Legion World
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/30/12 09:54 PM
all-

John's wife reports on Facebook that John is no longer with us. A long-time friend of his alluded to as much in another post on his wall.

I do not know the particulars any more than that.

I met John several times. A hell of a nice guy, a gentle soul with a keen sense of humor. A newlywed, he will never know the daughter he and his wife have been expecting, and I find that truly heartbreaking.

Rest in peace, my friend.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/30/12 09:59 PM
So sad.

My condolences to John's family.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/30/12 10:00 PM
frown

RIP.
Posted By: Pov Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/30/12 10:20 PM
ElasticLad

Awful, awful news... RIP John... frown
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/30/12 10:23 PM
Just saw the post from his wife. Apparently he had a heart attack this morning.

He and his wife are expecting their first child.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/30/12 10:30 PM
Holy cow, how horrible. frown He had only just gotten married a couple months ago, as well.

I only met John once, back in 2009, but I echo Kent's sentiments above - he was a very sweet and good-natured fellow, and our community will be poorer for his loss.

Rest in peace, John.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/30/12 11:20 PM
Terrible News. So sorry to hear.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 12:15 AM
RIP John. You will be missed.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 12:29 AM
May his soul rest in peace.

His wife and soon-to-be-born daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Jerry Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 12:45 AM
I add my condolences. I never met John in person, but his posts here reflected a kind spirit and warm sense of humor. Rest well.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 12:59 AM
Oh no, this is terrible news. I'm stunned to hear this. I've known John, like a lot of us, for years on LW and also got to meet him in San Diego.

He was a real cool guy with a fun sense of humor. I'm really going to miss him!

And his poor wife and daughter....this is really heart-breaking.

frown
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 01:08 AM
I met John at the big LW meetup in San Diego in '08. He was a really great guy and way too young. How sad that his little girl will never know her daddy.

Rest in peace, my friend.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 01:27 AM
Hate to hear any of us have gone on. Very sad. I've seen his posts before, he seemed a good guy.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 01:59 AM
Rest in peace, John... my condolences to his wife and family...
Sad news. Rest in peace, and may the family find solace.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 02:40 AM
frown
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 02:42 AM
Good God...this is horrible.

So saddened by this. I only know John through here and on FB...where I have had a great time interacting with him.

Oh dear...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 03:16 AM
Thinking of John, I remembered a story he told of the San Diego Comic Con. It seems while walking about at the Con he saw Jonathan Frakes talking to a woman. He went up to Mr. Frakes and asked if he would mind having his picture taken together. Mr. Frakes said "sure" & John asked the woman if she would mind taking the picture. She did and after the picture was taken, Mr. Frakes said something to the effect that he was surprised that John didn't want the woman in the picture too. As the two of the walked away, John realized that the woman was Marina Sirtis.
Posted By: KryptonKid Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 03:48 AM
Thanks, Quislet, Esq. Whenever we lose someone we also lose a thousand living stories. Peace, John, you will be missed.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 04:56 AM
Very sad news.
Posted By: .. Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 04:59 AM
I never knew him well, but I did enjoy his art on bits when he a chance to post some.
Sad news for his friends and family frown
Posted By: Blacula Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 05:34 AM
Gosh. What sad news. I only knew him via his posts here but he always seemed like a nice, fun guy.

Rest in Peace, John.

frown
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 06:27 AM
I was floored when I saw heard the news on Facebook and was hoping I simply misread it. Like many others here I mainly knew him online but had the privilege of meeting him at our big get together in at SDCC'08. He was a really nice guy and a pleasure to know. He sounded so happy lately online enjoying being married and looking forward to the birth his daughter. Rest in peace man.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 07:17 AM
I'm horrified and in shock... LOVED seeing his posts on Facebook about the woman he obviously adored!

I still have an unreturned "POKE" from him, I was saving for just the right moment...

This is the definition of tragic. frown
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 07:22 AM
This is terrible! He just got married and his sweet, beautiful bride is pregnant!
I met John & Addie last year and we clicked instantly. He was a big, laid back, too-smart-for-his-own-good, teddy bear of a man. He was witty & friendly & treated me like an old friend, even though we just met. He put up with my flaming, multiple hugs & kisses, and ever since, he's been my FB super-friend; always sending me private messages & pokes, and always posting stuff I might find of interest on my wall.
I'm too shocked to even process this. Is existence really this random? Are we really this unimportant in the grand scheme of things? Why is Addie-this wonderful person-being punished this way?? I'm so angry & lost right now, I can't scream loud enough!! We are nothing in the creator's eyes. NOTHING!!!!
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 09:18 AM
John & Adero on their wedding day, Dec.2, 2011.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kid Charlemagne Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 09:42 AM
I guess this man posted here before I ever found this site, for this is the first I've heard of him.

May he rest in peace, and may his survivors find solace in this hard time.

"Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as ravens' claws."--James Douglas Morrison
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 01:39 PM
hug for Rhino.

KC, John had posted less in recent years than he used to, but he would still post occasionally.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 02:37 PM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
He ... treated me like an old friend, even though we just met.
Absolutely. That's exactly what I thought when I heard about this last night.

Kent and I were waiting in the lobby of the NYC Comic Con, waiting to meet some other LWers to go out to dinner. As we stood there chatting, suddenly, this fellow I had never seen before started approaching me and, before even saying who he was, just outstretched his arms and hugged me.

"Oh, OK, Hi there". smile

That's making me smile even as I type it.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 02:59 PM
Incredibly sad. Hope his wife will be OK.
Posted By: mechana Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 03:47 PM
I met John just once, in 2006, but this tragic news still brought me to sad and shocked tears. My heartfelt condolences to his loved ones.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 03:48 PM
Sheesh

RIP lJ
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 03:51 PM
Like many, I met John too at San Diego. He was a really nice guy and very funny. He will be missed.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 04:08 PM
a few scattered memories: John and I busting on Abin during our drive from Vegas to San Diego. When he'd respond, John and I would say "You're right, Abin," as patronizingly as we could just to get his goat...

John and I (along with Monkey-Eater Lad and maybe a few others) were published in the 2008 San D Con guide, among the many Legion anniversary submissions.

Chatting about real-life stuff. He had intended to return to school right around the same time I did... years later, we found that we had both been at the School of Visual Arts in NYC right around the same time... little stuff like that.
Posted By: Director Lad Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 05:47 PM
This is the worst news I've heard in a long time. I'm actually having a hard time processing it. I met John just the once at SDCC '08, but we've been friends on FB ever since. I was so happy for him when he and Addie married last year. They seemed like the perfect match. It breaks my heart that they had so little time together and, worse, that his child will never know him.
Goodbye John.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 06:27 PM
This is horrible. I've met John several times over the years at Comic-Con. It's hard to believe I won't be seeing him again.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 07:14 PM
Rhino - hug
Actually, group hug hug hug .

I wish I understood everything, but I don't.

I'm glad he had the loving life that his friends have revealed here and I'm sad that he's gone so soon.

My prayers go out for his family and friends for comfort during this time of grief.
Posted By: Suddenly Seymour Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 09:25 PM
I saw a flurry of posts on Facebook this afternoon and finally made the connection. This is so sad -- I so wish I'd tried harder to contact him about my New York trip.

My heart go out to his wife and daughter. You, too, Rhino.

I hope they find comfort in seeing how many people knew and loved him -- even if just in the virtual world.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 01/31/12 11:52 PM
I just made the connection as well, as I didn't visit MMB last night. I saw some references from several LMBers on FB and thought a celebrity or something had died. This is much, much worse.

Never met the guy (or, regretfully, any of you to this point), but he always came off as sweet and genuine as you guys who have met him say.

This is a terrible, terrible loss for our community. as terrible as it is for us, I can't comprehend how horrible it is and will be for his wife, his family and his unborn daughter. It's taking everything I can muster to keep from crying because the tragedy of this is so overwhelming. The only reason I fight it is because my wife and little boys are all very nearby, and i don't want to upset them.

Just wanted you to know that I love all you guys, and I feel privileged to know all of you.

Rest in peace, John.
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 01:28 AM
Rest in peace, LEGIONJohn...and tell Hi to Yellow Kid for us.

my heartfelt condolence to his wife and daughter.
Posted By: Ravenette84 Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 01:38 AM
I am beyond shocked by this news.
I don't even have words to express how heartbroken I am that he is gone.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Ravenette84:
My condolences to you Raven.
Posted By: Ravenette84 Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 01:44 AM
Thanks Quislet, I can only imagine how his poor wife feels.
He was an amazing man.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 01:45 AM
From John's Facebook page, here is a link to make donations to cover his funeral expenses.

http://www.gofundme.com/dx2h4
Posted By: kenaustin Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 01:52 AM
My thoughts and condolences go out to his family & friends...especially to his wife.

So sad...
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Ravenette84:
hugs!
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 03:10 AM
Thank you for that link, Quis. Please, folks, if you can afford it, Addie needs this tangible assistance.
Posted By: Omni Craig Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 08:08 AM
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Such a tragedy. frown

There's a new rocket on Shanghalla... he will be missed.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/01/12 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
I just made the connection as well, as I didn't visit MMB last night. I saw some references from several LMBers on FB and thought a celebrity or something had died. This is much, much worse.

Never met the guy (or, regretfully, any of you to this point), but he always came off as sweet and genuine as you guys who have met him say.

This is a terrible, terrible loss for our community. as terrible as it is for us, I can't comprehend how horrible it is and will be for his wife, his family and his unborn daughter. It's taking everything I can muster to keep from crying because the tragedy of this is so overwhelming. The only reason I fight it is because my wife and little boys are all very nearby, and i don't want to upset them.

Just wanted you to know that I love all you guys, and I feel privileged to know all of you.

Rest in peace, John.
hug love
This is so sad. I wish I had been able to meet him. I really hope his wife is okay.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/03/12 06:45 PM
I just read a beautiful memorial for John by his old CBS guy. If you're on FB and don't see it on your news feed, look Biff Smith up under John's friend list to find it.

I also recently "liked" it if that helps.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/04/12 09:48 AM
Shocking, and terribly sad. He was someone who was just comfortable to be with as soon as you meet him, and very funny, in a quiet way.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 02/05/12 12:48 AM
John's widow Addie posted this on Facebook:

The Memorial for John Harrison will be held at Fort Washington Collegiate Church on Wednesday February 8th at 5pm at 729 West 181 Street, NYC 10033.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 05/03/12 01:08 PM
John's widow Addie has just posted on Facebook that she has giving birth to their daughter Amalia Barbara Beverly Harrison. Born May 3rd, 2012. 2:23am. 6lbs. 2 oz.

She posted a picture and I'll ask her in a couple of days if I can post it here.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 05/03/12 03:29 PM
Congratulations to Addie.

Welcome, Amalia.

hug I hope you are both getting the love and support you deserve right now. Take good care of yourselves.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 05/04/12 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
John's widow Addie has just posted on Facebook that she has giving birth to their daughter Amalia Barbara Beverly Harrison. Born May 3rd, 2012. 2:23am. 6lbs. 2 oz.

She posted a picture and I'll ask her in a couple of days if I can post it here.
Here is the picture.

[Linked Image]

She said she would be taking one with John's Legion rings when they get home from the hospital and she would send it along to me.
Posted By: Pov Re: Rest in peace, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN - 05/04/12 10:47 PM
sigh She's beautiful. So sad that John won't get to watch her grow up... frown
© Legion World