Legion World
Posted By: rickshaw1 I must confess: - 12/16/14 01:53 AM
I've never seen a single episode of Dr. Who.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 02:08 AM
Neither have I. Cheers, Rick.

cheers

My confession:

I think Lost was crap from Season 2 on.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 02:10 AM
I've watched a few episodes here and there. Not my thing.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 02:11 AM
Funny thing about Dr. Who. When I told a friend about DC's now-defunct concept of Hypertime, he replied, "They stole that from Dr. Who." I, having never seen an episode, could only nod blankly.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 02:27 AM
I guess it would depend on whether or not Dr. Who was on before issue 124 of Flash? I honestly don't know.

I must confess: I've said it here before, but it bears(bares, baires?) repeating...I've never liked Christmas music. And I haven't heard anything new in years that was any good.

No problem with the holiday or season, but the music....nah.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 02:45 AM
Another confession: I always thought The Far Side was mean-spirited crap.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
I've never seen a single episode of Dr. Who.

Nor have I. I saw two-thirds of an episode a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 04:44 AM
I've never watched an episode either.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 05:42 AM
I started watching the 2005 revival series a last summer. It's some fun stuff. smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 05:48 AM
I confess that I often underestimate the time needed to get somewhere. I usually get somewhere just in time, maybe 5 minutes late. Part of it is I fail to account for possible traffic snags and always consider the "normal" travel time. It's something I want to change, but can be tough to do esp in a country whose culture accepts 10-1d minutes of lateness for meetings and 30 mins for social events.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 11:31 AM
I have no ability to estimate anything. I can't guess how big something is, I can never figure out how much spice, broth, or pasta I should use when I'm making something. I feel completely clueless.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 12:48 PM
I'm like that with distances. Someone tells me that something is 1km away, I have trouble picturing it. I'm better at estimating things when using inches or feet because I can use my height as frame of reference.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 03:13 PM
I always look for videos of Japanese visual novels (and yes, erotic ones) online just because I like listening to the opening and ending themes, but I've never had an interest in actually trying to play any of them.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 03:38 PM
I must Confess: I'm not anal retentive about much of anything EXCEPT being late. Can't stand it for myself. I'd rather sit in the hot South Carolina summer sun for 30 minutes than be one minute late.

Don't have a problem with others being a little late, but I can't stand to be.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 03:53 PM
I guess it would depend on whether or not Dr. Who was on before issue 124 of Flash? I honestly don't know.

Flash 124 was published in Nov. 1961

Dr. Who began on Nov. 1963
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 04:15 PM
I must Confess: I'm not anal retentive about much of anything EXCEPT being late. Can't stand it for myself. I'd rather sit in the hot South Carolina summer sun for 30 minutes than be one minute late.

Don't have a problem with others being a little late, but I can't stand to be.

I get bothered if I'm more than 5 minutes late too. I don't mind if others are up to 15 minutes late, though.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/16/14 05:10 PM
Whenever someone asks me for input on their writing or a story they like, I always put it off. I don't know why, I guess I lack faith in my ability to give input on writing.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: I must confess: - 12/17/14 01:45 AM
I too have never WHO'd. And as I dropped out of LOST early in Season 3, it looks like I somewhat agree with that as well.

I must confess: Nostalgia is a huge part of my life, yet I love seeing what tomorrow has in store.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/17/14 02:14 AM
I confess that I am overly nostalgic and hate new things too often.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/18/14 03:06 AM
I must confess I try to stay current with pop culture even though I hate most of it and I spend most of my free time nostalgically pining for the 80s.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/18/14 03:23 AM
I confess that one reason I put in so much effort at work is because I am afraid of falling behind.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/18/14 02:40 PM
I confess that I have never in my life eaten a cheeseburger, or any kind of burger for that matter. I tried a bite of soy burger once and I didn't like it.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/18/14 03:30 PM
(wow, interesting confession Sarky!)

I confess that I have a tendency to drink too much. I get tipsy too easily.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/18/14 07:54 PM
I must confess that I have a candy addiction.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/20/14 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
I confess that I have never in my life eaten a cheeseburger, or any kind of burger for that matter. I tried a bite of soy burger once and I didn't like it.

I've never eaten in a McDonalds, Burger King or KFC.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/20/14 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by thothkins

I've never eaten in a McDonalds, Burger King or KFC.

Wimpy's? wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/20/14 10:48 PM
Hey! It is not wimpy because I've never... oh, I get it...

I couldn't tell you where the nearest Wimpy was from here.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/20/14 10:52 PM
I once ate at a Wimpy in Bogota, Colombia, of all places!

Not bad for what it was.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/20/14 10:57 PM
I can never read stories where a character has suddenly gained the power to read minds.

Because most often, it turns out everyone around them actually hates the main character and think terrible things about them while lying to their faces.

The reason why I can't read stories like this is because it makes me horribly self conscious about what the people around me, off and online, actually think about me, and I doubt everything they say.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: I must confess: - 12/22/14 12:41 AM
I've never watched "The Sound of Music," and except for an occasional bit, I don't like "A Christmas Story."
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/22/14 01:49 AM
I must confess: The Cranky has been real lately for various reasons. I'm ready for 2014 to suck the big dirt nap.

I've noticed a trend in a lot of my postings elsewhere that I don't like and I'm changing it. I'll still stand for what I believe, and stand against what I don't, but lately the heart hasn't been in it.

Looking forward to a better year.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/22/14 06:22 AM
I confess that I tend to overthink and to focus on short term rather than long term. I"m trying to change both, with some success.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: I must confess: - 12/22/14 12:52 PM
Never saw "Anchorman" either.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/22/14 12:57 PM
Most of the songs in Phantom of the Opera bore me.
Posted By: Set Re: I must confess: - 12/22/14 05:41 PM
Almost fifty. Still haven't owned a car, credit card or cellphone. (Debit cards came along just in time so that I'll probably never need a credit card, although the cellphone seems inevitable!)

Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: I must confess: - 12/22/14 08:31 PM
I never owned a cell phone or carried a payment on my credit card, so it's effectively a debit but can't imagine life without a car. Heck, with all the automatic deposit and payment, I barely see cash. Hit the ATM about once a month.

I confess that even though Christmas break started last Friday, I went into work today. Got some organization done and kept me from starting my Christmas shopping too soon.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/22/14 08:48 PM
My ancient cellphone is pretty much kept for the car. So, when I actually need it, it invariably has been deactivated or triggers a response from the top up fraud team. I'm trying to find a way of getting the top up fraud team to just phone for help on my behalf...
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/23/14 12:04 AM
Despite being in my twenties, I detest shopping for technology. I never know what specs to consider and the sheer number of choices can be overwhelming. But I appreciate tech and can be quite adept with it - I just prefer someone else to help me pick out my gadgets. And I don't mean salespeople!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/23/14 01:11 AM
Like a lot of places, we've had stores close down because people would use the salesperson's knowledge and play with the gadget, then go home and buy it online.

That's not something I could ever do.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/24/14 04:06 PM
I must confess: I've never seen avatar or titanic. Nor do I have any desire too.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: I must confess: - 12/24/14 04:29 PM
I saw Titanic on the big screen only because I wanted to see the sinking on the big screen. The story itself was putrid.
Posted By: Pov Re: I must confess: - 12/24/14 04:35 PM
Titanic's only worth watching for Jack/Dicrappio's freezing drowning death scene... And Winslet's boobs, I guess, but I can see those in other movies. laugh
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: I must confess: - 12/24/14 04:41 PM
I remember thinking the year Titanic won the Oscar that if they were going to give it to something poppy and commercialized, then they should've given it to Men in Black, because it was at least a fun movie to watch.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: I must confess: - 12/24/14 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Pov
Titanic's only worth watching for Jack/Dicrappio's freezing drowning death scene... And Winslet's boobs, I guess, but I can see those in other movies. laugh

You can keep Ms. Winslet's mammary glands
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/24/14 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq
You can keep Ms. Winslet's mammary glands

Well, I was going to just give them back to her. They were creeping out visitors sitting there in the hallway.

I've not seen Avatar or Titanic either. Or ET. Or any Disney animation, that I can think of. I've seen a few of their live action sci-fi things I think. The Black Hole...complete with it's Borgnine Stamp of Film Quality.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 12/24/14 11:02 PM
I must confess: I've never watched an episode of Game of Thrones, or read anything by George R.R. Martin.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/25/14 12:09 AM
I haven't had a must match TV show in many a year. I've seen one episode of Suits (too knacked to change the channel), and four or five Walking Dead episodes and that's about it for ages.

I have to say it hasn't made a jot of difference in conversation.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: I must confess: - 12/25/14 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I must confess: I've never watched an episode of Game of Thrones, or read anything by George R.R. Martin.

Nor have I.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: I must confess: - 12/25/14 04:58 AM
I must confess: I've never seen avatar or titanic. Nor do I have any desire too.

I liked Avatar. Sam might like it.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/25/14 06:34 PM
I must confess that I too have not watched Game of Thrones, nor have any desire to. AS well, I've never seen Gone With The Wind, or any of the Godfather movies.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/25/14 06:34 PM
LT, if Sam every wants to see it, that's cool, I just haven't wanted to watch it.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/26/14 12:14 AM
I must confess: Margurita party, bitches. I'm feelingno pain and that's alright. I figure onece a year is okay. Only problem I really have right now is that this screen is fuzzy, but hat's because im' not wearing glasses. And spelling. Yup.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 12/26/14 12:30 AM
I already sorta confessed this in the shoutbox, but...

I must confess:

Some Transformers fans might consider me a heretic for liking the Transformers and GoBots cartoons almost equally.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/26/14 04:19 AM
I confess I have never watched any of the Godfather movies.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/26/14 12:28 PM
Some Transformers fans might consider me a heretic for liking the Transformers and GoBots cartoons almost equally.

Right, we'll get the pyre build over here and....oh wait, I've never seen a Transformers or Go Bots cartoon. I only know of them form the back covers of comics.
Posted By: Set Re: I must confess: - 12/26/14 01:22 PM

His shared world anthology, Wild Cards, is pretty cool. A half dozen or so authors writing a superhero world!

But yeah, I haven't read that Song of Fire and Ice stuff he's actually famous for, either. smile

Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 12/27/14 05:37 AM
I bought five of the Wild Card paperbacks for 50 cents apiece at a used bookstore several years ago. I enjoyed the first few stories and the overall concept, but gave up about midway through the second book. The stories just weren't that interesting.

I tried again about a year ago but didn't get through a single story.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/27/14 05:44 AM
In 2nd grade I kissed my teacher in front of everyone.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/27/14 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Indian Lad
I confess I have never watched any of the Godfather movies.

Not my cup of tea, and nearly any cup of tea is my cup of tea. So, I've only seen a bit of the second one, by accident.

Originally Posted by Set
His shared world anthology, Wild Cards, is pretty cool. A half dozen or so authors writing a superhero world!

I've read a few Wild Cards books, but the concept didn't have staying power for me. It's good to see a writing veteran getting so much success.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 01:54 AM
I must confess: I didn't watch Guardians of the Galaxy because I thought the trailer looked stupid. I know that movie has a lot of fans at Legion World, and millions more outside of Legion World, so no offense to them but it's probably not my thing.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:07 AM
I love movies embedded in nostalgia so the 70/80's roots of GoTG had me hooked. nod
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:14 AM
The only thing I consider myself to be genuinely nostalgic for are certain 80s TV cartoons, especially those involving robots.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:20 AM
My parents always say that I was born a decade too late. Pretty much everything I love from comics to movies to music are from the 80's. tongue
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:23 AM
I think that is, in a word: awesome! nod I think the 80s are a very misunderstood decade. There were a lot of unpleasant things going on in the real world, but at the time it seemed so much easier to temporarily escape them through entertainment.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:32 AM
That's how I feel as well. There isn't much in the way of modern entertainment that offers me that same kind of escapism.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:36 AM
That's one of the reasons I dislike the 90s so much. That was when the entertainment industry first realized it could make money by sticking everything ugly and cynical about life in our faces. The 2000s were kind of the peak of that trend, and I think it's been slowly receding this decade.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:39 AM
I think that the 90's weren't that bad. Some of my favorite movies, such as Jurassic Park and Back to the Future III, were from the 90's. I also like the ska bands of the 90's too, like Sublime and Pepper.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:41 AM
My favorite 90s band by far is Garbage, although I must confess I hated all but one song on their third album, Beautiful Garbage (the song I did like, BTW, was Cherry Lips (Go, Baby, Go))
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:42 AM
90's alt rock is pretty solid too. I remember Nirvana's entire catalogue was my gospel in junior high. blush
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:44 AM
I didn't like any of the Seattle bands. I thought they were too negative. (How ironic, then, that one of the members of Garbage is Butch Vig, who produced Nevermind.) shrug
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:47 AM
Do you like the Smashing Pumpkins? I know Billy Corgan's vocals aren't for everyone, but I love the band's work.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:49 AM
I would have loved the Pumpkins if only Billy Corgan would have been willing to be like Ritchie Blackmore with Rainbow or Tony Iommi with Black Sabbath, and led the band but shared the stage with a singer who could actually sing.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:51 AM
Heh, I think we've really derailed this thread with our nostalgia talk. tongue
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:52 AM
Not really. I did confess that I hated all but one song on Garbage's third album. tongue
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:54 AM
Well played. nod
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 02:57 AM
Thanks. grin
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 03:54 AM
In 2nd grade I kissed my teacher in front of everyone.

That's sweet.

I don't think I had a crush on any of my teachers, though my grade school music teacher, Mrs. Curnutt, appeared in my dream once.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 04:40 AM
Not so much "sweet" as "I was the kid who acted out and always did weird stuff."

I often used to try and make myself throw up in the bathroom because I just wanted to go home.

I used to chase the girls around and try to kiss them. In fact, I did kiss a few of them. I, I'm deeply ashamed of the way I acted.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 09:08 PM
I must confess:

Even though I love the Peanuts comic strip like no other, I think the Peanuts animated cartoons are terrible. By robbing Snoopy of his ability to make his thoughts known to the audience, the character was done a tremendous disservice.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/28/14 09:21 PM
I used to chase the girls around and try to kiss them. In fact, I did kiss a few of them. I, I'm deeply ashamed of the way I acted.

On the other hand, there are lots of blokes who agonise about never having taken the opportunity to kiss the person they wanted to. Going by what I've listened to over the years, it's a pretty big group.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 12/29/14 12:09 AM
Yeah but it's like, I robbed them of their choice and I ruined their first kisses.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 12/29/14 12:25 AM
Sarky--as long as you're not doing it now, everything's a'right! smile
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/29/14 10:50 PM
Sarky, that's what kids do. Don't worry about all the hysteria you see these days, kids are real. If they'd had a real problem with it, you'd have heard about it.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 12/30/14 12:24 AM
It's so kid like, there's even a nursery rhyme...

Georgie Porgie, Puddin' and Pie,
Kissed the girls and made them cry,
When the boys came out to play
Georgie Porgie ran away*.

Besides, that's not even a first proper kiss.

Remember kids: If you beat yourself up too much, you'll spoil all the fun for your partner in your relationship.

*there is presumably a more PC version of this out there now, where Georgie expresses, as he runs, that he is in no way discriminating against any particular sexual preference or gender.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/31/14 12:04 AM
I love my wife.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/31/14 12:08 AM
...I've been telling my puns over at Callahan's Crosstime Saloon on facebook. Punster's paradise.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 01/03/15 05:45 PM
...things may be looking up.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 01/16/15 10:26 AM
I'll enthusiastically follow someone online while they're working on a commission or a request, but then after they finish it I don't often keep up with them.

Also, I made a big deal about being there for a tumblr user who seemed to be going through a lot of stuff. But I haven't checked their blog in days and after finally looking at it now, it's just white except for a donation button.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 01/16/15 01:44 PM
I confess that my genuine interest in people, especially when conversing, has often been mistaken for flirting. A friend of mine in college used to call me an incorrigible flirt because apparently I have a way of making people feel so special that they think I'm into them. But often I'm just being genuinely friendly.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 01/17/15 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
A friend of mine in college used to call me an incorrigible flirt because apparently I have a way of making people feel so special that they think I'm into them. But often I'm just being genuinely friendly.

People I know are downright suspicious of that level of interest. Having said that, I much prefer talking to people who aren't already living in the world of Me Me Me* so that you can actually have a conversation. I much prefer listening to other folks. I already know the stuff about me.

*A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away the self important planet of Me Me Me was used as target practice by the Death Star. Fragments of the planet would spread throughout the universe. One landed on Earth, where people had previously been quite happy staying quiet for more than five minutes at a time.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 01/17/15 07:51 PM
I have a friend who used to compete for Facebook likes. He knew all the right times to post a photo to maximize the number of likes he'd get.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: I must confess: - 01/18/15 03:07 PM
I just had lima beans for breakfast, and they were terrific!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: I must confess: - 01/18/15 03:50 PM
Power Boy is actually the long pined for Superboy "Robot" built in a basement after some Legion Worlders got a tiny bit space-shitfaced one night.

That Apokolips stuff ... total post crisis space-hogwash.

Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 01/18/15 04:00 PM
Peebz is a robot? That casts a lot of things in a whole new light.

... I miss my college friends frown
Posted By: Power Boy Re: I must confess: - 01/18/15 04:16 PM
Is Peebz the first ever HOMME BOT!

... Even robots hate doing dishes.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 01/18/15 04:22 PM
I guess that explains the rock-hard abs and the chiseled chest.

... I hate doing leg exercises, unless they're part of full-body ones.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 12:25 PM
...my favorite Chicago album is "Chicago 17".
Posted By: Pov Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 01:13 PM
I love Five Seconds of Summer's "HEY EVERYBODY"... Duran Duran rip-off and all.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 03:31 PM
...Miracles by Jefferson Starship was the most beautifully dirty song I've ever heard.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 03:34 PM
I love "Miracles", too, Rick.

I must confess, I even like Marty Balin's solo ballad, "Hearts."
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 07:41 PM
... it's no confession, but I love it when anything related to Jefferson Airplane/Starship comes up in conversation. smile

I agree: "Miracles" is amazing--and, as a rule, I don't even like love ballads. But Marty has that genuine quality is his voice that makes it instantly appealing. "Hearts" is great, too.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 07:45 PM
I confess that Joe Jackson's "Down To London" is in my head right now. I have no idea why. Today I went to an estate sale, where I bought a storage crate, some cooking pamphlets, a small spice jar, and an extra Pyrex dish. I also made a vegetarian version of a BLT on wheat. Then I snagged a couple of peanut-butter covered pretzels from mr_cleome. There was a show on the jazz station about Django Reinhardt that we were listening to.

What the bloody blue blazes does any of that have to do with Joe Jackson or London?! shake

Oh, and I think "Miracles" is a pretty good song. I was thinking about it yesterday for some reason, even though I hadn't read this thread. Coincidence? READ THE BOOK!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 08:07 PM
I confess that my genuine interest in people, especially when conversing, has often been mistaken for flirting. A friend of mine in college used to call me an incorrigible flirt because apparently I have a way of making people feel so special that they think I'm into them. But often I'm just being genuinely friendly.

Captain Kirk had this same problem. It wasn't so much that he literally wanted every woman in sight. He was just a good conversationalist. wink
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 08:16 PM
Kirk's conversational secret? Just pause . . . for no reason.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 08:21 PM
I confess... I never did finish the Trek/Legion crossover. I meant to, but money issues happened and I just forgot.

I could swear there was a scene in there where Chameleon hit on Kirk while looking like a lady, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part. hmmm
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 08:24 PM
I confess... I was that baby.
Posted By: Lad With Glasses Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 08:32 PM
...I have been lax in my posting duties these last few years.
Posted By: Lad With Glasses Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 08:36 PM
Also, meaning no disrespect, I think I prefer this rather laconic version of a classic song to the more famous (and frantic) original:

Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 08:55 PM
I like that version, too, LWG (and there's nothing disrespectful about saying you prefer one thing to another). I do think it loses something without Marty on harmony vocals, though.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:02 PM
... I'm quite drunk right now.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Exnihil

Martinis?
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:04 PM
...I'm about as drunk as I was at the 2 LMB meet-ups I participated in and drinking the same beverages! nod
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:05 PM
I've had a beer (Poet Oatmeal Stout), but I don't feel drunk at all.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Paladin

Martinis?

Not just martinis... "perfect martinis" ... so called... see "Posting while drunk" thread.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:07 PM
I wish I were drunk, but it's Sunday morning. Bah! If it were Saturday I'd be rip-roaring drunk too!
Posted By: Exnihil Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:09 PM
...I'm about as drunk as I was at the 2 LMB meet-ups I participated in and drinking the same beverages! nod

lol No doubt, you're rolling on a sugar high, then. wink
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:10 PM

lol No doubt, you're rolling on a sugar high, then. wink

Nope, not even that! wink
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:14 PM
The alcohol combined with the sheer joy of posting and the exhilaration of being in such a like-minded group is contributing to the drunkenness, I bet!
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:15 PM
Viva la intoxication!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:22 PM
Alcohol con buenos amigos es vida pura!
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:25 PM
Das stimmt!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:26 PM
Acclamations, mon ami!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:30 PM
er....yar, me hardies? shrug
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 09:31 PM
Gleichfalls.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 10:26 PM
Mabuhay!

er....yar, me hardies? shrug

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

*downs rum*

**remembers that he just downed gin, tequila, vodka, wine, Bailey's, bourbon, lambanog (Philippine coconut wine), sake and soju**

***falls over, snoring***
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:07 PM
Wach auf!

**HWW tries to stir Ibby. Fails. Covers him with a blanket and goes back to drinking beer.**
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:11 PM
Huey, if you're drinking beer here on LW, it's probably Bi-Beer!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:14 PM
I don't need beer to be bi, tee hee!

Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Wach auf!

**HWW tries to stir Ibby. Fails. Covers him with a blanket and goes back to drinking beer.**

Salamat! Xie Xie!
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:26 PM
All right...who turned the Interlac translator off?
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:26 PM
It's part of our program for learning languages, Tracker. It helps with the diplomatic responsibilities of the LMB.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:30 PM
Not Bi-Beer. Poet Oatmeal Stout . . . which makes me feel rather less than poetic.

But I do feel musical (and German):

"Bier hier ... Bier hier!"

Salamat! Xie Xie!

Bitte schön.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker

Fortunately, there's still Google Translate. smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:43 PM
Which works both ways wink

Þú heldur að ég veit þau tungumál allar ég er með?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker

Fortunately, there's still Google Translate. smile

This made me laugh out loud. nod

I must confess...I went to take an early-evening nap before coming back to the Anniversary celebration, and fell asleep for hours. blush
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:45 PM
That happens to me a lot, which is why I usually am so unproductive on weekends smile
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:56 PM
Which works both ways wink

Þú heldur að ég veit þau tungumál allar ég er með?

Ich auch?
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/12/16 11:59 PM

Saya harap saya ingat beberapa dari apa yang saya menerjemahkan .
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 12:15 AM
Ich erinern ein bisschen deutsch, obwohl den Rest ich überprüfen muss.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 12:41 AM
Wǒ zhīdào yǒuxiē guòyú pǔtōnghuà, dàn quēfá shíjiàn shǐ wǒ wàngjìle dà bùfèn de dōngxī wǒ xué.

Studied, not learned, as most of it was done via rote memorization.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 12:55 AM
I must confess that I just realized Jor-El in MoS is nothing more than an advanced model of Rimmer from Red Dwarf. And probably about as intelligent.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 01:09 AM
I must confess . . . it's past midnight and so it's time for me to go to bed.

Guten Nacht, lieber Legionwelt!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 01:17 AM
Bona notte HWW.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 01:29 AM
Bonne nuit, mon ami.
Posted By: Caliente Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 03:13 AM
I must confess.... I'm too lazy to google translate the text above.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 04:14 AM
Good night, my friend smile
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 08:30 AM
I must confess, I listened to Herb Alpert this morning. On the earphones, since I'm the only one who likes his music.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 08:35 AM
I must confess ... I'm not a fan of Herb Alpert, but I love "Rise."
Posted By: Caliente Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 11:34 AM
I must confess... I don't know who Herb Alpert is.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 12:21 PM
Alpert is a trumpet player who had hits in the '60s with his band, the Tijuana Brass, and became a founder of A&M Records. He topped the US chart in 1979 with this song:

Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 03/13/16 01:37 PM
I'm more into Herbie Mann these days, myself. Got one of his Bossa Nova forays for cheap at a local thrift store last year. I replay it lots.

Also, I must confess... I don't want to take my stupid meds because they're hell on my stomach. urk
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: I must confess: - 03/17/16 03:21 AM
I must happily confess that I have abandoned all hope of ever reading Beowulf, regardless of the translation.

I further confess that my boxed set of The Iliad & The Odyssey is being kept only because it's the perfect height for a foot rest when my knee hurts.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/17/16 08:43 AM
I must confess that I have no desire to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I appreciate Tolkien's vision, but deplore his writing style.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 03/17/16 02:23 PM
I must confess: I love the original Transformers animated cartoon like no other, but I've never gotten into any Transformers comic book iteration.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 03/17/16 02:26 PM
I must confess: I can't stand the taste of milk. I can only tolerate it in the form of yogurt or ice cream or the like. puke
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 03/20/16 08:32 PM
I must confess: I had a great time at my son's karate tournament, but I'm even more glad to be home.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 03/23/16 10:49 PM
I must confess, I have not drawn a paycheck in two months and it's making me want to scream .
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 04/22/16 04:10 PM
I must confess: I've reached the age where I get "bruises" under the rapidly thinning skin on my hands and have no idea where they came from.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 04/22/16 04:11 PM
I must confess that I have no desire to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I appreciate Tolkien's vision, but deplore his writing style.

Same here for me, with some of the older stuff as well.

My readable range starts around the Hammett/Chandler era.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 04/22/16 04:26 PM
I must confess: I read very little prose fiction anymore. Why? Because truth really is stranger than fiction.

And that still doesn't explain why I continue to read comic books and fan fiction.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: I must confess: - 04/23/16 06:20 PM
I must confess: I'm enjoying therapy
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 04/23/16 07:37 PM
^^Andy, I enjoy therapy, too. I always leave my therapist's office feeling like the weight of the world has been lifted off me.

I must confess: I think 80s hardcore punk rock doesn't sound any less lame than modern mainstream punk rock.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 04/23/16 11:39 PM
I confess: I found therapy to be a mixed blessing. I enjoyed being able to talk to my problems with a professional, but I don't think it really solved anything.

Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: I must confess: - 04/24/16 07:08 AM
I confess: I found therapy to be a mixed blessing. I enjoyed being able to talk to my problems with a professional, but I don't think it really solved anything.

And there's the rub: I think the only way for therapy to truly be effective is to use it as a catalyst to work on yourself, on your own. It's not easy, it took me years to figure out how to do it, but I did. I think anyone can do it if they put in the effort.

I must confess: Most modern TV shows turn me off. I find them either too self-conscious, too smug, or too violent.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 04/24/16 07:30 AM
I must confess: I'm burning out on facebook. Trumped up politics, trumped up outrages, trumped up "feel good stories sold as true but are made up", trumped up "if you like me, you really like me, you'll repost this and share to show how much you care" posts.

I don't care. Shut up.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 04/24/16 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

And there's the rub: I think the only way for therapy to truly be effective is to use it as a catalyst to work on yourself, on your own. It's not easy, it took me years to figure out how to do it, but I did. I think anyone can do it if they put in the effort.

Very true, Fanfie.

I must confess: The best form of therapy for me has been volunteering to help others.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: I must confess: - 04/25/16 07:34 AM
I must confess: I don't see therapy for me as a long term thing, but it's been great post-divorce
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 04/25/16 10:02 AM
I must confess: I stress out way too much over little things.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 05/06/16 11:07 PM
I must confess: I'm burning out on facebook. Trumped up politics, trumped up outrages, trumped up "feel good stories sold as true but are made up", trumped up "if you like me, you really like me, you'll repost this and share to show how much you care" posts.

I don't care. Shut up.

Next stop: REDDIT!! poke

... Aaaanyway, I must confess:

I've never watched nor read Game of Thrones and I likely never will. Not my customary genre.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: I must confess: - 05/07/16 12:14 AM
I confess: I've recently become addicted to using Reddit. angel blush
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 05/07/16 07:35 AM
I must confess: I joined facebook because of Carol and Michael. And with Lasher gone, I don't gotta lot of reason to still be there.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: I must confess: - 05/07/16 06:46 PM
As long as you don't leave us, your Crankiness! smile
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 05/07/16 10:57 PM
Nevah!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 05/09/16 11:57 AM
I must confess... only one cup of coffee today. My stomach's being kind of twitchy.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 07/08/17 11:29 PM
I must confess: bumping threads is about the only vice I still have left, so don't take it away from me.

flag
Posted By: SharkLad Re: I must confess: - 07/18/17 01:06 AM
I ate an entire box of Entemann's chocolate chip cookies while I was supposed to be out picking up my daughter's prescription...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 07/18/17 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Another confession: I always thought The Far Side was mean-spirited crap.

My confession: The Far Side stands the test of time for me far better than Peanuts. I guess that even though I think of myself as a sentimental person, sometimes a little honest meanness is just what I need. grin

Larson does have a pessimistic view of human nature (and intelligence), but in contrast he seems to delight a lot in drawing and zeroing in on Nature itself. And he seems to root for it to triumph over human foolishness, which seems overly optimistic now given our obvious penchant for destroying the planet and dragging all its inhabitants down with us. But who knows? There's still the saying that "Nature bats last."

In one of his collections, Larson has a dedication to his older brother, who used to shove him into mud puddles and spiders' webs and so forth. Behaving like, well... a sibling. We do tend to mistreat each other as kids, though hopefully we grow out of it eventually. shocked Larson thanks his brother for creating the worldview that shaped his craft and caused him to avoid a style of storytelling more reminiscent of The Smurfs or The Care Bears. (Accompanying this dedication is a deliberately terrible alt-universe drawing of a dog and cat hugging and thanking each other for being such great friends. lol )
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 07/19/17 06:54 PM
Good points well taken, Cleome. I especially appreciated your sharing that bit of Gary Larson's backstory. Unlike Larson, but not unlike Charles Schulz, I was an only child, and I spent all my free time either drawing, writing, losing myself in the TV or the radio, or hiding out from my same-age tormentors in the safety of my bedroom. So it seems natural I would favor Schulz's world-view: introspective, melancholy, somewhat whimsical, sometimes sentimental and other times passive-agressive.

I must confess: I'm more likely to listen to Patty Smyth (with or without Scandal) than I am to listen to the Patti Smith Band.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: I must confess: - 07/19/17 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by cleome51
In one of his collections, Larson has a dedication to his older brother, who used to shove him into mud puddles and spiders' webs and so forth. Behaving like, well... a sibling. We do tend to mistreat each other as kids, though hopefully we grow out of it eventually.

When my nephews were young, they could not be left alone together in the same room. The older one has cerebral palsy and one time some neighbor kids were teasing him. He came in crying. As my sister was comforting him, his brother(about age 7) was bouncing around saying "Do you want me to go beat them up?"
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 07/19/17 10:32 PM
Even though this is the confession thread, don't get me started on my childhood. shake It's a miracle that any of us speak to each other at all.
Posted By: houseofel Re: I must confess: - 07/24/17 09:27 PM
I must confess circuses make me sad. Saw a dancing bear once and it wrecked me
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: I must confess: - 07/25/17 02:47 PM
I must confess to you, sir, I am no fighter: I am false of heart that way; and that he knew, I warrant...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 07/25/17 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by houseofel
I must confess circuses make me sad. Saw a dancing bear once and it wrecked me

I watch a lot of the Big Cat Rescue videos on YouTube, and your reaction was the correct one.

We saw one circus when I was maybe seven or eight, and that was it. Mostly I remember being in the nosebleed seats and so being unable to see anything. In retrospect, this was good.
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: I must confess: - 08/26/17 12:30 AM
I must confess I sometimes enjoy coming here, just to read my old fan-fiction.

Not anyone else's. Just mine.

Yes, I know I am a wicked, wicked man.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 08/26/17 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477

Klar, I do the exact same thing...quite often, actually.

Just call me Flavia the Heretic. lol grin
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: I must confess: - 08/26/17 03:25 PM
[quote=Klar Ken T5477]Just call me Flavia the Heretic. lol grin

I must confess... I actually know what the 'nunsploitation' genre is. evil
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 08/26/17 04:44 PM
[quote=Klar Ken T5477]Just call me Flavia the Heretic. lol grin

I must confess... I actually know what the 'nunsploitation' genre is. evil

I must confess...I've actually watched "Alucarda, la hija de tinieblas." blush
Posted By: Set Re: I must confess: - 08/26/17 05:55 PM

I must confess, my memory is so terrible, that I've caught myself reading something and liking it, and a dozen or so pages in realized why it seemed so familiar, *because I wrote it!*

I must confess that razsolo's fanfic sometimes causes this confusion in me, and I catch myself wondering where I got such a cool idea, before remembering that someone else wrote it, and that the reason I can tell where the scene is going is because I read it before, years ago...

It's worse because I have most of my fanfic on a webpage, so you'd think I could keep better track of what I've written and what I have not.

Some people suffer from losing their mind. I seem to be enjoying the ride!
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 08/27/17 01:56 AM
I must confess:

A few minutes ago, I bumped the Non-Sequitor thread, and re-read the last few pages.

And I discovered that even I can't figure out some of my own nonsense wordplay posts!

shocked
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: I must confess: - 08/27/17 05:25 PM
I must confess:

I am SO eager to meet my new students tomorrow!!!!
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 08/27/17 11:47 PM
The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are a lot of fun. yes, I know, Legion is still the best. But honestly, I doubt a full Legion movie live action would have the great music that GotG does. Songs from my childhood, and people going apedookie over them while I'm sitting over here going "yeah, remember than one...that one...that one..."
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 08/28/17 12:30 AM
The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are a lot of fun. yes, I know, Legion is still the best. But honestly, I doubt a full Legion movie live action would have the great music that GotG does. Songs from my childhood, and people going apedookie over them while I'm sitting over here going "yeah, remember than one...that one...that one..."

I saw the second one after a friend sold me on it, and went in with a willingness to accept it on its own terms. And I thought the first hour was a wonderful roller-coaster ride. But then it got kind of weird with the whole "dysfunctional family...of space" vibe. confused
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 09/10/17 02:32 AM
I must confess...I've grown to despise Star Wars and the leia cosplay. It has got to be the most overblown, overhyped, insulting fanboy putdown "nerdboy joygasm" idea. "Oh, every fanboy spent his youth fapping to Slave Leia."

No, no they didn't. As a straight male teenage nerdish fanboy, I really didn't.

I liked the ladies from Buck Rogers.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 10/14/17 12:41 AM
I don't find Stephen King scary. I do however, find him very funny.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: I must confess: - 10/20/17 04:50 PM
...It's almost 10AM and I need to get up off my [redacted] and do something useful.

(Alas, trawling for dollar CDs on ebay doesn't really count as "something useful.")
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 10/20/17 05:17 PM
... sometimes I worry too much about that thing I just said. But... well, I already said it.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 01/06/18 05:46 PM
I shamelessly overact to get my wife to make me brownies with JIF. (She secretly loves it.)
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 01/07/18 01:51 AM
I realized that I fail to appreciate how relatively fortunate I am in life. I know it on a factual level, but...
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 01/17/18 11:11 PM
I love my son beyond all reason. Currently he's sick. Why? Because he wouldn't listen, went outside in the cold with no shoes and wet hair.

Wears jackets in summer and goes summer dressed in winter.

Feel bad for him right now, but the sympathy meter is running low.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 11/24/22 11:43 AM
I must confess, I prefer Henry Corden to Alan Reed as the voice of Fred Flintstone.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 11/26/22 02:54 PM
that im feeling my age lately. 2:30 am start times, 14 hour days fighting traffic in construction zones. My age is starting to be a factor. That sucks.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 11/27/22 07:37 AM
Sorry to hear, Rick. We aren’t the same age but I also feel myself aging… we all go through it, doesn’t necessarily make it any easier though
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 11/27/22 11:44 PM
that im feeling my age lately. 2:30 am start times, 14 hour days fighting traffic in construction zones. My age is starting to be a factor. That sucks.

When I was in my teens I was working shifts on vacation. I couldn't get used to getting up at 4:30am and was ill every day for a fortnight, before the shift moved on. I never got used to it. 2:30am? Not a chance.
So, perhaps it's not age but just that it's a pretty rubbish set of working hours for anyone. smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 11/28/22 08:51 AM
The human body wasn't meant to consistently be awake during the night smile that's the Kathooni body, not the human body

it would be tough on anyone
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/18/22 01:23 AM
Thanks guys, but it's been nearly forty years of hard work. I started working tobacco, moved up to prestress concrete yard laborer, and well... there've only been one or two lobs for very short periods that didn't take a lot of physical wear. Add in to that all the actual damage, stress and worry...time takes it's toll. I ain't as spry as I was. When you go to jump down off the ladder of the trailer and suddenly your body goes "Oh HELL NO! We DO NOT do that anymore". and your mind still thinks it's 20 years younger, it's jolting. The mirror don't lie, but the mind does. And the body? heheheheh. Not only doesn't it lie, but it'll bunk off when you ain't lookin.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/18/22 01:16 PM
That's what I tell myself when I go out Friday night, and have trouble getting up Saturday

I pushed myself so much at work and social engagements last week, last night I ended up catching a cold
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/24/22 12:20 AM
Just saw this. Hope you feel better, Ibby.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/24/22 06:16 AM
Thanks Rick smile considerably, it looks like I’ll be well in time for Christmas !
Posted By: stile86 Re: I must confess: - 12/25/22 12:35 AM
Yay!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 12/25/22 08:53 AM
thanks, stile smile
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 03/16/23 04:32 AM
While I'm still vigilant driving a rig, I have less and less sympathy for drivers in wrecks. I know, I know, sometimes real accidents happen and people that have done nothing to deserve it are hurt. I'm not heartless. But, I also have seen people cut off, people thinking they are living in a fast and furious movie, adults of a "certain age" that should know better driving distracted with their phones, people on the shoulder passing because of impatience, people running their brights while tailgating someone following the speed limit...It boggles the mind how many stupid things I see each day, much less during a week.

after nearly ten years, it starts to get aggravating.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 03/16/23 08:26 AM
I honestly don't miss driving, I find taking the train or bus much less stressful. Because of what you describe, rick; a lot of people acting dangerously on the road
Posted By: stile86 Re: I must confess: - 03/17/23 12:06 AM
Every time I see someone cut in front of a truck I wonder what is going through their head (other than the boot of their car) and think of the beleaguered truck driver that had to break and probably just saved their life. Good on you Rick.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 04/08/23 12:41 PM
I took yesterday, good friday off. Not because I'm particularly religious, I'm not. But because it was Good Friday. While I have a habit of voicing my frustrations in the truck simply to get them out so I don't let them fester at stupid, dangerous, and highly idiotic drivers, I know how it is on the roads for semi's on holidays. And the start of the summer vacation/spring break season around my home is particularly nasty. I live just off I95 and Hwy 378 in South Carolina. Lots of beach tourists and travelers.

So, even though I need to earn a living, I didn't feel the need to have my blood pressure shoot through the roof because of bad, dangerous, discourteous drivers. I didn't want to bring that aggravation home to my family. Add to that the money hungry local cops, the highway patrol and the DOT cops just waiting to fine, and causing dangerous situations by pulling idiots over in even more dangerous locations....just not a good combo.

So, Instead, I spent time with family, ate good food, and smoked horrendous cigars that actually caused pigpen to get up and leave.

Hey, gotta have something for myself. wink
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 04/08/23 01:40 PM
Very wise decision, Rick. A little bit of well-earned rest and relaxation.

Glad it worked out so well.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 04/08/23 02:46 PM
good choice, Rick! enjoy your well-earned R&R!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 04/08/23 04:52 PM
Time well spent, Rick.
Posted By: stile86 Re: I must confess: - 04/09/23 12:10 AM
Great choice Rick. Steer clear of the idiots and have some good family time. Good stuff.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 05/21/23 02:28 PM
Carol just made English muffins with PB and J, sausage, eggs, and a fruit bowl. I broke my food control for that PB and J but it was WORTH it! FOODGASM!
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 05/21/23 02:32 PM
YUMMY! drool

Glad to hear that, Rick.

It really is worth it sometimes -- what's life without the occasional foodgasm?
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 05/21/23 05:06 PM
foodgasm!!

I confess, my husband and I have a weakness to good food and drink... but we always say, at least if we get fat, we get fat together
Posted By: stile86 Re: I must confess: - 05/22/23 03:28 AM
Yum!
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 07/02/23 03:42 AM
I always liked slightly older women, dusky hued and deadly.

I married the palest redheaded white girl in the world.

Before finding the right person you have ideas of what it is you want. Then you meet the real thing and find out what you love.

We've now been married for 20 years. Taken a lot of hits by life, and I always stood back up after getting knocked down. But she makes it easier to stand up again.

It's great going through life with someone you love that has your back.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 07/02/23 10:25 AM
that's awesome, Rick!

and I agree, dating and relationships can help one learn about oneself. I used to think I'd go for someone slightly older, who was a gym bunny. My husband is slightly younger, but very mature, and has a bit of a belly - but he's amazing and is my whole world. when the real thing is there, it's there smile
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 07/02/23 12:27 PM
Very Good, Ibby. I'm glad you found someone to make you happy. When we let go of what the think we want, it makes it easier to find what we love.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 07/02/23 01:17 PM
thanks Rick smile and likewise, glad you and the Mrs. are still going strong!
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 07/02/23 02:00 PM
Thanks for sharing, guys.

Very happy for both of you.

Gives me renewed hope.

On a somewhat similar note, I must confess that I realized recently I'm not the happy go lucky person I thought I was. I was actually a profound pessimist constantly looking for others to prove me wrong. Now that I've accepted that about myself, I'm moving towards a more balanced outlook.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 07/02/23 06:17 PM
thank you Fanfie! and I'm happy for you and your realization, that sounds like a very nice bit of personal growth!
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 07/03/23 08:10 PM
Good for you, Ann. The old saying "Know thyself" is so simple, yet very difficult. But we have faith in you.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 07/07/23 11:44 PM
I'm thoroughly sick of this fuckin week. First, Red passes on the 4th. He's the man I built my house with. The two of us did 95% of the work. I've known him since I can remember, he's known me longer.

Then, I gave up the 4th to take a run because they've been in short supply lately and the bonus for working on a holiday was pretty good. I was looking at a decent week, until the last two runs of the week crapped out on me. So, today I did two carbon loads which pay only okay, not good, not great, just basically maintaining.

Then, I get within a mile of the house and Carol calls me to say "Hey, the car's broke down. It'll go in reverse, but not forward." So, i head to town, we get triple a on the line, 20 minute wait. 20 minutes turns into 3.5 hrs...in the South Carolina sun, on asphalt, in July. I run out of cigars, so carol comes back from the house to let me go get them, only for me to find out that now Murphy USA has turned into that bunch of business dickheads that wanna scan your drivers license.

Now I have to find a new gas station to buy from.

So yeah. Fuck this week.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 07/08/23 07:34 AM
aw man, I'm sorry Rick. that's a lot to come piling on in one week.

and my condolences for Red, sounds like he was an amazing guy
Posted By: stile86 Re: I must confess: - 07/09/23 12:09 AM
Sounds liked it sucked. So sorry to hear about Red. That's rough.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 07/18/23 11:47 PM
I must confess I don't like myself very much. Yesterday, I looked at an article about people who seek validation too much. It was like looking in a fun house mirror. I've been in therapy my entire adult life, and I still don't understand where this childish neediness is coming from. But it's there, and it makes me do crazy things, like fretting when people don't comment on my fan fics, or when they don't reply to my other posts, or my texts or emails. I actually feel deeply ashamed of myself for even making this post, but I'm at a point where I'll try almost anything to quiet down the noise in my head.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 02:55 AM
The hardest thing in the world for some people is to look inward, and once having done so, accept what they see as is, and decide to change that. Once you accept who you are, you can work on becoming who you want to be.

I'm 55 and still working on it. It's an ongoing process. Expecting instant change is a stumbling block. Change takes time, and sometimes, it's only a change because you decide to be that person, even though you feel deep down you aren't.

No one is perfect. Just give yourself the challenge to do/be the best you can, that's all you can do. And if you were as bad as you think, you wouldn't be so popular here, liked and respected as a member of this community. If nothing else, start from there and go run your race.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 08:09 AM
What rick said, Annfie. Self-awareness is the first step, and it;s good that you are comfortable and strong enough to be honest with others about what you feel and think. being open and honest with others goes a long way!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 09:55 AM
As above, but would like to mention that self awareness should also come with perspective.

For example, awareness of feelings such as fretting that there aren't Bits comments. Lots of social media platforms, and other forums, have likes and reposts as part of their central model. Because they know there's a little rush loads of people get from them. So, there's almost a little withdrawal when there isn't the affirmation.

So you're fretting over something that's human nature. And on a forum where the traffic reading Bits will be smaller, in a niche in the world of comics.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 01:30 PM
Thanks for the good advice, everybody.

You are very kind.

I've decided to take a few weeks off from Legion World, to work on myself and to work on reaching out more to people.

See you in September.

hug love

CalorieQueen
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 03:47 PM
Well just you remember what Rick said...

Originally Posted by Rick
If you were as bad as you think, you wouldn't be so popular here, liked and respected as a member of this community. If not.

...and get back here as soon as you can. We agree once in a blue moon, and I'll miss that. smile

Take care, Annfie
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 08:52 PM
I've definitely had the experience of being disappointed when I check the boards to see what kind of response my latest brilliantly crafted post has received only to find that no one has acknowledge it.

But then I always think about how erratic I myself can be about responding to stuff even when I'm interested in it, and realize that it's best not to take things like that personally.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 08:55 PM
it's not you, it's us; people get busy, or just plain tired.

I, for one, try not to respond TOO much lest I take over a conversation, for example.
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 08:58 PM
Make it back soon Annie!

I get the exact same way - I get very little feedback from my writing and it frustrates me also. I just got passed over for a work award when the rest of my team was recognized, so I feel like a pretty massive failure in most of what I do, even though I know rationally that I am not. Its hard.

We will be super happy to see you back when you're ready!
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 09:24 PM
I wish I had more time and energy to read/comment on stuff in Bits. I'm almost always impressed when I do read something, but it's hard to get to these days.

I've been feeling disappointed in myself for lack of motivation lately. There's all these things that I want to be doing, and that I know I'd be happier if I was doing them, and there's nothing stopping me from doing them (which there was for along time), and yet I find myself not actually doing them, and I just don't understand why.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 09:40 PM
GL, sorry to hear about that work bit. but indeed, that's not the be-all end-all of your worth

EDE, I empathize, it takes time and energy to dive into some Bits work. especially when it's long-running stuff. re motivation, it comes in waves for me - I just think about all the long stretches of dormancy I've had in my own writing. those tended to coincide with other priorities, like finishing my Master's and finding a job in Europe... I've learned from that that sometimes it's external circumstances that slow things down
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: I must confess: - 07/19/23 09:52 PM
Yep, agree with the time thing. I'm really waiting for things to ease back down, but it will likely be in the fall. While we are mostly moved in, we have a project to finish the basement about to kick off soon that will take time. I typically take notes as I read so I can make intelligent comments but that all takes time.
Posted By: stile86 Re: I must confess: - 07/20/23 09:43 AM
Probably too late for you to read Annfie, but you are so good at pouring out your love when we need it here on the boards. I hope you can do the same for someone else who needs and deserves it - you.

Take care and look forward to hearing from you again.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 07/20/23 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I wish I had more time and energy to read/comment on stuff in Bits. I'm almost always impressed when I do read something, but it's hard to get to these days.

I've been feeling disappointed in myself for lack of motivation lately. There's all these things that I want to be doing, and that I know I'd be happier if I was doing them, and there's nothing stopping me from doing them (which there was for along time), and yet I find myself not actually doing them, and I just don't understand why.

If you figure anything out, let us know. smile I was just thinking the same the other day.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: I must confess: - 08/07/23 06:27 PM
With my Bits fanfic, I've learned that I'm really writing for myself. I have one unfinished story that I know I've got to finish...for myself. I set out to write it, so I could riff on a planned-but-never-written concept that Exnihil and Cobie were planning called Time War. I'm a sucker for time travel and alternate timelines, so I new that I had to write something that was a sort of spin-off to Time War. It was also a good way for me to work out how much I missed (and still miss) Cobie here by writing a story about his absence and the absence of others. I was kinda hoping Cobie would see it and somehow come back, honestly.

So I still think about the story a lot and how it ends, and I've never left a story unfinished, even if I came back to it later. Maybe I drag my heels on it because it could effectively be my last LMBverse story, the way things are looking. But I fully intend to finish it. For myself.

And then there are my Roundtable threads I recently revived. There was a time when a thread about the run between Levitz runs would have attracted a lot of attention, but it's harder with the relatively smaller group of regulars we have now. I thought about doing a spin-off focusing on the Pete Ross trilogy in DC Comics Presents because it bugs the CRAP out of me, but I don't think many of the current regulars are even familiar with it. So I haven't done it.

So I must confess: I entirely relate.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: I must confess: - 08/07/23 06:44 PM
I really wish we could increase the number of active posters, but between not having a regular Legion title, the fact that the only one we've had in the past decade or so not exactly going over very well, and competition from other social meda, I'm just not sure there's any way to do so.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 08/07/23 06:49 PM
We could send a scout into ... The Faraway Lands!

I've stacks of notes kicking around. I figure if EDE picks up on the Tel Vole/ Luthor connection, he'll eventually write them all for me.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 08/07/23 09:08 PM
Lardy: I get you, often when I write, I just need to get something out of my head.

EDE: I wish it too, but indeed, you've listed some good reasons for why activity has quieted down.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: I must confess: - 08/07/23 09:25 PM
Then again... looking at some of the stuff that gets posted on LSH groups on FB, I'm kind of glad that some of those people aren't posting here. wink
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: I must confess: - 08/07/23 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Then again... looking at some of the stuff that gets posted on LSH groups on FB, I'm kind of glad that some of those people aren't posting here. wink

Oh, yeah! nod There was some NASTY stuff about the reimagined Legionnaires in the Bendisboot a few days ago! gasp
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 08/08/23 08:18 AM
ugh, I saw that. would have soured me on FB... if I hadn't already been soured on FB!
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 08/17/23 10:37 AM
I must confess:

I couldn't wait until September!

hug

love
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 08/17/23 10:50 AM
glad to have you back, Annfie smile
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 08/17/23 10:58 AM
Thanks, Ibby!
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: I must confess: - 08/17/23 03:00 PM
YAY! Welcome back!!!
Posted By: stile86 Re: I must confess: - 08/18/23 02:20 AM
Always good to hear from you Ann.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 08/18/23 12:23 PM
Thanks, GL and Stile.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 08/22/23 12:24 AM
Welcome back, Ma'am.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 08/22/23 10:58 AM
Thanks, Rick.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 09/12/23 08:44 PM
My friend Mike says I have an upside down horseshoe up my ass, because not only whatever can go wrong does, but apparently new things that should be impossible to go wrong happen with me during work. It just ain't possible for so many things to go wrong with just one person. I'm gettin' reaaaal tired of it.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 09/12/23 09:36 PM
my grandparents always taught me that bad luck and good luck come in waves/cycles. hopefully, that horseshoe turns right-side up soon, rick
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 09/12/23 09:48 PM
my grandparents always taught me that bad luck and good luck come in waves/cycles. hopefully, that horseshoe turns right-side up soon, rick

What he said.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 09/14/23 12:24 AM
Then holy shit I'm due about nine years of some incredible good luck. And I ain' talking luck lords luck, either. That shit better make it rain gold and shit diamonds in my yard with no one around to grab it but me.

I've lost runs, I've lost hours to make other runs, I've had plugs that shouldn't be...and today is wednesday. I have the Sidam touch, everything I touch turns to shit work wise.

I've got a couple of friends, when I tell them the shit that goes on, they cannot get it. I'm the bad luck driver for the company. It's getting so old... so very old.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 09/14/23 06:31 AM
Wish there was a foolproof way to get you some good luck, rick!
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: I must confess: - 09/14/23 10:06 PM
Praying for a healthy turnaround, friend Rick.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 09/15/23 10:58 PM
So, It's friday. I did NOTHING to set up for next week. I bobtailed home to avoid bringing anything from this week over to next week. This morning was the capper, and then Atlanta just pissed on my leg.

So, I'm going into the weekend with a good outlook, in spite of the week. I won't say that next week can't be worse, because it can, but I'm choosing to think it won't.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 09/15/23 10:59 PM
And...Gloria Gaynor is fuckin' awesome.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 09/16/23 08:32 AM
that's the spirit, rick! have an amazing weekend!
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 11/18/23 04:51 AM
that a couple of weeks ago I moved over from plastics to calcium runs. It's a dedicated run, three times a week with a preload for the next week. If it runs correctly, I'll be making just a couple hundred shy of my weekly goal. Less than plastics when plastics is running correctly. But plastics hasn't been running correctly. With the downturn in the economy, runs are drying up and that means manufactoring is starting to turn down. When that happens, plastics turns down. There have been full weeks in the last few months where I've run for 60+ hours and taken home less than seven hundred dollars.

And though the first few weeks have been marred by plant problems that seem to be worked out now and next week, thanksgiving... but, the stress man. The stress is gone. No more waking up in the middle of the night with my heart racing due to stress and worry about bills and digging out runs and then having to fight with payroll over shortages. The dispatch for Calcium, Robin, is a woman that thinks like me. There's a job to do, do the job, keep her in the loop, and get the hell home. If suppliers or customers hold me up beyond reason, then detention time becomes a factor.

I've been in a much better mood the last couple of weeks. Plastics shorted me nearly $300 on a paycheck and honestly, I'm probably not gonna do anything about it. I consider it a small price to pay to be out of that shitpot cesspool of backstabbing brownnosing asskissing assholes and into a smooth running operation. And I didn't even have to change companies to do it. So, no loss of seniority or vacation time.

Carol commented that I got home and actually smiled.

Now, i just need a decent seat in my truck and life will be severely okay.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: I must confess: - 11/18/23 06:15 AM
What a difference. And within the same company too. The Rickshaw and Robin team (monthly from DC) sounds like a winner. Looking forward to hearing those stress levels as a thing of the past.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: I must confess: - 11/18/23 11:26 AM
wowza, what a huge change in your quality of life. that's awesome, Rick!
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 11/18/23 07:36 PM
Glad to hear that, Rick!
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 12/01/23 07:05 PM
Thank you, guys. And here's an update I just posted at the Crow! thread.

Edit Reply Quote
bit of story here.

For the last two years work has been hell. Between having to fight for runs, taking absolute shit just to try to make a paycheck, and dealing with a narcissistic dispatch that likes to micro manage without giving the needed info, having to fight for correct pay, working 70 hrs a week every week and getting home only to have a glass of whiskey to give me a few hours of respite from the beating and pain of running those hours on terrible road conditions, it's just been...mean. I would get home, have my glass, and lay on the bed trying to physically recover over the weekend just to be able to go the next week. I've dealt with constant, never ending pain for nearly 35 years now with my leg, but it was wearing on me. I wasn't mean to Carol and Sam, but I wasn't the man I wanted to be around them, either. Cranky Mcbasstard was becoming a reality instead of just a joke.

Well, a few weeks ago I switched out of the plastics division. I went to cement. Again, long hours, a little less pay, but the new dispatch, Robin, is a joy to work for. Then a dedicated calcium run came up. I grabbed it. Monday, tuesday and wednesday, and the pay was better than cement but less than plastic when it actually ran, and actually paid correctly. There are two dedicated calcium runs. I, being the low man once again, had the rougher run. The better run is Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. The run is a long full run over I26 and I85. Problem is, they are currently under construction. This causes delays, and even the slightest delay throws you off schedule. It was literally the only stressful part of the new run. Still, I had shed so much stress, it was literally a breath of fresh air.

Yesterday Robin told me that the other driver wanted to switch to the MTW run and give me the MTT run. I said yes. The other driver thinks this will give him thursday and friday off. Problem is, it really won't. He'll spend most of thursday trying to catch up, and likely be late on his deliveries those three days. But, to do this, he tried an end run around Robin, tried to go over her head and have the terminal manager make the switch without asking me. This pissed Robin off, rightly so. But, he's never done the MTW run, and doesn't know just how rough it is.

I was prepared to run it without saying anything and hoping to get it months or a year or two down the line if he left and I became senior on it.

I said Yes to Robin, and then we really talked. He's been a problem for her, going behind her back, cutting her out of decisions that he should not have, and other things. We quitely laughed because i told her "there's an old saying that covers this..."Fuck around and find out". And then we both started really laughing.

So, instead of the constant, nervous, hard push to make times and make correct decisions with half or less the needed knowledge, I now get a run that basically gives me Wednesday and Friday off, pays very well, and is 90% stress free.

After years of hell, something finally broke my way. And for once, with good news there isn't the following impending sense of "Oh hell, what's the catch/next shoe to drop/impending sense of doom.

I dont' know whether to shit or go blind.

I'm home, not hurting all that bad, and have a smile for my family.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: I must confess: - 04/11/24 10:50 PM
I must confess: I can't watch movies all the way through anymore, even older ones that I like. The ol' attention span ain't what it used to be.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: I must confess: - 04/11/24 10:54 PM
I had gained patience when Sam was born through his early teen years. My patience, now, is completely shot. And the worst part is, I can't even pretend to have patience any more.
© Legion World