I forgot that.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/21/14 08:03 PM
Did this happen frequently?
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/22/14 02:38 AM
I don't remember if it was frequently or not, and I do mean mistakes and not little ones, but I do remember that it happened enough.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/22/14 03:26 AM
I'm talking about if like I edited pages I wasn't supposed to or changed the layouts on some pages and save it when I wasn't. I'm not excusing that I made mistakes, but it really scared me when he'd yell at me.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 03/12/14 04:02 AM
Guys, are my psychological issues too mixed in with my interest in comics for me to give any opinion on any book?

http://judedeluca.tumblr.com/post/79325649558/way-to-be-overly-dramatic-new-nightmare-talk-about
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 03/12/14 07:58 PM
Nope, I think that everyone brings along their baggage to a greater or lesser extent. Being objective from there is trickier, assuming objectivity plays a part in the discussion.

If someone were to show me a Young Avengers/Hostel crossover after Avengers Arena, I wouldn't have been surprised. Pointless exploitation (even by comics standards) is what I got from that first issue. Add in some more torture and you're about done.

Becoming attached to characters that are designed to be traumatised on a monthly basis is probably not a good thing.

You can always vote with your wallet or vote with your time, if you're reading them in the shop. You can make your views known and move on to creators who do care about their own creations, who do have fulfilling character arcs and who aren't scraping the bottom of a caped super-hero barrel.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/14 06:05 PM
Hey guys.

So, you know how I've been keeping in touch with Candle because she's been having trouble getting online?

I spoke to her last night and I learned her husband, Chuck, passed away on March 20th from complications with his pancreatic cancer.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/14 06:13 PM
Oh, that's horrible news. Please send Candle my condolences if you should correspond with her again. She was always a very sweet person to me.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/14 07:17 PM
Sarky, if you don't mind please pass on my condolences to Shady. I would very much appreciate it. We haven't seen her around for awhile, but she's very much loved here and I think I speak for many of us when I say we're sending our love and support.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/14 09:26 PM
Please pass along my condolences as well.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/14 10:42 PM
And my condolences, too.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/14 10:49 PM
Please pass on a big hug from me and let her know she is in my thoughts and prayers. She is a sweet lady and we miss her around here.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/14 11:10 PM
frown
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/05/14 02:22 AM
Please pass on my condolences, as well. I'm very sorry for her loss.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/05/14 06:16 AM
What they said. frown
Posted By: Jerry Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/05/14 03:33 PM
Add my condolences to the list. I'm so sorry to hear this.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/05/14 07:51 PM
Mine as well, please. I haven't spoken to her in a while but I hope she knows we're all here for her.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/06/14 04:02 AM
I left Candace a message on her answering machine. I'll see about calling her again tomorrow.

But I listed each of you by name because I wanted her to know exactly how many people have wished to lend condolences.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/06/14 04:07 AM
Thanks so much, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/06/14 04:11 AM
Believe me, I appreciate how many people have offered sympathy.

Kind of makes me feel better knowing Thursday evening was the first time I had spoken to Candace in a few weeks. You have no idea how horrible I felt learning Chuck had passed on the 20th and I, I hadn't spoken to her sooner.

From the times I spoke to Candace, she'd been dealing with Chuck's illness as best she could. He was receiving home care and there were at least a couple of nurses.

I'm thinking maybe I should get her a laptop so she doesn't have a hard time getting to her computer. It's difficult for her because of her foot.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/06/14 06:34 AM
Thank you for listing us all by name, Sarky. And thank you for reaching out to us and to Candace. I'm sure it means a lot to her as well.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/06/14 11:04 PM
I'm sad to hear this news, SK. Whenever you're in touch with her again, please let her know she's in my prayers. And thanks to you for staying in touch with her.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/08/14 06:05 AM
I've been getting comments from the facebook LW page as well after I posted there.

I tried calling Candace today to relate the other messages but I guess she wasn't in and, to be honest, I didn't feel like leaving another message listing more people. It, it just felt like it would lessen the meaning if I kept calling to say "Oh and they left his condolences" over and over again.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/11/14 02:00 AM
I think that's wise, SK. I hope you get to speak with her soon. Thanks for keeping us all updated.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/24/14 02:26 AM
I spoke to Candace on Sunday to wish her a happy Easter, and she said she was feeling sleepy but she otherwise sounded fine.

So, I think I'm a hypocrite.

I think I'm just as bad as those 40 year old white guy butthurt fans who complain about "feminazi authors" like Gail Simone or throw hissyfits if someone complains about the size of a girl's breasts or that a character being whitewashed "evens things out" when another character is turned into a POC.

They revealed Wally West in the DCnU today and he's either black or mixed, and I keep thinking, I don't want them to replace him with the original redheaded Wally, but I still want the redheaded Wally back. And I keep thinking of ways to justify it when all I can think about is that I'm such a hypocrite.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/05/14 08:41 AM
The issues that we have to deal with in life are usually more complex than firat glance might suggest.
Having multiple and even opposing thoughts and feelings on an issue doesn't make you a 'hypocrite', imo.
Shades of gray, so to speak.
Try to cut yourself some slack, kiddo.
hug

Thanks again for posting about Chuckie for me, SK.

And thank-you everyone who posted condolences.
Knowing that y'all care helped me alot, especially in the first month when I was so exhausted and raw inside.
Chuck's body adjusted so quickly to the liquid morphin that the doctors could get control of his pain.
It was very hard.
sigh

Thanks again and I hope to post here more in the future and maybe I'll evem tru facebook!
nod
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/05/14 09:53 AM
Sarky, what Candle said. There's nothing wrong with wanting the "original" Wally back while at the same time being OK with them changing his ethnicity or look.

Originally Posted by Candlelight

And thank-you everyone who posted condolences.
Knowing that y'all care helped me alot, especially in the first month when I was so exhausted and raw inside.
Chuck's body adjusted so quickly to the liquid morphin that the doctors could get control of his pain.
It was very hard.
sigh

Thanks again and I hope to post here more in the future and maybe I'll evem tru facebook!
nod

It's good to see you, Candle! We're definitely here for you, and if you need any more support just holler. Sarky's been very diligent in keeping us updated about you.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/11/14 02:33 AM
*Sigh* Thanks guys, thanks Candle, it's great to have you back on here. smile

Though it looks as if the bigger concern would be HOW DC is going to handle Wally's biracial status, because it seems like they're going for something out of a stereotypical white guilt Hallmark movie where the troubled inner city kid is taken under the wing of the upstanding well-employed white guy by the way they've fully introduced Wally as an angry kid from a broken home with missing parents who idolized his criminal uncle well after he became the Reverse Flash and Iris is stepping in and asking Barry to help him by being a role model. This WAS just the first issue and benefit of the doubt is due since I can't judge every other issue, but if the next few issues play out as if it IS a superhero Hallmark movie in the worst way possible...

Also, guys, Lash has been dealing with the fact that his grandfather passed away recently.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/11/14 02:36 AM
Thanks for telling us, Sarky. Please give Lash my condolences.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/11/14 04:11 AM
Of course.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/13/14 07:03 AM
I got my cap and gown today.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/14/14 03:53 AM
Congratulations, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/15/14 02:12 AM
If anyone is shopping for gifts for the occasion I'd prefer gift cards for fashion.

I wish I could make fashion my ringtone.

In all seriousness I don't actually graduate until September. I have that math class in June to complete everything but they're letting me walk on the 29th for the commencement ceremony.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/15/14 02:40 AM
congrats!!! congrats congrats!!!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/15/14 05:19 AM
Guys, I just wanted to say, through everything that's happened the past five years, even though I'm not here are frequently as I used to be, you guys have helped me get through some rough times.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/15/14 01:04 PM
Congrats on the upcoming grad, Sarky!

cheers

I'm glad you've been finding some good support here.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/15/14 10:27 PM
Congratulations Sarky!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/15/14 10:59 PM
Congratulations.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/17/14 06:10 AM
smile
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/23/14 02:05 AM
I am finally DONE with Spring 2014.

And guess what? I had my final math exam today and it was already graded and posted. I got an 82!

Which means my overall average will either be 81, or if the 65 exam I got is dropped, an 84.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/23/14 04:11 PM
Wonderful! You have conquered mathematics!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/24/14 02:47 AM
smile

You know, now that I think about it, those were just the exam and homework grades posted on blackboard. The overall final grades probably won't be put up until next week, so I might be able to get a B or B+ depending on whether or not class participation and attendance get added to my grade.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/29/14 02:08 AM
And now my commencement is tomorrow morning.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/29/14 03:28 AM
Congratulations, SK! Enjoy it!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/29/14 05:42 PM
ANNNNND that's it for commencement.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/05/14 08:48 AM
Congratulations again, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/05/14 07:26 PM
smile

Thanks again, you guys.
Posted By: Jerry Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/06/14 02:09 AM
Congratulations !!!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/06/14 06:31 AM
Now that commencement is done, don't forget to have a very nice celebration!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/06/14 07:13 AM
I went to TGIFriday's with my dad, brother, and grandpa after the commencement last week. My mom was going to come too, but after we left the school she asked to rest for a bit because she wasn't feeling well.

I'm thinking of doing something after September, when I'm REALLY a college graduate. Right now I finished the first week of my statistic's class. It ends on July 2nd. Thankfully, the class is only four days a week, Monday to Thursday in the evening.

Next week I'll be working more hours for more pay at the comic book store, and I switched back to every two weeks with my therapist.

Since next week is the Special Edition NY show in Manhattan, I'm going by myself the 14th and on the 15th I'm going with my dad for his birthday/Father's Day. Is anyone from Legion World going?

Also, because next month it will have been a full year since I made my suicide attempt, I've been thinking of doing something to just, well, really celebrate everything I have accomplished this last year. Last July, one of the few things I felt I had left to look forward after I tried to hurt myself, was a commission of Tempest as a big beautiful man from Ramona Fradon that I ordered and payed for. When I saw Miss Fradon at NYCC the following October I made sure to really thank her because of what that silly commission meant for me. I'd like to commission her again if I can.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/06/14 07:31 AM
I hope your mother feels better, SK. The dinner at TGIF sounds like a nice way to celebrate.

I'm glad your last term (is that the correct word?) looks like it will be fairly light. I only had four subjects, all "general" ones, (Literature, Basic Philosophy, two others I forget) in my last 3 months in college, and it was very relaxing and also gave me time to plan for the future.

Do you have anything in mind for September? When I graduated, I was so excited to be free I begged my folks to let me travel abroad. They (and their friends, and most of my relatives!) were surprised that I picked Cambodia and Vietnam over the glitzy shopping havens of Hong Kong and Singapore.

The Special Edition NY Show sounds fun. I'm too far away to go though tongue Maybe you can create a new thread for that to see if anyone's going?

I'm sure Miss Fradon appreciated your gratitude, SK. I think things like that commission help us appreciate life even more, so I definitely understand that it meant a lot for you. And I agree, it would be wonderful for you to celebrate everything you've done in the last 12 months.

Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/06/14 08:14 AM
Yeah she's fine.

It's my last term yeah. Or I guess semester or session. The spring semester ended a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm taking a summer session course for just this month.

I was thinking of maybe doing something with a few friends. I'd maybe wait for October during NYCC when a few of the people whom I don't normally unless they're at a convention are in town.

Wasn't there a thread for conventions on here? It's just, I have no idea how to work the new search engine and I'm not sure making a new thread would be a good idea.

I'm trying to think of what to get from Miss Fradon. I'm leaning towards a heavyset Threeboot Garth but I have a few other ideas.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/06/14 08:50 AM
Oh, your summer course is just for this month? Then that means you'll be completely finished in July, nice!

I found this thread for New York Comic Con. I don't know if this is the same con though.

I don't think there was a single thread for all conventions, there seem to be different threads for different locations.

To use the Search function, on the left side just pick the forum you want (in this case the Mission Monitor Board). On the right, just put the search term you want to use. For date range, you can modify if you want so you can get older threads.

Threeboot Garth had a great visual! I think he was easily one of the most physically attractive of the Threeboot Legionnaires.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/06/14 08:54 AM
I think I'll use that thread.

This was piece from last year: http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1039492&GSub=90046

I think I'd like to get something similar using Manapul's take on Garth for reference.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/06/14 10:10 AM
That's a nice piece! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/08/14 02:00 AM
Finally got my final grades in.

Three As and a Z in Math 104.

...apparently a Z means that the grade was put in, but my math professor says she gave me a B-. She may have to fix something or I most definitely have to talk to someone about this.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/08/14 03:35 AM
Yeah, maybe whoever is in charge of the grade system admin can help you out. Congrats on the three As and the B-!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/18/14 05:29 AM
Welp it got sorted out and the professor apologized for the inconvenience.

Also, I've seen Rhino recently and he's alright. He hasn't been online much because of some family stuff and he hasn't had the energy for facebook or LW.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/18/14 05:33 AM
Glad the prof sorted it out, SK! Now your records all clean and correct.

Thanks for updating us about Rhino. Glad he's doing okay. I hope the family stuff isn't serious.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/18/14 06:29 AM
It's kind of similar to the family stuff I was going through the last couple of years, and I don't mean my suicide attempt.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/03/14 08:56 PM
I got an 87 on my math final.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/03/14 10:03 PM
87 only buys a B-? For 87 and $10 I'd have given you an A-.

I can imagine the relief having all that sorted out. Congrats!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/03/14 11:32 PM
Oh no! I meant the 87 was my score on the final exam for my statistics course, the one I was taking in June. My last class.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/04/14 05:05 AM
That's quite high! Congratulations, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/04/14 06:50 AM
Now I just have to wait to get my diploma, but, that's it. I'm done.

I'm really done.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/04/14 03:14 PM
Congratulations, Sarky!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/08/14 09:06 AM
Guys you'll never believe this! My final letter grade for the statistics class was an A-. AN A MINUS!

My last college class and I got an A minus! In a math class!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/08/14 09:21 AM
cheers Awesome news, Sarky! You deserve a big celebration!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/08/14 07:21 PM
yes! math is hard but statistics is even more difficult. imo.

stat will always come in handy though.

party. band
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/13/14 07:29 AM
I might.

The truth is things are kind of uneven over here, but the last couple of days have been uneventful.

My therapist wants me to see her again next Tuesday, and the Tuesday after. She's worried I might be backtracking in my progress, and I actually agree with her.

I've been letting myself get sucked into my brother's moods. I guess I'm not really used to him being back home since I was so busy with school and work. I spent too much money on groceries last week even though I knew my brother wouldn't be able to pay me back half, and on Tuesday evening we had an incredibly nasty argument over things. I think we reached a compromise...

I realized I have yet to ground my expectations of my brother the way I had to with my parents, because I spent more time dealing with them this past year than him because he was at Purchase. How can I expect him to contribute monetary wise when he doesn't have a job, and when he does look for work he doesn't get it? The only money he has goes to medication, or food when he's in the city. Of course things would be easier if he didn't eat everything within two days.

And also, I shouldn't have spent so much on groceries because I realized I only bought so much because it felt like my dad was ashamed of me. He came by on that Thursday because my brother was having one of his moods and said there was nothing to eat, and my dad goes to me "You don't have any food upstairs?" I shouldn't have even been in the house when he came by. I should've recognized the way my brother was and left for a while. But in the end it was like I was putting on a show or something, like I was trying to appease my dad or something. I spoke to him about it yesterday and he said he hadn't meant to sound like that and was sorry if he made me feel that way.

I'm actually ashamed of myself for slipping, especially since this past Tuesday, when I had the argument with my brother over food and responsibilities around the house, was the year mark since my suicide attempt.

Our compromise was that, if he was going to be doing repairs around the house like painting or stuff outside, I'd do grocery shopping. If he could contribute, that's fine, but I'm not spending more than $20 or $30 dollars, and he can't eat everything within a day of my shopping.

Other than that, I have to see about when I'm getting my diploma. Also, I might have to speak to the transcript people at Lehman. I checked one of the websites that keeps track of the class requirements and apparently it's now saying one of my natural science requirements isn't fulfilled anymore. I worried a little this morning thinking they might have changed one of the requirements and I would have to take another class in Fall, but then I wondered if they may have changed the class codes. Something else else similar happened last Fall. I didn't get my financial aid on time because they changed SPA 101 to SPA 111 or something and they hadn't updated one of the websites. I looked and sure enough, the ANT 170 course I took two years ago has been converted to ANT 171 in the recent catalogs. I think I may have to talk to the people at Lehman if this will be a hitch or something.

I'm also still trying to decide about that Ramona Fradon commission. I'm going to contact her agent in a few days but I might have to settle for a cheaper piece than the one I originally wanted. I still feel a little peeved that most of my relatives didn't send me anything for graduation except for a great aunt in Florida and my grandpa. Candle actually sent me a great gift a little while ago, and I'm trying not to breeze through it on artwork. There's still the Boston show next month.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 08/26/14 07:57 AM
Hey guys.

So, lots of stuff have gone done since the last time I commented here.

I think I alienated an artist I like and now I'm trying to fix the situation without coming across like an obsessed stalker, and I kicked my brother out of my life.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 08/27/14 04:59 PM
Sorry to hearthat, Sarky. Hope things settle down for you soon.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 08/28/14 06:58 PM
you know, a little obsession can teach you how to really focus, and stalking gets you out in the healthy fresh air. But put them together? "Obsessed Stalker" and suddenly you're a bad person. smile

Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/17/14 12:47 AM
Has anyone heard from Candle?
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/17/14 05:11 AM
I haven't. I don't think she has posted here in a while.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/18/14 04:27 AM
Ah. I was checking on here because I tried calling her, but there was something wrong with her phone. I wanted to double check on here just in case something was wrong.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/22/14 11:10 AM
I hope you were able to reach her, Sarky. I'm sure she appreciates the concern.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/22/14 02:11 PM
I was, yeah.

Thursday I had a bad anxiety attack and when I tried calling Candace and couldn't get her, it kind of compounded how I was feeling.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/09/14 10:58 AM
I got my diploma from Lehman today. Apparently I graduated Cum Laude.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/09/14 01:07 PM
Congratulations, Sarky.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/09/14 02:34 PM
That's wonderful! Congrats Sarky cheers Graduating cum laude is certainly quite an achievement.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/25/14 06:23 PM
Hey guys, wish me luck on my birthday today.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/25/14 06:26 PM
Happy Birthday, Sarky, and best of luck!
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/26/14 12:25 AM
Christmas baby! Happy Birthday!
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/26/14 12:55 AM
Happy birthday, SK!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/26/14 01:20 AM
Happy birthday Sarky!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/26/14 03:15 AM
Thanks everybody.

And holy grife everyone, no arguing. My mom and brother weren't down each other's throats this year. It's a miracle.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/26/14 12:29 PM
Many happy belated returns Sarky! I hope you had a great day!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/01/15 04:35 AM
I did, actually.

Things That Sucked About 2014

* Everything about Ferguson and what's happened with the police.
* What happened to Leelah Alcorn
* Olympia and Jeremy Dale dying
* Me being down to one job
* Sailor Moon Crystal being such a huge disappointment
* Another year of Scott Lobdell at DC

Things That Were Great About 2014

* Passing math with an A-
* Graduating from Lehman cum laude
* Multiversity finally being released
* Sailor Moon getting rereleased with a new English dub
* Figuring out I'm an asexual
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/07/15 11:11 PM
Hey guys. I wanted to ask if you could keep Candle in your prayers. I just spoke to her last night and, um, she told me her brother's dying.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/07/15 11:32 PM
Oh how sad.

Of course.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/08/15 12:05 AM
I will keep her in my prayers. Thanks for always updating us on her, Sarky.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/08/15 02:19 AM
Yes, what Fanfie said. She and her family are in my thoughts.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/08/15 02:21 AM
I've never interacted with Candle before, but I'll definitely keep her family in my thoughts.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/08/15 04:18 AM
I've been missing Candle. Praying for her and her family.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/08/15 07:18 AM
Candle told me her brother, who is named Paul, injured his foot one day, and he'd bled out a large amount of blood by the time she found him. He, um, he at first asked her not to call 911, but she did. Apparently his injury got infected.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/08/15 10:19 PM
Thanks for the updates, Sarky. I'm sorry to hear about her brother.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/09/15 09:11 AM
I asked my dad to speak to the nuns at Providence Rest about saying a prayer for him. I didn't speak to her today but I left her a message.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 01/20/15 05:55 AM
http://judedeluca.tumblr.com/post/108616350392/i-am-so-sick-of-people-telling-me-you-want-to-a

Well here's my first little episode in a while.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/25/15 05:44 AM
Wow. I've realized it's been a year since my graduation ceremony, and I don't think I've accomplished anything worthwhile.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/25/15 08:09 AM
I waited 6 months after graduation to get a job. I spent a lot of time resting and traveling.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/14/15 05:02 AM
Guys I'm worried about Candle.

Because when we were talking she, um, she mentioned if she had spoken to me about Jesus yet, and then she mentioned how often she'd been sick and she started crying a little and I'm scared.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/14/15 08:53 AM
Please do keep us updated, Sarky, in case she passes on anything that she wants to share with the rest of us. Thanks.

I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/16/15 06:19 PM
I spoke to her today and asked about what she said on Saturday.

Candace said she'd been to the hospital a couple of times because of her foot. She's had an operation, and it seems as though the diagnosis looks good from here.

I shouldn't have gotten so emotional when we were speaking on Saturday. Then I could've actually asked if she was dying.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/23/15 08:58 PM
I'm turning 25 on Friday, and I really don't know how to feel about it.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/23/15 09:05 PM
I turned 25 35 years ago. I'd love to do it again! (But then, where I am now is really good too.)

I hope you'll find it delightful, Sarky!

Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/23/15 09:08 PM
I learned recently that age is kind of just a number. Blaze turned 30 this year and felt weird at first, but he's fine now. I turned 25 a few years ago and it was okay.

Happy birthday in advance, Sarky.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/24/15 06:01 AM

I don't think I bothered much. Of course, I never learned to count... smile

It just another day to be enjoyed, like all the others.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/24/15 09:25 AM

Wait until you turn 50! wink

Happy Birthday! Health & Happiness Always!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/25/15 12:31 AM
And now officially 25.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 12/25/15 01:01 AM
You should release an album about it.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/07/16 11:31 PM
http://newyork.endangeredbodies.org/put_in_ink_rape_in_comic_books

I am going to be writing for this blog about rape in comic books.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/10/16 10:31 PM
Wow
very intense

Thanks for being honest

Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/28/16 06:25 PM
How can things be so screwed up right now.

My mother's boyfriend's cancer has gotten worse to the point he most likely won't make it to August at the very least, and my dad's girlfriend just walked out on him.

I feel horrible.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/28/16 07:21 PM
Hang in there, Sarky. Life is hard but it's cyclical. Things will get better.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 02/28/16 09:12 PM
Yeah, but it's like, why does it all have to pile up? I'm tired of feeling like all the horrible crap I deal with happens at the same time, followed by nothing happening, then more crap.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/01/16 03:41 PM
My best friend is dead.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/01/16 04:46 PM
My condolences, Sarky.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/01/16 08:18 PM
Yes, my condolences.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/01/16 08:42 PM
So sorry to hear about that. Condolences
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/02/16 05:55 AM
Really sorry to hear that Sarky. My thoughts and sympathies to you and your friend's family and those close to them.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/03/16 01:00 AM
frown Hug anytime you need one, S.K.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/03/16 02:25 AM
Okay. Okay.

Her name was Patricia Thompson. To me she was Professor Thompson. She was the daughter of a famous Russian poet and she spent years working to have her relation to her father formally recognized because he wasn't married to her mom. She was one of my first teachers at Lehman, a class on Family Relationships. Her class gave me the space I needed to vent because of my family's complete idiocy after my parents split. I became friends with her right off the bat because I knew who the goddess Hestia was. She taught an Hestian/Hermean type system on the public/private domain. I attended her last class at Lehman on Women in Antiquity. She never stopped gushing about how much she loved my paper on Wonder Woman.

She considered me her adopted grandson. I considered her the first real friend I ever had that didn't involve an internet connection.

She was 89 years old, and I know people are all like "Well she was old, these things happen." But no. NO. She may have had some health issues but she was active and her mind was intact. She didn't have Alzheimer's or dementia and she didn't spend the last years of her life rotting away in a nursing home like my other two grandmothers did. Last weekend I learned she broke her hip, and I tried calling the hospital she was staying in and even tried to visit on Tuesday but it sounded like she wasn't in a mood to receive them. And then on Thursday I called her son, and he said her doctors believed it wasn't good and she had days at the most. He even told me she probably wouldn't have even known I was there if I did see her.

I left Friday morning. The nurse told me she died at 10:55 AM. That's around the same time I got on the god damn subway to come see her. Some April Fool's joke on me, right?! The moment I leave to see her she dies. And she was still in her room. Not, I mean, not in her bed. On one of those gurneys. With the morgue tag and everything. And, she had her eyes closed but her mouth was open and she looked like she was still in pain and I just, EVERYTHING. I HATE EVERYTHING.

DEV. LASH. PROFESSOR THOMPSON. THAT'S THREE. THREE IN SIX MONTHS WHO HAVE DIED.

She was writing a book about her relationship with her father! She still had a career even if she was a retired teacher! And a broken hip ends all that over the course of a week!
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/03/16 08:21 AM
Sorry for your loss, SK. This year has been incredibly rough.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/03/16 10:38 AM
That's a sad ending for a dynamic and brilliant woman. I'm sorry you didn't get to say goodbye to her, to speak to her one last time. 89 isn't that old today, especially for someone who was as mentally active as she seemed to be.

She no doubt enjoyed your company as much as you did her's.
Posted By: Harbinger Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/03/16 11:15 AM
Really sorry to hear of your loss SK, your friends sounds inspiring. Remember the good time and the solid frienship you shared and trynot to focus on the abrupt ending, that might help you get through this rough period. Big hug.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/03/16 10:20 PM
I wish I closed her mouth for her when I saw her. She didn't deserve to look like that.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/16 12:07 AM
She sounds like an amazing woman. I am sorry for your loss. Indeed, the world is worse off for her passing.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/16 09:39 AM
For years she saved any newspaper and magazine articles she could find on comics to give to me, saying I could use them for my thesis on comic books if I went to grad school.

She told me she never realized comics were so important to mainstream culture, and always joked about how she threw away her son's comics when he was young and he never forgave her.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/04/16 10:29 AM
My condolences on your loss SK. I hope soon you will just have your good memories of Prof. Thompson.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/08/16 12:36 AM
For the next few weeks I, I will not be buying or reading anything new from DC or Marvel Comics. Vertigo's okay though.

I just, I don't have the strength to pretend I don't hate, well, pretty much every writer both companies have in my mindset right now.

Because the idea that my friend died before she could finish her last book, while all those completely two-faced, hypocritical men and women keep pumping out whatever their editors tell them to write just, just makes me want to, I can't even say it.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/12/16 07:07 PM
Guys I think I need to stay away from LW for a while.

I feel miserable all the time and all I'm doing on here is complaining.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/16/16 11:02 PM
Take all the time you need, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/17/16 09:22 PM
Well things somehow managed to get worse because guess who's sibling is locked inside their college library because someone's on campus with a gun?

Can someone tell me when April decided to start doing crack? Because that's what it feels like at this point.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/17/16 10:06 PM
Oh no. This is ongoing, Sarky? I hope your sibling gets out safe and the police resolve this without any bloodshed.

Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/17/16 10:24 PM
My sibling texted me, said everything was fine.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/17/16 10:41 PM
I am very glad to hear that, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/17/16 10:47 PM
I... this is one of those "I wished you were dead" situations.

Tuesday night and Wednesday were the, the absolute worst I've felt throughout this whole thing, and that night I wrote something on tumblr along those lines regarding my sibling and parents.

I feel like this is punishment for writing that.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/17/16 11:02 PM
Sarky, you could choose to believe that fate works that way and think this is the universe's way of showing you how to appreciate your sibling - as your sibling came out of the ordeal safe.

but you could also choose to believe in coincidence. this was a coincidence, but it also happened to teach you how to appreciate your sibling.

Either way, the important thing is what you have learned form this and how you will act from now on.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/11/16 07:01 PM
Hi guys.

I'm feeling much more better than I was last month. There were some other issues concerning Prof. Thompson that came up, but I feel I'm in a better place.

I got a second job and my sibling's graduating on Friday.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/11/16 08:23 PM
Sounds like things are looking up! That's awesome, Sarc! smile
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/12/16 06:08 AM
Glad to learn that, Sarky.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 05/12/16 12:29 PM
Great to hear you're feeling better Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/15/16 11:01 PM
Hey everyone.

I heard back from Candle last week and she's doing okay.

I'm alright myself, keeping busy with my work.

Today would've been Prof. Thompson's 90th birthday.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/16/16 01:52 AM
Glad that you're doing all right, Sarky.

And thanks a lot for the update on Candle.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/16/16 03:08 AM
Same, glad you and Candle are both doing okay. thanks for the updates.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/21/16 11:03 PM
http://judedeluca.tumblr.com/post/146289874772/my-identity-as-a-sex-repulsed-asexual

Wrote a little something about my sexual identity if anyone's interested. It's not explicit or anything.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/24/16 10:13 PM
Ugh. I feel terrible.

I don't know now if I identify as demisexual or asexual and I'm not sure what resources to look for on it.

And last night I learned one of the boys who sexually harassed me in high school is now a gold medalist US fencer and he even has his own wikipedia page, and I'm over here looking at it feeling I've done absolutely nothing meaningful with my life if trash like him could be so successful in 8 years.

I feel confused and angry.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/25/16 09:39 PM
I'm sorry, Sarky.

I hate it when people who did terrible things go on to success and happy lives. Maybe they have changed, maybe they have not. But life is confusing and unfair.

I hope you feel a bit better now.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/26/16 06:48 PM
I had a session with my therapist, so yeah, I'm feeling better.

I decided to stop labeling my sexual orientation. I feel like I'm changing so often putting labels on it again and again, alongside trying to determine what said label should be, is too frustrating.

I don't want to belong to whatever sexual spectrum there is. It's too much stress.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 06/26/16 07:42 PM
Yeah, that sounds good. Just go with the flow.

Glad you are feeling better.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/20/16 12:02 AM
Oh guys I'm so sorry I forgot to mention this.

Candle got your messages last month.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 07/20/16 11:25 PM
Great! Happy that she knows we are thinking of her. Thanks Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 08/06/16 07:10 PM
My mother called me and said she was blasting the guy who sexually harassed me in high school online.

He found out.

He told her he's sorry for bullying me but doesn't remember sexually abusing me. He's willing to meet me and talk about it.

She did this behind my back but called to tell me what she did.

I hate her so much right now.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 08/06/16 09:48 PM
It must be bringing up a lot of emotions now, Sarky.

Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 08/06/16 11:32 PM
It's going to be a while before I'm willing to speak to her.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/13/16 11:52 PM
A: I settled things with my mom and there's no more tension between us over what happened

B: I successfully finished my first editing job.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/14/16 12:08 AM
Wonderful news, Sarky!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/14/16 02:33 AM
Yay!

Glad to hear that, Sarky!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/14/16 12:42 PM
Two pieces of great news Sarky! Particularly A)
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 09/20/16 04:02 PM
http://newyork.endangeredbodies.org/put_in_ink_batman_the_ultimate_evil

My newest article for Endangered Bodies is up. I discuss "Batman: The Ultimate Evil" and its analysis on the effects of abuse and rape.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/03/16 10:07 PM
My mother's boyfriend has been given a week to live due to his cancer.

If he lives through tomorrow that alone will be cause for celebration for me considering I was told Prof. Thompson had a week and then she died the next day.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/04/16 03:15 AM
That's a very rough situation. People surprise us sometimes with how long they hang on to life. It's a good thing you're there for your mother. She'll need some support through this.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/04/16 04:03 AM
I'm so sorry, Sarky.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/04/16 01:36 PM
So sorry to hear that Sarky. My thoughts are with you and your family through this difficult time.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/04/16 05:09 PM
He's reached the point (so I'm told) that he doesn't know what's going on and has to be changed and cleaned.

I can't be there for my mother right now, and for the first time ever I'm not particularly looking forward to New York Comic Con. Well it's this and I'm worried I'll spend too much money.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/04/16 06:25 PM
Sarky, you and your mother are in my thoughts and prayers. And please be assured that you are not alone in what you're going through. My best friend lost her father just 3 weeks ago, after he'd spent many years in a similar state to what you've described. She's handling it well enough on a day-by-day basis, but her brother, who was closer to their father in more than one sense, is devastated, and we're both worried about him. Gods help each and every one of you and them.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/06/16 08:46 PM
He's dead.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/07/16 04:41 AM
My condolences, Sarky.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/07/16 06:30 AM
I echo FC's condolences, Sarky.

You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/07/16 06:45 AM
I am so sorry, Sarky.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/07/16 07:21 AM
So sorry to here this news. My family's thoughts are with you.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 10/10/16 09:43 PM
I got back from the funeral an hour ago.

Thank you for the support everyone.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 11/10/16 12:51 AM
Guys, if there's anyone who lives in the New York, Manhattan or Bronx area, my comic book store is doing a signing for the new Black Panther comic this saturday. We're gonna have the artist Alitha Martinez doing signings from 2:30 to 4.

http://www.conventionscene.com/2016/11/07/ny-world-wakanda-1-signing/

If anyone wants to stop in it can give us a chance to meet face to face. I'll be the white guy with the shaggy brown hair.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 11/22/16 06:08 PM
I just found out my dad voted for Trump.

Qhris has finally decided our dad is dead to him, and honestly I feel the same way.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 11/26/16 12:07 PM
I also still have difficulty understanding why some of my relatives voted for candidates whose values cannot be further from mine. I can only imagine what you are going through. I'm sorry, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/17/17 09:00 PM
http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.ca/2017/04/the-legion-my-way.

My first official post for Legion of Super-Bloggers is up, and it's all about how I would handle the Legion as a writer.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Sarcasm Kid Is Still Alive - 04/21/17 11:31 AM
The link leads me to a non existent page, Sarky.

But congratulations on being a blogger!
© Legion World