Legion World
I thought about posting this in the New York Con thread, but it seemed more appropriate to have it's own. Having never met any Legion Worlder to date, I've often wondered what it would be like.

If I ever DO go to one of these things and meet some of you guys, I have a feeling I would come off as a blithering idiot! I'd be saying, "Dude, this is so WEIRD!" several times and in different wording that I don't think I'd be all that engaging. "Dude, you're Cobalt Kid...and you're Ceej---I mean Ceej! And you're Quislet and you're....."

Is that how it happened? Help a LWer-meeting virgin out by sharing YOUR first time!
"Whoa!" = Most commonly heard expression from a Legion Worlder hitting the floor at SDCC.
"Nice to met you" while thinking "You look nothing like how I pictured you looking."

Then there is the dilemma of using Legion World name vs real name. For most of the people I've met, I still think of and refer to them by their screen name.
My favorite exchange from San Diego last year:

I had never met anyone in person, so on my way to the convention center, I stopped at Horton Plaza and bought a small stuffed penguin. When I finally found the Legion World table and started introducing myself, someone asked why I had a penguin in my pocket and I replied "So everyone will know who I am." A guy standing about two feet from me heard that and said "Rocky?". It was Outdoor Miner. smile
Posted By: Yk Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 02/05/09 06:36 PM
The Wizard World Dallas meet-up was awesome. I can't really describe it. Lash looked and acted almost exactly like I had imagined but everybody else was a huge surprise.
Yeah, (as I recall) we mostly used each other's LW names. It was so cool being called "Yellow Kid" in a crowd of hundreds of fans. One fantastic part was the fear in Mark Waid's eyes when we took over the front row at the Legion panel.
Awesomeness squared.
[snip]
One fantastic part was the fear in Mark Waid's eyes when we took over the front row at the Legion panel.
lol lol lol
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
One fantastic part was the fear in Mark Waid's eyes when we took over the front row at the Legion panel.
Do tell! Did y'all have LW I.D. on you or something? Did y'all give him the third degree? nod
When I finally gave in and met my first LWer, it was after several years of knowing others had met. It was Poverty Lad in Jan/Feb 2004, and we’d been ‘talking’ online since about 2001/2002, though I had only recently come back from a very long absence from the internet of about two years, and had found Legion World and settled in for four months. Despite all that history together, I was pretty nervous at first to meet him! Of course, I was going to his residence, so if he wanted to chop me up into little pieces and mail them to other posters (I would assume Lash), I had no real plan of escape. Long story short, it was only awkward for about twenty seconds and then we were like old friends (which we kind of were). Plus, Pov is really cool so we basically called each other “Pov” and “Cobie” while interspersing “Des” and “Bri” at various times. The next Legion Worlder I met was Faraway Lad, whom I had been talking to online since 2000. So that too was like an old friend. Now when I see them both (having met them both in real life several times), I give them a big hug. I’ve known them both almost a decade, even if I only met them both about five years ago.

But, you are right Lardy, its pretty awkward at first. I gave up several years ago (I’ve met about 22-ish LWers in real life by now) on calling everyone by their real names. I generally call them not by their username but their board nicknames. So when I met Gary (Nightcrawler), I was calling him ‘Nighty’. Beth is Cali, CJ is ‘Ceej’, Rob is Quis, etc., etc.

Even after all these years, when I went to San Diego, after having met about half the people already at various other places, I was a little nervous/awkward for the briefest second. I was totally fine until Caliente called me and we had that fifteen second “Cobie” / “Cali” / unsure what to call the person moment and then both started to laugh. Then we were texting while I was flying (I’d met her before) so I thought I was okay again and then I got slightly nervous at the airport, but it was Abin who showed up to get me (who I happen to actually call by his first name, Chuck), and that was more fun than anything because unlike me, who is a lot less over the top in real life, Chuck is the opposite, and is actually CRAZIER in real life laugh . Then I met CJ, Monkey-Eater Lad and Actor Lad for the first time, and by then I’d been with Cali for like an hour so I was cool again, and I just jumped right into it, calling them “Mel”, “Actor” and “Ceej”, who I was rooming with—after never having met him before in real life (and it rocked, shotgun Ceej as my roommate for the next fifty meet-ups).

San Diego was especially cool for me because it mixed people I’d never met before with people I’d met several times, like Quis and Kent. Faraway and Gigi were there, who I greeted with a huge hug, and so was Stuey, and Stu and I led a charge of drinking multiple shots and beers that resulted in a mob forming to free Pam from the evil clutches of Judd Winnick.

Usually you just dive right in, act a little dorky (or cool in my case tongue ), and notice everyone else act slightly dorky too. Its actually a little more funny to hear people talk about the comic books in person than online—its like you look around think “wow, I hope no normal (re: non-comic book readers) are listening!” laugh
PS - I have to meet you (Lardy) and Lash! We've been posting together since 2000 (or prior?), and are founders of the LMB! It must happen!

PPS - it was really cool when I met Cru, since we've been posting together since 1999, and have been great online friends since 2000.
PPPS - oh, I also met Exnihil first at the Geoff Johns panel before I actually met him on LW! He saw one of my pics and was like, 'hey didn't I meet you at San Diego?'. Very cool. It was after I asked Geoff to kill off Dream Boy in Lo3W.
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
PS - I have to meet you (Lardy) and Lash! We've been posting together since 2000 (or prior?), and are founders of the LMB! It must happen!
Yeah, it's GOTTA happen, someday--however, it may cause the space-time continuum to IMPLODE or something should it actually occur! Are we willing to take that risk? laugh
Posted By: Yk Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 02/05/09 07:27 PM
Originally posted by LardLad:
Do tell! Did y'all have LW I.D. on you or something? Did y'all give him the third degree? nod [/QB]
Did we ever!
Of course we each had badges with our LW names and had been chatting with Barry for hours so he knew who we were already. (giggle fit)
That promo copy of Teen Titans/Legion with Mark, Barry and Steve Wacker's signatures has a special place on my wall.
It seems LW has been much kinder to Barry than it has The Waid, even though they were really co-conspirators. I guess Barry's such a nice guy and draws such purty pitchers, he gets a pass! nod
Dude, I have built such a wild, crazy, over-the-top persona on the boards, I know anyone who ever meets me wouldn't be able to help but be disappointed! Lard Lad is kinda my pure unadulterated id let loose and ungoverned by my ego and superego. Real Lardy gets drunk maybe 2 or 3 times a year, has been married 15 years and reads and watches TV a lot. Boring, huh? *yawn*

So my worry is, is it better to let the legend live on or let Dorothy see the little man behind the curtain? shrug
The Wizard World Dallas meet-up was awesome. I can't really describe it. Lash looked and acted almost exactly like I had imagined but everybody else was a huge surprise.
Yeah, (as I recall) we mostly used each other's LW names. It was so cool being called "Yellow Kid" in a crowd of hundreds of fans. One fantastic part was the fear in Mark Waid's eyes when we took over the front row at the Legion panel.
Awesomeness squared.
Even better was when Steve Wacker looked over at us and said "Oh, it's the internet!"
It seems LW has been much kinder to Barry than it has The Waid, even though they were really co-conspirators. I guess Barry's such a nice guy and draws such purty pitchers, he gets a pass! nod
Well, I think it has more to do with the fact that Barry interacted with us here at Legion World. So, he is more like a friend rather than a creator to criticize
Dude, I have built such a wild, crazy, over-the-top persona on the boards, I know anyone who ever meets me wouldn't be able to help but be disappointed! Lard Lad is kinda my pure unadulterated id let loose and ungoverned by my ego and superego. Real Lardy gets drunk maybe 2 or 3 times a year, has been married 15 years and reads and watches TV a lot. Boring, huh? *yawn*

So my worry is, is it better to let the legend live on or let Dorothy see the little man behind the curtain? shrug
Or is your worry that your pure unadultrated id will come out whil with us?
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Or is your worry that your pure unadultrated id will come out whil with us?
Scary thought. eek

wink
PPPS - oh, I also met Exnihil first at the Geoff Johns panel before I actually met him on LW!
I think, given the LW presence at SD, I probably hold the record for meeting for the greatest number of LWers in person prior to actually meeting them online!

Over the course of that weekend, I either spoke to, or sat next to in panels: Cobie, CJ, Cali, Kent, Nightcrawler, Rocky, Klordny, Quiet Darkness, and Suddenly Seymour... while having no idea who they were on this board.

I think the funniest thing is, while looking at SD pictures online, I came across Director Lad's photos. I appear in one of them, captioned, "Is this one of ours, or just some random passerby?" smile

Now... Lardy, you want something that will blow your mind?

The Adv. 247 you won during Survivor:Marzal? I actually got that at SD and was showing it off to anyone who would look. At different times, Nighty, Kent, and Klordny all handled it... as well as both Mark Waid and Keith Giffen. So... if you know any CSI types who can extract DNA from a comic book bag... you have the awesome potential to clone both your own Legion creative team and mini-fan base!
Originally posted by Exnihil:

Now... Lardy, you want something that will blow your mind?

The Adv. 247 you won during Survivor:Marzal? I actually got that at SD and was showing it off to anyone who would look. At different times, Nighty, Kent, and Klordny all handled it... as well as both Mark Waid and Keith Giffen. So... if you know any CSI types who can extract DNA from a comic book bag... you have the awesome potential to clone both your own Legion creative team and mini-fan base!
Waid and Giffen touched it?!?!? They don't have their own damn 247s?!?! mad

laugh

Seriously, what was the situation? "Hi, Keith...Hi, Mark! Wanna touch my 247?" smile
I was hanging around at the back of the room before the KG panel kicked off talking to Waid, who was also just hanging out, when all of sudden Giffen just wandered in and joined in the conversation... so cool!

Seriously, what was the situation? "Hi, Keith...Hi, Mark! Wanna touch my 247?" smile
Sure... it was offered to Waid... but Giffen? He's all hands. wink

I think we all allow for that, and expect the real us to be a little tamer than the boards. As Cobie said, Abin is really the only one more over the top in real life. Well, Ceej too, but Abin's had more practice.
I think Dalls was a key ice-breaker. While some of us (not me) had met each other a little here and there, it was generally msall gatherisnf of two or threee, as I understand it (maybe aound 6 at San D 04).

But Dallas just had such a life-force of its own, a true bonding event, and I think our energy carried over onto the board and encouraged more and more.

Dallas was the first time I've ever met any LWers, and only the third time I'd ever met any internet friends (the other two had less than desireable results. not awful, but...).

I've met around 42 (if I recall correctly) of you, and it's been great.
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 02/06/09 03:21 AM
Then there is the dilemma of using Legion World name vs real name. For most of the people I've met, I still think of and refer to them by their screen name.
We had no problem shouting "LOSER!" across the room to Bill at our first face-to-face with him on our Niagara adventure with Gigi and Far... lol
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 02/06/09 03:22 AM
[b] The Wizard World Dallas meet-up was awesome. I can't really describe it. Lash looked and acted almost exactly like I had imagined but everybody else was a huge surprise.
Awesomeness squared.
Even better was when Steve Wacker looked over at us and said "Oh, it's the internet!"[/b]
<strike>One</strike>two of my faves... nod rotflmao
I think I have had the most Legion Worlders in my house.

Kent, Loser Lad, & Outdoor Miner sleeping over for Wizard World Boston, Faraway came up for a gab session, and Pov to use my bathroom.
Posted By: .. Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 02/06/09 06:59 AM
I had a great time when I met my first (and only) Lwer...Kent.
We went on a bar hopping adventure. It was a little odd to be talking comics in a bar, but lots of fun.
Dude, I have built such a wild, crazy, over-the-top persona on the boards, I know anyone who ever meets me wouldn't be able to help but be disappointed!
Rather, I think I'd be relieved. wink Just kidding!

The first time I met LWers was at Boston. Almost everyone else had arrived and was waiting together, so I got to meet them all at once and it was a great feeling, but a bit overwhelming! It took a while to call people by their real names and not their board names.

Cobie arrived the next day and I probably embarrassed him by kissing him (on the cheek, like Auntie Cramer). It's a common way to greet people where I was raised, in Quebec, but not much in the States.

I thought people matched their board personalities - not the outrageous fantasy stuff, but the way they spoke, their interests and opinions. Except Abin was more outrageous in real life...
Oh, and I think Quis is trying to set a record for being in bed with the most Legion Worlders. I lost count at San Diego....
well, truth be told ... I rarely bite people ... at least not the first time we meet ...
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LardLad:
[qb] Cobie arrived the next day and I probably embarrassed him by kissing him (on the cheek, like Auntie Cramer). It's a common way to greet people where I was raised, in Quebec, but not much in the States.
Best part of WWBoston! smile
Oh, and I think Quis is trying to set a record for being in bed with the most Legion Worlders. I lost count at San Diego....
Interesting! I thought the CJ/Cali/Cobie sleeping experience was unique laugh
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 02/06/09 05:47 PM
You kids and your consarned bedhoppin... shake wink
None of the LWers I've met had ever seen a picture of me before -- so I usually had the element of surprise.

I met internet friends for the first time when I visited England. Not Faraway or Ultra Matthew, though -- I met both of them for the first time when they were visiting the US.

I've visited a couple of LWers' homes (two of Pov's), and a number have visited me, but only one LWer has been to my current residence (and he brought a nice housewarming present).

It's funny how everyone says Abin is more over-the-top in real life -- it's totally true. He also wears a distinctive hat, and is afraid of heights.

Cobie was actually quite shy when I first met him (in the company of Pov). By the second time we met, that had changed. I suspect Lardy'll be the same way when I eventually meet him. (He owes me a meal, by the way.)

I'm much more sedate than my online persona, except when I've had a couple of drinks. Then, all bets are off...
As I've said before, I doubt I'll ever get to SD or NYC or even Dallas for a convention. I'm still planning to be at Heroes Convention in Charlotte, NC June 19-21, 2009. Here\'s more info. George Perez will be there, as well as Joe Staton and Adam Hughes!
I sent an email asking if they can get Franics Manapul, but I don't know.

My son and I went last year. Let me tell you, you can probably look up "Average White Guy" in the dictionary and my picture will be there. I'm basically very reserved too. I don't smoke, drink, or cuss (no, really), and I'll have been married 19 years by June, with two kids, a dog, and a ranch style house.

Now that I've built myself up so well, tongue , let me tell you this. There is a reataurant right across the street from the Convention Center called Matt's Chicago Dog. My son, Matt, thought it sounded like a good place to eat! It was crowded, but the service was quick and the food was good. There was a guy at the next table over who was probably in his early twenties. He had spiky jet black dyed hair, all kinds of piercings, a black book bag and black clothes, including the baggy jeans with the chains on them. He pulled out the comics he had bought. They were all Legion. Go figure.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in getting together there, we could do lunch at Matt\'s since that's the only place I know. My son will likely be with me and I would love the chance to freak him out discussing comics with you guys.
It was awesome meeting the guys at NYCCC this weekend ... Quis, Exnihil & I got something to eat Saturday afternoon and talked (mostly) Legion ... it felt like, "Hey, somebody finally gets it" ... too cool ...

<splash>
My friends here in Houston have heard me talk about Legion World--a lot--but most of them couldn't care less about comics, so none have ever had the slightest interest it (their loss laugh ). When I told them that I was going to San Diego for Comic Con to meet up with people I'd never met in person--three of whom would be my roommates for the con (Seymour, Director and Kent)--some of them were actually concerned. :rolleyes:

I found I was more interested in just hanging out with my Legion World buddies than going to Con panels--I only went to two or three--so I staffed the Legion World booth a lot.

One fellow I hadn't met introduced himself to me a few days in and said "Rokk Steady", to which I, not realizing he was introducing himself said, "No, Rockhopper." Then we both laughed.
I've attended Legion World get together's in Boston, Vegas, and San Diego (twice, 06 & 08) and the only reason I even go is to meet and have a blast with the wonderful people of our little group.

I don't drink, or smoke, and my language is nowhere near as "colorful" as it once was, so I completely fail to understand why Cobie, Bull and others are trying to spread these completely unfounded rumors about my behavior.

rotflmao
[b]Oh, and I think Quis is trying to set a record for being in bed with the most Legion Worlders. I lost count at San Diego....
Interesting! I thought the CJ/Cali/Cobie sleeping experience was unique laugh [/b]
I was in bed with Fat Cramer and Faraway Lad and Gigglebot girl separately and together. I think STU also. Abin declined to get in bed with me.
Originally posted by SharkLad:
[b] Dude, I have built such a wild, crazy, over-the-top persona on the boards, I know anyone who ever meets me wouldn't be able to help but be disappointed! Lard Lad is kinda my pure unadulterated id let loose and ungoverned by my ego and superego. Real Lardy gets drunk maybe 2 or 3 times a year, has been married 15 years and reads and watches TV a lot. Boring, huh? *yawn*
well, truth be told ... I rarely bite people ... at least not the first time we meet ... [/b]
That's true. Shark Lad diod not bite me on Friday. On Saturday though...
Originally posted by Abin Quank:
I don't drink, or smoke, and my language is nowhere near as "colorful" as it once was, so I completely fail to understand why Cobie, Bull and others are trying to spread these completely unfounded rumors about my behavior.

rotflmao
It's the hat. Gotta be the hat.
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
My friends here in Houston have heard me talk about Legion World--a lot--but most of them couldn't care less about comics, so none have ever had the slightest interest it (their loss laugh ). When I told them that I was going to San Diego for Comic Con to meet up with people I'd never met in person--three of whom would be my roommates for the con (Seymour, Director and Kent)--some of them were actually concerned. :rolleyes:

Someone's wife thought I might try to murder him.
[b]I don't drink, or smoke, and my language is nowhere near as "colorful" as it once was, so I completely fail to understand why Cobie, Bull and others are trying to spread these completely unfounded rumors about my behavior.

rotflmao
It's the hat. Gotta be the hat. [/b]
No, it was when he stole the ashcan copies from the DC booth at WizardWorld Boston.
[b]
[b]Oh, and I think Quis is trying to set a record for being in bed with the most Legion Worlders. I lost count at San Diego....
Interesting! I thought the CJ/Cali/Cobie sleeping experience was unique laugh [/b]
I was in bed with Fat Cramer and Faraway Lad and Gigglebot girl separately and together. I think STU also. Abin declined to get in bed with me. [/b]
Only because my Ceej gets jealous so quickly...
Originally posted by SharkLad:
[b]
[b] Dude, I have built such a wild, crazy, over-the-top persona on the boards, I know anyone who ever meets me wouldn't be able to help but be disappointed! Lard Lad is kinda my pure unadulterated id let loose and ungoverned by my ego and superego. Real Lardy gets drunk maybe 2 or 3 times a year, has been married 15 years and reads and watches TV a lot. Boring, huh? *yawn*
well, truth be told ... I rarely bite people ... at least not the first time we meet ... [/b]
That's true. Shark Lad diod not bite me on Friday. On Saturday though... [/b]
yeah, but not in bed ...
Well, I'll have you all know that I am basically exactly the same in person as online... except I talk more. MUCH MORE. Poor Nighty was ready to slap some duct tape over my mouth more than once, I think. wink

But I've always had fun meeting people online in person. I started with friends from character-based RPs, so it wasn't nearly as awkward when I met my first Legion Worlder (Cobie).

I will say that meeting a big group was more intimidating, especially when there was all that TRAIN DRAMA for me at SDCC '06. But I wouldn't have come to SDCC again in '08 if not for the awesome, awesome time I had two years before.

Oh! And I just bought my ticket to Wondercon. Will anyone else be attending? Lemme know! I plan to stalk creators once again... and probably Twitter update frequently like the OCD fangirl I am. laugh
I don't drink, or smoke ...
You don't smoke anymore?

What'd you do with that "Chuck's Butts" ashtray some thoughtful LWer bought ya in Vegas a few years back?
Originally posted by Caliente:
Well, I'll have you all know that I am basically exactly the same in person as online... except I talk more.
Yes you do, and that is definitely not a bad thing (whether Nighty agrees or not).
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
<strong>Oh, and I think Quis is trying to set a record for being in bed with the most Legion Worlders. I lost count at San Diego....
I was in bed with Fat Cramer and Faraway Lad and Gigglebot girl separately and together. I think STU also. Abin declined to get in bed with me. [/b]
Only because my Ceej gets jealous so quickly...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When ya kiss like that, can ya blame me!?
Originally posted by Raging Bull:
[b]I don't drink, or smoke ...
You don't smoke anymore?

What'd you do with that "Chuck's Butts" ashtray some thoughtful LWer bought ya in Vegas a few years back? [/b]
It sits on my desk next to the Stratosphere Mug we each received, filled with change, keys, and candy.
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
<strong>Oh, and I think Quis is trying to set a record for being in bed with the most Legion Worlders. I lost count at San Diego....
Only because my Ceej gets jealous so quickly...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When ya kiss like that, can ya blame me!? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Who said I blamed you?
Posted By: Vee Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 02/18/09 02:11 AM
[b]
[b]I don't drink, or smoke, and my language is nowhere near as "colorful" as it once was, so I completely fail to understand why Cobie, Bull and others are trying to spread these completely unfounded rumors about my behavior.

rotflmao
It's the hat. Gotta be the hat. [/b]
No, it was when he stole the ashcan copies from the DC booth at WizardWorld Boston.[/b]
Which I understand DC is still looking for. They might not still have a bounty on the culprit head though...statute of limitations I think laugh
[b]
[b]I don't drink, or smoke ...
You don't smoke anymore?

What'd you do with that "Chuck's Butts" ashtray some thoughtful LWer bought ya in Vegas a few years back? [/b]
It sits on my desk next to the Stratosphere Mug we each received, filled with change, keys, and candy.[/b]
I love that semi-transparent Stratosphere mug -- very cool.

Remember when you snuck onto the roller coaster track from the exit stairs to take a photo just as the coaster train was being launched, and got yelled at by the attendant?
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Abin Quank:
<strong>I don't drink, or smoke ...
You don't smoke anymore?

It sits on my desk next to the Stratosphere Mug we each received, filled with change, keys, and candy.[/b]
I love that semi-transparent Stratosphere mug -- very cool.

Remember when you snuck onto the roller coaster track from the exit stairs to take a photo just as the coaster train was being launched, and got yelled at by the attendant? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ummm... No. I remember looking at the roller coaster on top of the Stratosphere and thinking how absolutely insane someone would have to be to get on that contraption.

Then I remember wanting to see what it looked like from the street.

I think you're thinking of the rollor coaster you rode at the Nascar Place. If I remember correctly that attendant thought I was going to step out onto the tracks (Indoors of course) just as he was ready to start the ride with you as the only passenger.
Yep, that's the one: Speed - The Ride, in the NASCAR part of the Sahara casino.

I wish we'd been able to get you onto the Big Shot drop tower ride at the top of the Stratosphere. (It was fun, I swear.)

I like the idea that the character of Abin Quank is afraid of heights, so when he uses his power ring to fly, it's only 5 feet off the ground...
Yep, that's the one: Speed - The Ride, in the NASCAR part of the Sahara casino.

I wish we'd been able to get you onto the Big Shot drop tower ride at the top of the Stratosphere. (It was fun, I swear.)

I like the idea that the character of Abin Quank is afraid of heights, so when he uses his power ring to fly, it's only 5 feet off the ground...
LOL!

Abin's fingers were so tightly gripped to the railing, I think he could have held the whole ride in place... even if you'd gotten him on board!
Yeah, right! The two of you and LJohn would never, ever have gotten me on that stupid thing!
Originally posted by Caliente:
I started with friends from character-based RPs, so it wasn't nearly as awkward when I met my first Legion Worlder (Cobie).
You always remember your first wink

(Man, how did I not see that months ago--perfect set-up! laugh )
Seriously though, I really miss meeting up with you guys! I can't wait to hear more about the Comic Con meet up going on this week!

Keep us updated! Dish some gossip! Post pictures!

And Chuck, post some of those pictures of me and beautiful babes from all over the cosmos from '08 wink
I just printed my tickets! woo hoo
Seriously though, I really miss meeting up with you guys! I can't wait to hear more about the Comic Con meet up going on this week!

Keep us updated! Dish some gossip! Post pictures!

And Chuck, post some of those pictures of me and beautiful babes from all over the cosmos from '08 wink
Like these two?

click to enlarge

Sorry, but all those pics are on my other computer.
Cobie, are you the one wearing polka dots?
Yay! I finally met somebody, and it was Ex!

Out of the blue, I come home this past Thursday from work and find a PM from Exnihil saying he has a three-day weekend, and he'd like to come down and meet up with me! We hash out some details like when and where, and two days later, it happens! We sat down for food and drink and talked for upwards of three hours. So much conversation about our personal lives, Legion World, our hopes and dreams....it was really great! It makes me want to meet more LWers and duplicate the experience!

Plus, I got to hold (caress? love )my Lardy action figure! DO'h! (Ex shoulda taken a pic of me and lil' Lardy together! frown )
Originally Posted by Paladin
(Ex shoulda taken a pic of me and lil' Lardy together! frown )

Aren't there decency rules about that sort of pic here? tongue
Having never met any Legion Worlder to date, I've often wondered what it would be like.

If I ever DO go to one of these things and meet some of you guys, I have a feeling I would come off as a blithering idiot! I'd be saying, "Dude, this is so WEIRD!" several times and in different wording that I don't think I'd be all that engaging. "Dude, you're Cobalt Kid...and you're Ceej---I mean Ceej! And you're Quislet and you're....."

And I kinda DID that! lol

I think I gave poor Ex a bit of a complex about it! He said at one point something like, "so do you think I'm weird?"

I think my reply was along the lines of, "Sure! But I think we ALL are!" lol
Originally Posted by Dev - Em

(I KNEW someone would go there as I typed it! Dirty bastard! shake )

It wasn't THAT kind of a meet-up! tongue
You're the one who posted it...knowing better. laugh
So... Abin and Kent have both visited me shortly before disappearing from the space-time continuum.

I swear, I don't do these things on purpose... sigh
One thing was different than I expected. I imagined we'd call each other 'Lardy' and 'Ex', but the idea seemed kind of foreign to him. lol I betcha most people here would call me 'Lardy' if they met me. nod
I remember when I met Quis...I wasn't sure at first how that would go.

At this point, I would still expect Dev from Lashie for sure.
One of the first things Ex said to me was (paraphrasing), "Oh, I thought you'd be taller."

My reply (again paraphrasing), "Well, Lardy IS taller than me!" lol

I got a chuckle from him out of that.

Lardy is, after all, larger than life! He's over 50 pounds heavier and about 5 inches taller than me. nod
One of the first things I said to him was (paraphrasing): "Hey, you don't really look that much like NASCAR's Jeff Gordon!"
What a cool surprise, Lardy! I'm glad you two got to meet up!
Yay, Lardy! you finally lost your 'meet-up' cherry! wink
Originally Posted by Kent Shakespeare

Yep....and it still hurts! lol
Posted By: .. Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 05/27/13 03:41 AM
Awesome Lardy!!
Congratulations, Lardy and Ex.
One thing was different than I expected. I imagined we'd call each other 'Lardy' and 'Ex', but the idea seemed kind of foreign to him. lol I betcha most people here would call me 'Lardy' if they met me. nod

Ya know, I thought it would be that way, but once I met people in person, they all gained "real" names. When I finally do meet you face to face, Lardy, I'll probably call you by your actual given name. shrug
yeah, I'll ditto that.
It would be kind of odd (and funny) if people called me Huey in person.
I would personally have a geekgasm if I were surrounded by LWers who called me 'Lardy'!!!
If you and I get together, we have to be Huey and Louie. wink
I'm sure we can all call you Lardy, just like we called Loser Lad 'Lou' in person (in addition to his real name).

Yep....and it still hurts! lol

Imagine how much more it would have hurt if it was Lash. wink

Regarding in person names. I have to say that even in person I think of Kent Shakespeare as Kent. Only because Kent seems like a real person name.
All I know is that if we ever meet up, I want some Cheez-its
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq
All I know is that if we ever meet up, I want some Cheez-its

Er...they're widely available, y'know! tongue
I thought about posting this in the New York Con thread, but it seemed more appropriate to have it's own. Having never met any Legion Worlder to date, I've often wondered what it would be like.

Is that how it happened? Help a LWer-meeting virgin out by sharing YOUR first time!

So, when you met Ex did you go "Dude, this is so WEIRD!"?
*ahem* Quis:

Having never met any Legion Worlder to date, I've often wondered what it would be like.

And I kinda DID that! lol

I think I gave poor Ex a bit of a complex about it! He said at one point something like, "so do you think I'm weird?"

I think my reply was along the lines of, "Sure! But I think we ALL are!" lol

tongue
I think it is weird to call Legion Worlders by the "real" names.

eek
I would personally have a geekgasm if I were surrounded by LWers who called me 'Lardy'!!!

Tell ya what, Lardy: If when we do meet in person, I lapse and call you by your real name, you can call me "Eudyptes". wink
Congrats on the meet up, Ex and Lardy. I had my first Legion World meet in April. Suddenly Seymour and I went to the same college. I'm now living back in the town where we went to school. He was here while en route to a conference. We met for dessert one night and pizza the next. Swell guy. Nice visit.

(I KNEW someone would go there as I typed it! Dirty bastard! shake )

It wasn't THAT kind of a meet-up! tongue

Woulda been if I were there.
Before Facebook and the "pics of Legion Worlders" threads, I had preconceived notions of what some of us would look like based on our names and "profile" pictures here. I'm pretty curious to see which guesses are spot on, and which ones are way off the mark!
So what are you going to do about that?
Cobie, and anyone else who meets Ex during his quest, be sure to ask him to tell you the story of his engagement! nod
Ex told me that story once... it's a beautiful testament to Mrs. Ex...

So awesome that you guys got to meet up!

I should be seeing Ex again next month when I go to a concert outside Philly...
Originally Posted by SharkLad

You guys are sort of making this sound like something either terribly inappropriate or slightly illegal....

Originally Posted by Conjure Lass
Originally Posted by SharkLad

You guys are sort of making this sound like something either terribly inappropriate or slightly illegal....

Well, there WAS a parachute involved.... laugh
I don't suppose Ex would ever consider posting that video on Youtube wink
Originally Posted by Shining Son

Ask y'all to post pictures, of course!
Posted By: .. Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 05/31/13 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

do they have to be SFW wink
Before Facebook and the "pics of Legion Worlders" threads, I had preconceived notions of what some of us would look like based on our names and "profile" pictures here. I'm pretty curious to see which guesses are spot on, and which ones are way off the mark!

Well? What were your preconceived notions of me? Someone had to ask.
While I'm also curious, I would never be dumb enough to ask. smile

I also never say "Guess how old I am."
Originally Posted by Viridis Lament

do they have to be SFW wink

If they're from you, you don't wink

Well? What were your preconceived notions of me? Someone had to ask.

I always felt there was a 50% chance you were male... wink
Cobie/Ex....did y'all meet-up? If so....SPILL!!!!

nod
Cobie, and anyone else who meets Ex during his quest, be sure to ask him to tell you the story of his engagement! nod

I think he told that story in one of the "Know Your Legion Worlder" threads

Well, then, if you hadn't read/heard it before!

tongue

tongue
Actually a really beautiful story! An no kidding--pretty damn epic!

Best told while drinking a martini!
Did you ask him about it, or did it just come up? hmmm
It actually came up! I didn't see this thread and your post until later.

It was great time--and way too fast. We did meet in one of the best spots in all of NYC too!
My and Ex's meeting lasted just about three hours! I hope you guys had at least a similar amount of time.

And, um, did he deliver something to you? confused
It certainly was worth the wait. smile
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

tongue
Actually a really beautiful story! An no kidding--pretty damn epic!

Best told while drinking a martini!

I dread the day when you guys find out that I'm not even married... but, instead, merely a compulsive liar with a very vivid imagination. wink

I don't think I ever mentioned Mrs. Nihil's real name, did I? Why, it's... eh... Morgan Fairchild! Yeah! That's the ticket!
you forget... we have mutual acquaintances from the old neighborhood! And one of them is bound to know the truth about you! Don't make me go all Bogie on you! wink
It certainly was worth the wait. smile

I'll expect a review in Gym'll's, then!

I looked up the old PM last night. It's actually been nearly FOUR YEARS since I promised it to you! lol That predates, I think, both of your sons and possibly your marriage? confused

It's funny, though, I thought of sending it with Ex immediately after he messaged me about meeting when he also mentioned that you'd be next! laugh
We did meet in one of the best spots in all of NYC too!

So close, and yet so far... next time, hop on a train to LI... I can't make a martini for the life of me, but the pool is open...
Man! You know what really sucks?!? Having a great first meet-up with an LMBer but not knowing if/when I'll get to meet any LMBer again! I WANT MORE!!!!

frown

It was great time--and way too fast. We did meet in one of the best spots in all of NYC too!

Okay, you've said this at least a couple times without saying where it was! You want us to guess?!?

Um....looked like y'all were way UP there in the photo, ao: Empire State Building?

***Of course EVERY thing is "way up there" in NYC, amirite? wink
Man! You know what really sucks?!? Having a great first meet-up with an LMBer but not knowing if/when I'll get to meet any LMBer again! I WANT MORE!!!!

frown

I'll see what I can do. How far are you from an Amtrak line?
I think there's one that runs thru North Charleston. That's about 10 miles from where I live if I'm right. I'll have to double-check......
Also, at some point, I've gotta take a short day trip and meet Cranky/Mrs. Cranky/Cranky Jr (a.k.a. Rickshaw1 and fam). They live, I think, only about three hours away from me. It looks like I'll have to be the upstart in this meet-up cuz he's never talked about comin' down here! shake

Has anyone here met up with Cranky?
We went to the Plunge, the rooftop bar of the Gansavoort Hotel in the Meat Packing District. It's uber-trendy at night (every night it rages until 4:00 am) but during the day its a real chill, cool place. Great 360 degree view of Manhattan. Plus great martinis and all the waitresses are aspiring models.

There's an Amtrak train route near you, Lardy? Interesting. I wonder how long from DC? I take Amtrak all the time to Baltimore and Philly, and occasionally to DC.
Also, at some point, I've gotta take a short day trip and meet Cranky/Mrs. Cranky/Cranky Jr (a.k.a. Rickshaw1 and fam). They live, I think, only about three hours away from me. It looks like I'll have to be the upstart in this meet-up cuz he's never talked about comin' down here! shake

Has anyone here met up with Cranky?
When I was a teen, some guy fired a shotgun full of rock salt at my friends and I when we were drinking beers and smoking weed on his property. I've always suspected that was Rick!

There's an Amtrak train route near you, Lardy? Interesting. I wonder how long from DC? I take Amtrak all the time to Baltimore and Philly, and occasionally to DC.

Again, I'm not sure, but I can check. I imagine it's a fairly long ride from DC (if the station exists), esp. with all the stops.

Plus great martinis and all the waitresses are aspiring models.

And Lady Cobalt doesn't mind, right? wink
When I was a teen, some guy fired a shotgun full of rock salt at my friends and I when we were drinking beers and smoking weed on his property. I've always suspected that was Rick!

A Crossover Classic, fer shure! lol
I've actually seen all of you in person, but you didn't see me back!
Posted By: .. Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 06/02/13 05:11 PM

OMG!! Was I wearing pants? (I hope not!)

Maybe, but we should have seen that coming.

Again, I'm not sure, but I can check. I imagine it's a fairly long ride from DC (if the station exists), esp. with all the stops.

looks like 2 trains a day from DC: 9.5 hours each way.

I'd be coming from the west, so I'd probably have to switch to Greyhound (ugh!) at Atlanta.

looks like 2 trains a day from DC: 9.5 hours each way.

I'd be coming from the west, so I'd probably have to switch to Greyhound (ugh!) at Atlanta.

Ugh! puke
Originally Posted by Viridis Lament

OMG!! Was I wearing pants? (I hope not!)

Oh, I certainly got an eyeful that night wink
Literally? ElasticLad
Ouch, that stings.
It did make my skin feel all smooth after, though.
Very cool Friday night in KY (that's "Kentucky" Lardy!) meeting with kenaustin and lance's realm.

Kenny was my very first internet buddy from back in my DCMB days, and I could always tell from our online exchanges that we were absolutely cut from the same cloth. It was so cool - after all this time - to just sit down in person and BS like the old friends we are. We totally made a deal to make my next visit during Derby season.

Then it was up to the KY/OH border to chill out with Lance who gave me a personalized tour of the radio station he works at. I know he's incredibly tired of hearing the "WKRP" reference, but - damn - I was completely geeking out to see the control booth of an actual radio station in Cincinnati. Screw it, Lance... I can't control myself... Dr. Johnny Fever Lives!

So... five LWers in two weeks! If I had to sum up in my overwhelming impression of my little experiment so far, it would be:

Not one person is the height I thought they would be. The single person I actually imagined as taller than me turned out to be shorter... and everyone else is preternaturally tall! (Just kidding, guys... I know I'm a shrimp smile )
I am not preternaturally tall! I just live among hobbits...

Honestly, I had a great time with Ex! We ate Indian food and had a drink and I showed him first-hand how much fun driving through a construction zone in Cincinnati is! (That trip was supposed to be a lot shorter, Ex!)

Despite the constant references to WKRP, the folks over at WKRC must have it worse.

I really had a great time chatting with Ex and just hanging out. I have got to get to a con next year and meet some more of you!

Originally Posted by Exnihil

[i] The single person I actually imagined as taller than me turned out to be shorter...

...er.... shocked
Who did you imagine as taller?
Well, I just spent an enjoyable day with Exnihil & Abin. Ex picked up Abin on his way here. They parked on my street and I took them on the subway. We got off at the Copley Square (pronounced Cop - Lee) stop and I showed them the Marathon finish line. We walked up Boylston St. (pronounced Boil - stun) and had lunch at The Pour House.

After lunch, I took them back down Boylston St and to the Boston Public Library. They can tell you if they liked it. I like going through the McKim Building side. It has lots of marble and frescos. Up on the third floor, there were a couple of exhibits. And in one case was an old issue of "Our Army at War starring Sgt. Rock". It was in with a collection of Joan of Arc memorabilia. Why you ask? Because the cover featured Joan of Arc.

After the library we walked through the Public Gardens and the Boston Common. After we reached Tremont St. I took them up to the Granary Burial Grounds. We saw John Hancock's grave, Samuel dams' grave, and Paul Reverse's grave. Well we didn't actually see Paul Revere's grave as there were 2 tour groups around it. Then I took them down the street a bit to the King's Chapel Burial Ground. Yup when I show people around Boston, I don't stop with just one cemetery.

By this time it was time for Exnihil & Abin to hit the road. So, back onto the Red Line, a pit stop at my bathroom, and off they went.

What did we talk about you ask. We talked of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax-- of cabbages--and kings-- and why the sea is boiling hot-- and whether pigs have wings.
I guess Quis didn't sign Exhihil's Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Or, being a lawyer, he got out of it.

When is Ex going to get up to Michigan to meet me and Suddenly Seymour?
Quis is a great host. Showed me around in dark snowy conditions.
Yeah, but I didn't get a chance to take you to a cemetery.
At the rate Ex is going he'll be in Michigan by Tuesday.

What did we talk about you ask. We talked of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax-- of cabbages--and kings-- and why the sea is boiling hot-- and whether pigs have wings.

Now I have this mental image of the three of you dressed up as the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, and the Dormouse.
Well, I certainly didn't sign any non-disclosure agreement.

So... Urrk... (Vanishes into the time-stream)
As Quis said above... totally enjoyable time chilling with him and Abin up in Beantown.

We toured around the downtown area, the two of them rife with historical observations about the city and its history. I totally need to bone up on my American history, though, as listening to these two incredibly well-read individuals trading trivia sort of made me feel like that third Jeopardy contestant who never got to ring in. smile

Quis did a good job of running down the day's events, but - I notice - conveniently neglected to mention the part where he saved the day... as he literally was able to help a blind man crossing the street! The tip of this man's cane had popped off into a drainage grate and would have been lost if not for Quis' eagle eyes and big heart. Yay, Quis!

And I have to say that a huge highlight of my LMB grand summer tour, so far, has to be the nearly four hours spent road tripping with Abin. For those haven't met Abin before, he is a totally cool half-superhero/ half-cool uncle who can talk on most subjects under the sun... and several from under other suns. As we crossed the Connecticut and Massachusetts terrain, we BS'ed about life, love, and the whole damned thing. All I could think as I dropped him off was... "Damn... when can we do this again?" smile
Maybe we can do a live streaming video session where you three discuss everything under the sun, and the rest of us chime in if we can think of something to say wink
I totally forgot about helping the blind guy when I wrote the day up. But I have to say, I think the same result would have happened if either Exnihil or Abin had spotted the tip of his cane.
This reminds me of how Ex pronounces "Abin"--totally not the way I pronounce it! I betcha Ex didn't ask Abin how HE says it! shake

smile
I didn't have to ask. Within a couple minutes of "LMB chat" he totally just said it... the same way I do! tongue

For the record - according to the man himself - it's "AY-bin" not "AH-bin".

Although, oddly, he also does say "po-TAH-to". wink
I didn't have to ask. Within a couple minutes of "LMB chat" he totally just said it... the same way I do! tongue

For the record - according to the man himself - it's "AY-bin" not "AH-bin".

Although, oddly, he also does say "po-TAH-to". wink

I never said "AH-bin"--I say "AB-in"! tongue
The really surprising thing, though, was that "Quislet Esq." is actually pronounced, "Throat Warbler Mangrove."
I thought everybody knew that.
Insane amount of Legion World meetings in a one day period (not at all recommended, because the overwhelming conclusion is simply that more time with each person is absolutely required.)

Today's strafing run included:

He Who Wanders - an elegant and eloquent professor who gave both an appreciative nod at my Macbeth reference and an autographed copy of his novel;

Jerry - perhaps the most chill Legion Worlder I've met yet, who - from the very first moment I sat down - made me feel as though we'd been friends for a lifetime;

...and Conjure Lass - the nearly three hour conversation with whom spanned such topics as the nature of consciousness and mortality, the fine line between gender roles and sexuality, whether our society is heading more toward an Orwellian or Huxleyian model of the future, and our mutual appreciation for the worldview of Cranky McBastard.

All told, one thing is abundantly clear... the rest of you 100 Toothpicks folks better step up your game! wink
All told, one thing is abundantly clear... the rest of you 100 Toothpicks folks better step up your game! wink

Good thing I set the bar really low! nod
Bah, Hamburger!

I targeted you first to take the looming pressure off of everyone else. hug
Heh. Still gotta think I'm a let-down in person compared to my rep! smile
Plus, I'm the only one you've mentioned so far who was shorter than you expected. tongue
If it makes you feel any better, Conjy and I are the exact same height.

LMB shorties unite!
So I'm shortest so far? frown Wow, LWers must be some TALL sumbitches! It'd be hilarious, though, if somone like, say, Cranky turns out to be shorter! lol
Lucky I got done early, who needs this pressure?

And Paladin, at least you have a rep. I'm just that guy who was new before Blaze burned up the place.
Blaze who? wink
Heh. Still gotta think I'm a let-down in person compared to my rep! smile

I doubt very much you would be a let down even if RT you is not like Lardy.

Come up to Boston and I'll show you cemeteries.
Now Quis starts the Cemetery tours. tongue

...and notice how Ex has ignored my question...hmmm. To think, Lardy has a complex. laugh
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker
Blaze who? wink

That would be somewhat satisfying in a completely self-centered way, were it not for the fact that I'm hoping to be remembered here when I'm gone, and that doesn't bode well for said goal. smile

...and notice how Ex has ignored my question...hmmm. To think, Lardy has a complex. laugh

At the time of your tour, the cemeteries were locked up for the night.
That would have made it that much more fun.

Seriously though, you were very gracious considering it was evening, and snowing.

LMB shorties unite!

NO! I had imagined CL as an AMAZON! laugh

I like cemeterys too ... and not at all in a macabre way!

So I'm shortest so far? frown Wow, LWers must be some TALL sumbitches! It'd be hilarious, though, if somone like, say, Cranky turns out to be shorter! lol

I didn't think you were that short.

Who knew.
Originally Posted by Power Boy

LMB shorties unite!

NO! I had imagined CL as an AMAZON! laugh

Sadly, not. Lol. I'm only 5'6! I just have a big presence! XD
Just a quick note to confirm that participating in Ex's mad dash day was a wonderful experience. Fun, adventure, and community. Come back soon, kind gentleman.

He Who Wanders - an elegant and eloquent professor who gave both an appreciative nod at my Macbeth reference and an autographed copy of his novel;

That's the first time I've ever been called "elegant." smile

The visit was a lot of fun; I had suggested meeting at Applebee's or a few other places with which I was familiar, but Ex, scouting on his own, found a nice place called Bar Louie's. We both had salads and martinis!

One of the interesting things I learned was that Ex was born the month one of the first Legion stories I ever read was on sale! (I won't say which to avoid aging him.)

Abin Quank came up in our conversation; I didn't know his surname was pronounced "Quawnk." I thought it rhymed with "Quack."

Another thing we talked about was how LW embodies the ideals of the Legion's inclusivity and openness--this truly is a special place where people from all walks of life find common ground.

I appreciated Ex taking the time to fly out here and brave the heat and potentially lethal atmosphere of the Kansas City area (there seems to be something causing allergies around here) to meet me. His positivity is infectious. [Insert random Drura Sehpt joke.]
I am getting jealous of Exxy. It used to be that STU and I were the leaders in meeting LWers!
Well currently he has an abundance of time and ambition, not to mention a love of driving.

But who's stopping you from defending your title?
So ... who's the tallest Legion Worlder you've met EX?

<--- ?

smile tease
How tall are you Peebz?
12'11.5"
I am 6'3" on a good day. 6'2 otherwise ....
Not too bad.
"not too bad." HA! Does that mean to imply the mighty Dev-Em is taller?!
6' 4" 300+ lbs.

Omg, there are some tall people here. People taller than me kind of scare me a little, because I am not used to having to look up at others.
me too actually. I feel weird around them.

But I won't feel weird around Dev. He's nice.
Well, I'm pretty sure, from the study that I just read, that it is impossible to feel weird or awkward around Dev.
Bit of whirlwind travel this weekend, and much thanks owed to the wonderful southern hospitality of Lash and Lone Wolf Legionnaire.

Lash is so cool. I mean... really, really cool. He's just about everything you'd imagine him to be from the board - a warm, caring, utterly charming, southern gentleman who - once you get a drink in him - gets a little handsy (kidding... I'm kidding smile )

We wandered a bit through downtown Memphis, but the sweltering heat drove us mostly inside. We chilled out in the elegant Peabody Hotel complex, grabbing a drink in the bar, watching the marching of the ducks (a tradition where - literally - a flock of ducks is led in a march down the elevator, through the hotal lobby and into the fountain!) and catching some amazing views of the city and the Mississippi river from the roof.

...and I made a promise that when Mrs. Nihil and I get around to making a long desired tour of Graceland, that a longer return visit with Lash is definitely on the agenda.

Then it was up to Bowling Green Kentucky to chill with Lone Wolf Legionnaire, perhaps one of my oldest internet friends - going back to my days on the DC boards. Almost immediately I had a relaxed rapport with Wolfie (very similar to my meeting with kenaustin... must be something in that Kentucky water wink )

We met at his LCS to hit some back bins and talk some shop. Just by way of plugging... Great Escape Records and Comics in Bowling Green is a comic shop done right. Tons of great back issues and not at all the highway robbery you sometimes see. There were probably like 40 different issues of early Legion-era Adventure Comics for under ten bucks each.

We hung out there a bit then headed to a restaurant for some drinks and aps where we chilled and spoke about everything under the sun... from life and family... to careers and travel... to religion and politics... to Cockrum and Grell (natch!)

All in all, another great weekend meeting you guys. It's really amazing how what started out as a project spawned from an offhanded joke, has really become something very meaningful (and quite trans-formative) for me. I think it was Abin that I joked with, "I set out to find a drink... and wound up finding America." smile

(Oh... and a P.S. before Lardy asks... Lash and Wolfie are both taller wink )
Originally Posted by Tempest
Well, I'm pretty sure, from the study that I just read, that it is impossible to feel weird or awkward around Dev.

Gee...thanks.

I need to get myself out there and meet some more of you all.
me too actually. I feel weird around them.

But I won't feel weird around Dev. He's nice.

It's actually kind of funny. When I went to one Universirt, I hung out with about 6 guys. The shortest of whom was 6'3" and the tallest being 7'. It was odd when we walked to class in a group...cause people really did move out of the way. No prompting ever fromm us.

Also saw a guy once who had to literally duck down a ways to get through the doorway at a movie theater.

I don't meet too too many people taller than me...but when I do, I rejoice...cause then I don't feel so large.

(Oh... and a P.S. before Lardy asks... Lash and Wolfie are both taller wink )

frown

(I guess I have to hold onto my hope that Rick is secretly a retired Santa's elf!)
Lardy,

When I was growing up, a milestone was when you became taller than Aunt Jenny.
I'm sure you both are taller than I am, Quis and Lardy. I'm above average here but we Asians do tend to be more petite.
Lardy,

When I was growing up, a milestone was when you became taller than Aunt Jenny.

Is Aunt Jenny short? We have a similar Aunt ....
Blaze who? wink

I TOLD Blaze not to be complacent! Bah, I'm going to have to withhold my kisses to get him to post again mad
Whew!

Very cool weekend with Dev, Seymour, and Blockade Boy... but that was a freaking drive from Philly and back. I think I might have discovered the outer limits of my road fever.

Started off Saturday in Toledo with BB, a math teacher who has lived a fascinating life - including a stint in the peace corps! BB regaled me with tales of adventure as we grabbed lunch at Toledo's famous Tony Packo's (of Maxwell Q. Klinger fame) and then set off road tripping together to meet Dev and Seymour in Detroit.

The four of us convened at Seymour's house - a must-see for any Legion Worlder, as Seymour has an amazing collection of comic art work and collectibles that just about turned me green with envy. Also making me envious were his baking skills, as he had prepared a batch of gorgeous super-hero logo cookies (pics to follow tomorrow) including ones of my, Dev's and BB's LMB logos!

We headed downtown to Detroit to check out some sights, and - after an abortive attempt to do the Motown Museum tour (as it would have meant a two hour wait) we, instead were able to check out the famous John K. King Rare Book Shop. the GM headquarters in the Renaissance Center, the Detroit Riverfront, and the absolutely beautiful art-deco interior of the Guardian Building.

Throughout it all Seymour and Dev were amazing tour guides (although, admittedly, Dev and I kept peeling off quite a bit to shop-talk our LMB fiction efforts smile ) and the friendly rivalry between that pair and their cross-state neighbor BB gave the whole thing a great historical perspective.

We then capped the day with dinner and martinis at the Traffic Jam and Snug restaurant and dessert at Treat Dreams at Ferndale. That probably sounds like a lot of food and drink for a self proclaimed shorty like myself, but not to worry... as previously established, the rest of the LMB is ridiculously tall: (sorry, Lardy wink ):

[Linked Image]

I'll post to the "Toothpicks" thread tomorrow, and throw up a few more pics here, I just wanted to post tonight to say thanks again to the Great Lakes crew. You guys were awesome hosts!
I assume that pic is from Seymour's place? WOW!

Them's some TALL fellers!!! Which is BB and which is Seymour? (I already know the one between them is Dev.)
No, no... that's the gift shop inside the Guardian Building. We're standing in front of an old sign for the local Vernor's Ginger Ale that Seymour is holding. L-R : BB, Dev, Seymour, and I.
I have to say that being able to see my Dev Em action figure was pure awesomeness.

Someday I will go to Treat Dreams
It is soooooooooooooo good Quis. Too good. Glad it's at least a little drive for me.
Whew!

Very cool weekend with Dev, Seymour, and Blockade Boy...

[Linked Image]

No, no... that's the gift shop inside the Guardian Building. We're standing in front of an old sign for the local Vernor's Ginger Ale that Seymour is holding. L-R : BB, Dev, Seymour, and I.
The photo is deceiving as I am under 5'10" and Suddenly Seymour and Dev-em are both well over 6'. Thick socks.

I also have considerably more hair and am 15 years younger than in that photo.

The guns are real.
lol I think I recognize Seymour from my FB friends. Another mystery solved! smile
Yeah...that's him.

Face/name and all that now. wink
Someday I will go to Treat Dreams
I'd suggest making it part of a hash run but with ice cream. You'll want seconds. Dinner was delicious too!
Yeah...that's him.

For some unfathomable reason I get Seymour and HWW mixed up on FB. shrug
A couple more pics...

Suddenly Seymour's super-baking skills:

[Linked Image]

But wait... who are those three at the top supposed to represent? Why... it's the logos for:

[Linked Image]

Exnihil, Dev-Em, and Blockade Boy!
BB 1, T-Wolf 0
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
BB 1, T-Wolf 0

>That so BB? Heh...<
It was great having you two up for the visit (and to see Dev again). I'm glad the rain held off enough for us to catch a couple highlights of the downtown Detroit area.

Quis, I would love, love, LOVE to take you (or anybody) to Treat Dreams. It's dangerously close to my house. They make all their own ice creams, including vegan choices, plus a sorbet or two. There are several new flavors every week.

Paladin, glad the mystery is solved. And I'd love to have that Vernors sign in my house. I love the stuff, and it's a great piece of Detroit history. But man, do my legs look scrawny in that picture. I'll have to get on my trainer about that. smile

And I'm really glad that I can finally post my cookie pics on Facebook. I was holding off for Exnihil's post.

Every time I meet a Legion Worlder, I'm impressed with how awesome he or she is. I haven't met a bad apple yet. Which reminds me, I need to post my pics from when I met Jerry this spring.
Yeah...that's him.

For some unfathomable reason I get Seymour and HWW mixed up on FB. shrug

Must be the beards. smile
Those cookies look awesome, SS!
A couple more pics...

[Linked Image]

Although at first I wondered if the Mon-El one was a miscolored Power Girl tongue His torso's looking mighty shapely.

Glad you all had so much fun together!
^Maybe that's a Laurel Gand cupcake.
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
^Maybe that's a Laurel Gand cupcake.

Nah! Her symbol is a thong-ed buttocks! love
And her mission monitor board symbol should be a flying buttress!

Originally Posted by Timber Wolf
BB 1, T-Wolf 0

>That so BB? Heh...<
The Blockade Boy cookie is safely inaccessible. You may someday have your revenge but it won't be near as sweet! smirk
Those cookies look awesome, SS!
A couple more pics...

[Linked Image]

Although at first I wondered if the Mon-El one was a miscolored Power Girl tongue His torso's looking mighty shapely.

Glad you all had so much fun together!

Thanks!

Yeah, Mon-El was a challenge to condense down to a circle. But at least you knew who it was! smile

They were fun to make. I realized after I was done, though, that I'd forgotten to do a Legion emblem cookie. D'oh! And I know Aquaman and Wonder Woman aren't Legionnaires, but I'm a big Aquaman fan, and I was testing a redesign of an earlier Wonder Woman cookie.
They can be in batch 2? tongue I'm glad you added WW and Aquaman, their cookies look awesome too! Now I'm really hungry.
They can be in batch 2? tongue I'm glad you added WW and Aquaman, their cookies look awesome too! Now I'm really hungry.
and they taste REALLY good. Anyone living in the area with a baking gift need, I'd seriously recommend seeing if SS can fill the order.

I'm already getting ideas. The high school where I teach, this will be their 100th anniversary and several of the teachers and administrators are grads of the school. An art piece cookie would make a nice gift..

SS, If you're interested, I'll talk to you about it. Looking at the LSH cookies, I'm POSITIVE the school's mascot and/or the building would be a piece of cake. I'll bring some photos, an estimate on the number of cookies I'd need and see what time lead you'd need.
Wow! I've got to admit... BB looks nothing like I expected!

Then again... I've always pictured him looking basically like his namesake!
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Wow! I've got to admit... BB looks nothing like I expected!

Then again... I've always pictured him looking basically like his namesake!
Had he lived.... laugh

I think I once even posted that I do not look anything like my avatar but if you think that's a mismatch, you should see my "mugshot" picture from my high school days. Chameleon Boy couldn't pull of that transformation. I've no idea how you all post pictures or I'd post it.

Just got a look at the Detroit photo of the four of us. Ooh. Now that's a SHINY meatball!

Let me say I'm extremely proud to have been part of this adventure and am so glad I leaped out of my comfort zone and was able to meet some fun (and very impressive) people.
and they taste REALLY good. Anyone living in the area with a baking gift need, I'd seriously recommend seeing if SS can fill the order.

I'm already getting ideas. The high school where I teach, this will be their 100th anniversary and several of the teachers and administrators are grads of the school. An art piece cookie would make a nice gift..

SS, If you're interested, I'll talk to you about it. Looking at the LSH cookies, I'm POSITIVE the school's mascot and/or the building would be a piece of cake. I'll bring some photos, an estimate on the number of cookies I'd need and see what time lead you'd need.

Thanks! And you don't need to be in the area. They ship well (and can be frozen).

And absolutely PM me with details. Depending on the size of your order, I can probably do something for you.

[Linked Image]

I love how all of us who are losing or lost our hair are showing off our shiny foreheads but the one with the enviously luxurious mane is hiding it under a hat. shrug
hmmm some tall looking fellows ... I will have to sleep on the rack tonight!
And before I forget again, here's Jerry and me at Shakespeare's Pizza, the best pizza joint in the world!

I went to school in Columbia, Mo., so when I had a work conference in St. Louis, I went a few days early to visit with a school chum and then say hi to Jerry and see how much campus had changed. The whole city has changed (and not all for the better, methinks).

Anyway, Jerry was kind enough to indulge craving for Shakespeare's. Mmmmmm, Shakespeare's.

And I agree with Ex's characterization. His power is super affability.

[Linked Image]
hmmm some tall looking fellows ... I will have to sleep on the rack tonight!

It will not help you young man. wink
It might make you omre flexible though.
Originally Posted by Suddenly Seymour

[Linked Image]

I love how all of us who are losing or lost our hair are showing off our shiny foreheads but the one with the enviously luxurious mane is hiding it under a hat. shrug

He was also taking a risk wearing that NY hat...jus sayin...
That's funny, Dev. Believe it or not, I was sort of thinking the same thing - especially while I was in that gift shop, considering picking up a Tigers cap. Not because I'm any great baseball fan... but rather for the "Magnum P.I." kitsch factor. smile
So...you saw my new profile pic at FB huh? laugh wink
Buckers..Cuckers..Duckers... ah, Duckers Welcome

Must be hunting season. Whew. Given that it was Pov, I thought for sure....
So, my summer-long "toothpick" project continued on this past weekend with a couple of "local" day-trips. (Funny how your definition of "local" tends to expand the more miles you get underneath you).

First up on Saturday was a trip to the wilds of Connecticut to visit someone claiming he was Poverty Lad. I say this - at the risk of shattering his reputation - because the fellow whose apartment I hung out at and went out to lunch with... didn't make a single dirty double-entendre!

Pov is just about the sweetest and most open Legion Worlder you're likely to meet. Right from the get-go we had a great rapport (it's that shared Mid-Atlantic temperament, I tell ya). We chilled for a bit at his casa - tastefully decorated with Marvin the Martian regalia - as he showed me his pics from his previous LW get-togethers (including one of my personal LW hero, the late Yellow Kid). We then headed down into town for lunch at this great little Greek restaurant where "Truckers" are welcome (at least I'm assuming that's what the sign said... from the pic I posted in the 'Toothpicks" thread, you can see I was at a bad angle. wink )

On Sunday, I finally hooked up with lil' Rhino (and a surprise guest... well, for Rhino, that is) after an insane battle with traffic in NYC. I had been planning to pop into Rhino's bar for a while now, but we were never able to sync our schedules. Finally - this Sunday - the stars aligned as I was tasked to chauffeur my wife and her friends to a belly-dancing seminar in NYC (whole other story... don't ask). In planning it, that's when inspiration struck. I knew that Rhino had been wanting to meet Sarcasm Kid for years, but the two had never crossed paths. On the sly, I contacted Sarky and told him he should totally join us for a drink (but not to tell Rhino). Having never met another Legion Worlder in person, I knew it was a bit of a leap of faith for him, but - to his credit - Sarky decided to gamble on us. My little plan underway, I dropped off my wife and headed to the bar.

That's when it all fell apart.

Idiot that I am, I typed in the wrong address into my GPS and wound up on the completely opposite side of the city... in the middle of construction and in bumper to bumper gridlock. As I watched the minutes tick away I envisioned the worst. What if Sarky showed up and - not seeing me - decided I blew it off? What if I were stuck here for hours, and Rhino got off shift? ARRRGGH!

Thankfully, though, all my worry was for naught. I was finally able to punch through and get to the bar (an hour late) only to find the two of them chatting away together like they were old friends. It was really an awesome scene and - honestly - even if the entirety of the "Toothpicks" project had fallen through, that one moment made it all worthwhile for me. nod

So - now safely armed with one of Rhino's specialty martinis (made to perfection, thank you) - I was able to kick back for a bit and just BS with the pair about comics, travel, our shared NY heritage, our adoration of Michael Lash, and everything else under the sun (including Sarky doing his pitch-perfect impression of Yvonne Craig) that could be packed into the timeline abbreviated by my navigatory mishaps. Ah, well... all that means is that a follow-up trip is now mandatory!
GPS

~snicker~
lol

Fine, BB! You were right!

(Although, admittedly... it was user error.)
Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
All's well that ends well! But maybe next time, we can get you your own personal Kwai.
lol

Fine, BB! You were right!

(Although, admittedly... it was user error.)

DRIVING IN NEW YORK!!!

By the Hoary Hosts of MLLASH!!!!

Sheesh... tourists...
Poy gets lured to a truck stop through the internet once again!

He needs more supervision.
It was great meeting you, Exy. When I saw Sarky walk in, I had to hold back tears!! Thank you for making my day!
awwwww hug
Ex. spreading good vibes everywhere!
Got to have an impromptu (okay, so planned yesterday) lunch with Suddenly Seymour, and Blockade Boy. Good times.

^^^^^

Indeed! And I'm glad that lady said something so we didn't spoil "Wolverine" for her. I was in a similar situation with the last "Harry Potter" book at my car shop of all places (I was reading it while waiting for my car to get worked on) and was able to avoid spoilers with a quick "I'm still reading it, please stop."
You guys must've had a great time a few weeks ago to meet up again so soon! nod
Suddenly Seymour's missing, stuff from his fridge, some pie tins and an autographed Moy drawing. Lol, letting someone from my neighborhood into the house...

Shhhh, just our little secret.

For dinner I had some HUGE blackberries, half a half of lemon surprise cake, some sweet potato cheese cake, half a sea salt and chocolate chip cookie (one of the best $1 I ever spent) and mac and cheese topped with bacon, bacon, bacon, tomato and chives, all curiosity of Day-twa, Michigan.

Oh yeah, and I learned to put a comma after the word "Bitch" when it's being used as a hotophonic or something like dat.
Oh crap, I forget to buy the hoodie. Ah, next time.
Oh, and I almost had one of those "face palm," moments. I'd forgotten I said I was going to pay for lunch.....
Thanks again for that.
You guys must've had a great time a few weeks ago to meet up again so soon! nod

You betcha.
Just spent a wonderful day exploring Chicago in the company of Ms. Emily Sivana. I'll post a nice recap of our exploits tomorrow night when I'm home again after travel, but, for now - for those who have been following this thread recently - I feel that one component deserves immediate disclosure.

Within minutes of meeting Em, I had to ask her, "Say... how tall are you? Hmmm... you don't say?" At which point I dialed Lardy to tell him, "You're not the shortest!!!"

Congrats, Lardy... is that a load off, brother? smile

Sort of---I mean it's mostly a male machismo thang, y'know? grin

(Say...does that mean Conjy's taller than me, too? gasp )
Well, Conjy and I are the same height... so if I'm taller than you, then yeah. I think I'm taller, right? 5'6''?

But, in any case, speaking of height, it's time for the recap of my visit with the LMBer tiny enough that Dev could keep her in his pocket... Emily Sivana...

Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town...

[Linked Image]

So, as I mentioned above, I spent this past Saturday with Emily Sivana in my favorite city. Since she's a local, and since I've been there several times before doing the touristy things, we decided to hit a few spots that we'd either never been before, or hadn't been in a long time.

We kicked off the day at the Field Museum of Natural History, a fun place which houses very sort of "Night at the Museum" type exhibits - a hall of animals of the world, an recreation of an Egyptian tomb, a Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton, that type of thing.

Have you ever been somewhere with someone who just knows tons of trivia about what you are looking at (or perhaps you are that person)? Well, when you and your companion are both that person... the results are fantastic. Emily is a wonderful person to go to a museum with, because she and I go head to head with our factoids. As I start going on about the number of bones in a giraffe's neck or the effects of human breath on cave paintings - she comes right back with common misconceptions about jade stones, or the history of the Han Dynasty.

After a couple hours at the Field, we headed uptown a bit to cool down at Buckingham Fountain (which I had only ever seen off-season) and checked out some of the free standing sculptures which are everywhere throughout the city. We then headed to Little Italy for dinner at the Italian Village Restaurant (the oldest Italian restaurant in Chicago - where Al Capone used to dine, and Frank Sinatra held his wedding reception). Perfect for a wannabe wiseguy like me!

We capped off the night checking out some of Chicago's famous architecture in the form of the Palmer House, an historic downtown hotel (the second largest in Chi-town) where folks as diverse as Ulysses Grant and Oscar Wilde have stayed. Here are Em and I in front of their famous brass elevator...

[Linked Image]

Em is a wonderful person to hang out with - so full of life and totally enthusiastic about the city. She and I have long been collaborators in our fiction writing, so, at one point, our conversation moved to our preconceived notions about one another. How much like our characters are we? Oddly, the biggest surprise to me was Em's voice. I've always written her as very dry and sarcastic to Ex, and sort of imagined she'd sound like "Daria" or something. Not at all... Em has a totally joyous voice, and is smiling all the time.

So what about me? She thought for a minute and said, "You're a lot cooler than I thought you'd be."

Yes! In your face, everyone else I've ever met in my life, ever! wink
cool

BTW, Kent, if you're still posting, check in! I swear, I haven't been snubbing ya'... Just mega-busy. If you're still anywhere near chez_cleome, we should hang out again sometime. If you wanna', of course...

poke
Hi cleome! Been missin' you!
Well, Conjy and I are the same height... so if I'm

But, in any case, speaking of height, it's time for the recap of my visit with the LMBer tiny enough that Dev could keep her in his pocket... Emily Sivana...

Ha. Just looked at the hright difference between you two, and I know how tall you were compared to me...so this might not be that far off base. wink

Would it help if I told you I'm 4'8"?
Hi cleome! Been missin' you!

Dude! [smooch]

I spend all my time these days in Temp-ville or trying to whip my yard into shape. So far, the yard still looks like SensorGirled. However, my arm muscles are coming along nicely.

Would it help if I told you I'm 4'8"?

Depends on if it's true or if you're just trying to make me feel better, LT! grin

Well, it's not true. wink
So glad that Lardy was able to join in on the fun with Ex this weekend.

Too cool.
I must say, Dev...it was BEYOND awesome! nod
I must say, Dev...it was BEYOND awesome! nod

Would you say it was"Extra-awesome"? wink

So, as you might have seen from the "100 Toothpicks" thread, I spent this past Saturday in Charleston, SC in the company of Legion World's elite G.R.I.T.S. squad (that's "Guys Raised In The South") - Lardy, Legion Tracker and Rickshaw.

I have to admit this one had me a little worried... not at all because of the folks, but because of the weather. In the few days leading up to it the forecast was looking miserable, basically calling for non-stop thunderstorms. Well... I guess I must bring the sunshine with me, because - apart from a few drops earlier in the day - it turned out completely rain-free!

I started the day meeting up with Legion Tracker (up for the day from Georgia) and touring a little of the downtown area (including the historic Charleston City Market where you can watch the locals hand-weaving Charleston's famous sweetgrass baskets) and then making our way to Patriots Point to catch a ferry for a tour of Ft. Sumter (where the Civil War officially began). The Sumter tour was very cool, and it was great hanging out with LT. The past few years I've been beginning to learn piano, but he's made his career as a musical educator, and it was very cool to get a chance to talk shop.

After the tour, we took a ride to Lardy's place of employment to stash a couple vehicles, picking him up as the three of us headed to the Charleston Battery (now a park) to meet up with Rick and his lovely wife, Carol. And... boom! Just like that, the long promised meet-up with those three finally happened. Though, of course, I was glad to be a part of it, the real treat for me was just seeing these good old boys together, their southern hospitality just coming to the forefront.

We gabbed a bit in the battery then headed off to dinner at a restaurant called "The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene". Here's a shot from dinner from Carol's vantage:

[Linked Image]

Such a good time! We just laughed and BSed through the whole meal (and for long enough after that the waitress had to subtly suggest that it was time to free up the table for another reservation). To have been a fly on the wall, you would have thought this group gets together every weekend as opposed to meeting each other for the first time. This is also where Lardy coined the perfect codename for the wife of "Cranky McBasstard"... "Snarky McBitch". smile

So, you might notice that the above pic is a little light on martinis. Turns out that restaurant only served beer and wine. No worries, I was just going to go with the flow, but - after dinner - Legion Tracker said no way... we had to make it official. Who am I to protest? So off we went for after-dinner drinks at the Shem Creek Bar and Grill, this cool place that has a dock-bar literally in the middle of the creek. (photo over on the Toothpick thread).

It was the perfect end to a perfect day with a perfect group of friends!

So... when are you guys getting together next? wink
Just when things couldn't get any cooler...
Oh! That reminds me... I forgot to mention my favorite quip of the day.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that when I met Emily two weeks ago she summed up our meeting by saying, "You're a lot cooler than I thought you'd be." Well, I forget what exactly we were talking about (careers or life goals or something) but, on the ferry ride back from Ft. Sumter, Legion Tracker turns toward me during a pause in the conversation and without missing a beat, says, "You know... you're a lot less cool than I thought you'd be."

lol Yup... Rick's got LT pegged... that boy is evil.
WAG: I'm not the oldest anymore?
In the 100 Toothpicks thread, I keep reading the computer with the voice of Sheila from the cartoon "Shezow."
Yeah, I think Ex and the computer have a "will they or won't they" thing going on.... wink
And ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh, BY THE WAY! I suspected shenanigans re: the ongoing height thing, so I got a second opinion! LT and Cranky can confirm that I am actually slightly TALLER than one Mr. Nihil! nod

So, Ex: Kiss My G.R.I.T.S.!!! tease
How much did that cost ya?

tongue
^ Lardy, I can neither confirm nor deny that you're taller than Ex. It looked mighty close to me. And Cranky was looking down on both of you, so I wouldn't be sure of his eye.

Now you might consider asking Mrs. McBitch-McBasstard....if you dare. wink
Hey, I was lookin' on from the nosebleed section. It was like the Lusitania looking at the Minnow II. wink
The Slicked truth is... Thomas, Anthony and Phillip are three very cool dudes and Carol and I had a great time meeting them. And while we all met because of comics, and the legion in particular, they were fun, funny and knowledgeable outside that single interest. Very cool ambassadors for Legionworld.

And LegionGRITS was a hit as far as i'm concerned.
I gotta dial back the evil, twisted LT for a minute and tell you some good truth.

This past Saturday's meet-up was one of the flat out funnest days I've had in a long time!

I got to spend several hours with young Ex (we discovered that I'm the same age as his young dad) before we met Lardy and Rick. I've always liked his persona here on the boards, and now I have to say that I'm impressed with the real life guy. He's packing some good, adventurous living into his life, and he's letting us be a little part of it through this crazy project he's doing. I want to read his memoirs some day (you need to hear some of the stories he's already lived, if you haven't already) but I hope I have the privilege of hearing his new stories from time to time before then. Ex, you are definitely not a lot less cool than I thought you would be. wink

I met Lardy just a few minutes before we met up with Rick and Carol, so I had little "quiet" time with each of those three before the group dynamic kicked in. Ex was right, it was like we'd been getting together for years; you'd never know we were meeting for the first time. And if we lived close enough to each other, I'd definitely enjoy hanging out with them any weekend.

Everything I'd come to know and like of Lardy and Rick here on the boards was just real-er and more-er. They have big ol' brains and big ol' hearts, and with Ex and Carol, it felt to me that this was Legion, baby, and I'd be proud to go on a mission anywhere with these guys.

In three days I'll be celebrating 10 years since I registered on Legion World. For all those hours of following everybody via computer, this weekend was a great reward.

If I wasn't booked up with other tracking jobs (gotta pay the bills), I'd love to be tracking along with Ex to visit the rest of this team.

Long Live Legion World! nod
cheers to that!
I just realized something. I think I'm Lardy's #2...
I think I'm Lardy's #2...

Wow, congratulations, man... a higher honor in the annals of LMB tradition I'd be hard-pressed to imagine!

I don't think I want to know....

ANYHOW:

Rickshaw: a LOT younger than I'd imagined.
LT: Hadn't really placed a face to the ID but he has that "can talk to anyone" look to him.
Paladin: I kind of expected some pumpkin of a guy. He overplays that a bit doesn't he.

Which one was the teacher?

Charleston: I went though there once with the girlfriend at the time but I think the images in my head are of Savanna. Is there some really, really large mansion estate near there?
BB.

Thanks, but I'm 46, so not that young, heh.

LT is one quietly cool dude, and he's the music teacher/coordinator if I'm getting he job description correct.

As for Charleston, it's full of and ringed by mansions, but you may be thinking of Boone Hall Plantation. Carol and I went there for the Highland games.
So, who is Lardy going to meet up with next? Should we start a betting pool?

[Linked Image]

I LOVE THIS
I am going to point out (because I don't want it to get lost in all this fun) that LT and Ric have both bailed on LArdy's claim to a height advantage.

:LOL:
mad Well, those cads said otherwise in person! mad
mad Well, those cads said otherwise in person! mad

Rick, did you forget to mindwipe him? Remember, I find 'em, you wipe 'em.
Speaking of not wanting things lost...

Wow, congratulations, man... a higher honor in the annals of LMB tradition I'd be hard-pressed to imagine!

Three! Three distinct set-ups for a poop joke and nobody jumps on it?

Bah... Fanfie can't get back to this board soon enough. wink

I find 'em, you wipe 'em.

See... see... just lobbing them out there for you, Lardy. smile

Rickshaw: a LOT younger than I'd imagined.

I'd seen a few pics of Rick before we met, and of course the pics we took in Charleston. IMO, he looks even younger in person.

Which one was the teacher?

I have a job title that confuses most people -- minister of music and education. I oversee the worship music as well as the Christian education (Bible studies, for example) at my church.

I know, Ex! How's he missing all these??? Maybe things are backed up at work?

But I have to agree with you. If I'm going to be #2, what higher honor than to be Lardy's. nod

Put some more bran and whole grains in these posts. That should help him along.

I don't think I want to know....

When it flies, sometimes it's best to step out of the way.

I like to think we're getting classier! *puts monocle on*
I honestly have no idea what you guys are insinuating?!? It's like I'm trying to decipher grant Morrison or something!!! shrug confused

angel
Oh, that's just ev illllle. Grant Morrison on the legion. In my opinion, he should never be allowed out of the demented section of DC.

That said, yes, I did get the "number 2" possibility for yuks... I just prefer mine to be much more juvenile than that. Them high fallutin' body function jokes'er tooooo highbrow fer me.
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Them high fallutin' body function jokes'er tooooo highbrow fer me.

"fallutin"... hmm...

Rhymes with... tootin'?

Anagrams to... flatul-in'?

Sounds like flutin'? As in... a wind instrument?

Cripes, Rick... it's like the NY Times crossword up in here. smile

Certainly looks like the rest of GRITS crew rubbed off on Ex, dudn't it? I mean...those other two, not me. angel

***This post examined by experts and approved for all reading audiences!***

...er...why is Pov laughing....? confused
Certainly looks like the rest of GRITS crew rubbed off on Ex, dudn't it? I mean...those other two, not me. angel

Considering that Ex has made 400 body function references in the last two pages, and you've made zero, I'm afraid some kind of switch happened between you two!
LASH! I just remembered something from the meet-up last weekend....

On the highway in and out of Charleston, there is a billboard with a dark-haired dude glaring over the top of his sunglasses. He says, "You can be cooler than me."

It was so cool to see you!

The air-conditioning company owes you money.
LASH! I just remembered something from the meet-up last weekend....

On the highway in and out of Charleston, there is a billboard with a dark-haired dude glaring over the top of his sunglasses. He says, "You can be cooler than me."

It was so cool to see you!

The air-conditioning company owes you money.

lol I see that billboard every day! lol
I'm still trying to tweak the photos for the "100 Toothpick" entry (the lighting was sort of dark in the restaurant we went to) but I wanted to recap the fact that I spent a very pleasant Saturday afternoon in Houston this past weekend with everyone's favorite spheniscidophile, Rockhopper Lad.

I'm not sure why (maybe the opening credits of "Dallas" from my youth colored my opinion) but - in my mind - I imagined that all of Texas was sort of dry plains and ranches. Well, Houston's not like that all. Though not quite like Louisiana to the east, Houston is close enough geographically that it shares some of the same forested marsh-like quality. Approaching in by plane, I was really surprised how green it was.

Rocky and I met at one of his favorite local Mexican Restaurants, Pico's, where the whole staff knows him and treats him like royalty (I would expect nothing less for a prince). We chilled there for a couple hours over delicious food and margaritas, talking about our families (including our shared Italian heritage), careers, lives and loves, arts and music, and - of course - the folks of Legion World.

Although, unfortunately, Rocky's boyfriend Georges had a prior commitment, I did - in a completely bizarre coincidence - wind up meeting some other very important folks in his life. After lunch, we headed to a local ice-cream parlor for dessert where - unbeknownst to him - Rocky's mother, grand-niece, and best friend Tom (great name, that wink ) were there picking out a cake for Rocky's birthday. On the one hand, it was a bummer to spoil the surprise, but - on the other - it was totally cool to meet the important personages in my buddy's life.

About which... yep: I met Hyvvie! After our lunch we retired to casa de Rocky, so I could meet the famed "Wonder-Beagle". As a fellow "dog-person" I thought this was so cool, and so did Hyvvie, who - once he sniffed me out - considered me an ally and a trusted giver of belly-rubs. He's a good boy... yes he is... yes he is! Ahem. smile

It was a wonderful afternoon hanging with Rocky, although one thing did slightly confuse me. As he was driving me back to my car we passed his friend Tom again, and I waved to him out the window. Two seconds later, the phone rang and I heard Rocky say, "Oh, hi... no... other team." Hmmm... I thought... sure, they're probably Astros fans... but I wasn't even wearing my Yankees cap. wink
I'm glad you weren't wearing your Yankees cap, Ex. Even though I've lived in Houston for 15 years, my loyalty will always be the team I grew up with in Massachusetts: the Red Sox. wink

It was a great afternoon with Ex. Ex and I met briefly at Comic Con back in 2008, but I honestly don't remember much about it. This meeting, on the other hand, won't soon be forgotten. It was fun to see one of our board's leading citizens in person and get to know him better. I've always been rather sad that there are no other active Legion Worlders near me (Beagz is in Bryan and RTVU2 is in Austin, but neither of them have been regulars here for a long time; there are a few other folks registered who live nearby, but none have been particularly active), so I very much treasure every meeting I have with Legion Worlders.

I really loved getting to talk LMB with someone in person. Ex and I have both put a lot into our characters and their back stories, so it was great to compare notes with someone else who is interested in the details.

Of course, our Ex is a pretty incredible fellow. Who else could do a project like this? I think he may secretly be a Kryptonian. wink

I really do hope we can have another big meet-up some day. This group is such a gift!
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
I think he may secretly be a Kryptonian.

Heh... thanks for the vote of confidence, Rocky, but one quality that Kryptonians have that - yesterday, at least - seemed to fail me... is unlimited stamina.

While, no doubt, this summer has been a phenomenal experience, I think this sort of sustained travel is finally beginning to take its toll on me.

I got home yesterday afternoon and was sitting in my recliner talking to my wife when suddenly, I dozed off. 12 hours later (!!!) I woke up in my bed with no recollection of how I got there!

It's a good thing I've been collecting toothpicks... I think I need 'em to prop open my eyelids. smile
Coulda SWORN my ears were burnin' Saturday...

grin
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
I think he may secretly be a Kryptonian.

Heh... thanks for the vote of confidence, Rocky, but one quality that Kryptonians have that - yesterday, at least - seemed to fail me... is unlimited stamina.

While, no doubt, this summer has been a phenomenal experience, I think this sort of sustained travel is finally beginning to take its toll on me.

I got home yesterday afternoon and was sitting in my recliner talking to my wife when suddenly, I dozed off. 12 hours later (!!!) I woke up in my bed with no recollection of how I got there!

It's a good thing I've been collecting toothpicks... I think I need 'em to prop open my eyelids. smile

Did Mrs. Ex slip you a roofie?

grin

Sorry. That was me playing with my Lardy voodoo doll too close to the stove.
I'm thrilled that the hand that shook mine has rubbed Hyvvie's belly!

Glad you were there too, Rocky. wink

What?! No pirate costumes?! I protest!!11
Ex didn't have his camera out when we were wearing those. wink
Once again, it'll take me a day or so to get up the accompanying "Toothpick" chapter and photos, but I did want to say what a wonderful time my wife and I had this afternoon, as we joined Fat Cramer and her husband for lunch up in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I might have mentioned this a time or two on the board, but - for years now - Cramey has been super-high on my wishlist of Legion World meetups... with good reason. Apart from the obvious fact that she is a sweet, kind, and delightful person who just happens to be an avid member of Legion fandom... I've also long admired the fact that she and her husband have accomplished something that my own wife and I are actively pursuing over the next few years... a transition out of the corporate world in search of a more fulfilling lifestyle.

As the four of us sat there, talking about locally grown and organic produce, different methods of alternative medicine, and - above all - finding the balance between making a living and living a life, it was as though this wonderful couple were offering my wife and I a glimpse into what our own future could look like. I know that all might sound incredibly cheesy, but - trust me - it really was an uplifting experience for Mrs. Nihil and I.

Thank you again, Mr. and Mrs. Cramer, and we definitely hope to see you both again!
It was a wonderful afternoon hanging with Rocky, although one thing did slightly confuse me. As he was driving me back to my car we passed his friend Tom again, and I waved to him out the window. Two seconds later, the phone rang and I heard Rocky say, "Oh, hi... no... other team." Hmmm... I thought... sure, they're probably Astros fans... but I wasn't even wearing my Yankees cap. wink

Must have been quite disappointing for em to see you weren't a fan of the same team wink

grin

Sorry. That was me playing with my Lardy voodoo doll too close to the stove.

Quis, I do wish you'd be more careful with those voodoo dolls. I got a bad sunburn last Saturday!
talking about locally grown and organic produce

Oh... about which, FC... I remembered the name of that book and documentary I was talking about. It was "Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan, and the film was from 2009.
Ex, still enjoying the heck outta yer 100 toothpicks. Cramer seems as lovely and intelligent in person as she does here, though far younger than she would have us believe.
^ What rickshaw said. nod
talking about locally grown and organic produce

Oh... about which, FC... I remembered the name of that book and documentary I was talking about. It was "Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan, and the film was from 2009.

I hadn't known there was a film and will look for it.

The funny thing is, I don't think we talked about comics or the Legion at all. Too many other topics of great interest, in too short a time.
Ex, now that you've met Stoopid Cat, you'll have to swing by chez_cleome to meet Jerkface the 2K Cat, too.

(I'd also like you to meet Butterscotch the Evil aka Devil Cat, but she usually hides from guests.)
We interrupt your Saturday for an Urgent Update!

Kent Shakespeare's new status: The only member of the LMB who's met both me and the evil, rotten cats of chez_cleome!

On the walk back from the brewpub to the car Friday night, he did make the acquaintance of some nice, friendly cats, too.

Thank you. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. (Snapshots to follow.)

Whizzy cheers Streaky
Yay, Kent and Cleome! BouncingBoy

On my side, I took a quick jaunt today down to the Baltimore Comic-Con. Although I'm mostly "conned out" at this stage (having not really followed a lot of new comic stuff since the New 52), the Baltimore Con is still super good for getting some older Silver Age stuff at rock bottom prices - a real buyers market - plus it's a only about an hour and half drive from my house.

I was interested in going to this one for two reasons: One - to check out a panel with Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes (AKA Jay and Silent Bob), but, more importantly, Two - to meet up with my 25th LW member this summer, Kid Quislet (the 100 toothpicks chapter will be up tomorrow).

My wife and I had briefly met Kid Quis in Baltimore a couple years back, but we didn't really have a chance to talk much. The "Toothpicks" project provided a perfect excuse to remedy that. We each did our respective "con-runs" today, then met up afterward (along with Kid Quis's son - new Legion World member, Ksander) for some dinner, drinks, and some leisurely BSing about life.

Oh... and, afterward... he gave me the original artwork (complete with text element pasteups) for...

FREAKING THIS: (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

[Linked Image]

Ho... ly... crap!!!

Thank you so much, brother... as I said in PM, every time at look at this I just grin from ear to ear. It really reminds me so much of one of those early Harvey Kurtzman Mad Magazine parodies (like Super Duper Man or something) where every inch is just filled with tiny little background jokes.

My freaking K-Mart shirts and tube socks... Sharky biting his way into the chair (wait... how'd he do that with the Cos/diving helmet?)... Quis animating the desk (and his little tie!)... Conjie's boob window (a reference to the "tats" conversation in 100 Toothpicks) ... the Superboy "head swing" and resulting "drunk bubbles". Just on and on with awesomeness!

I hereby nominate Kid Quislet as LW parodist extraordinaire!
Oh my! That is so very many kinds of awesome!
It is indeed pretty incredible.
An Easter Egg hunt extraordinaire!

"Reboot No. 247"
Hilarious!
Looks like I jumped the gun a bit... as Kid Quislet sent a newly colorized version this morning.

Yay! Now I'll know what color Quislet Esq's "poop" is! Wait... what? smile

[Linked Image]
Crowning Moment of Awesome!
Is Quislet happy? What is that uh.. thing hanging down?

Is conjure lass smoking? Eye's are overworked. Having a little trouble with blurry vision.

Is conjure lass smoking?

That's a toothpick. (Took me a second as well).
Is Quislet happy? What is that uh.. thing hanging down?

You mean from the little Quislet spaceship, right? That's a necktie.

In a few different depictions over the years (LASH's fandango drawings, the "abstract" LMB I did a few years back, etc.) Quis Esq. is shown wearing a magenta necktie. When I did the monitor board symbols, I thought the tie motif would be a good way to distinguish Quis Esq.:

[Linked Image]

from Kid Quis:

[Linked Image]

and of course when Kid Quis did his drawing above he picked up on that.

Kid Quis also noted to me that the number of toothpicks was significant. Counting the ones on the ground, the three in the LMB members mouths, and the one in my glass you get 26. That's 25 for the the visits I made this summer, plus one extra for that fact that his son, Ksander... a new LW member... joined us. It's like a sly easter egg signature.

I agree, Kid Quis... crowning moment of awesome. Take a bow, sir.
That's fantastic -- so jealous!!
I got a freakin' boob window!! Life is complete! I think I'm in love. Lmao!
Looks like I jumped the gun a bit... as Kid Quislet sent a newly colorized version this morning.

Yay! Now I'll know what color Quislet Esq's "poop" is! Wait... what? smile

[Linked Image]

wt FRACK?!??!?!?!!?!?!?

I demand MORE

but seriously that is great!!!!
Outstanding! nod
So cool!

That's awesome. I don't know who did it, but they should do all the real lw members. wink
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
That's awesome. I don't know who did it, but they should do all the real lw members. wink

Back up one page in the thread. Better to find out then be told, trust me.
Oh that is HILARIOUS!!!
Found it. Awesome stuff, Kid Quis. You deserve full accolades.
Thanks, everybody! I have been enjoying reading about Exnihil's quest and his meetings with fellow Legion Worlders, and thought he deserved a trophy for it! This little token was my tribute. It was a lot of fun to do, and a great excuse to dust off the old pens.

(Hopefully, no one was offended in any way - if so, my sincere apologies as it was never intended to be anything but a little fun.)
Originally Posted by Kid Quislet
Thanks, everybody! I have been enjoying reading about Exnihil's quest and his meetings with fellow Legion Worlders, and thought he deserved a trophy for it! This little token was my tribute. It was a lot of fun to do, and a great excuse to dust off the old pens.

(Hopefully, no one was offended in any way - if so, my sincere apologies as it was never intended to be anything but a little fun.)

Apologies won't do it buster.

Send money.

Certified money.

to

Blockade Boy Poor Orphans Fund 501c3

East Toledo, Ohio 43605
Had a spur of the moment pop-in on lil'Rhino yesterday, as the wife and I were up in NY for a play just a couple of blocks down from his bar.

Rhino, of course, was his always-awesome and gregarious self, making Mrs. Nihil (who also met Fat Cramer a few months back) feel like an old friend and prompting her to later ask me, "Are all your Legion friends so cool?"

Yup... pretty much! nod
Mrs. Exnihil has a nice set o'knockers!
Rhino, of course, was his always-awesome and gregarious self...

Originally Posted by lil'rhino
Mrs. Exnihil has a nice set o'knockers!

Quod erat demonstrandum. wink

I am so envious of Ex right now. One of these days I'll pop in unexpectedly on some of you. Given how unexpected it'd be I'd bet some of you will walk right past me without recognizing me wink

Originally Posted by Kid Quislet

Everyone thinks it's awesome, Kid Q! And of course nobody's offended. But if you think anyone was, the best cure would be to (as rick said) do one for ALL the LW members. Heehee! laugh

Sketch Lad needs to spend less time hanging out in space-bars with frequent-flying space-lushes --- and more time at LEGION WORLD.
What LYL said.

It's very nice to see what everyone looks like "in person"!
It was once written that "April is the cruellest month". Well... if this past month has been any indication... that phrase needs to be just out and out stricken from any future editions.

As it was last year with the ludicrously ambitious "100 Toothpicks" project, this early kick off of the same for 2014 has been an absolutely amazing adventure so far. And - like last year - it's only due to the awesome hospitality of the folks of Legion World that it's been possible at all.

Folks following that thread have no doubt noted that this year's edition is way more narrative-heavy than the loose knit collection of episodes from 2013. That's by intention, and is sort of my way of making up for my lack of participation in some of the ongoing LMB role-play stuff (there are only so many hours in the day), but I also hope that those who aren't interested in that aspect are still getting a kick of watching my travels.

Of which... boom:

End of March kicked it off right as I met one of my all-time LW faves: Set! I've long been a fan both of Set's eloquent writing and his logical and reasoned approach to discussions. He's always struck me as a highly cerebral fellow, and - as a result - was definitely near the top of the list of folks I've wanted to meet. Well... no surprise... he's no less awesome in person. I was going to be up in the Northeast visiting some family so I dropped him a line asking if he'd like to meet for lunch. Quick as you can say Pizzeria Uno, I was chilling with an incredibly intelligent dude in a Wolverine jacket discussing funny books, cross country travel, and comparative religion!

Next, following some visits with family and childhood friends, I hooked up with my old LW buddy Kent Shakespeare (who actually grew up like two towns away from me, knew a lot of the same people I did growing up, but somehow never crossed my path until 2008). Together we road-tripped downstate, reliving - for the first time - the shared childhood friendship we never had, on our way to lunch with another NY native, Chaim Mattis Keller. I sometimes throw out the phrase that I'm a "fan of fandom". Well, nowhere was that more apparent than with Chaim. I've always admired the hard work that went into the creation of his massive Legion Help File, so - to meet its creator (and, in the process, find out what a totally joy-filled guy he is) was a thrill. Chaim is a great guy, passionate about his family and about his travel, having been to all 50 states! Mega-bonus points for his attempts to find me a "kosher martini". wink

From there, a series of Facebook coincidences led to my next meet-up. During the previous run, Quis Esq. jokingly scolded me on Facebook for passing so close to his city without stopping in. Almost at the same time, a post from the long absent Caliente popped up in my feed saying that she was heading up there, as well. I've mentioned before how I just missed formally meeting Cali back in the day, so I figured - what the hell - let's rectify that. Since she hadn't been on LW in so long, I knew she had no idea about my project, so I started with, "Hi... this might sound a bit crazy...". Little did I realize who I was dealing with. "Not crazy at all!" she said. "I'm there!" I spent an awesome day with the pair touring around Cambridge as Quis (as is his wont) served as local history expert and Cali served as my gateway into the horrors of bubble-tea smile.

I knew that, at some point - if I wanted this project to be inclusive - I'd have to start casting my net farther and farther away. My next few folks helped me dip my toes into that water. No... you know what? Forget that... they helped me jump in head first. Making plans with Cali inspired me to see if I could meet up with another prodigal son, my all-time favorite LW artist... Sketch Lad. Concurrent to that, I also decided to throw all reason and caution to the wind and just go for broke. As some people likely would have inferred from our not-at-all-subtle cross-thread table-tennis these past few days, there was a third party present at the Ex/Sketchy meet-up. The two of us were joined... and photographed by (and this I reveal with full permission)... a certain kicky Thriftshop Debutante. While no single paragraph wrap-up can possibly do that day justice, let me say that I count the company and conversation we shared among the absolute best of this entire project. I will let her fill in whatever additional details she would like to share, but - suffice to say - the fact that she and I spent three hours touring about before spending an additional five(!) at the restaurant with Dean tells the tale better than I possibly could.

Finally, I headed southward for the eighth meet-up of this insane whirlwind month, meeting with the wonderful cleome... along with mr. cleome, and the evil cat, sid cleome. While - of course - for the sake of fiction I might have exaggerated our wild drinking exploits a little bit, I would advise anyone who frequents Portland's finer Tiki bars to avoid multiple drinks rated higher than "three volcanos". In all seriousness, I had a great time with this pair who both opened their doors to me... and sent me off in possession of one of cleome's beautiful art collages, of which I've long been an admirer. Thank you both again... and please tell Sid I'm healing nicely. smile

So there we are... all caught up!

Hmm... guess I better start making some new plans. hmmm
^ I'm feeling all manner of emotion! Excited joy, laughter, jealousy! So, so cool!

I have to start meeting more of you peeps! And Ex, expect dates soon for a Philly binger, er, trip.
Wow, someone's met Deb--I'm impressed! Maybe we'll even get her to share a pic some day.... blush

You weren't the first to meet Sketchy, were ya?

In any case, the list of LWers not meeting at least one other (a list I was on for the longest, but no more thanks to you! hug ) is growing much shorter. Who's left? Fickles, thothkins, Edie, a handful of others. Ibby hasn't met anyone yet, has he? confused

Will Ex meet with any other no-timers? hmmm
Sketch Lad is also my favorite LW artist!

As for Exy, I can definitely state that of all the LWers I've met, he's definitely the fourth!

Ex was expecting to meet a French-speaking redhead, and he was correct! (The French was in the vein of
enchanté, motherfucker
but you should know by now that I like half-baked multilingual puns.) I figured I could press the lad into household chores, and I too was correct! Then off to thrift shop. I got some stuff. Ex ran into his past. Then on to the future, to meet Sketchy!

Well, I got to the future first because Ex was in the space-loo when Dean arrived. Then the meeting of the Nura Nal Appreciation Society was in order! Dean brought along some of his sketches and we each got one -- I got shrieking Lester Tot. Shrieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!! As you can expect, the conversation (five hours, Ex wasn't kidding) pinged around a lot, but what sticks out is our discussion of the collaborative nature of LW stuff.

To sum up: I was greatly amused. And, with any luck, we'll get Sketchy 'round these parts again. (Tawdry never left, but it's not the same.)

P.S. Sketchy and I drank the space-lush under the table, although not in the way you'd think.
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord
As for Exy, I can definitely state that of all the LWers I've met, he's definitely the fourth!

ElasticLad

*gasp* They must have all been sworn to space-secrecy because I've never heard tell of such space-shenanigans!

Who are/were the other three?!?! confused
Carggite Grendel.
Posted By: Set Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 05/03/14 10:33 AM
Ah, the forbidden thrill of walking into a restaurant and telling the hostess, "I'm here to meet someone, but I don't really know his name or what he looks like..."

[She must have thought I was there to rendezvous with some guy I met on the internet, and... she was right!]

Best of all, she replied, "I think I know who you mean."

From that, we can ascertain that Ex looks like 'some guy with an indeterminate name and appearance.' Very quantum uncertainty / Schrodinger's cat of her.

'You may not know who you're looking for, but I do! I'm just that amazing!'

Originally Posted by Set
"I'm here to meet someone, but I don't really know his name or what he looks like..."

"Of course, Sir. Tonight's internet stalkers are located in booths 4 through 6 for your convenience."
cool

Perhaps *you've* met her and don't realize it!
"Enchante motherfucker" may be part of the new LMB greeting protocol!
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 05/03/14 05:40 PM

She's Jake... from State Farm...

angel
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 05/03/14 05:42 PM

This is TOO awesome... lol
hug

Ex, thanks again for everything.

Oh, a couple of minor corrections: The stuff emitted from Black Walnut roots is Juglone. It's more likely to be toxic to Tree Peonies than Shrub (Herbaceous) Peonies, if what I've read on Gardenweb is accurate. Super-nerdy garden types would probably add that any Peony will have a rough time planted directly under any large tree, simply because they'll be in competition for water. (Uh, not that I'm super-obsessed with this gardening thing, of course...)

Also, Sid refuses to acknowledge his adopted surname, preferring to go by his shelter name: Sidney J. Katz. (The "J" standing for "Jerkface" of course.)

I hope the stitches on your arm have dissolved by now. evil Streaky

Now I need to know what's taking the rest of you so long? You should visit immediately, while chez_cleome is still (relatively) clean thanks to Exnihil's visit.

hug
Originally Posted by Pov

Are you suggesting that she sounds hideous? wink
Originally Posted by cleome47

Oh, a couple of minor corrections: The stuff emitted from Black Walnut roots is Juglone. It's more likely to be toxic to Tree Peonies than Shrub (Herbaceous) Peonies, if what I've read on Gardenweb is accurate. Super-nerdy garden types would probably add that any Peony will have a rough time planted directly under any large tree, simply because they'll be in competition for water. (Uh, not that I'm super-obsessed with this gardening thing, of course...)

Also, Sid refuses to acknowledge his adopted surname, preferring to go by his shelter name: Sidney J. Katz. (The "J" standing for "Jerkface" of course.)

Now I need to know what's taking the rest of you so long? You should visit immediately, while chez_cleome is still (relatively) clean thanks to Exnihil's visit.

hug

Super-Obsessed? pshaw. Knowledgeable is how I would describe it.

Sid's a cute cat, Cleome. And you and Ex have such a nice picture together!
The stuff emitted from Black Walnut roots is Juglone.

Arrggh! I told myself like 100 times that it wasn't "jugolone"... and then I went and wrote it that way anyway. Stupid Insane Clown Posse.

How did you like, "Consider the noble palm frond..."?

I actually started laughing out loud as I wrote that line. I slay me sometimes. Others would only like to... smile
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 05/03/14 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Pov

Never with my shins exposed!!

And as anyone who knows me can tell you, my shins are ALways exposed... wink

I could listen to her melodious and soothing voice telling me to "Entertain me or ELSE, hippie boy!" ANYtime! love
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 05/03/14 09:22 PM
The stuff emitted from Black Walnut roots is Juglone.

Arrggh! I told myself like 100 times that it wasn't "jugolone"...

Iiii'm just a Juggalo, and ev'rywhere I go... scream

ElasticLad Shit! It's Mrs. Paladin, isn't it? eek
Originally Posted by Pov

True story: Back in the day, I amused a co-worker (and especially myself) by coining the phrase, "buenos dias, motherfucker!", complete with cheesy Mexican accent.

What's next: "auf wiedersehen, motherfucker"?

Should we submit this idea to the U.N.?!?! lol
Originally Posted by Pov
Originally Posted by Pov

Never with my shins exposed!!

And as anyone who knows me can tell you, my shins are ALways exposed... wink

I could listen to her melodious and soothing voice telling me to "Entertain me or ELSE, hippie boy!" ANYtime! love

Fuck! She IS Mrs. Paladin! scream
Originally Posted by Pov

True story: Back in the day, I amused a co-worker (and especially myself) by coining the phrase, "buenos dias, motherfucker!", complete with cheesy Mexican accent.

If we do, why not go all out and make versions for every official language out there? laugh

God morgen, motherfucker!

Ohayou Gozaimasu, motherfucker!

Nzuri asubuhi, motherfucker!

Maligayang bati, motherfucker!

Selamat pagi, motherfucker!

Tere hommikust, motherfucker!

Lardy, rickshaw1, and I are taking the G.R.I.T.S on tour. We can be there Friday. Probably stay a couple, three weeks. How many couches you got?

We'll bring pralines.
WELL EXCUSEZ-MOI, BUT I NEVER READ THE "EDITOR'S NOTES"!!
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord
WELL EXCUSEZ-MOI, BUT I NEVER READ THE "EDITOR'S NOTES"!!

Hmm... somebody with a Russian accent just called for Stoopid Cat. Hmm...

Honestly! As if I need another reason to j'adore you. smile
[Linked Image]
Just wing that mother.
Originally Posted by Pov

If we do, why not go all out and make versions for every official language out there? laugh

God morgen, motherfucker!

Ohayou Gozaimasu, motherfucker!

Nzuri asubuhi, motherfucker!

Maligayang bati, motherfucker!

Selamat pagi, motherfucker!

Tere hommikust, motherfucker!

... and here I was just wondering if I could post a gif with the word "fucks" in it on Legion World.net

Now I realize the whole thing is unnecessary because no one here seems to give any fucks whatsover and the humor of my intended post will be lost like a drop of water thrown at a tsunami.
Does it involve The Count?

And zero?
Anyone meet anyone lately?
Enchante Motherfuckers!!!
And a hale & hardy "buenos dias, motherfucker" back to ya!!! lol

Weeeeeeeeellllll... over the last week or so I might have met a poster or two.

Or six.

You know what, let's just wait 'til this time tomorrow and call it an even - more like odd - seven.

Sorrid details to follow soon!
Oh... and, afterward... he gave me the original artwork (complete with text element pasteups) for...

FREAKING THIS: (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

[Linked Image]

Ho... ly... crap!!!

Thank you so much, brother... as I said in PM, every time at look at this I just grin from ear to ear. It really reminds me so much of one of those early Harvey Kurtzman Mad Magazine parodies (like Super Duper Man or something) where every inch is just filled with tiny little background jokes.

My freaking K-Mart shirts and tube socks... Sharky biting his way into the chair (wait... how'd he do that with the Cos/diving helmet?)... Quis animating the desk (and his little tie!)... Conjie's boob window (a reference to the "tats" conversation in 100 Toothpicks) ... the Superboy "head swing" and resulting "drunk bubbles". Just on and on with awesomeness!

I hereby nominate Kid Quislet as LW parodist extraordinaire!

Heh.

Weeeeeeeeellllll... over the last week or so I might have met a poster or two.

Or six.

You know what, let's just wait 'til this time tomorrow and call it an even - more like odd - seven.

Sorrid details to follow soon!

Some of us a little more "odd" than others methinks.

And I thought you said what happens in The North stays in the North.
Ah... so that's why they built that wall!

So, yes... as Faraway Lad alludes - and I've been teasing in a couple different spots about the board - I've just spend the past week traveling across Great Britain continuing my Legion World meet-up spree on an international scale. This whole amazing journey will get fictionalized over in the toothpick thread when I get back to the states and parse through my photos (650+ and counting!) but for now... the real deal:

First up was Power Boy, who I first met in San Diego many moons ago and with whom (along with Sharky) I almost immediately became fast friends. Peebs had been studying and working in London for the past couple of years and I kept promising (more like threatening) to come across and visit. I was joking the other day in the shout box about what a horrible host he turned about to be, but nothing could be further from the truth. Peebs not only let me crash at his place in London for two nights, but bent over backward to ensure that any obstacle I'd encounter on my journey (bank cards, phone, train tickets, etc.) was settled before I left his place to travel on. I can't possibly thank you enough, brother... every one should have a friend like you. Especially if they are going to London, because Peebs was also a tour guide extraordinaire! He took me on an, admittedly, whirlwind architectural tour that included Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Piccadilly Circus, Hyde Park, Carnaby Street, King's Cross Station (along with Platform 9 3/4), Marylebone Station (at my request, as the ending of one of my favorite English films, "Billy Liar", was filmed there), Tower Bridge, the London Eye, the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, the London Library... and half a dozen other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting. Oh yeah... and we did it all on foot!

From London, I then hopped a train northward to outside Newcastle to visit with our old buddy, Faraway Lad and his lovely wife, Giggebot Girl. Similar to Peebs, the first thing that Darden did was... walk me around the city! I was talking with someone recently who was asking any overall trends in my year-plus journey meeting all these people. I said that one of my favorite things is when people talk about their hometowns to a relative stranger, and then realize how - in doing so - they are actually seeing the place through new eyes. But back to Faraway and Gigi. You want to talk hospitality? Ain't nobody topping this couple for "kindness to strangers". Not only did they take me into their home... not only did - the next day - the trio of us head out on a road trip together... not only did said trip include all these places that were very personal to them like the beaches of Blyth (used in WWI and WWII and now one of the sites that Darden's other passion apart from the Legion - military reenactments - takes place), the fishing town of Craster (where the pair had gone on one of their first dates), Berwick (where Gigi used to go with her son when he was still young)... not only all of that... but also... at the end of the road trip, we spent the night in the Tillmouth Park Country House, which - oh yeah, by the way - is freaking this :

[Linked Image]

Are you kidding me? I am, effective immediately, petitioning Faraway and Gigi to adopt me. smile

From there it was back to the rail to cross the border up into Scotland, to Glasgow to meet both one of Legion World's newest luminaries... and one of our greatest stalwarts. I have to say that, although I enjoy meeting everyone, I particularly enjoy when this project has been able to bring together other posters who have never met one another... Rhino and Sarky; Bringing BB up to Dev and Seymour; The G.R.I.T.S. crew - Lardy, Rick and LT; Kent and Chaim; Teeds and Dean; and now... Thothkins and Reboot! For this meet up, duties were fairly divided - 'Boot serving as defaut Glaswegian tour guide, and Thothkins serving as resident pub spotter. This motley trio made our way across the streets, parks, art museums, and top floors of cinemas (to get the best view of the city) pausing as appropriate whenever thirst overcame us (which oddly seemed to happen more frequently as the day went on wink ) I'm not sure if it's a Glaswegian trait - or I just got lucky - but Thothkins and Reboot are two hilarious MFers, although I have to admit it was sometimes a bit hard for me to know when they were joking or not. Reboot claims that Americans have no sense of irony, but I claim that Scots just have a highly refined sense of the absurd. Whatever it was, I learned pretty quickly that a certain devilish glint in Thothkins eyes was my signal to laugh... regardless of whether or not I could parse 'Boot's Scottish brogue at the time. smile All kidding aside, for three dudes that never met each other seven hours earlier, I boarded the train that night feeling like I had just spent it with two of my best mates.

And to wrap the whole amazing whirlwind up in style, from my Glasgow base, I boarded another quick train today for a day trip over to the other side of Scotland to visit with Edinburgh's own... Pariscub. Hmm... wait a minute, "Pariscub" doesn't sound particularly Scottish. And with good reason, it turns out. PC is actually a French expatriate translator living in Scotland. I didn't think of it until typing this right now, but today would have been a perfect opportunity to try out "Enchante, Motherfucker". Merde! I'm not certain if PC has ever posted any pics here on LW - for those who know him from FB and such, I think you'd agree - with his beard and his intense looking eyes... he's one intimidating looking-dude. That appearance, however, couldn't be further from his personality. As we sat down over a pint and some haggis we BS'ed about life, love, travel, profession, and of course... Legion comics. From there it was an envigorating hike together up Calton Hill for a breathtaking panoramic view of Edinburgh. From the peaks of the dormant volcano known as "Arthur's Seat" to the fantastic architechure of Hollyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle, it was a amazing city to visit, and Pariscub was a great fellow to visit it with! Merci, mon frere!

And... yes... I did meet a seventh Legion Worlder, (in New York, actually, a few days before I left) but... eh... that story'll keep. I'm not going anywhere.

Eh? Eh? You see what I did there, 'Boot?

That there's irony. wink
Please. When you arrived you thought Irony was just a way to get creases in your clothes smile

Yeah, it's a shame I had to rely on the glint, and not the big Applause! sign I usually carry around. Although perhaps the glint was actually a reflection off the sunburn I got the day before Ex arrived. He certainly brought some good weather with him.

For example, here's the view from where I am tonight 30 miles away from the those city folks and their strange modern ways.

[Linked Image]

Just because I couldn't promise the Loch Ness Monster bearing a martini, Ex chose the city centre. Everyone knows that Thursday is Mythical Monster Martini night, not Sunday.

Whew, busy trip there!

I think Exnihil is our very own Shikari. Finding so many people and bringing them together.
Originally Posted by thothkins

...the sunburn I got the day before Ex arrived. He certainly brought some good weather with him.

When the G.R.I.T.S crew met with Ex last summer the forecast was for 90% chance of bad storms all day. Instead we got a perfectly pleasant day; not a drop of rain. We joked about Ex's weather super-powers, but maybe...it's no joke....

Always take the weather with you...

EX.

Any time your passing you know your welcome to stop over.

A return trip to "Stately Faraway Manor" with its secret underground lair is on the cards.
smile

...the sunburn I got the day before Ex arrived. He certainly brought some good weather with him.

When the G.R.I.T.S crew met with Ex last summer the forecast was for 90% chance of bad storms all day. Instead we got a perfectly pleasant day; not a drop of rain. We joked about Ex's weather super-powers, but maybe...it's no joke....

This is seriously a thing.

Huh, one from each city.

When I was booking a one-way ticket from Edinburgh to Glasgow, the ticket agent asked, "where to?" I said Glasgow. The agent replied, "Oh, nice place. You should give it a whole day."

Not to start any fights, Glasgow was more my cup of brew. Almost got in two fights. Cultural misunderstandings. Edinburgh had the best fudge place though, I crave it. And there's a guy plays the pubs for tourists there and various towns, great guy, gave me a hitch from Fort William to Drumnadrochit. Only one of two hitches (cute mail lady in the Hebrides) I got from Scots.
I love reading all your travel stories. Besides BB and Ex, CMK and Kent also had quite a few gems to share. I'm sure I've missed others unintentionally (sorry in advance if I did!). But it's very inspiring to hear about all your experiences smile
If anyone is the in the LA/Orange area of Cali, let me know, we will so do lunch. Also, quick note, flatter to all hell that IB is using my micro as an avatar. Thanks.

I don't do those anymore.
Originally Posted by Ex, in that other thread
Who would have guessed a year ago that what started as simply "Ex grabbing a drink with Lardy" would expand to a universe-spanning tale of triumph, tragedy, and several other things beginning with "T" that haven't even been touched on yet?

That's pretty much the trajectory of this message board, starting even before LW existed.

You're Live-Action Message Boarding, aren't you?
Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante
You're Live-Action Message Boarding, aren't you?

It has been remarked. wink

But, that name... "L.A.M.B.-ing"? eek No good can come of this.
Originally Posted by Tempest
If anyone is the in the LA/Orange area of Cali, let me know, we will so do lunch. Also, quick note, flatter to all hell that IB is using my micro as an avatar. Thanks.

I don't do those anymore.

It's an amazing micro, Temp. I'm flattered that it's so cool and handsome!
Hmm... somebody with a Russian accent just called for Stoopid Cat. Hmm...

[Linked Image]
So... I just took a whirlwind pass through the American Midwest as my "toothpick" project continued with meetups with the posters Mechana, Jim Gallagher, and Blue Battler.

Mechana, as most folks here know, is actually professional comics colorist, and expat Canuck, Ronda Pattison, formerly on the Legion during the DnA run, Eisner nominated in 2008 for her work on Atomic Robo, and currently rocking the palette in the new Maxx series from IDW.

I met with Ronda and her good friend (and collaborator on the "Yva Starling" series) Brian S. Roe, in downtown Indianapolis for dinner, along with another couple of their friends (a graphic designer and his wife, an art history teacher). Hmm... a writer, a designer, a colorist, an art professor and... well... me. I have to admit, I was initially a bit intimidated about being conversationally outclassed, but - apart from occasionally being called on the veracity on my "bits of interesting trivia" - I feel like I held my own. Honestly, it was probably one of the best nights of conversation that I've had in ages, causing me at one point to sigh and say, "Man... I need to get more interesting friends in Philly". As we were at an Asian restaurant, my post-meal fortune cookie read, "A stranger will pay you a compliment on Friday". Pretty on the nose, so - without missing a beat, Brian said, "You know... I really like your haircut". I am officially voting him the smartest person I've ever met. smile Ronda asked me before I left to send her regards to Pov. That's now several times I've had that request in my travels... I guess there is just an irresistible charm about pantless men.

(Warning... it's fairly likely I've drawn the wrong conclusion... do not test out that thesis. PovertyLad )

The next day I set out on a road trip to Illinois to visit with both Blue Battler and Jim Gallagher. BB is a longtime Legion Worlder, but is probably better known for his decade long involvement in the (now-defunct) online City of Heroes game. That's where he first met our old teammate Vee, who coaxed BB to come over and join the fun that we had going on here. Jim Gallagher, to anyone remotely familiar with Legion fandom, probably needs no introduction. He's the fellow who, over several years, crafted one of the most impressive Legion related projects ever devised... THESE:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=795286#Post795286

[singsong]And Iiiiiiiiii got to seeeeeee them![/singsong]

Jim was kind enough to invite Battler and myself to meet at his place prior to heading out for lunch. And... in return... I was stupid enough not to realize that driving from Indiana to Illinois results in a time zone change. So... even stopping for breakfast on the way and driving around for a bit... I still would up showing up an hour early. Not to worry, though... that gave a little bit of extra time for Jim to give me the grand tour of Casa Gallagher, seeing not only the famed statues, but also his amazing paintings, and the framed artwork for the graphic novel he wrote. Sheesh, Jim... overachieve much? wink In all seriousness, though, it was truly wonderful to see up close the work I've long admired. Following my tour, Battler arrived (actually on time) and Jim gave the tour all over.

The three of us then headed downtown for lunch accompanied by martinis, beers, and cokes (I'll let you figure out who had which... hint: the martini was drank by the individual with the best hair wink ). We talked about a wide variety of subjects over lunch including comics (natch), film, travel, professions, relationships, and meetups in general. In planning this one I was a bit excited because I had assumed that this would have been Battler's first LW meeting. Nope... turns out he actually met the founders of this board over a decade ago! A great day with this pair was then topped off by a visit to Jim's LCS. All in all, just a fab day.

And... as I mentioned over in the "Today I..." thread, on my flight home, I volunteered to take a flight delay which resulted in the airline cutting me a voucher for nearly the cost of the flight! "Free" is always the best price for any trip.
deleted
Jim Gallagher, to anyone remotely familiar with Legion fandom, probably needs no introduction. He's the fellow who, over several years, crafted one of the most impressive Legion related projects ever devised... THESE:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=795286#Post795286

[singsong]And Iiiiiiiiii got to seeeeeee them![/singsong]

As Ex was viewing the statues, a bolt of lightning hit the display*. The electricity, mixing with the Martinis, transformed Ex into the Composite LMBer: One half with Award Winning Hair and the other without Award Winning Pants!

*neighbours would later tell the authorities that it was odd to see Jim hook up all that equipment before a storm.
Let that be a lesson, kids... never mix alcohol and electricity. Drink in the dark, the better to hide your shame. wink

So, I was making some more travel plans today (now planned out to 47 people!) and decided to see what my grand tour looked like so far, inclusive of a few upcoming stops.

Possible spoilers ahead for the next few weeks for those in the know, but...

[Linked Image]

Pretty nifty, eh? Meeting Legion Worlders and seeing the world, one toothpick at a time.
It was nice to meet you and Jim, Ex. laugh
Recently, at a lesbian bar in Memphis, Tenn...

Description: Recently, at a lesbian bar in Memphis, Tenn...
Attached picture lnr.jpg
^ It's Rocket Raccoon and Drax!!! wink
What's better than a three day weekend, a full tank of gas, and an open road? Well... a LW meetup on the other end, of course!

Roadtrip!

The longest drive I had undertaken thus far during my "toothpick" project had been the approximately 10 hour trek down to Columbia, SC to see Rick, Tracker and Lardy. This past weekend, however, shattered that record with a 13 hour (!) stretch up to the eastern part of New Brunswick to meet with the poster, Dave Hackett.

In plotting out the route, I realized that my journey would literally take me about five minutes from the home of someone else with whom I had previously visited, so - a quick Facebook message later and - just like that, I was firming up the details of a Friday lunch midway through my trip with our old pal... Pov!

It was great to see Pov again, as we grabbed lunch at the one of his favorite restaurants, the Red Rock cafe, and caught up on the past year since last we had hung out. As a lot of folks might know, last November I started flight school to become a helicopter pilot. Well, Pov has wasted no time in ensuring that - once I'm licensed - he gets a ride, having already scouted out the details of his local helipads. Right on, brother... two Legionnaires in flight together? It's a deal! My mid-way lunch stop was made all the sweeter as, after lunch, we stopped back at Pov's place and were surprised by a visit from... his mom! What a friendly and fun lady... I totally see where Pov gets it. The highlight of my journey was definitely getting a hug from Momma Pov who - I didn't want to say anything, Pov, but - totally grabbed my butt... kidding! I'm kidding! Put down that baseball bat, Pov!

From there, I set back out on the road northward as the evening passed into night and one of the most beautiful full moons I've ever seen rose over the forests of Maine. Man... this year and a half journey has been just filled with so many sublime moments... it's really just an amazing world out there, and I'm so glad to have such wonderfully accommodating friends that have allowed me to see so much of it. hug

I crossed the Canadian border a little after midnight (to a barrage of questions... "You're from where? And you're going where? And why, again? A martini? With a comic book friend? Uh-huh. Sir... we're going to have to ask you to step out of the vehicle)... and, with a few more hours still ahead of me, crashed for the night.

The next day I hit the road again eastward, traveling through some absolutely gorgeous country-side - complete with moose-crossing warnings and the occasional Tim Horton's (mmmmm... maple doughnuts) - arriving at Dave Hackett's in the early afternoon. It's always great to talk with Dave (we first met at the San Diego Comic Con back in 2010), as we really have quite a bit in common - both from a career perspective, and in our tastes in both film and literature. I met Dave at his house (along with his super-exuberant dog, Cooper, who promptly covered me in dog-hair) and we set out together to downtown Moncton. After a nice lunch we toured around the riverfront area (that Dave, a very active person in local politics, is working with a group toward reclamation after decades of damage caused by a causeway blocking the river's flow). We were going to try out this cool sounding thing called "Tree-go", a sort of zip-lining obstacle course but, unfortunately, after our downtown tour, a bit of a rain shower started moving in. C'est la vie, that gives us something for next time. smile

All in all - another great trip, fabulous visits with wonderful people... and the 43rd LW martini down the hatch. Free your mind, doubting Canadian border guard... if this ain't art, I don't know what is. wink
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 08/11/14 05:00 PM
...Momma Pov who - I didn't want to say anything, Pov, but - totally grabbed my butt...

Hey, no offense... I wouldn't have put it past her! wink laugh
Just spent an amazing weekend in the company of two our northernmost posters, making the trek up to northern Alberta to visit with dedman (AKA Viridis Lament) and his wife, Disdemona.

I've long wanted to see this part of the world (ever since I saw the 2006 documentary, "Planet Earth" and was fascinated by the boreal forests) and it didn't disappoint. A huge ring of forest that circles the globe south of the Arctic circle, the trees of this ecosystem are responsible for a large portion of the world's oxygen production. Coming from the outskirts of Philly sprawl, it was so incredible just to be in an area where the air was so clear. It's no coincidence that Alberta's tourism slogan is "remember to breath".

Though obviously I traveled up during the mild season, deddy wasted no time filling me in with the tales of how cold it gets in the winter, with sub zero temperatures so severe that they literally advise people not to go outside. One of the neatest things he told me was about Fort Chipewyan, a hamlet a little further north that you actually can't get to in the summer, because the road there is recreated yearly... on top of the frozen river! So basically... deddy lives in a vast wilderness, surrounded by impenetrable terrain, with a population always concerned that, "Winter is Coming" and - oh yeah - did I mention that the animals I saw the most while I was up there were... ravens? (cue the epic music and clockwork map).

Apart from the amazing landscape, of course the real treat was meeting deddy and Dis themselves. Ever since we first "met" online back in 2008, I've felt that deddy and I had a great deal in common, both in our temperament and our interests. While his taste in music might run a bit darker than my own, hanging out with him only confirmed how closely we're cut from the same cloth.

Lodging up in that area is a bit paltry, so Mr. and Mrs. D set me up for the weekend in their beautiful home that they've been renovating over the past few years (the before and after pics would blow your mind). But the best thing the two of them have built... is their family. I was able to meet Dis's parents (and their tiny little lap dog... who immediately sensed that I was the type who would pet him non-stop) and deddy and Dis's two adorable little girls. I know it might be polite to call someone's kids "adorable" but... seriously, on this front... deddy wins.

Oh! And speaking about "winning". Ahem:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=817873#Post817873

My initial night up there may have been one of raw debauchery (my memory of the night is rather vague, you see). As part of the "100 Toothpicks" project, deddy decided to test my mettle. At our first location I, of course, shared a martini with deddy... and then had a second in honor of Disdemona. But apparently deddy has a few alts. So, next was a beer with Acid Indigestion Lass... then something called a "Zombie" with Viridis Lament... then... good lord... some sort of series of... I don't know... I want to say Tabasco laden shots with Shenu.

And then... we went to our second location...

As I say... I fear many details of the evening are lost to the ages, but I do know that - due to an incident at our third location - the next day someone was walking with a very pronounced limp... and it sure as heck wasn't me. wink

All in all, just a phenomenal weekend. It was an amazing part of the world... and two great hosts. Thank you so much for your hospitality, brother... you and the fam are welcome in my neck of the woods any time.

Posted By: .. Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 08/25/14 06:02 PM
Well I have to say we really enjoyed having you here. The only really bad part of your visit was that it was so short.

I feel I must clear something up for the others though...while I did give my knee a whack on our toothpick laden night, at least I can remember how it happen wink (and it was tabasco...tequila and tabasco)

But Dis and I had a great time with you here, you are welcome back any time (and bring Mrs Ex if there is next time). However, ideally the next time we will be living on the east coast again so the journey is a little more sensible. Also we a coming your way for sure at some point, we want a helicopter ride!
So, I traveled (by bus) down to see Exnihil. The bus ride down was really horrible. The ride was in 2 parts. Boston to New York then New York to Philadelphia with a 40 minute layover. I arrived in New York 50 minutes late. Which was surprising as There really wasn't much traffic until we hit the city. The bus company scheduled me on the next available bus, the 9:15 (I was supposed to be on the 8:00 bus which would have gotten me to Philadelphia at 10:10) The 9:15 bus was scheduled to arrive at 11:45. So, I am waiting in line to board the 9:15 when they start boarding the 9:30 bus to Philadelphia. They stopped that when they realized that we were just a few feet away at the next gate. Then they started pulling people form our line based upon their destination. Althought we all ended up on the same bus. We left at 9:45. I arrived in Philadelphia at 12:10 and Exnihil picked me up.

I did stay over at Chez Nihil. Ex & I got up early and went out to breakfast. Then over to the airport for Ex's helicopter lesson. Now Exnihil was saying to me how he sometimes thinks that people might think he is making stuff up and how I was now going to be a witness to him actually flying a helicopter. AT the airport, he introduced me to a guy he claimed was his flight instructor. They then went off somewhere. I didn't actually see where. About 10 minutes later I did see a helicopter coming out onto the runway. I couldn't see who was in it. For the next hour, I watched the helicopter practicing some take offs and landings. Then it landed near the hanger and shortly after Exnihil popped up. There you have my eyewitness account of Exnihil taking helicopter lessons.

After that, we went into Philadelphia. I wanted to see Independence Hall. You have to get tickets, but they are free. Our tickets were for one o'clock. So, in the meantime we went into the Philadelphia History museum. It was a small museum, but with a lot of cool things to see. I think Exnihil was as impressed as I was with the radios for the 1930s & 40s. Independence Hall was nice and the tour guide was very informative, but was kind of "oh is that all". Next door was Congress Hall where Congress met when Philadelphia was the temporary capital. Again, the tour guide was informative. When we came in we were told to sit at the desk rows. In the middle of his spiel, the guide asked "Who can tell me something about the chairs here?" I responded with "They are reproductions" To which he then asked "How do we know they are reproductions?" Me: "We are allowed to sit in them!"

After Congress Hall, we got a bit of lunch and walked around the city a bit. My bus back to Boston left at 3 and would get back in at 11:20. This time I got into both Boston & New York on time.

It was a short trip, but I plan to sometime (most likely next summer) to return. This time, I will rent a car rather than go by bus.
I did see a helicopter coming out onto the runway... I couldn't see who was in it.

lol

So, after my lesson (where... by the way... I totally did some cool maneuvers for Quis' benefit) I was like, "So... did you get some good pics?" and Quis was like, "No... I forgot my camera." Arrghh!

And adding to the whole mystery of my world (which there really isn't) - although, yes, Quis stayed the night at my house - because of his travel delay we wound up not getting to my place until after 1AM - after my wife had gone to bed - and we left for breakfast the next morning at like 6:30 - before she got up - so he actually never even got to meet her! Oh, well... at the very least, he can confirm that I do, in fact... have a dog.

It was a whirlwind visit, but - as Quis reported above - quite a fun one. I'm always on about how cool it is to see someone seeing their city through new eyes, but - this time - that someone was me. Good times... but far too quick a visit. That's it... next time I'm flying up there to pick him up. wink

Also a bit quick was my jaunt up to NYC the weekend prior to meet the LMB's girl of tomorrow, Karie. Karie is the 46th (!) person in my 100 Toothpicks project (about which... yes, I know... I'm horribly in arrears on posting those, to the tune of eight people at this point. I'll catch up, I swear, I've just got a lot of plates in the air right now).

Karie (a South African expat living in New Zealand) had been doing her own sort of tour about the states, visiting Vegas, L.A., D.C., NYC and Memphis (where she met Lash, but I'll let one of those two tell that tale). Never one to ever pass up an opportunity to meet a fellow LMBer in person, I pinged her on FB and suggested grabbing a drink up at Rhino's bar. By coincidence, Kent Shakespeare was also looking to meet up, so we all agreed to make it an impromptu foursome (nearly a five-some, actually, but Cobie had to bow out for a christening).

What a wonderful time! Visiting w/ the always awesome Rhino... seeing Kent again (an old compadre who shares my Hudson Valley roots)... and meeting a new friend in Karie, who is both absolutely charming and a tough cookie, to boot (heading out into NY to go sight-seeing solo when her traveling companions started a late night spat the night before). The four of us had a lovely early evening, throwing back a few cocktails and talking life, love, and funny books.

Near the end of the night, Karie got a text from her spatting companions who said they'd all reconciled and were heading out to Coney Island. Sparing her a night ride on the subway - and since I was in no travel rush - I wound up giving her a ride out there with only minimal navigation problems (not a word, Blockade Boy... the GPS was fine!). It was nice to have a little bonus time to chat, and - because I know Lardy loves this one - yes, I used the opportunity to tell her my best story, the harrowing tale of the day leading up to my marriage proposal. smile Arriving out in Coney Island about an hour later, we bid our farewells, making a deal that our next round would be in New Zealand.

All in all, two wonderful back to back weekends with some of the best folks in all known space... would you expect anything else from the LMB? grin
Man, I love these meet-up stories.

I used the opportunity to tell her my best story, the harrowing tale of the day leading up to my marriage proposal. smile

And I really LOVE that story!
Heh, thanks... me too, LT. wink

It actually took me a little bit to track down, but I remembered - many moons ago - that I actually wrote it down for a post on LW, so... if anyone is interested... here it is:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=434135#Post434135
And adding to the whole mystery of my world (which there really isn't) - although, yes, Quis stayed the night at my house - because of his travel delay we wound up not getting to my place until after 1AM - after my wife had gone to bed - and we left for breakfast the next morning at like 6:30 - before she got up - so he actually never even got to meet her! Oh, well... at the very least, he can confirm that I do, in fact... have a dog.

To be fair, I never proved to you that I have a tattoo.

I liked the day long pause afterwards, as people stopped themselves from posting "So, you think that was a busy day. Well, let me tell you about..." or "Ugh, not another tutor/student relationship. Icky!" smile

I liked the day long pause afterwards, as people stopped themselves from posting "So, you think that was a busy day. Well, let me tell you about..." or "Ugh, not another tutor/student relationship. Icky!" smile

Actually it took most of us a day to read the whole thing. wink

Actually it took most of us a day to read the whole thing. wink

I haven't read the written version yet, but it's something quite wonderful to hear it told by the man himself.
Indian Lad was home for Christmas break, so we met up today for lunch. We went to the Houston location of one Invisible Brainiac's favorite places, Jollibee.

Indy is really cool in real life, just as he is on LW.

[Linked Image]
It was great meeting you, Rocky! smile

Ibby, Jolibee was great. Thanks for recommending it! nod
My pleasure guys, glad you enjoyed smile now i am craving for Jollibee and will go drown my chicken and rice in some gravy
I'm pleased to report that yesterday afternoon, while traversing the treacherous frozen wastes of Connecticut, America, I was able to pause for a time at a roadside inn and enjoy a pint of ale with my old friend, Desmonius Primus Julianus, AKA Cobalt Kid.

It was great seeing Des again and was, perhaps, one of the most eclectic afternoons of conversations I’ve had in a while, with topics spanning: kabbalistic symbolism in the workplace, the history of Roman leadership during the Republic, the effects of the Red Scare on American alcohol consumption patterns, the meditative value of sensory deprivation, the use of ones Netflix queue as a barometer of marital fidelity, avataristic relationships to fictional creations, the care of dogs as metaphor for the human condition… and, of course, our long term plan for saving the world.

All in all, proof positive that Legion World meetups are not just awesome… they’re essential. smile
And as always, each of those topics felt natural and casual! It was indeed a great time, and I already can't wait for the next one.

Of course, it's pretty easy to be engaged in interesting conversations when you're hanging out with an actual modern adventurer! Ex just exudes positive energy and the way he shapes his life be so fulfilling is downright infectious.

Of course, it's pretty easy to be engaged in interesting conversations when you're hanging out with an actual modern adventurer! Ex just exudes positive energy and the way he shapes his life be so fulfilling is downright infectious.

You hit the nail on the head, Cobie! His fabulousness is completely infectious!
Yay! A Pre-Christmas Legion World mini-gathering just 6 days away!

Who are the lucky trio who will be breaking beers and throwing back some bread? (Strike that... reverse it.) Well one of them might be me (ok, fine, it is), but who are the other two?

Is one of them you???

Are you sure?
Awesome time today! A drink was raised by Pov, Ex and myself in honor of our pal Dev.

Great conversation ensued and most of it was even PJ-13 rated, which is no small feet when Pov is around!

Great conversation ensued and most of it was even PJ-13 rated, which is no small feet when Pov is around!

What size feet did those PJs have?
lol

With Pov, it very well may have been PJ's! It's the only time he wears pants!
Pov is the Johnnie Fingers of Legion World.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Fingers

Et, voila... Ex, Cobie and Pov toasting, "To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists."

[Linked Image]
Jeepers! You guys look like you could be brothers!
It's that NE one style fits all fashion sense. Triplets by different mothers.
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 12/17/15 11:06 PM
A Band of Brothers we be! Good times! nod

Willington Pizza never disappoints, nor does the company of CobEx! It was excellent getting to spend the afternoon with you both. Thanks for getting me out and about! smile So glad we decided to get together in Dev's honor. cheers
Et, voila... Ex, Cobie and Pov toasting, "To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists."

[Linked Image]

The threed dwarves. Doc, Happy, oh and you must be Sleazy! wink
Jeepers! You guys look like you could be brothers!

More like two brothers and one cool uncle who is pretty close in age, but old enough to buy beer, has a bitchin' record collection full of great stuff from before you were born (no... seriously... listen to the bass line here...), and who makes your mom roll her eyes every time he starts in with the off-color jokes during Thanksgiving dinner. smile nod
Any trip to Boston would incomplete without a meet up with Quis, who was kind enough to give me a very historic tour of the city! grin

[Linked Image]
Nice pic! Nice Herbert West T-Shirt! .... checks for stiches around Quis' neck and arms ...
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
Any trip to Boston would incomplete without a meet up with Quis, who was kind enough to give me a very historic tour of the city! grin

[Linked Image]

Quis IS an awesome host - he got me out of a boring academic conference in a SNOW STORM
It was so nice to meet up with Kappa Kid. I hope I didn't bore him with too much trivia. And as per my wont, I did end up taking him to a graveyard.
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S

Quis IS an awesome host - he got me out of a boring academic conference in a SNOW STORM

I aim to please.
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 09/30/17 05:45 PM
And he NEVER misses! Green Arrow and Hawkeye WHO??? wink
I am thinking of planning a Legion get-together in 2018. I am unsure if I want it to be a girls night out or open it to everyone. I wonder what peoples thoughts are on, for example, Atlantic City?
And as per my wont, I did end up taking him to a graveyard.

I hope he went up to random people and said, "Hi, I'm the re-animator!"
And as per my wont, I did end up taking him to a graveyard.

Surprisingly, no one else was in the graveyard. Well, no one living that is.
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I am thinking of planning a Legion get-together in 2018. I am unsure if I want it to be a girls night out or open it to everyone. I wonder what peoples thoughts are on, for example, Atlantic City?

I'm pretty sure Nightcrawler is hoping for a big turnout in San Diego next summer for the 15th anniversary of Legion World.
Yeah - I'll be at the SDCC get together - and since I live in San Diego, I can also host folks

Let's see that in practice...

Man: I just feel so depressed.
Woman: But it happens to lots of men. Don't take it too hard.. I mean personally.
Man: But I feel that I'm somehow less.... that my erectile dysfunction has ruined our relationship.
Woman: Look, worrying about it is only going to make it worse. I'm sure something will come up... I mean solve your problem.
Kappa: Hi, I'm the re-animator!
Woman: You see?!
Posted By: Pov Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder...... - 10/08/17 06:05 PM
lol
Thanks Pov! As I was typing it I knew it was one that would get a laugh from you.
Awwww.... So adorable!
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid

[Linked Image]

nice!!!

Now I am excited to see the graveyard too &#128521;
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana

I'm pretty sure Nightcrawler is hoping for a big turnout in San Diego next summer for the 15th anniversary of Legion World.

2018 is the first year where I feel I can actually afford to go to San Diego. Fingers crossed that the post-grad school job hunt goes well!
© Legion World