Legion World
I like older men, and Blaze likes younger men. Perfect, even though we are only two years apart.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 04:53 PM
My best friend tried dating a younger man, and it didn't work out.

She's been with her current boyfriend, who is 11 years older than her, since 2006.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 05:06 PM
I have a friend who's into cougars.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 05:08 PM
I liked Catwoman better with long hair.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 05:15 PM
I liked Catwoman's 90's costume more than her modern one.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 05:41 PM
Same here.

I also have a strange sentimental spot for Power Girl's custard-yellow costume, since she was wearing it when I first got into the DCU.
Posted By: matlock Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 06:19 PM
I fussed at two random guys yesterday for dawdling at a large table in a restaurant full of people waiting to be seated. It just seemed so rude, and I had a week full of minor but mounting frustrations so I was bound to do something like that. My coworkers were both aghast and a little impressed.
Our dog is a terror towards the cats in the neighborhood. But the first time he encountered a rabbit, he was at a complete loss. The bunny ended up chasing him away.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 07:11 PM
Sorry that you had so many irritants this week, matlock. And I think you were right to complain to those two guys, it was rude of them.

Ibby, your story about your dog and the bunny makes me think of the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. lol
Posted By: matlock Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 11:21 PM
My brother-in-law is selling an old Firebird to a movie production. They're going to paint it blue then crash it during the filming of some Ryan Gosling/Russell Crowe movie.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/14 11:37 PM
Tracks is my favorite of the heroic Transformers.

Starscream is my favorite of the villainous Transformers.
I have never watched Monty Python, but have heard so many good things about it. I should look into it one of these days, thanks for reminding me Fanfie!

I agree re the guys in the restaurant. Hope your weekend is turning out better, matlock.
Superman is so incredibly powerful, that he has to be, of necessity, completely morally good. If he is even a tiniest bit evil, the character becomes terrifying. SMBC
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/05/14 02:54 PM
Agreed, Klar.

I still think that Underworld Unleashed should have had Superman's soul as the incorruptible one which destroyed Neron, instead of Captain Marvel's soul.
Superman has such a main-stream exposure, I guess it's easier for me to see him as "corruptible" because he has been. The character is terrifying. He recognizes it by giving Batman the means to defeat him.

Since I don't know CM so much other than a few comics where he's always been the pure hearted one, it's easier for me to see that choice.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/05/14 08:07 PM
Bunnies.
Narwhales.
Turnips.
^ Sunday dinner at the rickshaw house. wink
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
*shudders as he pulls the sheets up over his head and contemplates how the world would be so much scarier if super beings existed*
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/06/14 01:40 AM
*reassures herself that humans are evolving into something beautiful and transcendent, no matter how much of a negative spin lazy writers put on it*
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/06/14 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker
^ Sunday dinner at the rickshaw house. wink

BWaaahhahahah. You would be most welcome.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/06/14 02:21 AM
[Linked Image]

I once saw an old issue where Supes' heat vision was actually a by product of his xray vision. And then I got to thinking...

"I wonder how many people Supes has given cancer by using his concentrated xray vision on them?"
Reminds me of the story where Black Canary accidentally deafened a bystander with her canary cry.

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
*reassures herself that humans are evolving into something beautiful and transcendent, no matter how much of a negative spin lazy writers put on it*

And this post gives me much comfort!
Atoms emit a wide spectrum of radiation. There's nothing unreasonable saying his eyes are sensitive to invisible frequencies, be they x band or others. No cancer risk.

It's even possible his "x-ray" vision works like radar and he emits low levels and perceives the return. That wouldn't be a cancer risk either.

If he could emit in the cancer producing frequecies as intensely as his heat vision, he most certainly could be a cancer risk like any nuke.

Originally Posted by rickshaw1
[Linked Image]

I once saw an old issue where Supes' heat vision was actually a by product of his xray vision. And then I got to thinking...

"I wonder how many people Supes has given cancer by using his concentrated xray vision on them?"
I had too much chocolate yesterday.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/06/14 07:34 PM
... and Superman saw you smile
I was bored one day and mass texted "I can see you" to some friends. I got a bunch of replies going "oh I didn't see you!"

I was. Really bored that day
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/09/14 12:27 AM
I'd be more disappointed that they didn't freak out...or did you tell them who was watching? wink
They knew it was me smile

Some of the more memorable reactions...

"I didn't know you were at the beach too!"

"Why didn't you say HI!?"

"But I just got out of the bathroom!"

And one guy even called me up asking exactly what I had seen, and in a very guilty tone too wink
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

And one guy even called me up asking exactly what I had seen, and in a very guilty tone too wink

Yeah, you gotta be careful with that. You could be swimming with the fishes.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/09/14 03:57 AM
The scene in Monty Python and the Meaning of Life where three eccentrics talk about fish while being filmed through a fish-eye lens is memorable.
I had two kinds of fish for lunch today.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/09/14 06:56 AM
It's 2 A.M and I still haven't finished my essay on Soviet language policies. frown
Posted By: .. Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/09/14 08:57 AM
I'm working a nightshift on overtime (again) watching squiggly lines is fun (not)
I'm going home relatively early today yay!
My cat is a cry-baby. At times it feels like she is constantly crying.
Do NOT remove a flag or flowers from a grave in Massachusetts. You are looking at a fine of no more than $1,000.00 or up to 6 months in prison.
Yikes. Thanks for the warning, Quis.

If you own a car in the capital region of the Philippines, you have to memorize

a) the last digit of your plate number, as it means you will be fined if you take your car out on a certain day of the week

b) the boundaries of each city in the capital region, plus the exceptions for the rules. Some cities don't apply this rule at all. Some cities who do, have "window hours" where the rule does not apply. And some cities don't have window hours at all but apply the rule strictly from 7am to 7pm.

and yes, it's as frustrating as it sounds.

Food in Myanmar is an exciting mix of Chinese, Indian and Thai influences.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/24/14 01:12 AM
Food in Myanmar sounds delicious.
The beer is not bad either.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/24/14 01:22 AM
I wouldn't know anything about drinking... wink
Blaze and I should take you out some time!

Although, Blaze can't hold as much liquor as he used to.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/24/14 01:28 AM
Heh, give me two more years. wink
I didn't start seriously drinking until my last year in college smile Although, I did have a couple of beers in freshman year once. And, despite it being against the rules, I went back to campus to attend an organization meeting.

Everyone just thought I had a fever smile
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/24/14 01:56 AM
Shame on you, Ibby! *tsk tsk* wink
Hey, I was just getting to know the other freshmen wink
For some reason, we referred to the "Peanuts" character Peppermint Patty as "Peppermint Patty Pancakes" when I was little.
I watched the cartoon movie "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown!" I thoroughly enjoyed it. The featured characters were Snoopy, Woodstock, Charlie Brown (of course), Linus, Sally, Lucy, Schroeder, Peppermint Patty, Marcie and Franklin.

It wasn't until I had read the comic strips that I began to loathe Lucy.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/30/14 07:45 PM
I watched the cartoon movie "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown!"

Is that the one where he's chased by zombies? If it's not already out there, I'm sure it's a matter of time.
No, no, that one was "Sacrifice Your Friends to Live, Charlie Brown!"
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/14 12:05 AM
Was that the sequel to "Don't summon the Dark Gods, Charlie Brown"?
Yes, which came right after "Snoopy's a Were-Dog, Charlie Brown!"
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/14 12:28 AM
Well, if Snoopy was a man who periodically turns into a dog, it would explain a lot of Snoopy's more improbable abilities.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/14 12:30 AM
Okay, but you're going to have to explain Super-Horse to me again...
Which part, the one about his creepy relationship with Supergirl?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/14 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by thothkins
Okay, but you're going to have to explain Super-Horse to me again...

LOL rotflmao

Pre-Crisis Comet or Post-Crisis Comet? wink
Which one is weirder?
This is a random post.
Among the African countries, Angola is interesting in that it's quite large yet still has no UNESCO World Heritage site.

Somalia is in a similar boat, but it's understandable as the country has not had a functioning central government in years.

Chad, another large and war-torn country, just got its first site in 2012.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/14 10:24 PM
Which one is weirder?

Post-Crisis Comet, for sure. Even I, a major Peter David fan, have yet to manage to wrap my head around it.
At least he was never Super-Unicorn. wink
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/01/14 12:08 AM
I think they should work the Unicorn into a future Iron Man movie. I consider him an underrated villain, and besides, he can't possibly look any sillier than Mickey Rourke as Whiplash.
Which one is weirder?

Post-Crisis Comet, for sure. Even I, a major Peter David fan, have yet to manage to wrap my head around it.

Thanks, Fanfie. I just read the Wikipedia articles about Comet and Blithe, and now I need my morning coffee more than ever.
I would rather drink tea than coffee, but it's hard to get decent hot tea in a restaurant in Texas unless it's an Asian or British-themed establishment.
Mmm, tea. Japanese green tea is the best.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/01/14 05:21 PM
I drank tea instead of coffee for quite a while, but I eventually found the tea wasn't giving me the jolt I needed, so I went back to coffee.

I still have tea at least once a week, usually on a weekend morning.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/01/14 07:16 PM
I'll take coffee when I'm out, as the tea can be hit or miss sometimes. At home, I'll switch between the two.

Tea with weekend breakfast is a must though.

The Lion & the Unicorn are big heraldic symbols in the United Kingdom. They also appear in through the looking glass.

They have also appeared in comics. A later version of them appeared, as did versions of nearly all UK characters, in Zenith. They incinerated heroes from a safe distance before making a tactical withdrawal.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/01/14 08:09 PM
The Lion & the Unicorn are big heraldic symbols in the United Kingdom.

I knew about the Lion, but not the Unicorn.

I learned something new today. Thanks, Thoth.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/01/14 09:59 PM
It's a fair* cultural exchange** as you gave us Olga***.

*31st century LW descendants would question thothkins concept of fairness, as they sat in medical waiting rooms to check their bleeding ears.

**31sr century cross referencers would cite thothkins happy attempt to exchange the occupied houses of parliament for a bean, claiming they had similar value.

*** The late 1980s house track "Jack Your Beanstalk" referenced the events of **. It was banned by the BBC as being offensive****.

**** It is rumoured that this example of suppression is being covered in a forthcoming album by well known social activist Olga.

Which one is weirder?

What if Comet had been a tikbalang?

"Tikbalang (also written as Tigbalang, Tigbalan, or Tikbalan) is a creature of Philippine folklore said to lurk in the mountains and forests of the Philippines. It is generally described as a tall, bony humanoid creature with disproportionately long limbs, to the point that its knees reach above its head when it squats down.[1] It has the head and feet of an animal, most commonly a horse. It is sometimes believed to be a transformation of an aborted fetus which has been sent to earth from limbo."
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/01/14 11:50 PM
It's a fair* cultural exchange** as you gave us Olga***.

*31st century LW descendants would question thothkins concept of fairness, as they sat in medical waiting rooms to check their bleeding ears.

**31sr century cross referencers would cite thothkins happy attempt to exchange the occupied houses of parliament for a bean, claiming they had similar value.

*** The late 1980s house track "Jack Your Beanstalk" referenced the events of **. It was banned by the BBC as being offensive****.

**** It is rumoured that this example of suppression is being covered in a forthcoming album by well known social activist Olga.

LOL rotflmao
The female singer in the psychedelic "Jazzy Spies" number cartoons on Sesame Street is Grace Slick.
Pumpkin is quite expensive here. I have tried a handful of recipes using pumpkin, but have used squash as a substitute.
Posted By: matlock Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/20/14 04:08 AM
I heard "Lay Down Sally" by Eric Clapton on three different stations today. What does it mean?
It means that Sally should lay down.
Charlie Brown's sister Sally once had to wear an eyepatch.
Paul McCartney once had a country-inspired hit called "Sally G."

In the Wheel of Time, Sallie Daera was a code word used to inform the rebel Aes Sedai of the rebellion's new location: Salidar, the birthplace of the legendary Amyrlin Deane Aryman. Deane was raised from the Blue Ajah, the proponents of the rebellion.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/21/14 01:18 AM
I've heard that "Marcella Detroit" (real name Marcy Levy) took credit for the female vocals on Lay Down Sally, but it was another woman who sang them.
Timor-Leste and Papua New Guinea are both looking to join the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), currently comprising Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
Posted By: matlock Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/22/14 11:24 PM
I've put on some weight the last few years and I realized the other day that my old replica Legion Flight Ring fits now. My wedding band, however, is in danger of cutting off the circulation to my ring finger.
Oh I bought a Legion Flight Ring too! Blaze kept laughing at me. At first he thought it was a Green Lantern ring. Then I told him quite caustically that a) it's not green, b) it has a big L, and c) if he would actually log into Legion World more or finish reading the comics I lent him he would know that it is a Legion flight ring!
When I was a kid, I didn't like the song "This Land is Your Land" because we lived in Massachusetts which is not in the area "from California to the New York Island".
My personal record for naming all the countries in the world is about 5 1/2 minutes
My personal record for naming all the countries in the world is about 5 1/2 minutes

This thread really isn't supposed to have replies in it (it's not random if it does), but mine is 12 minutes, 46 seconds. I almost always forget something in Africa or Oceania.
Challenge sent!
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad

This thread really isn't supposed to have replies in it (it's not random if it does), but mine is 12 minutes, 46 seconds. I almost always forget something in Africa or Oceania.

Now I am at 4 minutes 10 seconds!
I recently found my old college roommate on Facebook. Most of his posts are political and are very much at odds with my positions on most issues. Although I have many FB friends with whom I disagree politically, most of them post about other things as well. I could see it wouldn't be productive, so I decided not to friend him.
I took Blaze out to lunch for his birthday.
For Thoth, IL, and others who've only recently joined: I'm Fanfic Lady's alt-ID. Due to the avatar problems she's having, I'll be substituting for her.
I am seriously considering my career options at work. I feel like I am falling behind everyone else.
Posted By: Set Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/26/14 01:27 PM
Holiday season at the post office is over!

Here's to all the sad people who were sent delicate little bottles of Vermont maple syrup from their New Englander relations, only to receive boxes and bags full of sticky-sweet broken glass, wrapped in plastic, with an apology from the postal service, because all the damn syrup is all over the machines and floor at the plant where I work, and I've spent umpteen hours cleaning the stuff up.

I went home one night and discovered that I had syrup in my hair. Thank goodness Christmas only comes once a year!

Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/26/14 01:50 PM
That's a sweet story...but not in a good way.
I am ethnically Chinese, but during my travels in Southeast Asia I have more often been mistaken as Japanese.
I was the fourteenth Legion Worlder to make Time Trapper, but the tenth to make Double Time Trapper.
I spent New Year thinking about my career prospects and my future with Blaze.
When we were watching Super Friends when were kids, my sister asked me why Hawkgirl didn't call Hawkman "Daddy". I guess she thought he was supposed to his daughter since she was "girl" instead of "woman". I explained that they were husband and wife.
I also wondered that as a kid. Why shouldn't Hawkgirl be Hawkwoman?
Posted By: Set Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/10/15 04:59 PM
The Adventures of Hawkdaddy and Hawkdaughter!

Anywho, just picked up some blueberry / pomegranate (with other natural flavors!) juice at the store, 'cause I like both blueberry and pomegranate.

Eyuch. The 'other natural flavor' is ass.

Although the main character has powers similar to Rockhopper Lad's, I have yet to see Frozen.
My fingers hurt because I am trying to get some floss out from between my teeth.
Today is the 96th anniversary of the Boston Molasses Flood.

Molases Flood pictures

Our recently returned poster Kinetix has made this wonderful, wonderful website showing all of Kinetix's costumes!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/25/15 04:04 AM
The last time I looked at the Gym'll's forum, my Mutant of the Month thread had 7 posts and 17 views, while the Titan Du Jour thread had its last post at 7:17.

Weird.
I want to take a nap.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/02/15 09:04 PM
In other random news:

Sometimes Danny Can Be a D!ck

[Linked Image]
Slept refreshingly early last night - 8pm!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/02/15 09:18 PM
Slept late again last night - 3 AM tongue
Slept 10 hours total, but my head hurts! tongue
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 12:55 AM
That's the infamous "too much sleep" hangover. I got it once when I slept 15 hours one day back in high school. laugh
15 hours a day! Wow! I think my max was 12.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 04:57 AM
It was an anomaly for me. I usually sleep 10 hours at the most on the weekends.
LOL our conversation isn't really random anymore, but I am now trying to go home early and sleep enough on weekdays so I can get out and do more on weekends. Especially because Blaze and I only see each other on weekends...

So, a few of the girls in the office are flirting with me. Little do they know...

Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 03:52 PM
I have only recently watched Superman: The Movie. I'm watching Superman II tonight.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 05:18 PM
o m g. it's amazing. its the best one. (have you seen it?)
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 05:20 PM
This will be the first time I've watched it. smile
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 05:22 PM
ok, this just confirms it .. Nostalgia Lad is an alien ... and not even from one of the closer planets.

tease
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 05:25 PM
My mission has been compromised. You must now be assimilated.

[Linked Image]
My head hurts and I can't think, but the coffee is keeping me awake.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 05:37 PM
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Power Boy Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Nostalgia Lad
My mission has been compromised. You must now be assimilated.

[Linked Image]

There was some damn good acting in this crazy sic fi horror film IIRC.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/03/15 05:40 PM
Yeah, the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake is great and is even better than the original in some regards. smile
It is National Pancake Day. free pancakes at IHOP (although they do ask for a donation to a charity)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/03/03/free-pancakes-ihop-national-pancake-day/24302807/
Japan sure has a lot of different kinds of ramen.
I had ramen for dinner tonight.
Ghana, Botswana, Cabo Verde, Mauritius and Seychelles are among the most stable African countries.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/05/15 11:54 PM
I came home and the flat reeked of garbage. so i took out the garbage and aired the place out.

I hope it was the garbage.

and not like a random dead person under my bed.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/06/15 12:02 AM
Particularly as you left the random dead person in the freezer.
My Europe wishlist includes Iceland, Italy, Czech Republic, Malta, France, Turkey and Greece.
It annoys me when Garrison Keillor goes on his tirade about how "The Star-Spangled Banner" should be sung in the key of G or even A. I can't hit those low notes.
I had some bacon today. Yum!
It annoys me when Garrison Keillor goes on his tirade about how "The Star-Spangled Banner" should be sung in the key of G or even A. I can't hit those low notes.

Only 0.0001% of Americans can comfortably sing The Star-Spangled Banner, no matter what key it's in.
My African travel wishlist: Egypt, Morocco, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Tanzania, South Africa, Zambia, Namibia, Benin, Botswana, Tunisia, Mali, Ghana, Senegal, Mauritius, Seychelles.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/11/15 05:19 AM
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker

Only 0.0001% of Americans can comfortably sing The Star-Spangled Banner, no matter what key it's in.

Nobody can ever surpass Lt. Frank Drebbin's take, though.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/11/15 05:20 AM
It's been dry as a bone here for well over a month. As the person whose job it is to keep the plants watered every summer, I'm getting pretty damn nervous...

Supposedly the rain returns tomorrow.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/11/15 05:22 AM
Take our rain, cleome. We've had so much rain that my backyard is flooded. laugh
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/11/15 05:36 AM
Ain't that always the way, NL? shake

I'm totally trying to talk my spouse into buying a rain barrel, on the off chance that it really does start to rain again.
I just had shots of brandy, whiskey and rum. I am red as a tomato.
When I met Stalgie for dinner the other night, I mentioned Rockhopper Lass in passing and said I'd explain about her later. Now I realize I never did.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/14/15 03:34 AM
Now that you brought it up, I just realized we never did get around to discussing that. laugh
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/14/15 03:35 AM
I miss Rockhopper Lass!!! nod

It occurs to me, btw, that I probably wrote her more than (or at least just as much as) you ever did, Rocky! grin
Stalgie, you can read the Rockhopper Lass article on the LMB Wiki, although that does not include what happened during the "Lord of the Oval" storyline.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/14/15 03:49 AM
Thanks Rocky. Now that makes a lot more sense. smile
A cute guy poured a cocktail on my shirt last night.
Blaze and I met this cute gay man from Florida. He is about our age and we get along really well. I taught him the Filipino slang for people with hot bodies but not so attractive faces - shrimp, or "hipon" in Filipino. We call them shrimp because when you eat shrimp, you consume the body and throw the head away.

He says he's going to start using it back home.
When I was young my friends and I would play a game we called Relievio. It was basically team hide-and-go-seek. One feature was that if you were caught, you were put in the "jail" (usually a picnic table) but if a free team member tagged you, you got free and could hide again. One trick I would do is this. I would initially hide near the jail and when the seeking team spread out I would go sit at the jail. I would then wait until most of my team was captured. Then while the seeking team was looking for the final person, I would say to my captured team mates "I wasn't captured. You're free. you're free. you're free." and tag them all. And we would all run off and hide again.
We have three puppies.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/08/15 03:10 AM
I've been stuck on the runway of the Atlanta airport for two hours because some passengers made threatening statements about the White House and now the TSA is getting involved. frown
I poked me eye this morning. I have these tiny East Asian eyes and I still manage to poke them often.
^Target practice?
My aim is to be Hawkeye one day.
I took a Sick leave today and had a nice, long sleep.
Posted By: Harbinger Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/21/15 04:36 PM
Tomorrow night I'm being taken out for a meal.
I'm wearing red.
The other day I posted a question about how much money you have ever found on the Still Another Person Below Me thread. That afternoon as I was in the subway station I found a dollar on the floor.
I am trapped in a hellish training session about being open to change and innovation, that I am, ironically, finding myself extremely hostile and close-minded about due to the idiocy of the format and presentation.
Ohmygod! I'm like back LW! Just deal with it and junk like that.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/10/15 11:32 PM
I ate pink lemonade frozen yogurt today.
I taught Calculus to the Captain of a team playing in the World Cup.
Discussing "Remember the Night" over on the Top 40 of 1/22/84 thread got me curious about the Motels, so I found this site by their former keyboard/sax player, Marty Jourard.

I love reading first-hand accounts from the musicians who were actually there.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/11/15 05:21 AM
Cool and comfortable here. All the windows are open, and I think it's time for a fresh tumbler of ice water and a Marx Brothers flick.
I drank too many different kinds of alcohol last night - red wine, beer, vodka, tequila, Bailey's, scotch. Gosh darned it.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/12/15 02:37 AM
Hopefully not all in the same glass. eek eek

My Landini lilies just opened, and they look marvelous. Too bad the yard itself is a wreck. I've got no time and energy right now, compared to last year. shake
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/12/15 02:45 AM
I'm going to a midnight premiere of Jurassic World tonight.
I overslept, but Blaze is still not awake.

Originally Posted by cleome48
Hopefully not all in the same glass. eek eek

Thankfully no. I think I would have passed out immediately.

I was looking at pictures of the Tel Aviv gay pride and one picture was of a t-shirt that had Superman, but with a G on his chest and a rainbow cape. And the t-shirt also read "Up, up, and a gay!"
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/12/15 11:49 PM
Today is Superman Day.

http://holidaysinyear.com/day/superman-day/

Go out and save somebody.
I overslept today, yet I still feel sleepy and groggy.
So,

my former Calculus student captained what is being called one of the biggest upsets in women's World Cup history.

I'm taking credit.
I had a nice full-body workout today.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/14/15 04:30 PM
I woke up with a sore throat today.
I had some milk today.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/15/15 04:20 PM
http://www.savagechickens.com/wp-content/uploads/chickencupcakeland2.jpg
Kazakhstan is about to accede to the WTO.
I have just come back from the bathroom. You can no longer say that I am full of ...
Oatmeal with coffee and peanut butter is good.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/03/15 08:14 PM
I don't remember any of the UBB codes.
I like to listen to Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Antiphon" from "Five Mystical Songs" while on the elliptical.
I need sleep.
Eye floaters are caused by the liguidization of the eye gell.

Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
I don't remember any of the UBB codes.

smile

Water on the floor.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/04/15 05:16 PM
I heard a guy today claim that the internet has become self-aware and woken up. If that's true, I'd like the internet to put on the coffee and walk the dog, please.
Jamaica and Singapore now have their first UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Posted By: Harbinger Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/04/15 05:44 PM
Today I really crave gin
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/04/15 05:52 PM
I'm going to try making buffalo wings at home today.
Our puppy keeps barking at me whenever I come home.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/04/15 07:54 PM
I am working on not turning into my mother when I get older.
I have some spinach dip in front of me.
Lavender and Ivory Soap are two of my favorite scents.
First day of vacation. Took the ferry to Georges Island and toured Fort Warren. Then had lunch, read some from my book "The Race Underground about the building of the Boston & New York subways while sitting in a nice cool ocean breeze.
I just had a hot dog with some delicious mustard.
So apparently Aunt May is going to be hot!

Marissa Tormei was just offered the role ...

rawr!
I have scratches all over my arm.
The last actors to appear shirtless in the final episodes of both The Edge of Night (Joel Crothers) and, 25 years later, Guiding Light (Murray Bartlett) were both gay. Both scenes involved them being in bed with a woman.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/11/15 08:07 PM
Saw a pitch yesterday for a charity called Solar For All. What a great idea!
Exactly two years ago I posted a picture of fish with parmesan, herbs and olive oil.
"Human hate can adapt to anything." -- Colussus
It's raining.
rock robot rock

rock robot rock

rock robot rock

I want to go to Greece.
I love cheeky Power Boy Robot's smirky avatar image.
I feel drained and tired and want to go to sleep. Instead, I will force myself to have a workout.
Chuck Jones, both the Erwin Schroedinger and Werner Heisenberg of the animated cartooning world.

A short video essay on youtube.

Completely underappreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHpXle4NqWI
Eating at a Chinese buffet with my love
So I was thinking about what I would show Invisible Brainiac & Blaze if/when they come to Boston. But then I thought this would be true for any Legion Worlders.

Day 1: Have to do the Freedom Trail and a Duck Tour. I would also show them the Boston Public Library. A walk through the Public Gardens and a picnic lunch on the Esplanade

Day 2: A little break fro all that walking done yesterday. We would take a ferry out to Georges Island. Tour Fort Warren. Then have a picnic and just enjoy the island and the harbor

Day 3: A trip up to New Hampshire to see the Flume and maybe also the Polar Caves.

Day 4: some alone time for them

Day 5: Any place they wanted to see.
(Wow that is so cool Quis)

I am going back to bed in 15 minutes
I'd like to do the Freedom Walk and the library and gardens.

Things that come to MY mind of Boston area (as a non-native)
- sea food, white gangstas, basketball, beer and smart people.

Maine: Kittery. Doesn't get more 'Merican than that!
N Hampshire: Pancakes and Maple Syrup. Stop by Exeter so they can see a typical American high school. Skiing if Winter time. Leaves if early Autumn.

Cambridge: Skulling on the Charles, see smart people.
Get stuck in traffic jam. Oh wait, they're from Manila. Wouldn't be impressed.
Fenway if summer but you know he want's to be here Halloween.
South Boston
Back Bay
Pubbing
Pretty decent Filipino community over in Lowell. I knew a girl from Lowel. Not Filipina though. Tiniest mouth you ever saw on a normal sized adult. Not sure how she fed herself.

What would be a good nearby small "New Englandy" seaside community? Woods Hole? Sit and have a clam chowder or lobster roll.

Ooh Ooh: Don't you guys have a six flags? There's nothing that would say "Welcome to America" like making them eat large fried dough then putting them on spinny things.
Ooh Ooh Part two, thought of another must do while in Boston.

Watch Good Will Hunting..,,,,,,,,. lol JUST JOKING!

The Boondock Saints!
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
Get stuck in traffic jam. Oh wait, they're from Manila. Wouldn't be impressed.

The traffic jams here can turn a 15-minute drive into a 2-hour one.
1:45 mark if you want to get right to it.

So, I used Mapquest to map out traveling the border of the contiguous 48 states. According to Mapquest, I would travel 10,183.5 miles and it would take 166 Hours and 22 minutes of constant driving.
The equator passes through the Maldives.
Massachusetts has the towns of Brookfield, West Brookfield, North Brookfield, and East Brookfield. There is no South Brookfield.
A lot of countries in Eastern Europe are predicted to lose over 30% of their population in the next few decades.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/16/15 08:56 AM
Now that I've looked it up, I think I'd like to visit The Flume.
Waitomo Caves in New Zealand are very pretty because of all the glow worms. They look like stars.
Dumplings come with a wide variety of fillings - meat cheese soup fruit veggies syrup...
I tend to walk down stairs sideways.
Our male puppy now follows me around. how adorable.
I use Legionnaires' "real" names as part of my passwords at work
I woke up with a terrible sore throat.
For about 5 years in a row my sister has given me a book I really want.

It might have something to do with my giving her a list of books I really want in November.
I have been reading up about different countries on Wikitravel. So far I've finished the articles on Iceland, Maldives, USA, Canada, Thailand and Cambodia (among the countries I've visited). I've also read up on Nepal, Tanzania, Madagascar, Seychelles, Panama, Costa Rica, Ecuador, France, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Palau and Israel, and am halfway through the Jordan article. Two of these I plan to visit next year.

I hope to finish reading all articles over the holidays.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/05/16 10:19 PM
Fleur is French for flower.
Angola is probably the country with the biggest land area that does not have a UNESCO World Heritage site.
I've had 4 calls at work from different people named Richard. That's a lot of Dick I am getting. wink
I had raw tomatoes today.

That is evil!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/09/16 04:30 PM
I bought new pants today.
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq

That is evil!

Hence I must ask forgiveness.
Today is the 98th anniversary of the Boston Molasses Flood.

I laughed the first time I heard about it too. But 21 people died and many more were injured.

In reading about the flood, the giant tank holding the molasses leaked right from the start. The company that owned the tank "solved" the problem by painting the tank brown.

Here is a link to more info and pictures

http://northendwaterfront.com/great-molasses-flood-in-north-end-january-15-1919/
Slovakia has the largest number of castles and chateaux per capita of any country in the world.
"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons, madam: that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

- - Pierre Beaumarchais b. 01/24/1732
M'zab Valley..Algeria... pretty.

If I were to kill a murderer, there would be the same number of murderers left in the world.
Dumplings are love.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/25/16 10:09 AM
It's 30 degrees outside right now.
Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/25/16 03:34 PM
This is my 5000th post. grin
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
This is my 5000th post. grin

Congrats half a Time Trapper!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/25/16 04:46 PM
Do I get half my robes, preferably the bottom half?
You get the right side. Yay congrats Stalgie!

In the spirit of random. I had no breakfast today
The Emerald City of Oz by Lyman Frank Baum
Chapter 26

"That water," declared Ozma, gravely, "is the most dangerous thing in all the Land of Oz. It is the Water of Oblivion. Whoever drinks at the Forbidden Fountain at once forgets everything he has ever known. It is said that once--long, long ago--a wicked King ruled Oz, and made himself and all is people very miserable and unhappy. So Glinda, the Good Sorceress, placed this fountain here, and the King drank of its water and forgot all his wickedness. His mind became innocent and vacant, and when he learned the things of life again they were all good things. But the people remembered how wicked their King had been, and were still afraid of him. Therefore, he made them all drink of the Water of Oblivion and forget everything they had known, so that they became as simple and innocent as their King. After that, they all grew wise together, and their wisdom was good, so that peace and happiness reigned in the land."

(In case you did not think Glinda was creepy enough.)
The Stone Circles of Senegambia dot the landscapes between the River Gambia and the River Senegal.
I wonder if Invisible Brainiac is in the district that Manny Pacquiao is running in.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...ny-pacquiao-after-his-anti-gay-outburst/
Thank heavens no. I just hope this guy does not win a Senatorial seat. That, sadly, is decided nationwide... but that could be good.

Sadly, while many Filipinos are liberal, many also agree with Manny's views.

Ok random. My dog bit my finger. She got too excited when I gave out treats.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/18/16 06:32 PM
My dog doesn't like me. frown
Scooby-doo has had a few relatives on the shows over the years, besides Scrappy.

There was dimwitted Scooby-Dum, and Scooby-Dee, and Ruby-Doo (or is it Rooby-Doo?).
Also posted on my Facebook wall:

So today at work we were having a going away breakfast for an employee. It was held in the 1st floor conference room, which has a separate entry (albeit down a long hallway) In the middle of the breakfast as other co-workers were coming in, a homeless man followed them in. He got a plate full of grapes and poured himself some coffee. He ate some of the grapes, did not drink any of the coffee, asked a couple of people for $2, and left.
Many of the cities on this list are in war-torn areas. Depressing.

http://matadornetwork.com/trips/10-oldest-cities-world/
OK here's the story: My dad had a subscription to US News & World Report. The magazine switched to an all digital format and dad had his subscription switched to Esquire magazine. Dad passed away 8 years ago and I am still receiving issues of Esquire. I don't read the magazine. So, I sent an email to that effect to their customer service department. In one of the automated replies, it appears that the subscription is paid for another 155 issues lasting until May 2026.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/23/16 01:28 PM
I own a copy of the Artist's Choice CD curated by Sarah McLachlan. I like all the songs to varying degrees (it's the first place I ever heard Willie Nelson's wonderful version of "Unchained Melody", which in turn led me to his "Stardust" album; thanks, Sarah) except for Kate & Anna McGarrigle's "I Eat Dinner", which sounds to me like a sketch-comedy parody of folk music ("I eat din-ner/With mashed po-ta-toes") OTOH, maybe the song's theme of solitude and loneliness hits too close to home and I laugh at it as a defense mechanism.
The dogs prefer sleeping in the garage to sleeping in the dining room.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/29/16 06:22 PM
Heavy metal may or may not have been invented in the year 1970.
I slept beside the dogs last night.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/01/16 01:37 AM
Let's hear it for my new niece: a genuine Leap Day Baby! w00t!!
I poked my eye. Ugh.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/06/16 10:03 PM
Alan Grant's hospitality and support for a then-unknown writer named Mark Millar was rudely repaid by snarky comments about Grant being out of touch with the streets by living in a castle.

Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/06/16 10:17 PM
I bought a new hoodie today.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/06/16 10:20 PM
White sometime-rapper Anthony Kiedis allegedly loathes fellow white sometime-rapper Mike Patton.
Posted By: Caliente Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/06/16 10:29 PM
I've been thinking about maybe looking for a job in D.C. and taking a trip in either May or September to see about interviewing places. I'm kind of on the fence, though, because who the next president of the U.S. is may affect that decision...
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/06/16 11:15 PM
I've been looking into (future) jobs in D.C. too. A lot of healthcare analytics and consulting jobs are there.
There are now six UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Philippines.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/07/16 09:09 PM
I've seen college students climb the bookshelves like animals after being told the book they need is not available.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/07/16 09:19 PM
I've seen college students climb the bookshelves like animals after being told the book they need is not available.

"B-O-O-K" Is that some new app or something? wink
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/07/16 09:22 PM

"B-O-O-K" Is that some new app or something? wink

LOL

Well, I didn't say I saw it recently. tongue

Random: Years ago, Peter David's daughter Shana went to the Long Island Girls Drama Camp with a then-unknown Natalie Portman, who apparently was already acting like a star even though she wasn't one yet, much to Shana's chagrin.
I had meatballs with dijon mustard and cheddar.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/07/16 09:30 PM
I applied for a summer part-time job today.
Posted By: Caliente Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/07/16 09:30 PM
I have eaten way too many Girl Scout cookies today!
I swam yesterday and I plan to swim later.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/07/16 09:36 PM
Dolphins and whales are not fish, they're mammals.
The gigantopithecus was the largest ape to ever live. It looked kind of like a giant orangutan.
Belize is the only Central American country to be English speaking, not Spanish speaking
Posted By: Caliente Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/07/16 09:47 PM
Bonobo monkeys solve conflicts through copulation.
Jollibee, a Filipino fast food chain, started out as an ice cream parlor.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/12/16 02:41 PM
I once watched a PBS special honoring pop music producer David Foster. Imagine my horror, as a fan of MTV-era Chicago, to see the once-cute Peter Cetera waddling onto the stage looking like Uncle Fester, and subsequently proving that his vocal range was shot.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/12/16 05:32 PM
"Woooo!! That'll make yer Shamrock Shake!!"

Philippine politics is based on patronage, name recall, and personality rather than policies. Breaks my heart and makes me want to leave.
Come to America, where the only thing we have to worry about is Donald Trump. smile
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/12/16 08:23 PM
...along with all the other stuff IB is grumbling about.

shake

BTW, I keep wondering if we need an all-head-shaking thread. But I'm afraid it would just be 300 posts in a row of my weird political rantings. Until you all got bored and threw me out.
Aw cleome, I will never get bored listening to you!

Esfahan is Iran's number one tourist destination, according to Lonely Planet.
Speaking of Jefferson Airplane (which we were on another thread), I just found out original female vocalist Signe Anderson died on Jan. 28, the same day as rhythm guitarist/co-founder Paul Kantner.

While Signe was overshadowed by her successor, Grace Slick, she was an amazing vocalist in her own right, as this rendition of "Let's Get Together" (later a hit for the Youngbloods) shows. Signe sings lead on the second verse:

I also got to interview Signe once, for a JA fan site I wrote for. A sweet lady, she called me at work because I had included the wrong phone number in my letter, and then was gracious when I explained my mistake and asked if we could reschedule.

When the interview got underway, we chatted for maybe an hour and she answered all of my questions about the early Airplane.

Cherry blossom season in Japan is between March and May every year, but the exact dates vary per location. So if you get the chance to see the cherry blossoms blooming, you should take it.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/13/16 12:24 AM
Just finished my Hatha Yoga stretches. Have been back to doing 'em for about a month and a half now, with only 3 days missed altogether.

Feeling really good now.
Argentina contains the highest and the lowest points in South America.
Searching for a book by ISBN number when you want to buy a specific edition is the best method.
Sukhothai, between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, is one of the quieter concentrations of ancient temples in Thailand.
According to Wikipedia, the creators of the Green Hornet tried out various colors, including blue and pink, before settling on green.

I strongly suspect if he were called "The Pink Hornet", the character would be viewed very different today.
There is a mall in Iceland where you can see the point at which the Eurasian and the American plates meet
People forget about the bus as an economical way to travel from NYC to Baltimore
The Czech Republic is said to be the birthplace of beer.
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/29/16 01:47 PM
I am currently dating someone from the Czech Republic.

He confirms that the Czech Republic is the birthplace of beer, and that the Czech people get frustrated when non-Czech people erroneously think that Germany, or some other country, is the birthplace of beer.
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/29/16 01:48 PM
They take their beer very seriously in the Czech Republic.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/29/16 02:59 PM
I take my beer seriously when in the Czech Republic too smile
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/29/16 04:58 PM
Then the Czechs will love you!
I have also taken beer seriously in the Czech Republic
I have not visited the Czech Republic yet. But I will visit France soon.
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/30/16 11:37 AM
I am flying to Prague tonight! For only three days, alas. But I will be taking beer seriously while there as well. smile

So, I ran over to the library on my lunch and coming back, I was exiting at Park St. Just outside was a young woman. She took a step towards me and said "Did you spit all over the train?" I'm like "What???" then she says a little more slowly and clearly "Do you have a dollar for the train?"

I said "no"
I am, as usual, stuck in traffic. But I did not sleep well last night and I want to crawl back to bed
I tried a fresh tomato for the first time today! It was delicious! What I fool I have been for not eating them all these years!
April 1 is a good day for trying new things!
I just found out a twitter buddy of mine (that I went to happy hour with a few times) died today... ugh
I'm so sorry, Myg.

Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/02/16 06:46 AM
My condolences, Andy.
thanks -- it's a weird thing to find out on twitter (but then again he lived a lot of his life there)
Just kinda threw me for the rest of the night
I was watching the Dr. Who story "The Talons of Weng Chiang" which is set in Victorian London. In the special features, they talk about how on one of the location shots of a street, one homeowner had gone on vacation and had left their blue Porche parked on the street. They couldn't move the Porche. So they covered it with a tarp and covered it with "manure". (Although looking at it, it was just hay) So watching the story, I did see the suspicious pile of hay on one of the streets. Something else else I never noticed when I watched the story before.
I had two glasses each of red.wine and white wine the other night. Needless to say I woke up late the next morning
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/15/16 09:39 PM
BBQ wings + garlicky greens + citrus-grenadine mocktail X Beausoleil = a happy Friday night for sure! nod

Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/15/16 10:13 PM
If Charo gets a sunburn while riding a shark, does that make her a charred Charo on a Carcharo?
I am melting. It is so hot.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/16/16 12:44 PM
My old cellphone is officially obsolete, but the company mailed me an upgraded replacement. Now all I have to do is wait for the info transfer to be completed.
I'm making dinner for a friend this evening. Here's hoping it's edible!
I need to do a double workout today to make up for missed workouts during the week.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/16/16 09:10 PM
A couple of days ago, my wife popped what I thought was a cyst on my neck that was about 15 years old. It wasn't a cyst.
Oh dear. Hope you're okay, rick.

I had some lemon water today.
Best wishes, Rick.

I watched a bunch of '60s cartoons with some friends today. Had a lot of fun.
The real names of some Legionnaires make good passwords
Green is my favorite color. I would love to wear Chemical King's costume to a party.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/03/16 12:48 PM
What a bummer of a day, so far. sigh
I am sleepy.
I am very Doc
I have never been operated on
Just clicked on the dumbest clickbait link ever.

All I could see of the title was "25 celebrities who won't be ce..." and I was curious what it was. It turned out to be 25 celebrities who won't be celebrating Christmas this year. Basically just a list of celebrities who are Jewish or Jehovah's Witnesses.

Did you guys know that Woody Allen is Jewish? Or Adam Sandler? Wow!
I clicked on something similar. 10 celebrities who hate the Internet/social media. Brad Pitt and Shailene Woodley and George Clooney and Winona Ryder suck at using computers. Yay.

I am just glad many kind souls now post spoilers on click baity articles.

Also hate Internet slideshows that don't give the option to view as one page. I am not going to click 25 times just to see the top 40 authentic small towns in Europe.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/11/16 01:34 PM
The weather is gorgeous, but if I have to come home to the gentle strains of one more damn televised hockey game I'm gonna' lose it. scream
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Just clicked on the dumbest clickbait link ever.

All I could see of the title was "25 celebrities who won't be ce..." and I was curious what it was. It turned out to be 25 celebrities who won't be celebrating Christmas this year. Basically just a list of celebrities who are Jewish or Jehovah's Witnesses.

Did you guys know that Woody Allen is Jewish? Or Adam Sandler? Wow!

No way!!!!!!!!!

Next you'll be telling me that Liberace was gay.
There is a fly on my wall
Is the fly gay? Or Jewish? Or gay and Jewish?
I think my dog is gay. Don't care about the fly
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/18/16 10:09 AM
As I begin the final countdown to the big 5-0 in June, I'm thinking I need a snappy new nickname to celebrate.

Maybe I could borrow a page from our old "friend" Zardi and be *The Saber-Toothed Cougar* for a few weeks.

I'll worry about buying myself a stylish sarcophagus later. Maybe check out the deals on ebay...

TimeTrapper Catspaw
Yay cleome! What a milestone!

My feet hurt
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/18/16 01:12 PM
This software at work is very frustrating to use.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/27/16 12:39 AM
I need to go
Tomorrow is Boston's Gay Pride Parade. I have not been to Pride for years now. I don't think that I will be going tomorrow either.
I very much want to go to a Pride party.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/13/16 04:44 PM
I've been sick and still dragging my sorry behind to work almost every day.

I just stopped by for a sec to tell you all that I love you. If you need to vent after the weekend's awfulness, I think there's room in my IM.

flag
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/13/16 04:51 PM
Thanks, Cleome. Feel better soon. I will definitely send you a PM.
Get well soon and big hugs cleome.

Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/13/16 08:27 PM
Thanks, Doll. When you see Blaze give him a big hug from me, too.

(I'm not contagious or bedridden, just uncomfortable and grumpy.)
He says hi. We're bringing over soup!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/14/16 01:11 AM
I'll get some salad together then. Maybe grab a nice fresh baguette on the way home, too.

MatterEaterLada
We'll bring some wine, too! And some nice fruit teas smile
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/14/16 12:21 PM
I so want the LMB Worldwide Potluck to become a reality before I pass on. Even if I need to get on Skype to make it happen.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/14/16 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by cleome49
I so want the LMB Worldwide Potluck to become a reality before I pass on. Even if I need to get on Skype to make it happen.

Perhaps at the 60th Anniversary of the Legion, 2 years from now?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/14/16 12:58 PM
Yeah, by that time I'll have had time to clean the living room AND figure out how Skype works.
So a little story about what happened to me on Saturday just to lighten the mood a bit. I had gone out to the library and was returning home. I was walking up my street and reached into my pocket for my keys. Oh darn it. No keys and my phone was not there either. I realized that they must have fallen out of my pocket the night before (it has happened in the past)

So I get to my house and ring the bell of my 1st floor neighbor. Luckily she was in. We used her phone to call my landlord. However the call went right to voice mail. We sat on the porch waiting a while. Then I went in the backway to see if I could force my backdoor open.

I couldn't. There is a little window in my pantry to the back porch which I keep open so Belinda (my cat) can go out onto the back porch. I tried to go through it, but with just one leg in, I knew it was not going to happen. I then went to the window to the back bedroom. I could see that the window was unlocked. I tried to lift the screen, but it would not budge. Then I pushed on the upper window and it slide down. I went down to the cellar and got a stepladder. Brought it up to my back porch. Climbed in. Recovered my keys and phone. Called the landlord to say I was in. It freaked Belinda out a little to see me climbing in the window.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/14/16 02:25 PM
This peach I paid too much for at the Yuppiemart is good. Not great, but good.

FruitBoy
I have some canned peaches downstairs.
Statistically speaking,
if you are a human being living in the United States
and are not black
not hispanic
and do not own a gun
you are less likely to be killed by gunfire
than you are to be killed by a bolt of lightning.
Singapore is so... hot.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/15/16 09:56 AM
Alice Cooper and David Bowie were both popular in high school.

No wonder I find both of them overrated.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/15/16 10:01 AM
I went to bed with a headache and woke up with another one. frown
I am still working.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/17/16 11:48 PM
Tomorrow, I'm donating another bunch of comics to the free box. It's taken months, but I've finally gotten my stash down to about one-half its original size. It was a good excuse to do a lot of re-reading, too.
I love soft beds.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/18/16 03:46 PM
The air smells delicious outside from the brief, heavy rain.
I hope I can find my sunglasses. What I would not give to have Dawnstar or Shikari along...
Yesterday I went to Denver Comic Con
Today I go to Denver Pride.
It's expected to hit 100 degrees today.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/19/16 01:37 PM
Have fun Andy! smile
I have been to all SEA countries except Brunei, Laos and Timor-Leste.

I have no desire to visit Brunei.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/20/16 10:38 AM
I am waiting for my bosses to come assess my work. eek
Good luck, Kappa!
Good luck, pal!

I am ready for work but am too lazy to leave the house.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/21/16 06:16 PM
Roadrunners are a type of cuckoo.

Which I guess makes Sonny the Cocoa Puffs Cuckoo Bird and Beep-Beep the Road Runner cousins?
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/21/16 06:44 PM
I made buffalo wings today. MatterEaterLad
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/21/16 10:54 PM
A dish of fresh melon + a cold glass of lime seltzer. Add the music of Billie Holiday, sit back and forget for a few hours that your job still exists.
I am having tuna.
I WOKE UP IN LA!
WTF

Well I suppose it's better than waking up in a hotel room covered in "HELLO MY NAME IS..." badges
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
I WOKE UP IN LA!
WTF

Well I suppose it's better than waking up in a hotel room covered in "HELLO MY NAME IS..." badges

This sounds like you were surprised. Did you fall asleep elsewhere?
My head hurts

This sounds like you were surprised. Did you fall asleep elsewhere?

Not at all. I just haven't been in LA visiting friends in ages. Mostly I'm here for work and that's it.
So it's kind of nice reconnecting
But I still trip out that I'm back in LA
I wish I could go back to Cambodia.
My dad just explained to me why Trump is amazing.

I lost my temper.

I'm way too sober to be around my parents.
I almost lost it a lot during our own election season, myself. I had a lot of relatives and acquaintances with absolutely idiotic opinions.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/25/16 09:24 PM
I went to get the car brake lights fixed, but the shop was closed today. shake
I had meatballs for dinner.
My brother had a housewarming today. It was alright.
My throat kind of hurts
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/27/16 02:46 PM
I always have some of those tiny Thai pickled peppers at the noodle joint when we go there for dinner, and I never remember until the following day why this is such a bad idea.

MatterEaterLad XBombBetty
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/27/16 05:13 PM
My dentist told me today that I have to get my wisdom teeth removed. frown
Aw frown I remember my own wisdom teeth extraction frown
Ugh at wisdom teeth
I reconnected with an old friend last night
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/28/16 05:25 PM
My favorite Star Wars character by far, and the only one I've ever wanted to write a fanfic about, is Boba Fett.

Make of that what you will.
My eyes are dry
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/28/16 06:41 PM
I made shrimp stir fry for dinner tonight. MatterEaterLad
There is a cockroach in my client's office
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/29/16 02:33 PM
It's been nearly 20 years since the death of the great voice actor Don Messick, who played everyone from Scooby-Doo to Boo-Boo to Hardy Har Har to Dum Dum to Muttley to Astro to Dr. Benton Quest to Papa Smurf to Ratchet of the Transformers (Ratchet was the Autobot who turned into an ambulance.)
I have a wound in my mouth. I didn't even realize I had injured it.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/02/16 01:56 AM
I had riesling last night
I'm bringing in my phone and tablet for repairs - it's back to the 1990s for me in terms of tech! And I don't even have a beeper
It is raining like crazy here.
In a book I read, there was a section on various civilian patriotic organizations that well weren't so good.

But there also appeared, unbidden, a string of superpatriotic volunteer organizations dedicated to spreading propaganda and to discovering alleged traitors, saboteurs, and slackers. The most influential of these groups were the National Security League and the National Protective Association. The Boy Spies of America, the Sedition Slammers, and the Terrible Threateners had more picturesque names but were less powerful. The volunteer groups carried patriotism to excess and were actually often responsible for the greatest violations of civil liberties, although the government made no real attempt to discourage or limit their activities. As a result, force became the order of the day, and the government never regained control of the explosive situation.

I especially liked the name "The Terrible Threateners". I think of them saying things like "If you don't do what we say, we will give you $10 dollars!" That would be a terrible threat.
My friend and I have similar problems with our mothers.
My dog is extra farty today
I had some calamansi juice today.
Coffee is STILL my friend
I slept early last night
My cat Belinda had two upsetting days in a row.

On Monday, 4 people "invaded" the apartment in order to use the bathroom. These were my nieces and nephew before making the trip home to Rhode Island. She wasn't so upset that she did not eat her wet food I put out when I got in.

On Tuesday, a strange cat was in her hallway. When my 2nd floor neighbor came in last night, a neighborhood cat came in the door with him. He thought it might be Belinda (he has never seen her). Belinda saw this strange cat and started to get very upset. I manage to keep her in the apartment. My neighbor escorted the cat out.
Poor Belinda.

One of our dogs is like that when it rains. She will hide in a corner and stare out the window, trembling.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/16/16 10:29 AM
As the whole world has gone the way of k-cups and Kuerig machines, I've gone back the other way and make pots of coffee on the weekends. It just smells better.
I really like the taste of a good dark beer.
I'm not sure the grocery store's 10 for $10 get the 11th item free is a good deal for me. I ate three king sized frozen Snickers Bars and a bag of M&M's just today. Oh, and a small salad.
My morning coffee is making me shake.
Oh! That reminds me, I made a pot of coffee. Hope it's still hot.

eh, looks like I only thought I'd made a pot of coffee. So the good news, it didn't get cold.
The bank I am in has a long and slow-moving line...
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/18/16 12:23 AM
I am currently engaged in tactical warfare with a cockroach in my bedroom. eek
I hope it's not a flying cockroach!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/18/16 08:50 AM
It was, but the battle had ended and the foe is vanquished... evil
This morning coming out of the subway, I saw a cockroach on the sidewalk. I was surprised to see one out in the daylight.
There are teeny cockroaches in my office. They come out at night.
Vampire roaches. Hate those.
Sprocking bloodsucking roaches... that's what the one crawling on my cheek must have been trying to do...
So, I am planning to see both Ghostbusters and Star Trek this weekend. I am not sure which to see first. It will probably be Star Trek
I have a big zit
My mentee Daniel Driffin is speaking at the DNC today - I'm so excited!
I am having trouble learning negatives in French
Wiggle your head left and right and you'll have it conquered. Or just add "pas" after every verb. Mostly it will probably be wrong but they'll think you're so cute for trying, you'll just want to hang with the ineptness.
I hope cute can get me a job. Thanks, BB!
The Columbian World's Fair of 1893 wanted some centerpiece to compete with the Eiffel Tower of the 1889 Paris World's Fair. Many people suggested bigger towers. Finally one engineer suggested a mechanical ride. That engineer was named George Ferris. And that is how we got ferris wheels.
Antigua and Barbuda and the Federated States of Micronesia both got their first UNESCO World Heritage Sites inscribed this year.
Smell that? Thought I'd share. hmmm, burritos.
I am having a nice big pizza.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/03/16 08:36 AM
Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman are both Scorpios, but Moore was born much closer to the cusp of Sagittarius. I think that's part of the reason I like Moore so much better.
My pants are damp
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/03/16 10:12 AM
My pants are damp

I don't know what to make of this...
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/03/16 10:12 AM
The power just went out and came back on in my office.
I think I am coming down with a fever.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/04/16 10:04 AM
I got my wisdom teeth removed today. frown
I got my wisdom teeth removed today. frown

Was that wise?

PS: hope you feel better.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/04/16 11:00 AM
I am currently on a diet of milkshakes and tomato bisque soup.

(Thanks, Quis! smile )
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/04/16 12:31 PM
Get well soon, Kappa.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/04/16 12:39 PM
Thanks, Fanfie. smile
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/04/16 01:26 PM
Some bourbon in the shake and brande in the soup and you'll be on the Cobalt Kid Guide to Dental Recovery!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/04/16 01:28 PM
A colleague I barely know bought me and two others lunch today after we all attended a meeting.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/04/16 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Some bourbon in the shake and brande in the soup and you'll be on the Cobalt Kid Guide to Dental Recovery!

When I told my boss that I would try to come to work the next day, he said "I don't care if I smell scotch and whisky on your breath as long as you get your job done!" laugh
I am currently on a diet of milkshakes and tomato bisque soup.

I can think of worse diets tongue Get well soon!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/04/16 08:55 PM
Do Kappa's milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard?
I think Kappa would prefer to bring girls to the yard.

But he can still bring the boys, and pass them on to me and Blaze.
My daughter-in=law assures me that this is completely non-offensive.

Invisible Brainiac?
I found it funny. I would not be surprised if some people got offended, because, well, some people are just too darned sensitive.

Pretty much everything he mentions is true. Not everything is specific to Filipinos (lots of Asian countries do the remove-shoes-before-entering-home thing), but that is a minor quibble.
"Kayfabe Commentaries: 1977-78" has a downer ending, in that "Superstar" Billy Graham did not keep the championship, like he thinks he should have. I was surprised given that the last two programs I purchased had a happy ending despite various problems.
An ant bit my heel.
I return to NYC on Wednesday (after spending the summer in Denver) and interview with a recruiter on Thursday morning.
I'm not nervous. Not me.
It is very warm here.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/08/16 02:56 AM
Probably going to bed soon.
I am getting a stress headache from work.
I really need to get back to rewriting this paper.
I finished a can of peaches today
I just finished therapy.
A canoe just walked by my door.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/08/16 05:56 PM
I just woke up from a 4 hour nap.
It is raining again
Crips invaded the park next to by drive yesterday. Okay, they were bluejays but I'd never seen so many in one spot. Had to be near ten of them. Bloods (cardinals) in the morning and crips in the evening.
I feel chilly.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/11/16 08:19 PM
I had to drive to the airport twice today.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/11/16 08:20 PM
I'm reading Black Science in-between customers at work.
I slept almost all morning.
The current state treasurer for Alabama is Young Boozer III
Classes have been suspended in the Philippine capital for yet another day due to expected heavy rains
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/12/16 07:34 PM
I'm drafting a Linkedin page for my boss's company.
Our dog thinks she's a cat. She keeps climbing all over the furniture.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/12/16 08:16 PM
Our dog thinks she's a cat. She keeps climbing all over the furniture.

George of the Jungle's pet elephant Shep thinks he's a dog.
I hope Shep doesn't sit on George's lap...
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/13/16 12:19 AM
A friend/customer of mine came in to visit me at work today in full Joker cosplay (well sans facepaint) and bought Batman stuff (as usual).
I'm almost out of mustard
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/15/16 05:00 PM
The current state treasurer for Alabama is Young Boozer III
lol

Which in hindsight should have been my first LW username!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/15/16 06:14 PM
My bosses congratulated me on my work today! grin
Going to Cleveland tomorrow. I see a Hotsauce Williams Polish Girl in my future.
There was a tornado in Manila the other day.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/15/16 07:49 PM
It is currently raining outside my house.
My eye is dry.
Young Boozer

[Linked Image]
Carlos Boozer

[Linked Image]
My ex said I have a nice caboose
I haven't woken to the sound of music in two weeks.
My back hurts.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/30/16 01:20 PM
Carlos Boozer

[Linked Image]

Considering the "FAMILY" tattoo on his arm, it's safe to assume that this is actually Uncle Carlos, the uncle of Young Boozer.
Boozers have to stick together
I want to go back to bed.
C code to generate ten uniformly distributed [0,100] pseudo random numbers.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main() {
int c, n;

printf("Ten random numbers in [1,100]\n");

for (c = 1; c <= 10; c++) {
n = rand() % 100 + 1;
printf("%d\n", n);
}

return 0;
}
Visit the Pitcairn Islands to see the remains of the Bounty!
Visit Drake's house to see the remains of the booty!
Visit Anthony Weiner's house to see his body... Ah, you can just text him.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 09/02/16 10:29 PM
I'm a Scorpio
So am I!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 09/03/16 05:49 AM
"Reynard the Fox" is the opening track from Julian Cope's second album, "Fried."
I am having some lovely peach iced tea.
So Bill Clinton is talking just a couple doors down from my classroom and we have to watch it on the local news link on the classroom projector.

lol

and the big news in the school? Not Bill. A very popular Pizza place at one of the local universities is closing. An hour to order and 6 until you get your pizza, It's so backed up they won't take phone orders, have to go in person. The guy wants to retire. Crap on a stick, he could retire anywhere in the world if he'd franchize the place.
I am having spring rolls today.
Been an exciting football weekend. Unfortunately the home team lost on a FG with no time.
Blaze and I celebrated our 5th anniversary twice. He paid for the first meal, and I paid for the second.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/02/16 01:05 AM
My friends and I played a lot of drinking games tonight. angel
I'm excited to celebrate my birthday with Blaze. I already have the perfect restaurant in mind.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/02/16 04:15 AM
I am out of yogurt.
My neck itches.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/02/16 05:55 AM
My cat prefers my other half.
My dog likes sleeping outside. Sometimes he just looks at us when we call. So un-doglike.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/02/16 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Jfposey
My cat prefers my other half.

The Dual Dilemmas of Duela Dent doesn't look as though it's going to be a rebirth book soon frown
I woke up to heavy rain.
It's still Sunday here.
It's still raining here.
It seems it's never the mean kids, the bullies,... It's almost always the foolish, those that cannot make sound decision, probably were never raised to make decisions, and won't listen to advice. Lost another one, this one arrested for murder. Gentle kid, polite kid, can't even imagine him with a gun but just couldn't follow a rule, didn't understand advice...
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/08/16 05:42 PM
When mushrooms rot, do other mushrooms grow on them?
It seems it's never the mean kids, the bullies,... It's almost always the foolish, those that cannot make sound decision, probably were never raised to make decisions, and won't listen to advice. Lost another one, this one arrested for murder. Gentle kid, polite kid, can't even imagine him with a gun but just couldn't follow a rule, didn't understand advice...

I'm so sorry, BB.
I appreciate that. It takes some getting used to it but when it's something like this, for a few days anyhow you'll see the photo in the paper but the mind changes it to how you remember them as 15 year olds as opposed to 19 (yes, that young) year olds. So all you see is a 14-15 year old, dead or accused.
It must be very jarring indeed. I really wish our knowledge of psychology and the human mind and human development would progress to the point where we would know how to diagnose and help people who need help...

Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/09/16 11:22 AM
I went on a five mile hike up a mountain yesterday. We got to sit on the edge of the rock face overlooking a several mile drop. It was like sitting on the edge of the world. smile
I once hiked up one of the tallest mountains in the country. I brought my camera.... but left the battery at home.
Hiking up one of the tallest mountain in the country and forgetting batteries for the camera sucks, generally.
It does indeed. I still get a twinge of pain every time I remember.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/10/16 05:33 PM
Because my birthday always fell around Colombus Day, and my mother is Canadian which means it was their Thanksgiving, nobody wanted to come to my birthday parties when I grew up. Hard to have birthday cake after eating a Thanksgiving dinner without any football to watch. My friends just found it too weird. Thanks Mom.
Aww frown

It is raining here while the sun is shining
My wife also teaches that age group and I can appreciate what you're going through. You try and guide them as much as you can, but in the end it's always up to them.
What does she teach?

Well, they're the ones held for the consequences anyhow.

I'd like to see "decision making" part of the curriculum in these highly single parent, lower income neighborhoods. Guidance is one thing the kids don't have as much but opportunity to practice decision making is most what is lacking basing that on my observations.

Being able to seek and see alternatives is a learned skill, most instruction to be provided at home. Instead, we rely on Darwin. I've got more parents than I can count, working more than one job just to pay rent and basics and try and give their kids something. Unfortunately, it's politic to say they're bad uncaring parents. Some are of course better than others but very few of them are "uncaring" and not trying for their kids.
The first six Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies end the action in the same way. Tarzan initiates an elephant stampede.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/11/16 04:57 PM
Well if a formula works, Hollywood tends to stick with it.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/11/16 05:04 PM
When I was little my best friend had asked if I could go with his family. My mom told me to be on my best behavior and be a gentleman.

When I came home I told my mom I never wanted to see Andrew ever again. He was no longer my friend.

My mom asked why and I between sobs said that I had been really good like she told me and was told I could not have snack.

My mom was confused at first, then she realized what the problem was.

I was invited to my friend's church and they had had communion. At my age we did not see this rite yet in our church and had a real snack while in Sunday school.
I remember seeing a gigantic spider, larger than a dinner plate, in my cousin's dining room once. I threw a shoe at it and ran away.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/12/16 01:34 PM
Just want to interrupt to say that I'm sorry to hear about your former student BB, and can only imagine what that must feel like. I appreciate your sharing it with us.
Thanks. It's one of those things not ever mentioned in "teacher school," the sheer volume of the community that you come in contact with. Between the high school and the college, that's nearly 250 human beings (and that kid in the corner that drives me nuts) this semester. And still, the unexpected can occur.

Since I generally bid the classes which have lower performing students, grade repeaters, I tend to have a lot of males. Think Welcome back Kotter. Third period, emphasis on "period" this year, there's only three of us hardy souls huddled together in fear of a class full of girls. And do they pull out all the "female" stops every chance. One has claimed to be on her period I think for the third week straight. Another loves adjusting her boobs, for effect. Of course belching is a must. They're having a blast "embarrassing us." Oh and did you know that "roll-eyes" is an effective weapon? They do. It's all pretty funny but I think I'm losing even more hair. Every instinct I've got wants to get them quiet, stop the talking and get them working but, observation shows, they do get their work done, it's fair quality and when the problem is particularly challenging, then they quiet and get to it.

I've determined that all their talking and socializing is just their way of filling in the dead-time between my taking breaths.

More random stuff.
I remember seeing a gigantic spider, larger than a dinner plate, in my cousin's dining room once. I threw a shoe at it and ran away.

eek Uh, how big are your dinner plates?
Quite a bit larger than our saucers smile

I was 5 at the time so I may be mis remembering just how large. But I remember it being pretty big...
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/15/16 08:18 PM
Spent the day at Angel Oak Park in Charleston, SC with Carol as she photographed a wedding between some of her friends. Then had lunch at RB's while she was doing the wedding thing two doors down at Tavern and a Table or vice versa.

Got to see a couple of old friends and spend time with them. I got to eat and smoke in the parking lot.

Good day.
Sounds great, rick!

I had some delicious chicken dumplings last night. With mushroom and ham.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/15/16 09:45 PM
My grown ass wife is watching Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/15/16 10:04 PM
My grown ass wife is watching Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Each time you post about your wife, I like her even more!
I loved the Chipmunk Adventure movie, where the Chipmunks and Chipettes race each other around the world.
I fed a peanut to a chipmunk once. It was illegal but I was feeling adventurous.
Sometimes I wonder if elephants really do eat peanuts, or if this is something only true in the cartoons.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/20/16 11:32 AM
No, Elephants eat chipmunks.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/20/16 11:58 AM
And now for something completely different:

[Linked Image]

And here is my inspiration for my Jack O'Lantern this year.

[Linked Image]
I had nachos today. They are soooo gooooood
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/20/16 12:24 PM
I am having broccoli cheddar soup.
I am hungry and sleepy at the same time
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/20/16 01:22 PM
Clown fish all start as males then when the dominant one is determined it becomes the female.
It is cloudy today
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/21/16 09:04 PM
We are having a thunder storm.
It is so hot, I woke up all sweaty and sticky
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/22/16 07:59 AM
I am making homemade Hollandaise sauce this morning. Rich and delicious.
I had some very good dumplings the other day.
I had a good dump the other day.

TMI?
Posted By: Set Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/22/16 07:38 PM
I had a good dump the other day.

TMI?

I guess it's better than not, and having to change your name to Blockage Boy.

Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/22/16 07:59 PM
Maybe he could become a sidekick to Metamucil Man?
It's getting there, lol.
A good dump is hard to find.
You guys must have a different plumbing system.
Sometimes it seems that the entire Philippines has forgotten empathy. In the news and social media seems like everything is us vs. Them.
We've beaten them before, we'll beat them again!

Mexican food today!
This Halloween I am going to put some jelly on my bellybutton and go as a cookie.
We should avoid picking our noses to prevent getting infections.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/29/16 10:39 PM
I had fried clam strips and scallops tonight.
Some of my friends are on a local gay beach now. blaze and I had to stay behind.
The Boyfriend proposed six months ago today. We're getting married in six months.
Yay! so much happens in a year smile
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/30/16 09:54 AM
Bacon, JIF on croissants, blackberry raspberry and grape fruit mix, and egss with texas pete on them. That's a breakfast.
My phone has died on me.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/30/16 01:29 PM
I bought a new slow cocker yesterday.
I bought a new slow cocker yesterday.

TMI
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/30/16 07:00 PM
Well autocorrect certainly can make things interesting when it changes something before you notice.

And BB I will sent those pics of it later. laugh
Posted By: Set Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/30/16 09:52 PM
Gobi kaju, one of my favorite dishes, that I had for lunch today, does not have anything to do with the Gobi desert and does not contain any kaiju.

Still yummy, 'though.

I like cooking dishes from around the world. no Indian dishes yet, but I hve tried Mexican, Japanese, Turkish, Moroccan, Chinese, Chilean, Spanish, Italian...
I turned down a job on Friday and told them I had no interest in leaving academia right now. It was the first time I admitted that to a company recruiting me
I hate it when I drop my gadgets on the floor.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/16 05:24 PM
With the colder weather coming in I am thinking of making roast beef and Yorkshire puddings this weekend. Or herb crusted whole chicken with wild game rice stuffing.
Me and the crew I do short films with may be gearing up for another shoot, and I can't wait to find out!
Posted By: Set Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/16 05:54 PM
With the colder weather coming in I am thinking of making roast beef and Yorkshire puddings this weekend. Or herb crusted whole chicken with wild game rice stuffing.

The chicken sounds delish. Make extra! I'll be right over!

smile

(Can't cook. But I sure can eat!)

Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/16 05:57 PM
Me and my three brothers would watch public TV (back In the day before Food Network) on Sundays and we would pick something to make for dinner. My parents would help if needed but we did all the work.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/31/16 06:49 PM
Added extra tonight it is turkey salad with currants and homemade bread. Yum.
Your sharing is making me hungry.

It's been a while since I cooked. I'm especially proud of my beef tacos.
the maples on my little one block street are the brightest red I've seen in the city. So spectacular when the sun shines through the leaves.
This year, the Federated States of Micronesia and Antigua & Barbuda got their first inscriptions on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/04/16 06:19 AM
My mother was once scouted to be the next Margaret O'Brien while on a train ride. My grandmother declined. And her college roommate was Susan Clark (Webster).
I had a very good meal at this fast food salad place called Craft Salad.for 250 Philippine pesos (about 5 US dollars) I got a salad, soup and half a sandwich
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/04/16 06:32 AM
Turkey burgers tonight. I need something simple.
Starbucks has come out with a Santa Hat Dark Mocha Frappucino
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/04/16 09:09 AM
[Linked Image]

Even though it went unnoticed to the crew and audience, Lucille Ball almost died in front of all of them. The iconic grape-stomping scene is the scene that almost claimed the actress's life. She was choking on a grape but still continue to film the scene and it was not until after the scene was completed that anybody realized she was in desperate need of help
I lost my stress ball.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/04/16 12:13 PM
If you are a cat lover this will make sense to you.

[Linked Image]
As for dogs, just get some doggie treats.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/06/16 02:32 PM
I have always wondered why comics badguys are alway's pg 13 rated badguys.

I know for years that the comics code was a reason, but that's been dead for what... 20 years now?

I've been thinking about it and the story I would tell basically involves a "henchman" convicted when all he was was a hired guard from a legit security firm.

He goes to prison and bad things happen. He comes out, and systemically sets out to visit pain, horror, rape and death on the team that sent him up the river.

I think if I could write one sooooo horrible, maybe it would help end the neverending dark and depressing era.
I'd read that!
I have been noticing the use of double letters in Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, and I can’t unsee them.

01 Edward Bear, known to his friends as Winnie-the-Pooh, or Pooh for short, lived in the forest under the name of Sanders.

02 Piglet, who lived in a beech tree, had a grandfather named Trespassers William. At Kanga’s house, he was known as Henry Pootel.

03 Rabbit has seventeen Friends and Relations.

04 Owl (or Wol), who at first lived at The Chestnuts in the 100 Acre Wood, once had a bell-pull that turned out to be the tail of:

05 Eeyore, the old grey donkey.

06 Tiddley-pom.

07 Heffalumps and Woozles.

08 Kanga and Baby Roo.

09 Tigger says “Worraworraworraworra”.

10 Christopher Robin helped Pooh try to get Hunny from the Bees using a Balloon.

11 All from the pen of Alan Alexander Milne, known to his friends as A. A.
Yellow and white is a nice color combination.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/08/16 01:15 PM
[snip]

I think if I could write one sooooo horrible, maybe it would help end the neverending dark and depressing era.

"Bullwinkle, that trick NEVER works!"
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/08/16 01:16 PM
For jfposey:

Did you know that there are trees on the Boston subway trains? Really. Well, they don't start out as trees, but as people. They board the train and then suddenly they become rooted to a spot. They won't move into the car when more people board. They won't temporarily exit the train to let other riders off. They won't even move a half an inch to let other people by.

Having observed this, my conclusion is that they have become trees and have extended roots into the floor of the train. I presume that the MBTA has people at the last station who dig them up.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/08/16 03:10 PM
Worse are the ones that are like Tolkien's Ents that lumber slowly down or up the stairs or through the tunnels because they cannot turn their heads away from their mobile devices. They crash into someone and do not utter a word of apology. Maybe if we set something like these out for them????

[Linked Image]
There are also the pedestrians who treat each street as a runway. Sometimes you have 2 or 3 walking alongside one another on a busy street, doing their best to exude glamour as they chat with one another, pinkies out, taking selfies...
I've been watching some of the 100 Greatest Looney Tunes, many of which I watched in my childhood.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/12/16 08:39 PM
Things get tense at the local mall when the Legion of Super-Heroes discover their credit card rewards are exempt from purchases made to the Toy Man.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/12/16 08:45 PM
California Santa and his sleigh

He's pretty yummy. Blaze and I approve.

We get some pretty interesting views over the frozen lake when the weather falls towards single digits. Blood red moonrise today.

Fata Morgana.

I'd looked out my window and saw a huge wall of ice on the horizon. This a few Winters ago. Called a friend who lives around the lake (Lake Erie) a bit and asked if he was seeing it. He said he was surprised I never seen one before, that the ice breaks and freezes, breaks and freeze.. and builds those walls. I didn't buy it (I've a background that includes a bit of optics) so I got to googling. Yep, there's a name for it.

Light houses MILES away look like they're down the block or little bumps in the ice become walls. Structures can be seen that are well below the Horizon. Have to see to believe.
A few years ago I went up the tallest mountain in Luzon, Mount Pulag. The weather was great and we were lucky enough to have a sea of clouds spreadin out before us. Imagine the sunrise slowly lighting up clouds all around...

Like so

http://assets.rappler.com/2F175B732...34C42C58/Pulag-Sunrise-201511113-003.jpg
Those are so cool, peaceful.

Saw one on a flight. A flat top layer of clouds above and another flat layer below the plane with perfectly clear skies in the middle. As the sun came up above the lower layer, it lit everything up in wild colors.

Another I recall, this one also on top a mountain, Kinabalu. As sun came up, the twin mountain peaks' shadows traveled the valley floor surrounded by rainbows.

When it's cold like this, it's not only the images that get weird but the sounds. Hard to describe, it's like silence you can hear.
Very poetic BB. Very nice.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/17/16 08:26 AM
This is going to betray me as being just as shallow as people I profess to disapprove of, but what the hell, I no longer care about such things:

[Linked Image]

I only learned to like Sarah McLachlan after she took a few years off between 1999 and 2003 to unwind and become a mother, and then she came back all girly-looking and seemingly having a late-bloomer ball with it.

[Linked Image]

Ironically, the actual songs on her concurrent album, Afterglow, were rather weak (at least the ones chosen as singles), but the videos were delightful, especially "Stupid", where she plays the reincarnation of the same woman over the centuries, including one scream of a sequence set in the tacky 70s:

But the whole brilliant bit of self-publicizing became my gateway towards listening to her earlier songs without preconceptions, and finding a lot of them to my liking.

So maybe I am kind of shallow, but lately I feel I've been going through an awakening similar to what I imagine she went through around the beginning of the 2000s (minus the motherhood piece.) I'm almost 10 years older than she was at that time, but better late than never, I guess.

One key bit of trivia: when Sarah was in high school in the early-mid 80s, she was known affectionately to her friends as..."Boy George." I think that says a lot.

Shine on, Sarah, shine on.

[Linked Image]
I had some very good pasta today. Sometimes I think I need to start dieting. But then I always go on to think that I can start in January...
Posted By: matlock Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/19/16 03:17 PM
I shook some m&m's out of a bag earlier today. 6 came out, one of each color. There were only 5 red ones in the whole bag total, and an average of 55 pieces in a bag. I don't know where that puts the odds but they seem fairly long.

Related, I was bored at work last year and tracked the distribution by color of 10 straight bags of m&m's. Orange and blue were dominant, making up about half the bag.
I would compute for the probability of that, but I hate making those computations.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/20/16 07:44 AM
On Dec. 20, 1946, the Frank Capra film "It's A Wonderful Life," starring James Stewart and Donna Reed, had a preview showing for charity at New York's Globe Theatre, a day before its official world premiere.
I like cheese and chocolate.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/24/16 10:01 AM
Having temporarily rechristened myself Fanfie Claus for the weekend, I now demand that Ruth Pointer, the awesome-est of the Pointer Sisters who found her amazing deeper range circa 1983-85, and used it to exhilarating effect on her group's most popular tunes, record a cover of this tasty & timeless Louis Armstrong Christmas chestnut, with lyrics & title altered to "Zat you, Fanfie Claus?"

I watched the Tiny Toons: How I Spent My Vacation movie. Still worth 1.5 hours' of good entertainment.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/25/16 04:01 PM
Did that poor deceased guy from the Beastie Boys fall ill before or after someone showed him this:

Also, how can you have a hockey team w/o a single French guy on it? I call shenanigans!
Ugh, sweaters.

Now Blaze and I would rather go without.

Because it's sexy. We just finished checking out this very buff guy whom we suspected was gay. Turns out he is, he is Filipino and has an Australian boyfie who is also totes buff and they have the same profile pic and similar uber buff bods and now that's our new boyfriend goal and I feel terrible for eating so much during Christmas bah!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/26/16 02:10 PM
Sounds like the best Xmas ever... to me. laugh
I'll send you pics wink
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/27/16 12:11 PM
gasp It's a good thing I've already sat down. gasp

Aaaanyway... one of the great joys of unemployment is the time it frees up for tinkering with stuff. I was at a record store in the fall, and had to buy a record I broke when I carelessly set in on an angled surface. It rolled out of its sleeve and onto the concrete floor. A chip about 3/4" popped out.

From tooling around eWikiHow, I learned techniques for repairing the break. It worked, too! The record still plays, though there's some noise where the repair is. And you have to handle it very gently now, of course.

I also tried some last-ditch CD repairs. Those didn't go so well. But mr_cleome has a more forgiving player than I do. So he transferred them onto thumb drive for me.
Philippine formal wear for men is called a Barong Tagalog. It is considerably cooler and more comfortable than a suit and tie.
I have been completely (well, for me) lazy this past week.
I need to start working on writing but...

Well at least I've made it to the gym pretty regularly this past week (hmmm... just realizing these might be related points)
I am working on my French. I started taking some German and Spanish, then realized how hard it is to learn so many languages at the same time.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/28/16 09:03 AM
I took a year of German in school last year.
I like German beers.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/28/16 01:12 PM
After all these years, I still find Chet Baker to be one of the most annoying & overrated vocalists on Earth. Even when I play The Other Side of 'Round Midnight, one of my all-time favorite discs, I have to skip over his appearance.
Vanuatu is the country with the highest density of languages per capita in the world: it currently shows an average of about 1760 speakers for each indigenous language, of which there are at least 138.
I have had a cold since Monday. It is getting better but not gone yet.
Get well soon. Or, enjoy it while you got it. Great excuse to take mild drugs and slather on some Vicks.

Asbach Brandy: yum.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/30/16 05:40 PM
Found some fruit in the back of the crisper that should've gone off weeks ago. Yet it looks perfectly okay inside. I'm gonna' eat it, because I live on the edge. Also, there's that whole always-broke thing.
Interesting link

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/food_poisoning/page5_em.htm#what_is_the_treatment_for_food_poisoning
From Wikipedia: The Sarimanok is a legendary bird of the Maranao people who originate from Mindanao, a major island in the Philippines. It comes from the words “sari” and “manok.” "Sari" means cloth or garment, which is generally of assorted colors. manok means "chicken".
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/31/16 10:59 AM
I am making chili this year for the "beans for luck" for the New Years. We used to have lentils. I hate lentils. But I could not used the habenaro peppers since I would be the only one to eat it then. Plus I got to use my new slow cooker for the first time.

[Linked Image]
Lentils are great when you need to poop. My introduction to lentils was Outward Bound, where we had to carry three weeks of foods. Dried lentils and peas, light and nutritious. Don't have a great need to see another one.

New Year: In pre-Christian Rome under the Julian calendar, the day was dedicated to Janus, god of gateways and beginnings, for whom January is also named.

No crystal balls here. We drop a big walleye.

Happy New Year Legion Worlders.
In Metro Manila, even private individuals set off their own fireworks displays. This is an old video, but the scene is reproduced year on year on year

http://infinitelegroom.com/2015/01/...-year-with-an-incredible-fireworks-show/
Jfposey is Earth-Prime's Oliver Queen
I had a classmate named Oliver who vanished in third grade. Never did find out where he went.
In Metro Manila, even private individuals set off their own fireworks displays. This is an old video, but the scene is reproduced year on year on year

http://infinitelegroom.com/2015/01/...-year-with-an-incredible-fireworks-show/

Pretty much the same here but moreso on July 4. After the main fireworks, secondary displays line both sides of the river coming out of the neighborhoods. It's quite a site. One of our bridges is high, so freighter can pass under. From up there, it's pretty much a 360 of fireworks. All illegal of course, lol.
Ah well. The light show is nice while it lasts, even though it is illegal.

I was in LA for the Fourth of July. I badly wanted to see the fireworks. Unfortunately my boss made me work that day... and I missed everything. No fireworks in my area and I couldn't get to any parks in time.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/01/17 03:02 PM
My poor husband is ringing in the new with a bad headcold. Poor guy.

If he hasn't handed it off to me by next week, it'll be a miracle.

Still better than that pre-marriage year where he spent New Year's weekend with the stomach flu, though. Yuck!

InfectiousLass
Blaze and I have a bottle of beer beside our bed.
I was going to drink that beer
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/01/17 06:20 PM
We saw the movie "Jaws" in the theater when we were little. Four boys. The youngest had just became potty trained.

Anyways, when we got home we (the three older brothers) placed our GI Joe shark in the toilet and when the youngest went near we would do the Dunnah Dunnah Dunnah sounds. Mom was wondering why he was back to not using the toilet. Well she went to clean it and saw the shark floating in it and we took off running...

Memories...
I have friends, four brothers. They get into those kinds of shenanigans as well. It's usually the eldest and the youngest who are the victims.
I just got a "pro" designation for SDCC because I teach comic book courses. Hoping this means I can actually get tickets!
Yay Myg!

I still regret not going to SDCC when I had the chance.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/05/17 03:11 PM
I can't decide what to have for lunch. hmmm
I have to start working out again. I've been doing a lot of walking lately, but no lifting.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/09/17 05:08 PM
During one of my frequent yard sale visits last summer, I bought a small bottle of after-bath splash/eau de toilette with a leaf on the box. It was in a big bin of junk marked "50 cents" and it smelled nice so I thought why not. Then I forgot about it for months. In summer, there's really not much point to wearing even mild scents. You just sweat it off in ten minutes and make yourself more attractive to mosquitoes and other sting-y things. shake

So I found the little box with the bottle inside while doing a New Year's cleanup, and started using it. I quickly fell in love, ran through most of the bottle, and went to google the name online. Only to find out this tiny bottle retails for $30 bucks and up, without shipping.

shake Don't even ask what the big bottle goes for.

If I'd known from the start how much it was worth, I would've ebayed it myself. But of course, if I'd done that, I'd never have found out how great it is. shrug Whadaya' gonna' do?
My feet got wet the other day.
I am having a very quiet winter break
I have some new international crushes
I miss my ex
Me, too. (Not your ex. My own--both of them.)
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/11/17 12:25 PM
Six inches of snow here. The most I've seen in about 9 or 10 years. I went out at 1 AM with a broom and smacked as much white stuff as I could off the camelia bushes. The poor things were nearly bent double and I was afraid they would snap in two.

No shoveling 'til after coffee, though.
The story about two gay Iraqis who found love and eventually made it safely to the USA to get married made me want to cry

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38..._campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook
Watching the U.S. news makes me want to cry right now. But probably for different reasons than yours, Ibby
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/12/17 01:25 PM
I just put a small blueberry-cinnamon coffee cake in the oven. The cookbook calls it "Blueberry Boy Bait," which is officially the best recipe name ever.

FruitBoy Charma
I had plenty of French wine and cheese tonight.
I seriously want Blueberry Boy Bait in my life
Excuse my lack of randomness, Myg. But doesn't everyone?
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/13/17 07:45 PM
I was able to eat pizza for the first time in two weeks after suffering the stomach flu.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/14/17 11:43 AM
Hey, the sun's out! If not for the six inches of snow, I could totally do some yardwork today! tongue
I slipped and fell on the road the other day because of the ice.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/15/17 06:13 PM
I was listening to my new Michael Buble CD when Bobby was upstairs playing the exact same song on the piano.
Things I am going to miss about living in the U.S.

The state flags.

Maryland’s looks like it was designed by Duela Dent.

I’ve always liked Virginia’s, because it has a ¼-naked woman on it.
Plus, appreciate the motto.

And I have to leave behind my extensive CD collection. Well, CD’s are pretty much over, I guess, what with streaming, etc.
Hurray! The Boston Celtic won the Stanley Cup 98 years after last winning it!

I love sports!
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/06/17 09:32 PM
Where you headed to Klar? I hadn't heard you were moving.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/08/17 02:19 PM
In my memory, the singer illuminating this instructional had lower vocal intonation. In spite of that, I still smile and give a not-involuntary, "Beep beep."

I miss my dogs.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/09/17 08:55 PM
I really hate that I now suffer from winter skin. Ah, youth, you gave betrayed me yet again.
I hate FOMO (feeling of missing out).
I was almost horrified by a raw egg on top of carbonara pasta. My friends told me that was normal for carbonara...apparently most American restaurants mix it for you due to our fears of consuming raw eggs.
I miss Philippine beaches
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/14/17 06:25 PM
I have a headache after a tense board meeting at a clinic ... on Valentine's Day
I have just seen a clip featuring Milo Yiannopoulos. I never have to listen to him ever again
I feel out of touch with the world. I'm so immersed in my studies.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/18/17 04:48 PM
I feel out of touch with the world. I'm so immersed in my studies.

That's how I've felt with Legion World lately. sigh
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/18/17 05:51 PM
I went to a Holi festival today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holi

I totally LOVED it. The dancing, the clothes, the food, and, of course, the colors!

Also, I've always felt a certain affinity with East Indians. I'm exotic enough that I don't stand out in an East Indian crowd, and I find they're usually much nicer to me than far too many of my fellow Latin Americans are.

Also, I've crushed on lots of Indian celebrities, male and female alike. To give but one single example, to this day I still have dreamy memories of the Indian-English actor Naveen Andrews in his mid-1990s prime.

Oddly enough, I've never really been into Bollywood movies. I much prefer slice-of-life Indian stories, or when Indian filmmakers show us their own perspectives on Western cultures (i.e., Mira Nair's TV movie "Hysterical Blindness", about two Jersey girls in 1987 played by Uma Thurman & Juliette Lewis, or Shekhar Kapur's two movie about Queen Elizabeth starring Cate Blanchett, especially the first.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/18/17 06:50 PM
Glad you had fun, Fanfie. It's been quite a few years since I last attended a Holi celebration, mostly because of how annoying it is to wash out all the color afterwards! wink
I hear there's a Holi celebration being planned near where I am smile There are quite a few Indian nationals hereabouts.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/20/17 11:26 PM
I have just seen a clip featuring Milo Yiannopoulos. I never have to listen to him ever again

We knew we could count on your good judgment, Quis. flag
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/20/17 11:33 PM
Did up a nice vegetarian stew tonight. Just winter veggies in broth w/crusty bread and horseradish sauce on the side.
Originally Posted by cleome50
Did up a nice vegetarian stew tonight. Just winter veggies in broth w/crusty bread and horseradish sauce on the side.
Sounds yummy!
I have a job interview at Cal State San Marcos March 6 & 7!!!
It's definitely the perfect job for me - let's see if they agree!

(On another note, am I ready to leave NYC?)
I have a job interview at Cal State San Marcos March 6 & 7!!!
It's definitely the perfect job for me - let's see if they agree!

(On another note, am I ready to leave NYC?)

Good Luck!
Good luck!

I hate math.
I find the restaurant to be the best part of the casino. Slot games online have taken away some of the grandeur of spinning slots and placing bets.
I swear this guy in class is flirting with me. He tried looking at the logo on my shirt, and almost touched it. And the logo is on my chest...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/22/17 11:57 AM
This batch of granola I made yesterday has cherries, pineapple, currants, pecans, and walnuts in it. It's aces.

MatterEaterLad
I have had alcohol twice this week, and I still survived. I made some very stupid mistakes on my exams and homework though, but the impact is quite small.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/23/17 01:06 PM
IB, you're an inspiration even to us grumpy, sober types.

I want this book:

https://vimeo.com/205349029
Oh. Wow. I've just been asked to join the editorial board of a new queer studies book series at Rutgers University Press with the intent of making me series editor in year 2!!!!!!

Is. This. Real?
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/23/17 09:56 PM
What authors or books? Fiction, nonfiction, etc.?
IB, you're an inspiration even to us grumpy, sober types.

I want this book:

https://vimeo.com/205349029

Merci beaucoup cleome.

As some say, the main point of studying abroad is to make connections and meet new people!
What authors or books? Fiction, nonfiction, etc.?
academic art/pop culture collections ... 2 a year for 5 years
I wish I were moving to Montreal...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/25/17 12:00 AM
Mini-irises are blooming, along with the crocuses. A whole bunch of other stuff is sprouting.

ChlorophyllKid
I had some kiwi today.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/28/17 12:24 PM
I had some broccoli today.
I am finally back in the gym after being overwhelmed with other commitments since Friday
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/02/17 01:11 PM
I want to strip down some cast iron cookware & refinish it. But the correct substance for doing so is-- lye!! Arrgghh!! Really don't want to mess with that in my tiny work space. I guess I'll try Naval Jelly first. It's messy but at least I already have it on hand.

sigh
I am strongly considering binge-playing the Star Wars Lego Phantom Menace parts so I can finish that part of my guide. I feel so bad.
I had some expired cheese today.
I accidentally banged my head on my desk today. It really hurt and I feel a little weird.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/08/17 12:51 AM
It's nice to be nice, but sometimes you have to stand your ground.

Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I accidentally banged my head on my desk today. It really hurt and I feel a little weird.

So sorry to hear that, sweetie. If you still feel that way within the next hour, I suggest seeing a doctor immediately. Take care and feel better soon. hug

Feel better soon, Emily!

I hate when I bang my head on things.
When I was a kid, we used little rhymes to determine who was "it" in our games.

One went like this:

My mother and your mother were hanging out clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose. What color was the blood?
(person pointed to at that point would name a color)
R E D means you are it.
The driver of our car forgot to put the hand brake up, and we almost crashed into the convenience store.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/12/17 01:09 PM
Who was the driver, one of the Blues Brothers?

(Seriously, though, glad you guys are okay.)
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/13/17 01:10 AM
After having some in a quiche for brunch and then as a side for dinner today, I have some serious asparagus pee.
Ahhhh I get the apartment to myself this week. And we might be in for a snowstorm. So I get to be HOME ALONE. YESSSSS.....
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/13/17 03:27 AM
Sounds like fun, Andy! Time to break out the booze, eh? wink
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/13/17 06:19 AM
Today it was 60 F and sunny, so of course I'm celebrating with a major allergy attack. Whee(ze).
Blaze is sick and it worries me.
Who was the driver, one of the Blues Brothers?

(Seriously, though, glad you guys are okay.)

Someone whom I will never allow to drive my car tongue

Thanks, Fanfie.
Sounds like fun, Andy! Time to break out the booze, eh? wink

Hmmmm... When does the booze go away?

LOL we have a pretty densely stocked bar because we have parties every other month
I had a good job interview in San Diego last week... fingers crossed!

Someone find out if the Luck Lords are on my side on this one!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/13/17 06:57 PM
Once, Andy was unhappy at his job.

Twice, he relocated.

Thrice, he shall at last find the home of his heart.

LuckLords
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/13/17 08:47 PM
I just made the second round interview for an internship. Luck Lords, bless me with whatever you're sending Andy's way! LuckLords
Whoooo! Slay em Kappa!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/13/17 09:38 PM
All the best for it Binky!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/13/17 09:55 PM
Positive vibes heading your way, Kappa.
Alright, Kappa, let's get this!
Once, Andy was unhappy at his job.

Twice, he relocated.

Thrice, he shall at last find the home of his heart.

LuckLords

Here's to the Luck Lords~
I am now inspired to work in the tech start-up industry.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/19/17 03:50 PM

Oh wow
So many good bits there

Though when Robin yelled "Holy manhole!" .... I died
I'm trying to be patient ... waiting to hear from the job in San Diego ... am I ready to leave NYC?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/19/17 04:47 PM
San Diego, epicenter of all things LMB?! Of course you are.

Originally Posted by Myg
Though when Robin yelled "Holy manhole!" .... I died

hmmm
Manholes. Heh.
I got the job at Cal State San Marcos!!!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/23/17 06:53 PM
YAY, ANDY

Congratulations!!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/23/17 06:56 PM
BouncingBoy
I got the job at Cal State San Marcos!!!

Congrats
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/23/17 10:32 PM
Many congratulations Andy!
THANKS, Everyone!!!!
Congrats Andy!!!!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/25/17 12:54 PM
Congrats, Andy! cheers
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/25/17 04:14 PM
What am I doing up at 9 AM on a Saturday?

shake

I have NO idea.
I'm too tired to study today, even though I have 3 finals coming up.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/27/17 02:26 PM
I seem to be quite popular with the gay Chinese men on campus.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/28/17 03:19 PM
It's that time of year again.

Spoiler: these days I'm more into the Ferrero Rocher eggs personally, but y'know... shrug It's the spirit that counts.
I had some tinned pineapples and mangoes. I do miss tropical fruits. But I love how peaches and strawberries are much cheaper here
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/28/17 10:40 PM
On a late night radio show, the host hears the stories of other late night people cruising the shortwave frequencies and bouncing midnight boradcasts off the moon. He recalls his own late night radio experience as a youngster and the Stranglers' Peaches can be heard distantly and the host of that show mentioning that it didn't get much airplay.

That would be due to the suggestive content.
I need coffee...
Coffee!!!!
I'm in DC managing a large lobbying effort (HIV, in this case). Remembering why this city seems easy to live in, but seeing its limits - and I'm glad I left it after grad school.
There is a very cute Venezuelan guy in the class above me.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/29/17 04:19 PM
I don't know if I'm hardcore enough to go out and garden in the rain and mud today. Maybe if I bribe myself by clipping some flowers and bringing them inside. Poor things are really taking a beating from the wind and rain. Of course, if they're inside, they'll have to deal with The Sid and his plant-munching ways. Streaky Dilemmas... dilemmas...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/29/17 04:20 PM

Don't you think you should let him down now?

Old ones are remembered because they're good ones.
Originally Posted by thoth lad

Don't you think you should let him down now?

I'm trying to be nice wink
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/30/17 06:34 PM
I feel bad for the big dog who lives with the neighbors catty-corner to us. They leave him out all the time, even in bad weather. He's not chained up and has room in his enclosure to walk around, but you can tell he's bored and would love some attention, or at least another animal for company.
I saw two deer on campus the other day. It's a very big campus, and there's a somewhat creepy path through the forest, and two lakes.
You can't post just the letter "s"
I ate a lot today. studying for finals is draining.
I hope to sit down this weekend and finish the first part of my Lego Star Wars Walkthrough. Oh, procrastination, how did you find me?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/01/17 01:56 AM
Emily, sweetie, be assured you are not alone as someone who's encountered that heartless cad Procrastination, with all the unfortunate repercussions.

Maybe we should team up to get revenge on Mr. Procrastination, like in that movie "Chasing Papi."

I get to be Sofia Vergara's barmaid character.
There is a girl in class who keeps flirting with a lot of us guys, including two of us gay men. I don't think she realizes we are gay.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/01/17 04:00 PM
My Finance finals were horrible
Got to hang out with Quis on Saturday! Even in the crap snow, Quis showed me the lovely Boston Public Library
Yay! love
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/03/17 03:57 PM
There's a YouTube channel of nothing but "lost" Spike Jones videos. My life is now complete.

I lost my water bottle.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/04/17 01:32 AM
I forgot to check the weather today and got drenched.
I have three apples in my backpack
I got my work contract for my new university today!
So I get to send in my resignation to my current one!!!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/04/17 03:06 PM
[applause]

Time to give away more dug up plants on craigslist. I feel bad about thinning runaway plants & just throwing them in the dumpster. Just glad they're plants & not kittens or puppies. gasp
My ear hurt just now
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/04/17 05:59 PM
Found out that Mr Mind had escaped from his jar again. I hope the little wormy rascal hasn't got into anyone's ear...
Ear worm!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/04/17 08:47 PM
"'Cuz an earthworm's a hard worker
In your neighborhood (3X)
Yes, an earthworm's a hard worker
In your neighborhood (3X)
It's the one you want the most
When it's time to make compost
'Cuz it's out there working hard, each dayyyyy!"

ChlorophyllKid FruitBoy PlantLad

--From Sesame Street: The Lost Episodes, and I'm sorry I've helped de-randomize the thread but I caved to peer pressure.
I had wine and beer again today...
I signed my new work contract and resigned from my current post today!!!!
Good for you Andy.

It was nice seeing you on Saturday. It would have been nicer without the storm. Still you braved the weather when I dragged you to the Boston Public Library.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/05/17 04:45 PM
Stolon is a fancy name for the runners that plants put out to propagate themselves: either above or below ground.
A solon is a word for a congress-person
Which probably comes from Solon the Athenian statesman
Today, I am taking my most spontaneous international trip ever
Today I woke up to a bathroom that had exploded from a leak in the ceiling. Sigh.
I think I lost my boyfriend...
Oh NOOOO!!! What's going on, Ibby?
You ok?
Yeah, he is fine. just got stuck in a line... but he really got me worried!!

we are abroad so we don't have a cellular service, and i couldn't contact him!

thanks for the concern Andy, and sorry for worrying you too
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/06/17 05:10 PM
No more worries & no more exploding pipes, please. Only calming times & good will for all.

Or not. Remember what T.S. Eliot said about April. Or was that George Eliot. Oh never mind.

Yes, boyfriends need to come with GIS trackers. It's only fair.
Arguments are common. Handling them well is rare.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/08/17 02:53 PM
sigh Looks like one of my good tools was lost (or stolen) this week. I'll have to replace it. shake
I have had some excellent French wines and Belgian beers this past week
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/09/17 05:41 PM
Just looked out the window to see a squirrel stuffing its face at the bird feeder. Now I'll need to fit it with a longer cord. Death to squirrels! mad
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/09/17 06:01 PM
Just looked out the window to see a squirrel stuffing its face at the bird feeder. Now I'll need to fit it with a longer cord. Death to squirrels! mad

"That trick never works."

wink

grin

hug

love
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/09/17 06:08 PM
lol I chased it away, but you know it just ran down the block to tell all its friends and write our house up in the Fodor's Guide To Fine Dining For Globe-Trotting Squirrels.
Posted By: Pov Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/09/17 06:26 PM
My niece conned me into buying the full version of MINECRAFT for my PC during her sleepover... I don't think she's grasped the amount of leverage she's given me. "Why are you giving Mama/Grandma/your teacher such a hard time??? Do I need to log onto MINECRAFT and start slaughtering your horses?" Devil lol
I am seriously considering buying a bunch of DC themed candy from Sugar Factory and reviewing them here. Does that sound like a good or bad idea? I know my dentist would say that is a bad idea...
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I am seriously considering buying a bunch of DC themed candy from Sugar Factory and reviewing them here. Does that sound like a good or bad idea? I know my dentist would say that is a bad idea...

Errr... depends how it tastes, Em!

I am SOOOOOO anxious about moving
I got my ticket! As of May 21, I will be a resident of San Diego!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/13/17 10:16 PM
Yay Andy.

Something else else random: I've got the late 70s song "Since You Been Gone" (one of the few songs to have been recorded by two teen twin sisters (Cherie & Marie Currie) AND a hard-rock band (Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow) )stuck in my head at the moment. Fortunately, I love the song.

As for the similarly titled Kelly Clarkson song, no comment.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/14/17 01:45 AM
I got my ticket! As of May 21, I will be a resident of San Diego!

That's awesome! smile
The rain in France is not mainly on the plains
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/14/17 05:11 PM
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/14/17 05:13 PM
sigh Looks like one of my good tools was lost (or stolen) this week. I'll have to replace it. shake

Update: found it.

Everything in my garage needs to be festooned with red duct tape so my rapidly-declining eyes can do better at locating. sigh

Still, that's 20 or 30 bucks saved after all, so... yay?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/14/17 06:29 PM

Update: found it.

Everything in my garage needs to be festooned with red duct tape so my rapidly-declining eyes can do better at locating. sigh

Still, that's 20 or 30 bucks saved after all, so... yay?

Definitely YAY!

With a dollop of HOORAH.
The sun was so strong today
Off to a 3 hour open bar boat cruise with other LGBT academics ... nothing could go wrong, right?
Even now that I am studying and not working, I can't get out of the habit of checking my emails frequently.
Yes, packing. This needs to happen
I rarely watch movies.
My dog is so patient in the morning
I think I caught a bug again. Sigh.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/19/17 03:04 PM
[airlifts Ibby some nice hot soup]

While I was working outside yesterday, several people stopped to compliment the flowers. That was nice. cool
Aw, thanks cleome smile

glad your garden is getting the appreciation it deserves.
Cleome Garden Appreciation Week!!!!!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/20/17 02:40 PM
[does victory lap]

Drinking my Peruvian Roast coffee black this morning. It's so light, it doesn't even need milk.

BTW, that "Not Your Mom? Not Your Milk" poster campaign of PETA's makes sense until... you realize that a coconut tree or a field of soy isn't your Mom any more than Bossy The Cow is.

confused

Still, they kept the T&A, the tasteless Holocaust references, and the fatpbhobia out of it... so... progress, PETA! Carry on!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/20/17 04:17 PM
But my mom is a coconut tree! - Swamp Thing
Apparently, the Philippines is the second largest producer of coconuts.

Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/24/17 02:28 PM
Nothin' says "Happy Freakin' Monday" like finding that the socks you hung up to dry in plenty of time yesterday are still damp this morning. sigh
I love cheese. And peanut butter. But not necessarily together.
In a month I will be living in San Diego ... Oh.
The cold did bother me anyway
I should be working on a paper
I swear I have too much going on in my life now.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/26/17 03:51 AM
I should be cooking the white beans I soaked so I can make veggie spread tomorrow, but I'm lazy.
Apparently I have spring allergies
I am not excited at ALL about moving to San Diego this month
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/05/17 03:55 PM
Jeez, look at the "Who's Online Now" banner. We've all been turned Cargggian and no one even warned me!

TriplicateGirl
I never knew standing and recording swimming times could be so tiring
Binge watching Sense8... me? Yes...
The Hanging Coffins of Sagada are placed as such because locals believe, that the higher up the bodies are, the closer they would be to spirits.

There are also practical reasons - keeping the bodies out of reach of dogs and enemies, and preventing water from seeping into the coffins (unlike if they were underground).
6 more posts and I will be exactly 6,000 posts behind Invisible Brainiac
And from the post count, it looks like Legion World itself is getting close to a million posts
The humidity in Paris, in spring, is crazy.
I've been under the weather the last couple days ... during my moving week ... yes this has thrown a wrench in some plans
There is a large fly in my classroom
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/17/17 02:07 PM
I need to buy more veggies.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/27/17 08:01 PM
A White Supremacist stabbed two men to death yesterday on the train. They were trying to defend two young Muslim women he was threatening. A third man was injured but assisted by other Good Samaritans. He's expected to survive.

This is minutes from where I live: a place I pass all the time. I feel sick. frown
I'm so sorry, cleome.

This kind of craziness could happen anywhere. It's sad that some humans can be amazing, and some can be horrible.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/28/17 07:33 PM
Yeah. hug

There was a vigil last night. People brought candles and flowers. Some surviving family members spoke, but I missed that part. Attendees were invited to take the mike and speak afterwards, but I didn't. "I feel sick" is not an inspiring message to deliver to people in mourning.
We all mourn in our own ways. I do think it helps to know that others feel similarly.
Wow, cleome
That's intense

What a crazy tragedy
Sorry to hear that was near you, Cleome.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/09/17 04:56 AM
Thanks, Dave. hug
I realize how attached I can get to people. When I meet people who are accepting and not bigoted at all, or when I am part of a group with high levels of acceptance and psychological safety, I get more attached. Back home I had to keep hiding who I am, so it just feels like a gigantic relief to be able to be myself.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/09/17 06:02 PM
We wouldn't want ya' any other way, Doll.

In other news, pineapple-leaf fibers can be woven/pressed/processed into cloth or faux leather that's less environmentally taxing than real leather or petroleum-based alternatives.

Heh. Gives new meaning to phrases like "fruit leather" or [ahem] "Unexpected fruit."

Thora FruitBoy Grimbor

http://www.ananas-anam.com/pinatex
aw cleome, you are so wonderful. thanks!

it's raining outside right now
I think I'm finally signing a lease this week.
I attended the most amazing cello concert today.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/13/17 04:15 PM
I want this Gil-Veloso Collaboration in the worst way, but no... I have to move some discs out of here before I can buy myself anything new. sigh I have a box of over 20 CDs that could be traded or donated, but I haven't checked to make sure they're all backed up on a drive yet.
i have tasted chocolate from Madagascar, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, São Tomé and Principe.
Shared this on Facebook.

Thought about this today. One of our dogs, Pooch, liked to lie on the kitchen floor in a patch of sunlight. After a while the patch of light would move (because of the Earth's rotation - as if you didn't know) Pooch would sometimes try to drag the patch of sunlight back to where she was laying.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/19/17 01:04 AM
I'm thinking of getting a cybernetic eye...
Three and five make eight
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/23/17 06:17 PM
Your Fat Friend is a pretty darn good writer.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/23/17 06:44 PM
My wife has a sword. Its name is Bug Death....B.D., for short. She occasionally has used it to slay pests in the house, usually the stray palmetto bug.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/23/17 11:06 PM
I guess while we still had Ambush Bug, this couldn't have been a user-name due to all the potential for misunderstandings. grin
Originally Posted by Paladin
My wife has a sword. Its name is Bug Death....B.D., for short. She occasionally has used it to slay pests in the house, usually the stray palmetto bug.

she must have some pretty good hand eye coordination! I can't imagine using a sword to slay bugs. those electric racket-type zappers, sure, but a sword..: I would probably miss all the time
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/24/17 02:46 PM
I've always hated both Cheers and Friends and every damn character therein. OK, I did find a few episodes of Frazier mildly funny, but that's it.
Easy One-Banana Banana Bread Cupcakes inna Blender

Ingredients

* 1 over-ripe banana
* 1 tbsp butter
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* Pinch of salt
* 1 egg (no shell)
* ¼ cup of crushed pinapple

Method

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place all ingredients in the Magic Bullet (or other small blender) and blend until smooth.
Pour evenly into six cupcake cups in a cupcake tin.
Bake for 35 minutes.

Makes six (6) cupcakes.
A tisket, a tasket, a green and yellow basket
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 09/27/17 05:29 PM
I'm thrilled beyond words that my art account has been updated after a whopping 6 (!!!) years.

What can I say? When I get a block, I really get a block. But it's over now. cool
^ that makes me happy smile
I've been with the same company for 18 years. I've been in the same position at work for 10. In the next few weeks, either one or both of those things definitively changes.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 09/28/17 05:38 PM
^ that makes me happy smile

cheers

If you want a card, DM me. They're not that expensive to ship, even overseas.

in other news: I made chocolate ice cream with Bailey's (well, knockoff Bailey's), toasted pecans, and bittersweet chocolate shavings. It's going fast! MatterEaterLad
aww, that's so thoughtful cleome. perhaps when I have settled down semi-permanently wink

Blaze and I had a bottle of Bailey's for our anniversary love I LOVE Bailey's!
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
I've been with the same company for 18 years. I've been in the same position at work for 10. In the next few weeks, either one or both of those things definitively changes.

Good luck with the talks!
People are freaking Unbelievable! Morning crowded subway train. Three people with big backpacks on. Each is easily the thickness of another person. And they took them off and set them between their legs, making room for other people.

Ha! And you thought I was complaining!
I have a very passive-aggressive, overbearing and emotionally abusive classmate. I'm learning how to stand up for myself.
I'm realizing that starting a new job - as awesome as it is - is still a stressful transition
Raindrops were falling on my head
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/02/17 11:17 PM
I have to go back to work in a week and I don't know if I am ready.
I wish I could go to the bar with my friends, but I'm not done with homework yet
Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on July 4 1826, the fiftieth anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. A mutual friend, Benjamin Rush, had a dream that they would die close together in time.
Blue and green go well together
I have a new piece up in an exhibit - premieres this weekend!
I'm excited and a little nervous
I have a new piece up in an exhibit - premieres this weekend!
I'm excited and a little nervous

Very good.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/04/17 08:53 PM
Way to go, Myg! cheers
Nice!!!
Thanks! It's always difficult making work public - in whatever medium one works
It’s tough finding companies willing to sponsor work visas for you...
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/13/17 08:31 PM
James Van Der Beek is the voice of Vampirina's father on Vampirina on the Disney channel...
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/14/17 12:39 AM
Just saw IT with the family at the movie theatre. We laughed and joked (quietly in a nearly empty room) the entire way through. I thought the girl looked like Amy Adams and the "home school" looked like Mykelita Williams. If they don't get them for the adult roles in the sequel, they will have missed out.
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/14/17 01:40 AM
I still do not own a cellphone.
I have a hangnail
Winston Churchill admitted to experimenting with same-sex sex. He stated that he didn't like it.
Some of the MBA students I meet are so hot, muscular and fit. How do they do it???
One of our dogs is more like a cat. He often hides in corners or under the bed so nobody can disturb him. And quite often, when I get home, he is the only one who does not rush down to greet me - but he will approach if I open the fridge.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/14/17 05:11 PM
(IB, we used to have a cat who I swear wanted to be a dog. He would actually follow you around the house whining if you didn't pick him up and pet him. He would also fetch and return little crumpled up balls of paper you threw across the room for him.)

Hey, LW. I've done what everyone dreams of doing: I've located my Stone Age origins without having to pay for one of those DNA-search-type things! See?

https://www.theonion.com/archaeologists-unearth-ancient-clay-pot-shards-from-dwe-1820432216
So I just finished reading a book on Edwin Stanton, the Secretary of War for Lincoln. The book reminded me of how much I hate Gen George McClellan. He was the head of the Union army at the start of the Civil War. Basically he never attacked. He would say he was chasing retreating Confederate soldiers but he never did. He never made a mistake, according to himself, and everyone else was to blame. There was a quote aboiut McClellan attributed to Stanton (although the author doubts it, but thinks Stanton would have agreed with it) "McClellan could have a million men. He would claim the enemy had 2 million men. He would then sit in the mud and ask for 3 million men."
I’m having wine while listening to a business leader speak
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 11/16/17 12:01 PM
The two dogs on Puppy Dog Pals are named Bingo and Rolly.
I’m developing a resistance to caffeine
I keep seeing clickbait articles titled something like "Mark Hamill Reveals Secrets of Upcoming Star Wars Movie."

Mark Hamill has been lying about the content of upcoming Star Wars movies in interviews for forty years. It is part of his schtick. Doesn't everyone know that already?

(He also likes to relate amusing anecdotes of things that happened on-set that never actually happened. The late Carrie Fisher amused herself by calling him out on that stuff repeatedly.)
Paris is magical after midnight
My class voted me "most likely to cry during graduation".

But then, that's because when I'm drunk, I keep telling them how awesome they are for making me feel comfy being all gay in front of them.
On average, Blaze and I trip the smoke alarm in our apartment once a week.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/07/18 04:35 PM
And how often is such an event followed by one of you saying the alarm was triggered because the other is smokin' hot?
I would answer that, but then it wouldn't be sharing a random thing.
Currently watching an episode of Perry Mason in which they need to find Alan Hale Jr. to alibi the defendant. I'm hoping he hasn't left on his three-hour tour.

Also, I keep wanting DeForest Kelley to tell his nagging wife, "Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a businessman."
I got a very good massage yesterday
One of the toilets at work is not flushing as well as it used to. You really need to hold the handle down. The other day I found a large turd in it (with toilet paper). I since have placed a note on the toilet asking people to make sure it gets flushed.
My head hurts today
Roscoe rendered a foot.
Sawdust, sawdust everywhere.
So, I was standing outside our office building, waiting for a coworker to pull up his car to get some training materials. Two guys come up and stand in the doorway of a vacany store next to me. They take out a joint, light it up, and start smoking it. Now Massachusetts has made possession of marijuana legal, but you still can't smoke it in public. I did not say anything to them though.
I have a job interview tomorrow.
Learning different languages has made me appreciate how similar some of them are.

For example, in Filipino (the official language of the Philippines, which was supposed to be a mixture of different local languages BUT is overwhelmingly based on Tagalog - this means that many Filipinos not from the Tagalog region are not fluent in it) and in Tagalog (the language of much of the northern island of Luzon), we have many loan words from Spanish (e.g. all the days of the month, all days of the week except Sunday, many nouns for food and clothing and things). This comes from the Spanish era which lasted almost 400 years. So, it's fairly easy for me to read Spanish because many words are similar (which my native Spanish-speaking colleagues are amazed by, and the Spanish-speaking Latin Americans now regard the Philippines as a sort of distant cousin).

English also has many words that are borrowed from French. So, often if I don't know the French word, I try the English word (with a French pronunciation, lol - don't pronounce that last letter!!). Often it works. Communication, information, transportation, reunion, developpement, resources. Of course, most of the nouns are rather abstract, but still it helps.

I also learned French first, but the vocabulary is similar to Spanish, so it helped me with that.

Also, many Japanese words are borrowed from Mandarin Chinese, so that helps too.

Now I'm dabbling in German and Dutch, and I'm surprised at how many words are similar to English.

I don't think I'll ever achieve native fluency, but I'm already conversational in French and Spanish. I think I can reach that level in Dutch or German with a bit of work. And now, it makes sense why so many Europeans are at least conversational in multiple languages! Europe is so small, and with free movement and close regional integration, it's practical to learn other languages. And because of the similarities, it's easier than, say, someone Japanese trying to learn a European language.
Would you pay to see Murder Phone: the Quislet, Esq. Story? What if Chris Evans played Quislet, Esq.?
Which reminds me, I haven’t finished my workout for the day yet. though I did spend a couple hours walking around Paris again
Tampo is a Filipino concept wherein a person withdraws his attention and affection from someone close, because of a perceived slight. It's akin to sulking, but may use such underhanded methods as the silent treatment, resisting attempts to be cajoled, withdrawing oneself physically and muttering.
No new country entered the UNESCO World Heritage list this year. But next year, Rwanda and Monaco might get their first World Heritage properties.
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Hallowe'en 2018 - 10/30/18 02:35 PM
Some of the Hallowe'en movies I am watching this year:

The Atom's Family:
A creepy, mysterious, and altogether ooky-- but small-- extended family terrorizes a peaceful suburbia. Their house is a museum.

Young Martin Stein:
A village watches in fascination and horror as the grandson of a mad scientist re-creates his grandfather's bizarre experiments in the fusion of human flesh. Features a performance of 'Puttin' On The Ritz' by The Nuclear Man.

Brainiacula
This vampyre is too smart for his own good.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Hallowe'en 2018 - 10/30/18 06:38 PM
smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Hallowe'en 2018 - 10/30/18 07:11 PM
Some of the Hallowe'en movies I am watching this year:

The Atom's Family:
A creepy, mysterious, and altogether ooky-- but small-- extended family terrorizes a peaceful suburbia. Their house is a museum.

Young Martin Stein:
A village watches in fascination and horror as the grandson of a mad scientist re-creates his grandfather's bizarre experiments in the fusion of human flesh. Features a performance of 'Puttin' On The Ritz' by The Nuclear Man.

Brainiacula
This vampyre is too smart for his own good.

Did Young Martin Stein blow up the kids too?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Hallowe'en 2018 - 11/14/18 05:52 PM
Careen means to go wildly from side to side. The book I am reading about pirates told me of the origin of that word. Wooden ships would get barnacles and other sea life attached to the parts below water. To get rid of them and replace broken board, and plug leaks, sailors using ropes would tip the ship on its side and fix the part that had been below water. This was call careen.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Hallowe'en 2018 - 12/04/18 10:08 PM
Amstelveen is a city right beside Amsterdam.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Hallowe'en 2018 - 12/12/18 01:08 AM
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Hallowe'en 2018 - 12/12/18 11:19 PM
The thread titles and the post titles don't match
You can change the title for individual posts.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Ibby = Love! - 12/13/18 01:11 AM
Like this.
"Quick Reply" automatically defaults to the title of the most recent post, whereas "Full Reply' defaults to the original thread title.
Thanks for the demonstration!
Well, I am not usually one for going out to the movies. I'm getting too old to sit for two hour straight.

However, I understand that the Aquaman movie has a guest appearance by Topo, and the Spiderverse movie has a guest appearance by Peter Porker, the Spectactular Spider-Ham!

I may not be able to wait until they come out on video.
Even when I was younger, I had trouble sitting still for two hours straight. Well, not really trouble. But I prefer activities that stimulate my mind more.
That cute and catchy, classic Italian pop song "Mama Maria," is actually about smoking pot.
My knuckles are dry.
I don't like dry humor, but I'm not sure what to call its exact opposite. Wet humor? confused
Toilets are wet too, and the source of much humor.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/25/18 10:09 PM
[Linked Image]
Christmas Card (2), c1945 par amylsacks, on ipernity
And a happy new year too! Yes, I'm early.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/27/18 11:08 PM
I need to replace the battery for my Mac Air...
I'm struggling to get my Dutch to conversational level. My French, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese are already there though.
The original voice of Popeye in the old Fleischer cartoons was a vaudevillian known as William "Red Pepper" Costello. Red has been described as a drinker and a hooligan who drove the Fleischers to distraction. Then they found out that one of their staff writers, Jack Mercer, had taught himself how to do the Popeye voice just as good as Red.

And so, Jack Mercer became the voice of Popeye, and kept the role for decades, until his death in the early 1980s.
The Pugad Baboy series of Philippine comics just released its 30th collection earlier this year.
I was watching clips of the old game show "I've Got a Secret" with Garry Moore as host. In the clips, you can see him smoking during the show. One clip even has him lighting the cigarette of a contestant. Some of the shows have Winston cigarettes as the sponsor and part of the prize for a contestant was a carton of Winston cigarettes.
I had meatballs in peanut sauce today
Hi! Suppose you're going nut-gathering; your buddy wants to know where and when. Use an adverb and tell him!
Heh. Nuts.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/11/19 11:41 PM
Peanuts are the best nut,
I love peanut butter
Ray Bradbury wrote some bad poetry.
I have a headache
I couldn't find the "So Who Was In Your Weird Dream Last Night?" thread, so I'll share this here:

Last night, I dreamed I was watching a documentary on a forgotten 1970s rock band who sounded like a cross between Genesis and Chicago.
I haven't remembered a dream in a long while.
"Sueno Contigo" ("I Dream of You") was a popular Latin American telenovela from the late 80s. The theme song was a big radio hit, and it still gets the occasional spin on Latin Oldies stations.

https://youtu.be/uEXDQhnjibg
I just spoke to an old friend, one of my oldest and best ones. It was great catching up.
So I had a dream about an animated Justice League adventure.

It started with the Justice League meeting a group of woman (more of a nation) who are being oppressed. The group explain how they can't risk a direct confrontation, but use one member to distract the authorities while the other get what they need. Next they are about to launch an attack against the oppressors, but Superman uses his heat vision to melt the spearheads of their weapons. He is against them killing. This split up the Justice League.

Next Superman is attacking a group of the rebels, but Wonder Woman dives out of the sky. I think "Ut oh! Wonder Woman vs Superman." I am rooting for Wonder Woman but think that she is in for a tough fight.

The scene shifts to Hawkgirl flying in a snowstorm. The Justice League had been transported to another dimension (where the oppressed women were)and she was the only one in our dimension who could get them back. There is a radio and a message is coming through for Hawkgirl, but she can't hear it due to the storm.

The scene shifts again to another radio and a message from Hawkgirl is coming through but faintly. Next I see a red haired woman, At first I think this is Hawkgirl, but it turns out to be Barbara Gordon. She is reading a bunch of thin books. Alfred comes in up some stairs. He is wearing a cape that is a modified version of Karate Kid's white high collar costume. He tell Barbara that what she is doing is wrong/forbidden. Barbara puts down the book she is reading, and then all the thin books fly up and merge into a huge tome. Barbara is doing this through magic. The tome is sealed with a skull on the front.

That ends the dream.
I went to a museum today. It had an exhibit on slavery and colonialism.
In my opinion, a lot of the unease that comes with the dredging up of racist caricatures from decades ago is simply that, by choosing to sweep such awful stuff under the carpet, we delude ourselves into thinking we have moved on from that, when in effect it's a cowardly, expedient way of not actively dealing with the societal complexities which give rise to such imagery.
I read an article on how white men feel treated like gods in India. This is sadly very common in many parts of South and East Asia. Even in the Philippines, most of our celebrities are half white.
This is my first post on Legion World in way too long.
Some things are good long, but absences on LW are not
While show business has *always* been more about opportunism, commerce, and luck than true artistic merit, I think it's gotten steadily worse and worse over the past 50 years or so. When people began to be lauded as artistes for their brazen cunning and cold calculation rather than their actual talent, the quality of the product went into decline.
I finally found an artist to do all the commissions I want! I am so happy!
I'm happy for Emily!
There's a really dumb (as in, so dumb it's kinda fun) late-70s disco song titled "H-A-P-P-Y Radio," by Edwin Starr.

At the other end of the 70s, Starr had sung the classic protest song "War (What Is It Good For?)"

Those extremes sum up that whole decade pretty well, I think.

But I'm no expert. I was five years old when the 70s ended.
^^Good observation, Annfie. smile

To me, it's interesting that the first No. 1 song of the '70s was "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" by B. J. Thomas, and the last No. 1 of the '70s was "Escape (The Pina Colada Song) " by Rupert Holmes. Those songs bookend the decade nicely.

By the way, I was six when the decade began and 17 when it ended. My musical education was formed by the decade of Tony Orlando & Dawn, Grand Funk, disco, and Donna Summer.
I tend to take a liking to a small number of songs, and listen to them over and over. I'm slow to adopt new songs into my playlist.

This used to drive Blaze crazy all the time, because he kept up to date with new songs on Spotify.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/01/19 02:32 PM
#takenfartoosoon

A hashtag at the end of a sad comment following someone's unexpected death. Except "fart" is the part of the tag that clearly stands out.
Many of the landmarks in Amsterdam are extremely literally-named. One church is called the Old Church, another is called the New Church...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/26/19 10:51 PM
[Linked Image from cdn.ipernity.com]
Punch Line par xenophora, on ipernity
The European heatwave is so bad, that the record for highest temperature in Netherlands was broken. Twice. On consecutive days.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/27/19 03:19 PM
Johnny Clegg is gone. frown

(1953-2019)

Goodbye, "Le Zoulou Blanc," and thank you.

I just received some very scary invitations on Grindr and on Romeo (gay "dating"/hookup apps).

One was an invitation to try out for an adult film, with 1200 EUR for 3 hours of filming to make a 20-minute clip.

Another was an invitation to join a satanic-themed orgy with 13 tops (the pentetrators) and one bottom (the one being penetrated) set in a private chapel.

I'm getting a little scared now lol
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/27/19 03:35 PM
Ibby, embrace your destiny and develop a sexy dude-centric multi-national YouTube sitcom. wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/27/19 08:53 PM
I've just come back from a second trip round the neighbourhood, in the pouring rain, calling for my boss, the cat. Did she bother to stick her head from out of a kitchen cabinet to tell me she was fine and was having a nap... she did not.
I was greeted in Pula, Croatia by a pouring thunderstorm too
The late cartoonist Don Martin (a longtime contributor to Mad who eventually defected to Cracked) could often be too tasteless even for ME, but I always liked two things about his art -- the way his characters wore oversized shoes that flopped around in the front, and the sound effect onomatopoeia he'd come up with -- "FOONGA-FOONGA" was a particular favorite.
I'm procrastinating in terms of planning my trip to India.
The 90s were an unhappy time for me. Ergo, I am turned off by 90s nostalgia.

The 2000s were a happier time for me. Yet I am turned off even more by 2000s nostalgia -- I mean, Jennifer Lopez making a comeback in a hit movie is about as obvious a bad omen as they come!
I had a very nice date with a Russian gymnast today.
Congratulations, Ibby. Hope it's only the beginning of something wonderful.

Something else random...I think Marvel should reveal that the real Black Widow hasn't been seen since the end of her George Perez Marvel Fanfare showcase story around 1982-83. They don't have to pay me, and they probably wouldn't either way, but I'd like to see it happen.
[Linked Image from gbtribune.static.anvilcms.net]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atgwEVaHdLE
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Congratulations, Ibby. Hope it's only the beginning of something wonderful.

Thanks Fanfie, sweet of you.

I wore a translucent red plastic raincoat last night because it was raining so hard.
The new President of Uruguay looks like Don Johnson -- well past his Miami Vice prime, that is.

And his mother's maiden name is pronounced the same as "poo."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Alberto_Lacalle_Pou
I have a headache.
And now for something completely different.
In the Philippines, typhoon strength is rated by Signal 1 to 4. Signal 4 is the strongest. Signal 2 means children should not be outdoors. Signal 3 means classes at al levels (i..e until university level) should be suspended.
Posted By: Set Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/04/19 12:38 PM
Me and a co-worker go outside last night to do snow removal. According to the weather report, we had eighteen inches of snowfall that night.

It just came up to my ankles. My co-worker smirked and said, 'This is how you can tell the weatherman is a guy.'
Men round up. Women round down.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/04/19 11:54 PM
Men round up. Women round down.

From a comedy talent show earlier this year :-

"When you're small like me, you like to round up. Since I'm five foot six and a half, that's what I do. So let's just say I'm six foot."

The comedian breezed through to the final.
Dang it. I should have trademarked that. I made a joke like that to my straight female/gay male friends last year....
So a friend of mine and I are trying to not buy anything new in 2020. For ourselves anyway.
Our logic - we have enough stuff.

We can buy digital things or used items. Groceries and toiletries obviously don't count. Or new socks/underwear as necessary.

Of course, I'm so tempted to order my Amazon cart before the new year so I'll have that last bit of new stuff.
My new guy and I love Disney movies. And our favorite? The Little Mermaid.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/30/19 12:25 AM
At a party yesterday, they had *Krampus* playing on the big screen. I normally don't do horror movies or Xmas movies, and this one was both. But while nomming treats and chatting with the other party people, I kind of got into it. There was some striking imagery (sort of a lesser-Pan's Labyrinth vibe) and the performances were at least competent. It was a bit more interesting than yet another slasher-in-Santa-garb escapade.
The title of that movie makes me think of Tastykake Krimpets.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/30/19 02:22 AM
I would not accept a Krimpet™ offered by Krampus. o_0
The Krampus was one of the villains in the Scooby-Doo, Mystery Inc. series.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/01/20 02:07 AM
Because of my extended workdays earlier this week, there wasn't time to finish lighting the Hanukkah candles. So I'm doing it now.
I went to my first beach in the Netherlands today
My supper today was a sandwich filled with leftover chicken and a BIG chunk of kosher pickle that I'd been saving for just such an occasion.

Oh, yeah...
Posted By: Catonyx Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/02/20 01:52 AM
The tiny amphibians ,Rana Sylvatica, or more commonly referred to as Wood Frogs, can survive for weeks with an incredible two-thirds of their body water completely frozen ... to the point where they are essentially solid frogsicles. Even more incredible is the fact that the wood frogs stop breathing and their hearts stop beating entirely for days to weeks at a time. In fact, during its period of frozen winter hibernation, the frogs’ physical processes—from metabolic activity to waste production—grind to a near halt. What’s more, the frogs are likely to endure multiple freeze/thaw episodes over the course of a winter
I see green, blue, pink and yellow post-its in front of me.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/21/20 04:15 PM
Preston 7 par xenophora, on ipernity
^I love that
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/21/20 04:39 PM
Thanks, Buddy. I thought I didn't tailor it for LW. But on the other hand, the subconscious is a powerful force. wink
It works extremely well.

Also, I went on a tour of the church beside my apartment building, and now I'm very tipsy.
Beautifully done, Cleome. You should be proud of yourself.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/22/20 06:21 PM
Thanks, A. hug

Returning to randomness: there are already cherry blossoms in bloom here, and daffodils. It looks nice, but I'm already feeling nervous that the summer is going to be a long-ass scorcher with tons of fires again.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/22/20 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by cleome53
Returning to randomness: there are already cherry blossoms in bloom here, and daffodils. It looks nice, but I'm already feeling nervous that the summer is going to be a long-ass scorcher with tons of fires again.

I sincerely hope your upcoming summer experience does not mirror our own down in Aus.
hope everything does get better there stile

I visited 3 Dutch cities this weekend
I echo Ibby's good wishes, Stile.

In the classic video game Ms. Pac Man, eating an apple earned you 1000 bonus points!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/23/20 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by stile86
Originally Posted by cleome53

I sincerely hope your upcoming summer experience does not mirror our own down in Aus.

hug Thank you, stile. The most we have to deal with near me is haze, ashes, and nasty smoke. And we got off the hook last summer, which was uncharacteristically cool and wet. Wishing you better times, too.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/23/20 11:59 PM
Thanks all. I was nowhere near the fires themselves so only had to directly cope with a few days of strong smoke haze, but the huge area burnt and the loss of other homes, farms, trees (estimated to be ten times that lost in the Amazon fires) and wildlife (conservatively estimated at 1 billion animals) is hard for me to conceive of. Fortunately most of it has finally been doused due to the large rainfalls received a week ago but recovery will take years.

Still life goes on (for most of us) and that is good.
Glad you and yours are safe, stile.

A bicycle was fished out of the canal near my place a few months back.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Share more completely random things! - 02/24/20 10:15 PM
An attempt to run a Melbourne-wide bike hire business (hire bike from stand using mobile phone, ride to another stand etc) failed because too many bikes were being abandoned in creeks and other places. The company was international and quite successful in other countries but here foiled by stupid actions by a few idiots. A new attempt with e-bikes intends to do better using tracking on the bikes and requirements to check-in when finished with one etc. We will see how it goes.
Glad you and yours are safe, stile.

A bicycle was fished out of the canal near my place a few months back.

Until it was found, the bicycle's owner thought it was gone with the Schwinn.

(Thank you, Kermit the Frog.)
I bought a new green shirt last week!
"Groot"means "big" in Dutch.

Yes, Groot, we know you're big.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/26/20 05:44 PM
mr_cleome, because he's spent way too much of his time with me:

"I just told a cosplayer that they should dress up like Infectious Lass. Heck, we're ALL Infectious Lass now!"
My new man and I are splitting the chores. He usually does the laundry, I clean the toilet and do the vacuuming. We both like to cook though.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/27/20 03:12 PM
China Postcard, c1910 par amylsacks, on ipernity
Micron pens are a wonderful invention.
My man made chicken taquitos for dinner!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/28/20 04:32 AM
I was polishing off the last of my delicious take-out Chinese food, and the cat helped himself to a piece of fortune cookie! (Ah, well. Nothing in there that'll hurt him, I guess.)
I taught my man a Philippine card game called Pusoy Dos. Every time he loses, he insists we play one more game so he can win.

We're still playing now...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/30/20 05:07 PM
It's great that you two can keep the magic alive even after all your time together, IB. wink

I had a dream last night which included me eating a lavender-scented candy. I could actually taste/smell the lavender. This seems to happen more in dreams now that I brush and rinse immediately before going to sleep instead of hours before that.
thanks, cleome smile er, well, this is a new boyfie smile Blaze broke up with me. But yes, it's been magical so far!

My man and I are roasting cauliflower tonight. I made burgers for lunch, that's the main dish for dinner too.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/06/20 03:11 PM
Oh, I know, Ibby. I was just having a little fun. (Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that I really only like when it's roasted.)

Up early again to try and art around before it's time to go to work. sigh
Mmmmm caulifloweeeeeeeeeeeeeeer........

I realized I have a rainbow of shirts with me. I packed for 2 weeks, and brought one maroon, one orange, one green, one purple and one blue shirt.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/28/20 08:49 PM
"Don't worry! I'll get you out from under that heavy piano, faster than you can say Jack Sprat.
Just don't say it for 7 hours."
We had pizza for dinner today!
Cowabunga, dude!
Tacos in a half shell! (I ordered the taco flavor)
The original voices of the Turtles were Cam Clarke (Leonardo), Rob Paulsen (Raphael), Barry Gordon (Donatello), and Townsend Coleman (Michelangelo.)
What about Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman?
LOL

Gee, I think they're swell.
My lip is swelling up a bit.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 05/31/20 05:36 PM
Person 1: "Do you mind if I take a gander around your store?"
Person2: As long as it's house trained.
I just did the laundry.
Tuna salad sandwiches are a hundred times better if you spread a little bit of mustard on the top slice of bread.
I need to clean my toaster.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 06/15/20 09:24 PM
I'd toast to you cleaning your toaster, but then I'd have to clean *my* toaster.
I hate cleaning. And laundry. But I don't mind cooking. Or washing the dishes.
I made Sticky Pomegranate Chicken Salad. It's really good.
Mmm. Pomegranate is one of those fruits that goes really well in a salad.

My 8.30am got canceled. yay. back to bed for an hour and a half!
Snoopy once used a quote from the Bible to try and justify his sleeping all day.
Sounds like a lot of hypocritical religious types I know.
Nah, Snoopy's just lazy.

Something Random: The status of Hypertime in the DCU is as shaky as everything else to do with DC Comics.
Oh of course, nothing hypocritical about Snoopy. I was commenting on THOSE people I know.

There's a pigeon across my window.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 07/23/20 04:38 PM
Our mayor has always been a total dink, but now that he's been seen on national TV, I have to explain this to a lot of people who don't live here. sigh
In the classic Looney Tunes cartoon "Ballot Box Bunny," both Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam run against each other for mayor. In the end, they're defeated by a dark horse candidate. Who literally IS a horse, of course.
I feel like a Looney Tunes marathon over the weekend smile
Earlier tonight, I was reading an old interview with cartoonist Bill Griffith, creator of Zippy the Pinhead, when I FINALLY figured out what real-life person Zippy reminds me of -- Legion World's own Pov. And I mean that in the best possible way.
I finally got to see my upstairs neighbor's apartment last night. It's nicely decorated.
Posted By: Set Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/02/20 06:07 PM
At work my supervisor knows that I'm half paralyzed and don't have enough strength in my right arm to turn a doorknob, so when he saw me Friday night dragging two boxes that appeared full of mail (usually ~800 lbs each) one handed behind me as I walked by, his eyebrows climbed into orbit. He walked over with a stern look, since I was A) violating all sorts of OSHA safety practices, and B) breaking the laws of physics, only to find that the boxes were indeed filled, but with with discarded wrapping plastic and weighed maybe 10 lbs each. He glared at me and waved me on.

I love work interactions that involve no spoken words. smile

It also amuses comic-book fan me to do stuff that looks superhuman, even if it's a total cheat.
After putting it off for weeks, my man and I finally went to the Westerpark on the (duh) west side of Amsterdam.
In both versions of "Lady Marmalade," it's always sounded to me like they're singing, "Voulez vous couchez avec moi, Sasquatch?"
Hahahahahhahaa

Furries!
Since we are working online pretty much through fall (and probably spring) AND my dog of 15 years passed away, I decided to pack up my apartment, put things in storage and move to Guadalajara, Mexico for the rest of the year (at least).

Been here a day. Everyone is complying with public health standards, have a cool apartment in the middle of the city. Just got my wifi up and a yoga instructor scheduled. Hope this is good.
I hope so, too, Andy. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Something random: The popular Mexican comedian Chespirito (birth name Roberto Gomez Bolanos) started out behind the scenes as a writer -- he got his nickname because his fellow writers were so envious of his great facility for wordplay that they called him "Little Shakespeare"
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 08/16/20 07:03 PM
That sounds lovely Andy. Well done on making the decision.
Enjoy your stay in Mexico, Andy!
Thanks, all!

If I find more Chesperitos, I'll be sure to bring them to Legionworld!
Much appreciated, Andy. Gracias.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/09/20 03:22 AM
This here was a great family-style Chinese place which was 25 minutes from my home. We loved it. Too bad 5-6 years ago it got "redeveloped" as a mega-bank. sigh

The Pagoda, Portland, Oregon, c1950 par amylsacks, on ipernity
We have a new favorite poke bowl place! I love the spicy salmon/tuna bowl.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/09/20 05:42 PM
Love the building Cleome. Where I'm from, the architecture is well... industrial. There's only so much landscaping you can give a slag heap.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/09/20 05:54 PM
Heh. That postcard makes it looks like they were set out in the country. But I'm pretty sure that even in the 1950s that area was already very urban. Of course, the bank didn't keep anything but a vague blocky outline. I'm pretty sure if I went in, the tiny bridge and garden with the koi pond wouldn't be there anymore either. Bah!
It took me far longer than it should have to recall my password. Ah, well... better late than never.
I am now interviewing candidates for my business school.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/25/20 10:09 AM
"Season's Greetings From Thelma," c1950 par amylsacks, on ipernity
Beautiful, cleome! simple and very beautiful smile
I love it! love
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/25/20 11:08 AM
Lovely Cleome
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/26/20 10:57 AM
Charming and peaceful, but in my house this would be labelled "Eve of Destruction".
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Share more completely random things! - 12/26/20 10:16 PM
Hee hee. If you take a close look at the Xmas ball, you can see the photographer, keeping a close watch in case any shenanigans ensue.

Catspaw
I just moved to a new apartment.
Martin Scorsese is wrong about comic book movies. They have taken cinema back to its pop-culture roots, so that the commerce-to-art cycle may happen anew.
We need to go back to the Era when we had real movies, like The Bowery Boys and Hopalong Cassidy!
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
We need to go back to the Era when we had real movies, like The Bowery Boys and Hopalong Cassidy!

My sentiments exactly! smile
It's worth noting that the Statler Brothers' "Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott" is basically a complaint on behalf of fans of older franchise and B-movies against the New Hollywood that someone like Scorsese represents. smile
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 10/01/23 08:57 PM
Just had a basic music lesson from my kid. i asked him how to play the notes between the strings. He looked at me like I had been shot in the head. I explained to him that the book stated it that way. He told me they assume a certain familiarity from anyone using their book. I explained to him that I now have 6 FREAKIN YEARS of bad habits because the musicians couldn't explain a fart in a bag to anyone.

He thought that was both insulting and funny.

If I am buying a BEGINNERS book on something, it means I'm a BEGINNER! Don't ASSUME any fucking thing, you stupid sexual intercoursing cucks.

He that that was funny as well.
Reminds me of many of my Spanish speaking friends. I asked for help practicing my Spanish, they still spoke so quickly I could barely make things out… when they spoke more slowly, I got most of it !
People who pop their fingers a lot get snap benefits.
their joints get a lot of exercise
I have never smoked a joint.
There are four strawberries in my bowl.
Charles Schulz and Kurt Vonnegut were both born in November of 1922.
It's 3 degrees Celsius here
Posted By: stile86 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/06/24 11:14 PM
Interesting. Both served in WWII but had very different experiences which may go some way to explaining their radically different literary output.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/06/24 11:16 PM
It's 3 degrees Celsius here
Its 30 degrees Celsius here.
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 01/07/24 04:45 AM
I had jello today.
I have to do the groceries later
Originally Posted by stile86
Interesting. Both served in WWII but had very different experiences which may go some way to explaining their radically different literary output.

A good point, but they also had things in common: American Midwestern upbringings, German heritage, well-observed awarenesses of human nature, and quirky senses of humor.

Something random: The weather has been miserable lately.
I'm having some peach yogurt now.
I went to the grocery hungry today. Mistake.
I dropped my pen.

and also: Round 1 of Multiverse Legion Idol is ongoing!
I just thought I would leave this here

[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]
^^Like.
MatterEaterLad

BouncingBoy

DuoDamsel
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/26/24 11:03 PM
I eat a mostly plant-based diet
I have 70 unread emails in my inbox
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/27/24 01:27 PM
Work email? 4271
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Share more completely random things! - 03/27/24 04:15 PM
Just under 600
down to 0 unread for me, but unread does not equal answered...
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/11/24 10:56 PM
Less is more for me when it comes to sexy. Femme fatale's don't do it, but that cute sexy lady that can cook and actually smiles at my bad puns, and genuinely likes me...damn, that's a lot of sexy in a small package.
I dropped all the blueberries!!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Share more completely random things! - 04/13/24 05:25 AM
I dropped all the blueberries!!
Oh no! Bet you're feeling blue.
Sad frown
© Legion World